Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E14: Games People Play

• Start Topic

Maggie's relationship with Clive starts to progress, and she invites him over for a game night to meet Meredith and Amelia. Meredith and Jo meet with the owner of the patent to the polymer they need for their project, who coincidentally is a friend of the family.

Promo:

(edited)

Game night was cringe-worthy.  

Spoiler

I like Sarah Drew, but I won't miss April at all.

Greg Germann is too good at playing such a skeezy creeper.

Can we stop having Owen get romantically involved with women who do not want to have his babies?  Just let him meet a nice but tough former Army nurse/doctor who wants a family instead of retreading a relationship we already know doesn't work.

I'm loving Jackson and Maggie, I can't help it!

Medical marijuana for the win!

Man, Meredith really screwed herself.

Edited by kariyaki
Added spoiler tags
  • Love 15

So Jackson is dating Amal Clooney lite.  Or rather he was.  At least they've ripped the bandaid off Jackson/Maggie at last. I guess they will play out till Jackson goes back to April.

I hope April has a nice night with Koracick.  He's not a keeper, but she's in no place to keep one.

Why did Alex not explain to the grandmother that medical marijuana oil does not have the stuff that causes addiction?

I'm not a patent lawyer but isn't the point of patents that you can sell them to multiple people as long as they pay royalties?  Spanish doctor can hold the patent and sell the use of it to both those companies and Meredith.

Also Arizona must have failed intro statistics because correlation is not causation.  And the study she's doing has already been done multiple times. Why is she getting $100,000 to do it?

At least Owen/Amelia were cute.  And DeLuca Jr. finally got the girl he wanted.

• Love 9

The only good thing about this episode was the Owen/Amelia scene, and the fact they played out Owen stripping and laying Amelia on the table. I wish we got to see the actual sex over the squicky incestuous (shut up already) kissing that followed several moments later. I don't even know what happened at the end of the episode because I was swallowing bile.

• Love 7

When the grandmother fired Alex off the case, I foolishly hoped that Arizona would step in and then Team Peds would be reunited to work alongside Amelia to help Kimmie. Instead, Arizona is being wasted babysitting the horny sister and playing in OB after insisting many times in the past that she's not, in fact, OB. Is it any wonder why they are cutting the character loose at the end of the season? 

Still enjoying Tom Koracick. And Bailey and Richard laughing over the surveillance video was a great moment. 

I care not about Andrew and Sam. Isn't she going to Roswell? 

• Love 4

Jackson is too hot for Maggie. 

Amelia is so annoying imo.  And again with the jump up and wrap the legs around the man.  Find a new pre sex move!  

You can play a drinking game on how many times they say the word sex.  They need to come up with some better sex dialogue.

Amelia said she misses sex,  didn’t she recently have sex with the Dr who drove April home?

• Love 4

The entire (show-based) reason for game night was for Meredith and Amelia to meet Clive, and neither of them were even there. But Jackson and his not-seen-before-tonight-girlfriend were, and April, and Koreciack. And the interns that invited themselves. Who thinks they are invited to an obviously family-only event?

• Love 4

I must be the only one who likes Owen and Amelia. I enjoyed Owen going all Army doctor on the guys in the ER. I wonder if their divorce is actually final. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Amelia got pregnant and Owen finally got his happy family. 

I didn’t expect that surprise with Meredith and the Spanish doctor. I do suspect that she is going to take credit for Meredith’s idea. 

I lol’d at Webber and Bailey watching the security footage. I did gasp at that opening scene. I haven’t gasped at a hospital scene like that since the heart transplant scene from One Tree Hill many years ago. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Why did Alex not explain to the grandmother that medical marijuana oil does not have the stuff that causes addiction?

There isn't anything in marijuana, medical or recreational, that causes addiction.  MJ is not physically addictive, which is something Alex should have mentioned.  Alex did explain that the oil will not get her high (it has only trace amounts of THC, which is the stuff that gets a person high). 

• Love 7

It vaguely amuses me that if anything at all even vaguely interesting happens in their lives that Amelia and Meredith quite literally forget about Maggie even when they have plans to do something with Maggie.   Other than that?  I've got nothing.  

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

And the interns that invited themselves. Who thinks they are invited to an obviously family-only event?

They were very lacking in social skills, as most of the people on this show are, but I can see them thinking Hey, we're going to be just  like the residents now! Especially Glasses since he slept with one of them (Maggie ?) so he want to be a peernow.

33 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I must be the only one who likes Owen and Amelia. I enjoyed Owen going all Army doctor on the guys in the ER. I wonder if their divorce is actually final. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Amelia got pregnant and Owen finally got his happy family.

Waves hand  Me to! I hope that this means they are heading back to each other before

Spoiler

Teddy comes back to mess them up again

13 minutes ago, izabella said:

There isn't anything in marijuana, medical or recreational, that causes addiction.  MJ is not physically addictive, which is something Alex should have mentioned.  Alex did explain that the oil will not get her high (it has only trace amounts of THC, which is the stuff that gets a person high). 

I understand the grandmother's issue because both parents were addicts and she doesn't want her granddaughter to go that route and she's afraid that giving her medical marijuana will start her down that path.  She was shocked because Alex assumed she had asked for it because that's what the girl told him.

Alex should have explained from the start that it wasn't going to hurt her grand daughter but then there wouldn't have been the drama.

4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

They were very lacking in social skills, as most of the people on this show are, but I can see them thinking Hey, we're going to be just  like the residents now! Especially Glasses since he slept with one of them (Maggie ?) so he want to be a peer now.

I think Glasses slept with Jo, not that it matters because nothing ever happened with it. I'm not even sure that Alex knows.

• Love 2

Nothing happened in terms of Alex and Jo but Glasses probably thinks of himself as a social equal to the attendings.

It wasn't only a family game night - Jackson and April really aren't family nor are Arizona and DeLuca who were invited but ditched it because Arizona was so hot telling off that OB (eyeroll)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Nothing happened in terms of Alex and Jo but Glasses probably thinks of himself as a social equal to the attendings.

It wasn't only a family game night - Jackson and April really aren't family nor are Arizona and DeLuca who were invited but ditched it because Arizona was so hot telling off that OB (eyeroll)

Jackson I can kind of understand because the dumb Maggie/Clive showing-off conversation in the OR, but the doorbell rang in the middle of the episode and I must have missed a scene somewhere. Why were Arizona and DeLuca invited?

(edited)

Elective c-sections are not uncommon in the states and contribute a very low percentage to maternal mortality. I know the method isn't considered ideal, but someone please send Andrew's useless sister back to Italy. What was the purpose of that storyline if not to give her yet another opportunity to speak Italian? GMAB

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 9

Technically, only Meredith, Maggie, and Amelia were part of Games Night, if I remember correctly. Intern Amy Schumer was stupid enough to think that she was also invited. Glasses tried to tell her that they probably weren't invited. But then by the next scene, everyone was finding out about Games Night. So I guess it was supposed to be funny? It just made me resent the interns not named Casey Parker. Speaking of Parker, he's the best intern they've had in years. Very respectful, mature, smart, and good at his job. Seriously, Glasses and Amy Schumer made me wonder how they became doctors in the first place. 

29 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I understand the grandmother's issue because both parents were addicts and she doesn't want her granddaughter to go that route and she's afraid that giving her medical marijuana will start her down that path.  She was shocked because Alex assumed she had asked for it because that's what the girl told him.

Alex should have explained from the start that it wasn't going to hurt her grand daughter but then there wouldn't have been the drama.

True. But the grandmother reacted very violently very quickly and Alex seemed to try to explain it to her but she had already gone into her granddaughter's hospital room so I figure Alex decided to give her time to cool off before he explained.

I also get the volatile reaction. Her grandmother heard marijuana and immediately panicked because of the drug history in the family. It's not totally irrational to jump to conclusions in those circumstances, especially since she's not a doctor. She did listen in the end, which is what matters. 

April's spiral should be worrying to me, but I'm finding her the most fun in this state. Sleeping with Koracick? You go, girl! 

I didn't expect that ending with Meredith and her "aunt". I thought that maybe the woman would just get into some car accident and that's why things wouldn't work out. This is much more interesting. 

It's not that Maggie and Jackson's parents are married now and that it might be incest. It's that the two have zero chemistry together that made me cringe at their kiss.  

I did like the young rugby player and her story. I guess we might be seeing her again.

• Love 6

Ok ep.

Still not feeling Deluca and whatshername. I actually enjoyed the Owen and Amelia scenes tonight. Alex's storyline is good but I am still a little salty about how TPTB handled his beating the shit out of Deluca by making Alex the victim so his scenes are tinged by my remaining disappoint over that. I am interested in seeing how Meredith's story plays out. 

The game night scenes were entertaining with all the side interactions. I thought the build up and tension with everyone played out well. Bummer about Clive being a cheating douchecanoe. I am still neutral on Jackson/Maggie as a thing - give me back Maggie/Deluca, writers! - but am so not looking forward to the Maggie misogynoir fallout from it. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Technically, only Meredith, Maggie, and Amelia were part of Games Night, if I remember correctly. Intern Amy Schumer was stupid enough to think that she was also invited. Glasses tried to tell her that they probably weren't invited. But then by the next scene, everyone was finding out about Games Night. So I guess it was supposed to be funny?

I'm pretty sure Amelia (but maybe it was Meredith) said she would spread the word after game night was suggested.  So I assumed some more people were going to be invited. 

19 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's not that Maggie and Jackson's parents are married now and that it might be incest. It's that the two have zero chemistry together that made me cringe at their kiss.

This is exactly how I feel.  They didn't know each other growing up and they aren't blood relatives.  It isn't incest.  I could care less about that but the cheistry between them is so non-exhistant that I get bored whenever they are in scenes together.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

This is exactly how I feel.  They didn't know each other growing up and they aren't blood relatives.  It isn't incest.  I could care less about that but the cheistry between them is so non-exhistant that I get bored whenever they are in scenes together.

Taking this over to the relationships thread...

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

IA.  Weed isn't the worst thing in the world, and if it helped the girl eat, then all the better.  But Alex should have spoken to the grandmother privately before he went full steam ahead on this.  It's not just the weed, grandma had a right to know about any changes in the medical plan, not to be informed of them afterwards.  

If April leaves, she can take DeLuca's sister and his wannabe gf with her.  

I'm fine with Jackson and Maggie.  But I'd be cool with Maggie and DeLuca too, although it looks like that ship has sailed.

36 minutes ago, doLLish said:

Too hot for Maggie but not too hot for April?

LOL. Okay.

Aw, on international women’s day of all days! I truly think they’re both played by beautiful actresses. But the difference to me is that Jackson and April always had that sexual tension and chemistry, so no matter how April looks (frumpy, conservatively dressed, disheveled, or whatever), you can be guaranteed a hot scene. That kiss between Jackson and Maggie was just meh. Nothing there to me. So much build up all season and that’s it? I just don’t see the vibes that the patient who lost her ear saw (which, I get it show! Stop telling me and start showing me these vibes!). 

Clive and Maggie had such a nice connection. I really wish they had kept that up without the wife nonsense. 

• Love 19
11 minutes ago, mehtotheworld said:

Aw, on international women’s day of all days! I truly think they’re both played by beautiful actresses. But the difference to me is that Jackson and April always had that sexual tension and chemistry, so no matter how April looks (frumpy, conservatively dressed, disheveled, or whatever), you can be guaranteed a hot scene. That kiss between Jackson and Maggie was just meh. Nothing there to me. So much build up all season and that’s it? I just don’t see the vibes that the patient who lost her ear saw (which, I get it show! Stop telling me and start showing me these vibes!). 

Clive and Maggie had such a nice connection. I really wish they had kept that up without the wife nonsense. 

For whatever reason most Japril fans find it very hard to simply love Japril. They must take unnecessary shots at the character/actress playing his love interest at the time. They did it with Stephanie/Jerrika and now they're doing it with Maggie/Kelly. Everyone can pretend there isn't a pattern but there is. Commenting on what you perceive is a lack of chemistry or simply not liking them because it interferes with your ship is completely different than gauging hotness levels and trying to determine who is too good for who.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, doLLish said:

For whatever reason most Japril fans find it very hard to simply love Japril. They must take unnecessary shots at the character/actress playing his love interest at the time. They did it with Stephanie/Jerrika and now they're doing it with Maggie/Kelly. Everyone can pretend there isn't a pattern but there is. Commenting on what you perceive is a lack of chemistry or simply not liking them because it interferes with your ship is completely different than gauging hotness levels and trying to determine who is too good for who.

Eh, that’s fandom for you. You see it all over the place. I think these comments bothered me mostly because Jackson is not the strongest character at the moment, so he should consider himself lucky that either character would be interested in him, not the other way around, especially not for superficial reasons. He’s so blah! Pretty eyes but not necessarily able to carry an independent storyline the way they’ve written him lately. 

I’m still stuck on Clive and Maggie. The actors had good chemistry, and it was cute seeing a non-hospital love interest. Perhaps it couldn’t have worked out in the framework of the show, but they were fun! Maybe he could have been involved in administration or something to keep him around the doctors. 

I really wish Greg Germann’s character gets to stay permanently. 

• Love 12

Good lord, that was terrible.

April is somehow suspended over an incident that is in no way, shape, or form her fault (and something she tried multiple times to prevent), yet Owen actually knocks a patient to the ground and is not suspended?  Cool.

Jackson and Maggie. have. no. chemistry.  Jackson came across as SUCH a creep in his speech leading up to that kiss at the end.  Blech.

Auntie Marie seemed shady as hell from the moment she appeared, so if the "twist" at the end was supposed to be surprising, that was a major fail.

• Love 22

I still don't know if the writers expect us or want us to take Jackson/Maggie seriously or not, or just think it's creepy that Jackson out of nowhere has feelings for his technical stepsister after calling her sister earlier in the season (the boat ep). April's "Your parents must be so proud" was a drunk comment, tonight, but I can't imagine what Catherine will have to say about this. There was no hint of either Jackson or Maggie having any sort of romantic feelings for each other at all until April inexplicably brought it up in last season's finale.

• Love 14
(edited)

Yeah I agree it's been horribly done and only made Jackson look like a total sleaze.

Also the kiss reinforced what everyone is already saying in that there's just no chemistry there. Zero. The words of that song  "make room for me" or whatever it was I assume was meant to indicate that something big was happening aka Jaggie yet it fell completely flat.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 13

If I had a dollar for every time in my life I've read an actor or actress of color didn't have chemistry I'd be a rich man.. Andbif know that maybe POC ain't great at acting

• Love 1

After this episode, I’m torn between crack shipping April with Owen and April with Greg Germann’s character just because he’s fun. And also so much better than boring intern Roy. 

I’m really hoping they didn’t drop Arizona figuring out April has a problem from last week. Or did I miss anything from Arizona this week regarding April? 

• Love 6

I give Jackson credit for breaking things off with Priya since he didn't have real feelings for her, but at this point, I would rather see Jackson with anyone who doesn't work at the hospital.  Can't just one of these people date outside the hospital box?

• Love 3

After watching April for the last few weeks (along with Jackson’s reaction) I hope they’re not going with Jackson and Catherine taking custody of baby Harriet from April causing her to downspiral even more or where she leaves town in shame so that the writers can have Maggie play mommy to Jackson’s daughter. 

• Love 7

Best moments of this episode:

• Tom's hilarious charade guesses (bonus points for knowing about Flowers in the Attic)
  • Tom slow clapping April's tirade about the rules
  • Bailey and Weber watching the ER footage while eating popcorn and laughing
  • Love 18
(edited)

Did I miss something? When Meredith heard the man's last name with the polymer, did she not recognize the last name as her mom's friend? (or as it turns out - former friend)? Or was "Mer-Mer" too young to have known her last name back in the day? I may have just answered my own question. She was, afterall, too young to know that she and her mom ended up as bitter enemies. I have to say, until Weber said that about them being arch-enemies, I did not see this twist coming.

Edited by llewis823
12 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I'm not too keen on Owen.  But anything to keep Amelia on the screen is good for me.  

13 hours ago, statsgirl said:

At least Owen/Amelia were cute.  And DeLuca Jr. finally got the girl he wanted.

He has a head injury.  ;)

14 minutes ago, llewis823 said:

Did I miss something? When Meredith heard the man's last name with the polymer, did she not recognize the last name as her mom's friend? (or as it turns out - former friend)? Or was "Mer-Mer" too young to have known her last name back in the day? I may have just answered my own question. She was, afterall, too young to know that she and her mom ended up as bitter enemies. I have to say, until Weber said that about them being arch-enemies, I did not see this twist coming.

Exactly!  I wondered how she didn't make any kind of a connection with that.  She was old enough to recognize her when they came face to face.  

9 hours ago, doLLish said:

I didn't ship Jackson and April.  I don't actually like Jackson.  But there is some chemistry between him and April, and there was between him and Stephanie.  I see zero chemistry between Maggie and Jackson.

1 hour ago, TigerLynx said:

I give Jackson credit for breaking things off with Priya since he didn't have real feelings for her, but at this point, I would rather see Jackson with anyone who doesn't work at the hospital.  Can't just one of these people date outside the hospital box?

I've been saying that for years.  Unfortunately, it very rarely happens, and never works out when it does.

• Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Cristina and Izzie would do it for me.  Derrick can stay dead.

Cristina, yes.

Izzie, not so much. But it'd be nice to find out what she's been doing all these years.

11 hours ago, tabbybear said:

Am I the only one on this board that want to see April and Jackson make their relationship and family work.  I like them and I liked their story line as a couple.

Me too! But unfortunately, I don't think they are going to end on such great terms. April humiliated Jackson enough in last night's episode. -_-

13 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Nope, me too! I kind of hope Amelia gets pregnant, forcing them to work out their problems over the next eight or nine months. But knowing the writers, that's not going to happen. Also, someone asked if Amelia recently had sex with that guy who did her brain tumor. No, she didn't in recent episodes; but she did back at the beginning of the season.

9 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Good lord, that was terrible.

April is somehow suspended over an incident that is in no way, shape, or form her fault (and something she tried multiple times to prevent), yet Owen actually knocks a patient to the ground and is not suspended?  Cool.

Jackson and Maggie. have. no. chemistry.  Jackson came across as SUCH a creep in his speech leading up to that kiss at the end.  Blech.

Auntie Marie seemed shady as hell from the moment she appeared, so if the "twist" at the end was supposed to be surprising, that was a major fail.

Regarding April's suspension and Owen getting away with whacking a patient: yeah, I found that to be bullshit too. And then the fact that Bailey and Webber were laughing at her was kind of unforgivable. They didn't even talk to her or sit her down or encourage her to go to counseling. Does nobody remember all those losses she experienced just three or four episodes ago? Guess not. Way to write April off as being a whiny little brat.

Jackson/Maggie: I agree, no chemistry. Were we supposed to be saying "Oh. My. God! He's confessing his feelings! Kiss her, Jackson!" because I sure as hell wasn't. Gag.

"Auntie" Marie: I agree, she was shady as hell from the get-go.

12 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Still not feeling Deluca and whatshername.

Bummer about Clive being a cheating douchecanoe.

Andrew/Dancer: I actually liked them this episode! I know I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I want to know their back-story now.

Clive: Yeah, really is a bummer he was a cheating douchebag! :( I kind of liked him, 

Spoiler

but knew from spoilers on 14x16 that he would be gone soon.

Edited by kariyaki
Added spoiler tags
  • Love 4
(edited)

I’m not even a Japril fan. In fact, I find April much more interesting now. And with Owen. Because Owen and Amelia....snooze central.

Spoiler

But, firing established characters and keeping interns that no one is invested in?

I don’t even remember DeLuca’s GF’s name. The Interns to me are Glasses, Chubby Blond, Transgender, Not Hot Enough for DeLuca, and Girl with the Head Scarf. Sorry, I know that's all kinds of wrong, but I haven't even bothered learning their names, and I've been a fan since the pilot 14 (!) years ago. 

I do find it cool that they added a Trans and a Muslim character, however.  I'm just not invested in them, yet. 

Last night's episode with Arizona, especially, illustrates that Shonda and Krista backed the characters into a corner.  They couldn't write for Arizona once Callie left, and can't write for April without Jackson. Laziness. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
Added spoiler tags
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, llewis823 said:

The "You're your mother's daughter" didn't sound like a compliment. More like, that bitch stole my research (possibly the one Meredith is now continuing) and here you are, "stealing" my polymer! I also thought it odd that Meredith never asked Webber or maybe Bailey or even Koracick(sp?) about the woman before she arrived; they've been doctors for years and are supposedly very knowledgeable/skilled in the medical community and their specialized fields, so might have heard of her.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

If I had a dollar for every time in my life I've read an actor or actress of color didn't have chemistry I'd be a rich man.. Andbif know that maybe POC ain't great at acting

What does color have to do with it.  If there isn’t chemistry it doesn’t have anything to with their race.  I personally said Jackson was to hot for Maggie because I just don’t find Maggie to be very pretty.  I thought Stephanie was and so is April.

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 5

Okay, I have wanted to ask this on more than one previously tv forum. I have tried to figure it out on my own, but haven't been able to figure it out and I just give up. When fans are "SHIPPING" a couple, where did that term come from? I know it means you want them to be together. I know how you combine names like Jackson + April = Japril. But I just want to know where the term "SHIPPING" comes from - like what play on words made that become the term to use for wanting a couple to be together? Anyone?