Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Weddings

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, peaceknit said:

Wait, who said that? I liked the couples this time. They all seemed pretty well matched physically too.

Ryan said it to Jaclyn in the previews for the weeks to come. It might be taken out of context, knowing the way this show likes to slap soundbites together.

• Love 3

Molly and Jon seem to like each other.  However, I think it was unfair of them to match a woman who was raised financially insecure with an unemployed man. 

While Ryan appears to be all in, Jaclyn doesn’t seem to be. I think she was disappointed when she saw him, but will give it her best shot.

Jephte doesn’t seem to be feeling Shawneice.  Hopefully, he will get there because I am rooting for them. I really like the speech her mother gave; "she might not be a great beauty, but she has a big heart."  So sweet. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, answerphone said:

Is it real, or is it in the editing?

After the marriages, everyone is content and happy. ?

The clip from next week's show indicates all hell will be breaking loose. ?

With this crapfest, its always in the editing. 

• Love 8

I think the storylines that are being set up for the season are:

Jaclyn & Ryan: Her not coping well with her late boyfriend's death (maybe she brought some of his old furnishings/mementos into her new apartment with Ryan) and Ryan not dealing well with that.

Molly & Jon:  He's seen telling her in the previews that their relationship is moving too slowly.

Shawniece & Jephte: He's not opening up quickly enough for her and she's worried he might be messaging other women.

Edited by Gobears
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Pfj99 said:

When Jephte was reluctant to kiss for the photo session, I wish Shawneice had taken the hint and not done the lap dance.  It made me uncomfortable, and I wasn't even there!

I saw the preview with that scene (show isn't on here yet) and I was wondering what the hell was going through her head to think that was a smart thing to do. 

• Love 10

All's well that starts well, then .... All hell breaks loose.  I don't like Jonathon's best girl/man.  Who is she to offer up all that advice good & bad?  She probably likes Jonathon herself.  She looked a little "freaky" telling Mollie this & that.   Sharise or whatever her name is gave a nice lap dance to her new husband in front of his MOTHER and everyone else at the reception.  Very classy.  She's too much for him.  He's a quiet reserved dude.   The fireman .. WOW !   If my husband ever said those things to me, I'd sock it to him.  Both the fireman and Jonathon have tempers already!  What's with these guys talking to their new brides like that?   For real or producer driven?

• Love 11

I give Shawniece a lot of credit for leaving that belt on—it didn’t go with her dress at all.  She’s a better person than I am.   I would’ve been a bridezilla and wanted to take it off so it didn’t ruin the look I wanted for my wedding day. (That’s probably why I’m still single, too.)

ETA:  I forgot that she gave him a lap dance in front of his entire family. I think that destroyed all the goodwill she earned from wearing the belt. 

I wish Ryan  had stopped calling the wedding a fairytale; it was getting annoying. I can’t tell if it was just the editors or that’s actually part of what I found off-putting about Ryan’s personality in the first episode 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, PityFree said:

I give Shawniece a lot of credit for leaving that belt on—it didn’t go with her dress at all.  She’s a better person than I am.   I would’ve been a bridezilla and wanted to take it off so it didn’t ruin the look I wanted for my wedding day. (That’s probably why I’m still single, too.)

I thought the belt looked very good! But erm...I'm not married but if I ever got married, I'd be okay with someone else picking everything out for me. Heck, let's be honest, I would just get married at city hall in jeans.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Molly and Jon seem to like each other.  However, I think it was unfair of them to match a woman who was raised financially insecure with an unemployed man. 

While Ryan appears to be all in, Jaclyn doesn’t seem to be. I think she was disappointed when she saw him, but will give it her best shot.

Jephte doesn’t seem to be feeling Shawneice.  Hopefully, he will get there because I am rooting for them. I really like the speech her mother gave; "she might not be a great beauty, but she has a big heart."  So sweet. 

I cant read Jephte at all and if he is too shy to kiss his new bride on camera, then maybe getting Married at First Sight is a little too much for him as well ? He also rarely smiles or talks. Shawniece is way too much for him. I know that opposites can attract and all, but someone as gregarious and outrageous as her needs someone who can relate to her on a similar level. That lap dance though ? Save it for the honeymoon when the cameras arent rolling, please 

Molly and Jeff's wedding ceremony came off as awkward I think because every little thing they said and glance they took was shown, from Jonathan telling us he was reaching into his jacket to read his vows to Molly nervously laughing too much. They are definitely very attracted to each other but I definitely think that based on the previews there is a hint that Molly isnt letting the relationship progress sexually, especially when we hear Jonathan saying , "This marriageis moving even slower than a regular relationship; you cant just keep stringing me along." 

I definitely think that Jaclyn's having a deceased fiance will play a storyline here, in which point, shame on the producers. 

7 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

All's well that starts well, then .... All hell breaks loose.  I don't like Jonathon's best girl/man.  Who is she to offer up all that advice good & bad?  She probably likes Jonathon herself.  She looked a little "freaky" telling Mollie this & that.  

Yea, what is up with that ?! Jonathan seems like the kind of guy who only hangs out with his "bros"; most likely in packs wearing muscle tanks heading to an Avicii concert. I cant get a read on that chick and if she is a lesbian who likes to roll with the guys, or the secretly in love BFF ... ? She has a vibe of a gal who acts like a "bro" 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Lily247 said:

I cant read Jephte at all and if he is too shy to kiss his new bride on camera, then maybe getting Married at First Sight is a little too much for him as well ? He also rarely smiles or talks. Shawniece is way too much for him. I know that opposites can attract and all, but someone as gregarious and outrageous as her needs someone who can relate to her on a similar level. That lap dance though ? Save it for the honeymoon when the cameras arent rolling, please 

Molly and Jeff's wedding ceremony came off as awkward I think because every little thing they said and glance they took was shown, from Jonathan telling us he was reaching into his jacket to read his vows to Molly nervously laughing too much. They are definitely very attracted to each other but I definitely think that based on the previews there is a hint that Molly isnt letting the relationship progress sexually, especially when we hear Jonathan saying , "This marriageis moving even slower than a regular relationship; you cant just keep stringing me along." 

I definitely think that Jaclyn's having a deceased fiance will play a storyline here, in which point, shame on the producers. 

Maybe its just not shyness but the fact that they just meet and he is trying to get a read on things, kwim? I don't think they should or shouldn't kiss at the alter or any other moments during the wedding if they aren't feeling it or comfortable with it. It really doesn't make it or break it in the end from what we have seen in past seasons. It comes down to behaviors as time goes on and how they click or not. Which lap dance for him might say she is not the one for him right off the bat...at least it should make him question things about her and who she is. Heck I am questioning it. LOL Plus who the hell gives a lap dance to a guy she just met? Married like this or not.

Not on here yet still but if Molly doesn't just jump in the sack with him its probably best. I've always thought they should wait a little bit to at least get to know the person some. More so since many of these past couples have ended up in a disaster of a situation for doing it right off the bat and regretted it. I'd question how fast a regular relationship moves for him and what he thinks is stringing along...yet we shall see how the edit monkeys have played that one.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Lily247 said:

Yea, what is up with that ?! Jonathan seems like the kind of guy who only hangs out with his "bros"; most likely in packs wearing muscle tanks heading to an Avicii concert. I cant get a read on that chick and if she is a lesbian who likes to roll with the guys, or the secretly in love BFF ... ? She has a vibe of a gal who acts like a "bro" 

Yeah, she was giving too much advice and info about Jonothan.  Let Molly find out things for herself.  It was like she owned him or would like to.  She also had a crazy look on her face that was scary.  Watch out Molly, ha ha.

• Love 6

Here’s my take on Jonathan’s female best friend: she’s very pretty, but she’s a little bit big boned. I’d bet Jonathan never dated her because he think she’s “fat.”  He seems like the type who would consider his girlfriend’s thin body a status symbol for himself— especially after we saw him tease Ryan about the size 7 1/2 ring. 

Edited by PityFree
Typo.
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, ChristmasJones said:

I've always wondered if these folks are screened for STDs first. I am guessing they would do that, right? 

Well considering many things with this show I would guess they may ask and take their word for it but they may not screen for it. Yet the smart and right thing to do would be to screen for it. 

1 minute ago, PityFree said:

Here’s my take on Jonathan’s female best friend: she’s very pretty, but she’s a little bit big boned. Ikd bet Jonathan never dated her because he think she’s “fat.”  He seems like the type who would consider his girlfriend’s thin body a status symbol for himself— especially after we saw him tease Ryan about the size 7 1/2 ring. 

Yes that could be the case. He probably is the type that has to have the right look in a girl over anything else. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

I've always wondered if these folks are screened for STDs first. I am guessing they would do that, right? 

I don’t think they have that deep a pool of applicants to begin with so I don’t think they would risk making that pool smaller by screening for STDs.  I also think the production company is cheap and they wouldn’t want to waste money testing people.  I bet they just make the participants sign release forms absolving the production company of any liability if they were to pick up an STD... and have condoms handy.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Evil Queen said:

Well considering many things with this show I would guess they may ask and take their word for it but they may not screen for it. Yet the smart and right thing to do would be to screen for it. 

Yes that could be the case. He probably is the type that has to have the right look in a girl over anything else. 

I can't see a guy like Jonathon with all those male friends and so macho having a girl best friend.  Unless she is like a "sister" or maybe a relative.  Anyhow, seems like Molly ain't giving it up yet. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

I can't see a guy like Jonathon with all those male friends and so macho having a girl best friend.  Unless she is like a "sister" or maybe a relative.  Anyhow, seems like Molly ain't giving it up yet. 

I'm thinking she may be gay.  After all, she went to the bachelor party and I've never seen that before.

• Love 4

So we have a Jaclyn and a Ryan.  I noticed the wedding audience chuckled when they got a load of that.  Thankfully he's not a 'basement Ryan' but from the looks of things to come she might be sending him to one!

So Dr. Pepper has dropped a few pounds and now she's a diet Dr. Pepper!

Jonathan is so hot I would have a hard time waiting that long to have sex with him even if it would be the best thing to do.  Especially if I was sleeping next to him every night!

Shawneice can't be that clueless as to give Jephte a lap dance at the wedding in front of his family, can she?  Oh yeah, I forgot it's this show so yes she can be.  If she thinks she's going to get a rise out of him (pun intended) with that behavior, she is sadly mistaken.   It's only going to send him in the opposite direction.  She is shaping up to be overbearing and too easily threatened.

• Love 11
56 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

I think Jonathan's delicate ego likes having a platonic woman around to fawn over him and make him feel more macho then he actually is. 

• Love 12

I just recently realized this delicious trash fest was back on.  This is a guilty pleasure of mine. I feel a bit guilty how much pleasure I get from everyone’s emotional dramatics and the overdone editing  

Jepthe appears not cut out for the immediate oversharing this show expects. Did he not understand what he signed up for? Although I personally would have found Shawneice’s wedding day lap dance inappropriate even if they’d known each other since childhood and their families vacationed together. Save it for the bedroom woman. As Black Widow told Captain America, “Public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable.” Yes, yes they do. Especially when it’s in front of the brand new in-laws you literally met that day. 

I can’t let go of Jonathan ditching his job for a low rent reality show. It just screams I have a self promotion plan. Molly seems sweet but her entire family seems to still be coming to terms with the dad’s death and the change in circumstances. I don’t remember how long ago it all happened but it appears to be a fresh wound for them all. Also, if Jon boy really is pressuring her for sex (and it’s not all an editing trick) it will bring my wait and see if he’s a jerk idea solidly into most likely a jerk territory. 

Ryan was SO EXCITED about everything. It’s THE BEST! This is a FAIRYTALE! She’s a DREAM COME TRUE! Good grief man dial it back a bit. I couldn’t get a read on Jaclyn. Was she hopeful about the idea or hopeful about Ryan? Was she glad she did this or putting on a brave face? I guess I’ll have to tune in next week. Drat, they’ve hooked me again! 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, ramble said:

Molly seems sweet but her entire family seems to still be coming to terms with the dad’s death and the change in circumstances. I don’t remember how long ago it all happened but it appears to be a fresh wound for them all. Also, if Jon boy really is pressuring her for sex (and it’s not all an editing trick) it will bring my wait and see if he’s a jerk idea solidly into most likely a jerk territory. 

6 yrs is what I saw...thought I saw 10 some place but I looked it up to double check. So its not something just happened recently but this show is going to make it seem like it of course. Yet I understand getting a little misty eyed on the wedding day with him but hopefully its not going to be going on and on like it was yesterday. And agree if he is pressuring it will not look good on him. 

6 minutes ago, ramble said:

Jepthe appears not cut out for the immediate oversharing this show expects. Did he not understand what he signed up for? Although I personally would have found Shawneice’s wedding day lap dance inappropriate even if they’d known each other since childhood and their families vacationed together. Save it for the bedroom woman. As Black Widow told Captain America, “Public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable.” Yes, yes they do. Especially when it’s in front of the brand new in-laws you literally met that day. 

Sometimes I think these people assume it won't happen to them the way it did for others and it will be different or they really honestly have no clue (which is probably rare). Yet she is seriously going to have to chill a bit on some things with him. She comes off like she would have jumped him right there if she could have. Even the first dance she was like bumping and grinding at one point. I get why he wasn't comfy with the kissing. He is not all the pda type...at least right off the bat. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe as time goes on it will change but she seriously needs to not come off as she is. Even them talking one on one at first she has to toss in the masturbation comment and he is like "omg, I work with babies".  Which brings me back to why do this show if you worry about how things will look on tv and especially being a teacher? 

• Love 11

Jephte , poor guy. He is not comfortable at all with the whole pda at this point obviously so why on earth would she do that to him? She wants him to like her she said in the TH but yet does she think that is the way to do so? She was bumping and grinding at him during their 1st dance too. His face when she was trying to give him the lap dance...omg he was so not into that happening. Seriously asking again, WHO THE HELL DOES THAT??? Good way to turn him off for good if that is how she will be all the time. 

I am not sure on Ryan and Jaclyn. I can't tell if she is happy with him or not. One second she looks like she is and the next not so much. Could be nerves though since she does look nervous at times. 

Jon's friend is a bit much with things. Hell it could be for the cameras though that she is. Who knows...I am not sure about these 2 though. Of course she is going to be ok with him not having a job with how he told her. *rollseyes* I will say I don't have good feeling with him right now though. 

Not going to read to much into the previews since the edit monkeys play games with it all to make things look certain ways and it doesn't always end up as it is. 

I swear each season comes the wedding night with the "experts" rambling about how its not expected for them to have sex and blah blah blah. Then you have one or more of the people saying how they won't kiss and tell...blah blah blah. Same script as every season....*sigh*

• Love 7

In my opinion if a guy isn't instantly attracted to a woman the moment he sees her the whole marriage is doomed.  With a woman (especially on this show) a guy's attraction can grow based on other qualities.  If he's kind,funny, employed, good to her family, good father material, etc, all those can raise initial attraction. But I have never seen that with the reverse  That's why Jepthe and Shawniece won't last. Oh, he might give it the "old college try" but it won't work long term.You could tell he was not happy when he saw her and honestly her pushy personality was just cringeworthy and made things much worse. Look at the only 3 couples from this show who are still together--Jason and Courtney, Doug and Jamie, Anthony and Ashley.  With all three the men were happy with their bride's physical attractiveness the moment they saw them

• Love 8

I think Jephte and Shawniece are a mismatch. (I agree that the belt didn't go with her dress at all - the tie in the back messed up the dress's tie, which was a focal point of the dress.) She's too brash for him. When he was like " ... I'm a teacher ..." as she was talking about how masturbation got her through a dry spell, I was cringing. Nothing wrong with masturbation (it's the safest sex there is!) but like ... stop yelling about it.

That lap dance was why I hate the garter belt toss at weddings and would not do it at my own (I wouldn't do the bouquet toss either; if I had to do something I'd do the thing where you give it to the couple that's been married the longest) - people tend to sex it up too much and I think it's inappropriate. Like, yes, you're married and you bone/are going to bone, but your grandmother is there, you know? Yikes.

Jonathan and Molly are a good match physically but I can absolutely see Jonathan pressuring Molly for sex. Jonathan has "nice guy" vibes; I can see him thinking women owe him sex. I can also see him thinking or saying "I can get it elsewhere," given how quickly he tossed out that he was already interviewing elsewhere when he lost his job (which may or may not be true).

Ryan is too into this and kind of corny, and Jaclyn isn't attracted to him (I think Jaclyn is more attractive than Ryan is), but she'll give it the college try.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

Jephte , poor guy. He is not comfortable at all with the whole pda at this point obviously so why on earth would she do that to him? She wants him to like her she said in the TH but yet does she think that is the way to do so? She was bumping and grinding at him during their 1st dance too. His face when she was trying to give him the lap dance...omg he was so not into that happening. Seriously asking again, WHO THE HELL DOES THAT??? Good way to turn him off for good if that is how she will be all the time. 

I am not sure on Ryan and Jaclyn. I can't tell if she is happy with him or not. One second she looks like she is and the next not so much. Could be nerves though since she does look nervous at times. 

Jon's friend is a bit much with things. Hell it could be for the cameras though that she is. Who knows...I am not sure about these 2 though. Of course she is going to be ok with him not having a job with how he told her. *rollseyes* I will say I don't have good feeling with him right now though. 

Not going to read to much into the previews since the edit monkeys play games with it all to make things look certain ways and it doesn't always end up as it is. 

I swear each season comes the wedding night with the "experts" rambling about how its not expected for them to have sex and blah blah blah. Then you have one or more of the people saying how they won't kiss and tell...blah blah blah. Same script as every season....*sigh*

Yes to all, and how about the "this is a legal binding marriage" bit that the experts say like every 2 minutes?  Yeah, we get it already !  Now shut up and go sit down.

• Love 12

I can see why Shawniece has been single for four years. She can't read a room.  I think Jon and Molly might have a chance. They seemed the most relaxed together. Ryan and Jackie might be a good match.   I think her dead ex might get in the way. She may just not be ready to be with someone new yet. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Pfj99 said:

When Jephte was reluctant to kiss for the photo session, I wish Shawneice had taken the hint and not done the lap dance.  It made me uncomfortable, and I wasn't even there!

Its pretty clear that Jephte would prefer a more refined woman. The experts always do this! "He's a reserved, fairly shy guy, whose still waters run deep. She's an exuberant party girl, who wears her heart on her sleeve. Each of them can balance each other out". NO. They do this every time and it is a FAIL. There is no reason why a more reserved serious person can't have a more reserved, serious partner. Shawneice is obviously an outgoing, ebullient woman, who occasionally puts her foot in it socially, but she's clearly a lot of fun and the "outrageous" one in her group. And there is nothing wrong with that. But she deserved a fun loving guy who would laugh at her indiscretions, and appreciate her outspoken, funloving ways. Jephte seems to be a serious, thoughtful man who can be loud and expressive when he is feeling very comfortable, but needs time to absorb new experiences and people. He is probably the kind of person who likes lively, outgoing people, even. But lively and outgoing does not equal vulgar and inappropriate. Shawniece was over the top. Question is, is she always this over the top or was she nervous, tipsy, feeling insecure? I like them both but they are not a match. Too bad. He's adorable. And I like her too. Just not for each other.

9 hours ago, PityFree said:

Here’s my take on Jonathan’s female best friend: she’s very pretty, but she’s a little bit big boned. I’d bet Jonathan never dated her because he think she’s “fat.”  He seems like the type who would consider his girlfriend’s thin body a status symbol for himself— especially after we saw him tease Ryan about the size 7 1/2 ring. 

Eh, Jonathan's friend could just be his friend. My son has scads of female friends. His best friend at college his first year was a girl, and while she was very, very pretty, according to my son "she could BRO". No attraction on either side. But I do agree that she is a tad too proprietary toward him.

• Love 12

I watched Shawniece's reception grinding lap dance through my fingers, feeling Jephte's discomfort 5 months after the fact.

Jon's best (Wo)man asking if bow chicka wow wow was on the wedding night's activity list was a veiled way of asking...Jon...you sexually attracted to her?...and why not me? Why was it never me?...

Ryan was so very, very amped up that I thought he would spontaneously combust...see what I did there....

• Love 15
10 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

Sometimes I think these people assume it won't happen to them the way it did for others and it will be different or they really honestly have no clue (which is probably rare). Yet she is seriously going to have to chill a bit on some things with him. She comes off like she would have jumped him right there if she could have. Even the first dance she was like bumping and grinding at one point. I get why he wasn't comfy with the kissing. He is not all the pda type...at least right off the bat. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe as time goes on it will change but she seriously needs to not come off as she is. Even them talking one on one at first she has to toss in the masturbation comment and he is like "omg, I work with babies".  Which brings me back to why do this show if you worry about how things will look on tv and especially being a teacher? 

I think that Shawniece and Jephte are horribly mismatched just from watching several minutes of their screentime. They were matched because ... what do they have in common ? They both come from huge families ? They both most likely requested a person who was black as well. I will make a guess that the producers have a difficult time matching up participants who are black when they ask to be matched up with partners of the same racial background and so they just push 2 people together who are clearly not made for each other and start to spout some BS like "they both are connected to their faith" or "they both are really close with their families." Also, in the majority of the black couples the woman has always been several years older than the man, which I doubt most women would desire, and furthers the idea that pool of black participants is very small for this show. (The older woman - younger-man dynamic has never worked out on MAFS for any of those couples - Danielle/Cody, Ashley/David, Monet, Sheila/Nate) It is unfortunate because I really like Shawniece and I think that there are soooo many suitable men out there for her who could share and match her zest and outrageousness, just that this show might not have been the best avenue for that. 

As a side note, what shocked me the most was not the lapdance, but Shawniece mentioning masturbation to her brand new groom. :0 Way to get a good first impression, huh ? Just as a side note: What if the roles were reversed, and Jephte had been all over Shawniece, giving her a lapdance without consent, talking about masturbation, trying to kiss her when she is uncomfortable, etc ? Just interesting 

I have also never heard of a bridal belt tradition - maybe its a family tjing ? But that belt looked like a regular old sash you could find at any bachelorette party store. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 12

So we have a Jaclyn and a Ryan.  I noticed the wedding audience chuckled when they got a load of that.  Thankfully he's not a 'basement Ryan' but from the looks of things to come she might be sending him to one!

I don't think that people in the audience were reacting to the reference to a seasons-ago same-named couple on this franchise.  I think they were reacting to what we here had noticed but were confused about from episode 1, which was some reference before the wedding to the name "Ryan".    I had thought that either Jaclyn or someone at her bachelorette party said something like they had a feeling about the name Ryan.

• Love 6

I think that Shawniece and Jephte are horribly mismatched just from watching several minutes of their screentime. They were matched because ... what do they have in common ? They both come from huge families ? They both most likely requested a person who was black as well. I will make a guess that the producers have a difficult time matching up participants who are black when they ask to be matched up with partners of the same racial background and so they just push 2 people together who are clearly not made for each other and start to spout some BS like "they both are connected to their faith" or "they both are really close with their families." Also, in the majority of the black couples the woman has always been several years older than the man, which I doubt most women would desire, and furthers the idea that pool of black participants is very small for this show. (The older woman - younger-man dynamic has never worked out on MAFS for any of those couples - Danielle/Cody, Ashley/David, Monet, Sheila/Nate) It is unfortunate because I really like Shawniece and I think that there are soooo many suitable men out there for her who could share and match her zest and outrageousness, just that this show might not have been the best avenue for that. 

Yes!  If you remember, after all the vetting was done and the "experts" had whittled the candidates down to 25 or however many, and they were sitting in front of that couples-matching screen, I believe that Dr. Pepper proposed matching a black woman (Shawniece maybe) with another black man.  But Pastor Cal said that was not a good match, because the guy had said he only dated Hispanics (or something like that), so this would not be fair to the woman to be matched with someone whose preference is going to be not like her.  How effing dumb/clueless would Dr. Pepper be to suggest that match?  It shows she was not paying any attention at all to what the candidate said, and to all that "scientific" stuff they brag about, and only saw it as a generic combination of black girl/black guy who had made it this far.

As stupid as this sounds, it was at that point that I really lost faith in the show.  I came to understand that the extensive questionnaire they fill out, is really just to weed out undesirables and winnow down the contestant pool.  And then the important part of the "experts matching" actually just comes down to having a handful of remaining contestants that they basically slice-and-dice in random combinations on an expert's whim.  

• Love 13
41 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

I watched Shawniece's reception grinding lap dance through my fingers, feeling Jephte's discomfort 5 months after the fact.

Jon's best (Wo)man asking if bow chicka wow wow was on the wedding night's activity list was a veiled way of asking...Jon...you sexually attracted to her?...and why not me? Why was it never me?...

Ryan was so very, very amped up that I thought he would spontaneously combust...see what I did there....

You and me both. I actually pulled a pillow over my face. It was horrific and I felt so bad for him. Why in the hell did she think that was a good idea to do to someone she had JUST met hours before? This is his family's first impression of her and she does that? Ugh.

14 minutes ago, Lily247 said:

I wholeheartedly believe this is what happened. They are not a match at all and I can't root for them to say together - maybe that will change as the season wears on. To my introverted soul, she was a complete turn-off. Maybe Jephte isn't an introvert at all, but he was clearly uncomfortable with the lap dance and her loud talk of masturbation and "you're stuck with me now." I don't know if she's just desperate to have him like her or if she's like this all the time, but that would be exhausting to me. And if she didn't notice - or did notice but didn't care about him being so clearly put off by her words and actions, that's a shame. She needed a guy that would have jokingly asked her what kind of toys she prefers, not someone who reacted as he did. It would have been classless and tacky, but so was her admission (at that time and place, not talking about masturbation in general).

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Shelly1234 said:

In my opinion if a guy isn't instantly attracted to a woman the moment he sees her the whole marriage is doomed.  With a woman (especially on this show) a guy's attraction can grow based on other qualities.  If he's kind,funny, employed, good to her family, good father material, etc, all those can raise initial attraction. But I have never seen that with the reverse  That's why Jepthe and Shawniece won't last. Oh, he might give it the "old college try" but it won't work long term.You could tell he was not happy when he saw her and honestly her pushy personality was just cringeworthy and made things much worse. Look at the only 3 couples from this show who are still together--Jason and Courtney, Doug and Jamie, Anthony and Ashley.  With all three the men were happy with their bride's physical attractiveness the moment they saw them

Yes .. I agree with you.  I think with women also.  In my own life, I went out with a few guys that were good for me .. Good jobs, good families, good manners, etc., but no matter how much I tried, I couldn't feel any romance for them.  BUT, the minute my husband walked over and asked me to dance, BAM !  I knew he was the one by just looking at him.   Marriage is hard enough as it is.   An attraction in the beginning is almost necessary for a start.  Excuse the memory lane bit.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

Molly seemed more shocked and indignant at Jon's former company for not allowing him to stay while doing the show, rather than shocked and indignant at Jon for willingly leaving his place of employment in order to participate on a reality show. Her reaction was also fairly immature sounding to me: "What do you mean, they didnt let you do the show?!" Shame on them !! I just met you but you seem super smart and I have no doubt that you will find another job in 2 seconds. What do you do again ?

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yes!  If you remember, after all the vetting was done and the "experts" had whittled the candidates down to 25 or however many, and they were sitting in front of that couples-matching screen, I believe that Dr. Pepper proposed matching a black woman (Shawniece maybe) with another black man.  But Pastor Cal said that was not a good match, because the guy had said he only dated Hispanics (or something like that), so this would not be fair to the woman to be matched with someone whose preference is going to be not like her.  How effing dumb/clueless would Dr. Pepper be to suggest that match?  It shows she was not paying any attention at all to what the candidate said, and to all that "scientific" stuff they brag about, and only saw it as a generic combination of black girl/black guy who had made it this far.

[...]  

I may be giving them way to much credit here, but I took that interaction as as indication that Dr. Pepper just didn't know about that particular aspect of that guys preferences. I imagine they have 3 "experts" because no one person can know everything about all these people.

I would imagine that the questionnaires are used mainly to weed people out, and/or to produce personality profiles that they can reference when matching people. Maybe it gives them more a Myers Briggs style profile and they get most of the specifics about people from the interviews and going through their refrigerators..?

• Love 1

I will be shocked if Jephte and Shawn niece make it to the end of filming unless their contract says they must.  

He signs on to this then won't kiss his bride on their  wedding day?  Lap dance?  Nuts

• Love 6
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

NAILED IT. In general, with guy/girl friendships (which can totally happen, I have several guy friends) but one of them usually "likes" the other one just a little more to some degree. Not always enough to be an ongoing issue, or to be an awkward friendship, but clearly Jon's best woman is the one doing the liking.

• Love 11

I agree. I think two things are true:

• Platonic straight male/straight female friendships are indeed possible. My brother has a lot of female friends (a few are exes, most are not).
  • Jonathan's best friend has feelings for him.
  • Love 10

This show is one of my guilty pleasures, so I am glad it is back. I really wish they would make some effort to match people by things they like to do, general goals and values in life, and most importantly: what they want in a partner. Making people because they both come from large families is silly-what does that have to do with marriage?

It's pretty early on, but so far I don't think any of the three couples seem all that well matched. They are all matched in looks (IMO), but that is about it. I think in the end, you are either attracted to someone or not, and if not you have to work much harder to want to stay married. Ryan seemed like he was attracted to Jaclyn, but not sure about the other two. Honestly don't think any of the three brides were all that thrilled. 

• Love 3

Ryan uses a lot of idealizing language, which is rather concerning. Nobody can live up to those things, and when they don't the person who idealizes loses their shit in some way. I find him exhausting.

Shawniece needs to learn to respect boundaries; Jethte clearly communicated his to her and she rolled right over them anyway.

• Love 20
5 hours ago, Shelly1234 said:

Also when you look at those 3, the men were not pushy towards the women and making them have sex if they weren't ready. Each person in those relationships seemed to come in differently then the other couples that didn't work. There was more of a respect aspect given to each other. The others didn't seem to have that. I hope this makes sense. It might not be respect but something along those lines, kwim? 

2 hours ago, Lily247 said:

As a side note, what shocked me the most was not the lapdance, but Shawniece mentioning masturbation to her brand new groom. :0 Way to get a good first impression, huh ? Just as a side note: What if the roles were reversed, and Jephte had been all over Shawniece, giving her a lapdance without consent, talking about masturbation, trying to kiss her when she is uncomfortable, etc ? Just interesting 

I have also never heard of a bridal belt tradition - maybe its a family tjing ? But that belt looked like a regular old sash you could find at any bachelorette party store. 

I think if the roles were reversed some would be yelling louder on how he was treating her and some that are ok with what she did would be freaking out over it the loudest. IMO I don't care if he was doing this or that it was her, it was NOT OK at all. 

And yes I have never heard of this bridal belt tradition either. I was wondering if it was a show stunt. It just seemed so odd how it all happened. 

2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I don't think that people in the audience were reacting to the reference to a seasons-ago same-named couple on this franchise.  I think they were reacting to what we here had noticed but were confused about from episode 1, which was some reference before the wedding to the name "Ryan".    I had thought that either Jaclyn or someone at her bachelorette party said something like they had a feeling about the name Ryan.

Agree it wasn't for that reason. I think the show told either Jaclyn or someone in her group the name of her spouse to be though and that is what came from it all. 

2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

As stupid as this sounds, it was at that point that I really lost faith in the show.  I came to understand that the extensive questionnaire they fill out, is really just to weed out undesirables and winnow down the contestant pool.  And then the important part of the "experts matching" actually just comes down to having a handful of remaining contestants that they basically slice-and-dice in random combinations on an expert's whim.  

I am to the point I think these so called "experts" have very little say, if any at all, on who is cast and matched together. I think production has more say in it all because they want drama matches and a certain look for tv. As well as the way they seem to find people for the show. I know I lost faith in this show long ago ever doing anything real and to match couples that have a chance. I think the whole let's match this one together with this one junk in the matchmaking episodes is just a joke at this point. Its another one of those wash, rinse, repeat things we see each season as well with how it goes.

2 hours ago, Soup333 said:

I wholeheartedly believe this is what happened. They are not a match at all and I can't root for them to say together - maybe that will change as the season wears on. To my introverted soul, she was a complete turn-off. Maybe Jephte isn't an introvert at all, but he was clearly uncomfortable with the lap dance and her loud talk of masturbation and "you're stuck with me now." I don't know if she's just desperate to have him like her or if she's like this all the time, but that would be exhausting to me. And if she didn't notice - or did notice but didn't care about him being so clearly put off by her words and actions, that's a shame. She needed a guy that would have jokingly asked her what kind of toys she prefers, not someone who reacted as he did. It would have been classless and tacky, but so was her admission (at that time and place, not talking about masturbation in general).

I don't think he is an introvert....which I honestly get tired of seeing it tossed in each season on these people when there is no way they would be doing this mess if they were. I just think he is not as blunt and overly open as she is so she makes him look a certain way at this point. I do wonder why he signed up for this show though as he does seemed more reserved on things...so far. And he is already showing concern for how things will come off when it comes to his job....that he should have thought about though before signing the contract for this show IMO. Yet she obviously is not good at understanding some people do have boundaries. As well as there are those that need time to warm up to a person by getting to know them. So far though she has shown not an ounce of respect towards him and its not a good way to start things off for them. 

2 hours ago, Lily247 said:

Molly seemed more shocked and indignant at Jon's former company for not allowing him to stay while doing the show, rather than shocked and indignant at Jon for willingly leaving his place of employment in order to participate on a reality show. Her reaction was also fairly immature sounding to me: "What do you mean, they didnt let you do the show?!" Shame on them !! I just met you but you seem super smart and I have no doubt that you will find another job in 2 seconds. What do you do again ?

LMAO I was getting the feeling he was tossing the whole applied for other jobs and such in the mix was a way to say but I shouldn't be unemployed for long in hopes it would help ease that news. Which because he is doing a show and IF he is trying to find the job while doing it that could hurt his chances of finding one. You are right she did sound a somewhat immature with it and really to assume he will have no trouble finding one was pretty laughable. 

39 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

This show is one of my guilty pleasures, so I am glad it is back. I really wish they would make some effort to match people by things they like to do, general goals and values in life, and most importantly: what they want in a partner. Making people because they both come from large families is silly-what does that have to do with marriage?

It's pretty early on, but so far I don't think any of the three couples seem all that well matched. They are all matched in looks (IMO), but that is about it. I think in the end, you are either attracted to someone or not, and if not you have to work much harder to want to stay married. Ryan seemed like he was attracted to Jaclyn, but not sure about the other two. Honestly don't think any of the three brides were all that thrilled. 

Sadly we know they will only ever match for what drama could come from things and not for making true genuine matches that could work out. Season after season we see these people come in to say they like this or that in a person and end up with the opposite of it all....and in a way that is set up to create drama and nothing more. During the whole season we get reminded why the couples were matched and its always a joke. They are never good reasons for matching. Like the large families is not the reason to match them because look at what we have seen so far. How is that a good match there? We already see so much wrong with that pairing. Matching off faith, a loss or because one is more outgoing then the other is not the best either. 

I am with you on they are evenly matched in looks and that is it. I am just not seeing it with these couples. Which even the previews were just nothing more then drama and all the wrong that seems to end up going down. Was there even one happy moment with each couple in those previews and I just missed it because the drama overshadowed it? 

• Love 6