Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

So, I just finished watching the last 10 minutes of last nights episode (it was storming bad here in Georgia, so my cable froze up), anyway...VK does not bother me as much as her mom, Tina. I mean good grief tone it down a few notches. I know you are happy for her but dont be embarrassing. 

• Love 2

How would they do alternates? They do not know if someone would have an injury causing her not to be able to perform. They have All-Stars who have step up when a girl was injured aka Emma and Mia. No need for alternates. In Season 10?, they cut at least four girls the day before the team was finally announced. They have done it before, and I would not be surprised if the same thing happens again this year.

6 hours ago, McKinezeInFloMnd said:

3) Daphne (UCLA) Cheer captain. Ugh got a weird vibe from her edit. She seemed unapproachable and fake and had a RBF. (might be against the rules of this board to type out what RBF means)

I got weird vibes from her as well, possibly a little arrogant. I was also distracted by her teeth. It almost looks like she has bad veneers

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

I found it odd that they followed Daphne all the way to UCLA

Me too. Was she recruited?

I really appreciated the new addition at the end of the show where Kelli actually explained why some girls were chosen/not chosen for the next round. 

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Prediction...bloodbath tonight.

I think so too.

I really don't mind Melissa at all.  If you look back on her in season 1, she was just your average young gawky girl hoping to be a DCC and obviously lacked maturity and needed to be whipped into shape mentally.   She managed to grow up, not do anything horribly embarrassing to the organization, didn't go the way of Chelsea with the plastic surgery.  I didn't see her on The Bachelor so don't know how she acted there.

But I think DCC considers her a good example of how being there can mold a youngster into a well rounded woman who can hold her own in the room.  She isn't "snowflakely" either.

That sounds like I am  a DCC cheerleader I know.   But I think it fits with Melissa.  

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Alternates wouldn't be fair, you're never "really" on the team. 

Plus, I don't see anybody being willing to commit so much time to rehearsing when they may never even get a chance to perform.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rl27rl said:

Of course it is.  Still pushing her . . .

"Pushing" her for...to do...like, I don't understand what that means? "Pushing" her down our throats? What?

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

I seriously doubt they are taking 41 girls. TC is not over, and I bet there will be more cuts coming.

They had some girls in the office last night (allegedly), so I wonder if someone got cut yesterday.

Just now, LadyMsJay said:

"Pushing" her for...to do...like, I don't understand what that means? "Pushing" her down our throats? What?

They had some girls in the office last night (allegedly), so I wonder if someone got cut yesterday.

I heard there was no cuts last night 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Txmomof2 said:

No there are 2 - one from Kelli and one from Judy. The one from Judy isn't posted yet. It is all of them in a group with the choreographer in the middle. I checked the most recent isn't posted yet

Here's the pic from Judy's Insta.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rl27rl said:

"It was literally mere minutes into the episode, Kelli was talking about "making life long friends". Nothing about legacies had even come up yet. They could have used any of the dozens upon dozens of pics of the girls on social media who are still friends, but nope, it was alll Cassie"

I just rolled my eyes.  All these years later and they are still pushing her on.  Could they just stop . . . really?

I don’t necessarily think it’s them trying to push Cassie on us, in this specific instance. CMT did a special on her wedding a few years ago if I’m remembering correctly, so they probably just went and grabbed the footage/pics they had in archives to use rather than hunting up other DCCs’ social media pages and then having to get signed waivers from them all to be able to use their pictures. Not saying they shouldn’t have done that for some variety, but it was probably just easier for CMT to use their own material that they already have all the rights to. 

Edited by Kethomp
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Was she accepted into their college program, like she would be getting her bachelors in fine arts? Or is this just pure dance training? I haven’t watched the episode yet.

The scholarship was offered to her in JR High School. Tina said she didn’t go because she didn’t want “to give up her baby.” Honestly, I don’t know that I would want my 13 year old moving to NYC by herself either- even if I could afford the rest of tuition. I would feel differently if it was a HS program. 

• Love 4
On 8/1/2018 at 6:56 PM, 5678Pixie said:

Tina has been grooming Victoria since day one.  This is a post on her Facebook.32323601_10155799099163401_5533031880095432704_n.thumb.jpg.51221d04c493f32459f75edcea028acb.jpg

Tina Kalina is with Samantha Finglass and 2 others.

May 12 · 

I am overcome with every emotion as I type this post ..... I have waited 18 years for this moment and it's with tears rolling down my cheeks that I PROUDLY announce that Victoria Kalina will be spending this summer in the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Training Camp in hopes of EARNING her 15 STARS, her LUCCHESE BOOTS and her spot with the GREATEST sports organization in the world.....the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.Congratulations, Victoria!

PS - If I post alot of audition pics, please forgive me - this is a super special time in my life!

I will never like VK, but I pity her for having Tina as a mother. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

The scholarship was offered to her in JR High School. Tina said she didn’t go because she didn’t want “to give up her baby.” Honestly, I don’t know that I would want my 13 year old moving to NYC by herself either- even if I could afford the rest of tuition. I would feel differently if it was a HS program. 

Yes, that’s very young IMO, and wow, that’s a hella expensive program for a kid in junior high. Obviously, I don’t begrudge anyone from taking advantage of opportunities, but they live in Dallas (the fourth largest metro area by population in the US), not the middle of nowhere. I’m sure there are great dance schools there. My kid would have to just deal with the local programs until she got older. 

• Love 3

Would someone post up a picture of all the training camp candidates and their current status?  I looked through the pages here but can't find the posts with the headshots.  Thanks a bunch!!

6 minutes ago, WickedMom said:

Would someone post up a picture of all the training camp candidates and their current status?  I looked through the pages here but can't find the posts with the headshots.  Thanks a bunch!!

Edited by Holly85
3 minutes ago, WickedMom said:

Jasmine, Taylor T, Lindsay and Dayton have been cut 

4DD8640D-9814-48DE-B68E-6E73E09B1926.png

@Holly85- lol. 

9 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Yes, that’s very young IMO, and wow, that’s a hella expensive program for a kid in junior high. Obviously, I don’t begrudge anyone from taking advantage of opportunities, but they live in Dallas (the fourth largest metro area by population in the US), not the middle of nowhere. I’m sure there are great dance schools there. My kid would have to just deal with the local programs until she got older. 

Miss Kitty forever <3

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Christineelgene said:

I am also surprised that Lindsay was cut.  Her performance at prelims was strong and got great comments from Kelli, etc.

Could be that she might have trouble picking up the dcc style? We haven’t seen her do a Pom routine yet so maybe next week we’ll see if she was one of the weaker ones in the DCC style, and perhaps she was one they took into camp to try and clean it up. Hopefully we’ll get more answers as the show goes on. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Christineelgene said:

I am also surprised that Lindsay was cut.  Her performance at prelims was strong and got great comments from Kelli, etc.

Maybe I should hold my tongue until I see all the makeovers - but... :/

Just now, CheerGoddess said:

Could be that she might have trouble picking up the dcc style? We haven’t seen her do a Pom routine yet so maybe next week we’ll see if she was one of the weaker ones in the DCC style, and perhaps she was one they took into camp to try and clean it up. Hopefully we’ll get more answers as the show goes on. 

She's so pretty too...comparatively to the others!

22 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

Thanks for reminding me of that.  I heard high school when I was watching the episode.    

While I've heard of dancers moving to NYC at that age, it's usually SERIOUS ballet dancers and they're usually on full scholarships to schools like SAB, Joffrey, Julliard and the like.  They're usually required to live in dorms which have people looking out for them.  Sometimes parents do move with them and both live in an apartment as close to the school as they can afford, but it's usually cheaper for the student to go alone and live in the dorm, especially if they have a full scholarship that includes room and board.

While winning a $20k scholarship is good (and shows that Victoria has talent), it doesn't cover everything that AMDA offers (I had to research the school for a work project I was on and wasn't impressed).  I get Tina being concerned about her "baby girl" going off to the big, bad city alone at that age and paying enough to buy a small car for a girl that might not be able to handle the pressures of big city life/living alone/whole new situation/etc., but the way I heard/read it (which could be, and probably is, wrong) was that Tina was more concerned about herself than she was about Victoria.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

Thanks for reminding me of that.  I heard high school when I was watching the episode.    

While I've heard of dancers moving to NYC at that age, it's usually SERIOUS ballet dancers and they're usually on full scholarships to schools like SAB, Joffrey, Julliard and the like.  They're usually required to live in dorms which have people looking out for them.  Sometimes parents do move with them and both live in an apartment as close to the school as they can afford, but it's usually cheaper for the student to go alone and live in the dorm, especially if they have a full scholarship that includes room and board.

While winning a $20k scholarship is good (and shows that Victoria has talent), it doesn't cover everything that AMDA offers (I had to research the school for a work project I was on and wasn't impressed).  I get Tina being concerned about her "baby girl" going off to the big, bad city alone at that age and paying enough to buy a small car for a girl that might not be able to handle the pressures of big city life/living alone/whole new situation/etc., but the way I heard/read it (which could be, and probably is, wrong) was that Tina was more concerned about herself than she was about Victoria.

Agree with all you said. Kids with serious potential in things like Dance, Olympic sports, Gymnastics often go to another state to train at a very young age.  Her opportunity just didn’t sound the same to me. For example, The Joffrey offers some summer programs that are not highly respected in the dance industry as they lower their normal admission standards and use it more for revenue generation from the masses than their normal full year programs. 

And Tina represents herself (or ALL of her CMT edit represents her as) someone who would say “I just didn’t want to let my baby go,” when she really meant, “it was a partial scholarship and we didn’t think it was feasible for our family at that time.”

BUT, I don’t know her. I don’t know their situation.  Just my opinion based on the total of 10-12 minutes that I’ve seen of her over the years, so I’m probably wrong. ?

ETA: WHEN Tina and Victoria read these posts- I honestly respect BOTH of their accomplishments. From the 4-6 minutes of Victoria dancing, it’s obvious that she has natural talent, and obvious that she has worked very hard in her art. Tina was a DCC and that, in and of itself is also an accomplishment.  

Edited by Taralightner

Honestly, I don't think there was anything wrong with the Victoria/Tina piece.  I think Victoria was well spoken, did not act entitled and was actually enjoyable to listen to.  Dayton, had a great piece as well and she will always be one of my faves.  

• Love 12

From last night’s episode during the introductions showed right after Melissa said, “I wonder if some have read the job description before trying out.”

”My name is Tara; for memory sake, my name is Tara.”

This made me laugh and (as my username suggests) My name is Tara- don’t forget- my name is Tara. Lol. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kethomp said:

I don’t necessarily think it’s them trying to push Cassie on us, in this specific instance. CMT did a special on her wedding a few years ago if I’m remembering correctly, so they probably just went and grabbed the footage/pics they had in archives to use rather than hunting up other DCCs’ social media pages and then having to get signed waivers from them all to be able to use their pictures. Not saying they shouldn’t have done that for some variety, but it was probably just easier for CMT to use their own material that they already have all the rights to. 

This. I’m over the Cassie hate. It’s been years, and I don’t care about nepotism, cattiness, mediocre dancing, etc. It is over and DONE. Can’t change the past.

Coming from a media/marketing/PR background, CMT is absolutely using its pre existing resources and just recycling the footage they already have. It’s cheaper and easier, plus Cassie is recognizable bc she was there forverver, Was part of the special, still comes to alumni activities, etc. If a certain girl annoys me, I just forward on past it.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Kethomp said:

That's the exact point I was making!

17 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

This. I’m over the Cassie hate. It’s been years, and I don’t care about nepotism, cattiness, mediocre dancing, etc. It is over and DONE. Can’t change the past.

Coming from a media/marketing/PR background, CMT is absolutely using its pre existing resources and just recycling the footage they already have. It’s cheaper and easier, plus Cassie is recognizable bc she was there forverver, Was part of the special, still comes to alumni activities, etc. If a certain girl annoys me, I just forward on past it.

Same. She'll be gone shortly anyway lol

• Love 2
3 hours ago, rl27rl said:

"It was literally mere minutes into the episode, Kelli was talking about "making life long friends". Nothing about legacies had even come up yet. They could have used any of the dozens upon dozens of pics of the girls on social media who are still friends, but nope, it was alll Cassie"

I just rolled my eyes.  All these years later and they are still pushing her on.  Could they just stop . . . really?

Yes I agree 

The montage of Cassie shots was cringeworthy. What a perfect moment to show DCC at their reunions, Christmas parties, banquets, group shot of alumni who helped at tryouts--anything but focusing on just one DCC who happens to be the daughter of the choreographer. (Cassie was in every single picture.)

It's those kinds of decisions that make fans say "enough already" with the focus on Cassie. 

And btw if Kelli and the CMT crew can't figure it out, just hire Sam Finglass or another teen to do it and they will have it done in about 10 minutes. 

• Love 8

Re Lindsay, as a TCU Showgirl she would have the DCC style down pat as they are literally exactly the same. However, TCU's choreography is very simple and repetitive and I suspect someone in her position could be a good dancer and performer and look the part, but be hopelessly lost in the fast pace of TC. Just speculation, of course.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Dinahsb said:

I’m wondering why any Mom would want their 18 year old to be DCC instead of pursuing college. 

Probably the same one who thinks her daughter just needs to be pretty and catch a rich husband 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I seriously doubt they are taking 41 girls. TC is not over, and I bet there will be more cuts coming.

Yep I'm guessing three to five cuts tonight...maybe one next week of somebody they're on the fence about. I can just hear Kelli saying "we're out of time. You're not ready for this team this year. Tonight's going to be your last night." 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Oklahomama said:

I truly think by even mentioning the weight snippet with VK that they were setting the stage/tone of what’s to come...

Especially if it's true that she's gained 10-15 pounds.  Unless she's gained even more weight since then, the weight MIGHT make her look prettier, but that's if it's in the 5 or so pound range.  While 10-15 won't make her look chunky by any means, it could make her look softer, especially around the middle, which could lead to someone saying she looks out of shape.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, McKinezeInFloMnd said:

I noticed that as well, just guessing on this, but they probably do the Kelli introduction speech in different groups, they probably seat around 135 at a time. Kelli walks out and talks to them, then the next group comes out. They might do that for a handful of reasons. Again just a guess on that. 

If this is what they do, then do they also have girls show up to the stadium at different times? When they’re lined up outside waiting for Phil to let them in, it’s nowhere near 400 in line. Also when they’re outside waiting for the board it doesn’t look like 400. IMO

But it’s not like I paused the screen and counted, so I cud b mistaken?

• Love 1

I think 135 was the total number who showed up, not 135 in each group.  I remember someone saying that there was no more than 150 at Finals.  Besides, as far as I know, they've ALWAYS brought in everyone at once.  It's TRADITION.  *snark off*

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kayce said:

Honestly, I don't think there was anything wrong with the Victoria/Tina piece.  I think Victoria was well spoken, did not act entitled and was actually enjoyable to listen to.  Dayton, had a great piece as well and she will always be one of my faves.  

I don’t see anything wrong with it other than there was an unequal amount of time spent with her. 

So I’m rewatching last nites ep and here’s 2 things. 

1) Rite before they start dancing Kelli says ‘Alright everybody, remember there are 400 of you here today with only 100 making the semis’

2) Rite after Judy says ‘I wud have expected more out of Dayton with those fortes, Kelli says VK is coming out big and coming out bold. I almost had tears etc, etc. 

I feel Dayton and @ShellyB were treated very disrespectfully in this episode and seeing what Dayton has posted since, I don’t feel it gets any better and what a shame. 

• Love 10