Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Meri Moving?

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

i thought it was meri and kody were the ones that had the jobs.  meri lost her job because of sister wives show.  at least that is how i remember it.  i watched the first season and sort of, kind of, started watching again, sort of, when robin came along.

i was surpised to see how much weight meri put on and how red/brown her skin got.  meri was the best looking one the first season. 

someone up thread said that christine was the least liked.  is the family or the people here?

Meri, Janelle and the douche had jobs.  Christine stayed home to watch the kids.  Despite the fact that Meri was a major beyotch then, the Browns overall were happier than they are now.

If Meri (and to an extent Janelle) had any common sense, they would Air bnb the empty rooms in the LV homes and play up the "stay with the sister wives" aspect.  Even offer shuttle services for extra $$ or uber.  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Meri, Janelle and the douche had jobs.  Christine stayed home to watch the kids.  Despite the fact that Meri was a major beyotch then, the Browns overall were happier than they are now.

If Meri (and to an extent Janelle) had any common sense, they would Air bnb the empty rooms in the LV homes and play up the "stay with the sister wives" aspect.  Even offer shuttle services for extra $$ or uber.  

What a great concept.  Could you just imagine breakfast with Janelle, tater tots smothered in processed cheese food and for an extra small fee, the experience of a dip in Meri's whirlpool tub by candlelight.  She may even scratch your loved one's initials on your soapy leg.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Just looked...their Bed and Breakfast only offers a Continental Breakfast!! Well that sucks...If Im staying there, I want the full velveeta tater tot cassarole spread...but wait...thats the other crazy religious family...nevermind.

• Love 8

Just a continental breakfast? Seriously?  You are not a real Bed and Breakfast if that is all you offer. You're just a Bed and Bagel. 

I mean it's not like the place is ever going to be bursting full of guests. Somebody can't fry a damn egg and nuke some bacon for two or three people?  What a load of crap.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Bed and Bagel - hee!

How much you want to bet it consists of some instant coffee, a can of fruit cocktail and some Little Debbie Donuts.

According to the Facebook page comments, you get cinnamon rolls. But only between 8-10 am.  Late sleepers are SOL I guess...

I'll stay at the $60 a night Airbnb down the road, no breakfast but i can make my own in the kitchen after a good night's rest on the temprpedic mattress. 

• Love 2

The actual inn page still doesn't mention a menu/food at all , unless I just don't see it.

I have had breakfasts considered "Continental" that were pretty darn good but for some reason, to me, a Bed and Breakfast screams homemade delicious fare. Do they serve lunch, dinner ??

• Love 2

Most B&Bs that offer meals brag about their food. I've stayed at a couple of awesome Airbnb's with decent fare - the most memorable being one in Maui which was run by a gay couple, they offered delicious homemade pastries with guava jam they made from the fruit on their property. Not just at breakfast - but throughout the day. And cocktails at 4 pm.  I would definitely stay there again!! 

19 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The actual inn page still doesn't mention a menu/food at all , unless I just don't see it.

I have had breakfasts considered "Continental" that were pretty darn good but for some reason, to me, a Bed and Breakfast screams homemade delicious fare. Do they serve lunch, dinner ??

The website is super lame. You would think she'd invest in a social media person to jazz it up. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

28 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

According to the Facebook page comments, you get cinnamon rolls. But only between 8-10 am.  Late sleepers are SOL I guess...

I'll stay at the $60 a night Airbnb down the road, no breakfast but i can make my own in the kitchen after a good night's rest on the temprpedic mattress. 

Cinnamon rolls. Cinnamon rolls? Seriously?  The place was Victoria's before and it's on TripAdvisor with just 5 reviews, but one review mentions a breakfast that was cooked to order. Kinda need the breakfast in the B&B Meri! See below. 

Edited to add: They won't be receiving very good reviews without a cooked breakfast. I have not seen "Lizzie's Heritage Inn" on TripAdvisor yet, but it'll be fun to read reviews!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g57099-d5003376-Reviews-Victoria_s_Bed_and_Breakfast-Parowan_Utah.html#REVIEWS

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

It was on a bed and breakfast booking site.  No...only continental breafast from 8-10 in the am...no other meals.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Cinnamon rolls. Cinnamon rolls? Seriously?  The place was Victoria's before and it's on TripAdvisor with just 5 reviews, but one review mentions a breakfast that was cooked to order. Kinda need the breakfast in the B&B Meri! See below. 

Edited to add: They won't be receiving very good reviews without a cooked breakfast. I have not seen "Lizzie's Heritage Inn" on TripAdvisor yet, but it'll be fun to read reviews!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g57099-d5003376-Reviews-Victoria_s_Bed_and_Breakfast-Parowan_Utah.html#REVIEWS

Yeah I'm wondering if the cinnamon rolls are from a can. 

Well the name is an INN not a B&B, so...

I'm guessing the spare building is going to be Meri's LulaRoom. LLR will never be mentioned in the show but I'm guessing that she's made enough to scrape up a down payment for this place. 

• Love 1

When I was 11 my family took a trip to Ireland. This was back in the day for sure, " Ireland on $5 a Day" times. Mostly we stayed at Bed and Breakfasts. In a 3 week period we stayed at 2 "fancy" hotels. Of course this was long ago, but the Bed and Breakfast stays are more memorable to me. Most were part of working farms, we met real families, and it was cozy. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I agree, some Continental breakfasts are delicious and more than enough - but some are dreadful, prepackaged crap. For our honeymoon we stayed at an inn that served a Continental breakfast, but it was quite a spread - bagels and cream cheese, muffins, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, egg casserole, toast, waffles, cereal, juices, coffee - it was delicious. They also had cookies and lemonade in the afternoon and wine and cheese in the evening.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Yeah I'm wondering if the cinnamon rolls are from a can. 

Well the name is an INN not a B&B, so...

I'm guessing the spare building is going to be Meri's LulaRoom. LLR will never be mentioned in the show but I'm guessing that she's made enough to scrape up a down payment for this place. 

That would make sense and if that's the case, they should all stop referring to it as a bed and breakfast. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

A rather nondescript neighborhood. Tell me again what guests are supposed to do? Just hang around the house, or maybe stroll across the unkempt street to check out the local FDLS wackadoo who goes by Parowan Prophet dot com? 

9C657989-F787-4C13-AC18-4311FB29FB6D.jpeg

The reviews on Tripadvisor said the location was good for visiting Bryce Cannon and Zion.  Close yet quiet and out of the way.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Wings said:

The reviews on Tripadvisor said the location was good for visiting Bryce Cannon and Zion.  Close yet quiet and out of the way.  

I saw that. Just not my jam - I prefer accomodations that are walking distance to places of interest like shopping, attractions, etc. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

That would make sense and if that's the case, they should all stop referring to it as a bed and breakfast. 

Yeah, didn't Meri say she wanted to open a bed and breakfast when she was telling Robyn her plans? And again when she was telling the group? And Christine said she always wanted to open a B & B? 

If there is no breakfast, they need to stop suggesting that's what the place is when talking about it on the show. It may technically be named an "inn," but repeatedly referencing it as being a B&B feels a bit like false advertising. Or at least evidence Meri doesn't know the difference.

1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

I agree, some Continental breakfasts are delicious and more than enough - but some are dreadful, prepackaged crap. For our honeymoon we stayed at an inn that served a Continental breakfast, but it was quite a spread - bagels and cream cheese, muffins, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, egg casserole, toast, waffles, cereal, juices, coffee - it was delicious. They also had cookies and lemonade in the afternoon and wine and cheese in the evening.

That may not be a full cooked-to-order breakfast, but it sounds delicious like more than the continental breakfasts I've encountered, yum! It also sounds like a lot more trouble than Meri would ever go to for the three or four guests she will see in a month. I'm picturing tea and coffee from a Keurig (which guests make themselves), those little boxes of sugary cereal and oatmeal in envelopes, maybe a few donuts and bagels from the grocery deli with little mini tubs of Philly cream cheese, and a bowl of past-their-prime red delicious apples.  For special occasions, Meri will warm up a tray of those pre-packaged cinnamon pecan rolls and call it a day. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I saw that. Just not my jam - I prefer accomodations that are walking distance to places of interest like shopping, attractions, etc. 

Some people don't mind driving to attractions, but I agree with you 100% - I want to park my car and not need it again until it's time to check out. different types of vacations, I guess, but it would still be an advantage to have at least something to do nearby.

Let's visit the horror movie decor again.  It is so hideous words elude me.  And you know she is not going to change a thing. 

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x80b55abcf5ff9ca3%3A0x273f9a159bd6e212!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Fostrovok.ru%2Frooms%2Fvictorias_bed_and_breakfast%2F!5svictoria's bed and breakfast in utah - Google Search&imagekey=!1e1!2shttps%3A%2F%2Fcdn.ostrovok.ru%2Ft%2F1024x768%2Fmec%2Fhotels%2F10000000%2F9180000%2F9174000%2F9173919%2F9173919_15_b.jpg&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi27KqJ1drYAhUV3mMKHZ7oDzgQoioIjAEwCg

Just now, DakotaJustice said:

So do I.  I don't like bed and breakfast places at all.  Give me a clean motel with cable and a restaurant near by or a hotel room in a city with room service, where no car is needed.  I don't eat breakfast so why pay the extra for that.  

We stayed in a B&B once. Breakfast was stuffed French toast that was over the top sweet and the cream cheese in the center was a bad idea!  Hot cream cheese does not work.  They had no other choices.  Oh and they brewed the coffee with cinnamon.   

2 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I'm picturing tea and coffee from a Keurig (which guests make themselves), those little boxes of sugary cereal and oatmeal in envelopes, maybe a few donuts and bagels from the grocery deli with little mini tubs of Philly cream cheese, and a bowl of past-their-prime red delicious apples.  For special occasions, Meri will warm up a tray of those pre-packaged cinnamon pecan rolls and call it a day. 

Hahaha, yes those are the ones that give Continental breakfasts a bad name!

• Love 1

I'm guessing that initially she'll have guests from her fanbase. 

I saw a comment on the FB page from someone saying that they're planning on "stopping by" during their road trip. 

I think at the price she's asking (really high for that area) she'll get a lot of drive by lookie loos taking photos but not actually staying there. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I'm picturing tea and coffee from a Keurig (which guests make themselves), those little boxes of sugary cereal and oatmeal in envelopes, maybe a few donuts and bagels from the grocery deli with little mini tubs of Philly cream cheese, and a bowl of past-their-prime red delicious apples.  For special occasions, Meri will warm up a tray of those pre-packaged cinnamon pecan rolls and call it a day. 

This is the crap most motels offer.  I walk right by and get a cup of coffee to take to my room. 

• Love 3

I was going to reference the MacCallum House in Mendocino - great amenities and AMAZING breakfast that you can choose from the menu (their bacon is to die for) but I see they're not really calling themselves a B&B anymore. Still, they're awesome!

Tell me again what guests are supposed to do? Just hang around the house, or maybe stroll across the unkempt street to check out the local FDLS wackadoo who goes by Parowan Prophet dot com? 

Prime example of the first rule of real estate - location, location, location.  If I drove up to see that view across the road, I'd keep on driving.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Prime example of the first rule of real estate - location, location, location.  If I drove up to see that view across the road, I'd keep on driving.

When I saw this on the show, I thought you have got to be kidding.  That neighborhood is a dump.  No way would I pay good money to stay there.  But hey, they have a ghost.   They can market it with a ghost!!!  Yeah, no.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Wings said:

They could very well get some folks who couldn't find accommodations closer to these parks. People are willing to drove a LONG way to visit national parks. We get people visiting Vegas who drive 4 hours to the Grand Canyon just for a day trip. 

And I just checked the website again--did they recently add the information about meals (continental breakfast)? I swear I didn't see it earlier. I hope they have more to offer than cinnamon rolls because some people--like me--don't want a bready sugar bomb for breakfast. It would be nice if the site said what items were available; all I saw on the FB page was "Lizzie's Heritage Inn features a breakfast with our special homemade cinnamon rolls!"

• Love 3

I stayed in a B&B once (highly rated) and I hated it!  She cooked a full breakfast and put the plate in front of you.  Unfortunately she didn't ask what we would like and I couldn't eat half of the stuff she prepared (stomach problems).  I'm sure she was unhappy that I left all of that food on my plate but she was the one who assumed we could all eat the breakfast she served. And as soon as breakfast was done, time to go.  Get out of my house!  I'd much rather stay at a Hampton Inn where breakfast is usually disappointing, but it gets you to lunch okay.

On the other hand, my favorite Baltimore hotel serves a fabulous "continental" breakfast with all kinds of fresh fruit and really yummy pastries along with lots of other stuff.  And has a pre-dinner wine reception.  I guess since it is Utah, Meri won't be having a wine reception.

• Love 3

Public record shows that Meri has a $346k mortgage on the property. Yikes. 

And wasn't that around the price of the LV house?  You know that they haven't got any equity in those places so she could conceivably have mortgages for over $700,000 and virtually no income.  And certainly no retirement savings.  And potentially little social security since I can't fathom the Brown Brain Trust putting a single dime aside.  She'd better plan on dying young.

• Love 1

I've read that the people who had their houses done over by Chip and Joanna turned them into not so much b&bs but Airnb's and made a LOT of cash just off the cachet.  And apparently the homes became tourist attractions anyway making them difficult to live in with people looking through your windows.  Yikes!

And Meri's notoriety will keep those rooms filled at least for a while during the summer when people come in droves to those National Parks.  And there really isn't any place to stay without driving unless you have a huge budget to stay IN the park -- that's part of the stunning beauty.  Maybe if you pay extra you can listen to Meri whine before you go explore Bryce and Zion.  Tempting.  :D

• Love 2

I wonder how much money she put down, cause that is looking like one expensive B&B. All that furnishing doesn't amount to much and unless there has been some recent major renovation of the major systems and roof, I have no idea why a place like that in Parawan would cost so much. The interior looks like it could use some upgrades- rip out all that smell-holding and allergy-inducing carpet and go back to hardwood floors, get rid of all the floral wallpaper and borders, and do Victorian/19th Century the non-commercial, non-Touch of Class way (including the bed coverings and window treatments).

And while we are on it-breakfast. Homemade cinnamon rolls or scones prepped the night before, Mormon Funeral Potatoes (prepped the night before too), Eggs Your Way, fruit. Not that difficult.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

I stayed in a B&B once (highly rated) and I hated it!  She cooked a full breakfast and put the plate in front of you.  Unfortunately she didn't ask what we would like and I couldn't eat half of the stuff she prepared (stomach problems).  I'm sure she was unhappy that I left all of that food on my plate but she was the one who assumed we could all eat the breakfast she served. And as soon as breakfast was done, time to go.  Get out of my house!  I'd much rather stay at a Hampton Inn where breakfast is usually disappointing, but it gets you to lunch okay.

On the other hand, my favorite Baltimore hotel serves a fabulous "continental" breakfast with all kinds of fresh fruit and really yummy pastries along with lots of other stuff.  And has a pre-dinner wine reception.  I guess since it is Utah, Meri won't be having a wine reception.

B & B's are too intimate for my taste. I prefer a larger inn, which can be a great compromise between a B & B and a chain hotel. On our honeymoon we stayed at an amazing place in Massachusetts that combined the best qualities of both - 21 rooms with private baths, daily maid service, great buffet-style Continental breakfast with a large dining table but also separate smaller tables. Always someone at the check-in, but staff was discreet. The decor was that of a quaint harborside inn, with common sitting rooms, etc, but with the amenites of a larger hotel. I loved it.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

The whole broke-down broke-ass town looks like that. It's more than a wide spot in the road but not much more. One northbound and one southbound exit off I-15. About 6 square miles, population less than 3000. Brian Head is about 20 minutes/12 miles away, along a state highway. Cedar City with a population of 31,000 is the same time/distance from BH and has beaucoup hotels, motels and cabins - most of which are much nicer and much cheaper than Meri's rates. Also, CC has restaurants and grocery stores. The only thing to like about Parowan is its reflection in your rearview mirror. 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

And while we are on it-breakfast. Homemade cinnamon rolls or scones prepped the night before, Mormon Funeral Potatoes (prepped the night before too), Eggs Your Way, fruit. Not that difficult.

What are Mormon Funeral Potatoes?

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Emma C said:

What are Mormon Funeral Potatoes?

OMG. I know we had this discussion somewhere back in one of these threads but I will run it out here plus post in Small Talk. It is a dish that all good Mormon families historically made to take to funerals. My family makes it for Christmas morning and calls it Death By Christmas. On Pintrest it goes by a thousand other names. A bag of hash brown potatoes, a can of cream of chicken soup, a 16 oz. tub of sour cream, one half chopped onion, 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 cups shredded Mont Jack cheese, s/p and we add cooked diced bacon. 9X13 pan. Mix up corn flakes and 1/4 cup melted butter, spread on top. 425 degrees for 35-45 minutes (cover if top stops burning). YOU WILL EAT THE ENTIRE PAN IN ONE SITTING. You can change up the cheese and meat to your liking.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 3

Cedar City is by far the better choice.  My daughter laughed when I asked her if they'd stop in Parawan.  It was like only if it was an emergency potty break for the kids.  They do stay in Cedar City to break the drive from LA to Park City.  With kids they much prefer regular hotels with amenities and some immediate restaurant and shopping choices.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And wasn't that around the price of the LV house?  You know that they haven't got any equity in those places so she could conceivably have mortgages for over $700,000 and virtually no income.  And certainly no retirement savings.  And potentially little social security since I can't fathom the Brown Brain Trust putting a single dime aside.  She'd better plan on dying young.

The LV house was about $440,000.  While they probably haven't paid down much (if anything) on the principal, Zillow does show the houses have appreciated to the $700,000 range.  Technically, they do have equity.  If they sold Meri's house, they could take the profit and pay down the mortgages on the other three houses (if they didn't already spend all of it on second mortgages for Mykelti and FT's wedding).

27 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

OMG. I know we had this discussion somewhere back in one of these threads but I will run it out here plus post in Small Talk. It is a dish that all good Mormon families historically made to take to funerals. My family makes it for Christmas morning and calls it Death By Christmas. On Pintrest it goes by a thousand other names. A bag of hash brown potatoes, a can of cream of chicken soup, a 16 oz. tub of sour cream, one half chopped onion, 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 cups shredded Mont Jack cheese, s/p and we add cooked diced bacon. 9X13 pan. Mix up corn flakes and 1/4 cup melted butter, spread on top. 425 degrees for 35-45 minutes (cover if top stops burning). YOU WILL EAT THE ENTIRE PAN IN ONE SITTING. You can change up the cheese and meat to your liking.

I LOVE funeral potatoes! Never tried bacon, will be doing that. I use Jack and Cheddar, and green onions, and top it with Ritz cracker crumbs (because one time I didn't have corn flakes but did have Ritz and now I prefer it that way). Many years ago I learned to always make two pans - one for immediate access, uh, quality control, and one for wherever/whoever I'm (grudgingly) obligated to share it with. (Boo!) And the greedy bastards always leave me with an empty pan. Have the Browns ever done FP on the show?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

Public record shows that Meri has a $346k mortgage on the property. Yikes. 

That is very inexpensive for the size of that thing.  

1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

B & B's are too intimate for my taste. I prefer a larger inn, which can be a great compromise between a B & B and a chain hotel. On our honeymoon we stayed at an amazing place in Massachusetts that combined the best qualities of both - 21 rooms with private baths, daily maid service, great buffet-style Continental breakfast with a large dining table but also separate smaller tables. Always someone at the check-in, but staff was discreet. The decor was that of a quaint harborside inn, with common sitting rooms, etc, but with the amenites of a larger hotel. I loved it.

I am from MA, where is this Inn?  Sounds perfect. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Have the Browns ever done FP on the show?

Not that I can remember.

5 minutes ago, suomi said:

The lot is 18216 sf, so 0.42 acre.

It looked like more land, so the money is in the house. 

1 hour ago, Wings said:

That is very inexpensive for the size of that thing.  

Not necessarily for Hole-in-the-Wall, Utah. Basically four bedrooms (maybe 5?), but all the rooms in the house are small and flow stinks. It's also been modified for commercial use. It would be interesting to compare it's value to other B&Bs in town. But she is also purchasing a family home; again it would be interesting to see comps. But since we have no idea what has been done to the place as far as improvements it would be difficult to compare (damn them for not listing it!). 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

While they probably haven't paid down much (if anything) on the principal, Zillow does show the houses have appreciated to the $700,000 range. 

Not being from that area, I guess anything is possible. However, Zillow has a pretty poor reputation for being anywhere near the ballpark for their estimates.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

The LV house was about $440,000.  While they probably haven't paid down much (if anything) on the principal, Zillow does show the houses have appreciated to the $700,000 range.  Technically, they do have equity.  If they sold Meri's house, they could take the profit and pay down the mortgages on the other three houses (if they didn't already spend all of it on second mortgages for Mykelti and FT's wedding).

Were you able to find the estimated value for the B&B property by chance?