Type keyword(s) to search

Previous Episodes Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Nothing beyond S02.E15 in here please. See forum for individual episode topics from S02.E16 onwards.

• Start Topic

S2.E7: Messy

When a new "Enthusiastic Sober Consent" policy is introduced on the CalU campus, everyone has strong opinions about whether it's in place for the students' benefit or to protect the school. Cash is caught in the crossfire and Luca is surprised when Zoey jumps to his defense.

Original air date: 2/6/19

On 1/31/2019 at 1:27 PM, Aileen said:

When did Ana start getting high? I feel like I missed a plot point somewhere.

And Luca admitted that he's always high.  And we know what Vivek does for a living.  It's a good thing the twins have to be careful as athletes, or they'll lose their scholarships.  It's just too much.  And since Zoe doesn't mention replacing the class she dropped, is she now a part-time student?  Will it take her longer to graduate?  Three classes and no job or activities doesn't seem like much.  The twins presumably take a full course load, get up at 4:30 in the morning to work out, and travel for competitions.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And Luca admitted that he's always high.  And we know what Vivek does for a living.  It's a good thing the twins have to be careful as athletes, or they'll lose their scholarships.  It's just too much.  And since Zoe doesn't mention replacing the class she dropped, is she now a part-time student?  Will it take her longer to graduate?  Three classes and no job or activities doesn't seem like much.  The twins presumably take a full course load, get up at 4:30 in the morning to work out, and travel for competitions.

Three classes is plenty and definitely not a part-time student. I dropped a class every once in a while and was never behind and had more than enough credits to graduate on time. Assume the quarter system, not the semesters.

They brought in Cash just to have him in a scandal and disappear? He was the best male character and the only one Zoe had chemistry with.   That 5 seconds flashback party scene was more interesting than anything with Luca all season.

• Love 6
On 2/6/2019 at 11:53 PM, JasmineFlower said:

Three classes is plenty and definitely not a part-time student. I dropped a class every once in a while and was never behind and had more than enough credits to graduate on time. Assume the quarter system, not the semesters.

3 classes is 9 hours so that would be part time.

• Love 4
On 2/6/2019 at 8:10 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And since Zoe doesn't mention replacing the class she dropped, is she now a part-time student?  Will it take her longer to graduate?  Three classes and no job or activities doesn't seem like much.

I think the class she dropped was a lab, so it was probably only 1 or 2 credits.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

No it's not, that's not how it works in a quarter system. It's a full time schedule.

So now you’re assuming they’re in a system almost no one uses. Most schools have 2 semesters with regular classes counting as 3 hours.

• Love 5

So another episode of Luka being a total ass. Yeah, he always apologizes, but its getting old watching him being a dick to his girlfriend, then apologizing. Having Cash back for one episode just makes me miss me even more, and the fun, easy chemistry he and Zoe shared. It wasn't perfect (the virgin thing was so cringy) but I enjoyed them as a couple. Luka and Zoe just dont have much chemistry, and while I liked Luka just fine before he started dating Zoe, him being in a relationship seems to be really making his more assy personality traits surface. 

Other than that, I did like this episode. It was a classic "the crew sits around and talks about an issue from different angles" episode, which I usually really enjoy. This had a lot of good discussion, and I liked the many issues they brought up.

• Love 7

They seem to have dropped the twins being pissed at Zoey. I can't decide if I'm relieved (because I found it difficult) or if I'm frustrated (because we never saw how it was resolved).

I was surprised but pleased that Zoey was not flattered that Luka was insecure and jealous about Cash.

• Love 2

I'm just now watching this season and I'm not sure I can continue. I liked last season, but this obsession with cell phones and allowing it to 100% determine your level of happiness? I cannot relate AT ALL. I know many people the ages of these characters and they are nothing like them. Thank god.

Edited by Rebky
  • Love 1

Yeah, I'm still very disappointed in this season's storylines, or lack thereof. The suspension of reality that these sophomores live in a campus apt that is nicer than any apt I've ever lived in as an adult is bad enough. But these vacuous storylines aren't even stories per se, just random segues into the next random scene. Last season was really refreshing, IMO, and even though I'm not the demo for this show I could totally relate to my freshman year. This season? It's just stupid. All about social media woes. If that's really what's going down on college campuses then they ought to disallow phones on campus because if real college students are this dumb then we're all in trouble! And that said, my nephew is in college as a freshman and this sure as hell isn't his existence. Just sayin'.

• Love 2
On 2/10/2019 at 9:57 AM, Skyfall said:

So now you’re assuming they’re in a system almost no one uses. Most schools have 2 semesters with regular classes counting as 3 hours.

Well, my school uses it, plenty still do, including the UC schools that this seems to be based on. So yes, I find it a perfectly good assumption.

6 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

Well, my school uses it, plenty still do, including the UC schools that this seems to be based on. So yes, I find it a perfectly good assumption.

Only 15% (as of 2012) uses quarters so no it’s not a good assumption at all. https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/classroom-resources/semesters-vs-quarters-which-system-serves-students-best/

If 3 out of every 4 schools use regular semesters and this show has yet to even mention them doing anything else except semesters then it’s only right to assume it’s semesters.

S2.E8: Workin' Me

Zoey decides to give styling a try and offers to help the twins revamp their image in the hope of boosting their social media following. Knowing that sex sells, Jazz wants to play up her sexuality more than the other girls are comfortable with, sparking a conversation about image and empowerment. Meanwhile, Ana's new romance heats up.

Original air date: 2/13/19

Why can't Ana and Aaron be out?

On 2/10/2019 at 5:37 PM, tennisgurl said:

So another episode of Luka being a total ass. Yeah, he always apologizes, but its getting old watching him being a dick to his girlfriend, then apologizing. Having Cash back for one episode just makes me miss me even more, and the fun, easy chemistry he and Zoe shared.

I've never liked Luca. I don't think he's attractive and he's pretentious and condescending.

• Love 7

I LOVED the twins 'ghost' vintage makeovers at first, they looked amazing. I didn't truly get the final photo with Jazz or how it was sexy, on point, fire, Zoe's brand or...anything.

Luca is a lying hypocrite of a vegan. Figures.

Aaron really needs to lose the rattail. Who was the pic/screensaver on Ana's phone? Plz tell me it wasn't Marco Rubio.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I LOVED the twins 'ghost' vintage makeovers at first, they looked amazing. I didn't truly get the final photo with Jazz or how it was sexy, on point, fire, Zoe's brand or...anything.

Aaron really needs to lose the rattail. Who was the pic/screensaver on Ana's phone? Plz tell me it wasn't Marco Rubio.

'Twas he.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

He reminded me of Below Deck's hypocritical charter guests. Below Deck is a reality tv show about the people who work on luxury yachts. A couple of times every season they'll have some guest charter the yacht who insists that he or she is a vegan, doesn't eat red meat, gluten, or dairy, but will drunkenly request at 2am that the chef to make a burger, a pepperoni pizza, bacon mac & cheese, and a milkshake. That's Luca to a tee.

The thing he did that really pissed me off was that he drank oj straight out of the container AND THEN got a glass. What kind of backwards shit is that?

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

he drank oj straight out of the container AND THEN got a glass.

I noticed that too, and it made me laugh so hard.  I was like, what the fuck....who does that?

Honestly, this was the first episode this season that had me chuckling for the entire show.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

I noticed that too, and it made me laugh so hard.  I was like, what the fuck....who does that?

Ha!  Unfortunately, I know people who did/or still do that. Luca totally became THAT person who is always in your home eating and drinking food he/she didn't buy. His hypocrisy about being vegan totally fits with people I know who claim to be healthy eaters then you catch them eating something they swore they would never eat. Despite all that I like Luca; he says things that make me laugh, roll my eyes or think.

My favorite thing about the episode was Sky speaking up for herself and letting Jazz know that just because they're sisters doesn't mean they'll always like the same things or agree on the same issues. On a totally shallow note I loved their hairstyles this episode!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Who was the pic/screensaver on Ana's phone? Plz tell me it wasn't Marco Rubio.

That’s exactly who it was. I guess it speaks to her being a politically conservative Cuban-American, though the show doesn’t seem to stress that part of her as much as they did in the beginning.

• Love 2

Yeah, Luca is totally That Guy who lectures everyone about how being a vegan is so awesome and how people who arent vegan are monsters, but also eats chicken nuggets on the sly. That is super on brand for him. 

Lots of laughs this week, I kept cracking up about the twins calling the vintage clothes "ghost" clothes, and Ana and Aaron trying to hide their hook ups, to varying degrees of success. And I liked Sky and Jazz realizing they dont have to agree on everything or do the same stuff just because they're sisters, but they can still support each other.

9 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Plz tell me it wasn't Marco Rubio.

Hehehe, Aaron possibly aside, its been long established that Ana has very questionable taste in men, like how she was kinda dating her uncle, and how she had a crush on Nomis goofy uncle...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

@Skyfall I'm not sure why you're hung up on this semester vs. quarter thing. If you want to assume semester, that's fine. Your assumption is based on every general university. While my assumption is a very reasonable one given the University of California school system uses it and this school seems to be similar to a UC campus. If you're not okay with that, then think what you want, but don't post reference links like I need to be educated about universities. That's unnecessarily condescending.

• Love 6

I thought it was a very good ep.  My favorite scenes were (like everyone else) the end with Luca getting caught eating wings and the scene in which Aaron and Vivek are messing with Doug.  Luca wearing Zoe's bathrobe was a funny as the low key wing eating.

I kinda/sorta get Ana and Aaron wanting to keep their... whatever it is that they're doing a secret from the rest of the group (especially Zoe), but I'm surprised they haven't progressed a bit further in their "relationship".  

Doug and Jazz seem like a perfect fit for each other because they've both been annoying as heck at times this season.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

@Skyfall I'm not sure why you're hung up on this semester vs. quarter thing. If you want to assume semester, that's fine. Your assumption is based on every general university. While my assumption is a very reasonable one given the University of California school system uses it and this school seems to be similar to a UC campus. If you're not okay with that, then think what you want, but don't post reference links like I need to be educated about universities. That's unnecessarily condescending.

Or you used the word “plenty” when 15% does not fall into the plenty category.

Luca was working my last nerve (again). Even though he's dating Zoe, that doesn't give him carte blanche to eat or drink whatever he wants out of his roommates' refrigerator. YOU DON"T LIVE HERE. THIS ISN'T YOUR STUFF. YOU DON'T PAY FOR THIS FOOD.

But even worse, he drank out of the orange juice container. That is so fucking rude!

I also HATED when he told Zoe that she can't be doing styling that isn't her. I'm sorry, dude, but being a stylist, a makeup artist, or a hairdresser means doing what your client wants, not dictating what you will be doing. To put it another way, if I went to a salon and said I wanted a trim and instead they colored my hair purple because "that's who I am as an artist," I would be pretty pissed. As a stylist, your job is to present your client with clothing and accessory options, not force them to wear ghost clothes and look like grandmas if that's not their look. You have to LISTEN to your client.

Jazz's boyfriend is also on my shit list. You don't like people looking at your girl? Well then you can fuck right off. I had a boyfriend say that once and I said, "Well, people are going to look at me no matter what so get used to it." I didn't even mean it in a highly self centered "I'm so hot" way either. I was young and thin and we lived in a beach city with warm weather where people wear shorts and tank tops most of the year. As a 19 year old girl in weather appropriate clothing, yes, guys were going to look at me. That's what happens when girls walk around anywhere near guys who are over the age of 12. I wasn't about to start wearing turtlenecks in the hopes that it would make less of them look at me. Your insecurity-based jealousy is not my problem.

Jazz's boyfriend then made me even angrier when he blamed her for being groped by a guy. Sorry, dude, even if she posted naked pictures, it's still not her fault. The fault lies with the guy who grabbed her ass. He was a step away from asking a rape victim what she was wearing. Nope.

On a related note, Jazz was correct in pointing out that what she was wearing in that photo covered more than a bathing suit. I wanted to high five Jazz when she said that her boyfriend thinks it's okay for him to look at scantily clad lingerie models on IG but somehow he thinks that it's not okay for her to post a picture of herself in an outfit that was about the same size as a regular track and field competition uniform.

I liked that Sky finally spoke up for herself and said that she didn't want to do any more sexy photos. It must be hard to tell your twin that you don't want to do absolutely everything together anymore.

Luca the hypocritical faux vegan was totally on brand for his pretentious ass. I was so glad when Nomi let me know that she knew he ate her chicken wings.

Since the Johnson family has been so strapped for cash, how was Zoe able to afford all those racks of clothes for the twins to look at? It's not like she has a job. I had to laugh when she was whining about how that one picture was destroying her brand. Girl, no one knows who you are so you don't have a brand. When she later said she didn't want to get fired by her first client, I thought well, are the twins actually paying you to do this?

I'm not 100% up to date on NCAA regulations, but what kind of endorsements could the twins get without losing their eligibility? I know it's a big deal for Olympic gymnasts to decide whether to accept endorsements because if they do, they can't get get scholarships or compete on the collegiate level.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm not 100% up to date on NCAA regulations, but what kind of endorsements could the twins get without losing their eligibility? I know it's a big deal for Olympic gymnasts to decide whether to accept endorsements because if they do, they can't get get scholarships or compete on the collegiate level.

Google tells me that an NCAA athlete can own a business as long as they don't reference their University or sport of choice.  So I guess the twins are trying to gain enough followers to be social media influencers (hate that word!) and get that #ad money.

I really wanted a scene with Zoey & Jazz where they clear the air. If not for them at least for me cause I'm still a little mad about it. 🙂 Even the theme song annoys me now.

Luca drinking from the juice bottle was gross but he put the empty wings container back in the fridge! That kind of stuff drives me crazy.

• Love 2

This might have been the best episode this season. I was wondering if sex still sells and I guess it still lives on Instagram. Jazz’s photos do not give guys the right to harass her or her boyfriend act all possessive. I really did not like the last pic Zoey was so proud of and though Jazz’s body looked strange.

• Love 1

S2.E9: Body Count

When Zoey sees that Luca's exhibit at the CalU Arts Fair dominantly features one of his ex-girlfriends, it sends her into a spiral of wanting to know more about his past. Nomi takes Professor Hewson's advice and tries to learn more about the queer community on campus.

Original air date: 2/20/19

• Love 1

#1 question Zoe should have asked Luca when she first saw the painting: When did he paint it?  If before he was with Zoe, it's none of her business. If since she and Luca have been a couple, then she has to have a conversation with him

Did she not think Luca had dated before?

So, Nomi's professor is trying to get with her.  I hope she loses her job.

And unless Nomi is using Zoe's laptop, she also was taking and dropped Design Studio?  And is getting a  C- minus in American History? I wonder how she is doing in chemistry.  These kids spend so much time on drugs and their sex lives, it will be a miracle if any of them graduate with a GPA that will lead to a career.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

I found that really creepy. I hope they drop it or take it in another direction. 

I assume they're going to go the route of them having a relationship, and the others giving their opinions about whether it's ok or not, if it would be different if the professor were male, etc.  Some colleges don't allow any "fraternizing" between professors and students, and others limit it to students who are actually in the professor's class.  No decent college would allow a professor to hit on a student whom she is giving a grade to!  However, this college has also hired Charlie as Dean of Students, so my hopes are not high.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Poor Xavier. #Xavierstrong 

The advice that Ana gave for her Instagram deep dive was hilariously real to so many people. So many people just go to town stalking their significant others and their exs online, and doing this whole full on investigation into who likes what. So it looks like Aaron and Ana are moving on and up! That picture on Instagram of little Ana in her Bush/Chaney hat! 

I mean, I can kind of see both sides of Zoe and Luca and their stuff with his exs. On the one hand, he probably should have at least let Zoe know that he was putting up on intimate picture of an ex in his art exhibit. On the other hand, its not like Luca was supposed to be a monk before he met Zoe, and it seems like he and his exs mostly ended things well, so thats a good sign! Personally, I follow most of my exs online, and its not a big deal. 

I mean, one of my exs has a corgi! I cant give up adorable corgi pics just because of a break up! 

Is Nomis teacher hitting on her? Because thats super sketchy, even if Nomi is an adult. Nomi clearly sees her as a mentor/teacher, and her moving in one her is just skeevy, no matter the genders involved. Maybe the next "issue" episode will be debating student/teacher relationships in college?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I mean, I can kind of see both sides of Zoe and Luca and their stuff with his exs. On the one hand, he probably should have at least let Zoe know that he was putting up on intimate picture of an ex in his art exhibit.

So we should believe this is the first thing that Zoey has seen any of Luca's art and Luca didn't ask Zoey's opinion on what pieces he should include in the art exhibit.

• Love 3

I’m of the belief that nothing is to be gained by asking for a “body count.” Assume it’s more than one (unless you know you’re the first) and less than a million, get tested, and keep it moving.

I think they’re going there with the professor too. Maybe they’ll have Nomi try it & the professor stop it.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I’m of the belief that nothing is to be gained by asking for a “body count.” Assume it’s more than one (unless you know you’re the first) and less than a million, get tested, and keep it moving.

The time for a body count is before you start sleeping together. That is also the time to get tested.

• Love 1

At first I thought the deep dive was the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  Maybe these people should pay more attention to their schoolwork and less to stalking people in social media.

Maybe deep dive makes sense today.  I went to college before the World Wide Web and social media.  Back then people didn't have access to as many people as they do today.  The only way to meet someone was to meet them, face to face.  I can hook up with someone tomorrow that I meet on Instagram/Twitter/Snap Chat today.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Maybe deep dive makes sense today. 

Oh it most definitely does...I have been dived upon by a girl who was getting to know me.. And it was startling  how many connections she made to me and my extended circle.. And I'm not even that big on social media... Especially for my age... 

• Love 1

For me the issue isn't that Luca has ex-girlfriends. It's the bullshit line he gave Zoey about how he doesn't want to discuss his past. I'm all for living in the new and looking toward the future but Zoey isn't some one night stand who's being nosy and digging through his medicine cabinet while he's asleep in the other room. Zoey is his girlfriend so I don't think it's unreasonable that she wants to know about his past relationships, especially when the way she found out about this one was seeing a sensuous picture of his ex at an art show.

If Luca had told her ahead of time, "By the way, one of the pieces that I'm going to have at the art show is of an ex. I did it while we were dating but we broke up over a year ago. We're still friends but I haven't seen her for a while. Do you want to take a look at this picture and the other ones I'm planning to show?" then I think their conversations would have been different. But by not giving her a heads up beforehand and then acting like any information about his past is off limits, Luca is the one who established a weird tone.

The fact that he later OH SO GENEROUSLY said she could ask him anything made me roll my eyes. I'm not an especially nosy person, but I think I should be able to ask a boyfriend anything at all times meaning unless there is a national security issue or major PTSD involved, asking questions about someone's past shouldn't be off limits when you're in a serious/monogamous/committed relationship. I hated that he acted like he was giving her permission and it was this big gift. I'm not saying that Zoey should interrogate him or anything, just that she shouldn't have to pry these bits of information from him.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

asking questions about someone's past shouldn't be off limits when you're in a serious/monogamous/committed relationship. I hated that he acted like he was giving her permission and it was this big gift. I'm not saying that Zoey should interrogate him or anything, just that she shouldn't have to pry these bits of information from him.

He is only what 19 and had lots of partners. Just think how many of those people (men and/or women) were from the college wandering around Zoe all the time. If you think Zoey was having panic attacks before, what will this do to her fragile ego.