Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: The Last Heartbreak

MostlyC

Chloe and Lucifer hunt for a serial killer who is targeting loving couples; Pierce realized the case is connected to a murder he solved in 1958; Lucifer becomes upset when Pierce has a change of heart about an important decision.

Too much time jumping for a Monday night.  Too many character twists, as well.   

Maze's personality all but unrecognizable (and she hurt Trixie's feelings). 

Amenadude doing a foolish thing and then compounding it with further confusion.

Ella was almost a growup professional until she got all giddy about a radio show. The show ended up being somewhat important until it wasn't very important, but the giddy got overplayed.

Very positive: whoever did Chloe's makeup for her 'date'.  Lucifer acted like a more mature character.  

Maze, though,  the Maze I thought I knew isn't there.  Need a rewatch of season 1 and 2.  

Positive, weird way version: I did get interesting in WTH (literally) is going on.

• Love 3

I'm not sure what to do.. I legit fast fwd almost all the procedural stuff this week.. Only stopping for Dan and maze.. Amenadiel with Charlotte and Dr.  Linda and for a small piece of pierce and Kay/maddie... Im glad it was 1. Clarified that amenadiel didn't know abt Charlotte 2. Acknowledged (barely)  that he didn't get to say goodbye.. That she had returned.. That so many ppl knew about it... I sure hope next episode keeps at it and doesn't have her thinking he's a loon... Dissatisfied with Maze... As shes been growing this behavior is odd without some reasoning... So hurry up show explain what's going on with Maze... And Can we please get the two angel brothers to have a real heart to heart

Dan was great as usual... 

Poor Trixie... 

Chloe.... Is still on the show 

Godawful. Chloe and Ella need to go. Immature and ditzy, they both belong in some tween drama set in a middle school but are 15 years too old. Triangles, jealousies and insecurities all around. Again. Another boring procedural. I know people have asked before, but did the show get new writers? This season is so far in quality from previous seasons and the characters aren’t even being written the same. 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Dissatisfied with Maze... As shes been growing this behavior is odd without some reasoning... So hurry up show explain what's going on with Maze...

Someone from the show said that this is about the fact that she has never had feelings before and now she doesn't know how to deal with them. I'm not sure that they're handling it in a good way though. I would also like to know why Maze is suddenly feeling something. Just because she's on earth? Why? It doesn't change the fact that she's a demon, so why didn't she feel anything while in Hell? Since Lucifer was rebellious, he clearly had feelings, so it's not earth which triggers being able to feel for celestial beings.

Generally, I don't think that TPTB have a good sense of timing. They're dragging things out far too long; Chloe learning about Lucifer, Pierce's and Lucifer's relationship, Maze... It takes them far too long to get to the point and then move on to the next step/stage.

• Love 5

Whoever ruined the Ella character is now apparently writing Maze.

The old Maze would have beat up a creepy drunk guy who slept in Trixie’s bed.

The old Maze would have told Dan off, but not brought Trixie into it.

Apparently, the more time Maze spends on Earth, the more of a monster she becomes.

Edited by Athena5217
Correct typo
  • Love 16

My only hope at this point is that Lesley Ann Brandt gets a new show, worthy of her. 

What this season has done to Maze's character is unforgivable. I am this close to declaring this show dead to me forevermore. And it used to be a top 5 favorite of mine. 

It is amazing how quickly something good can go downhill. I have no idea what is going on with the writers and producers here, but they should hang their heads in shame. 

• Love 12

Can't anyone on this show besides Dan and maybe Charlotte act like an adult?  Seriously, there's a limit on crap people can take!   For a show that started with real promise this show has died ugly!  Amendial is comic relief,  Lucifer, Ella and Chloe are preteens in heat and god only knows what's up with Maze.  Maze, Lucifer and Amendial have spent eons watching and dealing with humans but now they know nothing about them???

Please start making sense and please start showing some grown adults.  They even ruined the bit part character of Kay half way through the episode!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Now Amenadiel knows how Maze feels when it comes to being left out of the loop.  Maze had no clue that Ami and Dr. Linda were "involved".  Ami never knew that Charlotte was back

I don't think the two are on the same level... Sure a heads up woulda been nice.. But she made it clear she was done with amenadiel.. There was a long period in between before him and Linda started anything... Now as soon as she brought it up Linda and amenadiel shoulda been upfront and told her how crazy selfish it is to basically demand they don't see each other... 

Amenadiel's mom was taken away from him without him getting a chance to say goodbye.. Then her vessel comes back to life and is just up and walking around with no real idea what's been happening to her and no one tells him (including Maze)  so he gets shocked to see her on the street and then finds out it isn't her.  That is Way way more traumatic 

• Love 2

Maze is a demon. She gets pleasure from pain and has no concerns for anyone's feelings. She followed Lucifer to LA because of her loyalty to him, but her life with him in LA was not much different than life in Hell. Then Lucifer "betrays " her by his fondness for Chloe and his decision that he isn't going back  to Hell. Maze then forms a relationship with Linda which allows her to leave Lucifer and go out on her own as a bounty hunter. She becomes friends with Chloe and more particularly with Trixie. She starts having more human emotions. Then she finds out that Linda "betrayed" her by telling her she would not see Amenadiel  but continued to do so. Maze reacts by returning to her roots as a demon. She wants to inflict pain. She rejects Linda, does things that she knows Chloe would disapprove of, and even disparages Trixie. She's rejecting them before they can reject her. I don't like Maze as a demon, having seen her gentler side, but I don't see her behavior as a unexplained change of character.

• Love 10

I can't believe how this show has ditched everything that was interesting and gone down the formula procedural route.  And it wasn't even a good procedural, since the killer was the guy we saw for thirty seconds in the first act with no clue why he did this other than he found the original killer's notes.  All the supernatural stuff has been excised, and we didn't even get a "Tell me what you desire" scene again.  Only the 1950s moments gave us a clue that Cain is immortal. 

They're also wasting a stellar cast, because we've seen what they can do in the earlier seasons.  I miss when Lucifer was dynamic and he didn't care about the case because he knew that this wasn't the end for the poor soul that died.  I'm tired of him automatically assuming the simplest explanation and then just running with it, until he sees he's wrong and gains personal insight.  I miss the Devil who had some insight into the human condition, but was still surprised occasionally.

Chloe has also been a harder character to work with, but we just keep getting told she's special for some reason.  She makes Lucifer vulnerable and now Cain wants her so she can help him die.  At least bring Amenadiel into this, since he was responsible for her birth, and his and Cain's conflict playing out with that could be something I'd like to see.

Dan and Linda have made out the best, but they have been somewhat relegated to the sidelines.

I still like Ella, but mainly due to my crush on Aimee Garcia.  They laid some interesting groundwork with her, which they seem to have forgotten other than making her "quirky".  If Amenadiel actually tells Charlotte the truth, I want to see her confide in Ella, which would bring her into the know and challenge her faith, specially to know she's working with the Devil.

I get Maze is dealing with emotions that she never had before, but she just comes off as a bitch.  I'm assuming this will play out next week.

On the plus side, the scene of them on segways with the rain gear was funny and Cain's rock collection is impressive.

• Love 6

Not too much to add except they have made me hate Lucifer and Maze which I never thought would happen. Luci was a whiny brat in this episode and Maze would never hurt Trixie, even if she is a soulless demon. I assume she is having an arc and will redeem herself at some point, but it is not being written well. She's just an asshole.

And I wonder how Amy will convince Charlotte. He's got no powers, so I don't see why she wouldn't just think he's a loon.

I didn't mind the COTW but it seemed a bit pointless. Pierce is no doubt a one-season character so I don't care about him and Chloe. Although if he has nefarious intentions, that may be interesting. 

• Love 3

I'm confused. Amendment knew his mom was gone. Lucifer told him what happened. He also knew that his mom was possessing another woman's body. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this is the woman without his mom riding around inside her.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Amenadiel knew Mom was walking around in a DEAD woman's body. When Mom was banished, the body should have just collapsed. Even Lucifer was confused when Charlotte returned to her body. It's never really been explained how it happens that Charlotte is alive and walking around. (except that the show runners really liked the actress.)

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Lugal said:

Chloe has also been a harder character to work with, but we just keep getting told she's special for some reason.  She makes Lucifer vulnerable and now Cain wants her so she can help him die.  At least bring Amenadiel into this, since he was responsible for her birth, and his and Cain's conflict playing out with that could be something I'd like to see.

This is actually bothering me. His feelings for Chloe won't be real since he's using her and he should know that since he's been on earth for such a long time and he's not stupid. He also knows that Chloe has no idea who Lucifer and co are, so she's not actually doing something, it's just happening. So shouldn't he also know that getting just involved with her won't make him vulnerable since he's already tried out getting killed in her proximity?

• Love 5

I usually like procedurals, but god damn, this episode was boring. And I don't know why, is it because of the forced love triangle thing shoe horned in to this episode or the fact that nothing really important happened in it? There was no usual comedy in it, the Lucifer's jelousy was just too painful to watch, Amenediel's concern for Charlotte is just too stalkerish (in Charlottes point of view or should be. She should be thinking that Amenediel is a loon), Maze is having supposedly her own story arc, but it consists of acting like a scorned lover mad at the world, and the case was boring as fuck (sorry for swearing, but it emphasis the point).

• Love 2

I was glad that Lucifer didn't do his usual desire schtick; it's lost some of its charm for me since it usually now "reveals" something silly or mundane. Plus it would keep it fresh, not having it every single episode. It'll always be on the audience's mind.

I really hope there is a grand payoff with this dismal Maze arc.

Cain just using Chloe, cripes. And I was yelling at Lucifer to Use His Words with Chloe already. Arrrrrgh!

I think I can kind of see what they're trying to do with Maze here, that, as a demon, she has no really healthy way to deal with complex relationships and emotions, she is just now feeling these things, so she responds by acting like she used to before her character changed. But...its not working, and its not fun at all to watch. or interesting. Its just annoying, and its ruining one of the shows best characters, and some of the shows best relationships, for apparently no reason than to create contrived drama. I mean, Maze isn't even acting like a demon, shes acting like a brattey teenager pissing off her parents. It just sucks to watch. 

I did, however, like that Dan got to be the one to tell her off for her bullshit and putting Trixie in danger (no way would any other seasons Maze let a strange guy sleep in Trixies bed) and in general it was a good episode for Dan, even though he still doesn't have much of a plot of his own. He really had grown so much since the first season, its really great to see. Especially when every other character is going backwards. 

I actually liked the flashbacks to Cain in the 50s alright, and it kind of interesting that he is essentially trying to find love for the purpose of dying (kind of a dark take on a love story), but in practice? It takes this really interesting and fantastical biblical story and turns it into a freaking love triangle. I think my personal Hell would be watching every show I ever liked buried in stupid love triangles. 

So Chloe is special because...special? Could they ever explain that? Sometime soon? Because Chloe tends to, as of now, rotates between "boring stick in the mud" to "giggling teen falling head over heels over some guy" over and over. I like her sometimes, but lately...not so much. 

• Love 8

So after last week I said I was done and I would have been, but Netflix wasn't working.... All I can say about the episode was man that was boring. Characters that I use to like are now unlikeable. What use to be an interesting show is now blah. 

• Love 2

Am I the only person to find Cain's rock collection deeply creepy?  Does he still have the rock he killed his brother with?  I would have liked to have seen Lucifer's reaction to all those rocks but we were watching Sledgehammer-Man instead...

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Lugal said:

I miss when Lucifer was dynamic and he didn't care about the case because he knew that this wasn't the end for the poor soul that died.  I'm tired of him automatically assuming the simplest explanation and then just running with it, until he sees he's wrong and gains personal insight.  I miss the Devil who had some insight into the human condition, but was still surprised occasionally.

Yes, I really dislike how the case of the week "coincidentally" parallels whatever Lucifer's issue of the week is so he can gain insight from the solution, as if this was a corny sitcom aimed at teens who haven't seen much television. Way too contrived. More mythology, please. Cain's presence should make that easy. I enjoyed the presence of Abel last week.

46 minutes ago, CuddlerOfDragons said:

Am I the only person to find Cain's rock collection deeply creepy?  Does he still have the rock he killed his brother with?  I would have liked to have seen Lucifer's reaction to all those rocks but we were watching Sledgehammer-Man instead...

Must be fun to explain to the moving men every 20 years or so why his boxes feel like they are full of rocks. You'd think a guy like him would travel light.

I hope Dan tells Chloe that Trixie needs her sheets changed.

And thank goodness for Olga. With Maze in the wind and both Chloe and Dan working on the case, I kept wondering who was watching Trixie.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1

Also, was Chloe out all night?  There's no way she would have allowed Maze's night of debauchery, if she'd been home.  What Maze said about the drunk man not making it upstairs to Chloe's bed seems to back that up.  She wasn't at Cain's place, I doubt she was with Lucifer, so where?

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And thank goodness for Olga. With Maze in the wind and both Chloe and Dan working on the case, I kept wondering who was watching Trixie.

OK, so maybe what this show really needs is Olga.  Right now, I could see her being more interesting and teaching Lucifer a thing or three about life, responsibility and the danger of going by appearances instead of the whole person.  

More Olga, please.

13 hours ago, CuddlerOfDragons said:

Also, was Chloe out all night?  There's no way she would have allowed Maze's night of debauchery, if she'd been home.  What Maze said about the drunk man not making it upstairs to Chloe's bed seems to back that up.  She wasn't at Cain's place, I doubt she was with Lucifer, so where?

I may have misread the exchange but I was under the impression:

1) Trixie was staying at Dan's the previous night, which is partially why Maze thought it was NBD that he passed out in her room/bed. Trixie wasn't expected home during the debauchery.

2) No idea where the hell Chloe was but yes, Maze's nonchalance that his using her bed as an alternative did seem to imply Chloe was not home and not expected to be home either.

3) Dan arrived at their place to return Trixie from his custody-time and found drunk-dude, hence his upsetness, but basically, Trixie hadn't been back in yet to know what went down the night before.

2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I may have misread the exchange but I was under the impression:

1) Trixie was staying at Dan's the previous night, which is partially why Maze thought it was NBD that he passed out in her room/bed. Trixie wasn't expected home during the debauchery.

2) No idea where the hell Chloe was but yes, Maze's nonchalance that his using her bed as an alternative did seem to imply Chloe was not home and not expected to be home either.

3) Dan arrived at their place to return Trixie from his custody-time and found drunk-dude, hence his upsetness, but basically, Trixie hadn't been back in yet to know what went down the night before.

I think they actually stopped by to get Trixie's backpack for school, but yes to everything else.

I actually liked the flashbacks to Cain in the 50s alright, and it kind of interesting that he is essentially trying to find love for the purpose of dying (kind of a dark take on a love story)

I kept waiting for some surprise twist involving the waitress from the bar, that it was actually the woman Cain knew and not her granddaughter, that somehow she's immortal too, and has an agenda of her own. Alas, I guess not.

• Love 7

So, that's why Reznick is so mean over on The Good Doctor: she never got over getting dumped by Tom Welling!  Fun seeing Fiona Gubelmann in another role.

Yeah, the stuff with Maze is one of those cases where I get what they are going for and, in theory, there is potential with the "demon being overwhelmed by human emotion" story, but the execution is lacking.  And now they've might just torpedoed the entire character by having her badmouth Trixie, after those two were one of the best things about this show.  Not a fan of this.  Lesley-Ann Brandt is doing what she can, but this is not fun to watch.

Wait, so no bothered telling Amenadiel that the real Charlotte came back?  Poor guy, he's totally being left out of the loop.  But now he might tell her the truth?  Hmm...

Overtly-jealous Lucifer is not a fun Lucifer.

Dan's really becoming the best part of the show now.

Thanks to Breaking Bad, anytime I see someone with a rock collection, I expect to Hank to pop out, snarling "They're minerals, Marie!"  Hey, maybe Dean Norris can play "Dad."  It'd be a bizarre choice, but I'd dig it!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, that's why Reznick is so mean over on The Good Doctor: she never got over getting dumped by Tom Welling!  Fun seeing Fiona Gubelmann in another role.

That's why she looked so familiar. Thanks, thuganomics85!

• Love 1

I've been okay with the lack of Maze since the idea of pregnancy scares the crap out of me and so women who do it, take your time recovering if you can. Now though I'm glad Lesley-Ann hasn't been on much if it would have been more of trashing her character. Yes she is a demon. But we've seen her evolve. I can't believe they went with making Trixie cry. I don't know what to make of where they're going with Maze.

13, I think, episodes passed between Charlotte returning and Amenadiel finding out. Wow. That really highlights how disconnected the show is this season. Amen was freezing time when Lucifer faced Mom, he may not have known Charlotte got back into the body back when it happened, so it was a complete shock and no one mentioned it going back to even before Charlotte came back asking questions.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 2

I'm annoyed there was no follow-up scene with Trixie and Dan, or something. You can't just make an adorable little girl cry and leave it at that! Even if it can't be fixed in one episode, there needs to be some sort of follow-up. That poor kid.

• Love 8

Yeah, that was the worst part; the Trixie/Maze friendship is one of the best things about the show and they've trashed it.  For months now I've been sort of hoping Trixie gets kidnapped again and ends up maiming (or killing, whichever!) the kidnapper.  Maze would be so proud, Chloe so horrified; Trixie so empowered.  Alas, the kind of betrayal that Maze has just dumped on her is the kind that really sticks with a kid of that age and will really damage her confidence.  I just can't figure out where the writers think they're going with this.  I wonder if they even know.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:25 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Dan's really becoming the best part of the show now.

Dan really is the only one acting like an adult and not annoying me. However, I'm still not a fan of him and Charlotte; I personally think there was no need to bring the character back. But with what they've done with Lucifer, Maze and other character. Charlotte isn't annoying me as much these days. 

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, Fireball said:

Dan really is the only one acting like an adult and not annoying me. However, I'm still not a fan of him and Charlotte; I personally think there was no need to bring the character back. But with what they've gone with Lucifer, Maze and other character. Charlotte isn't annoying me as much these days. 

Yes, Charlotte at least has legitimate issues: a vague memory of hell, a missing block of her life and losing her kids. I don’t think there is a need for her, but both the character and the actress are among the least annoying parts of the show. 

Ditto Dan being the only other adult on the show. I think he’s getting short changed though because of all the other characters and their childish issues, mainly love triangles and daddy issues. And I find both Chloe and Ella unwatchable

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, icemiser69 said:

Don't Dan and Chloe pretty much have the same job title?  They are both detectives

If I remember correctly, Dan was demoted due to his issues in Season 1. He does the scut work while Chloe is the lead detective.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2018 at 11:33 PM, sinkwriter said:

I kept waiting for some surprise twist involving the waitress from the bar, that it was actually the woman Cain knew and not her granddaughter, that somehow she's immortal too, and has an agenda of her own. Alas, I guess not.

Or that he was her grandfather!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I can't believe that no one in all these months has called amy and said "hey, charlotte survived mom, heads up."  This is just anvilicious plot contrivance to have Charlotte learn about angels and swords and could have been handled much better.

I did enjoy some of the romantic bits and Lucifer learning to overcome jealousy.

Maze needs to get over herself.