Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E15: Top 10 - Disney Night

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Sorry.....the Disney songs didn't keep my interest.  I'm so tired of listening to the judges tell them that they are all so wonderful.  Bring back Simon!

No surprise that Cade made it, glad to see Catie, well actually thought all of the choices tonight were spot on.  They should have just left it to the viewers to vote for both shows.  

Hurray!!!! Ada is finally gone.  Found it interesting that when he and his significant other were at Disney, Ada was nowhere to be found.  That "gimmick" just didn't work.

Edited by zoemom
  • Love 14

Did the judges give anyone an actual critique?

I loved the Disney songs, but skipped most of the fluff.

Catie continues to annoy and I thought her song was a weak choice for her voice.

So glad to be done with Ada. Michelle should have never made the top 10, I think. I would have liked to see Dennis make it farther. Journee didn’t do well tonight I thought.

Caleb, Maddie, and Gabby are my three favorites.

7 minutes ago, zoemom said:

Hurray Ada is finally gone.  

I guess the lion mane wig didn't help with the Lion King song.

On another note, Colin Kaepernick was having  a fun time playing the string bass tonight on "The Bare Necessities".

I was a little worried about Michael on his song until he got cranked up on the second half.

Edited by Babalooie
typo
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, deaja said:

It was Disney on steroids! To these pathetic judges, everyone is a prince or princess and a winner. Thank goodness the vote was all America and yay we got it right ?

• Love 8

Catie is a really good vocalist, but her "I'm so clumsy and stumbly, tee hee!" act has gotten tiresome. I'd like her a lot if she could just stop being annoying. Even Idina seemed to be like, "Uhhh..."

I guess Disney Crossover Branded Marketing Night was to be expected. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, SnarkAttack said:

I was worried that Maddie went first, but then realized that voters had two hours to vote for her versus ten minutes for Dennis.  I love Maddie, but how is that fair?  Anyone know how that can be fair?

I voted before they ever sang on my App, then changed a few votes right before voting shut down.  Added a few more fore Michael.  But Cade, Gabby and Dennis were the ones I wanted in top three and gave them all 10 votes

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SnarkAttack said:

Anyone know how that can be fair?

They were voting for any of them  from the beginning of the show, regardless of whether they had sung yet.  Some of my FB friends were doing it and it was showing up from the Idol page.

• Love 2

Catie's version of "Once Upon a Dream" was lovely. If they ever do a live action film of 'Sleeping Beauty', I feel like that version would fit into the movie quite nicely.

Caleb's version of "You've Got a Friend in Me" sounded like something I could easily hear on the radio, and I also liked Gabby and Maddie tonight, too. I think these four were probably the strongest vocally tonight. 

As for the top seven, I'm overall okay with it, though I don't mind Ada myself and am a bit sad to see her go. Wishing all who left tonight well with whatever they go on to do next. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

Amen to that.   I wanted Dennis to go through, but whatever.

So sad to see Dennis voted out. It seems as if the judges' picks from last week were voted out tonight. I guess they just did not click with viewers. Tired of the constant tongue bath by the judges. Would be nice to hear some critique.

6 minutes ago, chloerose2 said:

Who got the last spot?  My dvr cut off.

Jurnee.

• Love 7

I have watched about half the show while waiting to be able to post....why  watch the whole thing? It is really no longer about singing, it is about who is the most popular! Sure go ahead and vote before you even hear your favorite person sing...it doesn't matter if they aren't good or have an off night, just start voting at the beginning of the show! I really DO NOT like this option and it doesn't give anyone much of a chance to hear someone sing and decide, "hey, they are pretty good...Maybe I should throw them some votes!" Yes, Ryan says you can change your vote during the show but he is also reporting how many votes there already are so people are just voting for there favorites.

As an aside, even tho' Katy doesn't do that much for me, she was a great Snow White during her first critique...sounded just like a Disney Princess, but you can't tell me that was off her head...she was reading her little card as were the other two.

I'll be back after I finish the show but I don't think my opinion of this way of voting will change!

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, zoemom said:

Sorry.....the Disney songs didn't keep my interest.  I'm so tired of listening to the judges tell them that they are all so wonderful.  Bring back Simon!

No surprise that Cade made it, glad to see Catie......

Hurray Ada is finally gone.  

I came here to say exactly this. I have never missed Simon this much. 

Good god.  Enough with the phoney gushing over Cade.  You are grown women.  Stop it.  

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Babalooie said:

They were voting for any of them  from the beginning of the show, regardless of whether they had sung yet.  Some of my FB friends were doing it and it was showing up from the Idol page.

Doh!  Didn't think of that, thanks.  

• Love 2

LOLZ, the six voted through last week by 'Murica are the six this week too. You just can't deny country, rock, and two "weirdo's" the show has enjoyed shoving down our throats since the jump. And Maddie, somewhat inexplicably has been able to build up a fan base somewhat organically.

Good riddance to Ada, breathed a sigh of relief for Jurnee, glad Michelle went out on a reasonable (for her) vocal.

Sad for Dennis, possibly one of the first times in Idol history you really didn't want the pimp spot. His fans (and anyone who wanted to hear his performance before deciding to vote for him) had barely 10 minutes to vote after he sang. As a Judges WC, he desperately needed to a good performance to move the needle....and the end of the show was so rushed, it definitely didn't help his cause. FWIW.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 16

It went pretty much as expected, sadly.  Cade was just awful.  Our dog growling sounds better.  So of course he'll probably win this thing.

I don't think the Disney songs did anyone much of a favor tonight, but it was interesting to see them out of their usual comfort zone.

I'm laying a lot of blame on the judges for not giving honest, helpful critiques.  Not everyone was - or is ever - as great as they're being told they are, so therefore they'll just keep on doing whatever they're doing.  Why not?  The real music biz is going to be quite an eye-opener for them going forward; it's brutal.

Katie Perry was acting even more drunk/high than usual.  I literally had to look away from the TV more than once. 

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Wings said:

I don't think Simon would want to come back just to watch the wrong ones go far on repeat. He couldn't deal with Sanjaya and Tim Urban lasting so long back in the day.

Whatever the end result of this season is (*cough*Caleb*cough*), at least it was worth watching the top 24 onwards to "discover" Maddie. Hopefully she'll put out something post-show.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, deaja said:

I loved the Disney songs, but skipped most of the fluff.

ITA @deaja.  The "judges" and I use that term loosely, say the same thing every week.....can almost predict what Lionel is going to say.  

Katie dressed as Snow White, yeah, OK.  I wonder if she'll dress up as Prince next week?  

I'm glad that I DVR the show!  Between all of the commercials, the fluff background/Disney clips and WTH was that acapella group all about??? (why?).  I just want to see the contestants perform.  Funny, when I skip through all of the other stuff, AI is only about 40 minutes long. 

• Love 9

And have we seriously gone from a season that started with fart jokes and Whoopie cushions by the judges to the judges trying to drink out of a shoe? Can we please get some grownups? Is the show being produced by middle schoolers?

Katy Perry might be incredibly annoying, over-the-top, and one of the weakest singers in the industry right now, but she sure does look the part of a Disney princess. And she never should have gotten rid of the black hair.

Maddie: Bare Necessities (The Jungle Book)
Cute as always. I know the format of the show has changed so it’s not a handicap anymore, but it bums me out that Maddie is pretty much always slotted at the front of the episode.

Jurnee: How Far I’ll Go (Moana)
Her vocals are just out of this world. It was nice to see her connect emotionally to a song and still enjoy herself. I feel like she finally loosened up and relaxed a little this week and that made a world of difference for her.

Cade: Kiss the Girl (The Little Mermaid)
Great arrangement. If someone else were singing I would have loved this.

Ada: Circle of Life (The Lion King)
I hated the way the song was cut; it rushed into the chorus too quickly. You gotta let people settle in before you start the belts and runs! Ada was less screechy than she has been though, so that’s a win. Also I loved that golden lipstick.

Michelle: Remember Me (Coco)
I’m in the minority on this sub, but I like her. She has a sparkle that makes me enjoy watching her. I think tonight was far and away the best vocals she’s served throughout her Idol run so I'm glad she ended on a high note.

Gabby: Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas)
She needs to drop that damn fake twang. Like I can’t even form an opinion on her singing because I’m always too distracted by the fake accent.

Michael: Beauty and the Beast (Beauty and the Beast)
When they mentioned he was hoarse in the intro vid, I was worried. When he was shaky for that first verse, I was honestly scared for him. Then HE! CAME! THROUGH! I love Michael so much.

Caleb: You’ve Got a Friend in Me (Toy Story)
I chortled at Caleb dedicating this song to his dog when his human friend had taken time off from college to see him. He’s got a great tone. Very round and rich and booming like classic country.

Catie: Once Upon a Dream (Sleeping Beauty)
Not gonna lie, I was a little concerned she was gonna go for the Lana Del Rey version, which would have been godawful. Just the fact she steered clear of that had me feeling positive about her. She’s a great singer. She’s just a lot to take in as a person

Dennis: Can You Feel the Love Tonight (The Lion King)
He earned that closing spot. Or what a closing spot used to mean. 

The results were entirely unsurprising. The six who got through on America’s vote last time got through again this time, and Jurnee will probably get cut next week.

• Love 9
Just now, zoemom said:

I'm glad that I DVR the show!  Between all of the commercials, the fluff background/Disney clips and WTH was that acapella group all about??? (why?).  I just want to see the contestants perform.  Funny, when I skip through all of the other stuff, AI is only about 40 minutes long. 

I started the show at 9:05 and was caught up in time to watch the results live.

9 minutes ago, incandescent said:

Katy Perry might be incredibly annoying, over-the-top, and one of the weakest singers in the industry right now, but she sure does look the part of a Disney princess. And she never should have gotten rid of the black hair.

Yeah, the Snow White look really worked for her. She looked so much like the character, it was kinda spooky.

Michelle: Remember Me (Coco)
I’m in the minority on this sub, but I like her. She has a sparkle that makes me enjoy watching her. I think tonight was far and away the best vocals she’s served throughout her Idol run so I'm glad she ended on a high note.

I like Michelle, too, and fully agreed that this was her strongest performance. 

(And on a related note, I haven't seen 'Coco' yet, but I've heard how emotional it is. Just hearing the lyrics to the song itself tonight were enough to get me choked up, so if I'm already that affected just hearing a song from the movie, I shall make sure I have tons of Kleenex on hand if and when I do get a chance to see the movie itself.)

I also fully agree with wanting some more constructive criticism of the contestants, and toning down some of the crazy antics. I don't mind the judges having some fun and goofing around from time to time-Simon and Paula did that a bit back in the day, as did some of the other judges over the years. But yeah, lately it's been rather over the top, for sure.  

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I think Dennis deserved Catie’s spot. Her stage presence was really unappealing tonight and the song was boring. Hope she goes next week. 

I wish Dennis had gotten either Cade or Gabby's spot. I still do not know what is so great about him other than his hair and I hate that Katy makes herself such a fool over him. Otoh, Gabby CAN sing but she does nothing for me and is not my cuppa. Neither is Caleb, actually, but he just seems like a nice kid. 

• Love 6

It's unfortunate that this show has now become the Katy Perry Comedy Hour. She didn't even pretend to have anything to say to Dennis about his performance because she needed to make sure she had time to get in her bit about the apple. I wanted to throw something at the TV. 

The results were not all that surprising but I was hoping Dennis would get a spot over either Cade, Gabby or Jurnee but I am not that upset about it. I've already accepted that Cade will be the one who overstays his welcome and sends home other people I like much more this season. 

I usually really, really dislike the "quirky" contestants on this show and by all accounts she should annoy the crap out of me but there is something about Catie I really like. It is so odd and very unlike me. She has a lovely voice. 

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 9

This was actually the first time I liked Michelle - I thought she did a great job. I liked Maddie (of course) and (gasp) Cade, and even Caleb.

I don’t even know wtf that was with Catie. I fast-forwarded her along with most of the others. I forgot that with the move to ABC we’d have to have a Disney night.

Also: JHC the people in the pit in front of the stage need to have their f***ing hands zip-tied to their belt loops or something; the completely rhythmless arm-waving and off-beat clapping are driving me to Spaniel Rage.

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I have watched about half the show while waiting to be able to post....why  watch the whole thing? It is really no longer about singing, it is about who is the most popular! Sure go ahead and vote before you even hear your favorite person sing...it doesn't matter if they aren't good or have an off night, just start voting at the beginning of the show! II really DO NOT like this option and it doesn't give anyone much of a chance to hear someone sing and decide, "hey, they are pretty good...Maybe I should throw them some votes!" Yes, Ryan says you can change your vote during the show but he is also reporting how many votes there already are so people are just voting for there favorites.

Yes, sadly it has come to being a popularity contest.   I couldn't believe when Ryan announced that there were one million votes already (in the middle of the show).  I remember (back in the early days of AI) watching the show with my mom and "calling in" our votes.  I don't like the abbreviated version that AI has become, especially the way contestants are "selected" to move on.  It's kind of a joke........  

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

This was actually the first time I liked Michelle - I thought she did a great job. I liked Maddie (of course) and (gasp) Cade, and even Caleb.

I don’t even know wtf that was with Catie. I fast-forwarded her along with most of the others. I forgot that with the move to ABC we’d have to have a Disney night.

Also: JHC the people in the pit in front of the stage need to have their f***ing hands zip-tied to their belt loops or something; the completely rhythmless arm-waving and off-beat clapping are driving me to Spaniel Rage.

Also, the yelling and clapping by the audience is annoying, I can't hear them sing when they do that!  The band again was overpowering.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

It's unfortunate that this show has now become the Katy Perry Comedy Hour. She didn't even pretend to have anything to say to Dennis about his performance because she needed to make sure she had time to get in her bit about the apple. I wanted to throw something at the TV. 

Her chewing on the Apple while talking was gross I don't need to see chewed up bits of her food just so she can be "funny".  She really night be the worst judge to be on this show ever she makes it all about her and she is  not funny.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 20

I am a huge Disney nerd so tonight made me very happy! Such a magical evening! And all my favorites got through. I loved just about everything, Katy as Snow White, the intro singing with the contestants, all the Disney magical goodness! Onto the performances...

Maddie - I really liked this and think she had one of the best performances of the night. It was a good song choice for her style. The stage designers did a really good job using imagery for everyone's performances tonight, the old timey feel for Maddie's suited the song well.

Jurnee - I gotta be honest, I really thought she would be toast tonight but she pulled through. Glad she made it but I fear she will be gone next week. I think the Moana tune was a good emotional choice for her, however not a good song in and of itself. I've never heard it before.

Cade - Awful. Easily the worst of the night. At least it was something different from what he normally does but this performance just showed how bad of a singer he truly is. And yet I have no doubt he got the most votes tonight. Ugh. I thought it was funny that they revealed he and Gabby are a thing lol

Ada - I think it could have been more powerful in certain parts. Idina gave great advice about using her lower register more. But it just wasn't enough IMO. It just could have been better. Not surprised she was eliminated.

Michelle - I actually thought this was easily her best performance to date (not that that's saying much). I thought maybe she'd get through over Jurnee. While she did have a good performance, I think she deserved to go home as I don't think she would be consistently good and otherwise hasn't been good.

Gabby - Yuck. Her and Cade are the two I can't stand, I actually like everyone else. Colors of the Wind is such a beautiful song and Gabby was meh. She whispered too much on the verses, she could have tried to be more powerful. And she tried to countrify it. My only hope for Gabby leaving is if America starts to hate her for "stealing" Cade lol

Michael - I wasn't a fan of his changes to the melody and phrasing. The stylists also could have found him a better outfit that was more Disney-ish, like WTH was that ugly Christmas sweater mess? What saved him is he has a gorgeous magical tone to his voice and overall I have liked his body of work, so I voted for him. Glad he got through.

Caleb - Predictable but appropriate song choice. It was fine, not great. The song kind of just plods along and there's not many standout moments to it. But he could get up to the mic and burp and get voted through. Sweet that he dedicated it to his dog.

Catie - Oh my god. Best. Performance. Of. The. Night. SO MAGICAL!!!! I loved it!!!! She was the only one who really embodied the whole Disney/Disney princess theme. I had no idea she could even use her head voice like that!!!! Wow. They should have let her close the show, but I guess it's good she didn't because I don't think she would have had enough time to get votes. I loved the background they used as well. Just Disney perfection. 

Dennis - After Catie I found this underwhelming. It was a good vocal but I think what really did him in was going last and probably not having enough time to get votes in. The new format kind of sucks for that reason. Oh well. 

Other thoughts: Katy's antics were a little much tonight, like what was with the drinking out of a shoe thing? And eating an apple instead of giving a critique? I did love her as Snow White though. I liked Idina as the mentor, I'm surprised she didn't perform. The D Cappella group was stupid and pointless, they only sang like 1 line from each song? 

Overall the night was a success IMO as a I love Disney and I think the results were fair. I think Cade had the worst performance but knew he wouldn't be going anywhere. If I could I would get rid of Cade and Gabby and take Ada and Dennis or even Michelle instead. Oh well. My favorites made it and that's what counts. After the show I had to go to YouTube and watch Catie's again. One of my favorite performances of the whole season.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

It is really no longer about singing, it is about who is the most popular!

suebee12, You and I know the first part has been true since Season Two! ;-)

Well, I'm shocked and awed, and still ticked that Effie didn't make Top 14. But Gabbie? I thought Michelle was superior to her and Maddie tonight.

As for Adam: I didn't think his voice was so great this week or last. Ah, well. Ada was never going to become the American Idol.

So, the Top 3 will be Cade, Caleb, and the Last Standing Female, amirite?

And on another note, haha:

WHAT A LOUSY ENDING FOR ADAM, MICHELLE, AND DENNIS! AI should be ashamed of itself, letting those three young people just meander, stunned, given no opportunity to speak, to thank the show  and America, to wave good-bye, FGS.

Remember when the booted would be given enough respect that they SANG at the end?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 12
43 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I have watched about half the show while waiting to be able to post....why  watch the whole thing? It is really no longer about singing, it is about who is the most popular! Sure go ahead and vote before you even hear your favorite person sing...it doesn't matter if they aren't good or have an off night, just start voting at the beginning of the show! I really DO NOT like this option and it doesn't give anyone much of a chance to hear someone sing and decide, "hey, they are pretty good...Maybe I should throw them some votes!" Yes, Ryan says you can change your vote during the show but he is also reporting how many votes there already are so people are just voting for there favorites.

I agree with you to a point, but it's always been a popularity contest, and honestly, I feel like the majority of people pretty much voted like this after a few weeks anyway,  Not that they voted at the beginning of the show, but they voted for their favorites regardless of their performance.  I remember back in season 7, I loved everything David Cook did until his unfortunate performance of "Innocent" during Idol Gives Back week, which I thought was terrible.  It made me vote extra hard for him that week, though, because I didn't want him to go.

At least this way, it's easy to vote for everyone you want to, and grade them on a curve, so to speak.

43 minutes ago, Wings said:

Good god.  Enough with the phoney gushing over Cade.  You are grown women.  Stop it.  

Very true.  I did enjoy his performance tonight, though.  Smart move on his part to show a softer side.  

These are the most useless judges we've had yet, and that's saying A LOT!  The best part about them is that I know I can FF them and be confident I won't miss anything interesting.

We got the top 7 I expected.  I would have preferred Dennis to Gabby, but I didn't really care for his performance tonight, and I hated what he did to his hair (still threw him some votes though, because I wanted him to make it).  Surprisingly, I didn't hate Michelle tonight, but I didn't enjoy her enough to vote for her.

• Love 3

I fast forwarded through all of the judges tonight. I’m a sucker for all things Disney so I enjoyed the singing. 

I was fine with Ada and Michelle leaving. Dennis got screwed out of a spot in the top 7.  I would have rather Cade leave. 

Michael just warms my heart. 

I didn’t watch any of the beginning shows this season. Why hadn’t Dennis seen his daughter for so long?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

Catie - Oh my god. Best. Performance. Of. The. Night. SO MAGICAL!!!! I loved it!!!! She was the only one who really embodied the whole Disney/Disney princess theme. I had no idea she could even use her head voice like that!!!! Wow. They should have let her close the show, but I guess it's good she didn't because I don't think she would have had enough time to get votes. I loved the background they used as well. Just Disney perfection. 

I agree and I didn't expect it at all. I knew she was talented, but I was always sort of ambivalent towards her. She knocked it out of the park. If the show were based on talent, I'd say it would be between her and Maddie at the end. Sadly, neither one of them will win.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Sadly, neither one of them will win.

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure, if Catie makes it to Top Three (seriously, does AI want ANOTHER Caleb winning?!). Did you see her make-up tonight? The dress? Her hair? She's wising up; don't think that Adam's departure with his schtick didn't make an impact on Catie.

• Love 2

My problem with the Disney songs...they really are too predictable in both lyrics and melody.  I cannot get excited about 95% of them.  I think most of the contestants did the best the could, but I was left disappointed with most performances.  I thought Maddie and Jurnee handled their songs the best.

• Love 5

For me, the question of "is Catie's personality an act" was settled once and for all when she put that tackle hug on Idina Menzel.  That was no act.

I have a feeling that, for a long time, most of the meaningful critiques have come from the off-screen production staff (well, off-screen except for Michael who has seniority on everyone but Ryan and maybe Kieran), rather than the actual judges.  I've heard contestants talk about how much they've learned, and it certainly didn't come on-camera.  So the judges' critiques or lack thereof don't bother me as much.

I'm satisfied with the Top 7.  I wonder how popular the show was on the West Coast in the dinner hour timeslot.  (For everyone else like me on the East Coast, I looked up the schedule for ABC in Los Angeles: they're just repeating the show in it's regular 8 Pm slot out there, presumably with a chyron that says, "TOO LATE TO VOTE SUCKERS!"

• Love 6

See, Jurnee leaves me cold.  Gorgeous woman, gorgeous voice.  But I see no emotional connection.  

I liked Cade tonight, but his lips bug me.  Feminine.  Yes I am shallow.  

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Nessie said:

I agree with you to a point, but it's always been a popularity contest, and honestly, I feel like the majority of people pretty much voted like this after a few weeks anyway,  Not that they voted at the beginning of the show, but they voted for their favorites regardless of their performance.  I remember back in season 7, I loved everything David Cook did until his unfortunate performance of "Innocent" during Idol Gives Back week, which I thought was terrible.  It made me vote extra hard for him that week, though, because I didn't want him to go.

Yes, I know that it has always been a popularity contest(I would have voted for Clay if he just stood there not singing a note!) but at least we had to sit through everyone and maybe, just maybe someone would sing something that would grab you. And you are right, if something goes wrong for someone you like, you could vote like heck to keep them around(like when they changed Vincent at the last minute and Clay made his famous boo boo.)

But if they do it this way next week, whoever sings last has a huge mountain to overcome!

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure, if Catie makes it to Top Three (seriously, does AI want ANOTHER Caleb winning?!). Did you see her make-up tonight? The dress? Her hair? She's wising up; don't think that Adam's departure with his schtick didn't make an impact on Catie.

Maybe her little act really is an act -- but she's not overacting, she's REALLY acting. Like she's this really devious, calculating person who's invented this "aw, shucks, you don't have to like me!" persona so that everyone really does like her. And now she's going to calculate herself all the way to the top when she'll reveal herself as this smooth, cool, non-annoying person. MUHUHAHAHAHAH! 

• Love 5