Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

<Terry and Tara joking about Eyes Wide Shut.>

Johnny:  I haven’t seen that film.

Haha.  You lost points with me, Johnny, in trashing AC/DC as skate music, but I can’t stay mad at you.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

So, I guess those are the dogs that aren't on the menu?

Epic fail, Mary.

I spent the whole segment cringing because of the dog-eating thing and wondering if they ate these type of dogs or not.

• Love 2

I usually want Johnny and Tara to shut up, but they both made me LOL during that Eyes Wide Shut program. Johnny with his "I haven't seen that film," and Tara remarking that they couldn't give her the password. I'm deceased.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I am 100% here for anyone skating to "Back in Black."

I was thinking about it today and I decided this would be my music if I was in the Olympics. Glad to see someone took my advice ?.

Edited by sab85
  • Love 7

Can't you get out a can of spray paint and change the color of your boots? 

Eta, I mean go for purple or orange or something if black is too manly. 

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 2

I mean is it too difficult to break in another pair of skates in an appropriately matching color? Too expensive? Are they restricted to white by the rules? 

Women -> more boot colors

Men -> less mesh 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 6

I'm catching up...loved the Australian's cute program, and the Hungarian.  Johnny, news to your twee little ears that were offended by hard rock, shaddup.  Beyonce is not the be all and end all to music.  It's fun to have a change up in the music, not everything is a cabaret my friend.  Of course, as it was pointed out prior, if it was a NotRussian song he'd be all over it.  I don't know if I can bear to listen to him exalt the NotRussian ladies tonight...

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Leather doesn't take well to spray paint. But I'm sure you can get a pair custom made in a different color. 

I think I've seen skaters with boot covers that allows them to "change" the color of the boot without taking drastic measures. It's basically a piece of cloth covering the boot in the color you want. I've mostly seen it in black. I think.

Nice program by the German.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

I mean is it too difficult to break in another pair of skates in an appropriately matching color? Too expensive? Are they restricted to white by the rules? 

Most women tend to wear white or beige skates, while men wear black but there are boot covers that you can put over your skates if you want the boots to match the outfit.  I've seen that before, especially during exhibitions, but in some competitions.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

No cuz some do nude which just look dirty. No one must manufacture them. Like no one apparently makes gymnastics booties in anything but white. 

I made a joke about Alexia Paganini's puffy sleeved outfit looking like Heidi before I realized that she was actually skating for Switzerland.

The scoring system seems to incentivize skaters attempting jumps they have no hope of landing.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Women -> more boot colors

Men -> less mesh 

Breaking in a new pair of skates is a BIG DEAL. Not practical to have separate pairs. 

• Love 6

I know this is elementary, but I am still amazed at how long these skaters can skate on one foot, while twisting and turning!   Also I am amazed at the spins, especially when they go faster and faster!  (How do they do that?). 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Thumper said:

I know this is elementary, but I am still amazed at how long these skaters can skate on one foot, while twisting and turning!   Also I am amazed at the spins, especially when they go faster and faster!  (How do they do that?). 

Physics. Pull your arms in tight and you go faster. 

The theme of this Olympics is: backless dresses

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Didn’t they use to require each routine to have a long spiral sequence?  Is that gone now?

They changed the required elements in the short programs after the 2009-10 season. They removed the spiral from the women’s required elements and the second footwork sequence from the men’s.

Edited by specialj67

Poor Lindsay Vonn. At least she got the bronze I think, but must be hard when something you've done your whole life is no longer an option. 

BOT - I wasn't impressed with the last skater. Surprised Bradi has held on to first thing long. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I hate the spins where they grab their skate, but I seriously don’t understand holding their skate to their ear.  When did the spins get so ugly?!

I think any spin done well with no traveling is a thing of beauty...except for that Air Tuchus one.  I just find it straight up ugly.  It makes one look like a bent paper clip. 

• Love 3