Type keyword(s) to search

DCC Q&A: Mysteries of the DCC World

• Start Topic

Okay this question came up on another thread, but is perfect for here. ShellyB or anyone in the know. What causes a girl whose original makeover look aired on the show to change. I was shocked to see so many differences.  I am sure it's impossible to cover it all, so many off camera factors. I remember Kelsey mentioning she held the franchise record for the most hair colors in a single season. Curious, people like Milan, and Tess changed so quickly. Is it personal preference, color problems, or just tweaks after seeing it more on the big screen? Insights?

1 hour ago, CompassionPatched said:

Okay this question came up on another thread, but is perfect for here. ShellyB or anyone in the know. What causes a girl whose original makeover look aired on the show to change. I was shocked to see so many differences.  I am sure it's impossible to cover it all, so many off camera factors. I remember Kelsey mentioning she held the franchise record for the most hair colors in a single season. Curious, people like Milan, and Tess changed so quickly. Is it personal preference, color problems, or just tweaks after seeing it more on the big screen? Insights?

Shelly answered in the other thread that makeovers continue through out the year to see what work best. :) 

• Love 2

I know the workout space is talked about in another thread - but I figured I'd ask my question in the thread as its more general DCC related. ( trying to not be a rule breaker lol) 

@ShellyB with the workout space being right next to the dance studio has there been any talk about people videoing rehearsals and posting? I know sometimes you guys post videos of routines and practice do maybe it isn't a big deal. Granted they should be working out but..... 

3 hours ago, Domino9062 said:

Shelly answered in the other thread that makeovers continue through out the year to see what work best. :) 

I didn't know, and as a new comer, the threads get so long it's hard to know especially if answers are somewhere else. But thanks, figured it was ongoing, I was just curious as to some of the decision factors. Man, imagine how crazy it would be for fans to suggest looks and vote. I shudder at the thought. As if there isn't enough to worry about. Well maybe you can tell me why no fan vote this year? I am glad it was stopped though. So few spots in camp, the best are needed to take them. But help me out Domino, refer me to a thread and page if easier. Did they say why fan vote was stopped. My guess is what I said.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Domino9062 said:

I know the workout space is talked about in another thread - but I figured I'd ask my question in the thread as its more general DCC related. ( trying to not be a rule breaker lol) 

@ShellyB with the workout space being right next to the dance studio has there been any talk about people videoing rehearsals and posting? I know sometimes you guys post videos of routines and practice do maybe it isn't a big deal. Granted they should be working out but..... 

We have a security guard that stands on both sides of the entrances to our studio to distract from lurkers. Besides I believe the Fit contract states no cameras...but there are always those that are trying to get get away with sneaking pics. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CompassionPatched said:

Well maybe you can tell me why no fan vote this year? I am glad it was stopped though. 

Here's my take on that... and I sure hope I'm wrong ....

It seems clear that Vivian rigged the first fan vote by having her friends and family out there logging in votes for her "hardcore" (her words, and I don't think that would shock any of us, knowing what we know now, about her behavior).  

I believe she may have actually won the second vote too!!! (If not, I bet it was super close between her and Lauren) bc she said in her interview "last year I won, and this year, last time I checked, im still in first place".  Which to me means she had her peeps voting for her hardcore again and she was checking the vote throughout the deliberations. And I don't think for a second TPTB we're gonna have that scenario replay!!

I believe Colby won legit.  

But I don't believe the girl from Waco that won last year won legit. I bet her peeps padded the vote. IMO there's just no way she would have beat out those other finalists that were sooooooo much better and cuter. I just don't buy it.  She was cut so quickly too.

When I voted one year there was no limit on how many times you could vote for any one particular finalist. Don't know if they ever changed that.  It just seemed to me that TPTB may have picked up on the fact that girls were able to pad their vote by recruiting lots of "voters" in advance ?

...yeesh, as if I'm some kind of conspiracy theorist... I need a shot of ? and to go to bed.... making no sense now. ?

• Love 3

I wonder if the fact that they have only had 1 fan vote actually make the team was part of their decision. I think it's cool they wanted the fans to be part of the process but I don't think the fan vote worked out, to me it seemed to be more of a popularity contest - whose family/friends/followers will vote the most. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Rita J said:

Here's my take on that... and I sure hope I'm wrong ....

It seems clear that Vivian rigged the first fan vote by having her friends and family out there logging in votes for her "hardcore" (her words, and I don't think that would shock any of us, knowing what we know now, about her behavior).  

I believe she may have actually won the second vote too!!! (If not, I bet it was super close between her and Lauren) bc she said in her interview "last year I won, and this year, last time I checked, im still in first place".  Which to me means she had her peeps voting for her hardcore again and she was checking the vote throughout the deliberations. And I don't think for a second TPTB we're gonna have that scenario replay!!

I believe Colby won legit.  

But I don't believe the girl from Waco that won last year won legit. I bet her peeps padded the vote. IMO there's just no way she would have beat out those other finalists that were sooooooo much better and cuter. I just don't buy it.  She was cut so quickly too.

When I voted one year there was no limit on how many times you could vote for any one particular finalist. Don't know if they ever changed that.  It just seemed to me that TPTB may have picked up on the fact that girls were able to pad their vote by recruiting lots of "voters" in advance ?

...yeesh, as if I'm some kind of conspiracy theorist... I need a shot of ? and to go to bed.... making no sense now. ?

I don't think it's rigging if there isn't anything in place to prevent multiple votes by the same person. Viv just hustled.

15 hours ago, CompassionPatched said:

I didn't know, and as a new comer, the threads get so long it's hard to know especially if answers are somewhere else. But thanks, figured it was ongoing, I was just curious as to some of the decision factors. Man, imagine how crazy it would be for fans to suggest looks and vote. I shudder at the thought. As if there isn't enough to worry about. Well maybe you can tell me why no fan vote this year? I am glad it was stopped though. So few spots in camp, the best are needed to take them. But help me out Domino, refer me to a thread and page if easier. Did they say why fan vote was stopped. My guess is what I said.

Once again....if they let in 60 girls and have a team of 36ish, 24 will be cut. One bad dancer in that 24th spot is never going to knock an amazing candidate out of a higher ranking and spot on the team.

The purpose of the fan vote was to draw viewers to the website to see ads. More viewers = more revenue. DCC is a business that runs on revenue. Fan vote also gives viewers a little bit of sense of ownership, to make them have somebody to root for, to watch the show and buy he products, not necessarily to get a girl onto the team

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 7

With the fan vote, there's also hard feelings from some people that the girl who won fan vote DIDN'T make the squad.  As if, by winning fan vote, she should have not only been in Training Camp. but been on the squad.  That is, not only for some of those who voted for someone they knew, but for the ones who thought they were voting for someone to get onto the TEAM and not into Training Camp (there were probably at least a few, at least in the beginning, who weren't paying attention), never mind that, once in Training Camp, it's up to the individual girls to get THEMSELVES on the squad.  It doesn't matter the number of times someone votes or how many followers a girl has, if she has memory mistakes, doesn't have power/projection, doesn't have her kicks, etc., she's never going to make the squad.

Personally, I would NEVER want to win the fan vote because then, I would never know if I made it in on my own talents or if it was because I had rabid followers.  There's always going to be someone who thought that K&J made/make the wrong decisions with some of the girls.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

With the fan vote, there's also hard feelings from some people that the girl who won fan vote DIDN'T make the squad.  As if, by winning fan vote, she should have not only been in Training Camp. but been on the squad.  That is, not only for some of those who voted for someone they knew, but for the ones who thought they were voting for someone to get onto the TEAM and not into Training Camp (there were probably at least a few, at least in the beginning, who weren't paying attention), never mind that, once in Training Camp, it's up to the individual girls to get THEMSELVES on the squad.  It doesn't matter the number of times someone votes or how many followers a girl has, if she has memory mistakes, doesn't have power/projection, doesn't have her kicks, etc., she's never going to make the squad.

Personally, I would NEVER want to win the fan vote because then, I would never know if I made it in on my own talents or if it was because I had rabid followers.  There's always going to be someone who thought that K&J made/make the wrong decisions with some of the girls.

Good points about fan vote possibly backfiring with fans. I still miss the fan vote, because it was fun and gave us a preview of some of the girls before camp.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Once again....if they let in 60 girls and have a team of 36ish, 24 will be cut. One bad dancer in that 24th spot is never going to knock an amazing candidate out of a higher ranking and spot on the team.

Especially when they say that the candidate would NOT have made it to TC without the vote.  So using @RazzleberryPie's example, at best she'd be ranked 61st by K/J/C.  The only way she would move so far to overtake even #36 would be to astronomically up her game during TC.  The odds of that happening are kinda slim, and if it did happen, then she really did deserve to be there & knock someone else out.

• Love 3

I do not think Colby won the fan vote on her own merit. She probably had friends and family voting for her big time. I think Madeline said radio announcers in her home town were asking people to vote for her the first time she tried out for the team. To me, fan vote was just a popularity contest gone bad. Loren said she was told students from Iraq had family members in their country voting for her. In my opinion, it had nothing to do with talent or who had a good shot at making the team based on talent and having the DCC look. It was based on who could get the most family, friends, and fans who felt bad certain girls did not make it into TC the year before to vote. In the case of Vivian, I think she did the dreaded Tin Man solo in Season 9? because she thought she was going to make it into TC by the fan vote alone. She also thought she was going to make the team because *gasp* her "fans" voted her into TC.

39 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

In the case of Vivian, I think she did the dreaded Tin Man solo in Season 9? because she thought she was going to make it into TC by the fan vote alone. She also thought she was going to make the team because *gasp* her "fans" voted her into TC.

Interesting angle that I've never thought about.  It's a no-brainer that her tin man solo was staged for some unknown reason - I just assumed it was for manufactured show drama.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

That's why it's called a Fan Vote. It's about the number of fans who vote. Not talent, not beauty, not skill, not anything but the number of votes from fans.

This is a major reason why I think the whole thing got the axe. People were voting for their family member, friend, or someone who live or did lived in their home town. or for whatever reason. I think a few of the girl *cough* Vivian *cough* thought if I won the fan vote I am a shoe in  to make the team because my beloved "fans" think I should be on the team.

Now if they had a contest where one lucky fan was able to sit in on finals during the interview, solo presentation, and field dancing/kick/splits and be able to put in his or her two cents in on each candidate and veteran when it comes to the decision time, I would be signing up for the contest. The one problem I could see with the contest is someone's family member winning the contest and pushing for their "friend" into TC. Of course, there will be people who would not agree with the fan either. I probably would drive the other judges crazy with my eye rolling when it comes to their this girl should be on the squad because she is so pretty, her solo was great, she has a special unique look the DCC wants, etc. etc. I probably would be also making comments that would get me in trouble. *lol*

1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

Now if they had a contest where one lucky fan was able to sit in on finals during the interview, solo presentation, and field dancing/kick/splits and be able to put in his or her two cents in on each candidate and veteran when it comes to the decision time, I would be signing up for the contest. The one problem I could see with the contest is someone's family member winning the contest and pushing for their "friend" into TC. Of course, there will be people who would not agree with the fan either. I probably would drive the other judges crazy with my eye rolling when it comes to their this girl should be on the squad because she is so pretty, her solo was great, she has a special unique look the DCC wants, etc. etc. I probably would be also making comments that would get me in trouble. *lol*

Now that would be an excellent marketing move. Whether or not they actually used the input, having a "fan judge" would be so much fun! They'd just have to like they did with Judy/Cassie, etc. and not allow family members to participate. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

The purpose of the fan vote was to draw viewers to the website to see ads. More viewers = more revenue. DCC is a business that runs on revenue. Fan vote also gives viewers a little bit of sense of ownership, to make them have somebody to root for, to watch the show and buy he products, not necessarily to get a girl onto the team

Got it, thanks. Yeah, oh my goodness 60 girls would be unreasonable and time wasting for sure. I do forget sometimes the whole revenue thing. So much emphasis on "entertainment business". I overlook the entertainment money focus. Doesn't change the challenges of dance performance. Do you think they will at all address it on the show at any point? I would think not since it hasn't come up and already at the finals episode.

Thanks though Razzleberrypie...hope you don't quiz me later. I've never been good at those pop-up quiz questions. 

An essay contest on why you want to be a finals fan judge and only be allowed to enter once. I can imagine the poor people who would have to read the essays. Ha! @ShellyB take our suggestion for a finals fan judge contest to the DCC Organization please.

39 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

An essay contest on why you want to be a finals fan judge and only be allowed to enter once. I can imagine the poor people who would have to read the essays. Ha! @ShellyB take our suggestion for a finals fan judge contest to the DCC Organization please.

You should choose me because I am willing to give my kidney. I'll also include my dissertation on the fundementals of the yes/no/maybe scoring system. I've spent 12 s̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶s̶ years on it. Please pick me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Since I went in and got tested to be a possible donor for a kidney transplant for the hubby, and I can write an essay about the fact there is not fifty feet on the football field, complement Judy on her hair, and to make sure my cash and prizes are covered well enough not to scare the judges, I would be a front runner on winning the contest.

Listen. 

In the words of pretty much every contestant, THIS IS LITERALLY MY DREAM. 

(If the hubby needing a transplant is true I hope everything goes well!)

Edited by HowdeeDo
  • Love 1

Sorry for changing my post after you responded. I was not able to donate a kidney for my husband, but he got one in April 2004, and he is doing well.

I have dreamt about being a fan judge since the day I saw the show in 2007 for the first time while being home on twelve weeks of unpaid medical leave for a work related back and neck injury. Hmmm... This is a start of a good essay.

20 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I would write an essay on the merits of keeping your cash and prizes well covered during your solo routine.

Oh my goodness....too funny. Haven't heard that since Sunday School age 12. But it is a hard thing. Be sexy, show enough skin to prove fitness and sex appeal, but have nothing slip or take stage left unexpectedly. I wonder if the prep classes for DCC tryouts offer suggestions etc. I am no dancer, but my Swim team days taught me tricks. I wonder if there are any CMT Making the Team specific prep classes that would perhaps have some additional things to refine. More camera readiness for example. Hmmmm, man I am surprised CMT hasn't popped up some MTT class themselves. Huh....thinking cap on but no go.

Edited by CompassionPatched
23 hours ago, CompassionPatched said:

I apologize if I sounded snarky - didn't mean it that way. Was trying be helpful- originally tried to copy what she said in the other link and then reply with the link - but I'm not that technologically savy :) again sorry if I came off mean or anything - maybe It was residual from my lack of linking skill! 

Fans suggesting looks is an interesting thought! Could it include a photoshop type thing where we can see how that hairstyle would look? It would be cool to see how some girls would look with short hair/ different colors. 

14 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I don't think it's rigging if there isn't anything in place to prevent multiple votes by the same person. Viv just hustled.

Yes exactly.  Much better said than how I said it.  ?

I kind of thought that they should keep some sort of fan vote, but.......... maybe as a sort of tie-breaker vote. If the judges are on the fence about a particular candidate, they could look and see how they scored in the fan vote, and maybe that person had more fan votes than the other, and that would be the 'one' vote that got that person into training camp. Just a thought, from a long time lurker.

( long time lurker, with rare posts? I get intimidated by everyone's knowledge, (even though I've been a fan since the 1979 TV movie,) But it sure is fun reading......

• Love 4

Hey I have a question. Can some one tell me if known the exact order training camp names were called? The show cut and pastes the order. You can tell buy who is still sitting in their seats if you watch carefully. Perhaps to help with smiles. I see a few mentioning that. So if there was a list posted before what page is it on? I am so curious. And yes, Holly really does deserve support. I never felt different. Hard to agree to knowing you may be cast in poor light ahead of time feeling sure that would not happen too harshly. I am sure last night made it raw all over.And glad Kelli had very supportive comments and zero shame ones. I hope Holly has gained enough fortitude that she is getting past it faster then others can. It may not be the case...but do you think any team mates felt sour about choices. Its intense for them. 

But really...where is the actual call order?

38 minutes ago, Durfette said:

Kelsey and Holly are missing from the twitter pic just posted "About to hit the field in uniform for the first time" with the vets. I expected to not see Holly, but Kelsey? 

It's not the full group of vets, Kelsey's there.

13 hours ago, tajalexander said:

Jenna still isn't point when they were going through Thunderstruck. I think the front triangle was Kashara then Lacey and Jenna. Yikes. Buuuuut... it looks really good, lowkey.

She may come back for a 7th year now ?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LadyMsJay said:

She may come back for a 7th year now ?

If anything truly did happen (and I'm not saying it did or didn't by any means) I can't see her making it past the 2018 Auditions.

Edited by DCCFanInKy
reworded

Wasn't there one preseason game last year when Jenna danced point? It's possible they could switch once before regular season?

43 minutes ago, HowdeeDo said:

@ShellyB will the touchdown decks ever be used again? I understand the safety issue, just thought it was a cool feature for the cheerleaders.

I liked the deck too and thought they were cool. What I didn't like were the creepers who used them to film videos of a close up on their butts ?

Edited by LaurelleJ
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Another question for @ShellyB or anyone else that might know.  Have any of the Rythm & Blues dancers every gone on to become DCC?  Do they rehearse in the same studio as the DCC?

Teri in season 7 did. That's the only one I'm aware of. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, HowdeeDo said:

@ShellyB will the touchdown decks ever be used again? I understand the safety issue, just thought it was a cool feature for the cheerleaders.

No, for safety reasons, they have been eliminated. 

Teri was a DCC for one season after her run as an R n B dancer. They practice at a local Dallas studio and at Cowboys Fit. 

Hi @ShellyB

I may have asked this awhile ago, but I have two kids under 6, so my brain cells are dying rapidly..... 

anyway- we were at a game at Texas Stadium on Thanksgiving Day in 07. It started snowing. It was freezing. Literally. The poor DCC had on their regular uniforms and after half time wore those navy satin jackets. Why didn't they ever do a cold weather uniform for the girls alike the Patriots squad has when the girls were cheering at Texas Stadium? Although not New England, Dallas can get pretty darn cold in November and December. I asked a girl I know who cheered at TS, and she wasn't sure- her guess was they didn't want to change up the iconic uniform at all, even for freezing weather. Thanks!

Edited by PrincessLeia
To make it more clear I was asking about when they cheered at Texas Stadium!
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PrincessLeia said:

Hi @ShellyB

I may have asked this awhile ago, but I have two kids under 6, so my brain cells are dying rapidly..... 

anyway- we were at a game at Texas Stadium on Thanksgiving Day in 07. It started snowing. It was freezing. Literally. The poor DCC had on their regular uniforms and after half time wore those navy satin jackets. Why didn't they ever do a cold weather uniform for the girls alike the Patriots squad has. Although not New England, Dallas can get pretty darn cold in November and December. I asked a girl I know who cheered at TS, and she wasn't sure- her guess was they didn't want to change up the iconic uniform at all, even for freezing weather. Thanks!

I'm not Shelly, but the stadium has a retractable dome, they don't have to deal with cold weather.

4 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Yes, I realize that. I was asking @ShellyB about Texas Stadium. 

LOL....there were a few cold weather games when we added a sweater, jacket and one time,  leggings. For the most part, as cold as it could get in Texas Stadium, the constant movement kept us pretty warm. We had a rule that once we layered up, we could not peel off, so it was better to just put on the least invasive extra article. Also, not wearing the uniform at games, sometimes didn't feel fight. My last game at TS was a freezing cold playoff game and I did not want to wear the jacket. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

LOL....there were a few cold weather games when we added a sweater, jacket and one time,  leggings. For the most part, as cold as it could get in Texas Stadium, the constant movement kept us pretty warm. We had a rule that once we layered up, we could not peel off, so it was better to just put on the least invasive extra article. Also, not wearing the uniform at games, sometimes didn't feel fight. My last game at TS was a freezing cold playoff game and I did not want to wear the jacket. 

Thank you for responding..... I remember feeling so bad for the girls that day it was snowing!!! But it sounds like they were probably warmer than the fans!

I miss that stadium. AT&T Stadium is awesome, but Texas Stadium was special. I'll never forget walking from the parking lot across the bridge and every few minutes someone would scream "How bout dem Cowboys?????" And everyone would go nuts!

• Love 2