Type keyword(s) to search

Previous Episodes Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Nothing beyond S02.E15 in here please. See forum for individual episode topics from S02.E16 onwards.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, jhlipton said:

It's a way the schools cheat the athletes again.  By turning a blind eye to the cheating, they don't require that the athletes get the skills the need, whether they make it to "The Bigs" or not.

But given the background they gave Cash he only needs to get to March and then he goes to the NBA. So the trading of skills is not actually for an education but as an audition 

I think this is my favorite episode so far.

First, can I say, that Zoey's entire look i just really fabulous.  I loved that blue & white color block  dress, and then that really cute pantsuit, every single hairstyle.  What I would have given to rock such looks when I was in college.  I mean, back in my day I was a baby fashionista but tv Zoey is some next level shit.

Second, I LOVED the quick dive into D1 sports and how much revenue for schools college sports make and how little of that is really apportioned to the athletes.   It is such a racket. The schools bring in millions and millions of dollars all on the backs of the athletes who see none of the money.  Essentially the sport is their work-study job and they aren't getting paid for it.

Third, I also loved the little dive into the 'B' part of LGBTQ.  I thought it was skillful how much they were able to mine about the differing attitudes about bisexuality in such a short set of scenes.  I hope they continue to do stuff like that.

And fourth, oh man Zoey not being able to play Bop It.  The outtakes made her feel very Bow like.

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

First, can I say, that Zoey's entire look i just really fabulous.  I loved that blue & white color block  dress, and then that really cute pantsuit, every single hairstyle.  What I would have given to rock such looks when I was in college.  I mean, back in my day I was a baby fashionista but tv Zoey is some next level shit.

I love her fashion as well!  The first thing I did after that episode was look up the striped, mock turtleneck, crop sweater.....only $150 (and that's on sale, about 40% off!).  Still deciding whether I want to shell out the cash on it because it looked so cute and I know it would look awesome on me.

• Love 3

On the "product placement" side, Yara and Teen Vogue certainly have a very symbiotic relationship.  She supports them, and makes sure they get positive mentions in the show; they support her and the show.

• Love 2

I had thought that Yara was going to college herself next year.  Not so fast, says USA Today:

Here's one way to tell your TV star that her show is getting renewed: Put her in a panel presentation and casually work the bit of news into your onstage conversation.

That's how Yara Shahidi, star of Freeform's Grown-ish, learned that she was getting a second season of her Black-ish spin-off.

Looking forward, Shahidi has a lot to be excited for another season of her college-set comedy: For one, Barris said that he wants her in the writers room, which is exciting; the Grown-ish group text chain that started during the table read is still going strong; and Shahidi wants her show to continue to push her peers to have tough conversations, like one she recently had about prescription drugs.

Thanks, @paulvdb for the tip.

9 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I love her fashion as well!  The first thing I did after that episode was look up the striped, mock turtleneck, crop sweater.....only $150 (and that's on sale, about 40% off!).  Still deciding whether I want to shell out the cash on it because it looked so cute and I know it would look awesome on me.

Link please!

I loved this ep. It was firing on all cylinders.

I really like Nomi's new boyfriend so I hope he sticks around.

50 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Link please!

Worn on TV is usually my go to site for seen-on-TV fashion.  I discovered it when I was desperately trying to track down the boots worn by Gabby during the first season of Young & Hungry (now I own 2 pairs!).  Outfits from this episode can be found here.     

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

What magazine did Dre get Zoey an internship at on Black-ish? I think that reference would be more relevant than the Dean of your college for Teen Vogue.

That was also Teen Vogue (see my comment above about the synergy between the magazine and Yara), which means that either the Dean's letter really wasn't needed, or that the internship didn't occur in the Grown-ish universe.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, DearEvette said:

I think this is my favorite episode so far.

Second, I LOVED the quick dive into D1 sports and how much revenue for schools college sports make and how little of that is really apportioned to the athletes.   It is such a racket. The schools bring in millions and millions of dollars all on the backs of the athletes who see none of the money.  Essentially the sport is their work-study job and they aren't getting paid for it.

Third, I also loved the little dive into the 'B' part of LGBTQ.  I thought it was skillful how much they were able to mine about the differing attitudes about bisexuality in such a short set of scenes.  I hope they continue to do stuff like that.

And fourth, oh man Zoey not being able to play Bop It.  The outtakes made her feel very Bow like.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:18 AM, luckyroll3 said:

On 1/19/2018 at 6:24 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Link please!

I loved this ep. It was firing on all cylinders.

I really like Nomi's new boyfriend so I hope he sticks around.

Lord, Zoey fashion is always on point and she wears everything so well.  She is not just a chick who follows the trends, she is the trend and everyone else is just playing catch up.  I usually roll my eyes when TV have the pretty girls be interested in fashion and they look so generic (see Modern Family's Hailey), but Zoey is the perfect type of person to work in that industry.

• Love 5

Let me start by saying my college years were 1990-1995.  The first 3 episodes were pretty aliens with the drug and casual hook up culture (depending on your definition of hookup).

The bi discussion threw me.  I was part of a group in college where bi/straight/gay/whatever was the normal male and female.  Everyone is our group either slept or lived with each other or both.  Someone even made chart.  I dated and slept with a guy for 6 months who was bi and had a male boyfriend at the same time.  Just all part of life.  It really surprised me that male bi's are still looked at with suspiscion or skepticison or not "a real thing" in 2017.

Otherwise this episode was great.  I think this is the one that brings in it, not trying too hard to be all 2017.

• Love 1

Oh, everyone's hypocrisy regarding the "B" in the "LGBT" was really incisive.  Nomi's girlfriend's condescension and rejection of Nomi for being bi followed by Nomi and the gang being weirded out by her new guy's bisexuality was pretty great.  A lot of gay people (of whom I am one) do often seem to look down on bisexuals as if it's just a phase (usually with bi women) or a stepping stone to coming out as gay (usually with bi men), and it especially seems like a lot of bi men are dismissed as gay and unwilling to come out fully; the looks on everyone's faces when he said he was bi seemed to indicate that, and I love that it exposed Nomi's hypocrisy, in particular.

I agree with everyone's comments about Zoe's outfits: faaaaaabulous!!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, fredfreddy44 said:

Just all part of life.  It really surprised me that male bi's are still looked at with suspiscion or skepticison or not "a real thing" in 2017.

Totally anecdotal, but the reason this felt very real to me in because in my circle of friends of which do include straight, gay and bi folks we've have the discussion of biphobia within the gay community.  This was definitely an eye opener to me because of course I thought within the community they were much more in the know about non hetero sexuality than us straights.  But  apparently while some people theoretically accept bisexuality, there is this knee jerk reaction amongst them that in the end all things are binary.  So you have to be one or the other -- gay or straight.  If you are bi then you are just experimenting until you really decide.  So yeah, surprised to be schooled that this attitude isn't limited to the straight people, but also exists in the LGBTQ community who, one would think, should know better.  But people are gonna people. 

One of my bi female friends who is married to a guy, gets very frustrated about this.  Before she married her husband, one of her lesbian friends outright told her it would not last, she was just killing time until she found the right woman to finally settle down with (she's been married to her man or 10 years and they are pretty damned solid).  Another lesbian friend felt 'betrayed.'  They had been completely fine with her identifying as bi until she up and married a guy! So when Nomi's girlfriend reacted the way she did, I understood.  Nomi's reaction also did not surprise me either.    My bi friend told me that for years she always felt that bi men were just  gay men who still had had at least one foot in the closet.  She told me that after all the stuff went down with her friends when she got married she really had to stop and check her own attitude. One of my straight friends said she'd never trust a bi guy in a relationship because she'd always be wondering if he secretly really wanted to be with a guy instead, she'd always be waiting for him to come out.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 6
On 1/19/2018 at 7:21 PM, luckyroll3 said:

Worn on TV is usually my go to site for seen-on-TV fashion.  I discovered it when I was desperately trying to track down the boots worn by Gabby during the first season of Young & Hungry (now I own 2 pairs!).  Outfits from this episode can be found here.     

Thanks!

I was in college in the 80s and made a choice to NOT do the dorm thing and had my own apartment.  I also made a choice to NOT date at school and kept my dating life to myself.  I made the choice to NOT have parties at my apartment.  Basically, I don't like my worlds colliding and since I had to work while going to school I made school a priority and not socializing.  I did go to parties at some other people's houses or dorms and dated quite a bit.  I had tons of school friends of all races, nationalities and sexual orientations.  Wayne State University is a very diverse school and I loved it.

The bi conversation was interesting.  One of my friends was gay and then had a sex change and still wanted to date men but was shocked that straight men didn't really want a trans person.  Remember this was in the 80s.  Her heartbreak was overwhelming and I had no words of comfort other than she was a great person with a high paying job that had no problem with her transition.  Conversely, before the transition he had a long time boyfriend who did not want to continue dating after the transition.  I can see all views and that would be a good discussion too.

The sport angle was interesting too.  Seeing that, obviously, stand-in was eye opening.  I can see it being done in a hall class of like 100 students but in a regular classroom the stand-in would really stand out.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 2

I think this might be my favorite episode of the show so far. I really liked that they focus went away from Luca and Aaron for a bit. It is only been three episodes and I am already tired of them. Cash is a likable character and I hope he stays around for a bit. 

Nice episode.  Besides Cash, the guys really do not work for me.  Willow Smith and whatever the other one is could be gone and I really would not notice.  Some of the reviews even forgot that Vivek was on the show.  It definitely does not seem real that they are all supposed to be so close.

Edited by qtpye

I really enjoyed this one. On a shallow note Cash is adorable, and on a deeper note he seems like a nice enough guy. I loved the conversation that he and Zoey had in the car. I appreciated the honesty on both sides. I hope he sticks around for awhile. 

I was irritated with Nomi on the whole bisexuality front, especially since Big Dave seemed cool. I understand where she's coming from, but he was totally right when he told her it was about her own insecurity not his sexuality. I know this is very real issue within the community and I'm interested in seeing exactly where this goes. At least Nomi recognizes she's being a hypocrite. 

My number one issue continues to be the pacing. We skip weeks at a time it seems and it robs us of fall out. Like Lucas and Aaron seemed peeved about the whole juggling both of them thing two episodes ago, yet neither of them seems mad at her any more. I know their relationships weren't particularly serious (or at least didn't seem that way), but I'd expect them to be a bit more angry/hurt since they're all supposed to be so close in general. And she did lie to them regardless of whether or not exclusivity was explicitly discussed. Similar issue was present in this episode. Zoey looked uncomfortable with Cash's willingness to go along with the cheating and taking advantage of the perks from being a huge star, but this episode we didn't discuss it at all. In fact, once again weeks have passed so if she did have a problem apparently it was totally resolved off screen and now she and Cash are just totally in a relationship. Everything feels so rushed. 

Doesn't affect my enjoyment too much once I get into the episode, but it does still bother me. 

• Love 6
On 1/20/2018 at 7:12 PM, fredfreddy44 said:

Let me start by saying my college years were 1990-1995.  The first 3 episodes were pretty aliens with the drug and casual hook up culture (depending on your definition of hookup).

The bi discussion threw me.  I was part of a group in college where bi/straight/gay/whatever was the normal male and female.  Everyone is our group either slept or lived with each other or both.  Someone even made chart.  I dated and slept with a guy for 6 months who was bi and had a male boyfriend at the same time.  Just all part of life.  It really surprised me that male bi's are still looked at with suspiscion or skepticison or not "a real thing" in 2017.

Otherwise this episode was great.  I think this is the one that brings in it, not trying too hard to be all 2017.

I was in college in the 80's and also had a quite diverse friends group.  I dated a bi woman for a couple of years.  She had been quite active in the gay rights and feminists groups on campus her freshman year, but pretty much got tossed out of the former after she started dating me.  Even when she dated another woman for much of our senior year (after we broke up), some of the lesbians still wouldn't accept her, or any of the other bi women for that matter.  The irony is that the only couple I knew from college that is still together all these years later are two of those bi women who were also initially ostracized by the more radical lesbians on campus.  According to my former college girlfriend (with whom I'm still in touch), I understand that the couple still consider themselves bi, even though neither one has dated a guy since they got together over 30 years ago.

Conversely, one of my housemates junior year was a bi guy.  He never had any similar problems with the gay guys on campus, even though he was in a relationship with a bi woman almost the entire four years.  It was a semi-open relationship in which they were both also allowed to date others from their own gender and he did manage to work his way through a lot of those guys.  I don't even remember him having problems with the straight guys either, other than some envy because his girlfriend was insanely hot.  It probably helped that he was just plain really likable. 

I have no personal knowledge of how things are these days, beyond one younger relative who considers herself pan and seems to be well respected and accepted by the LGBT groups in which she has participated, going back to when she helped form a GSA in her high school just a few years ago. 

In any case, I thought this was easily the best episode so far.  They dealt with some important issues and still had me laughing most of the way through.  As a former college athlete, I got a particular kick out of the scene where the twins sneak food out of the bar.  I can certainly remember doing that.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 2

I feel like the constant jumping in time is starting to give me whiplash. One second she and Cash are just study buddies, and the next they're an official couple? Slow down for a second, show! Some of us are trying to keep up!

Other than that, still really liking the show. Cash seems like a good guy, and he and Zoe are cute together. I liked their whole conversation in the car, it was super honest without being callus or unfair. I still think Cash cheating on his school work is going to be a problem at some point. I get why he is desperate to keep his college career going, but the other shoe is going to drop eventually, especially if they keep up the Cash/Zoe relationship. 

Nomi clearly has some insecurity issues to deal with, glad that her guy called her out for her issues. I really like the complexity with the LGBTQ community and the issues within it, hypocrisies and all. I hope he comes back at some point, he seems like a really cool guy. At least Nomi is aware that its her issues, and not his. 

I cracked up at Zoe turning into a second Zoe to insult all of her friends, and how he insulted Aaron so badly she had to buy him a spa day! Damn Zoe. And then Vivek being super scared of Zoe insulting him, only for her to say happy birthday...and throw in a passive aggressive birthday gift. 

• Love 4

I liked this episode as it portrays someone dating a high profile sportsman in college.  The scene with Cash's dad was interesting as I recall at least one one athlete who went through the same thing with his parents selling all his stuff.

Poor Vivec and his party.

The bi discussion - I don't have anything to add but am interested in the discussion.

If they were going to use Dre for a fake flashback to prove how Zoe is great at the silent treatment, why couldn't they have a scene to him reacting to her dating Cash. Cash is considered to be potential #1 draft pick in the NBA, has over 100000 followers and is dating Dre's favorite child. No one way would he not be offering his opinions on that matter.

• Love 4
On 1/25/2018 at 1:19 AM, viajero said:

According to my former college girlfriend (with whom I'm still in touch), I understand that the couple still consider themselves bi, even though neither one has dated a guy since they got together over 30 years ago.

I get why they consider themselves bi because they are bi and have found love with each other.  Interesting that the bi guy didn't have the same experience but I agree with you that being likable is probably key.

I looked up pan and want to thank you for the new knowledge.  I was raised in a liberal house and was taught the Kinsey scale and to this day I think it best represents the fluidity, or rigidness, of ones sexuality.

I didn't mind so much the transition from the previous episode to this one re: her relationship with Cash  as it showed the quick-cuts to the development of the relationship to get us up to speed. But I would have liked to see also how the fall-out between her trying to juggle Aaron and Luca happened.  They seemed to have Suddenly Luca is just her friend again and we seem to have completely forgotten she was all into Aaron.  I need some closure on how those two relationships evolved into what they are now.  Also hate that we didn't get any follow up on Zoey's pill usage. Did Freeform interfere like some networks do and have some stuff air out of order?   It has a 13 episode order this season but was renewed for 20 episodes next season.  So I wonder is Kenya Barris just not used to show-running a 13 episode season and can't pace it well?

I do like Cash though and It would be nice if he was Zoey's stable boyfriend for awhile.

I am glad she isn't with Aaron.  His "No offense  but..." qualifiers just make me roll  my eyes.  I do like how the twins clap back 'Offense completely taken." Ha!

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 9:29 AM, jhlipton said:

On the "product placement" side, Yara and Teen Vogue certainly have a very symbiotic relationship.  She supports them, and makes sure they get positive mentions in the show; they support her and the show.

Just saw that Elaine Welteroth is listed as a writer of this episode.  She is the Editor in Chief of Teen Vogue. 

Rainbow is SUCH a jerk.

Zoey & Cash's breakup was surprisingly moving.

I'm so happy Zoey's friends confronted her about her self involvement.

The Twins deserve their own spinoff with Aaron as their Wacky Neighbor.

• Love 5

Cash and Zoe breaking up was realistic, but sad. Cash is a decent guy, but he is really impulsive and that causes him to do things he regrets later. 

Zoe's friends telling her how self centered she has been was great, because its totally true, and has been true since Black-ish. Hopefully this will be a wake up call to focus more on other people, and not so much on herself and/or her boyfriend of the week. It was really sweet how Nomi still stuck around to comfort her after the break up though, even when she was pissed off at her. 

I love the Twins. But I think my favorite line was "Its 9! The sad day drinkers are still here" before cutting to the Dean sadly drinking an umbrella drink. 

• Love 7
On 1/22/2018 at 1:59 PM, jumper sage said:

The sport angle was interesting too.  Seeing that, obviously, stand-in was eye opening.  I can see it being done in a hall class of like 100 students but in a regular classroom the stand-in would really stand out.

It can be just that conspicuous. I know a guy who couldn't get the minimum SAT scores to get a college football scholarship. A booster paid for him to go to boarding school and basically study for the SATs for a year. His scores still continued to be terrible. He miraculously got a 1200 (this was in the 1600 point years) on the last possible testing date before a new school year started. He was not there in the testing room on that day.

I had a friend who was teaching freshman English at a D1 school. At the end of the semester, she had to fail a bunch of the basketball players because they rarely came to class or did the assignments. When she turned in her grades, the school regraded the athletes against her wishes.

I have a cousin who coaches college basketball. Her stories are crazy. She's talked about families getting houses, cars, for show jobs as bribes to get a kid to a certain university over another.

On 1/18/2018 at 6:24 PM, jhlipton said:

It's a way the schools cheat the athletes again.  By turning a blind eye to the cheating, they don't require that the athletes get the skills the need, whether they make it to "The Bigs" or not.

This is the biggest crock of the whole college scholarship racket. Their sports training and playing schedules are so rigorous that the kids barely have an opportunity to really learn and study. And because of that, kids don't have the understanding to pass the class. So the university aids and abets the cheating. I've been advocating a system that allows the student to bank 5 years worth of education for up to 10 years. So that the kid gets the opportunity to fully focus on education unencumbered by pull of athletics. 

On 1/19/2018 at 7:52 AM, DearEvette said:

Noted costume designer Patricia Field (Sex and the City) has been a disaster over on Younger and the press cannot stop covering her garbage work like it's amazing. Michelle Cole is doing fantastic work on this show and is barely getting any press. Zoey's wardrobe is fantastic.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6
On 1/31/2018 at 9:33 PM, Artsda said:

I love how realistic Cash and Zoey have been. Sad to see them break up already but it was so well done, He's a character that should be on contract. 

On 2/1/2018 at 11:59 AM, tennisgurl said:

Cash and Zoe breaking up was realistic, but sad. Cash is a decent guy, but he is really impulsive and that causes him to do things he regrets later. 

Zoe's friends telling her how self centered she has been was great, because its totally true, and has been true since Black-ish. Hopefully this will be a wake up call to focus more on other people, and not so much on herself and/or her boyfriend of the week. It was really sweet how Nomi still stuck around to comfort her after the break up though, even when she was pissed off at her. 

I love the Twins. But I think my favorite line was "Its 9! The sad day drinkers are still here" before cutting to the Dean sadly drinking an umbrella drink. 

I am really liking this show.  I knew Zoey would not follow cash, because she is the star and this show is about college, not following your basketball star boyfriend all over the country.  I did think Zoey and Cash had great chemistry and hope that actor comes back.

How good did TER look in that color block dress?  I thought, her clothes as Joan on Girlfriends was great, but I hope she shows up on Grownish once in a while looking fly.

Love the twins.  Those two actresses are adorable.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 7

I don’t get why it had to be all or nothing for Cash and Zoey? Long distance relationships are a lot more realistic these days with all of the technology available. I’m sure Cash wouldn’t have been the first athlete to go pro and their girlfriend continues on with college. It was pretty selfish of him to ask her to drop everything for him. Maybe they can both mature some and get back together later. I’m glad Bow and Zoey’s friends called her out for having her priorities out of whack. It’s not cool that she wants everyone to listen to her problems, but she doesn’t have time for theirs. 

I also like the twins and would like to see more of their back story and relationships. 

• Love 3

I hated Rainbow & Zoey's 'talk.'

Rainbow asserting that Zoey would be 'throwing her life away' if she chose to follow Cash is the height of hypocrisy from a woman who virtually hissed at her own husband for suggesting she become a SAHM.

This episode made me realize that the reason why I can't decide if I fully love this show or not is because I'm just not a fan of Zoey. I love her clothes and sometimes I enjoy her, but mostly I just find her insufferable. I'm also not that enamored by Yara. I thought she was terrible in all the emotional scenes.

I really love all the other characters though and pretty much everything else about the show.

• Love 2

I thought this was a great episode to showcase how completely stupid you can be at 18 and in the throes of first love, 'true' love.

It also underscored the incredible privilege Zoey had growing up.  Only people who do not know what a privilege it is to a) get into college and b) afford to go to college without caring about the cost it took to get there would even consider throwing it away to follow a guy you met a nanosecond ago to who the hell knows where.  What a contrast to the twins who know college is their only way out and they don't have two nickels to rub together.  Zoey isn't thinking about money (because she's never had to) and is willing to just follow this guy not even thinking through the practicalities.  What does she expect her parents to pay for her road trip to wherever?  Is Cash supposed to?  What if he flames out?  What if he gets caught up in the celeb life and drops her?  Does she have no ambitions for herself? 

I wish Bow had pulled a Claire Huxtable on Zoey.  Claire telling Denise she can take her little bit money in her bank account and go 'discover America' is one of the best scenes from the Cosby show and one of my favorite scenes of a parent telling a child they will no longer support them if they don't pull in the attitude.

I guess it was just another way to showcase her selfishness which I am glad Nomi called her on. 

I do like Zoey as the center, but having so many shows narrow focus on her dating life, is actually becoming a bit redundant.  There are so many other stories they can begin to mine from college life, not just Zoey's love life.  Although losing the big 'V' is rather a milestone.

Now that Cash is gone (I guess) I want them to start  focusing on the lives of the other characters a bit more.  I enjoyed the subplot with the twins and actually wish the show would move more into an ensemble a bit.  I am really anxious to see more about Nomi's dating issues and I want to see Vivek get some sort of story.

On the fashion front, I loved all of he gold/copper/silver combo earrings Zoey has been wearing in this and the last epsiode.  It looks like the costume designer got her hands on a collection of earrings from the same designer and really liked them.  But I have to say I thought the distressed black/white sweater with the mustard pants was one of the worst outfits she's worn.  It was edgy but it was also really unflattering.

• Love 6
On 2/1/2018 at 9:08 PM, qtpye said:

I knew Zoey would not follow cash, because she is the star and this show is about college

Oh you!  How very pragmatic of you.  I did not catch on but you are right.

17 hours ago, DearEvette said:

thought this was a great episode to showcase how completely stupid you can be at 18 and in the throes of first love, 'true' love.

Right?

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked that Zoey had sex for the first time but that the entire episode didn't center around it.

I liked it too.  It is good to see kids waiting for sex when they are more mature to handle it.  I hated Bow's dress but liked how she applauded the kids use of protection.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

I liked it too.  It is good to see kids waiting for sex when they are more mature to handle it.  I hated Bow's dress but liked how she applauded the kids use of protection.

I also really liked that when Zoey said she'd had sex with Cash, Bow didn't yell at her, tell her that she wasn't ready/old enough, etc. I'm not saying that parents necessarily should encourage their kids to have sex ("Go do it now!") but it was really nice to see a parent accept it without being judgmental or angry about it. Bow seemed a combination of wistful, happy, and almost proud which I think is a much healthier and mature reaction than we usually see on tv when parents find out that their kids are having sex. I thought Bow handled that better than she handled Diane getting her period.

• Love 12

It kinda reminds me of the parents on Black Lightning.  The youngest daughter announced that she is going to have sex for the first time with her boyfriend on their next date.  The parents are all " Uh, wonderful you being so open and telling us and getting condoms. Yay?" and inwardly "Gah!  I am not sure I am as enlightened as I pretend I am with her being so open and telling us. But at least she is using condoms. Yay?"  

• Love 7
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I also really liked that when Zoey said she'd had sex with Cash, Bow didn't yell at her, tell her that she wasn't ready/old enough, etc. I'm not saying that parents necessarily should encourage their kids to have sex ("Go do it now!") but it was really nice to see a parent accept it without being judgmental or angry about it. Bow seemed a combination of wistful, happy, and almost proud which I think is a much healthier and mature reaction than we usually see on tv when parents find out that their kids are having sex. I thought Bow handled that better than she handled Diane getting her period.

9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked that Zoey had sex for the first time but that the entire episode didn't center around it.

7 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Oh you!  How very pragmatic of you.  I did not catch on but you are right.

Right?

I am so glad it was handled so maturely.  I remember the Cosby show when Cliff asked Denise's husband if she was a virgin when she got married and actually did a happy dance when he said yes...shudders.

• Love 6