Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Like Bad at Things

• Start Topic

Well, if there was any question of who the bad guys are, the FBI shot a dog! Just kidding. O'Keefe could have stopped  this several times and he refused to do so because his ego and his message were more important to him. He could have prevented the FBI from storming the castle if he had just done what Saul asked him to do and told everyone that JJ was alive and well, but no, he WANTED that massacre so that he could point to the FBI and say that they killed all of those people.

I love that Franny remembers Max.

I also loved that JJ's mom told him to STFU when he was broadcasting about her son being shot so that he could rile people up.

Josh's pharmacy made me laugh more than it should have. I was like OF COURSE he has organized panels of drugs in the trunk of his car!

• Love 15
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm guessing they released it early online since they know people will be watching the Oscars tonight!

I watch via Amazon Prime with the Showtime add-on, and every episode this season so far was released early, so it's not just because of the Oscars.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Well, if there was any question of who the bad guys are, the FBI shot a dog! Just kidding. O'Keefe could have stopped  this several times and he refused to do so because his ego and his message were more important to him. He could have prevented the FBI from storming the castle if he had just done what Saul asked him to do and told everyone that JJ was alive and well, but no, he WANTED that massacre so that he could point to the FBI and say that they killed all of those people.

I agree with this, but I also have to put some of the blame on Saul. The FBI could have grabbed O'Keefe as soon as they found out where he was; before the militia came in it was just a few compound people who had guns. But Saul insisting on doing his "softly-softly" thing emboldened O'Keefe and gave the compound crew enough time to call in the militia. O'Keefe is obviously all bark and no bite, he wouldn't have resisted much if the FBI had come in hard right away, and the compound crew with their non-automatic shotguns would have capitulated as well.

I don't know how many of you guys watch The Americans, but the bearded man who infiltrated the hospital and took pictures of JJ was played by Costa Ronin, a.k.a. Oleg. I love my two spy shows crossing over and hope Costa's part is expanded.

• Love 16

Carrie is clearly not able to put Frannie first, and the sister really should take custody.

If Carrie endangers Max, bi-polar or no bi-polar, I will cut a bitch. 

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

the bearded man who infiltrated the hospital and took pictures of JJ was played by Costa Ronin, a.k.a. Oleg. I love my two spy shows crossing over and hope Costa's part is expanded.

Wow, how does he go from looking all Russian spy to looking so Brawny paper towel?! Hope he has a bigger role than that, but at least it explains his unlikely super-spy infiltration of the hospital swarming with police and FBI. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I watch via Amazon Prime with the Showtime add-on, and every episode this season so far was released early, so it's not just because of the Oscars.

I agree with this, but I also have to put some of the blame on Saul. The FBI could have grabbed O'Keefe as soon as they found out where he was; before the militia came in it was just a few compound people who had guns. But Saul insisting on doing his "softly-softly" thing emboldened O'Keefe and gave the compound crew enough time to call in the militia. O'Keefe is obviously all bark and no bite, he wouldn't have resisted much if the FBI had come in hard right away, and the compound crew with their non-automatic shotguns would have capitulated as well.

I don't know how many of you guys watch The Americans, but the bearded man who infiltrated the hospital and took pictures of JJ was played by Costa Ronin, a.k.a. Oleg. I love my two spy shows crossing over and hope Costa's part is expanded.

OK! As I was watching him, I kept saying to myself, "He looks so familiar." Then the camera angle shot from below and I saw how tall and lanky he is, and I said, "OMG, it's what's his name from The Americans!" 

• Love 7

Wow.. despite the convoluted idiocy of several different plot elements (3 FBI agents don't so much as call out a warning when the militia guys came up on the agent who was trying to help the kid that got shot, Dr. Oleg's casual stroll through what would undoubtedly be a highly secure area to get the picture), this one still managed to keep me on the edge of my seat. O'Keefe is every bit the worm we knew him to be and I can't decide whether Saul is unlucky or just incompetent.

Carrie apparently doesn't give a shit about her kid - doubling down on the pharmaceuticals, going all in on a massively risky "operation." I guess the Carrie stuff is to set up the back half of the season. In any case, this show can still pull a good action piece out of the hat when it wants to, well done.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Thank you!  Good catch.  Oleg is one of my favorite characters, so its so nice to see him.  Of course it's a cross-over -  he was there as a time-traveling soviet spy, after all, he does work in the tech division.

I had to laugh at O'Keefe literally draping himself in the American flag.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, pfk505 said:

Wow.. despite the convoluted idiocy of several different plot elements (3 FBI agents don't so much as call out a warning when the militia guys came up on the agent who was trying to help the kid that got shot, Dr. Oleg's casual stroll through what would undoubtedly be a highly secure area to get the picture), this one still managed to keep me on the edge of my seat. O'Keefe is every bit the worm we knew him to be and I can't decide whether Saul is unlucky or just incompetent.

Carrie apparently doesn't give a shit about her kid - doubling down on the pharmaceuticals, going all in on a massively risky "operation." I guess the Carrie stuff is to set up the back half of the season. In any case, this show can still pull a good action piece out of the hat when it wants to, well done.

Eh. It's all just too stupid for me, and really lazy writing. Apparently, the FBI is also too incompetent to figure out how to prevent a hostage taker from sending out propaganda via the internet. They must have imported FBI morons from "The Americans", along with Oleg.

• Love 7
(edited)

Wellington goes behind Keane's back and she's furious so he tells her he's always believed in her and thinks she could be a great president.

She walks away without firing him.

Isn't it just typical, a man screws over a woman and gets away with it by gas lighting her?  ?

Carrie should have been rolling her eyes as she watched this, as the viewers should.

The FBI cuts off the power and the Internet after the shooting begins?

With tear gas and other non-lethal weapons, you'd think they could have taken down the survivalists earlier.  They could have cut the power and Internet long before, jammed the cell phone towers nearby or shut them off and the fake news wouldn't have factored in.

But looks like they want to delve more into fake news from Russia next so they had to have these implausibilities.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 7

In light of recent events, I felt really uncomfortable watching the scene of when the militia were unloading their guns and giving it to their men. Americans do really love their guns and they have lots of it.

On 3/4/2018 at 7:03 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I also loved that JJ's mom told him to STFU when he was broadcasting about her son being shot so that he could rile people up.

Scene of the night. Also loved it when she calmly told O'Keefe "you said you were going to walk away before anyone gets hurt, yet you're still here." He's officially a coward. JJ should have stuck to his gut and cut him loose when he first heard him call them fringe lunatics.

I love the FBI commander pushing back against Saul. God, was Saul ever so useless in this situation. It's time to retire. 

I was hoping that the O'Keefe drama would come to end with this, but alas, from previews, it does not look like it will. I love the slo-mo perp walk of him walking along the dead bodies, people who protected him, and people that he betrayed. Even with 40 people with AR-15s, or assault rifles, or whatever those are, you can't have a shootout with tanks and think there's any way you'll come out winning this thing. 

• Love 8
20 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I saw his name in the credits, but completely forgot it during the show. Didn't recognize him, so thanks for pointing him out.

14 hours ago, pfk505 said:

Especially since Dr. Oleg had absolutely no ID. It would be one thing if he just grabbed one off of someone. Given the chaos in the hospital, nobody might have looked closely, but it was noticeable that he didn't have one and every other hospital personnel did.

On 3/4/2018 at 10:03 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

O'Keefe was right that he wasn't running the show anymore. Even if he told them JJ was alive, I doubt they'd have believed him andt his dad might not believe it if they put JJ on the phone to say he was OK. And that's assuming JJ would even agree to get on the phone and, if he did, wouldn't say that he was being mistreated.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, crookedjackson44 said:

So this season occurs within three months of last season, right? What happened to Carrie's car?  Her home in NYC?  Has her sister forgotten that she is a spy?  Some of the stupidity is just beyond reason.

Ugh, this show has really taken a path that made last night's episode for me just awful. Homeland is unrecognizable. We are 4 episode sin and what exactly has happened? What a waste of celluloid... or whatever they use now. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Very good episode. But after just watching the Waco finale - and now this - I feel the need to watch a mindless sitcom or reality show. Some heavy stuff. 

Did anyone catch where the title of the episode came from? 

“Dr. Oleg”—love it! I thought that guy looked familiar but couldn’t place him. 

I’m actually enjoying this season more than the last few. I do miss Quinn, but I hated what they did to his character last season. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 3

Wow, Wellington admitted he undermined Keane by pulling a wag the dog. I would not have expected that.

I thought Carrie had palmed the pill while her sister was watching but she was really out of it the next day.

AFAIC chickensh!t O'Keefe needed two to the head instead of rescuing. They could've shot him with one of the militia member's guns and called it a day.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, slowpoked said:

In light of recent events, I felt really uncomfortable watching the scene of when the militia were unloading their guns and giving it to their men. Americans do really love their guns and they have lots of it.

Scene of the night. Also loved it when she calmly told O'Keefe "you said you were going to walk away before anyone gets hurt, yet you're still here." He's officially a coward. JJ should have stuck to his gut and cut him loose when he first heard him call them fringe lunatics.

I love the FBI commander pushing back against Saul. God, was Saul ever so useless in this situation. It's time to retire. 

I was hoping that the O'Keefe drama would come to end with this, but alas, from previews, it does not look like it will. I love the slo-mo perp walk of him walking along the dead bodies, people who protected him, and people that he betrayed. Even with 40 people with AR-15s, or assault rifles, or whatever those are, you can't have a shootout with tanks and think there's any way you'll come out winning this thing. 

Exactly! Not to get into a 2A but these situations always make me wonder how people can say they need these high powered rifles for their right to be a well armed militia against tyranny.  Sloppy as the joint task force here was, a big militia group with ridiculous fire power is no match.  And we aren’t even talking bombs and air force capabilities. You don’t stand a chance against the military.  

Ive had people argue they could at least save themselves and their families enough to go hide away in the mountains or something but ... drones. They’ll watch you escape and  find you again with drones even if you somehow do get away.

JJ and the dog were unnecessary shots. I don’t think that boy was going to fire on the FBI over his dog.  Isn’t this what happened at Ruby Ridge? Dog gets shot then the boy does? 

10 hours ago, Quark said:

What a bloody fantastic episode.

I must say whilst Saul was useless, Mandy Patinkin was phenomenal. 

Mandy does defeat well. I love his emotion. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

Did anyone catch where the title of the episode came from?

It's from when she went to the check cashing place. She claimed she had her "sister" declared incompetent. The employee said, "Like, bad at things?"

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's from when she went to the check cashing place. She claimed she had her "sister" declared incompetent. The employee said, "Like, bad at things?"

Good catch. I was too bored by her scenes to catch the little dialogue that happened.

5 hours ago, Kalamityjayne said:

JJ and the dog were unnecessary shots. I don’t think that boy was going to fire on the FBI over his dog.  Isn’t this what happened at Ruby Ridge? Dog gets shot then the boy does? 

I don't even understand why they shot the dog. He wasn't charging them, he was just running. It's not like the dog knew they were at the tree line. 

Did they explain how Carrie knew the guy with the drugs? I left the room for a second and then she's buying Ritalin out of the trunk of a car. JFC. What could go wrong? 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I don't even understand why they shot the dog. He wasn't charging them, he was just running. It's not like the dog knew they were at the tree line. 

Did they explain how Carrie knew the guy with the drugs? I left the room for a second and then she's buying Ritalin out of the trunk of a car. JFC. What could go wrong? 

Unfortunately, the dog killing was pretty consistent with reality. Law enforcement has an extensive record of shooting dogs under questionable circumstances. Yes, it is sometimes necessary, but their are plenty of instances when it is not.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

ah right - thank you.  I even chuckled at that line when he said it.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I thought maybe the dog was an accident. Like someone saw movement and thought it was a person coming at them?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Bannon said:

Unfortunately, the dog killing was pretty consistent with reality. Law enforcement has an extensive record of shooting dogs under questionable circumstances. Yes, it is sometimes necessary, but their are plenty of instances when it is not.

The numbers are staggering. I saw something around Christmas time on police shooting dogs.  I think it was after one guy was on the news for cops shooting his dog while he was at work. They were at the wrong address serving a warrant. Just walked in his fenced in yard and shot it dead.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought maybe the dog was an accident. Like someone saw movement and thought it was a person coming at them?

But still they shouldn’t just be shooting willy nilly. Could’ve been a little kid or someone trying to escape the compound like okeefes assistant did. Ofc she almost ate lead too when she ran at them.

12 hours ago, babs1226 said:

It may not have been his intention to actually fire, but he did raise his weapon.  

He did but they didn’t even wait a second before blowing a hole in him.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Kalamityjayne said:

But still they shouldn’t just be shooting willy nilly. Could’ve been a little kid or someone trying to escape the compound like okeefes assistant did. Ofc she almost ate lead too when she ran at them.

No they shouldn't have just been shooting willy nilly. That's how the kid ended up shot too. I know the kid had a gun, but he wasn't a real threat.

• Love 1

Raising the gun basically made it a suicide by cop.

Even if the rifle wasn't loaded, there's no point in raising it at other armed cops unless he planned to shoot.

But anyways, they had to get the kid murdered to set up all the other sequence of events in the episode and episodes to come.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Raising the gun basically made it a suicide by cop.

Even if the rifle wasn't loaded, there's no point in raising it at other armed cops unless he planned to shoot.

But anyways, they had to get the kid murdered to set up all the other sequence of events in the episode and episodes to come.

I don't think the kid was thinking straight. 

But he wasn't really murdered though, was he? Wasn't that the point, that someone planted the fake news story and O'Keafe didn't tell the father when Sal told him that? It was all unnecessary.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I don't think the kid was thinking straight. 

But he wasn't really murdered though, was he? Wasn't that the point, that someone planted the fake news story and O'Keafe didn't tell the father when Sal told him that? It was all unnecessary.

He wasn’t dead at that moment but he could’ve died after.  

On 05/03/2018 at 8:28 PM, Duke2801 said:

Very good episode. But after just watching the Waco finale - and now this - I feel the need to watch a mindless sitcom or reality show. Some heavy stuff. 

I’m actually enjoying this season more than the last few. I do miss Quinn, but I hated what they did to his character last season. 

I think overall I enjoyed this one and the one before, despite the plot holes. When the show is over without dragging and I think, "wow, we're done already." I think it's a good sign.

Plotwise, I hated what they did to Quinn last season too but I was just stunned at his portrayal of a man dealing with the aftermath of a stroke and PTSD. And unlike Carrie, I totally would have gone for his clumsy pass. Still sexy despite limitations. So miss Rupert Friend....

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, PreBabylonia said:

I think overall I enjoyed this one and the one before, despite the plot holes. When the show is over without dragging and I think, "wow, we're done already." I think it's a good sign.

This is how I feel, too. Usually with Homeland I'm bored for the first quarter of the season but enjoy the later episodes when everything connects and ramps up, but I've been interested in everything so far this year. This episode was especially suspenseful -- we knew some violence was going to erupt, but we didn't know what would trigger it or how bad it would be, which contributed to this mounting sense of dread. I felt it was well done.

• Love 3

The sequence of shooting dog, then teenage boy, definitely seemed like a nod to Ruby Ridge. If they kept going, it would’ve been dad next, then mom holding baby. I hope they don’t try to be too on the nose with these things. That whole situation was so frustrating and heavy-handed. 

Has it been made clear why Carrie is tracking that lady picking up the cash? Sometimes I space out and miss obvious things during the show. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Has it been made clear why Carrie is tracking that lady picking up the cash? Sometimes I space out and miss obvious things during the show. 

Yes, Carrie & Max think that she may have been the one that paid off the hitman that got the general in the prison. Her car got a parking ticket close to the prison.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, PreBabylonia said:

Yes, Carrie & Max think that she may have been the one that paid off the hitman that got the general in the prison. Her car got a parking ticket close to the prison.

Hubs and I think that when he was strip searched, the guy with the blue latex gloves that manipulated his ears, had poison on his gloves.  Is that the prevailing opinion here too?

• Love 4
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Hubs and I think that when he was strip searched, the guy with the blue latex gloves that manipulated his ears, had poison on his gloves.  Is that the prevailing opinion here too?

I think most people agree that it was the guy with the gloves, but I think there may be debate as to whether the general was poisoned when his mouth was inspected (long lingering tongue shots) or when his ass was inspected. Which would be a really terrible way to die. 

This method of killing has Russia all over it though, so I am wondering if that will eventually come into play during this season. Just this morning I read that a former Russian spy and his daughter were hit with some kind of nerve substance and are fighting for their lives in hospital. If Homeland is going to borrow that plot device, I think they will have to incorporate Russia into the storyline, and it will tie in with the real life investigations going on with the White House.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russian-spy-sergei-skripal-uk-scotland-yard-investigation-1.4565820

• Love 1
7 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

6 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

And she has been dating/fucking Wellington for several years. Carrie saw her in his house thanks to Max's hidden cameras.

• Love 3
(edited)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't there have been a more appropriate person to represent the White House on the ground at the shit show standoff than Saul? He's been in the position, for what, a day?  Is this even a job for the national security advisor? Is there no attorney general in the Keane administration?  Maybe that's the point.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't there have been a more appropriate person to represent the White House on the ground at the shit show standoff than Saul? He's been in the position, for what, a day?  Is this even a job for the national security advisor? Is there no attorney general in the Keane administration?  Maybe that's the point.

In fairness, Saul brought up this exact point when Chief-of-Staff gave him the assignment. He was told that the President was treating this as a terrorist threat, therefore, Saul as National Security Advisor was the proper person for the job.

• Love 1

The entire subplot was poorly written and directed. The O'Keefe character is poorly acted as well, so the whole thing becomes a mess.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

In fairness, Saul brought up this exact point when Chief-of-Staff gave him the assignment. He was told that the President was treating this as a terrorist threat, therefore, Saul as National Security Advisor was the proper person for the job.

National Security Advisors really don't have anything to do with the tactical decisions pertaining to apprehending terrorists, certainly not domestic terrorists, which O'Keefe is seen as. The whole thing is just a dumb way to insert the Saul character into the thick of the mayhem. Writing the characters stupid, the worst habit of heavily serialized drama.

• Love 1

To add on, the entire idea of a national manhunt for a domestic terrorist, culminating the way it is portrayed, is ridiculous. The fiascos like Waco and Ruby Ridge unwound the way they did because of typical bureaucratic nincompoopery, where bureaucrats fail to grasp how a fairly low level criminal investigation can get out of control, and turn into a total mess. Here, the bureaucracy is already on high alert, but they fail to behave like they are on high alert, except for physically inserting the National Security Advisor, 1 day out of prison, into the middle of the confrontation. None of it makes any sense, and it could have been done so much better.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Bannon said:

To add on, the entire idea of a national manhunt for a domestic terrorist, culminating the way it is portrayed, is ridiculous. The fiascos like Waco and Ruby Ridge unwound the way they did because of typical bureaucratic nincompoopery, where bureaucrats fail to grasp how a fairly low level criminal investigation can get out of control, and turn into a total mess. Here, the bureaucracy is already on high alert, but they fail to behave like they are on high alert, except for physically inserting the National Security Advisor, 1 day out of prison, into the middle of the confrontation. None of it makes any sense, and it could have been done so much better.

Reeks of final season apathy.

17 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Reeks of final season apathy.

I'd be inclined to agree, to think they are just collecting money at this point, without regard to quality, except for how wildly uneven the quality of this show has been since its inception. Like I've said before, it was really wonderful through season 1, until that point in season 2, where Carrie obtained the thumb drive which proved Brody was a terrorist. Then it descended into complete idiocy, culminating in the bombing at the CIA. It very slowly improved from there, and the season in Pakistan was decent. The season in Germany was good. Then things started to go south again last season. Really hard to write a good story regarding a huge conspiracy involving a very large number of people, and a Presidential assasination attempt, in a credible fashion. This season is back in basement, I think, which is too bad, but just a continuation of the roller coaster of quality this show has always displayed. I don't think I've ever seen a show quite like this, in that regard.

• Love 3