Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

My friend keeps wanting to see the movies because she liked the previous Superman and Batman movies and thinks they are go to be like those. After Justice League she said she's no longer interested in seeing Aquaman. It's not that Aquaman was a bad character in the movie, she doens't want to have do research on him to get the movie.  Plus if the humor was added afterwards, is Aquaman going to go back to being underwater Batman in his movie? The 96 Million is earned IMO.  DC did this to themselves. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

Snyder was definitely more "this is for comic fans" then anything else which helped his movies underperform. But WB seems lazy when it comes to DC. MoS underperformed so we'll give Snyder the key to our entire franchise! Green Lantern underperformed so we'll give Berlanti his own network. 

Aquaman should've had his own solo movie before JL. Flash didn'tneed one since the tv show tells you enough about him,  Cyborg was fine being introduced in JL even though they cut a lot of his origins that they filmed. 

But DC didn't want another BvS so they Frankenstein the movie instead of just bringing in a brand new team all together and pushing the film back a couple of months. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Snyder was definitely more "this is for comic fans" then anything else which helped his movies underperform.

I may not be a die-hard comic fan, but in no comic or graphic novel that I've read, was Superman a dark, angsty character, or Batman, a murdering torturer. An asshole? Yes. Obsessed? Without a doubt. A man-whore? Undoubtedly. But he cares about his fellow man. I didn't see any of that in the Snyder films. He was more about "this is for ME!" 

In my opinion.

• Love 8
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

I may not be a die-hard comic fan, but in no comic or graphic novel that I've read, was Superman a dark, angsty character, or Batman, a murdering torturer. An asshole? Yes. Obsessed? Without a doubt. A man-whore? Undoubtedly. But he cares about his fellow man. I didn't see any of that in the Snyder films. He was more about "this is for ME!" 

In my opinion.

Snyder's Batman was an adaption from The Dark Knight by Frank Miller where I believe he was all those things. His Superman? Yeah he definitely made him into the opposite of who the character is and I believe their is a quote somewhere of Snyder saying he didn't get the character before he came onboard to MoS. But BvS was definitely filled with a lot of things only die hard fans would understand I feel like and I think he even said it was for those fans. 

But someone summed up Snyder pretty perfectly in that he is ok with adapting stories panel to panel but when he tries to go outside that formnat he fails. I think he has great ideas and would love for him to stay on as a creative consultant but other then that, he has no place being in charge of these characters. 

5 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Snyder's Batman was an adaption from The Dark Knight by Frank Miller

In that one off graphic novel, Superman was the government's tool.  And also older. Cavill's Supes wasn't anywhere near that. And Miller's Bats was forced out of retirement, as he was in his 50s. These are just some examples of why I hate Snyder and his mishmashing everything. Supes, Bats, Barry, they are all supposed to be contemporaries. Ezra's Barry is more like BART.

Yeah, Snyder comes up with decent ideas and can make good adaptations of very stylistic things (like 300) but he isn't very good at follow through, and his dialogue and character work is shoddy as hell. He thinks making all his characters angsty and uber macho makes for a good movie, and it doesn't work unless its under specific circumstances. Hell, all the best lines in my favorite of his movies, 300, were lines written by the actual Spartans, and not Snyder and his crew. 

DC also, as others have said, relies way too much on the audience just knowing who these characters are, and how their world works. Because they have the most famous characters, they assume the audience will follow perfectly, even if most of the weirdest stuff about the movies (Atlantis, Green Lanterns) are just thrown out there like everyone did research, or is already a fan. And yet, they make so many changes, the fans arent usually thrilled either. Really, I think losing their marquee characters (X Men, FF) and having to rely on less famous characters and parts of their universe was a blessing in disguise for the MCU. Because they knew their characters weren't super well known, they made sure that they showed each characters personality, powers, skills, and backstory, as well as how their world works. They have plenty of Easter Eggs for the fans, but it also appeals to the non fans who are just watching the movies. They had to work to get people behind these characters, they couldn't just rely on past knowledge like DC.

• Love 10

I think The Dark Knight Returns is one of the most overrated comic books ever and a huge mistake to adapt in general but especially to start off a movie franchise.  I did enjoy watching all the die hard comic fans, who'd raved about TDKR for years and thought I was the weird one, hating that movie for the very reasons I hate that comic.  That and Wonder Woman made the experience worth it for me.

There are any number of things Warner Bros can do to improve going forward but two come to mind that I think could help a lot in the short term and, if they work, could also pay off big time in the long term. 

The first is putting someone new in charge.  That seems like a given, since Snyder's vision has been poorly received and everyone talks about Feige's success overseeing the MCU, but it hasn't been yet.  WB needs to suck it up, admit their mistake and move on.  The person (or persons, a partnership can work just fine) needs to be In Charge.  I don't think they should helm a movie at all, but be the franchise showrunner.  They can place a DC person in charge if they want, but not Geoff Johns.  Like everyone else has said, place someone from DC animation in charge.  It can be a writer who wants more responsibility, a producer who wants the same, I don't care, just use animation to their advantage for once.  And that even has the benefit of being different from Marvel, since their animation department doesn't hold a candle to DC and therefore aren't a valuable resource.

The second is to start adapting specific stories.  BvS was based on The Dark Knight Returns like I said, but that's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about a Winter Soldier, Civil War, or Days Of Future Past (not Marvel but still) type adaptation.  Take beloved DC stories, tweak them a bit to fit the movie, keep the title, and that will get people excited as well as increase the chances of success.  They don't have to do that for every movie, because directors like Patty Jenkins have proven they don't need it, but it's a smart and safe move. 

There are many other things they can do but I think these two would be a good start.

• Love 5

That's also another mistake they made, they made all their heroes dour and cynical. A team up movie is more fun when you have different personalities working together. In Justice League the heroes acted like it was their chore to save the world, instead of doing it because it was right thing to do. That's why Whedon's jokes felt out to place, most of the time they were all "I'm so angry and bitter and don't care about anything or anyone, but let me crack a joke once or twice" "Oh the world is ending, *sigh* I better go save it." If that Joss's effort, did Snyder's movie have no humanity in it? Was it just a bunch of bitter over powered God like people and Batman fighting a CGI villain? 

• Love 1

Kord Industries has been mentioned several times on Arrow, but apparently has an office building in Central City...

The Flash Season 4 Spoiler - Kord Industries Crime Scene
Published on Nov 18, 2017, by Celebrity WotNot

Final weekend box office is actually a little lower than predicted on Sunday...

Box Office: ‘Justice League’ Comes Up Short With $94 Million U.S. Debut
By Dave McNary  November 20, 2017
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/justice-league-box-office-final-opening-gross-1202618983/

Warner Bros.-DC’s costly “Justice League” misfired with a $94 million opening weekend at the North American box office — $2 million short of the studio’s estimates on Sunday.

The final result caps a disappointing domestic debut that fell far short of expectations, which had been at $110 million before “Justice League” opened on Friday at 4,051 locations. “Justice League” wound up launching with only the eighth-largest opening of 2017 and ranks as the 56th-biggest domestic launch of all time behind 2014’s “Guardians of the Galaxy.”

Jeff Goldstein, president of domestic distribution at Warner Bros., said Sunday there were several positive signs such as a 28% hike in business from Friday to Saturday and the start of Thanksgiving vacations this week. Stakes are particularly high for Warner Bros., which hasn’t revealed the cost of “Justice League” — estimated to be as much as $300 million.

The movie is the fifth installment of its DC Extended Universe, aimed at duplicating the success of Disney-Marvel’s interconnected franchises. And it’s by far the lowest launch, trailing “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” ($166 million), “Suicide Squad” ($133 million), “Man of Steel” ($116 million), and “Wonder Woman” ($103 million).
“Justice League” also grossed $185 million from 47 international territories over the weekend, led by China at $51.8  million.

Youtube version (this looks awesome)...

-- Oliver: "We're going to show these people that this Earth belongs to us!"

-- Felicity: "We will not surrender. We will not back down. We will keep fighting. So get the hell off our Earth while you still can!"

DCTV Crisis on Earth-X Crossover Full Trailer - The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, DC's Legends (HD)
Published on Nov 20, 2017, by TV Promos

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Barry: "What can I say? I got the girl."
Cecile or Caitlin?: "Cheers, Iris. To your big day."
Iris: "Thanks, girls."
Kara: "It feels so good to just be away from it all."
Oliver: "I can't believe you're really doing this."
Barry: "If I can get my happy ending, so can you."
Oliver: "I'm supposed to be the all-knowing mentor."
Joe: "Barry. Iris. Thank you... for showing me how to love again. For showing me that love is the most important thing that we have."
Sara; "We got incoming."
Iris: "You have got to be kidding me!"
Oliver: "Nazis?!"
Kara: "I hate Nazis."
Kara: "Get everybody out of here!"
Mick: "Best wedding ever!"
Iris: "Why would Nazis from 1945 want to crash my wedding?"
Mick: "Crab legs. They were delicious."
Barry: "Visitors from another Earth?"
Jax: "Oh, there are more than one?"
Kara: "There are 52, actually."
Wells: "There's a 53rd Earth. It's called Earth-X."
Earth-X Nazi Leader: "Hail, Victory."
Earth-X Nazi Soldiers: "Hail, Fuhrer!"
Earth-X Kara: "They want someone to bow to. To worship. To lead."
Kara: "What you're doing is not leading. It's ruling."
Earth-X Nazi Leader: "Ready!  Aim!  Kill them all!"
Nick: "Jace is hit!"
Oliver: "We're going to show these people that this Earth belongs to us!"
Felicity: "We will not surrender. We will not back down. We will keep fighting. So get the hell off our Earth while you still can!"
Oliver: "Thanks for your help."
Citizen Cold: "We're not done helping yet. Our enemies are still on your Earth, Ollie."
Oliver: "Don't call me that!"
Citizen Cold: "Give it time. I'll get through that crusty exterior."
Sara: "No. You really won't."
Citizen Cold: "I was talking to you."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Earth-X Kara: "They want someone to bow to. To worship. To lead."

Loki: "Is this not simpler? Is this not your natural state? It's the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life's joy in a mad scramble for power. For identity. You were made to be ruled. In the end, you will always kneel." 
(Marvel's The Avengers - scene in Germany)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Loki: "Is this not simpler? Is this not your natural state? It's the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life's joy in a mad scramble for power. For identity. You were made to be ruled. In the end, you will always kneel." 
(Marvel's The Avengers - scene in Germany)

Loki was just...but Tom Hiddleston just makes him so damn charming!

10 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I don't know what WB was thinking bringing joss on when his style is so different from Snyder's. And the amount of deleted scenes this movie has is whew! The Iris scene was leaked and it truly was a little cameo. 

It sounds like a hodgepodge but I can only imagine how much worse it would have been without intervention.   

• Love 1

Damn it, I have been super apprehensive about this crossover, but that looked really freaking cool. I am cautiously pumped. The couple stuff looks adorable, I love seeing characters from the different shows interact, and I love the fact that everyone apparently brings their weapons to the wedding! A + for preparedness guys!

You know, if I wanted to assassinate Barry, maybe I would have attacked him while he was asleep, not in broad daylight surrounded by his super friends. But, I`m not a dimension hoping Nazi, so what do I know?

It actually weird me out a bit that no one told the Legends crew that the multiverse exists. This is the thing you share with your friends, guys! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7
Just now, JamieLynn832002 said:

Yeah, the fact the Legends don't know about the multiverse, despite interacting with several people from other Earths, seems off. I can understand them having less info/contact than the others but wouldn't it have come up when Stein met H.R.? 

Seriously, it should've been the new teammate asking that question. I swear Kara mentioned being from another earth in their presence.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

Yeah, the fact the Legends don't know about the multiverse, despite interacting with several people from other Earths, seems off. I can understand them having less info/contact than the others but wouldn't it have come up when Stein met H.R.? 

Isn't Kara the only one majority of them have interacted with? They could think there is just 2.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bettername2come said:

Cisco throwing a breach and Oliver jumping out firing his bow may be my new favorite action visual of the Arrowverse. It just works.

ETA: I giffed it.

tumblr_ozqud3XfbB1s43ptho1_400.gif

That's HOT. Like Oliver using his bow and arrow wearing a tuxedo???

"My name is Queen....Oliver Queen"

• Love 17
45 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Damn it, I have been super apprehensive about this crossover, but that looked really freaking cool. I am cautiously pumped. The couple stuff looks adorable, I love seeing characters from the different shows interact, and I love the fact that everyone apparently brings their weapons to the wedding! A + for preparedness guys!

You know, if I wanted to assassinate Barry, maybe I would have attacked him while he was asleep, not in broad daylight surrounded by his super friends. But, I`m not a dimension hoping Nazi, so what do I know?

It actually weird me out a bit that no one told the Legends crew that the multiverse exists. This is the thing you share with your friends, guys! 

I know this is just a typo, but it makes me laugh thinking that the Nazis are doing this because they just want proof of multiple dimensions.  Like, once they show up on Earth Prime and prove their theory, they'll be all "We knew it!  See ya!" and go home.  If they were dealing with anyone other than Nazis, this would be a real possibility. 

And any Legends who were present when Kara showed up knows about additional Earths, and Sara was present when Kara left with Cisco's dimension traveling device, so she specifically knows.  I'm going with they think there's just one other Earth in show and the geniuses at CW wanted one of the cast to express surprise for anyone tuning in for the first time (cause you know they're hoping for new viewers even if it makes no sense).  Since Flash routinely deals with other Earths, Siren's getting her terrorist on with Arrow, Kara's made the trip to Earth Prime a few times, and the Legends are the only ones who never deal with other Earths on their show, they drew the short straw.  I do agree that it should have been Zari if a newbie had to make a comment. 

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

Seriously, it should've been the new teammate asking that question. I swear Kara mentioned being from another earth in their presence.

They literally saw Barry, Cisco, and Kara come out of a breach last crossover. Legends should know.

• Love 2

Kara, I say this in the spirit of friendship:  Next week you will be meeting any number of attractive men and women who all, without exception, are more interesting than Mon-El.

Explore your options.

Explore.

• Love 21
19 minutes ago, quarks said:

Kara, I say this in the spirit of friendship:  Next week you will be meeting any number of attractive men and women who all, without exception, are more interesting than Mon-El.

Explore your options.

Explore.

But not Nazis. 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Trini said:

They literally saw Barry, Cisco, and Kara come out of a breach last crossover. Legends should know.

Zari didn't see that. If they needed someone to say that line it would've made more sense if it was her. 

• Love 2

Yeah that's sloppy writing. It makes Jax look like a moron.

Even Nate? He holds her in the trailer. 

Are they gonna have Nate somehow "save" Kara there. Because she is just as indestructible as he is and without having to turn into metal. 

Edited by Oreo2234
9 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

But not Nazis. 

She's got plenty of non-Nazi options!  That church had a lot of wedding guests!

10 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Even Nate? He holds her in the trailer. 

Definitely.

GO FOR THIS, KARA. HE'S ALREADY HOLDING YOU, and whatever else can or cannot be said about Nate, he's a) more interesting than Mon-El, and b) less likely to go an entire episode before letting you know that he's married. 

• Love 7