Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I think they are the future in Canadian skating.  But they need to be all in for the next four years if they have any chance to medal in Beijing. 

Yep, and Skate Canada, not always the most astute of federations, needs to throw their weight behind them stat.

Edited by herbz
2 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

These costumes for the Italian pair look like a parody of figure skating costumes.

They also have a Blades of Glory vibe. The fact that they are both in jumpsuits doesn't help. 

blades of glory.jpg

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, herbz said:

Yep, and Skate Canada, not always the most astute of federations, needs to throw their weight behind them stat.

Considering that five of the seven members of the gold medal-winning team are retiring after this year, leaving only Daleman and Osmond as prospects to keep going for Beijing, I don't think they're going to neglect trying to firm up new talent in a hurry.

• Love 1
Just now, SeanC said:

Considering that five of the seven members of the gold medal-winning team are retiring after this year, leaving only Daleman and Osmond as prospects to keep going for Beijing, I don't think they're going to neglect trying to firm up new talent in a hurry.

Now you'd think, but they've been more wasteful of talent than that in the past :P They should definitely go all in, because the other disciplines are suddenly looking very sparse.

4 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Pity all they cared about for all these years was to give Chan 100 PCS for falling 5 times per program.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I am also shocked that unlike Natalia M. or Hongbo Zhao or other former pair skaters Katia Gordeeva IMO has NOT aged well. She was so beautful when young.

Also interesting that her instagram has plenty pics of her daughters but none of Ilia. Hmm.

Maybe it's just a bad pic? At least she hasn't gone the crazy looking too much filler route. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, healthnut said:

Wondering the same thing...WTH?

They're showing skating on the NBC Sports App, but it's not commentated by Tara and Johnny.

Italians are up now.

That said, this coverage is horrible. Why are they showing Hockey on NBC and NBCSports when skating is going on. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, healthnut said:

Wondering the same thing...WTH?

Live stream on roku has been great. And I just got to see Aksel, my 3 time Olympic boyfriend,  win gold so I am not hating on NBC right now. 

• Love 1

I admit I dvr'ed yesterdays SP, so I did not witness the thonging on the females.  Tonight though...let's just say I'm so glad they wax.  I'm not clutching my pearls mind you, I dig me a well oiled up Tonga body, but damn...and really, that has to bother you when your outfit starts stranging your bits and pieces.

• Love 2

At least the Russians have more traditional costumes in their skate, but they're having a little trouble. Don't know if they'll pass the Italians with the errors they've had thus far.

6 minutes ago, Enero said:

They're showing skating on the NBC Sports App, but it's not commentated by Tara and Johnny.

Italians are up now.

That said, this coverage is horrible. Why are they showing Hockey on NBC and NBCSports when skating is going on. 

Why did they force figure skating to start at 10:00am local time in order to show it in US prime time, when they don't actually show any figure skating until after 10pm? UGH!! I don't have any NBC sports channels so I'm stuck waiting for it to come on NBC.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

Maybe it's just a bad pic? At least she hasn't gone the crazy looking too much filler route. 

She looks quite pretty on her Instagram pictures.

I feel a bit sad seeing the old pics she posts of Sergei. If I'm sad I can't imagine how she must feel. Poor lady.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

Why did they force figure skating to start at 10:00am local time in order to show it in US prime time, when they don't actually show any figure skating until after 10pm? UGH!! I don't have any NBC sports channels so I'm stuck waiting for it to come on NBC.

And I don't have the energy to chase it across 4 different platforms (plus I really like Johnny/Tara/Terry's commentary.)

1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

She looks quite pretty on her Instagram pictures.

I feel a bit sad seeing the old pics she posts of Sergei. If I'm sad I can't imagine how she must feel. Poor lady.

Ok also ... we laugh at the V/M secret baby blog but back in the day there were several message boards that were EXTREMELY creepy with women who called themselves "Sergei's widows" and called Katia all sorts of names for her relationship with Kulik and they even called Liza all sorts of names. It was way out of line and all those boards had to be shut down. In those years Katia was known for being extremely frosty and cold with the fans, probably because she ran into a few too many "Sergei's widows." She seems like a private withdrawn person anyway but I'm glad that she's now comfortable enough to share family pix and stuff on her social media.

• Love 5

Aw too bad about James/Cripes. Unless some ahead of them have a disaster, they will not make the podium. I was hoping they'd get in for the bronze. And the mistakes kind of took the wind out of this performance IMHO.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok also ... we laugh at the V/M secret baby blog but back in the day there were several message boards that were EXTREMELY creepy with women who called themselves "Sergei's widows" and called Katia all sorts of names for her relationship with Kulik and they even called Liza all sorts of names. It was way out of line and all those boards had to be shut down. In those years Katia was known for being extremely frosty and cold with the fans, probably because she ran into a few too many "Sergei's widows." She seems like a private withdrawn person anyway but I'm glad that she's now comfortable enough to share family pix and stuff on her social media.

Yowsers! My gosh some people are strange (to put it as nicely as possible!)

2 minutes ago, Enero said:

Aw too bad about James/Cripes. Unless some ahead of them have a disaster, they will not make the podium. I was hoping they'd get in for the bronze. And the mistakes kind of took the wind out of this performance IMHO.

I know, I feel so, so bad for them. Damn, that was a tough stumble. If it wasn't for those two mistakes they might have gotten bronze.

• Love 4

Sorry but Zhang looks like Yu's dad skating next to her. It's just not a good look, especially when they appeared in the beginning to be portraying romance.

I love their music though. Star Wars! :)

Edited by Enero
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

HAHAHAHAHA I love crazy fandom stories. This reminds me of the Snapewives from Harry Potter fandom and the time one of them said she got married to Snape on the "astral plane." Whatever that means.

12 minutes ago, specialj67 said:

I like how into the side-by-side spins the woman commentator is on the livestream. I’ve never really noticed the nuances of that element before.

I like her (the commentator). She points out things really well, particularly when they do the slow-mo. 

• Love 1
Just now, Enero said:

Sorry but Zhang looks like Yu's dad skating next to her. It's just not a good look, especially when they appeared in the beginning to be portraying romance.

She’s 22. I think his previous partner was 17.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Enero said:

I’d never seen them before, but I quickly fell in love with them and was so sorry that it didn’t work out for them.  Their music choices are right in my sweet spot, I like how she wears jumpsuits (nice to have different looks), and their programs are beautifully choreographed.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Enero said:

I feel so bad for them but you got to hand it to them for going all in with the quad lutz instead of a triple. I still loved their performance- that song is so beautiful and they skate so well together. 

Glad I’m watching the skating feed on the NBC app instead of waiting for it on prime time. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3