Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 4/30/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I don't understand the boy scouts thing. If they are including girls into their group, then why is there a girl scout thing too? I kind of agree that it's okay to separate them for this, but if the issue is that the boys are doing cool stuff and the girls are not, then why not change the way the girls scouts is operated? Now you have the Scouts BSA, which include boys and girls and the Girl Scouts, which is just girls. That seems kind of stupid.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 15
21 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I may be wrong--and if there's one thing she's proven while being on the show, it's that she has no self-control--but I have a feeling McCain will try to be on her best behavior throughout May sweeps. Emphasize on 'try.' I wonder how long it'll take her to crack.

She's back Tuesday ..... I give her until Wednesday.

• Love 5

We never did cool stuff in Girl Scouts back in the day. I joined thinking I'd go camping and start fires :-) We were sent alone walking around knocking on strangers doors to sell cookies ....and we did crafts. FUN... not 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, ari333 said:

We never did cool stuff in Girl Scouts back in the day. I joined thinking I'd go camping and start fires :-) We were sent alone walking around knocking on strangers doors to sell cookies ....and we did crafts. FUN... not 

But that's the thing, why can't the Girl Scouts change how they run things instead of forcing the Boy Scouts into being inclusive?

I think being inclusive is all great, but I do have a problem with not fixing a major problem and forcing another group into conforming to your ideals. It's good that the Boy Scouts are doing something to help, but that doesn't fix the original problem which is how the Girl Scouts ran things.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

I wanted to hear from Whoopi on this, with all the trouble she and Ted Danson got into awhile back at the roast. I understand jokes being darker, but for me that was the line that was crossed, when a white man, dressed in black face, eating a watermelon, and using the N word.  I just can't find that under and circumstances funny.

She didn't look too pleased when Joy brought it up.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:
1 hour ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

I wanted to hear from Whoopi on this, with all the trouble she and Ted Danson got into awhile back at the roast. I understand jokes being darker, but for me that was the line that was crossed, when a white man, dressed in black face, eating a watermelon, and using the N word.  I just can't find that under and circumstances funny.

Joy did ask Whoopi first if she could talk about it and she said yes.  But Joy didn't go into specifics and Whoopi didn't elaborate.  Joy was trying to illustrate the point that roasts are supposed to be private and what happens at a roast should stay at a roast but that incident was not one of Whoopi's finer moments.  As much as I found the whole thing appalling it does bother me that Whoopi paid a price for it but Ted Danson did not.

• Love 14
20 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

She wouldn't because Whoopi didn't think Danson did anything wrong. Remember, she doesn't have a problem with N word.

15 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Joy did ask Whoopi first if she could talk about it and she said yes.  But Joy didn't go into specifics and Whoopi didn't elaborate.  Joy was trying to illustrate the point that roasts are supposed to be private and what happens at a roast should stay at a roast but that incident was not one of Whoopi's finer moments.  As much as I found the whole thing appalling it does bother me that Whoopi paid a price for it but Ted Danson did not.

Same. I don remember that Ed Bradley on 60 Minutes asked her about it, and she brushed it off; didn't want to really talk about it.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, ari333 said:

We never did cool stuff in Girl Scouts back in the day. I joined thinking I'd go camping and start fires :-)

What about ME?  I was a Camp Fire Girl and even WE didn't get any fires.  We were relegated to selling cans of peanuts!  (1950-54).  I'd bet the majority of us wanted to do most of the things the Boy Scouts were doing.  

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, CheezyXpressed said:

But that's the thing, why can't the Girl Scouts change how they run things instead of forcing the Boy Scouts into being inclusive?

I think being inclusive is all great, but I do have a problem with not fixing a major problem and forcing another group into conforming to your ideals. It's good that the Boy Scouts are doing something to help, but that doesn't fix the original problem which is how the Girl Scouts ran things.

I think I can answer this. 

Because the Boy scouts and girl scouts are two separate organizations.  It's not the girl scouts who are "forcing"  the boy scouts to change, in fact,  the Girl Scouts were opposed to it.  the Boy Scouts are changing because girls want to do the adventurous stuff too.  Sometimes the sisters of boy scouts get upset because their brothers get to do cool stuff, while the girls sell cookies and do crafts. being told you can't do something "because you're a girl" is not cutting it any more.  What a lot of people don't know is that the BSA has had "Venture Scout" troops for some time now, that have included girls.  They are not full scouts, in terms of ranks, but they do certain activities. 

Boy scouts has a specific program for advancements, and the rank   of Eagle Scout has meaning in the business world - it means a certain level of leadership and community service, and the requirements for achieving this rank are pretty intense.  Girl scouts don't have anything that is seen as comparable. Girl Scout troops, also, have a lot of leeway as to the programs.  Some girl scout troops do outdoor activities, some just make friendship bracelets and sing at the nursing home. the specific program is left up to the individual leader. Not so with boy scouts - you can't have a troop that doesn't do the outdoor stuff.   Even when troops go camping - in our area, girl scouts sleep in bunkbeds in a cabin, and order pizza.  Boy scouts will go to the same camp, but sleep in tents, go on 10 mile hikes, cook over a fire, do an orienteering course.  They learn survival skills, but also learn finance, personal responsibility, leadership, so much more.  the advancement program is more rigorous than girl scouts. 

BUT - here is a big thing.  Boy scouts of America has recently changed their policy so that they accept transgender boys.  this has been controversial, as people debate the definition of "boy" and whether it includes both m-f and f-m transgender teens.  And there are now kids identifying as non-binary.  So boy scout troops have been dealing with - If a boy is in scouts since age 6, and at 16 is identifying as female, does she get kicked out?  Or do they accept that the child needs support and a sense of normalcy?  If a girl decides at a certain age that her true self is male, and wants to join boy scouts, how do they deal with that?  Accepting both boys and girls solves this issue rather nicely, I think.  

(yeah, I'm a boy scout mom. two Eagle Scouts!) 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 22
(edited)

Thanks for this info, @backformore. Looks like the Girl Scouts will need to revamp their program if they want to retain members. I didn't realize that the Girl Scouts were offering so much less than the Boy Scouts. A segment on Sunday Morning a while back about this very issue had an interview with the head of Girl Scouts, and she implied that Girl Scouts offered the same things as Boy Scouts, plus more. 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 6
(edited)
51 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

She wouldn't because Whoopi didn't think Danson did anything wrong. Remember, she doesn't have a problem with N word.

Same. I don remember that Ed Bradley on 60 Minutes asked her about it, and she brushed it off; didn't want to really talk about it.

I think that it is because the Black community held Whoopie accountable, for that vile act, more so than Danson. Since, as a Black woman, she should have known better. I have no problem with Whoopie paying more than him.  She was the one that gave him the green light to do that.  You don't play around with things like that.  Kanye is learning that lesson, right now.. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 18

About the Girl Scouts, I was a leader about 20 yrs ago and was more the crafty kind than the camping kind (I don’t do “roughing it”).  But even then the program offered a vast range of outdoor activities. I think the problem is there aren’t enough adult female leaders who want to do the outdoorsy stuff. There are programs for HS girls similar (but maybe not as prestigious as) Eagle Scout, but again there are no leaders to oversee this.  It would break my heart if GSs fades away due to lack of interest. There is a place for both organizations. 

• Love 8

When I was in the girl scouts 50 or 60 years ago we actually built camp fires and earned badges for learning how to do things in the woods, cook on a campfire, canoe, life saving, we were taught how to swim if we didn't know how, we learned first aid, all kinds of stuff. I also went to girl scout camp every summer and brother we ROUGHED it in tents! Bugs galore.   But yeah, we had to sell those good ole cookies as well. That's a shame that they don't teach you how to really be a SCOUT. That training has always served me well. 

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

When I was in the girl scouts 50 or 60 years ago we actually built camp fires and earned badges for learning how to do things in the woods, cook on a campfire, canoe, life saving, we were taught how to swim if we didn't know how, we learned first aid, all kinds of stuff. I also went to girl scout camp every summer and brother we ROUGHED it in tents! Bugs galore.   But yeah, we had to sell those good ole cookies as well. That's a shame that they don't teach you how to really be a SCOUT. That training has always served me well. 

That's great that you got that experience. The girl scouts I know have been frustrated with not having those things available. 

• Love 1

the problem isn't that the girl scouts don't have those things available, the problem is that it isn't mandated that each troop has to do those things.  From what I'm hearing, each troop seems to dictate what they want to do vs. in the boy scouts.. there is a protocol each troop must follow.

If the problem is that the female leaders don't want to rough it, then maybe they shouldn't be troop leaders.  I know a lot of girls that love to rough it, are athletic, etc.  Perhaps the troop leader can be a female that doesn't have a child in the troop itself, but loves to do the outside stuff.

• Love 8

Okay. Gotta chime in. I was a Girl Scout for ten years. In my mind, it is far superior as an organization. Unlike the Boy Scouts, the organization has never had a discrimination policy - by race, by stated gender, or by sexual orientation. They value diversity. I recently went to a Girl Scout camp that I attended as a kid and talked to some of the directors. They said that there was great societal pressure in the 1940s, when the camp opened, to have separate weeks for black and white Girl Scouts so they didn't "mix." The Girl Scouts said, hell, no. Growing up in my segregated white part of Chicago, I literally only saw black people at Wrigley Field and at Girl Scout camp. That was really important to me, rooming with girls of different races and becoming friends with them, and sometimes continuing to be pen pals.

As for activities, it's up to each troop to decide what to do. If you're only doing crafts, join another (better) troop. I went to camp for eight years, and you could choose how rustic an experience you wanted. One summer I chose wilderness camping, and that was enough for me. I will happily live out the rest of my life without having to dig a hole to use as a latrine, but at least I had that experience.

When you get to be a senior scout, you "choose a major." In other words, you decide what area you want to concentrate on. I was a Mariner Girl Scout, so we did a lot of cleaning canoes, learning to save lives, and going out into Long Island Sound a few times a year and crewing on boats. It was fun.

Girl Scouts choose what badges to pursue. When I was a kid, it was a lot of home-oriented stuff, but now there's a lot of STEM training. I wish I could be a Girl Scout now!

Sorry for the long post, but Scouting was a wonderful time in my life. I am not exaggerating when I say the experience really helped form who I am today. Boy Scouting has a long way to go to reach the non-discriminatory practices that Girl Scouting has always had. I would love to see The View talk to one of the many strong women in the world who advocates for GSUSA. Equal time!

• Love 20

WOW, I totally forgot what was involved when I was  Senior Scout, you are so right Miss Chicago! Those were good times. We really did learn stuff, glad you had the OLD TIME experience as well! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

If the problem is that the female leaders don't want to rough it, then maybe they shouldn't be troop leaders.  I know a lot of girls that love to rough it, are athletic, etc.  Perhaps the troop leader can be a female that doesn't have a child in the troop itself, but loves to do the outside stuff.

Well, as a 5 year leader who doesn't camp I sort of resent the idea that I shouldn't have been a leader. We did plenty of field trips and community service projects and cultural activities, and I think the girls got a lot out of it. I was the only mom who wanted to take over the troop of 20 girls.  The only reason the troop disbanded was because I couldn't find another mom to help out and I couldn't do it all on my own.

• Love 11
(edited)
4 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

the problem isn't that the girl scouts don't have those things available, the problem is that it isn't mandated that each troop has to do those things.  From what I'm hearing, each troop seems to dictate what they want to do vs. in the boy scouts.. there is a protocol each troop must follow.

The troop leader is whoever steps up to volunteer.  And usually it's a parent, because who else is going to?  

I hope nobody is taking my comments as denigrating girl scouts, that is not my intention. Boy scouts and girl scouts are two different organizations. When a girl doesn't find a good fit with a girl scout troop, I think it's great that there's another option.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Well, as a 5 year leader who doesn't camp I sort of resent the idea that I shouldn't have been a leader. We did plenty of field trips and community service projects and cultural activities, and I think the girls got a lot out of it. I was the only mom who wanted to take over the troop of 20 girls.  The only reason the troop disbanded was because I couldn't find another mom to help out and I couldn't do it all on my own.

Good for you.  I'm sure the girls learned a lot and had fun. We had a similar experience with one sons cub scout den.the leader left town, and the choice was either my husband and and I take it on, or the den got disbanded.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, backformore said:

and the choice was either my husband and and I take it on, or the den got disbanded.

I was a Cub Scout den mother for two years for my older son's group for the same reason--mid-70s.  By then it was my younger son's turn to be a Cub Scout and he decided against it.  He had observed every meeting and done every craft, project, song, recycling effort, etc. and there was nothing left to live for.  I was/am a nonbeliever (as far as God goes) and someone told me I should not have been "allowed" to be a den mother.  Cash me outsigh how bow tha?   

• Love 8
(edited)

I don’t understand the love for Priyanka’s acting. I find her acting mediocre at best, wooden at worst. Even her Bollywood dancing? Which isn’t choreographed by her, ain’t that great. Just check out dancing by Madhuri Dixit. Madhuri is EONS superior and natural. Priyanka’s acting in Bollywood is very flat.

And I don’t expect anyone who isn’t Indian, to understand how WRONG it was for her to be wearing a Mangulsutra on her wrist! It’s very sacred and in our culture, only women who are married wear them and as a necklace. Priyanka should have known what would happen when she wore that. I took mine off after my annulment. Bindis are different-red ones and having red vermilion spread along one’s hair part, NOT forehead, as Priyanka stumbled in her attempt to explain, are a mark that a woman is married. Once widowed, no more bindis and she removes the Mangalsutra. Bindis also are an indication that the woman/girl is Hindu. So fashionable colors are okay. I wore a small black one (Covergirl black brow liner!) up until junior high. I stopped  because I didn’t want to deal with girls, yes only GIRLS, calling me or referring to me as “Dot.”

But what she said about Apu resonated with me down the line. All Indians were bothered, but no one listened or cared, because there was no representation for us. We were all depicted as speaking in that rube accent. Apu’s accent is that of saying all Italians speak with a thick Italian accent, Russians same and rednecks. 

And that’s the end of today’s history lesson on culture of India.?

And I don’t care that she didn’t have a meltdown this week, but I only have to look at her face to know her smile/laugh is so forced it doesn’t look natural.

And Sam Bee did a much better job in calling Sanders a fucking liar by calling her a fucking liar. There was no spin. That liar actually said “The President told me” that he didn’t know anything about Cohen paying Stormy, etc. Every.Single.Time she has said she knew it to be false because she was there or he told her. And now with Nesferatu opening his pie hole, she’s all “what I knew/understood at the time” after journalists put her feet to the fire. I’m with Joy.

As for Friar’s roasts? I much prefer the ones Dean Martin hosted. Zingers, but with class. I’m not a fan of the raunchy.

And Whoopi’s right-only comedians should be roasted there.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 20

“Just to show I'm not biased or anything, here are a couple of dance sequences from two different movies with Madhuri:”

@GHSCORPIOSRULE, you are right. The second one was an epic musical video and Madhuri is an exquisite dancer.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don’t understand the love for Priyanka’s acting. I find her acting mediocre at best, wooden at worst. Even her Bollywood dancing? Which isn’t choreographed by her, ain’t that great. Just check out dancing by Madhuri Dixit. Madhuri is EONS superior and natural. Priyanka’s acting in Bollywood is very flat.

And I don’t expect anyone who isn’t Indian, to understand how WRONG it was for her to be wearing a Mangulsutra on her wrist! It’s very sacred and in our culture, only women who are married wear them and as a necklace. Priyanka should have known what would happen when she wore that. I took mine off after my annulment. Bindis are different-red ones and having red vermilion spread along one’s hair part, NOT forehead, as Priyanka stumbled in her attempt to explain, are a mark that a woman is married. Once widowed, no more bindis and she removes the Mangalsutra. Bindis also are an indication that the woman/girl is Hindu. So fashionable colors are okay. I wore a small black one (Covergirl black brow liner!) up until junior high. I stopped  because I didn’t want to deal with girls, yes only GIRLS, calling me or referring to me as “Dot.”

But what she said about Apu resonated with me down the line. All Indians were bothered, but no one listened or cared, because there was no representation for us. We were all depicted as speaking in that rube accent. Apu’s accent is that of saying all Italians speak with a thick Italian accent, Russians same and rednecks. 

And that’s the end of today’s history lesson on culture of India.?

And I don’t care that she didn’t have a meltdown this week, but I only have to look at her face to know her smile/laugh is so forced it doesn’t look natural.

And Sam Bee did a much better job in calling Sanders a fucking liar by calling her a fucking liar. There was no spin. That liar actually said “The President told me” that he didn’t know anything about Cohen paying Stormy, etc. Every.Single.Time she has said she knew it to be false because she was there or he told her. And now with Nesferatu opening his pie hole, she’s all “what I knew/understood at the time” after journalists put her feet to the fire. I’m with Joy.

As for Friar’s roasts? I much prefer the ones Dean Martin hosted. Zingers, but with class. I’m not a fan of the raunchy.

And Whoopi’s right-only comedians should be roasted there.

Interresting about the Mangulsutra. 

Is it ever ok in your eyes for someone who is not Indian to wear traditional  jewelry and/or a Sari?

I never realized that kids were bullying other kids about the “thank you, come again” but then againBiden made horrific statements about 7 eleven and few people said boo.

23 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Those were fun.  I AM a fan of the raunchy...but it must done well.  Usually the comics are doing raunchy for the sake of raunch...and not for more perfect comedy.  I'm always surprised when live audiences--even movie audiences laugh when they hear a four-letter word...when nothing was funny.  

• Love 6

I forgot how much I love Bollywood videos.  In the 90s we had a cable access channel in the Phoenix area that showed them late at night...black and white, grainy...but still the music and dancing were fabulous.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, LIMOM said:

Is it ever ok in your eyes for someone who is not Indian to wear traditional  jewelry and/or a Sari?

I don’t know about the mangalsutra, which I personally don’t think should be worn as part of dressing up, but neither I, or anyone else have a problem of wearing the saris, or any other outfits. Or any other jewelry.

2 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I forgot how much I love Bollywood videos.  In the 90s we had a cable access channel in the Phoenix area that showed them late at night...black and white, grainy...but still the music and dancing were fabulous.  

YouTube is your friend! Some now even have English subtitles to the songs!

• Love 4
On 05/05/2018 at 3:25 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I do acknowledge that Priyanka is beautiful and has GORGEOUS hair.

I really wish she had left her face alone.  I find the work very distracting & she certainly didn't need the lip fillers or nose job.  What on earth makes a beauty queen do this?

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

I really wish she had left her face alone.  I find the work very distracting & she certainly didn't need the lip fillers or nose job.  What on earth makes a beauty queen do this?

THAT'S what I couldn't put my finger on!!  She looked different, but not in a good way.  (I didn't know she had work done.)

• Love 2
On 5/4/2018 at 12:54 PM, CheezyXpressed said:

I don't understand the boy scouts thing. If they are including girls into their group, then why is there a girl scout thing too? I kind of agree that it's okay to separate them for this, but if the issue is that the boys are doing cool stuff and the girls are not, then why not change the way the girls scouts is operated? Now you have the Scouts BSA, which include boys and girls and the Girl Scouts, which is just girls. That seems kind of stupid.

The difference is that BSA started out as a para-military organization which insisted that the belief in God was paramount and GSA started out as a place for all girls to grow and learn.  Both organizations were forms of the British version.

I don't know about other states but in Michigan is was declared that BSA could no longer meet at public schools for they were not inclusive and insisted on preaching Christianity.  GSA can still operate in the public schools.

On 5/5/2018 at 1:51 AM, Former Nun said:

I was a Cub Scout den mother for two years for my older son's group for the same reason--mid-70s.  By then it was my younger son's turn to be a Cub Scout and he decided against it.  He had observed every meeting and done every craft, project, song, recycling effort, etc. and there was nothing left to live for.  I was/am a nonbeliever (as far as God goes) and someone told me I should not have been "allowed" to be a den mother.  Cash me outsigh how bow tha?   

My mom was a den leader for my brother's den and refused to say God at all.  No one complained because no one else wanted to be a den mother.  This was in the 60s.

On 5/4/2018 at 6:01 PM, Haleth said:

I agree with you.  You don't have to camp but I quit girls scouts because my leader was only interested in the home arts.  In Brownies we went on bike rides, picnics, charity work at food pantries etc.  It was fun.  Girl scouts was supposed to be the one chance to see Bozo the Clown but our leader said no.  I was pissed.  She would only do sewing, cooking, baking, and other crap we already were doing at home.  Even my mother, who was the treasurer of the troop and very girly, thought it was a huge waste of time.  There was only 1 other troop in our school and it was full.

On 5/4/2018 at 4:33 PM, ChicagoCita said:

Okay. Gotta chime in. I was a Girl Scout for ten years. In my mind, it is far superior as an organization. Unlike the Boy Scouts, the organization has never had a discrimination policy - by race, by stated gender, or by sexual orientation. They value diversity. I recently went to a Girl Scout camp that I attended as a kid and talked to some of the directors. They said that there was great societal pressure in the 1940s, when the camp opened, to have separate weeks for black and white Girl Scouts so they didn't "mix." The Girl Scouts said, hell, no. Growing up in my segregated white part of Chicago, I literally only saw black people at Wrigley Field and at Girl Scout camp. That was really important to me, rooming with girls of different races and becoming friends with them, and sometimes continuing to be pen pals.

As for activities, it's up to each troop to decide what to do. If you're only doing crafts, join another (better) troop. I went to camp for eight years, and you could choose how rustic an experience you wanted. One summer I chose wilderness camping, and that was enough for me. I will happily live out the rest of my life without having to dig a hole to use as a latrine, but at least I had that experience.

When you get to be a senior scout, you "choose a major." In other words, you decide what area you want to concentrate on. I was a Mariner Girl Scout, so we did a lot of cleaning canoes, learning to save lives, and going out into Long Island Sound a few times a year and crewing on boats. It was fun.

Girl Scouts choose what badges to pursue. When I was a kid, it was a lot of home-oriented stuff, but now there's a lot of STEM training. I wish I could be a Girl Scout now!

Sorry for the long post, but Scouting was a wonderful time in my life. I am not exaggerating when I say the experience really helped form who I am today. Boy Scouting has a long way to go to reach the non-discriminatory practices that Girl Scouting has always had. I would love to see The View talk to one of the many strong women in the world who advocates for GSUSA. Equal time!

BSA has seen a huge decline in their ranks and I think it is just a ploy to fill quotas and get dues.

• Love 1

MM and her dis-taste for the dinner/roast - If I was going to a dinner I would definitely Google older dinners and watch it.  Usually the president is there and does a little ditty and that is usually very funny.  I didn't like when Larry Whilmore called Obama the N word.  That sank like a rock but people got over it.

MM needs to stop hiding behind the GOP, since most of them can't stand her - Google her, or stand behind the "usual" Trump voter.  She needs to take a stand for her own words and her own ideas.  She will never do that.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

BSA has seen a huge decline in their ranks and I think it is just a ploy to fill quotas and get dues.

So much changed in the late 70s when women wanted and needed to go back to school and to work.  The Little Woman was no longer at home full-time to keep the home fires burning...and do all the extra things required by husbands (the "auxiliaries" to many groups: doctors, university professors, etc.).  Something had to give.  All kinds of male-only organizations lost members and decided to open things to females (some lawsuits helped).  Often those male-only organizations lost a lot of the fun when they had to act more appropriately (at least a little) around the female members.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, jumper sage said:

don't know about other states but in Michigan is was declared that BSA could no longer meet at public schools for they were not inclusive and insisted on preaching Christianity.  GSA can still operate in the public schools.

Boy scouts includes all religions not just christians. Some troops are based out of churches, but some are not. My atheist sons were never questioned about their religion.  They were prepared, at their Eagle boards, to defend their belief system, which we decided was secular humanism, but they weren't asked.  With the inclusion of girls, and transgender and gay scouts, and gay leaders, I'd say the BSA is pretty inclusive now.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, backformore said:

Boy scouts includes all religions not just christians. Some troops are based out of churches, but some are not. My atheist sons were never questioned about their religion.  They were prepared, at their Eagle boards, to defend their belief system, which we decided was secular humanism, but they weren't asked.  With the inclusion of girls, and transgender and gay scouts, and gay leaders, I'd say the BSA is pretty inclusive now.

I am still leery about the BSA.  Their own numbers did dwindle when they pulled back on outdoor activities.  I have only met 2 eagle scouts in the last 25 years.  I work in a public entity so that's where they usually start out for help for their Eagle Scout projects.

• Love 2