Type keyword(s) to search

DCC Q&A: Mysteries of the DCC World

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, ales-ya said:

@ShellyB Maybe this was answered already and I didn’t see it, but when did Thunderstruck replace Loud?  Or did it ever?  I liked that dance and I don’t see that the squads from the last 4-5 seasons are performing it any longer.  Thanks :-)

Thunder became the frontrunner rountine in 2010??...we use Loud, it just depends on the show. 

5 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

@ShellyB  Will they have a Twitter montage of the DCCs that are retiring like they did last year?

Not sure, I would imagine that social media has something planned for the end of the season.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DCCroutineFAN said:

Shelly, the last post made me think of something. Didnt DCC do the Rock the Party or Rock on (??)  routine for like 10 yrs. I remember it from like 2001 or 2002 and also in 2007.

We have a small repertoire of dances that stand the test of time. Sometimes choreo lasts longer than the original music. 

• Love 1
On 3/30/2018 at 2:05 AM, ales-ya said:

@ShellyB Maybe this was answered already and I didn’t see it, but when did Thunderstruck replace Loud?  Or did it ever?  I liked that dance and I don’t see that the squads from the last 4-5 seasons are performing it any longer.  Thanks :-)

You didn't ask me, but they've definitely done "Loud" at some performances within that time frame.

I have been watching the DCC auditions for several years as well as the Training Camp and one overwhelming fact has become very evident.  The choreography of the dances are NOT easy!! There are over 50 different dance sequences that the candidates have to learn in a very short time during the approximately 8 weeks of training camp.  The ladies have to be perfect on every one of them if they expect to make it all the way through to becoming a DCC.  They have to see it one or two times and have to remember it and do it in front of the two most critical and nit-picky (not criticizing) ladies on the planet, Kelli and Judy. I am not, not, not bad mouthing Kelli and Judy!!  They are responsible for the entire reputation of the DCC as a whole and reportable to Jerry and the rest of the upper staff and if the DCC doesn’t look good then the entire team loses.

My thought is that Kelli and Judy should have some veterans or professionals make a series of DVDs, BlueRays, or digital clips which show the 50 different dance sequences in teachable videos that they can give to the candidates during camp.  They can take them home and watch the dances that they are learning and compare themselves and how they interpret the dance to those shown on the video.  The videos should have multiple views so they can see them from the front, side and back.  A commentary track by Judy or Kitty should talk about the high points of body movement and/or position during the sequence.  Hopefully this extra take-home video can help those who have trouble learn the dances faster and allow Kelli and Judy to use the camp time more effectively and improve the DCC group as a whole.  This must include the sequence of the group moving onto the field during game intro and improving the lineup matching with the on field yard lines.

I hope that my suggestion meets your and Kelli’s approval.  Remember practice makes perfection!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GreyLensman said:

I have been watching the DCC auditions for several years as well as the Training Camp and one overwhelming fact has become very evident.  The choreography of the dances are NOT easy!! There are over 50 different dance sequences that the candidates have to learn in a very short time during the approximately 8 weeks of training camp.  The ladies have to be perfect on every one of them if they expect to make it all the way through to becoming a DCC.  They have to see it one or two times and have to remember it and do it in front of the two most critical and nit-picky (not criticizing) ladies on the planet, Kelli and Judy. I am not, not, not bad mouthing Kelli and Judy!!  They are responsible for the entire reputation of the DCC as a whole and reportable to Jerry and the rest of the upper staff and if the DCC doesn’t look good then the entire team loses.

My thought is that Kelli and Judy should have some veterans or professionals make a series of DVDs, BlueRays, or digital clips which show the 50 different dance sequences in teachable videos that they can give to the candidates during camp.  They can take them home and watch the dances that they are learning and compare themselves and how they interpret the dance to those shown on the video.  The videos should have multiple views so they can see them from the front, side and back.  A commentary track by Judy or Kitty should talk about the high points of body movement and/or position during the sequence.  Hopefully this extra take-home video can help those who have trouble learn the dances faster and allow Kelli and Judy to use the camp time more effectively and improve the DCC group as a whole.  This must include the sequence of the group moving onto the field during game intro and improving the lineup matching with the on field yard lines.

I hope that my suggestion meets your and Kelli’s approval.  Remember practice makes perfection!!

Don't they already do this?  In Season 3, Jordan and her roomies are watching a DVD to get the dance down.  And other gals have mentioned having dances emailed to them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

Don't they already do this?  In Season 3, Jordan and her roomies are watching a DVD to get the dance down.  And other gals have mentioned having dances emailed to them.

I agree, I'm fairly certain this is what they do. 

• Love 2

@ShellyB  How are 1st and 2nd group leaders chosen? Do they pick girls who they feel have the total DCC package (dance skills, certain leadership abilities, time, being a good role model on and off the field, the girls in the group can feel comfortable with, and overall good spokeswoman for the organization.)

2 hours ago, tajalexander said:

@ShellyB has you all ever considered a livestream for solos? That would be amazing. 

Not only for me ? but for the ones like Simone that put in a lot of work in their costume and solo that nobody ends up seeing. 

YES. I feel like final solos get the least amount of airtime on the show, and with 50-60 girls I get it, don’t waste too much time when there’s other parts to focus on, but little snippets on Twitter this last season left me wanting more.

I could see them not wanting to do it live though since they’ve had wardrobe malfunctions in the past, but I wanna see the good, the bad, and the ugly too. 

Videos in general have been increasingly hard to come by on YouTube of the squad at games too since the show. Searching for DCC/Cowboys Cheerleaders only pulls up spam links to “watch the show” or creepy inappropriate vids. Maybe an official YouTube account can be made to post solos, a practice here or there, and pregame/special halftimes? Usually all we have to go by is snippets from social media, and heaven forbid someone makes one misstep and she’s labeled as a horrible dancer from then on out. I feel like we’d actually be more forgiving if we had more material to go off of ?? @ShellyB

1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

@ShellyB  How are 1st and 2nd group leaders chosen? Do they pick girls who they feel have the total DCC package (dance skills, certain leadership abilities, time, being a good role model on and off the field, the girls in the group can feel comfortable with, and overall good spokeswoman for the organization.)

Scroll back a few pages, she’s answered this several times. 

• Love 5

They showed the vets' solos in Season 5 on the DCC website. They have around 84 to 85 solos to get through. I can imagine how hard it would be show all them of them on social media. I think they need to have a two hour finals show.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

They showed the vets' solos in Season 5 on the DCC website. They have around 84 to 85 solos to get through. I can imagine how hard it would be show all them of them on social media. I think they need to have a two hour finals show.

Last year they had 50-60, but even if they had 80 with editing out the lull moments they could show all of them within and hour and a half, or even just the “good” ones of the girls they’re going to profile during the season. A two hour finale show would be a nightmare. Last year’s layout was perfect, they could just be using their social media platforms more. Other NFL teams have more up to date content out but DCC claim to be the best, I just don’t think they’re taking full advantage of an easy marketing tool. 

Edited by HowdeeDo
  • Love 3

They use to have a good DCC website page, but somehow it fall to the waste side. Miss the articles, pictures, updates on the current and former DCCs. I am not crazy about the podcasts especially Courtney and Shannon. Kelli did a great job last week, and they could use Robin also for the podcasts. In my opinion, yesterday's podcast was bad. I felt bad for Tasha and Simone especially the way Shannon was carrying on about the girls who are retiring. Seriously...

7 hours ago, tajalexander said:

@ShellyB has you all ever considered a livestream for solos? That would be amazing. 

Not only for me ? but for the ones like Simone that put in a lot of work in their costume and solo that nobody ends up seeing. 

3 hours ago, HowdeeDo said:

Videos in general have been increasingly hard to come by on YouTube of the squad at games too since the show. Searching for DCC/Cowboys Cheerleaders only pulls up spam links to “watch the show” or creepy inappropriate vids. Maybe an official YouTube account can be made to post solos, a practice here or there, and pregame/special halftimes? Usually all we have to go by is snippets from social media, and heaven forbid someone makes one misstep and she’s labeled as a horrible dancer from then on out. I feel like we’d actually be more forgiving if we had more material to go off of ?? @ShellyB

YES!!!!!!  Super loved last season - the format, the changes, everything - these would just be even more ways to make a great thing even better ?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, tajalexander said:

That would be up to producers. I’m sure they’ve thought of it, but it might spoil the actual show.

• Love 2
On 4/5/2018 at 9:26 PM, ShellyB said:

That would be up to producers. I’m sure they’ve thought of it, but it might spoil the actual show.

That was my first thought at the suggestion of live streaming solos. I would love it as well, but highly unlikely due to the show.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:26 AM, ShellyB said:

What about having a special that shows the solos?  People watch SYTYCD which shows people just dancing so it is something people will watch.  Additionally, fans of the show want to see the solos and since they are already recorded it likely wouldn't be too much additional work to make it.

• Love 5

I don’t think streaming solos would spoil the show any more than social media, boards, posting the team pic, etc. Fans are going to watch regardless, maybe more if we can see some more of the girls personalities and skills with Solos.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think a special just showing the solos may not work out since they have 80 plus solos at finals. Yes, I would like to see more of the solos, but there are other things I would like to see on the show also.

Edited by bigskygirl

They usually talk about who scored well or who was at the bottom vets and TC Candidates wise. Sometimes if you look closely in some scenes, you can figure it out. In Season 4, they had the girls sit in the order they scored at finals at the first meeting. I wish they would do that every season at the first meeting, so the fans and viewers can see who did or did not do well according to the judges. Hint hint CMT and Kelli.

• Love 1

I would love to see more solos, but I imagine getting the music rights would be an expensive nightmare for tbe producers. And while I don’t think they normally do a bad job laying new music over the tracks (especially in latter seasons) it really isn’t as impactful as the original music. 

• Love 4

just a couple of questions about this photo.

in the background, I’ve noticed some are still wearing the pink training outfits, does this mean rookies have to wear these for the whole 1st year then change to black once they become a veteran? 

Also, I can see a camera man in the back as well, is he filming for the show? Would be great to see bits and pieces from throughout the year on the build up to auditions!

F22B9C4A-EAD1-4E33-80DE-353771ACCD50.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Amanda89 said:

just a couple of questions about this photo.

in the background, I’ve noticed some are still wearing the pink training outfits, does this mean rookies have to wear these for the whole 1st year then change to black once they become a veteran? 

Also, I can see a camera man in the back as well, is he filming for the show? Would be great to see bits and pieces from throughout the year on the build up to auditions!

F22B9C4A-EAD1-4E33-80DE-353771ACCD50.jpeg

This is likely just an old photo from Training Camp.

On 5/12/2018 at 7:31 AM, viccib said:

@ShellyB who are the All Stars for this year?? Is Emma still one of them?

Emma, Nicole, Katy, Danielle, Jessica, Rachel, Amy T, Jinelle, Bess, Chantel, Stephanie

• Love 18

@Shelly B - can you please explain what the All Stars do exactly? I know I've seen them in some appearance pictures. I am just trying to understand why some girls who could still be DCC's choose to be All Stars instead (Jinelle, Stephanie mainly).   

Are they asked to be All Stars, apply, what is the process?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Tarode said:

@Shelly B - can you please explain what the All Stars do exactly? I know I've seen them in some appearance pictures. I am just trying to understand why some girls who could still be DCC's choose to be All Stars instead (Jinelle, Stephanie mainly).   

Are they asked to be All Stars, apply, what is the process?

Thanks!

They do appearances when the full squad is otherwise busy with rehearsals and other events. They also make suite visits during games. Everyone retires for their own personal reasons...feeling complete in the journey, school/career and sometimes injury. All Stars are chosen by Kelli & Judy on the basis of tenure and merit.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Emma, Nicole, Katy, Danielle, Jessica, Rachel, Amy T, Jinelle, Bess, Chantel, Stephanie

Thanks for the answer. Also, congrats on Dayton making TCC this year! Wishing her the best of luck!

• Love 6

I thought of this when discussing the Seattle Seagirls in another thread. During Finals deliberations for DCC, what order are candidates deliberated on? 1,2,3, etc., all blondes, then all brunettes, etc., vets then rookies, etc?

If there is a cognizant effort to balance the look of the squad, plus, a holistic approach to selecting the TC candidates, I’d imagine there has to be some thoughtful way to approach the deliberations so you’re getting the desired mix of looks and cream of the crop candidates (in no particular order). 

@ShellyB, I was wondering if during the quarter change dances, do all four corners do the same choreography? Kelli has said on the podcast that the quarter changes are unscripted and that the group leaders have to start dancing choreo that fits whatever music gets played at the time. So it made me wonder how they would all be doing the same choreo if that was the case.

• Love 1
On 5/15/2018 at 3:09 AM, Teresa said:

@ShellyB, I was wondering if during the quarter change dances, do all four corners do the same choreography? Kelli has said on the podcast that the quarter changes are unscripted and that the group leaders have to start dancing choreo that fits whatever music gets played at the time. So it made me wonder how they would all be doing the same choreo if that was the case.

I thought she was referring to the sideline dances. Those are sometimes different. From my understanding, the quarter change dances are all the same across all four groups. They have specific songs, and if you look at their rehearsal vids/game day vids, they're all dancing the same choreo.

• Love 2
On 5/15/2018 at 5:09 PM, Teresa said:

the choreo to the quarter changes is the same for all of the groups and all the other sideline routines are what the group leader chooses to do for that piece of music.

• Love 1

That's a good question about the sideline dances, though, and I've wondered myself if/how each group leader is expected to pick the same choreography for the DJ's music. Also, I enjoyed on the show last season watching them practice that and talking about the challenge as group leaders! But they only showed it in one of the final rehearsals and only one group leader at a time. 

They mentioned it briefly last season. There was an episode where they played the music and each group leader practiced. I remember Kashara picked a dance that didn't go well with the song the first time and they told her that from the sidelines. The first group leader hears the music and in the first few counts calls out the dance and counts them in. 

• Love 2
On 5/13/2018 at 10:26 AM, bigskygirl said:

@ShellyB Congrats on Dayton making it to TC. Good luck to her!

I saw Dayton and Victoria on IG (I think it was Dayton's) and they both looked so excited for what's coming their way this summer!! Congrats and best wishes for both girls ??

• Love 7
1 hour ago, sleepyjean said:

@ShellyB, are you at liberty to share the names of the three finalists we've not be able to identify this year?

Schoolgirl #20

Bejeweled girl #65

Pocahontas girl #51

5b17422557162_unknowns-lastthree.jpg.0e64386072e726e80465d321cdbf710d.jpg

#20 - Tiara

#65 - Jasmine

#51 - Kolby

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I hope both Dayton and Victoria make the team. I actually love the legacy stories and seeing it continue on . I’m keeping my fingers, toes and everything else crossed for Brennan too. Hoping Titans Briana can make it but anyway, that is my dream team list so far lol 

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Gigi88 said:

I hope both Dayton and Victoria make the team. I actually love the legacy stories and seeing it continue on . I’m keeping my fingers, toes and everything else crossed for Brennan too. Hoping Titans Briana can make it but anyway, that is my dream team list so far lol 

That’s where I am at this point. If they prove to be poor dancers or can’t keep up with the choreo, then I may change my mind, but at this point, I have no issue with Dayton or Victoria. Furthermore, Dayton didn’t make it to TC last year, so I don’t buy the argument that either is guaranteed a spot no matter what they do. 

• Love 15
12 hours ago, Gigi88 said:

Same here.  I have been on Team Dayton since last year and even though I don't know a lot about Victoria, I'm Team Victoria as well.  I am also keeping fingers crossed for Briana and Brennan.  

• Love 4

@ ShellyB: If Dayton & Victoria  make the squad ( hope they do) will they be the 4th and 5th legacies to make the DCC?  I know there was Meredith and Cassie and another girl from the 90s or 00s whose mom was a DCC in the 70s.  Also do you think Samantha Finglass might some day audition for the DCC?

3 hours ago, Jess14 said:

That’s where I am at this point. If they prove to be poor dancers or can’t keep up with the choreo, then I may change my mind, but at this point, I have no issue with Dayton or Victoria. Furthermore, Dayton didn’t make it to TC last year, so I don’t buy the argument that either is guaranteed a spot no matter what they do. 

If I’m correctly remembering  Dayton did not make it to TC last year.

8 minutes ago, lfedncr said:
3 hours ago, Jess14 said:

If I’m correctly remembering  Dayton did not make it to TC last year.

No, she did not, only to finals.

2 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

I know there was Meredith and Cassie and another girl from the 90s or 00s whose mom was a DCC in the 70s.  

Amber Gosdin is the other one.

There was also Olivia Sharber, depending on how you define legacy. She was Kitty's daughter in law.

• Love 1