Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Chapter Twenty: Tales From the Darkside

• Start Topic

And it’s back. And while a small part of me enjoyed having a week off (the dread and excitement I feel towards this show is painful at times) I actually missed it a lot too. But then again I seem to find myself liking the episodes less and less.

Also on Twitter Camilla said that this episode is a completely different format and feel than any past episodes so I knew it would be different but seeing it as an odd video log thing was.. something and the different stories.

Bughead scenes were giving me life. Although.. I’m already hating that they have Betty wearing the same shirt Toni was wearing last episode. At this point with this show and this couple, I’m feeling annoyed. It’s things like that they are making people who like this couple angry. Also adding in that the screen time the the couple is getting is really something awful and how they’re being written is radically different from a season ago(and let’s remember the timeline. That the second season it’s only been about a few weeks that all this has been happening but I digress). Look I know the show needs drama but this couple seems to be getting a hell of a pile on. And yes I know they aren’t forever and ever right now especially they are teenagers and I would have been fine with a breakup had it been done right, them actually having one not Archie by proxy doing it. The only thing I enjoyed was that they had Toni and Jughead kiss which not a fan but then realize she isn’t a rebound and she’s not in for that and that she likes girls more. Either way.. the pairing has gotten much so I appreciate the crumbs we get.   And that being our one and only Bughead scene, I don’t think I’m getting upset over nothing in regards to them on this show. 

So yes the morning scene was adorable and sweet.  And then it had to be ruined by the lawyer calling Jughead. But also poor FP getting hurt. But did anyone question this info? How do we know she was being accurate? 

I’m thrilled this episode seems friendship oriented. Like Archie and Jughead get their own story and so so Veronica and Betty.

Also I’m really mad at the way they seem to be dumbing Jughead down this season, I get that now he is over his head in it but still. I did like the scene with Archie and him in the car discussing this as much. Also but picking up a ride from a stranger while carrying drugs reinforces my theory that they are writing Jughead quite dumb this season.  Don’t get me wrong, Archie’s not any better but I don’t expect him to be.  

When Jughead left Archie to get in a strangers car to drop off drugs, I wondered if the show now wants me to dislike every character on it because I’m kind of starting to. Except maybe Cheryl? I feel like I will always love her. Even when she’s bat crazy, she’s awesome.

Truck Driver guy and Pops should team up and share ghost stories of Riverdales past. And yay Archie comes back just in time to help.

Also Seriously Jughead believing it would only be a one time thing is again idiotic. He went down the rabbit hole and back then I questioned since the first episode this season when he asked for a favor from the gang and they brought a beaten guy to his trailer and said he was in it now he kept going back.

That scene in the diner with Jughead and Archie broke my heart.

Also i called Penny lying to Jughead. Am the only one who’s over this gang storyline now? I really hate watching teenagers being tortured via black hooded serial killers or people in gangs. At least on pretty little liars, the teenagers got to enjoy themselves occasionally. The characters on this show never do. Or maybe it’s a few characters on this show are always being kicked. 

And Josie gets her own story In this special episode. Kind of random. But for a main character, this is the most she’s ever gotten to speak and it wasn’t even that much. Also am I an idiot for not thinking that a hotel is any safer than a their house? Also hey the show is remembering that Cheryl and Josie are good friends.  Also I love that Cheryl’s idea of repaying Josie for saving her is bringing her to a record producer. Also other pussycats can take a sit. 

I don’t know if I was supposed to root for Josie and Chuck here. I really wanted Josie and Reggie. 

Also for josies first solo storyline.. kind of meh on this.  I mean Mayor Mcoy is controlling, uh, so are a lot of the other parents and they should be.. there is a killer running around. Also yeah I guess Josie is a “famous” daughter of the town, considering her mother so yeah she’s right to be on alert. 

Cheryl unlikely voice of reason. Another reason why she rules. 

It’s obviously not going to be chuck who was sending the letters but all the same.. I feel like we need more than this episode and brief snippet to think he’s a changed guy. 

But finding out it’s Cheryl? What?!?! Okay that was a twist but also.. not a twist I really wanted and now I stand by that this show wants me to dislike every character. Like Cheryl I love you but still.. that’s going too far. I might not anymore.  That’s really far even for Cheryl Blossom.

And this is where I started to find this episode not that fun anymore.  Other people can have a different opinion but now I’m just becoming bothered by it. 

Also I stated to think it was the janitor after josies story.

Seriously.. the Betty and Jughead scene was cute but considering that was all we got is annoying. I knew now that Keller wasn’t going to be blackhood when I saw this clip of Betty saying as much a week ago because too early for Betty to assume he was. 

Also did Keller realize a teenage girl was better at his job now? He just started pulling out pictures and showing them to Betty of Phillips being killed and stuff.

Ha. Love Betty having fomo about the sleepover! 

And Keller is bodybuilding in his basement. Is that his big secret? I knew his secret was going to be lame- I expected it to be he and his wife seeing each other again or something.  That scene Keller probably thought Veronica was coming on to him or something. 

Also Veronica Lodge is no Veronica Mars.   I don’t know if Betty is either though. She did have bobby pins though. And why was she shocked at the instigation board? Like she acted all scared? Keller had one for the Jason murder as did she and Jughead. It’s what they worked on when they were trying to solve it. I don’t really understand. 

I just realized I’ve said I don’t understand what this episode proved other than it seems like this season is just everyone forgetting everything from last season. 

Also funny Archie was worried about being Betty into being a drug mule but she’s out looking for killers, along with Veronica so.. yeah.

So Keller is with Mayor MCoy.  Still lame. 

And yes everyone in Riverdale is a sinner. Obviously.

i don’t know. I’m meh on this episode. I think I’m slowly becoming done when this show. They have me until they go off for winter break because I assume they will as most shows take a short hatitus but after I might be over it.

• Love 6

Jughead, sweetheart?  Yeah, come closer -- I have something I need to whisper in your ear:

NEVER GET INTO A GODDAMNED CAR WITH CANDYMAN.

(Also:  What in the hell does "Triple C" stand for?)

Edited by Demian
  • Love 20
4 minutes ago, Demian said:

Jughead, sweetheart?  Yeah, come closer -- I have something I need to whisper in your ear:

"Candyman, Candyman, Candyman."

• Love 11

Wow, I thought Riverdale was weird during the daytime, but its even weirder at night! Thats when the extra creepy people start wandering about. 

Jughead, if the Candyman asks you should get into his truck with him, YOU SAY NO! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 12

Jumbled thoughts but

Biggest shock of the night was Cheryl Blossom.  When I think that girl couldn't possibly shock me anymore, she always does.  That someone as byzantine as Cheryl and pant-worthy as Chuck would be hung up on a simple girl like Josie, it kind of made me roll my eyes but whatever.  

Josie????I find her Mom WAY more interesting then Josie herself.  Robyn Givens is aging wonderfully.   Send Josie to boarding school and bring Mayor McCoy and Sheriff Keller to the forefront.   Maybe it was the whole clip show format of the storylines, but Josie was the weak link tonight.  I know Chuck Clayton is a jerk and brute BUT my god, he has to be the most gorgeous guy on Riverdale.  That body, those eyes, that body.  Sigh.  I hope this actor finds a regular gig because he is very charming.

For some reason I LOVE Kevin and Veronica.  I FLOVE them together for some reason.  I LOVE that Veronica sleeps with a night mask.  I feel like Kevin may be her OTP.  On an emotional level, I just feel like he is always so adorably accommodating where Veronica is concerned.  It's not like she strong arms him and I don't feel like he is being manipulated.  I just feel like he gets a kick out of hanging with Veronica, even at her most haughty.

Sheriff Keller.......Woof.  Sheriff Keller on Monday nights, Chuck Clayton on Tuesday Nights, and Archie on Wednesday Nights.  Yay me.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, Demian said:

It’s the show’s knockoff of Triple A

• Love 1

Archie & Jughead

It was pretty easy to guess that F.P. wasn't hurt, but I liked the ending.  This was probably the simplest story, but it had good atmosphere, and a very fun guest spot from Tony Todd (clearly cast as an in-joke to Candyman, though I remember him mainly as Worf's brother).

Josie

The oft-neglected character gets her biggest spotlight since episode 1x06.  Her mother continues to feel like a more plot-relevant character, but I liked her stuff here.

The idea that Cheryl and Josie are friends was one of those ideas that was introduced by the show almost immediately but never developed in any substantial way, and to some extent I've always struggled with how those two are supposed to have worked, since Josie is #woke and Cheryl is basically concentrated white privilege.  I liked their early scenes, though it seems from the end that Cheryl is gaslighting Josie for some reason (and is also a talented artist).

This plot also kind tries to redeem Chuck, which, okay fine, he's still young (though it's easy to forget that given the age of the actors).  The guy playing Chuck remains hella charming, incidentally.

Betty & Veronica

The scene in Keller's basement where Veronica tries to get information out of him made me think Keller was going to read her as coming onto him and awkwardly try to reject her, but it never quite went that far.  Heh.

• Love 8

I liked the whole "Anthology of Terror" gimmick this week, it was a good way to get a lot of plot in, and give more of the cast some time to shine. Of course, I`m a fan of those kinds of stories, so this was kind of made for me. I also enjoyed the retro vibe of those kinds of stories, and it works really well for this show, which is basically set in an alternate retro 2017. 

It was nice to see Jughead and Archie bonding again, and I think they had the creepiest and most interesting story. Mainly because of Tony Todd, who is one of the creepiest actors in all of genre TV. He is the perfect actor for an anthology story like this one, he has an old school scariness to him. His story was perfectly creepy, and the atmosphere was suitably unnerving. Plus, its nice to see Archie being a good friend and not just running around trying to shoot people. 

Jose gets a story! I thought it was a pretty good story for her, if not extremely interesting or informing of her character. I do like her friendship with Cheryl, and it was nice to see more of it. I can see why they like each other. They're both very outgoing "Head Bitch in Charge" Alpha Girl types, and those types tend to be either rivals, or good friends. Of course, this being Cheryl, she is also a crazy stalker (and a pretty good artist!), but...its Cheryl. She`s never been the best at normal relationships. So are the really redeeming Chuck? I would be alright with that. He was an asshole, but not to a point of being irredeemable. The actor is just so charming and pretty. So, very pretty. 

Betty was really barking up the wrong tree on that one. Good thing Kevin never found out, he would have been pretty understandably pissed. Also, Sheriff Keller is a serious DILF underneath that sheriff uniform, who knew? Kevin and Veronica are also always fun. 

• Love 9

Also, Betty Cooper Hypocrisy Watch:  last season she was furious with Archie and Veronica for searching F.P.'s trailer behind Jughead's back for evidence that F.P. was a murderer, but has no problem doing the same thing to Kevin now.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, SeanC said:

Also, Betty Cooper Hypocrisy Watch:  last season she was furious with Archie and Veronica for searching F.P.'s trailer behind Jughead's back for evidence that F.P. was a murderer, but has no problem doing the same thing to Kevin now.

Um none of these people recall anything from last season so.. I don’t know. As I expected I’m alone in my boat thinking this episode wasn’t that great.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Maybe Dark Betty in play?

7 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I liked the Archie/Jughead part, was ok with the Josie part, and thought the Betty part was dumb. 

I liked Archie and Jughead for a little, I am however like I said not really into this gang thing anymore but whatever. I’m okay with Josie getting a story but I don’t like how Cheryl is behaving.. also I find Josie boring. And Betty who used to be my favorite character is becoming not anymore.

But then again.. I kind of dislike everyone in this episode. I just don’t like where the show is taking them when they could have done imho much more interesting things. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also I’m really mad at the way they seem to be dumbing Jughead down this season, I get that now he is over his head in it but still. I did like the scene with Archie and him in the car discussing this as much. Also but picking up a ride from a stranger while carrying drugs reinforces my theory that they are writing Jughead quite dumb this season.  Don’t get me wrong, Archie’s not any better but I don’t expect him to be.  

When Jughead left Archie to get in a strangers car to drop off drugs, I wondered if the show now wants me to dislike every character on it because I’m kind of starting to. Except maybe Cheryl? I feel like I will always love her. Even when she’s bat crazy, she’s awesome.

Why so certain it was drugs? Did you not see what was written on the side of that crate?

5a1f7ff671266_Riv0207.jpg.ff7ceaffddbf6fafaa4ca4affda0d12e.jpg

And being delivered to Sabrina's hometown?

Edited by AzureOwl
  • Love 3

I don't typically get invested in ships as I find it limiting to watch a show from a perspective where interactions between two characters make or break the experience. Plus, I'm fickle enough to take interest in all the options. 

BUT. I ship Cheryl with Crazy. I want her and Crazy to stay together forever and ever and have whimsically disturbed brain-children that run amok through Riverdale, delightfully warping everything they touch. I will DIE if these two are ever separated. OTP!

Edited by thefreeair
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, AzureOwl said:

Why so certain it was drugs? Did you not see what was written on the side of that crate?

5a1f7ff671266_Riv0207.jpg.ff7ceaffddbf6fafaa4ca4affda0d12e.jpg

And being delivered to Sabrina's hometown?

I just assume it’s drugs.  I know I could be wrong but that’s what I think. I was hoping the women we met was going to be One of the aunts but we never got a name. 

I still find Jughead acting idiotic about this whole thing and he has been since the start of this season. It’s strange how he’s acting all confused about what the gang requires of him when a season ago he knew it was bad news to be associated with them. 

• Love 1

I was happy to see chuck.. I'm glad hes getting a chance to redeem himself as again he was a creep.. But most of his stuff was stupid teenage garbage that was kinda confined to the football team and for that he was drugged assaulted physically and verbally.. Handcuffed and left to drown publicly shamed and ridiculed and kicked off the football team.... And the person who did that to him got off Scott free and just broke into the house of the sheriff.. Again with no repercussions... Lol @ Cheryl gaslighting josie... Didn't care abt the other two stories 

• Love 1

I can't decide if I think that Cheryl wants to have herself some lesbian lovin' with Josie, or if she's just super-possessive of her besties. I'm not sure having a bi/lesbian character stalking a straight girl sends the best message. Although if Pretty Little Liars can get away with the "transgender people are CRAZY and EVIL!!!" stereotype, I guess anything's okay.

Honestly, I have to agree with people that the Josie really doesn't seem to have much going on. I don't know, this episode was basically her showcase after a long time being sidelined, and I wasn't feeling it. She also seemed to have about two facial expressions. I liked Val a lot better for the five minutes she was allowed to speak while she was dating Archie.

I'm going to pretend at some point that Keller decides to take his son to a gay area as some kind of "I don't want you sneaking behind my back about trying to get laid", and people mistake them for a Hot Daddy/Son combo instead of actual daddy and son. Just because that would be kind of hilarious, and because Kevin's body is about as 16 as Archie's is. They would totally get mistaken for that in real life if they were in some gayborhood.

Of course Jughead and Betty "slept" together as in really  slept together.

• Love 3

The Josie section was the most heartfelt part of the episode. 

Chuck & Josie doing The Twist to Sweet Little Sixteen in the middle of Pops was the closest this show has come to the actual Archie comics imo.

Sierra continues to be one of this show's most underrated and unsung characters. Robin Givens is an absolute pro, who nails whatever meager stuff the writers give her.

Jordan Calloway remains gorgeous & charming. And if Cheryl can be redeemed then Chuck certainly can.

It was really nice seeing Val & Mel get to express their righteous anger to Josie. They've always had Josie's back, so it's hard to blame them for walking out on her.

It was also nice seeing more of Josie & Cheryl's friendship. Up until the part where it was revealed that Cheryl was a gaslighting psycho.

Cole Sprouse's mugging & over-enunciation undercuts Jughead's supposed lower class status.

Also? Jughead is an idiot. And Archie is an even bigger idiot for encouraging him.

Tony Todd is the best.

Still want to push Betty into the sea.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 10

Oh, holy flurking schmidt, it was TONY TODD, PEOPLE!

I shrieked with joy and ran to tell my (dumb) husband that he was missing TONY TODD playing a sin obsessed lunatic who trolls Riverdale with dead deer in the back of his truck but the dummy was too busy watching YouTube videos of people playing Fallout 4 to even care, humph. I was soooo thrilled that the rest of the episode could have been them reading a phone book and I'd still be dancing about waving my hands in little circle-flappy motions.

(That does not mean that Jughead didn't apparently switch brains with Archie this week: To echo all other posters, Jug, do not get in a car with Candyman!)

Whew, okay!

I found the three story format a bit jarring at first but it was a very good way to get a lot of plot moving quickly and the interweaving stories were clever and well done (I especially liked the ringing phone at Pop's being a signal that Bad Things Shall Now Occur.) The director got quite arty with split-screens and such which worked with this setup.  As for the storylines themselves:

Starting from the top, Jughead is showing, even if the show doesn't mean to, that a freakin' sixteen year old cannot handle this crap! And frankly I do NOT get why The Snake Charmer/Lawyer is willing to entrust boxes of H P Lovecraft's science experiments to a reluctant, scared minor who clearly is of two minds about doing this at all. I mean, yes, leverage is there both with HP being in prison and with Jug's apparent need to take anything anybody says to him at face value (if you heard your dad was hurt in jail wouldn't you go see him right away even if you weren't being asked to haul a box across town at midnight to meet some scary beret-topped Russian lady?), but really--she's got tons of experienced, loyal, adult Serpents who could handle this shit with a lot less drama. It's not like she doesn't have dirt on all of them. 

I did enjoy Jughead and Archie's reconciliation and bonding adventures though, especially since we got to see that while Archie isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer he is deeply loyal--of course he's going to follow Creepy Murder Truck and make sure Jug's okay! Everything Archie does, no matter how deeply stupid, is because he wants to help people he loves.

Okay, now, Josie and the Suddenly Vocal Pussycats! 

I'm very, very glad the show suddenly realized that its POC characters aren't just cardboard cutouts to prop up in the background and not only J but her mom, Val, and No Longer Silent Melody got something to do that didn't relate just to the Black Hood stuff but their own worries, desires and problems. Plus, they managed to work in Chuck having an actual realization that A) his behavior defined unacceptable and B) the damage he did to his reputation wasn't magically fixable.  It's good that he decided that he wanted to be better and that he didn't just throw in the towel at the first bump in the road. He and Josie had very good chemistry (although I liked her with Reggie last week too), but you can't blame Mayor McCoy for being oh HELL NO about the idea; even though that's a bit rich coming from "meeting the married Sheriff at the No-Tel Motel," lady.

(The whole "I've been getting more letters; it's like they're emboldened by this creep" jab at our current national hellstorm was very, very well done too.)

Now. Cheryl. What's going on with her? Is she suddenly obsessed with Josie because Josie rescued her or is this long-brewing, or what? It seems very sudden but when you think about it, it really isn't. Cheryl would toss her hair, cock a perfectly done eyebrow and inquire as to whether she has ever not behaved in a totally off the chain nutjob manner, and she'd be right. I do wonder how this fits in with rumors that she might date Toni.

And last but not least, Betty and Veronica's #1 Teen Detective Agency was a hoot and a holler. The use of split screens, the sleepover, the "file under AWKWARD" conversation in the basement (Ronnie's determination to keep talking around the foot in her mouth was hilarious, as was Keller's "uh, okay, why are you here?" look through the whole thing), Betty's break in skillz (although if there is one thing you'd think a law enforcement officer would know it's NOT TO PUT A KEY UNDER A FLOWERPOT), the discovery of naughty naughtiness, it was all gold. 

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 7

But also poor FP getting hurt. But did anyone question this info? How do we know she was being accurate? 

He wasn't hurt: it was a lie to motivate Jughead. And no, he didn't so much as call the prison to check to see if the creepy gang lawyer lady who's asking him to run a shady as fuck errand was telling the truth; nor did he laugh in her face when she showed him the cell footage and say what, what on that is illegal? Us dropping off a crate? Do you have proof of what's in it? Do you really want Scary Russian Beret woman on your back if you give it to Keller? I know he's a kid and that's why she's getting away with this but it. is. frustrating.

I knew his secret was going to be lame- I expected it to be he and his wife seeing each other again or something.

He and his wife aren't divorced: she's in the armed forced and currently deployed in Iran. I honestly don't think the show has said a single word about this before this episode, though; I thought he was a widower. You want to talk lame, let's go with Kevin's D&D session with Veronica! You could tell she was willing to go snoop around just to get out of there!

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Snookums said:

He wasn't hurt: it was a lie to motivate Jughead. And no, he didn't so much as call the prison to check to see if the creepy gang lawyer lady who's asking him to run a shady as fuck errand was telling the truth; nor did he laugh in her face when she showed him the cell footage and say what, what on that is illegal? Us dropping off a crate? Do you have proof of what's in it? Do you really want Scary Russian Beret woman on your back if you give it to Keller? I know he's a kid and that's why she's getting away with this but it. is. frustrating.

He and his wife aren't divorced: she's in the armed forced and currently deployed in Iran. I honestly don't think the show has said a single word about this before this episode, though; I thought he was a widower. You want to talk lame, let's go with Kevin's D&D session with Veronica! You could tell she was willing to go snoop around just to get out of there!

Since you were responded to my post, I actually made thoughts that you just made in the very same post. I said in the same post that yup I was right FP was never hurt an also about Keller cheating on his wife but whatever it was a long post- and I type Out my posts as I watch the episode and thats why they are long but I made all the same comments you made.

I really didn’t like this episode and I know I’m alone In that. That’s okay.

also feel like everyone is taking stupid pills this season. I miss season one, they balanced the quirky and the scary quite well.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

The change in format was just way to jarring for me. As much as I dislike Jug's tortured writer voice-overs, I didn't find the old scratchy movie reel introduction to be any better. I've never saw Candyman, so the Tony Todd appearance was lost of me until I read it here. The creepy hunter factor just seemed out of place, along with the creepy janitor red herring. Bert and Ernie's big adventure was just annoying. Josie's tale just bored me. B&V's shenanigans were all sorts of wrong. The girls, especially Betty, really should suffer the repercussions for their actions. The only bright spot in this episode was finding out that Sheriff Keller is a sexy DILF. He can even bring the handcuffs when midnight calling.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Richness said:

The change in format was just way to jarring for me. As much as I dislike Jug's tortured writer voice-overs, I didn't find the old scratchy movie reel introduction to be any better. I've never saw Candyman, so the Tony Todd appearance was lost of me until I read it here. The creepy hunter factor just seemed out of place, along with the creepy janitor red herring. Bert and Ernie's big adventure was just annoying. Josie's tale just bored me. B&V's shenanigans were all sorts of wrong. The girls, especially Betty, really should suffer the repercussions for their actions. The only bright spot in this episode was finding out that Sheriff Keller is a sexy DILF. He can even bring the handcuffs when midnight calling.

This. But also.. everywhere the show seems to be moving is fast moving into something I don’t think I want to watch.

Also as far as Cheryl’s crush.. I hated whatever the transgender thing on pll was that was awful so I find it pretty bad here if that’s where they are going. Also.. it wasn’t just Josie that saved Cheryl? Veronica was there but I guess she’s taken so Cheryl passed but weren’t the other pussycats there as well? I mean.. odd. I know Josie is her bestie but they’re making it seem like Cheryl’s in love with her due to her saving her.. which.. she wasn’t the only one but okay. 

Since they couldn't use Triple- A -- I'm gonna guess County Car Commission

and if the Southside is so lawless, how bad can Greendale be if Jughead is scared to be there at night? 

Not crazy about this episode's format-- the individual stories needed more overlap to be a bit more cohesive. 

• Love 1

So, the Reckoning is upon us. Sure, whatever, Black Hood will just keep trying to kill people, so not much has changed.

Exactly how far is GreenDale from Riverdale ?  I thought it was across the river -- is the nearest bridge 100 miles away ?

I'm convinced that Hiram Lodge is the Black Hood -- since none of this Black Hood stuff happened until he came back to town.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

actually missed it a lot too. But then again I seem to find myself liking the episodes less and less.

OMG! Someone that speaks my language!! I feel the exact same way although thankfully now I've toned it down at bit after the beginning of the season!!! I'm still loving the show but wondering what type of story they are trying to pull because I just keep getting confused, especially with everyone's "way-of-being" has totally changed/transformed from season 1.

Bughead scenes were giving me life. Although.. I’m already hating that they have Betty wearing the same shirt Toni was wearing last episode. At this point with this show and this couple, I’m feeling annoyed. It’s things like that they are making people who like this couple angry. Also adding in that the screen time the the couple is getting is really something awful and how they’re being written is radically different from a season ago(and let’s remember the timeline. That the second season it’s only been about a few weeks that all this has been happening but I digress). Look I know the show needs drama but this couple seems to be getting a hell of a pile on. And yes I know they aren’t forever and ever right now especially they are teenagers and I would have been fine with a breakup had it been done right, them actually having one not Archie by proxy doing it. The only thing I enjoyed was that they had Toni and Jughead kiss which not a fan but then realize she isn’t a rebound and she’s not in for that and that she likes girls more. Either way.. the pairing has gotten much so I appreciate the crumbs we get.   And that being our one and only Bughead scene, I don’t think I’m getting upset over nothing in regards to them on this show. 

I am with your there sister (?)... Being a total bughead fan, I worship whatever cute scenes they have together just because I know they're just getting send huge piles of crap at them just to split them... HAd this discussion so many times already lol.... Well, now it's getting to the point that if they won't be able to get together and stay together, then fuck it, this torture is getting really annoying lol. Hmmm, maybe that's what they're trying to do just so fans will lean towards Barchie? having them being end-game? who knows.... All I know is that I was grateful for the 30 second of pillow talk that Bughead had... I'll take that any day lol :D

About the episode, loved the format even if it was weird in its own way, loved that they split it in three, very original... Not the greatest episode, more of a filler?? But still interesting because we got very good, unusual storylines...

ARchie + Jughead

I admire that Archie stuck by his friend even if he knew he was helping him doing something bad...  He was the voice of reason and he was loyal to the end. I really hope he won't give up on jughead. It was nice to see how they really stuck to eachother, the whole NYC talk and all, sigh.. He is worried about jughead and it shows... and I think Jughead himself was made aware of this... Ultimate bromance!! Hopefully they'll share more scenes in the future like that... It really broke my heart when Jughead asked archie to go to the library... Had to laugh at that.... I helped you deliver drugs and now you want to go to the library?!?! lol...

And Jughead, (wished I could insert a facepalm GIF).... I will blame his young age and his undying devotion to this dad for falling for Penny's shit crap story!! I mean come on, did he drink from the Andrews' faucet or something and got dumbed down?!?! I just couldn't believe it and now he's falling more and more... He was a freaking broody kid in s1 who didn't trust shit and thought the Serpents were the worst people in the world and now he's riding out to be a drug mole?!?!!? Sorry... I'm a bit loss for words...

OH and that actor dude, that was nice! NEver saw candyman because I thought it was such a creepy movie and I was still young at the time but I knew who he was... It was nice to see him alive and be all spooky... Nice one show!

Josie + Cheryl

Realy creepy of Cheryl, is she like what obsessed with Josie or having a crush?!?! Ouh.. It was nasty that one, making up a stalker to get to Josie... I'm glad we saw the other pussycats talk (yea!) I thought the whole story was okay... And chuck is back at the school?!?! since when?!?!?! How's betty taking it? WHy aren't they talking about that?!?!?! I would actually think of Chuck as nice in this episode  (and maybe closer to the Chuck in the comics) if it weren't for all the shit he pulled last season so excuse if I stll think he's a creep!!! when Pop got he phone call at the end of the episode I was hoping it was news that Chuck had gotten killed by BH.

And the janitor... I am hoping he's not blackhood because it would be sooo typical to suspect him with his side glances at the girls...

B + V

I thought that part was actually funny!! Like two girls nancy drewing snooping... Having kevin explain D + D to veronica was sooo cute and the way she tried to get info out of a very sweaty and DILFY keller (I was impressed tbh) was so cute!!!

And Keller + McCoy having an affair lol lol lol!! That was wow!!! I was thinking it might've been Alice but having McCoy there!!! Ohhh, the plot thickens...

An okay episode, it felt almost like a Halloween episode since it was pretty creepy

Next episode sounds promising....  Bughead + party = trouble (that's for sure), I cannot wait to see the jones go for their sunday bike ride (heart eyes) and Varchie, for all their physical chemistry, the fact that she freaks out when the three words are uttered, promises to be great... But ehm, there's 2 episodes before xmas break right? Where's the freaking snow?!?!

Edited by PeekaBoo
pressed the send button too early...
  • Love 4

the individual stories needed more overlap to be a bit more cohesive. 

I actually thought they did a good job with that by the end. You could see the touchpoints between the three stories emerging: the phone ringing at Pop's, Cheryl's "Out of the way, Bert and Ernie!" the boys coming into the restaurant after their adventure in Greendale/Innsmouth/Arkham. It was frustrating at first but definitely paid off by the end.

The only missing threads that stood out for me were:

Missing parents: I know they can't get everybody in every episode and it's not like Mayor McCoy/Sheriff Keller weren't there, but where was Alice Cooper? This is exactly the kind of thing she likes to throw shit fits about, she printed the latest BH screed in the paper! But it was Betty's father who was at the station and frankly seemed pretty low-key considering she just accused the town sheriff of being a serial killer! Plus, Archie's dad must really be tripping balls on those pain meds to not notice his kid--the same Mensa member who threatened the Black Hood via YouTube last week--taking his truck and being out all night, only to bring it back with a brand new tire (I assume Archie used his debit card to pay for that and the roadside assistance? Isn't money tight for them?)

And speaking of that latest BH crap, why weren't people more up in arms about it?? They were ready to put the entire South Side to the torch and send all the kids at the high school to the salt mines over jingle-jangle but this gets a collective shoulder shrug? Also, when did that 48 hour countdown begin? When the paper hit the streets? Nine a.m.? When? Not that anybody seemed to care one bit; Mayor "you'll be locked up in your hotel room by 5 p.m., young lady!" McCoy had no problem leaving her vocally paralyzed daughter alone to sneak out for some slap and tickle despite the fact that they've both been getting death threats!

• Love 3

I have let my reaction to this episode sit in my head for two days and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.  There were scenes and elements I enjoyed.  For instance, I always enjoy B&V conversations, and the phone call to Veronica while she was at Kevin's house was pretty great.  But the episode just didn't sit right with me and I can't even say exactly what.  Everything that felt off still had elements I liked.  But still....

Also, add me to the list of people who though Sheriff Keller was going to misinterpret Veronica's questioning as coming on to him.  So glad that didn't actually happen.  

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

Also, add me to the list of people who though Sheriff Keller was going to misinterpret Veronica's questioning as coming on to him. 

That was quite possibly the most awkward scene this show has done yet. It was so cringingly painful and yet hilarious because of that.

I know what you mean. I liked many parts of the episode but I don't think I liked the episode as a whole.

• Love 1

Eh. I really didn’t like this episode. Some parts were okay but as a whole not my feel. But then it’s reallt odd how distance the characters are from the first season, and like I’ve said in a hundred and thousand posts the timeline has only been a few weeks. 

Im sure if I quit the show many of you will be happy to not have to read my posts complaining and what not.. and I’m sorry for that but I’m one of the few who thought season 1 was kind of really well done. I thought all the elements fit good last season and this season I’m not really here for what they’re doing. 

Maybe Pretty little liars burnt me out on watching teenagers get mentally and emotionally abused but like I said in another post at least they had some fun and each other. A lot of the characters on this show seem to be having to be alone while facing everything and that’s not my cup of tea. At least not for a whole bunch of episodes or a whole season. It’s not fun. I’m not into it. 

Plus every single one of the characters is now being ruined by this season. Seriously they have even started to ruin Cheryl last night.  I mean.. I’m all for Cheryl being bi/gay but the way the show is going about is such a bad idea. It really is. Making her a stalker? That turns me off of this show quite a lot.

I just feel like I’m becoming real disappointed with each new episode. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I’m thrilled this episode seems friendship oriented. Like Archie and Jughead get their own story and so so Veronica and Betty.

Also Seriously Jughead believing it would only be a one time thing is again idiotic. He went down the rabbit hole and back then I questioned since the first episode this season when he asked for a favor from the gang and they brought a beaten guy to his trailer and said he was in it now he kept going back.

That scene in the diner with Jughead and Archie broke my heart.

Also i called Penny lying to Jughead. Am the only one who’s over this gang storyline now? I really hate watching teenagers being tortured via black hooded serial killers or people in gangs. At least on pretty little liars, the teenagers got to enjoy themselves occasionally. The characters on this show never do. Or maybe it’s a few characters on this show are always being kicked. 

I agree...it was nice seeing the pairs being more friendship geared than romantically geared this episode. We had Archie & Jughead  -Archie being there for Jughead and then Jughead wanting to spend time with Archie at the library looking into the Riverdale Reaper. And the sadness that Archie couldn't. I really like their friendship, and I love that we're seeing more of it this season. Jughead was there for Archie when Fred got shot, and now Archie is being there for Jughead through all of this (probably literal, if you check the snake cages at the Whyte Wyrm) snake shit. (Not even sure if snakes shit. Ok, just Googled "Do snakes poop?" They do. This is very offside...)

We got Betty & Veronica sleuthing, and it was a blast to watch. Got a chuckle out of the scene at the school too where Betty was saying she thought Sheriff Keller was the Black Hood, and Veronica said it was an affair. 

And then we got sweet, precious Kevin & Veronica friendship scenes. I think theirs is the most underrated friendship on the show. They're adorable! 

And the Cheryl & Josie friendship scenes were sweet...until that Cheryl reveal. Yowza...but on another note, she is an insanely talented artist. Girl could go places with that!

Also super annoyed at how they're dumbing Jughead down this season. He should be way smarter than this. I guess we can chalk it up to his misery over his dad being in prison and the whole Serpent initiation. I think both of those messed him up pretty bad. But I miss smart, logical Jughead. Please come back, Juggie!!!

And lastly, word to your point about these character's seemingly never getting to enjoy themselves. At least last season there was parties and dances, and milkshakes at Pops and lunch breaks together. This season, even those moments are interspersed with DARKNESS and DRAMA and ANGST. 

18 hours ago, SeanC said:

Ooh, truth! Preach! Praise hands!! Poor Kevin. I kind of hope he finds out that Betty thought his dad was the Black Hood. (Maybe still could be? Who knows, on this crazy show...)

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Is Pop's open 24 hours, 7 days a week?

Yeah man! It's the Denny's of Riverdale!

I really enjoyed how the Riverdale reaper clearly stole his MO from the book "In Cold Blood". And speaking of stealing, is it just me, or did the beginning of Josie's song sound exactly like the beginning of "Do It Again" by Steely Dan? 

I though the format of last night's episode was really cool, how the stories all intertwined. The direction was great last night. And I have to say, the acting this season has been pretty fantastic. KJ Apa especially has really impressed me this season. And I know a lot of people think Cole Sprouse is overacting, but I think he's been really impressive in his subtle moments - example being this episode when he went to visit FP in prison, and his reaction upon seeing that FP was very much not hurt. I can't wait for FP to find out the crap that Penny Peabody is pulling. I think she's gonna have hell to pay for messing with FP's boy. 

• Love 7

So....I rolled my eyes at the beginning. The narration was stupid, and I did not like it. The episode, overall, was ok, but mostly because of the Josie section, sans Cheryl, and the friendship scenes. 

I guess, starting with the Archie/Jughead story, I liked seeing their friendship. I like that Archie got to be the smart one out of the two for once.  I like how loyal he's been to Jughead. He really cares about him, and it showed when he went along with whatever Jughead wanted, but even didn't let him completely go off with Creepy Truck Driver alone. He came back for him! Jughead was just stupid the entire episode. Getting into an unknown van, without Archie, and even leaving Archie alone in the middle of nowhere? Also, the truck driver was cartoonishly suspicious.

I remember the actor from the actual Candyman movie, and I get what they were going for, but it fell flat for me. Also, I don't like the path Jughead is going down. I liked broody outsider Jughead, not drug mule Serpent Jughead. It means that he's separated from Betty this season. Seven episodes in and I think they've only shared a total of ten scenes. Also, now Jughead's gotten Archie inadvertently involved with that video. I just don't get why Jughead's acting like season 1 Archie. Did he really think Penny Peabody was being honest with him? Did he not heed FP's warning about her? 

Cheryl and Josie! That was a nice surprise. Josie's getting a bit more to do, though I still find that the show doesn't know what to do with her. So, they pair her with Chuck? It was nice to see her and Cheryl hanging out. We hear about their friendship but we don't see it nearly enough. I also liked seeing a bit more of the Pussycats. I don't blame Val or Melody for getting pissed. And Melody got to speak! Cool! Too bad it was really just a way to get Chuck and Josie to hang out. However, I do think that Chuck is capable of change. I do think they made him too cartoonishly evil in season 1 and he is still a kid at the end of it all. But I won't hold out hope that it's a genuine change. He still has a long way to go to redeem what he did last season.

I'm also now annoyed with the Cheryl twist. So, she is the stalker, right? Also, what's up with the janitor in their part? Is he some sort of important cameo, or is he going to become some important character? Should I care?

Betty looking at Sheriff Keller as a suspect was funny because it was really about her questioning how the Black Hood got into the police station. Seeing as the police have been incompetent when doing their jobs, I think it's quite easy for anyone to sneak in. It was nice to see Veronica and Betty hanging out. Funny how Veronica was right, but I'm not sure what Sheriff Keller and Mayor McCoy's romantic relationship is leading to. Though the idea of Kevin and Josie sharing some future scenes would be fun. I did enjoy the split screen phone call between Betty and Veronica, though. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Snookums said:

He wasn't hurt: it was a lie to motivate Jughead. And no, he didn't so much as call the prison to check to see if the creepy gang lawyer lady who's asking him to run a shady as fuck errand was telling the truth; nor did he laugh in her face when she showed him the cell footage and say what, what on that is illegal? Us dropping off a crate? Do you have proof of what's in it? Do you really want Scary Russian Beret woman on your back if you give it to Keller? I know he's a kid and that's why she's getting away with this but it. is. frustrating.

Glad it was not just me. I do not remember anything about Kevin's mom, and for whatever reason I was sure Josie's parents were divorced? 

I am having a hard time with this season, and I really did not like this episode. 

• Love 3

for whatever reason I was sure Josie's parents were divorced? 

I think they are? I know he doesn't live in town because he's off being unbelievably snobby about jazz and snubbing his insanely talented daughter because she sang Diana Ross at the talent show. But Sheriff Keller is married, and the town's legislative and law enforcement branches should NOT be in bed together, literally or otherwise.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Snookums said:

Pops actually died thirty five years ago and the Chok'litt Shop is run by his earth-bound shade.

LOL  I was thinking that Pops is some sort of vampire...he is always in the Shop (so never in sunlight) and doesn't need to sleep...

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Snookums said:

19 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

This. But also.. everywhere the show seems to be moving is fast moving into something I don’t think I want to watch.

Also as far as Cheryl’s crush.. I hated whatever the transgender thing on pll was that was awful so I find it pretty bad here if that’s where they are going. Also.. it wasn’t just Josie that saved Cheryl? Veronica was there but I guess she’s taken so Cheryl passed but weren’t the other pussycats there as well? I mean.. odd. I know Josie is her bestie but they’re making it seem like Cheryl’s in love with her due to her saving her.. which.. she wasn’t the only one but okay. 

Idk what happened on Pretty Little Liars, but I don't think the plan is for Cheryl to be transgender.

5 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Eh. I really didn’t like this episode. Some parts were okay but as a whole not my feel. But then it’s reallt odd how distance the characters are from the first season, and like I’ve said in a hundred and thousand posts the timeline has only been a few weeks. 

Im sure if I quit the show many of you will be happy to not have to read my posts complaining and what not.. and I’m sorry for that but I’m one of the few who thought season 1 was kind of really well done. I thought all the elements fit good last season and this season I’m not really here for what they’re doing. 

Maybe Pretty little liars burnt me out on watching teenagers get mentally and emotionally abused but like I said in another post at least they had some fun and each other. A lot of the characters on this show seem to be having to be alone while facing everything and that’s not my cup of tea. At least not for a whole bunch of episodes or a whole season. It’s not fun. I’m not into it. 

Plus every single one of the characters is now being ruined by this season. Seriously they have even started to ruin Cheryl last night.  I mean.. I’m all for Cheryl being bi/gay but the way the show is going about is such a bad idea. It really is. Making her a stalker? That turns me off of this show quite a lot.

I just feel like I’m becoming real disappointed with each new episode. 

Wait did I miss something in my sleep-deprived stupor? How do we know Cheryl is the stalker?

I’m assuming Cheryl is the one leaving her the teddy bear and notes, as  Josie found a creepy sketch and we later saw Cheryl sketching a very same looking picture.

And I don’t think they are making her transgender, but making her a stalker to someone she’s crushing on isn’t cute or adorable or romantic. I want better than that.i was using pretty little liars as an example because they had someone stalker teenage girls for years and then the character was transgender and the story was really terrible.And I feel like this show is going down the same bad storytelling path of making Cheryl stalk someone because she’s gay or bi. Which as I said I would be fine with that, I just feel like making her a stalker- It just doesn’t look good to me, storywise.

I still didn’t like this episode at all. It wasn’t that great. Odd to me since everyone on the show was praising it. I just.. I don’t know. I’ve also watched it twice and I’m still not into it.  I really miss season one.

Edited by WhosThatGirl

I’m not saying it has to be about the ships/couples every episode, it doesn’t. I’m just saying bughead has gotten a fairly dose of not a whole lot of scenes compared to our other main ship of Veronica and Archie and that at this point, that feels intentional. For what intent I’m not sure. It’s just interesting.

• Love 1

I don’t know if I was supposed to root for Josie and Chuck here. 

i really do, i buy it. They are not enough black couples on TV

Seriously.. the Betty and Jughead scene was cute but considering that was all we got is annoying. 

They got featured a lot especially last season,  they cant always be on the forefront in an ensemble show, it would get old very fast. With 22 episodes it makes sense to rotate around the cast of characters.

Well to me this was the best episode of the season, if not the entire series. Its like they found their groove for the season.  

i don’t know. I’m meh on this episode. I think I’m slowly becoming done when this show. 

Im sorry to hear that, i really think this is one of the most creative, and well portrayed of shows out there. But I guess its not for everyone¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Edited by HeroLeague
  • Love 5