Type keyword(s) to search

Season 13 Anticipation

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

22 minutes ago, GreyLensman said:

I know that this may be a bit off topic, but I don't think it fits any of the others.

I know that in the past several years Kelli and Judy have picked a total of 36 ladies for the final squad.  I agree with this number as a well rounded group and it displays very well on the field during the pre-game show as well as divided into four sideline squads of nine ladies.  However, this last year may have been a special case with all of the losses during the season, but I saw a video of the entire squad in November and there were only 24 ladies.  They still did the pregame show but it just didn't have the presentation punch of a full team.

I was wondering if Kelli, Judy and Charlotte have considered expanding the squad to 40 or 42 ladies with the extras being on standby just in case

If a girl was injured or was not allowed to perform with the squad for some reason, Kelli and Judy would re-arranged the girls or have an All-Star stepped in. She had Mia and Emma step in for an injured girl before on game day. I do not think she would bring in extra girls on the squad to be on standby.

34 minutes ago, GreyLensman said:

I was wondering if Kelli, Judy and Charlotte have considered expanding the squad to 40 or 42 ladies with the extras being on standby just in case. 

I don’t know if they have considered it, but I seriously doubt they would significantly expand the team. That’s just more people to pay. I think they prefer to just use All Stars when girls drop out or are injured. They already know the opening routine, which is really the only place where they’re needed in terms of the formation. I’m sure it’s the much cheaper option. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

I do not think she would bring in extra girls on the squad to be on standby.

I can't imagine anyone who would be willing to do that anyway, all that time rehearsing and you may never get to perform.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I can't imagine anyone who would be willing to do that anyway, all that time rehearsing and you may never get to perform.

Yeh, you're either on the team or you're not :)

2 hours ago, ByTor said:

There are alot of teams that actually do that though. I remember back in HS we had the whole squad then had a "performance squad" that was kind of like a show group, but you had to audition before every show to know whether or not you would be performing.

Just now, LadyMsJay said:

There are alot of teams that actually do that though. I remember back in HS we had the whole squad then had a "performance squad" that was kind of like a show group, but you had to audition before every show to know whether or not you would be performing.

That I can see.  I wouldn't put it past me if I'm misunderstanding yet another post LOL, but I thought it was about having "alternates" in case someone was injured or quit.

1 minute ago, ByTor said:

That I can see.  I wouldn't put it past me if I'm misunderstanding yet another post LOL, but I thought it was about having "alternates" in case someone was injured or quit.

That’s how I read it too, although that may not be what was meant. I think some competitive college cheerleading and dance squads have alternates, but I think in some (many?) cases, the team has more members than is allowed for competitions, so the alternates are technically on the team and perform at games, etc, but just may not make the cut for the actual competition team unless someone else gets hurt. I’m curious how many teams utilize pure alternates (ie. don’t do anything other than dance/compete when or if someone on the team is out).

When I cheered in high school, we tried the alternate route one year, and it just never really worked. The couple of alternates basically just ended up cheering at nearly everything, whether someone else was out or not, which defeated the purpose...

"Anticipation"--the title of this thread.  Makes me think of the commercial where the ketchup is so slow coming out.  I'm thinking maybe the tune by that name was also sung?

That's about how I feel about waiting on the new season.  

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

"Anticipation"--the title of this thread.  Makes me think of the commercial where the ketchup is so slow coming out.  I'm thinking maybe the tune by that name was also sung?

That's about how I feel about waiting on the new season.  

Am I showing my age if I say, Carly Simon?

• Love 3
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Stagecoach said:

Am I showing my age if I say, Carly Simon?

Well it depends upon who you ask I guess.  Because I remember that song for sure.  And the commercial.  Lordy mercy it was way back in 1987.

Edited by parrotfeathers
add date
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Well it depends upon who you ask I guess.  Because I remember that song for sure.  And the commercial.  Lordy mercy it was way back in 1987.

I remember that commercial from the 70s.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, ByTor said:

Nope, you're right. I guess I just chose to misread the original post! smh

So who’s DVR picked up the sneak peek!?!? I was so excited to see it today!  Show starts on Thirsday!!!!

I did spoil myself for the tryouts, only because I can never follow along anyway, they show a million people and I guarantee I still won’t know half of them :-)

43 minutes ago, Collette1104 said:

So who’s DVR picked up the sneak peek!?!? I was so excited to see it today!  Show starts on Thirsday!!!!

I did spoil myself for the tryouts, only because I can never follow along anyway, they show a million people and I guarantee I still won’t know half of them :-)

Mine did.  I’m also excited.

(edited)

This probably won't be covered on the show, but we will be able to tell from social media.

I want to see which of the 2nd years really bring it. As rookies, they are always in the back and I can't tell who's strong.

I'm not into judging anyone on looks(it's 2018). But there several TCC's that really aren't anywhere close to "the look." Therefore, I'm assuming they are real dancing divas. That makes me excited.

#DropItLikeItsHot

Edited by hypeman
  • Love 3
(edited)
16 minutes ago, hypeman said:

This probably won't be covered on the show, but we will be able to tell from social media.

I want to see which of the 2nd years really bring it. As rookies, they are always in the back and I can't tell who's strong.

I'm not into judging anyone on looks(it's 2018). But there several TCC's that really aren't anywhere close to "the look." Therefore, I'm assuming they are real dancing divas. That makes me excited.

#DropItLikeItsHot

I, too, would like to see how the 2nd years improve or IF they've improved.  For the 2nd year vets, this is their make-it-or-break-it year, especially if they've survived the cuts at Finals a short time back.  Their first year, they got a little slack because it's their first time on the squad and are still getting used to it all.  If they don't bring it this year, likely we'll see some of them cut next year if they don't leave of their own accord after this year.  

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 1

One thing I would like to see featured on the show is how they create the four groups. Last year, I thought that the groups were lopsided in terms of dance ability and showmanship, so I'm curious of the process and how that came to be. I don't remember the groups being quite so uneven in the past, so it's possible that was just a one-off, but I would still love to see the process. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Last year, I thought that the groups were lopsided in terms of dance ability and showmanship

Alternate view (I'm full of them).

• The group leader and asst.  teach their group the dance and help clean up the individual performances. (FACT)
  • Teaching is not easy. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you can instruct someone how to do it.
  • If a group is losing girls it could be due to poor instruction.
  • If the group leader doesn't have "that pop", she most likely won't be able to help someone else attain it.
  • You can't get blood from a turnip.

The groups always seem to be pretty balanced before. The difference last year was in the experience of the leaders. For example, Jenna was in her 3rd year of leadership (2nd year as main leader). Kash was never a 2nd. I believe that is ALSO a plausible explanation for the group's disparity in performance.

As a manager, if your group is struggling, you need to take ownership of it. Weak leaders blame the team.

It will be interesting how this year shakes out, GroupWise.

• Love 5

I've rewatched all the seasons recently. All I have to say is, do they REALLY have to say the same things every year? "It's all on the line", "My dance career is on the line", "Working really hard", "Tonight's a cut night", "more power", at the first meeting "I really don't know what we are going to talk about" (watch the previous seasons, you dolt! I find myself yelling at the TV), "1, 2, 3 LINE!!!" "It's a mess". We have discussed turning it into a DCC drinking game but I would be going to the ED in the first 20 minutes of the show. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GBPackersfan said:

I've rewatched all the seasons recently. All I have to say is, do they REALLY have to say the same things every year? "It's all on the line", "My dance career is on the line", "Working really hard", "Tonight's a cut night", "more power", at the first meeting "I really don't know what we are going to talk about" (watch the previous seasons, you dolt! I find myself yelling at the TV), "1, 2, 3 LINE!!!" "It's a mess". We have discussed turning it into a DCC drinking game but I would be going to the ED in the first 20 minutes of the show. 

I can understand the technical stuff like "1,2,3 LINE" because that doesn't change.  But you would think by now that there would be better clarification regarding "it's a mess" or "you blend."  Cause not only can those auditioning watch old eps, but I would hope that K&J watch old eps and realize "hey, I do say that a lot" or "gee, maybe that is what those geniuses on PTV mean when they say we don't explain stuff very well."

And you would think by now that veterans would learn not to say "veterans could get cut tonight" or "I'm scared I could lose my place."  Cause we all know what happens to that person:(

• Love 1

I always want to see group leaders doing their thing more than has been shown. I want to see how the groups and leaders are chosen in a meeting w/ K & J, and I would love to see the 1st and 2nds leading practice. Especially after the drama of last year, it would be nice to get more insight into what it takes to be a great group leader. 

I don't mind some introductions to ladies who don't make it to training camp. If they only give interviews and backgrounds for ladies who make it, then there is zero suspense about who gets cut. I definitely agree that it sucks when, once camp starts, cmt focuses mostly or heavily on the strugglers and those who ultimately get cut. The Morgan Show, etc. I'd much rather have gotten to see and "know" more of the rookies, especially the rockstar ones. I think cmt has done a better job on this in recent seasons. So excited for the premiere and the season! 

• Love 4
On 7/18/2018 at 3:15 PM, Lexusprincess said:

I am not a fan of the sob stories.  I hate them!  I really do not want to hear who lost a friend at a young age or the exaggerated I was raised poor (Vivian)  Dance classes are not cheap and if you have years of dance, you are not dirt poor.   And please save me from the "I am a single mom!"  Nothing wrong with being a single mom,  it just does not make you a better candidate.

And sometimes they want to create a sob story when there's really not one to be had.  A couple of years ago, an absolutely stunning TCC shared her story of having psoriasis.  Don't get me wrong, I know that's a difficult thing to have.  But does it really merit a segment???

I still think some of those who don’t make it is because the individual girl cannot get the style or cannot learn the choreography.  Meagan F had more help from amazing vets ( her roommates Tobie and Brooke) and she couldn’t learn.  

Considering last year the comments were group 1 got stacked with better rookies, Jenna had more to start with

(edited)

One thing about Melissa Rycroft: (embarrassing revelation to follow)  I actually read her book and it doesn't sound like she was a model cheerleader.  She quit the squad and then begged to be put on again or something like that?  I wonder why they didn't choose a rockstar retiree to come back and mentor?  Someone along the lines of an Ashton Torres or an Ally Traynor. 

I know she was on Dancing With The Stars but, sheesh, is there really someone out there who wouldn't normally MTT but says, "Well, hey, I'm gonna watch this show because Melissa Rycroft is on here.  I just lurve Melissa Rycroft!"?

Edited by Pink-n-Green
  • Love 5
58 minutes ago, Pink-n-Green said:

And sometimes they want to create a sob story when there's really not one to be had.  A couple of years ago, an absolutely stunning TCC shared her story of having psoriasis.  Don't get me wrong, I know that's a difficult thing to have.  But does it really merit a segment???

I think that was Milan, and I feel the same way! Yes, it is hard to deal with, but there are people out there who have terminal cancer... 

8 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

I think that was Milan, and I feel the same way! Yes, it is hard to deal with, but there are people out there who have terminal cancer... 

Wasn't it Maggie? I think Milan had Scoliosis and talked about that in her intro? Could be wrong. So excited for the new season!!

Love this trio!!

dcc13.jpg

• Love 7
(edited)
5 minutes ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Khalyn is so photogenic!! Are these last years cameos? I wish she would have a smiling cameo.

She really is! Yes I believe they are last year's cameos. 

Edited by NicoleS9954
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Pink-n-Green said:

One thing about Melissa Rycroft: (embarrassing revelation to follow)  I actually read her book and it doesn't sound like she was a model cheerleader.  She quit the squad and then begged to be put on again or something like that?  I wonder why they didn't choose a rockstar retiree to come back and mentor?  Someone along the lines of an Ashton Torres or an Ally Traynor. 

I know she was on Dancing With The Stars but, sheesh, is there really someone out there who wouldn't normally MTT but says, "Well, hey, I'm gonna watch this show because Melissa Rycroft is on here.  I just lurve Melissa Rycroft!"?

I read her book too.  I wish I could get my money back.  It just reminded me of a middle schooler's diary.  She is over there pining after some guy that wanted nothing to do with her, and then she became "in/famous" from the Bachelor and then he was all up in her business.  I totally agree with you that they could have brought a rockstar back like Ashton, even Makenzi Swicegood, someone of that caliber.  I DVR the MTT:DCC and fast forward thru those parts with Melissa.  I really wish they would stop shoving her down our throats.  It is so old!

30 minutes ago, rl27rl said:

I read her book too.  I wish I could get my money back.  It just reminded me of a middle schooler's diary.  She is over there pining after some guy that wanted nothing to do with her, and then she became "in/famous" from the Bachelor and then he was all up in her business.  I totally agree with you that they could have brought a rockstar back like Ashton, even Makenzi Swicegood, someone of that caliber.  I DVR the MTT:DCC and fast forward thru those parts with Melissa.  I really wish they would stop shoving her down our throats.  It is so old!

I think it was two years ago after Season 11 CMT did a survey on what the viewers and fans wanted in the show. I guess viewers wanted less Mentor Melissa scenes. Last year it was nice with less Mentor Melissa scenes. Hopefully Season 13 will be the same.

(edited)
1 hour ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Khalyn is so photogenic!! Are these last years cameos? I wish she would have a smiling cameo.

Khalyn is my fave out of this group of 21 veterans, hands down! I think she is an awesome dancer, and is stunning! I'm glad to see her getting some recognition :) 

Edited by Kayce
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, NicoleS9954 said:

Wasn't it Maggie? I think Milan had Scoliosis and talked about that in her intro? Could be wrong. So excited for the new season!!

Love this trio!!

dcc13.jpg

Could have been Maggie... I’m not 100% sure. I’ll try to find it. I’m sooo excited for Thurs! 

• Love 1

Maggie was the one that had psoriasis.  A couple candidates / cheerleaders have mentioned scoliosis.  

I would like to get a peek at show group rehearsals, and also the small groups.  I would also like to see the TCCs get the feedback that Kelli's always muttering into her phone!   

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

A couple candidates / cheerleaders have mentioned scoliosis.  

I recall Robin having scoliosis.  And Jasmine had a club foot.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

Maggie was the one that had psoriasis.  A couple candidates / cheerleaders have mentioned scoliosis.  

I would like to get a peek at show group rehearsals, and also the small groups.  I would also like to see the TCCs get the feedback that Kelli's always muttering into her phone!   

There’s a show group performance from Oxnard posted in the spoilers thread. It’s on the last 3 pages of the thread. :) It’s only the vets that made show group, as the rookies weren’t invited to Oxnard. If you’re worried about other spoilers, there aren’t too many this year. But you can just scroll through until you see the video clips. 

I want to see the show group rehearsals, i.e. them working on all the extra dances they do.  During the seasons when they've shown a Meet the Team-type event, the Show Group seems to have a LOT of numbers.  I'm curious about who choreographs, does Judy lead the rehearsals, etc.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, rl27rl said:

I feel like paraphrasing that line from "Mean Girls".  Stop trying to make Mentor Melissa happen!!!

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Collette1104 said:

I didn’t find this board until 3/4 of the way through last season, so can anyone tell me if there will be individual boards for talking about the episodes as they air??

There should be individual threads for each episode starting on Thursday evening when the first episode airs.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:00 PM, NicoleS9954 said:

Anyone else sort of cringe at those scenes in some seasons where the TCCs meet for practice at a studio with a vet, after the first night of Training Camp? While stretching they always ask the same questions like 'Do you think tonight will be a cut night?' lol seems a bit scripted

Remember that awkward moment a few years ago when Kelsey said to Melissa something about how did she look so good so soon after having a baby?  I could practically hear the gears in Kelsey's head turning as she tried to remember exactly what ass-kissing comment she was supposed to make.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Pink-n-Green said:

Remember that awkward moment a few years ago when Kelsey said to Melissa something about how did she look so good so soon after having a baby?  I could practically hear the gears in Kelsey's head turning as she tried to remember exactly what ass-kissing comment she was supposed to make.

Hahahahahaha!!!  And I love your other post about the "Mean Girls"!!  Finally!! Someone said it!!! LOL!

• Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 1:57 AM, GBPackersfan said:

It would mean if we all got together for a drinking game that there would be fierce drinking game rules. 

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Opine said:

I can't wait!  I just wish it were on before 10pm EST!!!  Some of us have to get up at 5am.  My husband and son keep texting me "123DCCwoooo"!!!!  

I hear you.  It's also 10pm on the West Coast.  Grrrr....  But also very excited it's finally here!