Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, FMRDancerNYC said:

I disagree with this statement. I think Shelly is neutral on this subject. I believe she was referring to the critique of VKs ballet technique where I think VK falls short.

I disagree, when you take away 99% of a prior post to comment on that one specific section and then not take out the part of you calling her toxic among other negative non-dance related things...I think that speaks for itself. 

With that said, I am sure there are many people attached to or DCC adjacent who have a public opinion and a private opinion of VK. Given the near feral denmother attitude Kelli has towards Victoria and her "I'll claw your eyes out if you say anything negative about my baby" look...no one close enough is going to say anything, but they'll think it. I honestly wonder if Victoria, in Kelli's mind, is her shot at having a daughter on the DCC like Judy had Cassie. Sam is never going to be a DCC...Victoria may be all she has. And sadly, mother Kelli did not prep her "daughter" well.  

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

I personally think her struggles were highlighted....that’s #mom talking. She had great moments as well...that’s dance teacher talking. I’m not naive to Dayton’s strengths or weaknesses. She’ll continue to grow as a performer on her new journey. You’ve all stated there are other TCC’s that you’re still staying to figure out who they are. The storylines have fallen into place and get edited to support. 

No shade for VK, I’ve known her since she was born and her mother is good friend. 

I wish we were able to see more good moments to balance out the negative of the start. I'd also love to meet some of the other TCC's! At least, not in the same episode that they're cut.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Not true. I stated “keen eye”, because @FMRDancerNYC‘s assessment was spot on. VK’s studio doesn’t focus on ballet technique or have a pre-pro program to push students towards summer intensives. I’ve given her privates while she was growing up and talked with her about ballet technique. She knows the importance of it; but that would mean switching studios and she was comfortable where she grew up. I am a certified Cecchetti Teacher, besides being trained in other genres, and any dancer with extensive training would be able to see foot placement, body position, weight distribution, control in turns. All of which come from solid ballet training. 

Okay, but the fact that, when quoting that passage, you deleted large portions yet left in the part about VK being toxic seemed a bit suspicious.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sATL said:

I would like to hope VK and Dayton get experience on a NBA team .

TBH I wouldn't want to see Dayton do this.  I don't know if she wants dance as a career, but I think having "performed in shows on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines" looks better than "performed for (insert name of sports team)" on a resume.  Not to insult dancers for pro sports teams (I obviously like the DCC and like to discuss them), but I think Dayton is getting a better experience.

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

No I didn’t...I commented on the ENTIRE post, didn’t delete anything. My “keen eye” comment was referring to the technique portion. I don’t pay any attention to #toxic comments. Everybody has their opinions from what the see on social media or the show. Unless one knows her personally, it’s a very unfair assessment of her character. Victoria is a bubbly, bright-eyed 18 year old, that is very comfortable in her own skin. She never meets a stranger and sometimes goes out of her way to acknowledge people that she is around. She’s curious about everything/everybody she encounters and always has been...far from being toxic. 

@ShellyBClass act as usual. I'll start watching with this in mind.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

I disagree, when you take away 99% of a prior post to comment on that one specific section and then not take out the part of you calling her toxic among other negative non-dance related things...I think that speaks for itself. 

I didn’t take away anything from @FMRDancerNYC‘s post. I quoted a different post about Dayton being discouraged to audition again. Two posts merged together. ?

• Love 12
7 hours ago, SmpIsimon said:

Southern mothers are some of the worst at sending the message to their daughters that the very best things they can do with their lives are to, while you, be cheerleaders and beauty queens, and then marry young and pop out a bunch of kids.  Actually getting a meaningful education (i.e., not going to some crappy community college like VK is doing) and making something of themselves beyond once-beautiful baby factories is just not an option.  Disgusting. 

Given some of the things I've seen when down South, I'm not surprised.  A lot of good has come out of the Southern states, but there are, unfortunately, a lot of negative stereotypes  have come out that have proven to be either completely true or mostly true, like the lack of focus on education, teen pregnancies, and marriage before everything else, including education.  Heck, my parents have said that they would have stayed near one set of grandparents in the South, but they didn't think the schools systems were very good in the areas they were considering so they moved to other areas and ended up in one where they really liked the school system.  However, I hope that your comment about "crappy" community colleges only applies to the very few that ARE crappy and not the many good community colleges across the nation.  One of my local community colleges has a nursing program (among other good, solid programs) that has a growing reputation for producing students who are better prepared, not only for the field, but when they get to 4-year colleges for their BSNs.  I remember hearing that the main 4-year school for BSNs in my area found that the students from this particular community college were not only solidly prepared, but BETTER prepared then the students coming from other 4-year colleges.

4 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Does it really take one year for someone to mature from lying to employers AND family and acting so childish at work and in front of cameras? She needs to finish college at least.

I'd say it would vary and depends on the individual.  In some cases, the person does grow up in a year, but it's partly time, partly life experiences and part the individual.  In some cases, it takes a MAJOR shock to the system ( for some people to grow up in that short a time, mainly because they ARE so immature or otherwise stunted for various reasons.  I don't want Victoria to get such a big shock because it would mean she either was involved or very close to the situation and I wouldn't wish that kind of thing on anyone.

3 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Not true. I stated “keen eye”, because @FMRDancerNYC‘s assessment was spot on. VK’s studio doesn’t focus on ballet technique or have a pre-pro program to push students towards summer intensives. I’ve given her privates while she was growing up and talked with her about ballet technique. She knows the importance of it; but that would mean switching studios and she was comfortable where she grew up. I am a certified Cecchetti Teacher, besides being trained in other genres, and any dancer with extensive training would be able to see foot placement, body position, weight distribution, control in turns. All of which come from solid ballet training. 

I LOVE the fact that you're a certified Cechetti teacher.  Color me impressed.   As for Victoria, good that she knows the importance of proper ballet technique even if I don't think she shows it in the majority of her dancing.  I'd think a good dance studio would emphasize good technique no matter the type of dance and prefer they take ballet classes as well even if their main focus isn't on the pre-professional girl.  As for the rest and being comfortable in/with a studio, it's important, but, for those who want to improve or move on with their dancing (perhaps even going pro even if it's not in ballet), they've got to either step it up with their current studio or, if that studio doesn't provide what they need, they need to move on.  I'm not saying that this is what's going on with Victoria, but it's one theory (and one that might end up being shot down depending on the girl herself).  If my opinion matters at all (and it likely doesn't in the grand scheme of things), Victoria SHOULDN'T want to be comfortable.  She should want to stretch, to learn, to grow and NOT settle when things get easy.

3 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Everybody has their opinions from what the see on social media or the show. Unless one knows her personally, it’s a very unfair assessment of her character. Victoria is a bubbly, bright-eyed 18 year old, that is very comfortable in her own skin. She never meets a stranger and sometimes goes out of her way to acknowledge people that she is around. She’s curious about everything/everybody she encounters and always has been...far from being toxic. 

I'm glad you brought this to our attention.  I'm one who has been a critic of hers (obviously) and some may even say I've been one of her harsher critics and that's not always fair to her.  I think part of my reaction to, and about, her is how I perceive Kelli treating her versus the other girls, including Dayton and that's also not entirely fair to Victoria.   However, there's also a lot of things we've seen Victoria do and heard of things she's done that I will not always agree with and will continue to speak up about based on what I see.  We've all probably done much the same, do things that other people won't agree with.  One of those things is how Victoria behaves in the office.  Even if she's grown up with Kelli, Victoria should be treating this as a professional setting and behave as a professional.  She's too comfortable and could be seen as very unprofessional.  Would she act like that in an office setting with a high-stakes client there, even if she knew the boss for years and was comfortable around that person?  Depending on the situation and the person, "being comfortable in her own skin" could be seen as anything from cocky to confident to arrogant to amazing.  I want to see Victoria succeed, but there's too much standing in her own way at the moment, including CMT, Kelli and herself (and possibly Tina).

As much as I would like to meet her and know her for the person she is, I don't know if we'd get along.  Some would say that we absolutely would not, based on what I've said about her in the past, but I've been proven wrong about people before and I will be in the future. I'll admit that. I hope Victoria proves my ideas about her wrong in all possible ways.  Until then, I'll try to be more tempered in my responses.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

TBH I wouldn't want to see Dayton do this.  I don't know if she wants dance as a career, but I think having "performed in shows on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines" looks better than "performed for (insert name of sports team)" on a resume.  Not to insult dancers for pro sports teams (I obviously like the DCC and like to discuss them), but I think Dayton is getting a better experience.

She will definitely be seen by a broader group of industry professionals. If dance as a career is on her mind, she definitely chose the better route. 

• Love 6

...How does being a bubbly 18 y.o who is soo curious about others excuse lying to your employer exactly? Because that’s what we were talking about. I don’t care if these girls are actual saints, we are watching a show about girls who 1.can dance (VK can’t, not that style at least) 2.act nice and yes ma’am Kelli no matter what (VK can’t do that either). 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

...How does being a bubbly 18 y.o who is soo curious about others excuse lying to your employer exactly? Because that’s what we were talking about. I don’t care if these girls are actual saints, we are watching a show about girls who 1.can dance (VK can’t, not that style at least) 2.act nice and yes ma’am Kelli no matter what (VK can’t do that either). 

I said she is a bubbly 18 because people have labeled her as entitled. I’ve known her her whole life and wouldn’t say that. She’s very confident, and that may rub people the wrong way. She speaks her mind, which some think is entitled. She’s just bright eyed...doesn’t think negatively at all. She can dance; and yes ma’am is part of her everyday. You just haven’t seen it. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Love 23
7 hours ago, Rubyslippahz said:

Of course VK is going to be back next year.   There is no pivot or backup plan there.  There is no other dream.  Just DCC.  

That does seem to be the case.  North Lake College....it doen't seem a very impressive institution in general, and in the dance department in particular. It looks like she'll basically be doing 13th grade while she waits for next year's audition. I know 4 year college isn't for everyone, but your first year out of high school can be such a time of amazing growth. Looks like her plan is to stay in her little bubble and take lots of DCC prep classes. If she is as confident and outgoing as Shelly has said, I'd like to see her go out there and take some chances. Invest in her education. Take a lot of different dance classes. I really hope that she takes the opportunity to stretch herself. But I fear that she won't.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 3

My guess is that like any other dance studio owner, Kitty knows her best clients will be people who take multiple classes a week, for years on end, and tell their friends how great the studio is.   I can't wait until the next episode when KC comes to town, but I'm afraid we'll have another person ignoring the elephant in the room (yes, I did that deliberately) and not mention any flab.    I know very little about dance, but I think of clunky, out of control, and flabby dancer, then I see VK.    

• Love 4

The Victoria "Edit" will be extremely interesting how they handle it. Got a feeling we will see the warm and fuzzy version.....and if it really was a "Lie" and not a misunderstanding, isn't that one of the "7 DCC Mortal Sins" meaning VK will not be considered in the future for any chance at becoming a DCC?

• Love 4

Since it's another season, I don't know if this is allowed, but I watched the 2011 season on Throwback Thursday, and in the makeovers Taylor had her extensions, or whatever they were, taken out and got that edgy haircut.    Then she got talked to about hating her hair, and showing it by Kelli.    Does anyone know what happened to her later?     And if she got her extensions put back in after she left the DCC/TCC?     I think she would have been great on another cheer team, so I'm hoping she went some where else that might fit her better.       I loved seeing the 2011 DCC/TCC and so many familiar faces. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ShellyB said:

I personally think her struggles were highlighted....that’s #mom talking. She had great moments as well...that’s dance teacher talking. I’m not naive to Dayton’s strengths or weaknesses. She’ll continue to grow as a performer on her new journey. You’ve all stated there are other TCC’s that you’re still trying to figure out who they are. The storylines have fallen into place and get edited to support. 

No shade for VK, I’ve known her since she was born and her mother is good friend. 

Shelly you are an amazing woman. I wish I lived in Dallas and we could hang out and gossip over coffee. You must be a joy to your friends and family. I am really glad you check in to this f orum, because every time I read one of your responses i feel like I learned something new, and that I need to be a nicer person.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Because she's young and immature and people who are young and immature often do incredibly stupid things. But in many cases, that's what causes them to grow up. Or start to, anyway. 

I don't think VK is malicious or irredeemable. At least not based on what I've seen. She needs a few years somewhere else, but I believe she can be better and do better. She can earn a second chance. It's up to her whether she does it or not.

Honestly, I  don't think I could  take anything that happens on this show as a slap in the face. It's a show about some cheerleaders who wear sexy outfits and do dances like "sexy hips" for mediocre pay and the glory of it all. It is so far removed from my real life I just cant take it that seriously.

Dont forget to sell/work it from the backside. I guess that would be sexy hips but some need reminding. ;) 

50 minutes ago, FMRDancerNYC said:

VK might very well be a wonderful and darling person but that is not how the show is portraying her. Maybe next weeks episode will promote a different topic, yeehaw. Plus, the fact that we have not seen the other gorgeous dancers like Rachel, Gina, sassy KaShera, Hannah, Bridgit, KelliS, etc whom are WOW DCC worthy. Its all been VK front and center like Cassie's Wedding show. I will push back on the VK defenders who shame the opinions of others as haters. I FEEL the frustration. Fakers only state false compliments and feed the fire of deceit which doesn't do anyone any favors. I prefer the truth. Make an excuse for one then make an excuse for all. Don't set different rules. 

I’m really frustrated to not see more of the other rookies. Esp Ashlee, Amber, Bridget and Caroline. I really cant get a feel for them, and of course like many others I just want more dancing. 

• Love 9

As someone who spent most of her life growing up in the South, I have to say that the characterization given of Southern mothers was true...maybe 20 years ago. The notion that you went to college to get your MRS degreee was still floating around. When I returned from college (with a BA and MA, went straight through) in 1992, a lot of girls I knew then were getting married. I waited until I was 35 to get married and enjoyed my freedom and a career. But the pressure did exist. My parents never did this to me but I know I felt it from others. 

While this attitude may still exist in Dallas, it doesn’t in Atlanta anymore. There are a few holdovers but honestly, I don’t see the “you need to get married and have babies before you’re 25” nearly as much as I used to. Young women are becoming doctors, lawyers, nurses, architects, etc. Whatever they want to be. They aren’t waiting on a man to fulfill their existence. I find it unfortunate that this stereotype still exists. Then again, when a friend of mine moved to Seattle, someone actually asked him “Do they wear shoes down there?” As if all of us are uneducated hicks straight out of a L’il Amber comic strip (may be dating myself with that reference).

As for community colleges, I am not ashamed to say I went to one for my first year and a half on a full scholarship while working part-time before heading to a state school. A big ticket school is not always a guarantee of academic excellence but more often a load of debt to spend years paying off, which I thankfully had paid five years out of college. Conversely, we will be paying off my husband’s Vanderbilt law degree for many more years to come. 

I will say VK might indeed benefit getting away from her parents and going to a state school far from Dallas to grow up and meet people from different walks of life that have nothing to do with dance. To become her own person apart from Mom and the Dallas dance world. 

• Love 14
30 minutes ago, Trixi said:

I’m really frustrated to not see more of the other rookies. Esp Ashlee, Amber, Bridget and Caroline. I really cant get a feel for them, and of course like many others I just want more dancing. 

Cassie had a wedding show?! Give. Me. A. BREAK.

There are other candidates besides VK?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, TexasBorn said:

Cassie had a wedding show?! Give. Me. A. BREAK.

There are other candidates besides VK?

You didn't know that????  Actually it was another episode for the show, and it probably helped pay the wedding bills cause it featured a lot of the area's vendors. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

I am watching Season 4 and I can tell you honestly, Lacey Minchew is a million times more obnoxious than VK. 

I cannot stand her either. I think she was there for her five minutes of fame. I do not care at all for the way Victoria has been shown on the show. I feel bad for her in a way because we obviously are not seeing the real her. I hate the way CMT uses the girls for a storyline.

16 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

You didn't know that????  Actually it was another episode for the show, and it probably helped pay the wedding bills cause it featured a lot of the area's vendors. 

Smart move on Judy's behalf ;)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

I honestly wonder if Victoria, in Kelli's mind, is her shot at having a daughter on the DCC like Judy had Cassie. Sam is never going to be a DCC...Victoria may be all she has. And sadly, mother Kelli did not prep her "daughter" well.  

I've been wanting to say this exact same thing for awhile. Im still relatively new but i've read these forums for forever and i totally agree with this ^^^^^. So i had to come out of hiding to second it lol.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I'd think a good dance studio would emphasize good technique no matter the type of dance and prefer they take ballet classes as well even if their main focus isn't on the pre-professional girl.

3 types of studios in Dallas, probs everywhere:

Rec - take what you want, no emphasis or requirement for any certain genre, end of the year recital

Competition - require a certain amount hours week; little emphasis on technique class due to choreography practiced all year long; several conventions and competitions all year, along with nationals, end of the year recital (Dance Moms ??)

Pre-Pro - require certain amount of hours per week, most being in ballet and pointe work; emphasis on summer studies at intensives, end of the year recital

My personal opinion is that the studio is a reflection of the owners training. There are certainly students that are naturally gifted at every studio. But if the owners/teachers don’t have the background to push students OR decide to take a different route with their studio, students can only do their best with the tools & lessons they are given. My kids are all older, but when people ask me where to go, I always ask what the interest level is and how much do they want to dedicate to time in a studio. I also tell them to go watch....but, watch their highest level of students to see if the training is what they are looking for. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Love 15
23 hours ago, MamaV said:

Do we think Kelli was caught off guard by Neecie’s VK comments or was it all scripted?

There is a deleted scene on Facebook DCC MTT  I wish I could upload it on to here but it wont let me.  Did you see it?

• Love 2
On 9/11/2018 at 11:39 AM, edelweiss said:

I'm amazed at how many times she tried out before she made training camp.  When I went back to watch old seasons, I was surprised to see how many times that I saw her in the background.  I was really shocked to see her all the way back in Season 4!

You're not the only one who found it shocking that it took Kelli so many attempts to make the squad!  She's gorgeous and is an amazing dancer.  Glad to see her finally have the success she worked so hard to achieve, and wonder why we heard so little about her (as compared to Christina, for example?)

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, cardsfan720 said:

You're not the only one who found it shocking that it took Kelli so many attempts to make the squad!  She's gorgeous and is an amazing dancer.  Glad to see her finally have the success she worked so hard to achieve, and wonder why we heard so little about her (as compared to Christina, for example?)

The  difference could be that Kellie is an excellent dancer that they kept over-looking compared to Christina who is just a so-so dancer but kept trying until she made it. IMO

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I almost forgot about the Minchew sisters.    I couldn't believe they wanted to work DCC around their pageant obligations during the year, and thought Kelli and Judy would be OK with that.   And then the one sister coming back later just floored me.   

I do not believe Kelli and especially Judy wanted them in TC. I think this has Charlotte and CMT written all over it. I do not think either girl was going to make the team.

And Hannah reminds me of Kellie. Brilliant dancer but not quite the right look for TPTB altho I think they’re both beautiful. So it takes those girls try after try but the ones with the rite look get into camp 1st try whether they can dance or not. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Trixi said:

The  difference could be that Kellie is an excellent dancer that they kept over-looking compared to Christina who is just a so-so dancer but kept trying until she made it. IMO

I think Kelli may have tried even more times than Christina.  Someone posted a while ago screenshots from several past seasons where you can see Kelli sitting in the background.

• Love 3
On 9/11/2018 at 5:44 PM, Tootie said:

I THINK this is it....  Has anyone seen any pictures to suggest otherwise??

2018-09-11 (41).png

Thanks for the diagram! So cool to see where everyone is in the formation!  Looking at it in terms of tenure, I'm surprised that Amy hasn't been mentioned as possible point!  Opinions, please?

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Trixi said:

*cough storyline cough* Christina was a struggler trying out for the fifth time and almost did not make the team. Kelli came in and kick behind. Now if Kelli was struggling and barely made the team I am sure CMT would have focus on her a lot more.

Edited by bigskygirl
On 9/11/2018 at 7:27 PM, EricaShadows said:

I'm surprised Tess is so far back and so in the middle of things.  I would think she would be further forward and more towards the outside instead of buried in the middle.  Frankly, I think the more years you have on the squad, the further forward you should be in the triangle until you can go no further for whatever reason because you're a stronger, better dancer (especially at the DCC style, then the new girls).  I would like to be surprised that there are THREE 3-year vets so far back, but really, Tess is the only one that does and, if she has to be so far back, she should be where Yuko is, on the outside.  I'm not surprised that Gina and Lauren have moved up some in the triangle because they're rock start dancers and pretty (Gina is more sultry and Lauren is more girl-next-door).  What DOES surprise me is that there are so many rookies so far up in the triangle.  Well, that and that they put Christina on the outside row.  She's probably the only one of the current 2-year vets who will permanenly stay in the back two rows of the formation until she retires or gets cut.

The rookies that are so far forward are in SG, right?  That might explain it.

• Love 2
On 9/11/2018 at 9:54 PM, Monique said:

Does anyone know if height plays a role in placement in the triangle?

It should.  The spot Khalyn has, for example...if you're not particularly tall you could get lost in that spot.  And I assume, as you said, since the tallest are in the center of kickline, where they are placed in the triangle also determines where they are placed in the kickline.

• Love 1
Just now, ByTor said:

It should.  The spot Khalyn has, for example...if you're not particularly tall you could get lost in that spot.  And I assume, as you said, since the tallest are in the center of kickline, where they are placed in the triangle also determines where they are placed in the kickline.

That's what I was wondering cause in video of past pre-games/halftime routines, Kristin G, Tia and Meredith are near each other in about the same location Tess is now.  

• Love 1
On 9/11/2018 at 6:44 PM, Tootie said:

I THINK this is it....  Has anyone seen any pictures to suggest otherwise??

2018-09-11 (41).png

Ahhhh.. pretty... was this on the DCC site ? Looks like Excel.

Is there a story why Amy is on row 4 - even though she is a 4 yr vet.

Edited by sATL