Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: 10s Across the Board

• Start Topic

I don't know if we're still supposed to hold off posting until the episode has aired, but just wanted to pop in and mentione I finally got around to watching the MTQ for this season. Kalorie seems ridiculously sweet. Also, Vanessa has the voice of a seven foot tall WWE champ.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 4

I see the aquaria/cracker throughline and I don’t know how to feel because I kinda think Cracker miiiiiiiiiiiight Be copying looks, but she’s so much more interesting when she speaks I kinda don’t care 

• Love 13

I watched the first 15 minutes online today (I’m on the west coast, so it hasn’t aired here yet. I’m convinced that a) Monet is actually Bob (my working hypothesis is that she blew all her money at a whorehouse or something & she needs to recoup her 100K) and b) Blair is like an 8-year-old when out of drag. 

Edited by heckkitty
  • Love 6

Ru looked so gorgeous in her black and white runway gown -- my jaw was on the floor.

I was really hoping there'd be a Ru-prieve and nobody would go home tonight. The first boot-ees always make me sad but Vanjie Mateo crying that she felt like she disappointed her drag family was heartbreaking.

She was already great in her talking heads.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 16
4 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Ru looked so gorgeous in her black and white runway gown -- my jaw was on the floor.

I was really hoping there'd be a Ru-prieve and nobody would go home tonight. The first boot-ees always make me sad but Vanjie Mateo crying that she felt like she disappointed her drag family was heartbreaking.

I felt she was history very early on! The confidence was there, but that was a bad outfit! I really thought Kalorie would pull thru because she's more than confident and can do a split! ;-)

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I was praying she'd say shante they both stay.  I was rooting for Vanjie.  

• Love 7

Why is Mayhem crying so much ... (she's still sobbing on Untucked). 

The commercials are insane. I think there's more commercial time than actual show time on Untucked. (I don't usually watch live.)

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Dani331 said:

I was praying she'd say shante they both stay.  I was rooting for Vanjie.  

It's criminal to send someone home that 1st day! Last season she didn't eliminate anyone; why not this season? ;-(

• Love 2

I haven't nearly enough time to shake off AS3 and reset, so I'm still pretty annoyed at Ru even when her runway jumpsuit was everything. And the episode was objectively fantastic -- love bringing all the old queens back, and while I will always pine for Mike Ruiz photoshoots (or really any photoshoot challenges), that runway was really fun and it was nice to see how supportive and interactive the vets were. Jinkx joking about being happy to have screentime had me rolling.

I haven't done really any Meet the Queens studying (because of AS3 pissiness) so I still can't tell a lot of these queens apart and I'm forgetting a lot of names. Judging from the talking heads, we have 2-3 Violet Chachki-out-of-drags. 

The Aquaria/Cracker beef for me is funny right now but I can see it getting old really quickly. It's reminding me a lot of the Instagram fashion influencers who were in a plagiarism feud, including the part where neither of them are nearly as fabulous or influential as they think they are. I hope it's like those two look-alikes from season three whose look-a-like storyline was both hilarious and super-short because they were both early outs. 

The only queen I had any pre-awareness of is Mayhem (from Willam and Morgan) and Blair (because she's a local girl....I think? I'm in Indy and I haven't seen or heard of her, but in fairness I haven't seen any local queens in the past year or so, so she would've been underage). I don't think that Blair has the legs to go far, but I'm glad she did well this first time out! And Mayhem I continue to adore....she is so sweet, and I think she really killed the mini challenge runway, and her maxi challenge look was amazing -- like Raja levels of amazing. I'm excited to see her hopefully flourish.

I mostly feel bad for Vanessa's out in that Ru kept trying to make "bam!" her signature, and I don't think that's actually Vanessa's thing, it's just a memorable line of Alexis's from several years ago? Her exit was a little bizarre and a lot sad. 

On a similar note, I was a little annoyed that Michelle was so fucking quick to hop on Dusty Ray Bottoms for the face dots. It's not really my cup of soup either, but a lot of queens have makeup signatures. And why wouldn't she trot out her signature look out of the gate? That seemed like a weird thing to get shady about, and it might rattle Dusty unnecessarily. I'm okay with challenging a queen to break a mold if they've repeated it a couple times, but doing it this quick seems a little unfair. Like, Milk and Max got to go much further into their seasons before they were challenged to switch it up...and bomb and get eliminated, and it would kinda suck if that happened to a queen on week two.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, kieyra said:

Why is Mayhem crying so much ... (she's still sobbing on Untucked). 

The commercials are insane. I think there's more commercial time than actual show time on Untucked. (I don't usually watch live.)

With All-Stars I was usually busy watching something else like "Project Runway All Stars 6" or "Top Chef" so I tended to see it later online! I may have to resort to that even though they've chosen Top Chef and "PR AS6" is almost over!

2 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

It's criminal to send someone home that 1st day! Last season she didn't eliminate anyone; why not this season? ;-(

Yeah, and she's breaking my heart all over again in Untucked.  ?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Watermelon said:

I see the aquaria/cracker throughline and I don’t know how to feel because I kinda think Cracker miiiiiiiiiiiight Be copying looks, but she’s so much more interesting when she speaks I kinda don’t care 

Cracker absolutely looks like a much stronger more interesting queen than Aquaria. I mean it sucks if you're Aquaria, but at the same time folks haven't been reinventing the wheel every time they want to make an improvement to a Ford. At this point, Aquaria might be all concept and no execution.

I feel badly for Vanessa Vanjie Mateo, but she lost that solidly. Her Drag on a Dime look was terrible and Kalorie had a much stronger lip sync. I realized I liked Vanessa Vanjie more because how incongruous her voice is with her look. Her look is soft and pretty and her voice is 6 foot stevedore.

Blair is an adorable fetus out of drag and a nearly perfect ingenue in drag.

• Love 19

I was fine with Vanessa being the bottom queen. As ill-fitting as Kalorie's runway look was, Vanessa's was just... super unflattering. She truly did look like a big, fluffy circle. Still sad to see her so upset at the loss, however. 

I'm pulling for Eureka, just as I was in S9. Hopefully she avoids doing any splits this season. 

Aquaria just comes off pretentious. Would be fine if she goes home sooner than later. But I suspect Kalorie isn't long for this Drag Race world.

• Love 2

I'm as annoyed with Eureka as ever.  That hair curl just makes me shudder and I hate the vanity glasses with no lens looks, although it was funny to see him trying to remember not to poke his fingers through the glasses when he was tearing up in the werk room.  I'm trying to forgive Monet for the no glass glasses in the THs because I love her otherwise.  I'm also Team Cracker over Aquaria just because I love Bob and Sharon might be my least favorite non-all star winner.

Way sad for Vangie because Alexis is one of my all time faves and even more so after I saw Kalorie being such a bitch in Untucked.  Also I'm glad Untucked is considered part of the show (on Directv, at least) so I don't have to have a separate recording.

Not really into Dusty Rae Bottoms in drag, but I'm fine with her sticking around for her THs because boy Dusty gives me Ioan Gryffudd-ish vibes.  

Edited by Sile
mixed up Monique and Monet
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Sile said:

I'm as annoyed with Eureka as ever.  That hair curl just makes me shudder and I hate the vanity glasses with no lens looks, although it was funny to see him trying to remember not to poke his fingers through the glasses when he was tearing up in the werk room.  I'm trying to forgive Monique for the no glass glasses in the THs because I love her otherwise.  I'm also Team Cracker over Aquaria just because I love Bob and Sharon might be my least favorite non-all star winner.

Way sad for Vangie because Alexis is one of my all time faves and even more so after I saw Kalorie being such a bitch in Untucked.  Also I'm glad Untucked is considered part of the show (on Directv, at least) so I don't have to have a separate recording.

Not really into Dusty Rae Bottoms in drag, but I'm fine with her sticking around for her THs because boy Dusty gives me Ioan Gryffudd-ish vibes.  

B!tch, I already claimed Dusty hours ago! Hit the road and get lost! He's mine! lol! ;-)

• Love 3

Oh, and I'm so excited the preview shows that Alyssa will be the choreographer next week! I was just thinking how strange and kinda off-putting it is that we've never had another drag queen as a guest judge, or really as a coach/mentor either (Candis Cayne might be the only one, and I'm not sure if she's calling herself a drag queen these days?), so I'm so ready to see what she brings to the episode. Also, I need a break from Todrick.

• Love 15
On 3/22/2018 at 9:57 PM, annewithaneee said:

I was a little annoyed that Michelle was so fucking quick to hop on Dusty Ray Bottoms for the face dots. It's not really my cup of soup either, but a lot of queens have makeup signatures. And why wouldn't she trot out her signature look out of the gate?

And isn't Michelle the judge who usually rides for queens who are a bit different/more avant-garde? Did she ever say squat about BeBe gluing crystals to her face 2-3 times?

The looks on the black queens' faces when Cracker announced her name, oh mercy. I rewound that shit a few times. Cracker managed to shock drag queens!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

B!tch, I already claimed Dusty hours ago! Hit the road and get lost! He's mine! lol! ;-)

Hey!  No harm in looking! 

Although with Blair or Aquaria, I feel like just looking might be breaking several laws.  

• Love 4

I'm new to this show, but I was watching the marathon. This show seems cool!

I thought Kalorie had a better outfit and did slightly better in Lipsync, but the Lipsync was close for me. I felt bad for Vanessa Mateo. 

Loved seeing Christina! I don't watch the voice so it's the first time I've seen her in a long time. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

I was spoiled that Kalorie was bottom two this first episode, and I was sort of rooting for her, mainly because she's New Mexican and we haven't had one on the show from there, and my family is from there. I'd heard she was first to go home, and I had made peace with that, but I was not expecting Vanessa to go! I really liked her, her personality, her voice. I dislike the bringing queens back twist, but I'm hoping they bring her back! I'm happy Kalorie is still around. 

Seems like a good group. Don't cast Ms. Cracker and Aquaria just to push this stupid rivaly storyline. It's annoying. I really like Mayhem, and I'm glad she's on this season.

Hoping this will make up for AS3!

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, 2727 said:

And isn't Michelle the judge who usually rides for queens who are a bit different/more avant-garde? Did she ever say squat about BeBe gluing crystals to her face 2-3 times?

The looks on the black queen's faces when Cracker announced her name, oh mercy. I rewound that shit a few times. Cracker managed to shock drag queens, which isn't easy!

All the judges are hypocrites! Consistency is not their middle names! They're all FOS so much of the time! ;-)

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, 2727 said:

The looks on the black queen's faces when Cracker announced her name, oh mercy. I rewound that shit a few times. Cracker managed to shock drag queens, which isn't easy!

Asia O'Hara: "This hoe's gonna need a nickname!" 

Vanessa's sashaying away aside, this may get the taste of All Stars 3 out of my mouth.

• Love 3

Poor Vanessa looked so TERRIFIED during her lip sync. And I think she was having an out of body moment as she walked off the stage. Just sort of word-salad (can you say that when someone says just one word over and over? Maybe call it "word iceberg"?). My heart broke for her. It must be your worst nightmare coming true to go home first. If it were me, I'd be thinking, "Ok, I got on the show. Now I just can't go home first. That's worse than not getting on. Can't go home first. Can't go home first. Can't go home f-- oh my gooodddddddddddd...."

Also omg: Yara Sofia, what is wrong with your FACE????

Edited by Nerdlove
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Ru is almost always in gowns on the runway so that black and white bodysuit was everything!

Kameron has the body, but Dusty's face is so cute. So cute.  

We all have good taste! lol! I was all over him from the beginning of the show with his TH! ;-)

I liked it.

They are trying too hard with the Haley Mills Parent trap with the twin queens that looked nothing alike at the end of the day. Reach for that story line ladies!

The old guard of judgmental queens went by too quick. Mariah was still shady. Consistency. 

Bring it on!

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Cosmic Muffin said:

I was spoiled that Kalorie was bottom two this first episode, and I was sort of rooting for her, mainly because she's New Mexican and we haven't had one on the show from there, and my family is from there. I'd heard she was first to go home, and I had made peace with that, but I was not expecting Vanessa to go! I really liked her, her personality, her voice. I dislike the bringing queens back twist, but I'm hoping they bring her back! I'm happy Kalorie is still around. 

Seems like a good group. Don't cast Ms. Cracker and Aquaria just to push this stupid rivaly storyline. It's annoying. I really like Mayhem, and I'm glad she's on this season.

Hoping this will make up for AS3!

I just hate the fact that in AS, your only guarantee is to be the top 2! It's disgusting that feelings get hurt like Morgan against Dela; totally unnecessary pressure and stress to pick the person to leave! It finally broke Dela down and I didn't blame her for giving up her spot! ;-(

13 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Asia O'Hara: "This hoe's gonna need a nickname!" 

Vanessa's sashaying away aside, this may get the taste of All Stars 3 out of my mouth.

Asia's the only one with her own Wiki page! I guess that says something about her! There are winners of some of these shows and others that still don't have a page! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
38 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

Oh, and I'm so excited the preview shows that Alyssa will be the choreographer next week! I was just thinking how strange and kinda off-putting it is that we've never had another drag queen as a guest judge, or really as a coach/mentor either (Candis Cayne might be the only one, and I'm not sure if she's calling herself a drag queen these days?), so I'm so ready to see what she brings to the episode. Also, I need a break from Todrick.

I think Candis Cayne has been identifying as a trans woman/actress for a very long time. (I'm not being the pronoun police, I just happened to know of her (via that TV show Dirty Sexy Money) before I knew jack shit about drag or anything else in this context. In retrospect, I guess that show was a bit ahead of its time in actually hiring a trans actress for a trans role. This was before RPDR I believe.)

I kind of agree with your point about past queens being judges ... but seems like it would lead to even more social media feuding than All Stars. (I don't watch any other reality shows ... are these feuds the norm? No idea.)

I just realized how much I don't miss Santino.

• Love 4

Is half the cast from New York? Jeez. I was just thrilled to have a mini challenge and a real Untucked on my actual tv. I like Miz Cracker quite a bit, from her writing for Slate, and I didn't even know she was Bob's drag daughter. Aquaria seems like a Violet-lite try-hard. It's too early to tell about the others.

Did I see Katya in the mix of alumni queens, or was I seeing things?

• Love 6

Another high point for me was the scene with the queens getting out of drag for the first time and gawking at Kameron Michaels. Aren't they all sequestered together? I'd watch a show about that. Trade, indeed.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, 2727 said:

Another high point for me was the scene with the queens getting out of drag for the first time and gawking at Kameron Michaels. Aren't they all sequestered together? I'd watch a show about that. Trade, indeed.

Don't you love how he plays it like "no one's looking at me," when everyone is drooling! He knows he's gorgeous and purposefully walked around "bulging all over the place!" lol! ;-)

• Love 5

For me, great premiere and sooo refreshing after the lame All Stars. It seems we gonna return to what people like about the show: See queens on their working stations/being creative, have mini challenges (looking at next week preview). Sure, there will be some questionable sketches, but again, after All Stars 3, it wont be hard to top most of them. 

I see potential in most queens, so its really gonna be interesting to see how the competition will turn out because even with some standouts already, it can go very different ways.

About the top and bottoms I pretty much agree, Monique should have be in the top tho and the asian with the caution tapes just be with the safe queens. I think they were harsh on already picking on Dusty Ray Bottoms for use the same make up, but better get this warn now than too later to fix it. Blair was a pleasent surprised because I was underwhelmed with her looks so far and she really stood out. I just would give the win to Miz Cracker. Not only she pulled it of a good look but she served a full character on stage and was hilarious while talking with the judges, Mayhem look was strong but she wasnt really owning the runway as I would expect or showing a interesting personality (c´mon guirl, you better have more to serve than tears). The bottom 2 was clear, I just wasnt expecting Kalorie to turn it out on the lip sync, because she looked so defeated. But she did and poor Vanessa was done the minute she started to have problems to get rid of that net and move, even if she tried by the end.

Saw untucked now and it was also great. Funny moments, shade moments, real/honest/emotional moments, very ballanced.

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I think Candis Cayne has been identifying as a trans woman/actress for a very long time. (I'm not being the pronoun police, I just happened to know of her (via that TV show Dirty Sexy Money) before I knew jack shit about drag or anything else in this context. In retrospect, I guess that show was a bit ahead of its time in actually hiring a trans actress for a trans role. This was before RPDR I believe.)

I kind of agree with your point about past queens being judges ... but seems like it would lead to even more social media feuding than All Stars. (I don't watch any other reality shows ... are these feuds the norm? No idea.)

I just realized how much I don't miss Santino.

Oh I didn’t mean to misgender her, I know she identifies as a (beautiful, talented) woman. I just don’t know if she still does any drag performances or if she still considers herself a drag queen as an occupation, basically.

And it’s not just past Drag Race queens I want to see on the show as mentors and/or judges...more than that I’d really love to see other legendary queens pop in from time to time. At least once. Why was Lady Bunny relegated to Drag U and never brought back? Why hasn’t Coco Peru been a coach for a comedy challenge? Obviously Ru has to be the star, but in a decade you’d think she’d allow one of her peers just a sliver of the spotlight.

• Love 2

Well, that was a relief. Quite an exciting cast. Gosh I miss the photo challenge they used to have first episode instead of all this runway - but it was nice to catch a glimpse of so many past contestants, also. Adore looking smashing!

Have the editors been (gasp) reading the comments? Quite a lot more runway looks shown properly in the main challenge, which I've missed the last few seasons. Lots more workroom and some excellent makeup to watch being done - I was in heaven! And saving the bitching for Untucked, and just the odd snippet of it. It may take some time to recover from All Stars 3, but that was a very good start.

• Love 5

This was such an amazing premiere! It really washed away the bad taste of AS3 and I'm seriously looking forward to the competition!

I loved Monique Heart's look (and it's great to see her repping for my hometown KC!), so I was disappointed to see her just safe.

I am loving Miz Cracker, Monet X-Change, and the Chinese queen (can't quite remember her name yet which is ironic considering she couldn't tell the black queens apart lol). I find Aquaria oddly intriguing. I actually really liked most of the queens. And I must be in a really good mood because even Eureka was likable and didn't get on my nerves!

I thought it was a great first lip synch and Kalorie surprised me with how well she turned it out!! And I was devastated to lose Vanessa. What her looked lacked she more than made up in personality and I wanted to see her stick around for a little while at least. 

I'm a huge X-tina fan and have boycotted The Voice since her dismissal. loved her guest judging gig here.

Typically Drag Race premieres are always strong, but I am optimistic that Season 10 is gonna deliver!!

Edited by Victim Noises
  • Love 4

OMG, this was everything...  Funny Queens, a stunning Mini Challenge, a phalanx of Legends sitting in judgement, Ru in a body-ody-ody-suit, X-tina Aguilara, a definite piece of hot, rough trade in the werk room, a woman who just can't go on.... and just when you think you have seen everything, the queen from Albuquerque pulls money out of her bra-titty and makes it effin RAIN during the LSFYL.   SO GOOD.  

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Yuhua looks more like a woman out of drag. I have never seen a queen give such "biological woman realness" without a single speck of makeup on. She is gorgeous.

Monet X Change looks somewhat like Bob, but the voice is IDENTICAL to Bob's. If I close my eyes I swear it's Bob. 

Very impressed with Cracker. LOL at all the Black queens doing double-takes at that name ;)

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Clue me in.  What is wrong with the word cracker?  Is that still a derogatory word from the South?

"Cracker" is a racial slur against white people, kind of like "honky."

• Love 9

Yuhua in the work room is me every season for the first 4-5 weeks when I can't figure out who ANY of the boys are when they're out of drag. The entire first month, I depend on the chyrons during talking heads to know who anyone is out of drag.

Loved seeing so many of the past queens during the mini challenge! It did make me feel a little bad for queens like Kalorie and Blair who are doing drag in places like New Mexico and Indiana because they didn't have any friends or family cheering them on. I really miss the photo shoot challenges.

I give Miz Cracker credit for (1) recognizing she didn't have enough crap to create an actual outfit and then (2) bartering with the other queens to get some more materials. They could have said no, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Similarly, it was nice of Monet to offer up all her Barbies after she realized that she didn't want to use them.

I love Miz Cracker's mini photo album with her different looks. it's such a good idea in general but it's a REALLY great idea for a competition like this when you'll sometimes be given a challenge like this and need some inspiration. You can't waste time being frazzled and figuring out what to do, so having a look book is a great resource.

Aquaria needs to calm down though. Sometimes people coincidentally do the same thing (see also: the Madonna challenge). It doesn't mean they're copying you. One girl I know complained that her friend's proposal and engagement just like hers and kind of implied that it had been copied. I was like girl, your boyfriend proposed on the beach with a round diamond in a six prong setting. There is nothing original about any of that, so relax - no one copied you. When I was in high school, at some point before our spring dance concert, one girl said to another girl, "Um, you know I'm doing the center splits in my dance, right?" as if the center splits belonged to her. Just like the proposal/ring, approximately one gazillion people did this before you did, so stop acting like you're the only one allowed to do this. Stop worrying about what other people are doing and just be the best version of yourself.

My criteria for DIY challenges (both here and on Project Runway) is pretty simple. Can I tell that it's made out of cheap crap that you glue gunned together? Or does it look like an actual outfit?

Aquaria's Little Bo Peep passed my test. It was cute and fun and it was instantly recognizable. The only element I didn't like were the heart pasties. It felt a little like cheating that she didn't create a top.

Asia's Carmen Miranda via Party City was kitschy but colorful and fun.

Kalorie's money dress was not my favorite thing. It also reminded me of when brides do the money dance at weddings.

I liked Blair's black and silver outfit. It was a good use of the silver reflectors and I got her Vivienne Westwood inspiration. Her face was gorgeous too.

In comparison, Dusty's silver outfit looked very crafty and homemade. It was obvious that she hacked up those reflectors to make a costume, whereas Blair's ensemble looked like a real costume. I thought the only thing that was space odyssey/Judy Jetson about Dusty's was the silver color. The actual design of the outfit didn't say either of those things to me.

Kameron's flower outfit fell in the crafty category for me but I could see it as a fun kitschy costume.

Monet's sponge outfit was too crafty, but worse than that it made her upper body look thick because she glued the pieces on so densely.

Vixen's pool noodle carnival look was a bit too spare. It looked exactly like what it was - an outfit made out of pool noodle.

Mayhem's black garbage bag dress was cute and fun. I liked that she used the gloves to create a textured top.

Eureka's pink dress was okay for me. It didn't look totally crafty but that's mostly because she found something to make the whole skirt with.

I loved Monique's card dress. It was so fun. Loved that she even constructed the hair. I could see that being a real costume worn onstage.

Vanessa's flower leotard was pretty but it looked like what it was - a leotard with a shitload of flowers glued to it. I agreed with Michelle about how she made her body look shapeless. There was no design there.

Yuhua's caution tape dress was simple but I loved the movement of the skirt when she walked down the runway.

Miz Cracker was right about her silent film look - she sold it more than the actual outfit did. Despite that, she still deserves a lot of credit for creating that outfit out of three straw hat brims and a shower curtain. Not only did she make an outfit, she made something that didn't look like it was for a dollar store challenge.

As for Dusty's dot makeup, I'm not a huge fan of it but if that's her signature thing then fine. If Trixie Mattel was allowed to do her makeup the same way every damn week, then why can't Dusty?

My top three were Monique, Blair, and Miz Cracker.

Between Kalorie and Vanessa, I too thought that Kalorie's LSFYL was better. She looked like she was having fun, which is one of my main criteria. But then she reached into her bodice and made it rain which upped her score even more! Vanessa looked like a deer in headlights. I know the entire first episode can be overwhelming so I get it, and that's why I wish they wouldn't eliminate anyone the first week. But between the two of them, Kalorie won the lip sync.

• Love 8