Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E17: One Man's Trash

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

So, Gibbs never misses an episode of American Pickers.  Good to know, I guess.

Casey and Abby were annoying.  

I found the stapler thing to be mildly amusing.  

I think I missed it.  Why was McGee not allowed to leave his desk at all, ever?

Always good to see Ducky.

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:
26 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Casey magically has a degree in forensic science so will she be the new Abby?

Looking that way to me. Sorry for the extra quote box. Couldn’t get rid of it. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

Yes, Unfortunately I don't think the story lived up to the premise.  NCIS ought to know after all these years that you need more than one potential suspect to keep the audience interested.

Casey was all right.  I didn't think about them needing a replacement for Abby, I guess I keep forgetting this show is going to be renewed again.

I was hoping for a lot more Ducky.  A whole lot more Ducky and Jethro interacting. 

I was personally insulted (not really, but it felt that way) when Abby and Jethro were on different sides of the mirrored wall in the interrogation room, but no direct interaction.

I have this feeling I've seen and heard Kasie before, but I have no idea where or when.  Any ideas?  Even seem to remember her as  positive vibes and a great smile. (I also wish I'd just been able to appreciate her as a visiting character instead of as an audtion for Abby 2.0)

• Love 2

So, Jack and Gibbs are having dinner together? Hmm. Do you think Gibbs is still cooking his steaks in the fireplace? Jack look like the type that would be cool with that, even though she might read into it.

• Love 2

Please, please don let Kasie be the new Abby.   I found her annoying beyond belief.  And, no it's not because she's black, because I would love more Clayton. 

Edited by PhoebeDog
8 minutes ago, PhoebeDog said:

Please, please don let Kasie be the new Abby.   I found her annoying beyond belief.  And, no it's not because she's black, because I would love more Clayton. 

I thought she was too much, too.  She's was like Abby on steroids (or whatever).  Abby is annoying, but she can also be endearing.  Casey was just annoying, IMO.  Or, maybe Abby has earned the right to be annoying since she has been around longer. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

So, Jack and Gibbs are having dinner together? Hmm.

Yup, and when she was commenting on him finding that rare missing piece for his dad's old razor, she said that he "got lucky".  I have a feeling that he was about to "get lucky" again.

And for what it's worth, I read on another site that the pin-up girl on the cover of the old magazine in that trunk was actually Mark Harmon's mother.

• Love 1

So Jack was a complete waste of space again, and why is she having dinner with Gibbs? 

Do not want Casey as the new Abby tyvm.

Was that a real person from American Pickers? I assume that's a real show.

Didn't seem like the cast had much to do, and no Clayton so definitely overstaffed.

Once again no scene with Gibbs and Abby. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Was that a real person from American Pickers? I assume that's a real show.

Yes, and yes.

I don't think I like real shows crossing over with fictional shows.  But I did like Gibbs finding the missing part for his dad's old razor.

• Love 5

My thoughts with Kasie Hines is that at first you meet these people and even though you have heard all the stories from Ducky, it is a bit intimidating. Some people are quiet, some are loud and nervous. Like she said with Abby it was like meeting the Beatles. So her demeanor if she will be Abby's replacement should simmer down. Remember how Jimmy Palmer was ,and sometimes still is, a nervous and very talkative of a person. Kasie probably will grow on us. I looked in IMDB and saw her list of appearances, but they were nothing I had seen. I thought Abby looking for Gibbs in the bullpen would have made him show up and they talk, but nope. I would like to read Ducky's book.

I was surprised with Nick, he came dancing in with his tax information and we saw the rest talking about the case. The old Gibbs would have laid into him. The stapler thing I thought would have come down to Nick using them to hard, and thus the reason they are breaking. I know with the newer staplers having plastic parts they don't seem to hold up as well as Bishop's Mack Truck Stapler should.

I liked that Gibbs found the handle to fit his dad's razor. I was trying to figure that out since he was in the Keogh's garage. It was nice he was going through Jackson's stuff. Also nice the pin up was actually Marks mom. Sloane coming to Gibbs inter sanctum, and Gibbs replying it was only a basement. I thought it was cute. I did like think her telling about her captivity helped her start to heal. Even though it wasn't to Gibbs.

It was odd to me why Clarence Wyatt would go to all the trouble now of trying to cover up his trail? I wonder if he hadn't contacted Roy Butler and then killing him, if he wouldn't have been found out. We see later ofcourse that a piece of his skin was found caught on a splinter of wood in the crate that held the Viking War Stick. But he probably didn't know he left evidence. But if he had destroyed the stick, or packed it away until he's 90, who would have known? Granted what are the chances of it being on a tv show, and then also of 2 guys involved in the case 16 years ago of actually seeing it and recognizing it??? But also with Wyatt being a collector, just because it looks good to his clients, probably made him not be one to let things alone.

Edited by webruce
Remembered thought.
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

an interesting note the pinup girl in Jackson's trunk was Mark Harmon's mom, Elyse Knox.

Thanks for sharing!  I didn't know that.

I'm fine with Kasie.  Pauley has decided to move on to other things, so we're going to need someone new.  We've just been introduced to Kasie as a character.  The writers need a little time to even her out, and I like how they introduced her via Ducky.  The case was kinda interesting.  I'd be interested to hear the backstory as to how Mike Wolfe came to do the show.

Anyone else want to read Ducky's book?

I wonder if CBS has considered doing something like ABC did with Castle?  ABC hired a writer to write actual books as "Richard Castle." If they found a person willing to really study the show and the character of Ducky, a book could be written that way.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

Yup, and when she was commenting on him finding that rare missing piece for his dad's old razor, she said that he "got lucky".  I have a feeling that he was about to "get lucky" again.

Just so not feeling a Gibbs/Jack romantic relationship.  I think Jack's on-screen chemistry is better with Vance.  It might be interesting to see Gibbs navigating a friendly working relationship with his boss's SO...

• Love 2

I remember when Bishop first came on the show and people over on the old IMDB forum were not all really accepting fans.  Now she seems to have grown on some people.  Casey (Kasey? Kasie?) will probably as well, if she is in fact Abby's replacement.

Has anyone noticed all the Abby throwbacks during this final season?  Is there a list somewhere?  Pauley Perrette tweeted a while back that she was going to toss in an Abby throwback from previous seasons into every episode this season.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I wonder if CBS has considered doing something like ABC did with Castle?  ABC hired a writer to write actual books as "Richard Castle." If they found a person willing to really study the show and the character of Ducky, a book could be written that way.

I still want to read McGee's book.

• Love 4

I must be in the minority - I liked Casey and hope she's going to be the Abby replacement. Her degree in forensics did not come out of nowhere - Ducky actually hired her because of it. Sounds reasonable to me. 

Didn't care too much about the case. As soon as the guy handed out his titanium card it was clear he was the culprit. 

The stapler plot did not make much sense except provide some office banter. 

I don't mind Jack but it's clear that the writers struggle to insert her into plots like this one. The little bit of background info on fraternities and collectors could have been researched by any of the team members especially sitting McGee. She also doesn't strike me as Gibbs' type but I admit that I'm still not over Hollis Mann/Susanna Thompson. Still if they want that ship to sail why not? I'd like to see happy Gibbs for a change.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I must be in the minority - I liked Casey and hope she's going to be the Abby replacement. Her degree in forensics did not come out of nowhere - Ducky actually hired her because of it. Sounds reasonable to me. 

I actually can't understand how anything about her could "come out of nowhere."  This was her first episode, yes?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I don't mind Jack but it's clear that the writers struggle to insert her into plots like this one. The little bit of background info on fraternities and collectors could have been researched by any of the team members especially sitting McGee. She also doesn't strike me as Gibbs' type but I admit that I'm still not over Hollis Mann/Susanna Thompson. Still if they want that ship to sail why not? I'd like to see happy Gibbs for a change.

I liked Casey too - vivacious without being childish. I was going to write the same thing about her degree. I think she had some decent chemistry with everyone - even if it was a little over the top in this episode.

I guess I didn't read Gibbs' dinner with Jack as anything but colleagues.  He's burned steaks with lots of people. Cool that the pinup was Harmon's mom. A nice tribute to her.

The thing that bugged me most about this case, is that NCIS interviewed the friend who "had a beer with him and left at 10" 16 years ago, and never bothered to follow up to see if his story was true? Doesn't sound like they did their due diligence. Checking the duty roster seems a pretty easy thing to do - as it seemed to be 16 years later.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

The thing that bugged me most about this case, is that NCIS interviewed the friend who "had a beer with him and left at 10" 16 years ago, and never bothered to follow up to see if his story was true? Doesn't sound like they did their due diligence. Checking the duty roster seems a pretty easy thing to do - as it seemed to be 16 years later.

That's what I was thinking.  The last person to see the victim alive is always a suspect to begin with.  They didn't check the bar where they were supposedly having drinks to check the time that they left?  If so, they should have been told that they hadn't seen them.  Not that that necessarily means anything in a busy bar (despite what TV shows would lead you to believe), but it would have led to more digging and questioning and that guy would definitely rather have his affair known than be under suspicion for murder.

• Love 2

IMDB and CBS list her as Kasie, but at first I wrote down the Casey spelling also. I keep notes, but rarely read them later, unless it is 2 weeks later or so I comment on it. That way to I can go back when rerun season comes and see if i had seen it. Even though sometimes I don't understand my own scribbling.

I didn't catch it as , Jethro and Jack getting lucky. Just co workers(friends) getting together. She had gone through an experience in the previous episode about telling John Ross about her captivity. Then she talked to Vance about the experience(telling Ross). So maybe this is part of her healing, and coming to grips with it all?  So she is here to help others but maybe the team will help her??

I thought that buddy Bill Lester, who was with the COs wife, had said that the bar was long gone? But yes I would have thought we would hear about a deeper investigation in to him. Even if they say we have come up with little information or something.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, webruce said:

I didn't catch it as , Jethro and Jack getting lucky. Just co workers(friends) getting together.

That's how I saw it, too.  I like Jack.  I liked the actress on Prime Suspect and I like her here.  I do agree that her character isn't always used as well as she could be.

I also like Casey or whatever spelling they choose; I think she'll make a great replacement for Abby.  But then I never was a huge Abby fan; I couldn't see how she was such an expert at everything.

• Love 3

I did not like the Casey character as written, especially with her giving Gibbs such a big hug right when she met him....it's like they were trying to impart some of Abby's characteristics (touchy/feely) onto Casey.  Then with Casey being so stand-offish to Abby...I knew immediately it was because of her being in awe, and it didn't seem to be consistent with the way they are painting her character.  And I think she would make a terrible replacement for Abby from a reality point of view...just having a degree in forensics would in no way qualify her to run that lab!

• Love 3

I think making Casey have a lot of Abby's characteristics is a mistake (assuming she is going to replace her).  They should probably go full-on opposite.  I know on this board a lot of people hate her, but Abby is also widely beloved, and she's one of only a very few original characters left.   Trying to replace her with a carbon copy is just going to make the fact that she's NOT Abby so much more obvious. It reminds me of when Jerry Orbach left Law & Order.  Everybody (yes, I'm sure not everybody) loved Briscoe.  Replacing him with Dennis Farina, another white-haired guy in his 60s was a mistake.  There wasn't anything wrong him, per se, I don't think, but we couldn't cozy up to him because he wasn't Lenny.  That's just my take on it anyway.  I think when replacing a character, you have to go different.  Not same.

• Love 2

We really haven't seen enough of Casey yet to figure out how much alike Abby she is. She seems to be bubbly and an extrovert but that's about it.  It normally takes a while for new characters (not a spoiler, I have no idea if that's the case here) to find their groove i.e. the writing is often exaggerated at the beginning and requires some fine-tuning while the actor and the writers are finding their way into the character.

Replacing Abby will of course be a hard task no matter how they're going about it. I'd rather not have them go into the opposite direction but that's because I'm still suffering from Bones-fatigue. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, webruce said:

I thought that buddy Bill Lester, who was with the COs wife, had said that the bar was long gone? But yes I would have thought we would hear about a deeper investigation in to him. Even if they say we have come up with little information or something.

I believe the comment about the bar was that they should have checked it 16 years ago - at the time of the murder.

• Love 2

Casey looks just like Bill from Doctor Who.   I haven't watched a lot of the Bill episodes, but that was the first impression I got.

I liked seeing Mike from Pickers but, once again, Frank gets short shrift.  It would have been fun to have Danielle and Abby compare tats and their look, because they could be sisters.

Was the original Flintstone stick case one of the ones we saw on old NCIS?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Casey looks just like Bill from Doctor Who.   I haven't watched a lot of the Bill episodes, but that was the first impression I got.

Same here. She could work for me as an Abby replacement, but I don't want to see Abby go without a huge heart-wrenching scene with Gibbs.

I actually think I could live with Jack and Gibbs getting together, but I would prefer it happen after the show ends and they can sail off into the sunset together.

• Love 1

Casie isn't enough of a science wonk to replace Abby.  There, I've said it.  As a retired scientist I would not guess that the best job someone with a degree in Forensic Whatever could get work  as an editorial assistant.  Acquisition of that job would be a brick wall for any career involving very expensive equipment that is continually evolving and that Abby and her replacement wold be totally up to date with.  Just being out of the instrumentation loop would put your work at risk of not being able to reply to defense lawyers attacking your methods.  (Something that was a weakness for Abby: court appearances.)

I know that the entertainment industry doesn't go very far to get experts to check their 'science'.  I stopped watching CSI after howlers on both Miami and then Las Vegas.  I like NCIS enough that I try to ignore the substitution of California for the MidAtlantic states, but with the addition of Jack, I worry that inexact science is replacing sciences that have reproducible results, regardless of the technician operating the machines given the same protocols to follow.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I liked seeing Mike from Pickers but, once again, Frank gets short shrift.  It would have been fun to have Danielle and Abby compare tats and their look, because they could be sisters.

Was the original Flintstone stick case one of the ones we saw on old NCIS?

I don't think so - I think by saying "16 years" they intended to put it outside of what's been on the show since 2013. Plus, I'm not sure we've seen too many unsolved cases (that weren't either solved within that season, or was a "big bad" sort of one where they knew who did it but couldn't prove it).

9 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Casie isn't enough of a science wonk to replace Abby.  There, I've said it.  As a retired scientist I would not guess that the best job someone with a degree in Forensic Whatever could get work  as an editorial assistant.  Acquisition of that job would be a brick wall for any career involving very expensive equipment that is continually evolving and that Abby and her replacement wold be totally up to date with.  Just being out of the instrumentation loop would put your work at risk of not being able to reply to defense lawyers attacking your methods.  (Something that was a weakness for Abby: court appearances.)

I know that the entertainment industry doesn't go very far to get experts to check their 'science'.  I stopped watching CSI after howlers on both Miami and then Las Vegas.  I like NCIS enough that I try to ignore the substitution of California for the MidAtlantic states, but with the addition of Jack, I worry that inexact science is replacing sciences that have reproducible results, regardless of the technician operating the machines given the same protocols to follow.

My understanding was that Casey is his graduate assistant - who's task was to keep him on track on his forensics' book. I did a lot of my professors' grunt work as a grad assistant.

As for substitution of CA, last week's episode substituting CA for Rota, Spain gave me a pause.

• Love 1

My understanding was that Casey is his graduate assistant - who's task was to keep him on track on his forensics' book. I did a lot of my professors' grunt work as a grad assistant.

My boss and some of the older scientists I know talk about laying concrete and building structures as grad students. Helping with a book would have been crazy easy to them.

• Love 2
On 3/15/2018 at 1:02 PM, Trey said:

That's how I saw it, too.  I like Jack.  I liked the actress on Prime Suspect and I like her here. 

I agree, I to had said that in a previous episode, and posted a picture of her in her hat. I still would like to see her wear one. Her character isn't really much different from Prime Suspect. I'd like to re -watch those. I liked her co- workers there too.  Some cases she doesn't have much to do, but we see that with Vance , Palmer and Reese.

Edited by webruce
Caps, need caps.
  • Love 1
On 3/15/2018 at 3:09 PM, Katy M said:

I think making Casey have a lot of Abby's characteristics is a mistake (assuming she is going to replace her).  They should probably go full-on opposite.  I know on this board a lot of people hate her, but Abby is also widely beloved, and she's one of only a very few original characters left.   Trying to replace her with a carbon copy is just going to make the fact that she's NOT Abby so much more obvious. It reminds me of when Jerry Orbach left Law & Order.  Everybody (yes, I'm sure not everybody) loved Briscoe.  Replacing him with Dennis Farina, another white-haired guy in his 60s was a mistake.  There wasn't anything wrong him, per se, I don't think, but we couldn't cozy up to him because he wasn't Lenny.  That's just my take on it anyway.  I think when replacing a character, you have to go different.  Not same.

I don't really see much similarity between Kasie and Abby. Quirky encompasses many things. Also, IMO Dennis Farina's character on L & O was nothing like Briscoe. I liked them both, but they were very different characters with different approaches to the job. 

• Love 2
On 3/15/2018 at 1:51 PM, LuvMyShows said:

I did not like the Casey character as written, especially with her giving Gibbs such a big hug right when she met him....it's like they were trying to impart some of Abby's characteristics (touchy/feely) onto Casey.  Then with Casey being so stand-offish to Abby...I knew immediately it was because of her being in awe, and it didn't seem to be consistent with the way they are painting her character.  And I think she would make a terrible replacement for Abby from a reality point of view...just having a degree in forensics would in no way qualify her to run that lab!

They left behind reality a long time ago by having only 1 forensics person for the entire NCIS agency. 

I haven't been watching this season because I'm not free at 8 on Tuesdays anymore (and I don't have a DVR). I was totally ignorant of Abby leaving or of her not having scenes with Gibbes.

I actually came to vent that yet again, the myth of Patton's pearl handled pistols continues... they weren't pearl; they were ivory. And I really expect a show like this to get something like that right!

Now I understand why Kasie was introduced.  I don't want to see Abby go either, but at least we're introduced to a fun new character that could replace her.  I at first thought Abby leaving could kill the show.  Now, seeing the rerun, I get it and look forward to Kasie (yes, that's how it's spelled; I use closed captioning) joining the show.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:33 PM, Magnumfangirl said:

The episode was lame, but on an interesting note the pinup girl in Jackson's trunk was Mark Harmon's mom, Elyse Knox.  Elyse_Knox.jpg

Another interesting Easter egg is the razor is called a Gibbs razor.