Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

1 minute ago, AshleyN said:

I don't remember that, but I do remember seeing video of Jessica Dube getting a skate blade in the face on one. It was terrifying.

I remember Elena's story more than Jessica's.  Anton went and rescued her, took care of her, and brought her back to the land of the living.  It was a big story when it happened.  She was fortunate to have a boyfriend like Anton.  Sadly I think there are enough of these accidents, that depending on your age, how much figure skating you follow, and possibly who your favourites are, will determine which one is the most memorable to a person.  I think almost every figure skating fan can name someone who was injured doing the side by side camels.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Shades of Red said:

I remember Elena's story more than Jessica's.  Anton went and rescued her, took care of her, and brought her back to the land of the living.  It was a big story when it happened.  She was fortunate to have a boyfriend like Anton.  Sadly I think there are enough of these accidents, that depending on your age, how much figure skating you follow, and possibly who your favourites are, will determine which one is the most memorable to a person.  I think almost every figure skating fan can name someone who was injured doing the side by side camels.

I was reading up on her after I asked that because I got curious if I remembered that right and man, that poor girl had some shitty and one abusive asshole for partners before she started skating with Anton.

• Love 4

Tip: NBCSN is running the pairs short in full. I'm sure that NBC will cut in for the Knierims, but if you want to see the earlier groups, go to NBCSN. Apologies if everyone knew this - I just found it.

Johnny Weir just mentioned that he used to be a pairs skater. Did not know this fun fact.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Tip: NBCSN is running the pairs short in full. I'm sure that NBC will cut in for the Knierims, but if you want to see the earlier groups, go to NBCSN. Apologies if everyone knew this - I just found it.

Johnny Weir just mentioned that he used to be a pairs skater. Did not know this fun fact.

Good tip -- it's also on the app.

1 hour ago, riley702 said:

I HATE the Biellman spin. And I'm beyond sick of its overuse. I know I'm supposed to see this graceful tulip shape, but to me, it looks vulgar and trashy.

I totally agree.  Even when done well, it's not an attractive position, IMO.  And when done in the yank-that-foot-up-while-drastically-slowing-down, well, HORRIBLE. 

• Love 5

OH MY GOD THIS FORUM WAS GONE FOR LIKE 15 MINUTES DURING PAIRS AND I COULDN'T BREATHE.

Anyway. The North Korean pair looked good. I'm fascinated by them. 

ETA: I like the Knierems, they are cute. 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 8

The North Korean team was just bubbling with personality. It was fun watching them because they seemed so excited to be there. 

I think the Team Event wore the Kniermens out. At least they have the first run of their short program to look back on. 

• Love 5
Just now, Shaynaa said:

I'm not good at getting the technical stuff but I thought the North Koreans looked great and am glad they get to skate again tomorrow night.

They did. I really enjoyed watching them, and I hope they do well in the FS.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, absnow54 said:

I think the Team Event wore the Kniermens out. At least they have the first run of their short program to look back on. 

Agreed, but I loved their attitude about it—didn’t Alexa say something like “it’s the Olympics, we’ll skate 8 times if they want us to” after the team short program? I just loved that. Such a great attitude.

also they are an adorable couple and their connection really comes through on the ice.

• Love 13

Eh, I'm OK with the Knierims. They came through when it mattered, to win for themselves and the team. They weren't going to medal in their discipline anyway. And they just seem happy to be there. They are super-cute.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

This is a very eerie "Everybody wants to rule the world."  Not sure I like it. At. All.

It's Lorde's cover from a few years ago.  Great cover, in my opinion, though I'm not sure it's a great choice for performance music.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

This is a very eerie "Everybody wants to rule the world."  Not sure I like it. At. All.

Pretty sure that was Lorde's version for the second Hunger Games movie.  Which would explain the sort of drab outfits.

• Love 2

The North Korean girl is so tiny!! I thought they skated very good. 

5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Probably because every North Korean at the Olympics from looks scared shitless to breathe the wrong way, lest Twinkie Boy feed them to the dogs when they return. 

And their families too. 

• Love 7

Kyom and Kim were great. I look forward to seeing them in future seasons because the have a lot of potential. In terms of charisma she reminds me Wenjing Sui. 

Gosh Artur Dmitriev has aged. I really like Astahkova and Rogonov too.

The future of pairs looks bright.

It's always interesting to see a manifestation of the depth of English-language cultural penetration at these international events, where basically everybody skates to English-language music.

Wonderful performance from the Chinese.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, healthnut said:

First time I’ve seen Sui/Han, they are stunning.

This! They are the total package. Beautiful skating and technical perfection.

And there's Zhao from Shen and Zhao! Another one of my favorite pairs teams. 

• Love 5

Hallelujah - Make it stop.

Hallelujah by KD Lang - Make all the pretty.

When Johnny was like they feel it in their heart, I remembered that scene of Boy Meets World when Feeny asked Eric how he was able to act so well on stage and he's like "It's in the script!." Random thought but made me laugh. 

• Love 1

I loved the skate, but hate her outfit. It looks like suspenders on a miniskirt. And the proportions are off. 

Agree on the outfit--she needs to either ditch the skirt altogether or give it like 2-3 more inches. But either way, the current length isn't working. I didn't love the skate though, I have to confess; didn't feel like it matched the music much. Chan might have splatted but his routine felt like a much better fit for Hallelujah.

It feels like the Italians' routines have more personality/character than everyone else's combined! That was so much FUN!

Also, omg, Tara's story about being thrown made me guffaw. She DEFINITELY was not made for pairs skating!

• Love 2

I was really afraid they weren't going to show James/Cipres because of all the snowboarding. So glad they were on! They were awesome. I've met Vanessa James a few times and she is the sweetest, loveliest person. I'm really pulling for them.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Marcheii and Hotarek are so entertaining.

I didn’t get on board with them while watching Europeans last month, but they’ve really won me over this past week. They are such great performers inbetween all of the required elements. Not a moment is wasted.