Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

Pretty performance. The Canadians weren't as good technically as the Chinese, but I thought the routine was much better suited to the music, and they seemed to be feeling it more.

This soporific version of U2 upsets me very much. I don't want Duhamel/Radford to win because of it. Demerits!

Oh, I liked the cover!

Edited by stealinghome

Johnny makes a good point, these pairs programs are so similar technically it is almost like watching compulsory routines. They have the same entrances into their death spirals and of very similar entry into the overhead lift. 

Edited by healthnut
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, specialj67 said:

I didn’t get on board with them while watching Europeans last month, but they’ve really won me over this past week. They are such great performers inbetween all of the required elements. Not a moment is wasted.

It is the closest to some of the throwback routines people were posting (Candeloro, etc) where they really created a story and characters. 

• Love 2

The commentators just said this is Savchenko's FIFTH Olympics? That's amazing. Shame that she'll likely miss out on gold again, barring mistakes from the Russians or Chinese.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, AshleyN said:

The commentators just said this is Savchenko's FIFTH Olympics? That's amazing. Shame that she'll likely miss out on gold again, barring mistakes from the Russians or Chinese.

Tarasova and Morozov have made mistakes in the long this season. And their LP this season really doesn’t fit them, stylistically. I’d give the edge to Sui and Han, with Savchenko and Massot in second (barring some kind of miracle, which I’ll be praying for).

• Love 7

So, basically, it's China and Russia out in front with a bit over 80 points, with a few other countries bunched a bit further back in the mid-70s. Obviously a lot could happen in the free program tomorrow, but those are the contours of the race for gold, silver and bronze.

6 minutes ago, specialj67 said:

Tarasova and Morozov have made mistakes in the long this season. And their LP this season really doesn’t fit them, stylistically. I’d give the edge to Sui and Han, with Savchenko and Massot in second (barring some kind of miracle, which I’ll be praying for).

That horrible panty dropping program better not win the OGM!

What a faboulous night of pairs skating.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

Gosh Artur Dmitriev has aged. I really like Astahkova and Rogonov too.

The future of pairs looks bright.

Well, was it just me who thought Astahkova was wearing a thong?  I was just dumbfounded the first time her skirt blew away from her rear end.  At first I thought she had a wedgie (a la Natalia Mishkutienok in the SP of the '92 O's; Natalia was smooth, though, cause she "unwedged" herself during her death spiral).  Or is this going to be the new look for female skaters?

I am rooting for the Russian pair who skated to Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto 2, one of my favorite classical pieces. They were good and deserve to be supported for such great taste in music.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, SimoneS said:

I am rooting for the Russian pair who skated to Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto 2, one of my favorite classic pieces. They were good and deserve to be supported for such great taste in music.

For the short! How do you from Rach to Candyman?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SimoneS said:

I am rooting for the Russian pair who skated to Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto 2, one of my favorite classic pieces. They were good and deserve to be supported for such great taste in music.

They skate to this for the free:

• Love 3
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

The Italians have my favorite choreography so far. That was delightful.

They were my favorite as well. It was the only program I felt had any kind of life to it. Everyone else was good, but safe. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, kittykat said:

Rightfully so.  Alexei Urmonov arguably is the Founder of Skating While Russian.

Oh. My, Every time I see the Seinfeld rerun about the "shirt with the puffy sleeves," I think of Alexei Urmonov. Poofy sleeves and GLOVES. 

Anyway....

• Love 5
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, was it just me who thought Astahkova was wearing a thong?  I was just dumbfounded the first time her skirt blew away from her rear end.  

No, you're not the only one. I didn't know if she had a wedgie or if she was wearing a thong. Even the German girl's leotard was riding quite high. Hocke, I think.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I thought you were joking. I YouTubed that mess. They heard Candyman and thought Olympic Gold! WTH 

I don't get it. Even though Rachmaninoff's Concerto #2 is overused in skating it still would have been a better choice for the long. Their costumes for the long are unfortunate too. 

I want Sui and Han to win. 

In a perfect world, Savchenko and Massot will snag the silver.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

I want Sui and Han to win. 

Yep. No Yuna level scandals here please.

Come to think of it, they have a similar story as her, too. Injured, world champions, injured right before the Olys, don't have the ranking to skate in the final group even though they are the world champions, have a ridiculously thin lead over the second place Russians...

I can feel it coming. I hope it doesn't.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 7

Sui and Han were so good. I thought they were much better than the Russians, but only a point separating does not bode well for potential Russian inflategate. In my perfect world, James/Cipres would snag the bronze. I love watching them skate.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, twoods said:

Sui and Han were so good. I thought they were much better than the Russians, but only a point separating does not bode well for potential Russian inflategate. In my perfect world, James/Cipres would snag the bronze. I love watching them skate.

I'm hoping that the Russians are as inflated as they can be, and that S/H were undermarked on PCS because they were not in the final group. No way should they be that close together.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Enero said:

This! They are the total package. Beautiful skating and technical perfection.

And there's Zhao from Shen and Zhao! Another one of my favorite pairs teams. 

I always thought that Zhao Hongbo was kinda hot. 

Artur Dmitriev, on the other hand, has not aged well. Very puffy in the face. Back off the Stoli, Artur.  Couldn't have happened to a more deserving assface, considering how he treated Natalia Mishkutionok.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 8

I'm usually pretty meh toward the Russian skaters, but I really liked Astakhova and Rogonov. The music in their short program was so over the top, and I loved when Johnny (or it could have been Tara) were describing how dramatic and fierce it was, and then added "and for the long program, they'll be skating to La La Land!" I'm only glad that they scored low because it means they'll skate the long program before my bed time.

Okay, here's a question. On the ISU results page, you can click on a skater's name and their ISU bio pops up, containing vital statistics, past results, past partners, music that they're skating to, etc. On the Knerim's page, it says that they practice 15 hours a week. If you click on the big names, they practice 25 to 35 hours a week, even 40 hours a week. How accurate is this and is this why US pairs just cannot measure up? Don't get me wrong, I like the Knerim's and think they're cute as buttons, but I'd like to see them actually contend, because when they DO hit, they're beautiful. But, it doesn't happen in international competition very often.  If they're only practicing 15 hours a week, and Savchenko and Massot claim to practice 40 hours a week? No wonder there's a difference.  

Then, there's a question of money. Is that the issue? Does Germany subsidize their athlete's income so that they CAN practice full time? A recent Real Sports on HBO went into Olympic athletes training on their own dime, and that when they go to international competitions, the competitors from other countries are shocked that the US doesn't provide for its athletes (especially in lower profile sports, which I do not consider figure skating to be). 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

I got to watch the highlights from my country's stream.

Why are the Canadians third? I thought they looked terrible. 

I liked both 1 and 2 but don't understand why the Canadians were third. I was so sure  one of their jumps were out of sync and they looked sloppy overall.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Hey NBC!  Maybe if you'd spent a little less time fellating Shaun White, you could've shown more than just a half-dozen pairs' skaters' performances last night.  (God, I hate NBC's coverage, but unfortunately I'm stuck with it.)

I'm so tired of hearing about him. I DVR'd last night's coverage and was annoyed to see how little skating coverage was included. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Okay, here's a question. On the ISU results page, you can click on a skater's name and their ISU bio pops up, containing vital statistics, past results, past partners, music that they're skating to, etc. On the Knerim's page, it says that they practice 15 hours a week. If you click on the big names, they practice 25 to 35 hours a week, even 40 hours a week. How accurate is this and is this why US pairs just cannot measure up? Don't get me wrong, I like the Knerim's and think they're cute as buttons, but I'd like to see them actually contend, because when they DO hit, they're beautiful. But, it doesn't happen in international competition very often.  If they're only practicing 15 hours a week, and Savchenko and Massot claim to practice 40 hours a week? No wonder there's a difference.  

Then, there's a question of money. Is that the issue? Does Germany subsidize their athlete's income so that they CAN practice full time? A recent Real Sports on HBO went into Olympic athletes training on their own dime, and that when they go to international competitions, the competitors from other countries are shocked that the US doesn't provide for its athletes (especially in lower profile sports, which I do not consider figure skating to be). 

In other countries many athletes join the military/police force to get their training paid for. 

• Love 1

On the Knerim's page, it says that they practice 15 hours a week. If you click on the big names, they practice 25 to 35 hours a week, even 40 hours a week. How accurate is this and is this why US pairs just cannot measure up?

I wonder if those numbers are skewed due to Alexa's illness. 15 hours a week seems really low though. Even if you worked full time and could only put in a couple hours a day M-F, training full time on the weekend would give you at least 16-25 hours.

I'm so tired of hearing about him. I DVR'd last night's coverage and was annoyed to see how little skating coverage was included.

Did they ever mention that they were showing the pairs skating in full on NBCSN? I only knew because I saw it in this thread. At the same time, I get that NBC can't only show figure skating, and pairs isn't very popular in the US, while snowboarding seems to be the main source of American medals.

• Love 2