Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I know it was an easter egg but Ray did Kara looks like his cousin so I don't think he's be interested in her. 

Yeah,  my mind went to not incest- incest too...squick.

11 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

So the spoilers were true - he is married.  Wow do I not regret dropping that show. 

My issue honestly isn't that he's married - things happen, whatever.  In the all of ten seconds that we saw of her his wife seemed like a nice person.*  My issue is that he spent most of the episode not telling Kara (or anyone else) about this, thus putting his wife into danger.

I mean, yes, by this time I think we're all used to the Arrowverse characters keeping pointless secrets, but this one was particularly bad. 

* I should probably disclose that I initially encountered this particular comics character back when I was a very very small Quarks, so nostalgia may be coloring my reaction to the scene.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I know it was an easter egg but Ray did Kara looks like his cousin so I don't think he's be interested in her. 

Well if Iris and Barry can get married while being basically adopted siblings, I dont think that should matter much*. Ray and Kara would be adorable! And they arent actually related or raised together, so looking kind of like his cousin is hardly a deal breaker. Ray wouldn't have to be her fixer upper boyfriend, and I am pretty sure he would mention being married after being reunited after a long period of time, and Kara doesn't have any reincarnated lovers that we know about! Its perfect!

*I love Barry and Iris, but it will always be kind of weird that Joe calls both of them his kids. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, quarks said:

My issue honestly isn't that he's married - things happen, whatever.  In the all of ten seconds that we saw of her his wife seemed like a nice person.*  My issue is that he spent most of the episode not telling Kara (or anyone else) about this, thus putting his wife into danger.

I mean, yes, by this time I think we're all used to the Arrowverse characters keeping pointless secrets, but this one was particularly bad. 

Yeah that sounds pretty stupid.  

My issue with the married thing is just all the angst and drama.  I mean, if they're doing this to end Karamel and write Mon-El out, that's one thing, but I really hate it when marriage to another person is thrown in just as an obstacle for the show's OTP.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Well if Iris and Barry can get married while being basically adopted siblings, I dont think that should matter much*. Ray and Kara would be adorable! And they arent actually related or raised together, so looking kind of like his cousin is hardly a deal breaker. Ray wouldn't have to be her fixer upper boyfriend, and I am pretty sure he would mention being married after being reunited after a long period of time, and Kara doesn't have any reincarnated lovers that we know about! Its perfect!

And she shares some traits with Felicity but is also indestructible and can't be killed by randos on mirakuru! 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

My issue with the married thing is just all the angst and drama.  I mean, if they're doing this to end Karamel and write Mon-El out, that's one thing, but I really hate it when marriage to another person is thrown in just as an obstacle for the show's OTP.

If Karamel wasn't the endgame, why bring him back?  I give this marriage till the start of May sweeps.

And then Kara can get together again with the guy who didn't tell her he was married to another girl.

• Love 1

Kara's not going to try to end the marriage.  She's Supergirl after all. I bet she's going to be all noble and stoic and sad, sad, sad.

But there's no point in bringing back Mon El unless he ends up with Supergirl.  He's just not that interesting a character on his own.  (Give me J'onn every time.  Or even Winn or James, both of whom are less white bread than Mon El.)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If Karamel wasn't the endgame, why bring him back?  

Well, if CW wasn't still a series regular, I would say just to give some closure to that relationship so that Kara could move on.  Since he IS still a series regular, then yeah, likely the marriage isn't going to last, for whatever reasons.  But therein lies my problem with the whole thing.  I mean, this being Supergirl, I don't think the writers would go so far as to actually have him cheat on his wife with Kara.  But still.  Hence why I am no longer watching the show.  (Not the only reason, but it was definitely the breaking point.)

• Love 1

Saw this and thought it might start an interesting discussion. It also covers Hook and Felicity.

There's a mention here about Felicity: "But as time went on, she started to develop this sense of entitlement and I didn’t care for it." The contributor DOESN'T really explain it and I'm very curious (I might ask on the site) because this "entitlement" bit is something I've seen from her critics/haters and I could never get where it's coming from.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
added missed word "doesn't"
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, catrox14 said:

That's HOT. Like Oliver using his bow and arrow wearing a tuxedo???

"My name is Queen....Oliver Queen"

Maybe that's one reason Felicity decides to marry him LOL besides him being the love of her life 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Well, if CW wasn't still a series regular, I would say just to give some closure to that relationship so that Kara could move on.  Since he IS still a series regular, then yeah, likely the marriage isn't going to last, for whatever reasons.  But therein lies my problem with the whole thing.  I mean, this being Supergirl, I don't think the writers would go so far as to actually have him cheat on his wife with Kara.  But still.  Hence why I am no longer watching the show.  (Not the only reason, but it was definitely the breaking point.)

He didn't cheat on Kara.

BUT, when he woke up in the DEO's hospital thingy, he didn't tell Kara that it had been seven years for him and that he was now married - which was kinda important because, at that moment, HIS WIFE WAS TRAPPED IN A CAPSULE. But instead of telling anyone at the DEO, "Hey, I'll go into the details later, but for right now, my wife needs my help," he zipped off to a weapons storage room and knocked out some soldiers. When given a second chance to explain things so that he COULD GO RESCUE HIS WIFE, WHO, REPEAT, WAS TRAPPED IN A CAPSULE, he chose to sulk. When given a third chance, he was all like, WAIT, OH NOES, THE LIFE SUPPORT IN THE CAPSULE FAILED, which YES, MON-EL, THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE EXPLAINED THINGS EARLIER. 

....I just realized. This is all a conspiracy to make me like Barry Allen again, isn't it?

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, quarks said:

He didn't cheat on Kara.

BUT, when he woke up in the DEO's hospital thingy, he didn't tell Kara that it had been seven years for him and that he was now married - which was kinda important because, at that moment, HIS WIFE WAS TRAPPED IN A CAPSULE. But instead of telling anyone at the DEO, "Hey, I'll go into the details later, but for right now, my wife needs my help," he zipped off to a weapons storage room and knocked out some soldiers. When given a second chance to explain things so that he COULD GO RESCUE HIS WIFE, WHO, REPEAT, WAS TRAPPED IN A CAPSULE, he chose to sulk. When given a third chance, he was all like, WAIT, OH NOES, THE LIFE SUPPORT IN THE CAPSULE FAILED, which YES, MON-EL, THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE EXPLAINED THINGS EARLIER. 

....I just realized. This is all a conspiracy to make me like Barry Allen again, isn't it?

ROFL.  Barry things are looking up for you. :)

No, I wasn't meaning this episode in particular.  I was just meaning that I anticipate this being the beginning of a super angsty season-long triangle between Kara, Mon-El, and Mon-El's wife (who is Saturn Girl I'm assuming?).  I just don't think they'd go as far as to have Mon-El cheat, like OUAT did with Robin and Regina.  

33 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

ROFL.  Barry things are looking up for you. :)

No, I wasn't meaning this episode in particular.  I was just meaning that I anticipate this being the beginning of a super angsty season-long triangle between Kara, Mon-El, and Mon-El's wife (who is Saturn Girl I'm assuming?).  I just don't think they'd go as far as to have Mon-El cheat, like OUAT did with Robin and Regina.  

Mon-El called her Irma, so yeah, I think she's Saturn Girl.

3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Even Nate? He holds her in the trailer. 

To save Amaya from him, I'll make the sacrifice.  

3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Ah, but right before he made that observation, they'd mentioned that Felicity looked a lot like Kara, so I'm not seeing a problem, lol.   

2 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Saw this and thought it might start an interesting discussion. It also covers Hook and Felicity.

There's a mention here about Felicity: "But as time went on, she started to develop this sense of entitlement and I didn’t care for it." The contributor really explains it and I'm very curious (I might ask on the site) because this "entitlement" bit is something I've seen from her critics/haters and I could never get where it's coming from.

Often when I've seen the use of "entitlement" it came with people then complaining about her winning too much or being right most of the time or others apologizing to her or praising her.  Not sure how the actual meaning of the word would apply.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

To save Amaya from him, I'll make the sacrifice.  

Ah, but right before he made that observation, they'd mentioned that Felicity looked a lot like Kara, so I'm not seeing a problem, lol.   

Often when I've seen the use of "entitlement" it came with people then complaining about her winning too much or being right most of the time or others apologizing to her or praising her.  Not sure how the actual meaning of the word would apply.  

I've seen it and other phrases like it used in the context of the fact that she's not afraid to get in Oliver's face when she disagrees with him, and she isn't even a comics character *shock horror* basically when she stepped out of her comic relief/tech geek role. And with the whole wanting to be at least consulted about William, *even though she's not his biological parent so she has no right to a say whatsoever* type type thing. 

There's absolutely no chance this doesn't turn into an angsty mess of a "love triangle" or maybe quadrangle. I doubt they'll have Kara cheating with Mon El at all and she'll probably try and be happy for them and admire Saturn Girl but she'll end up pining and then Brainiac 5 shows up and the dance begins again. They didn't do this very well in S1 with James and Lucy and I have less faith here. 

So far it seems that LOT is the only Arrowverse show to head into S3 without romantic angst as a major plotline, unless you count Nate (Amaya seems over him right now although I doubt that will last). Albeit Barry and Iris didn't have a triangle but they had Savitar. 

7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Kara's not going to try to end the marriage.  She's Supergirl after all. I bet she's going to be all noble and stoic and sad, sad, sad.

But there's no point in bringing back Mon El unless he ends up with Supergirl.  He's just not that interesting a character on his own.  (Give me J'onn every time.  Or even Winn or James, both of whom are less white bread than Mon El.)

Mon-El is their story link to the Legion. They clearly always wanted to do Legion. Yeah, you could have him magically not come back and still do Legion but it would be weird as fuck if they put that much build up in already. And from what I understand he always had a 2 year contract. 

BUT, when he woke up in the DEO's hospital thingy, he didn't tell Kara that it had been seven years for him and that he was now married - which was kinda important because, at that moment, HIS WIFE WAS TRAPPED IN A CAPSULE. But instead of telling anyone at the DEO, "Hey, I'll go into the details later, but for right now, my wife needs my help," he zipped off to a weapons storage room and knocked out some soldiers. When given a second chance to explain things so that he COULD GO RESCUE HIS WIFE, WHO, REPEAT, WAS TRAPPED IN A CAPSULE, he chose to sulk. 

And it should be noted: 

1.) He tried to tell Kara something, presumably the wife thing when she was all over him on the hospital bed
2.) He broke into the storeroom to get the device which he used in the ship to activate the pods. Why does the DEO have something that fits right into a futuristic Legion ship, no idea But that's how it was used. 

At this point we have no idea why he is secretive (based on comic book Legion, probably some stupid rule about not telling Kara how she will die), but he clearly is about something, like when he told Kara she shouldn't have come for the ship at all, because even if he died it wouldn't be her concern anymore.  

And considering who Imra is, I wouldn't rule out that they have a telepathic link. We don't even know if she was in any danger before Mon-El put the ring device in the ship. Based on the spoilers it sounds like it might take some other Legion characters some time to wake up (considering there are 6 pods and we have heard only of 3 people so far). So it seems like at least some of them will be in the pods quite a bit longer (if it was as simple as just punching in the pods, why don't they just do that for all the pods, why don't we just have 6 Legionnaires running around immediately?). From what I can tell they were in the pods willingly. Maybe the whole point of stealing the device was to wake everybody at which point things started to malfunction. 

Personally, I'm just glad that the plot finally seems to be picking. Maybe it can finally gain some sense of urgency if it's important enough for the Legion to stop by. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, tofutan said:

And it should be noted: 

1.) He tried to tell Kara something, presumably the wife thing when she was all over him on the hospital bed
2.) He broke into the storeroom to get the device which he used in the ship to activate the pods. Why does the DEO have something that fits right into a futuristic Legion ship, no idea But that's how it was used. 

At this point we have no idea why he is secretive (based on comic book Legion, probably some stupid rule about not telling Kara how she will die), but he clearly is about something, like when he told Kara she shouldn't have come for the ship at all, because even if he died it wouldn't be her concern anymore.  

He had two separate opportunities to tell Kara something, though - the hospital bed and when he was in the cell. I can kinda handwave the hospital bed part, especially since, yes, he was clearly trying to tell Kara something there. But in the cell? She was already crying and hurt, and his wife was in a capsule. THAT WAS THE TIME TO SAY SOMETHING, Mon-El! 

And yeah, I'd say there's a good chance that he has a telepathic link with Irma, which presumably let him know that she was alive - which is presumably why he was desperate enough to break into a DEO weapons facility and knock a couple of people out. But since he was willing to do that, he should have been willing to tell her about Irma. 

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, quarks said:

He had two separate opportunities to tell Kara something, though - the hospital bed and when he was in the cell. I can kinda handwave the hospital bed part, especially since, yes, he was clearly trying to tell Kara something there. But in the cell? She was already crying and hurt, and his wife was in a capsule. THAT WAS THE TIME TO SAY SOMETHING, Mon-El! 

And yeah, I'd say there's a good chance that he has a telepathic link with Irma, which presumably let him know that she was alive - which is presumably why he was desperate enough to break into a DEO weapons facility and knock a couple of people out. But since he was willing to do that, he should have been willing to tell her about Irma. 

Or Imra was not in any danger in the pod till after Mon-El and Winn arrived and he tried to steal the ship part to activate the ship because he was trying to execute a mission while trying to tell Kara as little as possible about the mission (including not wanting to tell her originally that he's from the future because you are not supposed to tell people about future stuff). Maybe he was under orders not to tell Kara anything and that order will eventually be revoked once the boss arrives or wakes up. But I guess we'll see in the upcoming episodes just how forthcoming Imra and the other Legionnaires are with details or if they are all trying to hide some secret mission, not just Mon-El. 

I do think he should have told her about the wife (since he could have shared that without saying "btw, we are from the future and on some secret mission"), but I think he was trying to, or at least he was trying to get out of Kara kissing him as not to cheat on Imra. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, tofutan said:

Or Imra was not in any danger in the pod 

But this doesn't matter. 

In danger, not in danger, she was still trapped in a capsule.  Which, on its own, was bad enough that Mon-El was willing to break into a DEO weapons storage room and knock two soldiers out, and ask Winn to help him behind Kara's back.  He very clearly wanted her out of the capsule - that was the entire point of returning to the spaceship. 

And sure, maybe he was supposed to keep the mission and any information about the future secret - but Mon-El is an intelligent guy who knows Wynn well enough to know that Wynn would be able to put together some educated guesses about the capsules and the space ship, and yet he brought Wynn back to the spaceship.

I'm aware that the real reason for this was "SURPRISE TWIST ENDING AT THE END OF THE EPISODE," but in the meantime, it just convinced me that Irma can do better.

3 minutes ago, JenMD said:

Really random question from a non-comics person - why is Nazi Kara called Overgirl?

It's a parallel to the Nazi version of Kal-El/Superman, who is called Overman - similar to but not identical to Superman. I believe the names are from comics writer Grant Morrison - I think he was trying for something similar to but not identical to the Superman/Supergirl names. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, JenMD said:

Really random question from a non-comics person - why is Nazi Kara called Overgirl?

I found this doing a search.  I don't know how accurate it is....

On Earth-10, which was originally imagined by Grant Morrison in the 2007 DC series 52, the Nazis won World War II thanks to the Kryptonian child Kal-L, who landed in Czechoslovakia and was raised by Adolf Hitler and given the name “Overman.” (A similar Nazi Earth, “Earth-X,” appeared in 1973 in Justice League of America, but that version did not have Overman land on Earth. Instead, FDR died of a heart attack, which left the Allies vulnerable.)

In 2009’s Final Crisis, Morrison introduced Overgirl, an ordinary girl who received genetic material from Overman and inherited his powers, essentially becoming Overman’s “cousin.” So, not everything is exactly parallel in these parallel worlds, but it’s pretty close.

https://www.inverse.com/article/38584-supergirl-arrowverse-crossover-nazi-overgirl-explainer

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Well Overman sounds like a literall translation of Ubermensch. So i am guessing it might also be connected to that. 

Yes and our personal Nazi Germany's anthem contained the phrase "Uber Alles" (over everyone) so the name makes sense. 

• Love 2

In danger, not in danger, she was still trapped in a capsule.  

Or she was just sleeping in a travel stasis pod. Nobody seems to see any urgency to free the other pod people, so why should it be different for Imra? 

Which, on its own, was bad enough that Mon-El was willing to break into a DEO weapons storage room and knock two soldiers out, and ask Winn to help him behind Kara's back.  He very clearly wanted her out of the capsule - that was the entire point of returning to the spaceship. 

No it wasn't. He only started to try save Imra when the pod started failing after a malfunction happened AFTER Mon-El and Winn frizzed something up. We don't KNOW why he returned to the ship. Maybe he wanted to wake everybody up, not Imra specifically. For all he knew he wanted to fly the ship away and go back to sleep with the rest. WE DON'T KNOW. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, tofutan said:

Mon-El is their story link to the Legion. They clearly always wanted to do Legion. Yeah, you could have him magically not come back and still do Legion but it would be weird as fuck if they put that much build up in already. And from what I understand he always had a 2 year contract. 

Given how much time they invested in him last season and how deeply Kara fell in love with him, I'm expecting Mon El to be around longer.

As for why he didn't tell Kara right away, it's a classic soap opera play.  "If only X had told Y about the thing in the many chances X had, none of this five year mess would have happened."

Mon El could easily have told Kara that seven years had passed for him and he was married now. But then it wouldn't have had the same shock value.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

Apparently those are season highs for Supergirl? I guess that means that the people calling for a boycott for Mon-El's return episode weren't too successful. For the record, I think the most likely explanation is that the uptick is because the crossover means more advertising for all Superhero shows across the board. ie the uptick proves that Mon-El isn't ratings poison, but it doesn't prove that he is the reason for the okay ratings, it could also be caused by something else, like the crossover promotion. 

Mon El could easily have told Kara that seven years had passed for him and he was married now. 

I think it would have been hard to tell her that 7 years have passed without incurring serious questions and eventually having to spill that he's from the future. Especially with the whole "the ship is made from something not on the periodic table" stuff. 

But he could just have stopped Kara and said "sorry, there's somebody else". 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 1

IIRC the demos also went up a bit last week too. 

For the record, I think the most likely explanation is that the uptick is because the crossover means more advertising for all Superhero shows across the board. ie the uptick proves that Mon-El isn't ratings poison, but it doesn't prove that he is the reason for the okay ratings

And it should be noted that the ratings were even higher than that before Mon-el started getting a lot of screentime last year (though he isn't necessarily a cause of that loss).

Preliminary unrounded numbers from RJK at SpottedRatings:

Supergirl .................................. 0.529 ... (0.516 ... 0.541)
Valor ........................................ 0.221 ... (0.243 ... 0.199)

Also this:

The 0.541 is the highest for the 8:30 half-hour of SUPERGIRL this season.

• Love 1
On 11/20/2017 at 3:18 PM, tv echo said:

Citizen Cold: "Give it time. I'll get through that crusty exterior."
Sara: "No. You really won't."
Citizen Cold: "I was talking to you."

Since I really shipped Sara/Cold, I hate it that they are teasing it again when Miller is leaving for good.  #Don'tMessWithMyEmotions

• Love 10

I just received my new print issue of TV Guide Magazine in the mail (November 27-December 10, 2017, Double Issue). There's an article on the "Arrowverse Crossover" on page 29. The only EP quoted is MG and there's not much new info. However, the following caught my eye...

Over the course of the ambitious crossover, Guggenheim promises "a bunch of really fun team-ups, including one scene in hour four [airing Tuesday] where we literally have everyone on the bridge of [Legends ship] the Waverider." There's also a massive action sequence for Flash (Gustin), Green Arrow (Stephen Amell) and Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) - plus one pairing that's sure to send fans into a frenzy. "Seeing Legends' Sara Lance [Caity Lotz] fighting alongside Supergirl's Alex Danvers [Chyler Leigh] is a total blast, " Guggenheim teases.

And unlike last season's segmented, stand-along showdown with the evil Dominators, Guggenheim confirms that this year's all-hands-on-deck get-together will reverberate across the Arrowverse throughout future episodes of each series. "All of the shows are impacted by the events," he warns. "It is a game-changer."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, tv echo said:

"All of the shows are impacted by the events," he warns. "It is a game-changer."

Well, WestAllen and Olicity are married.  I guess you could say that's a game changer for Flash and Arrow.  Stein is killed - that's the game changer for Legends.  Also, apparently EarthX Snart sticks around for a couple of episodes, for reasons that will presumably be revealed.

Not sure what the "game changer" would be for Supergirl though, unless it's just Alex realizing that she can move on past Maggie.

• Love 1