Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

4 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Anytime I hear Carmen all I think about is the absolutely brilliant Hey Arnold! opera episode. One of my all-time favorites and just a masterpiece all around. When Helga takes over as Carmen gets me every time.

"Ruth? Humph! Just like I stated, she's overrated, a big no-brainer with ENORMOUS feet! Why not forget her? I'm so much better- my name's Carm-Helga and I'm awfully sweet!" 

If anyone ever skated to this rendition I would absolutely die of joy. <3

There's an Animaniacs short where Yakko, Wakko and Dot heckle an opera singer doing Carmen.  Say what you will about Carmen, overdone in figure skating but it makes for great cartoons.

• Love 5

Question for the scoring experts out there: does it make sense that a fall gets the same point deduction whether it’s in the short or long program, making it a more significant deduction, percentage-wise, in the short than the long? 

I keep going back and forth on this, as, on the one hand, it seems it should be increased to have a greater effect on the long program (I.e., a fall should have a greater mandatory deduction in the long to even equal the impact it has on the score as losing one point on the short).

But, on the other, there are that many more opportunities and reasons to fall in the long (and one fall can be better eclipsed by an otherwise stellar program), whereas a single fall in the short is a greater percentage of the program to begin with and affects the overall experience more significantly, so maybe that is an equitable as well as equal distribution. (And, as the points are simply added and the placement in each program is no longer relevant, save for the groupings in the final (and the not-acknowledged impact on judging that can have) and the less measurable effect it has on an individual athlete’s mental approach heading into it, maybe it’s mathematically irrelevant anyway?).

Can the Scoring Smart Peeps tell me what to think, please? Kthnx.

Well, I gave it the old college try tonight.  Turned on the Olympics channel, saw Johnny's latest weird coif, and heard Terry immediately start talking about the two Russians (using, of course, their last names and pronouncing them just like Johnny does).  And that was all I needed to grab the remote and turn it off.  Can't believe I'm not going to watch Ladies but I.Just.Can't.  It's way too boring these days + I have no interest in backloaders (or frontloaders).  IMO, that's not what figure skating is supposed to be.  So, for me this Olympics, it's really been mostly ice dancing and Pairs LP + 6-Quad Chen's LP.  

• Love 2

Skating must truly be a very insular world because anyone who skates to Carmen at this point has no real world awareness at all. It’s not like these girls who look like children could ever be taken seriously acting the role of Carmen. Katarina Vitt looked like a woman but even her program was ridiculous with all the mugging and hand waving.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Anytime I hear Carmen all I think about is the absolutely brilliant Hey Arnold! opera episode. One of my all-time favorites and just a masterpiece all around. When Helga takes over as Carmen gets me every time.

Me too! But as good as Helga's rendition is I like Curley's version of the Toreador Song. 

As far as Nathan goes, I don’t think he and Orser would make a good match, for the simple fact that the latter does not seem to be a fan of hovering parents calling the shots on when and what their child will do in competition. If Nathan’s parents/family are truly that way it would clash, I think, with Brian’s coaching style. 

Well, Brian has the chops to impress the Chens ... having helped a KOREAN and a JAPANESE to Olympic gold medals (and don't think Asians aren't competitive with the other countries.  I remember when Arakawa won the gold in Turin and my Japanese sister-in-law said she wasn't all THAT popular in Japan because, well, she was HALF-KOREAN.)  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Bama said:

I'm picking up Carmen signals from her.

She's supposed to be using a song from Mission Impossible 2 but we'll see...

More Swan Lake, Moulin Rogue, and Papa Can You Hear Me on the way. Gold medal to anyone using different music!

• Love 1

I don't know if "The Prayer" has been used that often in figure skating competitions, but it feels like it has. Can we add it to the list of songs that should be banned on the basis that it seems very cliched?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Well, Brian has the chops to impress the Chens ... having helped a KOREAN and a JAPANESE to Olympic gold medals (and don't think Asians aren't competitive with the other countries.  I remember when Arakawa won the gold in Turin and my Japanese sister-in-law said she wasn't all THAT popular in Japan because, well, she was HALF-KOREAN.)  

Omg ... totally off topic but I once had a Korean roommate. The mother saw me often and refused to acknowledge my presence. I was literally a non-person to her. I asked my roommate why. "You're Chinese." 

According to Oly Phil, "Should Medvedeva or Zagitova win, it would be first gold for an OAR entry at @pyeongchang2018"

I hadn't even realized that. It HAS been a shitty Olympics, so far, for not-Russia. Will we get to hear the Olympic anthem if one of them wins? 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ChicksDigScars said:

According to Oly Phil, "Should Medvedeva or Zagitova win, it would be first gold for an OAR entry at @pyeongchang2018"

I hadn't even realized that. It HAS been a shitty Olympics, so far, for not-Russia. Will we get to hear the Olympic anthem if one of them wins? 

Yep.  No Russian anthem or flag.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Remember, they had one in curling and it got taken away for doping. Who dopes for curling?

Never mind  - that was bronze.

Edited by anniebird
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, anniebird said:

Remember, they had one in curling and it got taken away for doping. Who dopes for curling?

That was a bronze.  I think they have 12 medals, just no golds.

Edited by Omeletsmom
Commas =/= periods
10 minutes ago, alexa said:

Per an update on nbcsn the Americans aren’t on until the 1000 hour with the last one close to 1100. I guess I will miss the last group again. Thanks for such great coverage. Ugh

You're not actually wanting NBC to control South Korea's timezone? The only way the US girls would go earlier is if they had sucked harder. 

ETA at least a different cut of MR this time. So far. 

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, alexa said:

Per an update on nbcsn the Americans aren’t on until the 1000 hour with the last one close to 1100. I guess I will miss the last group again. Thanks for such great coverage. Ugh

It's a live even and NBC doesn't have any control over the skate order.

• Love 1

I don’t GET it.

I totally see both sides of the “Warhouse Music” coin (as much as I don’t need to hear Carmen On Ice for another three quads, I also understand why certain piano concertos or operas or ballets or plays are classics, tackled over and over again by both the best in the world and those ... working toward being good. I also appreciate a risk taker who tries the new or unexpected or innovative. And I really appreciate those who can do both.

But doing AC/DC and Carmen in the same competition? My brain does not compute. I am not a personal fan of AC/DC (or metal, in general), but I had to have serious love for the program (well, really, the costume; she’s beautiful but but just not a big enough skater/presence to pull the program as a whole off) just because of how strongly the costume, especially, flouted every convention of “ladies” (grrr) skating.

And, then, it was like, hey, all those cliches I thumbed my nose at in the short? Can we cram each and every one of them into the long? Like, the only thing she could have done to up the ante—and then I at least would have believed it was satire and it would have ironically made more sense in tandem with her short—were if she had done a Carmen-Swan Lake medley. (Although at least the dress was on the chic side of typical girly skater dress and not the overly bedazzled/feathery/garish side).

• Love 3