Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E22: Live Top 10 Performances

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

The top ten artists perform for coaches Adam Levine, Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Hudson, and Blake Shelton in the hopes of getting America's votes.  Gwen Stefani performs her new single, accompanied by Blake.

Discuss this two-hour performance episode here.

(edited)

All right!  Tonight's song choices:

Team Adam
Adam: "Maybe it was Memphis" by Pam Tillis
Addison: "Lucky" by Britney Spears

Team Miley
Ashland: "I Hate Myself for Loving You" by Joan Jett
Brooke: "Amazing Grace" by John Newton

Team Jennifer
Davon: "Hurt" by Christina Aguilera
Noah: "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran
Shi'Ann: "Diamonds" by Rihanna

Team Blake
Chloe: "Call Me" by Blondie
Keisha: "All by Myself" by Eric Carmen
Red: "That’s What I Love About Sunday" by Craig Morgan

I really don't know why Adam's attempting a song by a female vocalist, but I really don't care.  He's bottom-bound again, anyway, no matter what he does.  I suspect that Addison's going to flip that Britney song.  She'd been dropping hints of such over the weekend.

Ashland's getting a song from Miley's idol and a rock-and-roll female icon?  Brooke's getting a spiritual hymn?  No doubt she's really trying to keep her team out of the bottom again.

I'm interested in seeing Davon's take on Christina's "Hurt."  And Noah should be great at flipping a rock song, considering how well he stripped down last week's song.  Shi'Ann is going to blow the Rihanna song, though.  I just know it.

Chloe could do well with a Blondie song.  Is Keisha going to do a country version of her song, too, I wonder?  And Red . . . meh.

Make of these what you will.

Edited by Star Aristille

Brooke was probably the best of the night for me. Great control and her tone was lovely. Keisha and Davon also went the belting route. Of the three, I thought Brooke did the best followed by Keisha and then Davon. I thought the judges were very kind to Davon.

I really liked Chloe. That was very much an outside the box pick. Her voice is distinct and I find her to be one of the most entertaining artists this season, if not the most entertaining. Ashland kind of did something similar this week, but I thought she was less successful. I haven't been too impressed with Ashland.

I do not get Addison or Noah. No change there. I don't really know how to compare the country boys. I think Adam C. stepped up with the personality this week but he clearly needed to play catch up to the rest of the field. 

• Love 1

Okay, so I skipped Adam and Red, not having any interest in them (I find them just "competent" as singers), but here are my opinions about the other performances.

Addison and Brooke:  Best performances of the night. I don't know the Britney song but Addison's rendition sold me.  As for Brooke, pure and perfectly executed. (Though I probably should deduct points for singing a "song of faith," which is something Blake usually has his team do to pull in votes as the field narrows down.)

Chloe: My third favorite performance of the night. Is it just me, or does Chloe sing in a rather narrow range? I feel like I want to hear her singing higher notes...

Ashland: Nice, but I wasn't wowed. Oh, except by the all-female band! I wanted to see less of Ashland, TBH, and more of the band members playing!

Davon:  He always has a great voice, but this song did not work for me.

Noah: And again we see what a weak voice he has. I was unimpressed. Off-key, not enough power. While he has the looks and attitude/presentation thing going, he really needs to step of the voice lessons, IMHO.

Shi'Ann:  As usual, I could not understand anything she said. And as usual, the coaches slobbered all over her...

Keisha: Not really a country singer, is she? That's disappointing. Overall I was not impressed by her tonight.

I'd be happy with any of these four going home:  Adam, Red, Shi'Ann, Keisha

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 3

I finally figured out who Noah Mac reminds me of: Lip from Shameless!

I still cannot abide Shi'ann's vocal stylings. She looked like a different person with that straight hair! It aged her a bit too much.

Ashland is still middling in a sea of strong voices. Can't believe Janice is gone and she's here.

Love Adam Cunningham. His voice just does it for me and I don't care who knows it.

Red and Addison are authentic and compelling artists but they lack vocal firepower. It's a bit too much "singing while emo" for me.

Keisha is my girl now. You slay Celine, I bow down.

Brooke took it to another level. Amazing job in a song almost no one dares to sing. She took me to church! I do worry she'll never be able to top that.

I would go with Addison for best tonight & I'm not usually a fan.  I don't think Amazing Grace is appropriate for a singing competition, but that's just me.  Overall, not that impressive an evening.  I didn't see Davon's performance so maybe I missed the highlight.

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay.  Thoughts for tonight's performances:

Davon: "Hurt" is just that song of Christina's that is so iconic that no one could match her.  So I just go by the artists' own efforts when they do this song, not Christina's.  And I thought that Davon did a very strong, very solid job of it.  He actually showed more restraint than he's ever shown.  I hope he makes it through tomorrow, but I'm worried about him being slotted first.

Adam: Well . . . it wasn't his worst performance.  I'll give him that.  The effort was . . . decent, at least.  But I'm still just not wowed by him.  Like his past performances, it was boring.  And despite what she said, Miley threw some serious shade at him.  She clearly wants him gone for Janice's ouster.

Noah: This was nice.  It was actually refreshing to hear him use his lower and middle registers and not go into his head voice even once.  Like Miley said, it was magical.  It's amazing to hear him do these stripped-down versions that really help him showcase his voice.  My favorite of the night thus far.

Shi'Ann: Whoa!  She's still one of my least favorites left, but this was actually her best effort so far!  Could've done without the Mariah-inspired whistle tone at the end, but otherwise, I actually liked it!  Not too many runs, either!  (I only counted seven!  She finally gets it!)  But . . . I'm worried about the bus job the producers are clearly trying to do to Team Jennifer by throwing out all of her artists so early in the show.

Chloe: This was sensational!  I'd heard this song before, but I'd had no idea that it was a Blondie song.  She did another fabulous job, and I'll be shocked if she isn't one of the ones to get the multiplier yet again.

Keisha: I guess the show has stopped trying to make her happen, given that she didn't do a country song at all.  Her vocals were flawless, as usual.  But they were definitely boring.  I don't like saying that about one of my peeps.  But Keisha is indeed a strong singer, but a boring one.

Ashland: Probably one of her better ones, which surprised me.  I was a bit nervous about seeing a country girl take on a rock song, but she did actually did very well with it.  Problem was that like Adam and Keisha, it still wasn't all that exciting.  She might escape the bottom, though by a hair.

Brooke: Amazing performance.  Her vocals were strong and solid, and she grabbed me from start to finish.  The only thing about which I'm worried is that Miley chose now rather than next week to play the Christian card.  For this week, she's definitely in.  But I hope she does something mind-blowing next week.

Red: Competent, but boring, like all of Red's performances.

Addison: Interesting take on a Britney song that totally worked.  Great way to close out the night.  Her voice was as good as it always is, and I bet it's going to sell well on iTunes.

2 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Ashland is still middling in a sea of strong voices. Can't believe Janice is gone and she's here.

Love Adam Cunningham. His voice just does it for me and I don't care who knows it.

You kinda lose steam for wondering why Janice is gone by loving the guy she was tossed over.  But whatever.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 2

Davon:  He always has a great voice, but this song did not work for me.

Agreed. I like Christina's version, very simple and raw. His was a bit too much vocal gymnastic-y, so I wanted him to do it more like the original because he could have killed it.

When I saw Brooke was doing Amazing Grace I kind of rolled my eyes, but she changed it up just it enough to make me sit up and listen. It was quite good and the vocals strong.
I came in at the end of Noah's Ordinary World, and I didn't like his version.

Early results, but with MST and PST bumps waiting:

3. Brooke Simpson - Team Miley: "Amazing Grace"
8. Chloe Kohanski - Team Blake: "Call Me"
13. Addison Agen - Team Adam: "Lucky"
16. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "All by Myself"
25. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "Maybe it was Memphis"
28. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "What I Love about Sunday"
37. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Ordinary World"
52. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "Hurt"
66. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "I Hate Myself for Loving You"
105. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Diamonds"

How the fuck are Adam and Red doing so well with boring performances?!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Star Aristille said:

Early results, but with MST and PST bumps waiting:

3. Brooke Simpson - Team Miley: "Amazing Grace"
8. Chloe Kohanski - Team Blake: "Call Me"
13. Addison Agen - Team Adam: "Lucky"
16. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "All by Myself"
25. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "Maybe it was Memphis"
28. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "What I Love about Sunday"
37. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Ordinary World"
52. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "Hurt"
66. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "I Hate Myself for Loving You"
105. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Diamonds"

How the fuck are Adam and Red doing so well with boring performances?!

Adam's song is really well known in Country music circles.  Pam Tillis had a big hit with it. And Red had the whole story about the song he did, which was a hit for Craig Morgan. Red knows the writers and he's the kid that's mentioned in the song.  Both Adam and Red are competent singers in that genre, classic country I mean, which isn't real flashy or glammed up, and there's  clearly an audience out there for that.   Neither one is going to win The Voice but I could see one or possibly both of them carving out some kind of career in that more traditional country lane.  

Why was “All By Myself” called a Celne Dion song with no reference to Eric Carmen? Anyway, Keisha did a decent version. Out of the three belters, though, she was second to Brooke, who really surprised me with her gorgeous high notes and overall performance. 

Chloe vs. Ashland — no contest, Chloe wins. Another thumbs up for Ashland’s female rockers, though!

I FF’d through both Adam and Red, since neither have ever interested me.

Shi’Ann improved this week, but not by much. At least she demonstrated she can sustain a note.

Addison was impressive,  one of the best teen girls ever on this show.

Noah also impressed, but I am a big fan of his. He seems to take the lead in song choice and arrangement, which gets big props from me. Again, he is probably the best teen boy this show has seen.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I finally figured out who Noah Mac reminds me of: Lip from Shameless!

I still cannot abide Shi'ann's vocal stylings. She looked like a different person with that straight hair! It aged her a bit too much.

Red and Addison are authentic and compelling artists but they lack vocal firepower. It's a bit too much "singing while emo" for me.

Keisha is my girl now. You slay Celine, I bow down.

Brooke took it to another level. Amazing job in a song almost no one dares to sing. She took me to church! I do worry she'll never be able to top that.

I still can't believe Moriah's gone and Ashland is still here.

• Love 6

New results with MST bumps:

2. Brooke Simpson - Team Miley: "Amazing Grace"
4. Chloe Kohanski - Team Blake: "Call Me"
9. Addison Agen - Team Adam: "Lucky"
13. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "All by Myself"
19. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "What I Love about Sunday"
21. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "Maybe it was Memphis"
26. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Ordinary World"
46. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "Hurt"
50. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "I Hate Myself for Loving You"
87. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Diamonds"

Only real change is that Red has leapfrogged past Adam.  Brooke, Chloe, and Addison remain constant, although the latter enters multiplier territory.  Noah, Davon, Ashland, and Shi'Ann also remain constant, but at least they're all in the top one-hundred.

PST bumps coming soon.

• Love 1

Results with PST bumps now:

7. Addison Agen - Team Adam: "Lucky"
10. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "All by Myself"
17. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "What I Love about Sunday"
18. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "Maybe it was Memphis"
20. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Ordinary World"
34. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "Hurt"
45. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "I Hate Myself for Loving You"
72. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Diamonds"

So far, everyone remains constant, though Adam is catching up with Red, and Noah's catching up with both of them.  Also, Keisha moves into multiplier territory, though we'll see if she can actually get it.  But everyone is now in the top eighty, which is surprising for this stage of the competition.

It's interesting to me that Chloe has three songs in the top hundred, at 4, 23, 83 and also has one at 120.

Addison has one at 8, one at 89, and one at 200.

If I was a producer, I would want to be signing Chloe for sure.  I don't remember anyone getting so much interest each week that so many of their previous songs were bought too.  

Addison is also notable in that department.  

Both Addison and Chloe are singing songs that seem like their lane.  Even though Brooke is charting highest at number 2, she's not going to be singing Amazing Grace type songs as an artist.  She is letting herself be diverted like last week in What About Us, to kind of be used in how to present the song with drums etc., which in some ways drowned her out some, but at the least it diverted her again from potentially building her fan base by picking songs of the type that represent her as an artist.  It just makes her seem generally good which doesn't build a fanatic fanbase. 

Same for Keisha who has a very pretty voice but is not defining herself as the artist she wants to be.  She just seems generally good and that is not going to really build a fanatical fanbase.  

• Love 3

More results:

5. Addison Agen - Team Adam: "Lucky"
15. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "What I Love about Sunday"
17. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "Maybe it was Memphis"
19. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Ordinary World"
31. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "Hurt"
43. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "I Hate Myself for Loving You"
69. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Diamonds"

No one passes anyone.  Everyone remains constant (though where they're charting, everyone's nosed up except for Keisha).

• Love 1

I don't think Amazing Grace is appropriate for a singing competition, but that's just me. 

It's not just you!

Plus, the author of the song, John Newton, was a slave trader. While transporting slaves, his ship was caught in a storm. He survived, wrote AG, and continued transporting slaves.

• Love 3

More results:

68. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Diamonds"

Everyone remains constant except for Shi'Ann, who at least moves up a spot on the actual chart, even if it's not in terms of the rankings of the group.  Still, they're all in the top seventy.

• Love 1

Some more results:

67. Shi'Ann Jones - Team Jennifer: "Diamonds"

Again, everyone remains constant except for Shi'Ann, who once more moves up a spot on the actual chart.

(edited)

Last update from me before I turn in:

11. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "All by Myself"
16. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "Maybe it was Memphis"
18. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "Ordinary World"
30. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "Hurt"
46. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "I Hate Myself for Loving You"

Interesting shifts.  No one's passed up anyone, but Adam, Noah, and Davon have nosed up, while Keisha, Ashland, and Shi'Ann have gone down, with the former falling, at least for now, out of multiplier territory.  Brooke, Chloe, Addison, and Red, however, remain constant.

Edited by Star Aristille

Talk about shape shifting: Keisha went from country to Celine Dion, Adam went from Allman brother to country again, and Brooke went from belter to gospel. All may escape the Twitter sing-off. Yet when Ashland got out of her comfort zone, she sounded karaoke and fraudulent. Her all-girl band was more interesting.

I think Addison is one of those performers who I might like once she's out of The Voice bubble singing her own songs. On the show, I still don't get her.

Poor Noah! He chose the wrong Duran Duran song to "reinvent". In fact, it sounded like the original without Simon LeBon's higher range.

• Love 2

I totally agree Country Girl.....God the entire show was a pain to watch, so glad for the fast forward button. Since Janice is gone, I don't care who wins. I wasn't even thrilled by Davon and he use to be one of my favs.  He actually sounded off key. Barf.

• Love 2

Voting is closed.  Final update:

14. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "What I Love about Sunday"
47. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "I Hate Myself for Loving You"

So Brooke, Chloe, and Addison remain constant long enough to get the multiplier.  Keisha moves up again just in time to get it, as well.  Red noses up, too, but not enough to get it.  Adam, Noah, and Davon remain constant in the top thirty.  Ashland drops down a spot, but still remains above Shi'Ann, who remains constant on the bottom.

No matter how much Miley tries to slice it, she's going to keep feeling the brunt of her desperation to beat Blake with a country artist leading her to chuck two of her much stronger artists until Ashland is gone.  She's just not going to get it until she gets eliminated.

17 hours ago, lyric said:

Can't believe Janice is gone and she's here.

I can't believe Janice is gone and anyone is here. 

It's been a week and I'm still bummed.  For what it's worth, this is the first season I've followed this show from the very beginning and I was certain she'd win.  What do I know.  So now that I don't have anyone to root for it's kind of blah.  Maybe one of them will perk me up next week. 

Also, one of my pet peeves is the same one I have with Idol:  Why does the band often insist on drowning out the singers?  Very odd for a show that's actually called 'The Voice'.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Why was “All By Myself” called a Celne Dion song with no reference to Eric Carmen? Anyway, Keisha did a decent version. Out of the three belters, though, she was second to Brooke, who really surprised me with her gorgeous high notes and overall performance. 

Chloe vs. Ashland — no contest, Chloe wins. Another thumbs up for Ashland’s female rockers, though!

I FF’d through both Adam and Red, since neither have ever interested me.

Shi’Ann improved this week, but not by much. At least she demonstrated she can sustain a note.

Addison was impressive,  one of the best teen girls ever on this show.

Noah also impressed, but I am a big fan of his. He seems to take the lead in song choice and arrangement, which gets big props from me. Again, he is probably the best teen boy this show has seen.

Thank you! It takes one second to mention the original artist on these songs and consistently they don't do it. (One thing I really miss about Cee-lo.  Carson has the time and staff to fill in these important acknowledgments.)

I see Chloe as the frontrunner.. Shi'Ann improved, but still should be one of the two leaving tonight. Ashland or Red should be the other one.

And speaking of country.... Keisha still has a lovely voice, but the jig is up.  I think Blake figured out that her "newfound love of country" happened right about the time she decided to try out for "The Voice". I don't think she knows much country music (much less "loves it") and consequently has no idea how to blend pop/soul into it. Which is super disappointing to me as I loved the idea and her audition. Oh well, Blake's doing what he does best, which is giving his singers support to do what they want.

I find if I just listen to Red rather than watch (and, of course , that guitar), he's a pleasant enough country singer. And I agree with whoever it was who suggested last week that he record some of Blake's songs.  I always thing Blake is better than a lot of his song choices (hokey, insipid lyrics) and should try things more like Willie-Wayon-Cash.  But I think his songs are perfect for Red.  On the other hand, maybe Red should change it up with some old, "outlaw" country for a week. Just because he's not winning anyway, try something different than God, love and family.

They're all fine, in varying degrees, but there's no one I look forward to hearing each week and no one I want to see "What they'll do this time". Probably the style of music rather than the singers, though. I am kind of looking forward to seeing how Danielle has changed as a singer and what direction she's choosing now.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

Also, one of my pet peeves is the same one I have with Idol:  Why does the band often insist on drowning out the singers?  Very odd for a show that's actually called 'The Voice'.

Ugh, this! I think it's even worse here than it was on Idol. It's really aggravating.

• Love 3

I pretty much agree with the iTunes ranking this week.  My take on the performances:

Davon:  This song requires more grit and gravitas than he could bring.  It didn't help that he had to use his head voice so much.  This may be one of my least favorite of his performances.

Adam:  Better than his recent performance night efforts, but not as good as save me performances.  Its not a good sign when all I could think about was how much better 16 year old Danielle "bot" Bradberry did this song way back in Season 4 (and she was definitely not one of my favorites).

Noah:  I liked what he tried to do with the song.  Too bad he had one of his most uneven vocal performances so far.

Shi'Ann:  Easily one of her best performances.  But still inferior to most everyone else.  I wish she had waited two or three more years before trying out for the show.

Chloe:  Did not like the song choice very much.  It didn't really allow her to show off her range or as much emotional connection to the lyrics.  But it was still perhaps the most entertaining performance of the evening.  She really is a natural on stage.

Keisha:  Though it was my favorite performance of the season from her, I'm still not completely sold.

Ashley:  This was rather mediocre karaoke.  Lyric must have been reading my mind, because all I could think about was how much better Moriah would have done this song.

Brooke:  The performance of the evening.  That was sublime.

Red:  Nothing to object to, but nothing to grab my attention either.  It was one of his better vocal performances.  Given how much Noah has gone down hill, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he sneaks into the finale.

Addison:  Not my favorite of hers, but I love the way she navigates through a song.  She has great instincts.

Overall, this episode did nothing to change my mind that Chloe and Addison are the two "stars" of the season.  I'll be fairly happy as long as they both make the final. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Voting is closed.  Final update:

14. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "What I Love about Sunday"
47. Ashland Craft - Team Miley: "I Hate Myself for Loving You"

So Brooke, Chloe, and Addison remain constant long enough to get the multiplier.  Keisha moves up again just in time to get it, as well.  Red noses up, too, but not enough to get it.  Adam, Noah, and Davon remain constant in the top thirty.  Ashland drops down a spot, but still remains above Shi'Ann, who remains constant on the bottom.

No matter how much Miley tries to slice it, she's going to keep feeling the brunt of her desperation to beat Blake with a country artist leading her to chuck two of her much stronger artists until Ashland is gone.  She's just not going to get it until she gets eliminated.

Star, as the resident Voice aficianado, do you have any idea if these rankings translate to who wins?  

14 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Star, as the resident Voice aficianado, do you have any idea if these rankings translate to who wins?  

They do not.  The only times the iTunes leaders have won have been seasons eight and nine, with Sawyer Fredericks and Jordan Smith.  Every other time, the iTunes leader comes in second.  Adam Wakefield, Billy Gilman, and Lauren Duski all led iTunes in seasons ten through twelve, for example, and they all came in second.

This is one season in which I think the winner is being foreshadowed, though.  Chloe and Addison have been most consistently leading, so I can't see any way one of them doesn't win.  Only Brooke and possibly Noah (despite not yet getting a multiplier) can come close.

• Love 2
On 12/4/2017 at 9:44 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I'm picky about people singing Amazing Grace, and her rendition made me mostly cringe.

This is a song that has been done to death (the Library of Congress has 2000 recordings!).  It's so hard to get any kind of original spin, so the singing has to be exceptional (the best version I heard was a stripped-down "plain-song" version -- so clean and clear).  I didn't get that at all from Brooke.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:02 PM, burner said:

What was the online harassment or whatever they mentioned to Keisha?

She's black and not skinny.  Either would bring out the "neckbeards"; together they pretty much guarantee it.

• Love 1

Some individual thoughts on contestants:

Red: don't care

Adam: dude comes off as product to me. Doesn't seem genuine at all. Not a fan.

Shi An(or whatever way you spell it): she's got a voice but she is being utilized incorrectly. She clearly can't pull these songs off and Jennifer has placed her in this teenage diva box. Stop it. Give her something tender and slow in the lane of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" in the style of Kathryn McPhee. She needs to work on enunciation and let her voice grow. She can belt and scream later in life. She will be amazing some day.

Kiesha: she's sweet and she can sing but she also comes off as ingenuine. Saying you wanna be a country singer doesn't make you one. She's great, she can do whatever she wants but it feels forced.

Davon: he's not nearly as good as he or the show thinks he is. Always off key. And again, he's being boxed as a male diva belter. It's not great. It's not terrible. But it's not great.

Noah: kid has crazy charisma and is creative as all hell. But he's not an amazing singer. He loses his breath often when he goes for it. It feels incomplete and his key is off a lot too. He's a great entertainer. He has an awesome lower register and he will be great some day but he needs some work. He's becoming Dalton-esque.

Chloe: she's kinda amazing. I really dig her. I wanna hear her do "Black Velvet."

Ashland: a decent bar karaoke singer. 

Brooke: she's got a killer voice. I'd say the best in a singing competition in a long time. That said, she is not being utilized correctly. All her song choices are scattered and they don't mesh with who she is. Her audition and battle were great. Amazing grace sounded awesome on her but it was pandering and it's a way over done and manipulative song choice. She needs songs that feel genuine and that show off the clear tone she has in a better way. Some Kelly Clarkson would be nice on her. Still the best voice there by a mile.

Addison: complete opposite situation as Brooke. She's awesome and her song choices are perfect for her. Download all the studio versions and listen to them together. Sounds like her album. She has a clear idea of who she is and her songs reflect it. It's relatable and I feel like I know her. That said, Brooke could easily pass her up if she could find that groove that Addison has but until then, Addison is my pick to win. 

Other thoughts:

Miley really messed up this season. Should have kept Chloe and Addison and should have kept Moriah and Karly over Ashland and Janice who while is great was clearly not going far. Her type never does. Her only real chance now is Brooke.

jennifer should have kept Chris over Davon. 

Chloe, Brooke, Noah and Addison would be a likely final 4.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Adusk81 said:

Other thoughts:

Miley really messed up this season. Should have kept Chloe and Addison and should have kept Moriah and Karly over Ashland and Janice who while is great was clearly not going far. Her type never does. Her only real chance now is Brooke.

This so much.  She really messed up with Chloe since Landslide was so much better than Ashland's knockout song.  Adam went up to her after that and said that he thinks she made a mistake.  Even Ashland thought she lost that knockout.

She also messed up with Addison but her and Karly's battle were close. 

I agree about Janice.  She was great but her type doesn't do well with this type of show.  Country artists usually do when they're with Blake and I think that's what Miley was hoping to bank on when she chose Ashland.  If she wanted a country artist so badly, she should have picked Karly.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

This so much.  She really messed up with Chloe since Landslide was so much better than Ashland's knockout song.  Adam went up to her after that and said that he thinks she made a mistake.  Even Ashland thought she lost that knockout.

She also messed up with Addison but her and Karly's battle were close. 

I agree about Janice.  She was great but her type doesn't do well with this type of show.  Country artists usually do when they're with Blake and I think that's what Miley was hoping to bank on when she chose Ashland.  If she wanted a country artist so badly, she should have picked Karly.

Miley might have done better with some of those choices, but I disagree about Janice. It was glaringly obvious she probably wouldn't get very far due to age, race, looks, but Miley liked what she brought to the show musically (as do I) and kept her knowing she wasn't choosing her to get Miley a win.  I respect that a lot. (In fact, I've always said that, were I a contestant--unlikely for someone who can't carry a tune--but does play guitar better than Red!--I'd choose Blake because he supports you to do what you want. But I think, with this group, I'd rather go with Miley. She's even more supportive/invested emotionally PLUS involved creatively and knows music outside of country. I don't see her playing favorites either, like some other coaches. I'm sorry she's leaving.).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Padma said:

Miley might have done better with some of those choices, but I disagree about Janice. It was glaringly obvious she probably wouldn't get very far due to age, race, looks, but Miley liked what she brought to the show musically (as do I) and kept her knowing she wasn't choosing her to get Miley a win.  I respect that a lot. (In fact, I've always said that, were I a contestant--unlikely for someone who can't carry a tune--but does play guitar better than Red!--I'd choose Blake because he supports you to do what you want. But I think, with this group, I'd rather go with Miley. She's even more supportive/invested emotionally PLUS involved creatively and knows music outside of country. I don't see her playing favorites either, like some other coaches. I'm sorry she's leaving.).

Do you mean Miley is not going to be on Season 14 or she is not going to do the show anymore?  I know that Season 14 has Alicia and Kelly.  I didn't expect Miley to be on the same season as Kelly.

I admit that I have a soft spot for Miley.  I hope that Brooke is in the finals this season.  Miley does seem invested with her contestants.  I like how she seems to spend a lot of time helping them and lets them know that they can reach out to her later.  I can tell that Janice and Miley were really close.  Miley seems close to the other two also.  I think Miley can also show her contestants how to perform.  In their group number, Miley was having fun and it made the others have fun too.

I think the band did Janice in.  In the Top 11 performance, although Janice prevailed, I think she had to sing louder to be heard over the band.  That probably strained her voice.  I loved her Top 12 performance.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 1