Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Hollywoodland

Screen+Shot+2018-03-15+at+1.00.47+PM+%25

When a Rittenhouse sleeper agent in 1941 Hollywood steals the only copy of Citizen Kane, Lucy, Wyatt and Rufus team up with Hedy Lamarr to get it back. Hedy Lamarr turns out to be not only a glamorous movie star but also a scientific wizard whose discoveries led to the invention of Wi-Fi.

Promo pictures

And Jessica’s back. Not happy to see Wyatt? Does this Jessica know who he is? 

So Jia is healthy- except for the seizures/ visions thing- and the fact that everyone else with this syndrome is dead or crazy. 

• Love 3

Well, that sucked!

As many feared, Wyatt and Lucy got together ... AND ... Jessica shows up!

So now, Wyatt looks like a jerk & Lucy will be upset. 

Frankly, though, once they got together how else would the story go, I mean, if they couldn’t do it with Moonlighting, which had better writers, there was no chance for this show.

Also, with Wyatt sidelined, that gives Flynn the opportunity to step into the big boy shoes. And though I like Goran, I hate the way it happened.

All in all — it sucked.

Did like the song, though.

• Love 4

I liked Rufus telling Hedy to keep her and George's patent current. Nice gesture.

Not at all surprised to see Jessica at the end of the ep. I predict I'll be underwhelmed by her and whatever "connection" she and Wyatt share.

I doubt that's the end of the story with Jia's visions.

Flynn looked so good strutting into the bunker. Goran Visnjic is one handsome man!

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, mythoughtis said:

So Jia is healthy- except for the seizures/ visions thing- and the fact that everyone else with this syndrome is dead or crazy. 

I knew as soon as Wyatt got a text that he figured out Jessica was alive. I don't get how though. Even if they were still married, he's been living in the bunker so she wouldn't be expecting him to come home. I expected to wait at least one episode before they brought her back, but I guess it is a short season.

Or maybe she thinks Wyatt turned into a criminal or something, since this mission is no longer really sanctioned by the government. That could be one reason for not being happy to see him. It looked like her ring was an engagement ring, not a wedding band, but who knows.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Wyatt admitted that he and Jessica had a lot of marital problems. That's why they got into an argument and she stormed off, leading her to go off by herself and get murdered. It would make sense that if they had continued being married for another 5 years, it wouldn't have gotten better.

So it wasn't Jiya being the 4th person, but it was her family having a history of seizures. Interesting.

Hedy was fun. And I loved that they did actually change her history for her.

• Love 2

Yep, the return everyone knew was coming, but nobody really wanted...Dead Wife Jessica! Of course she returns JUST as he and Lucy hook up. Of course she does. Not sure what happens next though, as Jessica doesn't really seem thrilled to see him. It might be interested if Jessica isnt quite the perfect saint Wyatt remembers her as, or if his romantic memories of his Tragic Dead Wife will give way to the less perfect reality. I think he said something about them having issues, so maybe this will be less happy and more award. Poor Lucy.

Hedy Lemar sure is getting a lot of screen time lately, between this show and Legends of Tomorrow, which also had an old time Hollywood episode with Hedy as the historical figure of the week! It also had body swapping and magic talent agents and Helen of Troy. Because LoT is this show on shrooms. It was nice that they changed history for her, at least a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Flynn looked so good strutting into the bunker. Goran Visnjic is one handsome man!

I was thinking the same thing. That black on black was seriously working for him! I kind of like him on the team as the "sketchy guy who the good guys are forced to work for to take down a mutual enemy" guy. I can get into this. 

I laughed by ass off when the studio head was saying how conspiracy stories were old hat. Preach it studio guy! 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I knew as soon as Wyatt got a text that he figured out Jessica was alive. I don't get how though. Even if they were still married, he's been living in the bunker so she wouldn't be expecting him to come home. I expected to wait at least one episode before they brought her back, but I guess it is a short season.

Or maybe she thinks Wyatt turned into a criminal or something, since this mission is no longer really sanctioned by the government. That could be one reason for not being happy to see him. It looked like her ring was an engagement ring, not a wedding band, but who knows.

I think it’s the same thing that happened to Lucy in the first ep. of season 1. She lost her sister, and her mother was no longer sick. Something got changed when they were back in time. It may be that Jessica and Wyatt never married in this timeline, or she doesn’t know him at all. She did have an odd-look on her face when Wyatt hugged her.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Hedy was fun. And I loved that they did actually change her history for her.

I thought it was nice Rufus did that for her, but it seems like it kind of violates the whole "don't change history" thing.  Her being a billionaire and having a huge tech company could have major implications on history.

• Love 8

I loved all the Lyatt scenes, from Wyatt making heart eyes at Lucy when she sang, to their conversation by the pool ("You saved my life, you know"), to their kiss. Rufus walking in on them in the morning was hilarious. The scene of him ribbing Wyatt about it was a fun callback to Wyatt and Lucy teasing him about Jiya last season.

I was spoiled for Jessica's return, so it wasn't a huge shock. She definitely didn't look happy to see him, which isn't surprising given that their marriage was already shaky before she "died." I'm about 99.9% certain she's going to end up being a part of Rittenhouse anyway.

Rufus was great, as always. Pretending to be Langston Hughes, reciting the Fresh Prince theme song, and geeking out over Hedy Lamarr. Good for him for telling Hedy to keep the patent for her work--her work really was stolen in real life. I'm glad the show gave her justice in the form of billions of dollars! 

Oh, and excellent Hamilton shout-out. "Hamilton? A musical? That won't work." Ha. 

Edited by phalange
  • Love 14

This show went from 0 to 60 at the half hour mark. Of course Wyatt and Lucy would be followed immediately by Jessica's return. Who called Wyatt? If someone contacted him, Jessica didn't come back through time travel repercussions.

So, almost every Rittenhouse member is either miserable or conflicted. Maybe they should consider a new mission other than consolidating power with no real endgame.

I heard about Hedy Lamarr and Spread Spectrum communication a decade ago.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I had the same thought. 

I'm thinking she's engaged to someone else and when Wyatt shows up she's like "Why is my ex-husband here?"

22 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought it was nice Rufus did that for her, but it seems like it kind of violates the whole "don't change history" thing.  Her being a billionaire and having a huge tech company could have major implications on history.

Exactly. But, the way they kill people every week, I'm surprised the present, or their future, is anything at all like they knew. The Butterfly Effect gods must be going crazy. But, yeah, getting her a patent and possibly a company that might be a huge player in world events, could change the world in a million different ways.

I knew about Heddy's invention from something on the History channel. Some less known trivia within tonight's show ( and I had to check my facts first to be sure I was remembering right ), the "Barney Balaban" who was the head of Paramount was a also a real person. He was a member of a family with show biz roots, they owned movie theaters  and then he became the Paramount boss. He is the uncle of Bob Balaban, an actor who you may not know by name, but you would know him if you saw him, he played the head of NBC on Seinfeld, among other things.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ketose said:

So, almost every Rittenhouse member is either miserable or conflicted. Maybe they should consider a new mission other than consolidating power with no real endgame..

I really hope they're going somewhere with this. Between the last two episodes, it has felt like a plot thread that just gets dropped and contributes nothing to the storyline.

Hedy Lamarr shows up so frequently in shows nowadays that for a minute I thought they'd already had her on last season, and the initial awkwardness of their meet was due to them trying to hint to her to keep their secret. Took me a bit to realize she'd shown up on a different time travel show.

• Love 2

And Jessica’s back. Not happy to see Wyatt? Does this Jessica know who he is?  

I think she knew him, but there was definitely a weird vibe there. It seems she texted him, as she wasn't really surprised to see him, but it must not have been  a normal, married couple text, as it would if she never died and they've been happily married. That wasn't a wife happy her husband visited her at work. She also didn't seem surprised or confused that he was stunned to see her, which is interesting. Makes me think maybe she's not so much just alive again, and something else is going on.

I was also spoiled on her coming back, but poor Lucy. I'm glad it's a short season, so hopefully something gets resolved quickly. I don't want 7 episodes worth of angst for all involved.

I kind of like him on the team as the "sketchy guy who the good guys are forced to work for to take down a mutual enemy" guy. I can get into this.  

I'm reluctantly okay with it, as clearly if he's going to be on the show they couldn't just keep visiting him in jail every week, but he better not start going on a lot of the missions. Next week I get, since presumably Wyatt is MIA and he has to fill in. But I absolutely do not want them to start splitting time, or somehow finding a way to have 4 people on all missions. I still want the bulk of the show time to be the main three. If it starts feeling to me like he's getting shoehorned in too much just for the sake of it, I'd rather they just write him out. I also could never buy him as fully redeemed, if they tried to go down that road.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Her being a billionaire and having a huge tech company could have major implications on history.

As in (maybe), the main funding for present day Rittenhouse.

Lucy for the goal when she describes Citizen Kane to Hedy Lamarr:  "Spoiler alert. Rosebud is a sled."  To which Hedy replies, "What's a spoiler?"

• Love 9
6 hours ago, ketose said:

This show went from 0 to 60 at the half hour mark. Of course Wyatt and Lucy would be followed immediately by Jessica's return.

I was surprised that they went full monty there ... they just jumped from google eyes to bed in Hedy Lamar's house? This mission was very sparse in general. Finally team timeless seems to have a clear win.  Frankly, I thought the Lucy / Wyatt hook up was a little awkward.  Even Wyatt saying he went on the mission at first because he didn't care... ummm no at first he was obviously  motivated by time travel and getting his wife back.  .

Jessica isn't too pretty is she? Got to say I expected something else. 

I enjoyed Lucy singing.  Enjoyed that Lucy came up with the plan to spring Flynn. I didn't see it coming.

I am ok with Flynn being a member of the team as long as they give him something to do and don't have him turn evil in the middle of it. 

I took the text to Wyatt as being directly from Jessica. But agreed she had a strange look about her and seemed odd. 

And I am glad to finally have consequences to time travel... but took them long enough. I bet it was the security guard that got shot that somehow brought Jessica back.

ETA: Why do we keep hearing so much about Wyatt's background? Anyone thinking Rittenhouse had something to with it? 

Edited by BooBear
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

So it wasn't Jiya being the 4th person, but it was her family having a history of seizures. Interesting.

Not spoiled at all, but I found it a bit too much of a coincidence that they brought up "four people can't travel in the Lifeboat," Lucy and Wyatt sleep together and Jiya's visions suddenly vanish.

For Doctor Who fans, will this be a Melody Pond-type situation? For soap fans ... well ... is there a plot-related reason they had to actually sleep together as opposed to just make out a little bit? I wonder.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

For Doctor Who fans, will this be a Melody Pond-type situation? For soap fans ... well ... is there a plot-related reason they had to actually sleep together as opposed to just make out a little bit? I wonder.

It could be both of these things: they slept together for more drama during the season (because sex between main characters usually means real relationship, not a one-night-stand), and also because Lucy is going to be pregnant with a timey-wimey baby with magic abilities.

• Love 1

One thing bugged me, and it may be that Abigail and Matt aren’t the best of actors (though they’re engaging.) or it could be the writing. But when they were in bed, after the ... um, deed, one of them (can’t remember, I think Lucy) sought validation that the ... uh, sex was good.

Then, when they returned home (just before Wyatt got the text) again there was discussion, starting as a question, of it being wonderful.

I don’t know how old the characters are supposed to be, but I assume it’s somewhere around the actors’ ages. To me, that dialogue sounded real high-school-ly.  I wonder if there was a point?

Yes, I can see where they would talk about it but more about how to address it on future missions, and they did do that. But this bit of dialogue struck me as odd.

• Love 4

I wasn't surprised by the Jessica reveal, but I did find myself a little sad they didn't give Lyatt a couple episodes of happy togetherness before tossing it in the mix. I understand they only have 10 episodes, and that sometimes means slamming on the gas to get thing lined up for the finale, but I think it would have been a stronger story if they'd put just a little more space between "yay, we're in love!" and "oh, poop, dead wife is back!"

12 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

But when they were in bed, after the ... um, deed, one of them (can’t remember, I think Lucy) sought validation that the ... uh, sex was good.

Then, when they returned home (just before Wyatt got the text) again there was discussion, starting as a question, of it being wonderful.

It was Lucy, both times.

I do think part of that was to make sure the audience really understood there was hot, romantic lovin' just before it all blows up, but I actually thought it was in-character for Lucy. Huge parts of her life have either been proven to be a lie or have simply been erased. Wyatt has become one of the few constants -- a protector, a supporter, someone who doesn't change even when history changes around them -- so it made sense to me that she'd want reassurance that this next step in their relationship was a real thing that was happening. Right before it all blows up.

She's also the girl who (established just before aforementioned hot, romantic lovin') choose debate club over prom, so it also played as basic insecurity that the bad-boy-turned-soldier had walked away satisfied.

2 hours ago, BooBear said:

ETA: Why do we keep hearing so much about Wyatt's background? Anyone thinking Rittenhouse had something to with it? 

Last week, I would have said they were just trying to flesh out his backstory a little more. Now, I think they're building to something, because...

46 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

It could be both of these things: they slept together for more drama during the season (because sex between main characters usually means real relationship, not a one-night-stand), and also because Lucy is going to be pregnant with a timey-wimey baby with magic abilities.

I think that's your season-finale right there: both Lucy and Wyatt are "purebred" Rittenhouse, and their offspring -- conceived somewhere in the timesteam and technically a fourth person in the Lifeboat -- will turn out to be a necessary part of the Rittenhouse World Domination Plan. I really like Jiya, but I don't think that whole deep-dive into her health had all that much to do with her.

Any guess on what brought Jessica back? I read some speculation that maybe killing the studio security guard towards the end of the episode might have altered the timeline, but my money is on Emma, because, well, Emma is horrible. She told Lucy in 1918 that she'd made repeated hops across time to make sure Lucy's sister could never be born. No reason she couldn't have done the same in Jessica's killer's timeline to make the murder un-happen and fracture the Time Team. 

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Amerilla said:

It was Lucy, both times.

I do think part of that was to make sure the audience really understood there was hot, romantic lovin' just before it all blows up, but I actually thought it was in-character for Lucy. Huge parts of her life have either been proven to be a lie or have simply been erased. Wyatt has become one of the few constants -- a protector, a supporter, someone who doesn't change even when history changes around them -- so it made sense to me that she'd want reassurance that this next step in their relationship was a real thing that was happening. Right before it all blows up.

She's also the girl who (established just before aforementioned hot, romantic lovin') choose debate club over prom, so it also played as basic insecurity that the bad-boy-turned-soldier had walked away satisfied.

I like your explanation, and like you I think a problem with how it played out is that it was really rushed, and even though many of us saw it coming, when it did, it was like a streak that ran past and we had to go, "Hey. Wait. Did they—" But also like you said, when you only have 10 episodes, things get rushed. It's unfortunate. I would have loved to see more of this kind of stuff. I'm a sucker for character interactions. 

I've seen where there was an alternate kissing scene. Wyatt and Lucy are near the pool (maybe in it), but it didn't "film" right. So they moved inside. I would like to think that scene will pop up somewhere. Perhaps Ms. Spencer will put it on her Instagram.

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 2

The episode that just keeps on giving.

They visit 1941 Hollywood, and (as expected) see virtually nothing of any of the historic characters they meet.  Hedy Lamar, the genius, shows us only her pretty face.  Welles & Hearst barely put in an appearance.  Nothing so endearing as a time-travel show that shows you nothing of the times traveled to, or the people that live there.

Lucy continues to wear horrible, frumpy outfits.  The singing - I had to pour boiling olive oil in my ears to ease the pain.  Lyatt (ugh) is naturally followed, only minutes later by the return of Jessica, whose expression promises much draaama to follow.  Jiya  now shown to be in perfect health!  Except for the seizures/visions.  The consequence of which the writers have not hinted at, probably because the writers haven't figured them out yet.  In his goal to prevent the past from being altered, Rufus deliberately drops a hint that creates a vast personal fortune where one previously never existed.  And nobody will kill that supercilious ass Flynn and put me out of my misery!

I'm out.

• Love 1

The first time Lucy asked was to make sure that Wyatt was ok with dating a co-worker. That was a throwaway line to ward off  sexual harassment discussions in forums like this one. 

The second one was to build us up so the text would bring us down.  

If the text came from Jessica- why? She obviously didn’t expect him to show up there. More likely the text came from Rittenhouse so they could lure Wyatt out of the hiding place. Possibly didn’t like the death of their third sleeper agent. Did the guys Dad die too? 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

If the text came from Jessica- why? She obviously didn’t expect him to show up there. More likely the text came from Rittenhouse so they could lure Wyatt out of the hiding place. Possibly didn’t like the death of their third sleeper agent. Did the guys Dad die too? 

There's really too many possibilities to speculate on that I think. I mean it could've just been a really nonchalant text like 

"Hey Wyatt, are we still on to meet tomorrow?"

And Jessica's talking about a meeting with their lawyers to finalize their divorce so she can marry the other guy she is engaged too, since it really looks like she was wearing an engagement ring and not a wedding ring when she hugged Wyatt. 

Wyatt on the other hand sees a text from her, and just goes straight to her job, because he knows where she works obviously, and she's all "Why are you here?"

Of course you are right and it could've come from Rittenhouse, as a lure as well. 

• Love 1

Wyatt "dumping" Lucy to run to the mere possibility of Jessica was was cheap. I guess he could try to defend himself by saying that because of the "lock-down" situation they were in he couldn't say anything. Still, under the circumstances, he should have said something—even in code—to Lucy.

Also, and on a petty note—Wyatt really, really needs to lose the scruff, especially when going to someplace glamorous. He looks like a thug. (Yes. I know I'm beating a dead horse.)

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I liked Rufus telling Hedy to keep her and George's patent current. Nice gesture.

As a historical matter, it's hard to say if it would have matted. 

Patents are valid for 20 years and they aren't renewable. Her tech was patented in 1942, so it would have expired in 1962 no matter what they did. The military didn't start using it until it was already out from under patent. This wasn't an attempt to screw her over: the military was resistant to using outside/civilian designs in the 1940s and early Cold War, and the technology itself was apparently tricky to implement. Her design needed to find its moment, and that moment didn't come until 20+ year later.

• Love 2

I wasn't at all opposed to the idea of Lucy and Wyatt. I think it was realistically inevitable, and they seem like a decent fit. The conversation by the pool felt very natural and realistic (given a crazy, unrealistic situation). There was just the right amount of dorky awkwardness and emotion, to the point I was even a little uncomfortable because I felt like I was eavesdropping on a real moment between real people rather than watching characters on a TV show. But then they hit all the cliches. TV and movies really love going straight from first kiss to sex, with no transition period. Have they not heard of dating or taking a little time to make the full transition from friends to lovers? It may or may not have been a plot point here. Yeah, it could have been about getting Lucy pregnant with a time fetus, but at the same time, the same thing happens over and over again on TV, so it could just be typical TV writing of having a couple fall in bed during their first kiss. And then there was Jessica showing up, which we all saw coming. It would have been a bigger surprise plot twist if she hadn't shown up at the end of this episode, if they'd given it a couple of episodes for Lucy and Wyatt to really establish a relationship and for us to be lulled into complacency by the totally expected thing not happening at all before they yanked the rug out from under them.

I didn't get the impression that Jessica expected to see Wyatt there, so either her text had been something that normally (from her perspective, not knowing she's been dead from his perspective) wouldn't have brought him running straight to the bar or she wasn't the one who texted him. But then who would have texted him? No one in this timeline outside the Time Team and maybe Rittenhouse would have known she was ever dead, so it's not like one of his army buddies would have sent him a "dude, your dead wife is back" text. Really, unless Rittenhouse rigged it and was time traveling when the change happened, even they shouldn't have been aware of the change.

• Love 5

This episode was a lot better than the last two. A lot less mustache-twirling evil-doers and more silly adventuring. You can't convince me to take this show seriously, so it's unwatchable when they try. It works much better as a dont-think-too-much romp through time. None of it stands up to any logical scrutiny, so don't try.

Calling the dead wife "Jessica" was a bad move, though. Every single time he says her name, I'm reminded of the dead Jessica from Kripke's far superior show, and it yanks me right out of the episode.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

Wyatt "dumping" Lucy to run to the mere possibility of Jessica was was cheap. I guess he could try to defend himself by saying that because of the "lock-down" situation they were in he couldn't say anything. Still, under the circumstances, he should have said something—even in code—to Lucy.

Got to disagree with you there. If my dead husband/ love of my life, texted me when they were supposed to be dead, nothing on this planet would keep me from getting to them just to see if it was true. Regardless of feelings. That whole feelings mess would be totally independent from the need to know. Especially after last season.  Plus why say something to Lucy or anyone when you don't know if it is true.   

In terms of being petty with wardrobe I don't know what they are dong with Lucy this season... either she is dressed up to the nines with insane lipstick or she is completely make up free like she just got over the flu.  Can't we just get her someplace in the middle.  I did not like the dress.

I was grateful for once not to have such a heavy past story and could focus more on what the team needed to do in the past. Nice change up. We don't always have to spend weeks in a time period. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Got to disagree with you there. If my dead husband/ love of my life, texted me when they were supposed to be dead, nothing on this planet would keep me from getting to them just to see if it was true. Regardless of feelings. That whole feelings mess would be totally independent from the need to know. Especially after last season.  Plus why say something to Lucy or anyone when you don't know if it is true.   

In terms of being petty with wardrobe I don't know what they are dong with Lucy this season... either she is dressed up to the nines with insane lipstick or she is completely make up free like she just got over the flu.  Can't we just get her someplace in the middle.  I did not like the dress.

I was grateful for once not to have such a heavy past story and could focus more on what the team needed to do in the past. Nice change up. We don't always have to spend weeks in a time period. 

Yes, Wyatt, or anyone, would have done whatever it took to get to their supposed dead loved one. And, true, a lot depends upon what the text said. Something in it could have been something along the lines of "Tell no one, or she will die." Still, I think based upon the relationship that's formed between them (although because this is TV, how much do we actually know), I would have expected Wyatt to at least cryptically tell Lucy he was, at least, leaving the bomb shelter. He didn't even do that. Then again, maybe their was some threat we don't know about.

Of course, another big thing is: This is fiction, so what do I care?

Stealing their clothes makes me wonder how they do that. Go into the changing room to "try it on" and then run out the door? All three at once? In "those days" there were dressing room attendants who kept asking you if it was fitting correctly or whatever. If they run in, grab from the rack and run, what are the odds everything will fit? No way can they find their sizes if they are stealing from a clothes line.

Does Lucy carry hair brush, hair spray and curling iron in her (nonexistent) purse?

Wyatt's stubble really bothered me at the hoity-toity Hollywood plush party. Back then, men even shaved their 5-o'clock shadow before getting on the bus to come home from work.

Did I miss the episode where Wyatt (and who else?) learned to pilot the Eyeball?

Doctors find Jiya totally healthy, yet she has seizures? Then how about a prescription for seizure meds? She's having seizures but she tests healthy so she's NOT having the seizures we keep seeing? Gah. I wondered if doctors were lying. Especially if she went to see Dr. Rittenhouse for that diagnosis.

Wyatt (and Lucy) killing people in every time zone sure is (not) changing history much, is it. I guess those of us who are not famous nor related to the travelers are Red Shirts.

1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

Of course, another big thing is: This is fiction, so what do I care?

Yes, there's that!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, redpencil said:

I think she knew him, but there was definitely a weird vibe there. It seems she texted him, as she wasn't really surprised to see him, but it must not have been  a normal, married couple text, as it would if she never died and they've been happily married. That wasn't a wife happy her husband visited her at work. She also didn't seem surprised or confused that he was stunned to see her, which is interesting. Makes me think maybe she's not so much just alive again, and something else is going on.

My first thought was that Rittenhouse had brought her back specifically to screw with Wyatt, and she's uncomfortable knowing that she is being used (but probably grateful for being alive).

• Love 1

I was glad Wyatt and Lucy expressed their love physically in 1941, as after all, it was the style at the time. ;) 

I am loving the history lessons we get every week. I never knew any of that stuff about Hedy Lamarr. Though truth be told, for me, the name Hedy Lamarr just brings up thoughts of Harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles ("Hedley, not Hedy!"). 

I got to say, Rittenhouse's plan this time out was unnecessarily convoluted. Depositing an agent in Hollywood in the 1920's just so he can spend 15 years working his way up to a position of power within the studios, whereby in 1941 he can steal Citizen Kane for Hearst, just seems like the long way to go. Especially since the objective is merely to get a column in the Hearst papers. I think there are easier, less time consuming ways to achieve both of those goals. Though I guess for modern day Rittenhouse, time consuming isn't really a problem, is it? Still convoluted though. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 8

I thought this was a pretty cute episode overall. Lots of fun little moments - loved Rufus singing The Fresh Prince of Bel Air to Hedy Lamar. (And every time someone said "Hedy" I could hear Harvey Korman's voice in my head saying "Hedley." Fun fact: Hedy Lamar sued Mel Brooks and the studio that released Blazing Saddles for using her name. She settled out of court.)

I really enjoyed the clever way they broke Flynn out of prison. Not sure I buy that it would have worked but it's fun seeing them do more pro-active things like this with the time travel. Changing Hedy Lamar's future would usually be considered a big no-no so I'm surprised they went there but they seem less concerned with changing the timeline this season for some reason.

However . . . everyone who predicted that Jessica would show up the minute Wyatt and Lucy got together was proved correct, and that's very unfortunate. If there's one thing I know about Eric Kripke it's that he never met a cliche he didn't like. Honestly, if you're writing things that people see coming a mile away why even bother? It's like Soap Operas and evil twins - it's just too expected and unoriginal. People are groaning over this kind of stuff nowadays. 

Depositing an agent in Hollywood in the 1920's just so he can spend 15 years working his way up to a position of power within the studios, whereby in 1941 he can steal Citizen Kane for Hearst, just seems like the long way to go. Especially since the objective is to get a column in the Hearst papers. I think there are easier, less time consuming ways to achieve both of those goals. Though I guess for modern day Rittenhouse, time consuming isn't really a problem, is it? Still convoluted th

The other problem is we've been told Rittenhouse is some sort of all powerful organization stretching back to the 1700s. You'd think they could easily plant someone in a studio as a producer, or get a column submitted to a Hearst newspaper without having to use a sleeper agent who would then have to spend the next 15 years of his life working his way up through the legitimate ranks. It doesn't make it seem like Rittenhouse is really all that powerful, does it?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, JackONeill said:

Still, I think based upon the relationship that's formed between them (although because this is TV, how much do we actually know), I would have expected Wyatt to at least cryptically tell Lucy he was, at least, leaving the bomb shelter. He didn't even do that.

I would think that getting a text from someone who's been dead for years would likely shut down all critical thinking functions. Someone in that situation isn't going to be making rational decisions or considering consequences or other people's feelings.

One thing they got right on this show that Legends of Tomorrow missed was the fact that Hedy Lamar wasn't American. One of the reasons she was trying to invent things to help the war effort was that she fled Nazi Europe.

Hmm, I wonder if Jessica is alive in this timeline because of some invention that Hedy Lamar's tech company produced.

Also, Agent Christopher, Mason, and anyone other than the Time Trio probably don't know that Wyatt's wife was dead. Only the people who are traveling in time when a change happens seem to be aware of a change. So those who weren't on the trip are probably wondering what the big deal is and why Wyatt would just take off the way he did when his wife has been there all along, especially if they'd actually split up years ago.

• Love 2

Lucy is still underwhelming and I don't particularly like her.

Wyatt is still a boring, mayonnaise acting hypocrite.

Goran is still too good for this show, and Flynn is still the most interesting character but really doesn't have much point other than giving Wyatt someone to make his murdering self feel superior.

Rufus and Jiya are almost perfect. Keep them as they are. Kill off Denise, too. PLEASE. Useless, and I don't give a crap about her personal/home life.

So after a year, they didn't take a long hard look at what they were doing wrong, and fix it. Oh well. Note to show: kill off your most worthless character: Wyatt. Fire your worst actor (ML). That one action will change the show for the better. But it's not likely it'll make it to season three anyway, so.

15 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It was no surprise to me that she was alive after they finally got together.   Bummer that it was soooooo soon after the hookup!

I also noticed the engagement ring so I feel like she disappeared herself and was definitely not happy to see Wyatt.....

2 hours ago, BooBear said:

Reminds me of Grey's Anatomy when Meredith said to her "lover" who found out his wife was alive (coincidentally played by the actress playing Lucy!) and was leaving to go see her -- "If it was Derrick, I'd have already been gone."

• Love 1

By the way — and not because I’m a fashionista — I saw something that said the dress Lucy wore — and that has received a few pans on this forum — was modeled after a dress Katherine Hepburn wore in Philadelphia Story. How ‘bout that history!

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

By the way — and not because I’m a fashionista — I saw something that said the dress Lucy wore — and that has received a few pans on this forum — was modeled after a dress Katherine Hepburn wore in Philadelphia Story. How ‘bout that history!

This one, I believe:

image.png.ccc4f0d52890ce569d0f3068bc5827da.png

Lucy's version was a little less fitted, which I think detracted because it looked a bit big on her. But then again, for the storyline purposes, it's a stolen dress. It's not like she had time to go to a tailor for a fitting.

Edited by Amerilla
Adding a thought
  • Love 3

There was a continuity problem/issue in this episode as well. When they were following the Rittenhouse agent into the warehouse to retrieve the film, I wondered why Wyatt didn't have a gun. He's usually armed - that's the whole point to him being on this team, after all. Well, after the first shots were fired inside the warehouse. suddenly Wyatt had a gun in his hand. It was a big gun, too. There's no way he could have had it hidden in his pocket or stuffed into his belt. I guess they just didn't want to show him carrying it around because there was no logical place for him to have it on his person so they just magically produced it when he needed it.

2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There was a continuity problem/issue in this episode as well. When they were following the Rittenhouse agent into the warehouse to retrieve the film, I wondered why Wyatt didn't have a gun. He's usually armed - that's the whole point to him being on this team, after all. Well, after the first shots were fired inside the warehouse. suddenly Wyatt had a gun in his hand. It was a big gun, too. There's no way he could have had it hidden in his pocket or stuffed into his belt. I guess they just didn't want to show him carrying it around because there was no logical place for him to have it on his person so they just magically produced it when he needed it.

As someone said above, he carries his gun in Lucy’s non-existent purse, the same place she carries her brush and lipstick.

• Love 2

The show is full of continuity problems. How do they manage to get their hands on money for the eras and countries they are in ? Clothes are easy. Producing non counterfeit currency is harder.

I don't care too much about plot holes and inconsistencies if the show entertains me. It just hasn't even done that at all this season.

(edited)

It was okay episode, I guess. I liked the second one better, though. It has too much going on all at once and somehow they still managed to shove Flynn's annoying smirking mug there instead of Lucy Googling the Citizen Kane situation. The movie producer sleeper agent wasn't as developed as the last week's NASCAR guy, and Wyatt killing was practically non-event. I liked Lucy's outfits Hedy Lamarr's brain, however.

So, everything's fine with Jiya, and her heart issue is also gone. Interesting.

Lyatt was really adorable, and Rufus's reaction was priceless.

So, Jessica is back. I'm thinking she's Jessica who knows Wyatt but never was his wife or girlfriend in this iteration, with her matter-of-fact reaction to him. Maybe she's Rittenhouse, maybe she married Bam-Bam, maybe they're divorced, Jessica/Wyatt are over, imo. People on the board suggested Jessica is alive because of the security guard Lucy tried to save. I guess it could be it, since they showed him for way too long.

Everything Flynn is basically this for me:

when-i-see-someone-i-hate_o_576302.gif

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Does Lucy carry hair brush, hair spray and curling iron in her (nonexistent) purse?

She did have a purse when she had her blue dress + red hat combo on!

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You'd think they could easily plant someone in a studio as a producer, or get a column submitted to a Hearst newspaper

It was long rumored in Hollywood and other places that Louella Parsons got her lifetime column at Hearst Newspapers because she "knew the truth" about the death of Thomas Ince, a movie producer who died suddenly aboard Hearst's yacht in 1924.  The official cause was heart failure, but many conspiracy theorists of the day said Hearst had him killed because he was making eyes at Marion Davies onboard the yacht.  Even Patty Hearst plugged this theory in her novel.

6 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Welles & Hearst barely put in an appearance.

I would have thought they would have found a more age appropriate actor for Hearst, even with the cameo appearance.  He was 78 in 1941, and rather portly already.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Amerilla said:

Lucy's version was a little less fitted, which I think detracted because it looked a bit big on her. But then again, for the storyline purposes, it's a stolen dress. It's not like she had time to go to a tailor for a fitting.

Yeah they made it big on purpose because supposedly Hepburn is taller.  It went along with it being stolen from costuming.  Abigail chose it because she loves The Philadelphia Story.  The writer just said period dress in his notes, so it left the choice up to Abigail and the costume designer.

• Love 6

I don't care too much about plot holes and inconsistencies if the show entertains me. It just hasn't even done that at all this season.

I don't really care either - I can handwave the costumes and the money. But for some reason it really stood out to me that Wyatt was going into a situation without a gun - that's very unlike him, not to mention terribly remiss for the "muscle" of the team. That seemed more like a mistake than just something the writers didn't want to bother explaining. 

I did however find it extremely unlikely that Lucy would know so many details about old Hollywood like the name of the guy who ran Paramount Studios and whether or not the guy Rufus was pretending to be won an Oscar. So she's a film historian too?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

How do they manage to get their hands on money for the eras and countries they are in ? Clothes are easy. Producing non counterfeit currency is harder.

I think the point is that they don't... hence the need to steal clothes and crash at Hedy Lamar's place.

• Love 2