Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E15: Top 10 - Disney Night

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

56 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

There is a lot for people to "hate" with Catie--she is a tough pill to swallow.  Quirky does not at all even get near it.  And the awful clothes. Guess I'm a hater?

Is Virulent Disliker a better shorthand term?  

I don't dislike any of these kids, and really like most of them, including Catie, including her clothing style. 

I do hate Cade's feather.  So I'm a hater.  

Who is "that Blake guy"?  

My feelings regarding the top 7

• Cade - Dark haired version of Casey James, which means he'll finish third.
  • Maddie - Clever Crystal Bowersox-esque type, which means she won't win.
  • Gabby - Blonde pop-country singer. She's no Carrie Underwood, but more like a caffeine deficient Kellie Pickler, which means she won't win.
  • Michael - Joshua Ledet with more personality. Like Joshua, he'll finish out of the running.
  • Catie - Joey Cook with pipes and glasses, which means she won't win.
  • Jurnee - Central casting's idea of a Beyoncé/Tinashe/FKA Twigs type singer, which means she won't win.
  • Caleb - 2018's version of Scotty McCreary, which means his name will be called as the winner on final's night.

So next week, Katy Hudson will dress up like Vanity or Apollonia next week? Expect a lot of above the neck camera shots if this is the case.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Is Virulent Disliker a better shorthand term?  

I don't dislike any of these kids, and really like most of them, including Catie, including her clothing style. 

I do hate Cade's feather.  So I'm a hater.  

Who is "that Blake guy"?  

That Blake guy is dang old country time sitting by Katy.

Who is Katie Hudson? 

48 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Who is Katie Hudson? 

Not only is "Katheryn Hudson" Katy's birth name, but Katy Hudson was the name of her debut album, a Christian rock/contemporary Christian piece, influenced by her strongly-religious parents.  When it was unsuccessful, Katy changed her name and moved to mainstream pop, instead.

2 hours ago, Nedsdag said:

My feelings regarding the top 7

• Cade - Dark haired version of Casey James, which means he'll finish third.
  • Maddie - Clever Crystal Bowersox-esque type, which means she won't win.
  • Gabby - Blonde pop-country singer. She's no Carrie Underwood, but more like a caffeine deficient Kellie Pickler, which means she won't win.
  • Michael - Joshua Ledet with more personality. Like Joshua, he'll finish out of the running.
  • Catie - Joey Cook with pipes and glasses, which means she won't win.
  • Jurnee - Central casting's idea of a Beyoncé/Tinashe/FKA Twigs type singer, which means she won't win.
  • Caleb - 2018's version of Scotty McCreary, which means his name will be called as the winner on final's night.

So next week, Katy Hudson will dress up like Vanity or Apollonia next week? Expect a lot of above the neck camera shots if this is the case.  

Apollonia!  I used to jam to Nasty Girl.  Loved that era!   Now that I think of it, how amazing would it be if a contestant sang Sheena Easton’s Sugar Walls?  I would die.  Good times.  

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, yorklee2 said:

I don't think Cade and Gabby are on the same level regarding their intentions though. For all the comments I've heard this season about Cade being arrogant I think the entire opposite. He comes across very humble, sincere and polite to me. Gabby on the other hand seems somewhat fake and calculating. Cade seemed so embarrassed by Katy's antics last night that he couldn't wait to get off the stage and shut her up. But for all her covering her face in horror when Ryan outed them I suspect Gabby was relishing the attention. There's a video on YouTube of them in which she is singing as he plays the guitar for her. It struck me very much that it's all about her and Cade seems smitten with her. I could be wrong but if she wins this thing or even comes close I predict she will forget him quickly. They may be riding off into the sunset but I doubt it will be together.

ETA: Cade may have a sizable fan base and go far but I don't see him winning. I think Maddie will take the crown.

Considering that a female has not won since Season 6 back in 2007, the odds heavily favors a guy.  I do not count Candice Glover winning, a legit girl win, since that season was manipulated to eliminate all the guys early on.

If Cade doesn't win, the odds favors Caleb.  The Southern country vote is a huge block on Idol.

• Love 8
(edited)
7 hours ago, txbowler837 said:

I can understand Idol trying to be culturally relevant, however,  Michelle could have sang the most beautiful song in the world with the greatest voice ever, but if I can't understand the words, I will not vote for her.  If that makes me petty or not PC, I am guilty.   I think some of America would agree with me.  I have no issue with her wanting to sing Spanish.  Audition for Telemondo

And yet...."Despacito":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despacito#Performance_and_accolades

(P.S. "...some of America would agree with" any of us, at any given moment, on any given topic!)

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6
(edited)
19 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I think some of America would agree with me. 

The software misattributes the quote, but I do agree with you, txbowler.  That song was too new and had too much Spanish for me.  I felt no connection.  Was the last line "Remember me" in English?  She sounded beautiful on that and knowing what she was saying mattered.  So if the whole song connected like that, I think she might've done better.  

I liked the Despacito performance earlier in the season.  I don't think that song really needs the lyrical connection for the audience like this week did.  It's a fun, dancey tune.  Or maybe it was just that Brandon Diaz and Luis Fonzi had better stage presence than Michelle.  

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, lampwick said:

Apollonia!  I used to jam to Nasty Girl.  Loved that era!   Now that I think of it, how amazing would it be if a contestant sang Sheena Easton’s Sugar Walls?  I would die.  Good times.  

Vanity 6 sang Nasty Girl. Apollonia 6 sang Sex Shooter. Understandable mistake.

Since Prince's songs will be featured next week, would anyone be surprised if Maddie sang "Manic Monday" by the Bangles, which is technically a Prince song since he wrote it?

• Love 4

There's nobody in the top 7 that I dislike, so I'll be okay with any of them winning. I actually like Catie's singing the best of all them, especially when she sings her own songs. Caleb and Cade are my next favorite singers, but it would be nice to have another female winner.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

I was responding with my opinion on things you said in your posts. Same as you are doing with me. You think he's confident/arrogant (as you stated above) and I think he's confident yes, arrogant no. That's why I said your opinion may differ. I mean that is what the board is about..to discuss and give our opinions. Even if it differs from someone else. Happens all the time.

I agree with many of your points in the post above. I think Cade can be successful if surrounded by people who believe in him and can blend some original current tunes in with the classics. I can see your point also that he could potentially get a spot as musician for a top artist, if not a solo career. I think his guitar skills are solid. And I too think Maddie will be the winner. Not only think but hope she's the winner.

Amen to the bolded part.  I wish others would remember that.

11 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

It isn't a matter of being "uncomfortable" with the latest AI format; it's a matter of DISLIKING it. There is a great deal of difference between the two attitudes.

I am aware of that, thanks.

At the risk of raising more ire, I have to say that after watching Dancing With the Stars last night, at least American Idol remembered the West Coast exists and tried to include them in the voting.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Nessie said:
12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

It isn't a matter of being "uncomfortable" with the latest AI format; it's a matter of DISLIKING it. There is a great deal of difference between the two attitudes.

I am aware of that, thanks.

Good.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Nedsdag said:

Since Prince's songs will be featured next week, would anyone be surprised if Maddie sang "Manic Monday" by the Bangles, which is technically a Prince song since he wrote it?

If the show allows it (and I don't see why not considering it's technically a Prince song) then I can totally see her singing that. The only drawback I see to it is some people may think it's a little repetitive since she just sang another Bangles song just a few weeks ago with, "Walk Like An Egyptian". I'm sure whatever she picks she'll do a great job.

Edited by yorklee2
(edited)

Not only is "Katheryn Hudson" Katy's birth name, but Katy Hudson was the name of her debut album, a Christian rock/contemporary Christian piece, influenced by her strongly-religious parents.  When it was unsuccessful, Katy changed her name and moved to mainstream pop, instead.

...and onto Russell Brand.  Holy frickin' cow.  I knew her Father was a pastor, but didn't know she is/was religious herself.

Caleb is such a snore.  You all are talking like it's a done deal that Scotty II has to win?  I am a country music disliker, so I would not know.  Anyway we can get him to sing 'Gett Off" next week? (23 positions in a one night stand...)

Edited by WhineandCheez

Dennis told TMZ he was screwed by the performance order.  He wasn't even voted through to the top 10 in the first place so it seems a little presumptuous to me.  

17 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Ha Ha! Do you mean Luke? Blake is on The Voice.

I think so.  I forgot his name because he just fades into the background for me.

Screw it, dump him and bring on Hank III.  He’ll bring Jessco to do some ‘dayncin’, and talk about how he burnt up a cell of his brain huffing areoplane glue out a samrich bag.  Sue Bob will show Katy how to really sexually harass a man and how to make beaucoup dollars as a stripper in Appalachia.  

If that ain’t country I’ll kiss your ass. 

Dennis told TMZ he was screwed by the performance order. 

I am absolutely convinced he believes this.

If we had the vote totals for this week vs. last week, he might even be right--and it's another reason they didn't spend more time with the bottom 3 once the eliminations were announced.

At the risk of raising more ire, I have to say that after watching Dancing With the Stars last night, at least American Idol remembered the West Coast exists and tried to include them in the voting.

I'm good with that part (and I'd let the West Coast decide if they preferred live vs. taped delay; I'm curious on the ratings there.)  I'm also glad Idol is trying new things, but part of trying new things is knowing when to stop trying and realize it didn't work.  For me, voting during the show didn't seem like a fair process, but the outcome matched last week's as closely as it could have, so this was the best outcome AI could have had.  When I disliked the voting process more than any of the performances, they did a good job picking singers for me to choose from. 

• Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, txbowler837 said:

Yet when X-Factor US tried showing the vote totals, someone asked Nygel (exec producer) of the old show why they didn't do that?  He replied because it would kill the show and give Carrie by example.  He said she won every week by a huge margin and no one else had a chance. 

I remember the producers saying after the fact that Scotty was leading his competition by a large margin every week in his season.

• Love 2
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, Vanessa1214 said:

Yes, I noticed that too, and it bugged me. These are classic songs that everyone knows the words to. You can't mess them up without it being really obvious and distracting. I noticed at least Cade and Dennis do it; if there were others, I've forgotten by now. I think "Kiss the Girl" could be cool with that arrangement, if they'd used a better singer!

I'd never know if they messed up the words to most of these songs, but I hate Disney songs.

21 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I remember the producers saying after the fact that Scotty was leading his competition by a large margin every week in his season.

I believe that.  And I think Caleb probably is doing so this season and will win, unless he really shits the bed.

I think Dennis could've performed first, fourth AND last and still not gotten voted through.  He's fine, he's just dull.  I can't recall one song he's sung.  

1 minute ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I believe that.  And I think Caleb probably is doing so this season and will win, unless he really shits the bed.

I think Dennis could've performed first, fourth AND last and still not gotten voted through.  He's fine, he's just dull.  I can't recall one song he's sung.  

This week was the first performance of his that I actually liked enough to pay much attention to.  His previous ones didn't impress me much.

I think Caleb definitely is a lock for Top 3.  Country has proven popular with the fans who vote, and he's good at it.

17 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

And yet...."Despacito":

And now I have Despacito stuck in my head.  I spent the day after that performance singing along with words that rhymed with Despacito.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd never know if they messed up the words to most of these songs, but I hate Disney songs.

I liked Cade's arrangement on, 'Kiss The Girl" but I wasn't familiar enough with the song so it was hard for me to understand what he was saying. Granted his voice isn't the best but after I watched the original on YouTube I completely understood everything he was singing. I think any song, even with the best voice, sounds better if you know and are familiar with it.

6 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Totally agree. He left me with the same impression. Nice voice but his performances didn't stick with me. Michael's performances, on the other hand, made an impression. Nice phrasing, great buildup from low to high register, and lots of energy. It didn't help Dennis that he went last but like you I don't think it would have mattered what order he sung in ultimately. The writing was on the wall.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1

Am I the only person bothered by Michael's poor enunciation while singing?  He's a cute guy with what appears to be a sweet personality.  He sings well, but usually a better finish than start.  The articulation though...if I didn't know the songs I would have trouble making out much of the words.  

Jurnee should be the whole package.  Great voice and pretty.  Something is so lacking though and it's certainly not her ability to sing well.  I think I've finally decided it's because her face doesn't show seem to show any emotion. It's like watching someone sing while wearing a mask.  It's a shame because I think she has one of the best voices this season and out of the remaining contestants probably has the best singing voice.   

I really liked Ada early on, but she started losing me during the most recent performances.  I wish there were more variety in the songs that were chosen.  Big and belting is great, but not all the time.  Can't say the boot came as a surprise.  

I don't like country music, but I have to admit that Caleb performs it well.   I wouldn't be surprised by him winning in the end, nor would I think it unjustified.  Gabby on the other hand...nope.   

Really disliking  this new voting system!

• Love 2

In another note, Colin Kaepernick was having  a fun time playing the string bass tonight on "The Bare Necessities".

OMG I thought it was just me! The very first time I saw him  I was thinking "Hmmm, why do I know that guy from somewhere?" 

Jurnee (sp) just has dead eyes, bless her heart. Back on TWOP, people were commenting about Kathryn McPhee having the same thing. She can sing just fine but the lights are on, but nobody's home. 

I thought Catie did a tremendous job - and I did tear up a teensy bit when she sang. She has a sense of freshness and honesty about her. 

I did like Cade's version a LOT. Perhaps because it was different. If he did win, I don't see him having much of a post-Idol career in terms of being on the radio, etc. The publicity would do him better if he didn't win. 

I won't miss Ada. Great voice, but it got old after a while, with the big notes and the big hair. Again, see my comment about Cade above. Lather, rinse, repeat. Likewise with Michelle. She annoyed me much earlier in the season and even though she sang better, she's a Selena wannabee. 

Proserpina, I now have the words for Despacito in my head - actually all I have is "DEEESS - PAAA- CITO" and a bunch of made up words that rhyme like mojito and enchirito and burrito and Dios mio. 

• Love 7

It seemed like the bit that Katy Perry was doing at the end, with the apple-chomping, revolved around the apple being spiked with something that would help her deal with the stress of the voting results.   But in the story of Snow White, as we all know, the apple wasn't spiked with something fun and stress-relieving.  It was a Poisoned Apple, intended to kill Snow White.  So that whole segment was weird.

On a side note about Katy... while she is definitely exaggerating the drooling over Cade and playing it up a lot, I would not be shocked if she has developed a soft spot for him because he reminds her of John Mayer just a tiny bit -- in vibe, not in looks, specifically.  I've always felt that John Mayer was Katy's one true love (so far -- she is still young enough to find another true love).  Not Russell Brand.  Not Orlando Bloom.  I think that she and John Mayer had a really strong connection and it was probably very painful for both of them to call it quits once and for all.    John even admitted to watching some of Katy's marathon 4-day live stream session last year, and he said he knows it's weird, tuning in to watch an ex-girlfriend sleeping.    I think they just can't quit each other, even when they are apart.

So, although John Mayer's style is a bit different than Cade's style, they both have that kind of talented, brooding-singer-guitarist thing going on, and I think Katy likes that vibe.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a Disney fanatic -- movies, theme parks, you name it.   I love it all.    Some of their best  songs of all time came from the movies of the late '80s - mid-'90s (specifically, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King).  Those songs were memorable, catchy, melodic, bouncy and often upbeat.  

That said, the majority of the performances on this installment of American Idol fell flat for me.  I think Maddie is great in almost all of her performances.  She has "it" and I hope she goes on to do great things, even if she doesn't win.   I really don't mind Cade, but I think he was actually much better in the earlier stages of this competition, and has lost some steam as the show has progressed.  The song he did -- "Kiss the Girl" from The Little Mermaid -- is a song that I love in its original format because it is so happy and fun.   I appreciated Cade's attempt at a different arrangement and delivery, but it was very spotty.  In some parts he sounded really good, and then in other parts his voice seemed to get shaky and weak.

Also in the interest of full disclosure, I am a big Prince fan.  He has so many great songs.    "Little Red Corvette" is one of the best songs ever.    "Kiss" is infectious and instantly makes me want to start dancing when I hear the opening notes.    "I Wanna Be Your Lover" is just too good.    Part of me is really excited that we're getting a Prince week in a couple of days, and part of me is dreading it.  Most of Prince's songs (minus "Manic Monday", "Raspberry Beret" and a few others) exude sensuality, sexuality, emotion and/or attitude and soul, as well as a bit of mystery.

There is not one contestant in this current line-up on Idol who will do justice to Prince and his music.  I don't know which songs they will be singing, but they will rip the funk and sexiness right out of them.   Maddie might do a version of something that is good for her and for her style, but it won't be good for fans of Prince's music.  Cade may do a sullen, moody version of something, or a song that is heavy on guitars, and it will probably be sufficient for him in the competition, but it won't be satisfactory as a Prince cover version.

Where is David Cook when you need him?  He was great with cover versions.

• Love 2
On 4/30/2018 at 1:36 PM, sempervivum said:

The witch ('strange lady in a hat met backstage') was saying that eating the apple, ie death by poison, would relieve Katy of having to deal with the bad feeling of 3 good people being rejected. Not a very clear comment, and I'm not surprised Dennis didn't really understand it.

I took this as if she was hinting that Dennis would not be chosen and she felt bad about it. Not that I'd justify it in any circumstances - it was just self-serving and rude to Dennis.

6 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

But in the story of Snow White, as we all know, the apple wasn't spiked with something fun and stress-relieving.  It was a Poisoned Apple, intended to kill Snow White.  So that whole segment was weird.

This says the poisoned apple puts Snow White into ‘sleeping death’, broken only by love’s kiss.  http://evil.wikia.com/wiki/Poison_Apple

Though in the original she revived when the bite of apple dislodges from her throat.   

7 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

"Little Red Corvette" is one of the best songs ever. 

Yas! You know how there are those lists of 'best rock songs' and 'Satisfaction' is almost always #1? Nuh uh. I always think it should be 'Little Red Corvette'.

There is not one contestant in this current line-up on Idol who will do justice to Prince and his music.  I don't know which songs they will be singing, but they will rip the funk and sexiness right out of them. 

Look at the spoilers topic in this forum for a list of the songs they're doing.  And I agree, not a shred of edge in this group.

Where is David Cook when you need him?  He was great with cover versions.

Not just 'versatile vocally', as he said, but could also bring the attitude to change things up.

• Love 2
On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

OMG I thought it was just me! The very first time I saw him  I was thinking "Hmmm, why do I know that guy from somewhere?" 

Jurnee (sp) just has dead eyes, bless her heart. Back on TWOP, people were commenting about Kathryn McPhee having the same thing. She can sing just fine but the lights are on, but nobody's home. 

I thought Catie did a tremendous job - and I did tear up a teensy bit when she sang. She has a sense of freshness and honesty about her. 

I did like Cade's version a LOT. Perhaps because it was different. If he did win, I don't see him having much of a post-Idol career in terms of being on the radio, etc. The publicity would do him better if he didn't win. 

I won't miss Ada. Great voice, but it got old after a while, with the big notes and the big hair. Again, see my comment about Cade above. Lather, rinse, repeat. Likewise with Michelle. She annoyed me much earlier in the season and even though she sang better, she's a Selena wannabee. 

Proserpina, I now have the words for Despacito in my head - actually all I have is "DEEESS - PAAA- CITO" and a bunch of made up words that rhyme like mojito and enchirito and burrito and Dios mio. 

I hadn't thought of mojito - now I have a new word to ad to my version. ;-)

On 5/2/2018 at 8:17 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

In another note, Colin Kaepernick was having  a fun time playing the string bass

On 5/2/2018 at 8:17 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

OMG I thought it was just me!

Me, too!

• Love 1

Liked:

Maddie - love her tone and style. I've been a fan since her audition. I want her to win.

Michael

Catie

Dennis

Indifferent:

Cade

Caleb

No Thanks:

Gabby

Ada

Michelle

Jurnee - sorry, but she leaves me cold.  Her voice is pretty, but she seems so lifeless.

The Judges

Speaking of The Judges, they are just awful.  No critiquing at all.  I mean, was it me, or was Gabby completely out of tune for quite a bit of her song, especially the first note or two?  And no one said a thing about it?

Cade could get up there, make animal noises for two minutes and the critique would go like this:

Lionel: Cade...wow! You just keep feeling the music and being yourself and bringing us new things. Great.  Just great.

Katy:  Oh my god, I think I just got pregnant listening to that. Can I have one of your used q-tips?

Luke: Man. Cade, man...that was great man. Man, you keep getting better.  Man. Man...you can play that guitar, man. Thank you, man.

Also, Katy...obsessive stalker turned-on desperation is not a good look on a grown woman.

• Love 4

I went back and rewatched three performances...Maddie, Michael and Catie.  So, I guess those were the three that stood out for me.  Not a big Catie fan in the past but, “Once Upon a Dream” was gorgeous.  She’s tiresome but she has an amazing voice.  My favorite is still Maddie and I hope she wins.  

Personally, I thought Cade was awful.  

The judges are worthless.  Katy makes me cringe.

Lots of fast-forward happening at my house.

• Love 1

Not sure where to put this, but here is the robot lady narrating a video on Michael.  I found it interesting that the singing competition he won was on a network owned by Disney, just like ABC.  Hmmmm.

On 5/1/2018 at 9:32 PM, Nedsdag said:

Or Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor?  He wrote that as well.  I think it may be a toss up between the two.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know that this is Prince's song week, but I think Michael J. Woodward would do great singing Stevie Wonder's " I Was Made To Love Her". Michael has the voice to sing that song. 

By the way, I'm not a Michael fan.

Edited by rr2911
mistake
  • Love 1