Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S01.E03: Because You Left

Recommended Posts

Quote

After another arrest, Midge finds herself in legal trouble, forcing her to rely on Susie's street smarts. Abe approaches Moishe with an interesting proposition. Lenny Bruce offers some unconventional inspiration for Midge's act.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Lenny Bruce is a hotty.  

Loved Midge at the jazz club.  I also don't carry pictures of my child in my purse.   Loved her whole introduction of the band, "Is Lenny Bruce boring at home?" Ha!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MorganSte said:

Lenny Bruce is a hotty.  

Yeah, I've not heard of the actor who is portraying him, but I'm loving the relationship between him and Midge!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, saoirse said:

Yeah, I've not heard of the actor who is portraying him, but I'm loving the relationship between him and Midge!

I think I recognize him from that Sundance show... Rectify. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Jo Stafford? God, I love the music on this show.

I don't know where they're going with flashback Joel. I'm gathering he was funny and more aggressive/confident. Maybe that's part of his current crisis of masculinity. But what does it do for the show for us to care about their relationship after they've already broken up? If anything, I'm more interested in Palmer and Miriam's life as a peroxide blonde. Her accent didn't completely go away but it seems like to some extent she was trying to "pass" as a gentile.

I don't know if it's the relationship but I felt like the Midge/Imogene scene was written WAY more like Gilmore Girls than anything else. It was jarring. Also, the costumes are gorgeous but some of the references (Dr. Spock) are a bit hamfisted. Like all those cases this lawyer apparently worked? Jesus Christ. 

Ooh, the paternalism of that judge. Not sure about the comedy in that scene. Again, tone.

Would I be more into this Lenny Bruce thing if I knew anything about his comedy? Like, is it a successful impression?

Oh, so now they have black friends? Eh... I feel like ASP is still treading lightly when it comes to race and to me it's coming across a bit awkward. It's both not an issue (look at how this woman who apparently knows no black people is totally cool with them, many unsegregated spaces) and yet an issue in a good, socially conscious way (arrested for spitting, Jim Crow). 

I did think it was a bit awkward how she was supposed to introduce the musicians and then went on and on with her rambling stand up. I guess we were supposed to chalk it up to the pot.

Really enjoying Alex Borstein.

OK, I kind of loved that she just said "no." 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

The scenes with Midge and Lenny Bruce, Midge and Susie and Midge on stage are what carries the show for me.  I also like Tony Shalhoub as the dad.  The other characters are just over acting, especially MIdge's mom and her best friend.  Honestly, I would be ok just watching Midge on stage for 20 minutes and the before and after scenes with Susie.  Great stuff between them.

I do find it hard to believe that Midge would be so willing to kick Joel to the curb given everything she did for him up to this point, including her nighttime routine.  Women back then didn't really have a lot of role models for being a single mom.  I get why her dad is working so hard to get them back together.  He can't deal with his wife dealing with the separation.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

 Then it turns out he's been screwing his secretary for months, and he leaves the night before a MAJOR dinner both families have been planning for a long time.

It wasn't a major dinner. It was the  Yom Kippur break fast, which is more major. I am loving the general portrayal of NY Jewishness in this show, but it did NOT get Yom Kippur right. It had moments in Miriam's reactions when she realized that she screwed up fasting for Yom Kippur, but the problem was that everyone else was shown as ignoring Yom Kippur, too. Everyone should have been fasting and in temple. No one would have been working (Moishe probably wouldn't have kept the factory open either, but if he did, he wouldn't have been in it). It's a shame because Joel leaving on Yom Kippur was significant and made his confession and leaving that much worse.

Also, I can't figure out if the families are supposed to keep kosher or not, but either they wouldn't have the rabbi if they didn't keep a kosher home, or they're in a Reform congregation and the rabbi wouldn't have cared about the shrimp in the eggroll joke (I can't remember the dates of the Reform movement, so I'm not sure what the likelihood is of well-off NY Jews being Reform). The writers are doing a really great job with the cadence and speech for the dialogue, but not the religion at all.

 

Would I be more into this Lenny Bruce thing if I knew anything about his comedy? Like, is it a successful impression?

I YouTubed Lenny Bruce's comedy, and I find the impression freakishly accurate. I also assume Miriam and Lenny can't get together because Lenny Bruce is real and Miriam is not, but they're chemistry was great. 

 

I'm not sure what the show is doing with Joel's character. I feel bad for him having a crisis and not having the life he wanted at all, but he's also an a-hole with to date no redeeming features. I didn't find him charming in the flashback; I found him to be a creeper. Also, seeing Miriam play at WASPiness made me cranky that they cast a non-ethnically-Ashkenazi Jewish actress. I didn't mind in the previous eps because she's really good (and did at least grow up in Highland Park), but it made that character beat not make a lot of sense.

 

Feel like Midge is already careening headlong into Mary Sue territory

To me, she's the opposite. She's witty, but she's otherwise a hot mess! She's a horrible, neglectful mother; she's a bit of a user; and she has zero impulse control. Comedy is her one redeeming feature right now!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Also, seeing Miriam play at WASPiness made me cranky that they cast a non-ethnically-Ashkenazi Jewish actress. I didn't mind in the previous eps because she's really good (and did at least grow up in Highland Park), but it made that character beat not make a lot of sense.

Could you explain what you mean?

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/29/2017 at 6:54 PM, MorganSte said:

Lenny Bruce is a hotty.  

Loved Midge at the jazz club.  I also don't carry pictures of my child in my purse.   Loved her whole introduction of the band, "Is Lenny Bruce boring at home?" Ha!

I used to carry them specifically because I thought I was supposed to. I don't carry pictures anymore (not even on my phone - except for the face shots for their contact information). 

On 11/30/2017 at 7:22 AM, DianeDobbler said:

I expected them not to show us Penny Pan, so was very happy they went ahead and cast the part. That said, is she living with Joel, and would that be acceptable in the 1960s?

Since he was ducking her call and telling his secretary to say he'd already left, I don't believe she's living with him. Besides, isn't he staying with their friends?

On 12/2/2017 at 6:47 AM, Dminches said:

I do find it hard to believe that Midge would be so willing to kick Joel to the curb given everything she did for him up to this point, including her nighttime routine.  Women back then didn't really have a lot of role models for being a single mom.  I get why her dad is working so hard to get them back together.  He can't deal with his wife dealing with the separation.

I don't, for many of the reasons @DianeDobbler stated, and also, she has a fairly sweet fall back position, even if she doesn't really want to live with her family. She certainly uses them to allow herself the kind of freedom most moms don't have, never mind single moms. 

I love Tony Shaluob, but it wasn't until the last scene that I really thought he started to be more than a cardboard character.

Also, I loved Susie this episode. Now I can see why she would have been in the running for Suki on Gilmore Girls.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/12/2017 at 5:45 AM, aradia22 said:

Could you explain what you mean?

 

On 12/12/2017 at 7:27 PM, Zuleikha said:

What didn't you understand?

I wasn’t the original poster but I also didn’t understand your comment about her “playing at WASPiness” Do you mean the particular episode, a scene, the whole season?  

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

What didn't you understand?

How does casting an ethnically Ashkenazi Jewish actress change her trying to act WASPy? And what does it have to do with Highland Park?

Share this post


Link to post

How does casting an ethnically Ashkenazi Jewish actress change her trying to act WASPy? And what does it have to do with Highland Park?

 

Not "act.," play at being, including appearance  with the blonde hair. But since Rachel Brosnahan doesn't have a very typical Ashkenazi look*, the character beat doesn't make a lot of sense, IMHO. There's a reason for all the jokes about Jewish girls getting nose jobs on their 16th birthdays. 

Highland Park was more of a joking aside, then a serious aside. It's a part of the North Shore suburbs that had a high population of Jews.

*In motion anyway... for whatever reason, I do think she has more of a typical Ashkenazi look in the way she photographs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ah, OK @Zuleikha. I thought that was telegraphed enough from her very odd look with the blonde hair (I mean, I don't think she would look crazy with blonde hair if they'd chosen something that works better with her complexion, etc.) but I get what you mean. Compared to other actresses she can "pass" more easily. I was just curious if there was something different culturally or something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest

I didn't even recognize her with the blonde hair.  I figured it was Joel hitting on some blonde in present day.  

Share this post


Link to post

I'm slow watching, so I might be skewed, but this episode really felt off. I didn't think it was realistic or in character for Midge to mouth off to the judge -- she was raised in decorum, and even if she's a free-spirit on stage or when drunk, her more ingrained instincts would come into play when dealing with a judge. It's not in character -- at least not for me -- for a woman who went out of her way to dress for the meeting with her lawyer to be so cavalier and profane in front of massive and scary authority figure. 

The pilot hd a wonderful pace to it -- setting the scene, letting us see the characters develop at least to a degree. Since then, it's been moving far too fast plot wise, and character transformations and epiphanies are coming too fast. maybe they thought they'd only have a few episodes and had a large story to tell, but everything is moving too quickly for it to be nearly as good as it could be. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On December 17, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Zuleikha said:

Not "act.," play at being, including appearance  with the blonde hair. But since Rachel Brosnahan doesn't have a very typical Ashkenazi look*, the character beat doesn't make a lot of sense, IMHO. There's a reason for all the jokes about Jewish girls getting nose jobs on their 16th birthdays. 

Highland Park was more of a joking aside, then a serious aside. It's a part of the North Shore suburbs that had a high population of Jews.

I'm from Skokie (another North Shore suburb) and a lot of my friends got their "deviated septums" fixed for their 16th birthdays.

PS Rachel Broshahan isn't Jewish, although most of the cast is.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Re: that article

Quote

But Sherman-Palladino isn’t concerned about such minutiae when the focus is Midge as a character.

“I wasn’t setting out to do a Jewish show,” said Sherman-Palladino. “I was just setting out to do her family, so possibly I should have given it a little more thought? 

This gives me pause. It effectively sums up some of my issues with the show. It feels like it wants to flirt with different topics and get praise when it does things well but not have to undergo scrutiny when it falls short. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I also thought it was OOC for Midge to talk back to the Judge in such a fashion. 

She never seems to spend any time with her kids (except for the walk in the park with the Bunheads actress). 

So glad that Midge said "No". 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/12/2017 at 1:55 AM, Zuleikha said:

Also, I can't figure out if the families are supposed to keep kosher or not, but either they wouldn't have the rabbi if they didn't keep a kosher home, or they're in a Reform congregation and the rabbi wouldn't have cared about the shrimp in the eggroll joke (I can't remember the dates of the Reform movement, so I'm not sure what the likelihood is of well-off NY Jews being Reform). The writers are doing a really great job with the cadence and speech for the dialogue, but not the religion at all.

Reform is older than conservative - I believe late 1800s, early 1900s and it would make sense for this group - at least Midge's family.  It was either in this episode or the one before, where Moishe even remarks that Abe is a non-believer. I think they kind of show that Joel is from old school/traditional -- garmet district, vs. Abe who is a professor of math at Columbia (which wasn't always an option for someone Jewish -even though traditionally Columbia was pretty welcoming to Jewish people compared to some of the other older Ivies.)  Joel's mom with the chicken soup, also more old school.  

The YK stuff confused me too, especially the timeline. Was it Kol Nidre the pilot episode?  I  grew up and still belong to a consevative syngagoue so I go on Kol Nidre and the next day, but even my most reform friends go to Kol Nidre (and then maybe Yizkor the next day if they have lost a parents or sib or spouse) -- more than take off for RH and up there with Passover seders in terms of most people observing it.  And agree with who ever said the garment factory would be closed. Back then the whole business was Jewish, there would have been nobody to even do businsess with because most places would have closed back then. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I believe Joel is couch surfing at his friend's place (the guy married to Imogene), the Clearys?

I really hope they don't make it where she's only on stage when she's drunk.

Tony Shalhoub is a gem and I'm going to steal the women's wardrobes. BTW: if you like that era and style, there are a few places that cater to that like Stop Staring Clothing and Unique Vintage. I swear I'm watching this show for the costuming. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/9/2018 at 11:45 AM, Atlanta said:

Tony Shalhoub is a gem and I'm going to steal the women's wardrobes. BTW: if you like that era and style, there are a few places that cater to that like Stop Staring Clothing and Unique Vintage. I swear I'm watching this show for the costuming. 

Ditto for me - the clothes and sets are absolutely gorgeous, and I've been watching just to live in that world for awhile. The colours in the garments and decor are just stunning. I know little of Manhattan, but I love the vanished world they seem to have recreated. As far as the actors go, I like the lead actress, but am finding the back and forth with her loser ex a bit tedious. I may also be in the minority, but with the exception of her drunk rant, I'm also finding Miriam's comedy routines weak. Watching for the eye candy mostly.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/30/2017 at 7:22 AM, DianeDobbler said:

I expected them not to show us Penny Pan, so was very happy they went ahead and cast the part. That said, is she living with Joel, and would that be acceptable in the 1960s?

Penny was already cast before this episode. Midge saw her trying to sharpen a pencil in the first episode while she was still Joel's secretary. She wasn't seen in this episode though. Her only "appearance" in this episode was when Joel's new secretary told him that Penny was on the phone for him again and he said to tell her that he'd already left work.

It was mentioned in this episode and the previous one that Joel has been staying at Archie and Imogene's place since he left Midge, so he isn't living with Penny. A married man living with his unmarried girlfriend would have been looked down upon by a lot of people in the 1950s (the show takes place in the 50s, not the 60s).

Imogene: Joel left you. 
Midge: I know. I was there. How do you know?
Imogene: He's at my house right now.
Midge: What?
Imogene: Joel showed up at our house with this tiny girl suitcase, and he and Archie went into Archie's office and shut the door, and all I could hear was "bowling" and "pandas." Did you fight about bowling?
Midge: No. 
Imogene: Was there a panda?
Midge: No.
Imogene: Well, maybe it wasn't pandas, but it had a P.
Midge: Joel left me for his secretary. Penny Pann.
Imogene: Pann like panda.

Imogene: I thought we weren't speaking his name.
Midge: He's living with you, Imogene, how can you not speak his name?

Archie: If you don't eat before you get home, Imogene left you some meatloaf in the fridge. 
Joel: Oh, I'll be fine. 
Archie: Sitter will be there at 7:00, but she knows you got first dibs on the TV.
Joel: Yeah, listen, Arch, you know, I'm not gonna be on your couch forever. I promise. 
Archie: What are you talking about? This is great. You're like the pet we never had.
Joel: Yeah, well, I'm working on a plan, just so you know.
Archie: Sure, sure. Get your own place. Get your name up in lights.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The Spoiler Policy for this forum is posted on a pinned thread at the top of the forum. I've hidden recent posts that cite plot points from future episodes. If you really need the future behind you in order to make your point, you may reply in the thread for the future episode, or, in the thread for Season 1, Episode 10. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Although Midge found Joel charming in the flashback scene at the party, I found him creepy and gross.

Part of me likes when we get scenes with Imogene and Midge because I feel like we need to see her interacting with people outside of Susie and her family. But I feel like the Imogene scenes usually suffer from a combination of Gilmore Girls-itis with all the fast talking and Imogene just talking about Joel.

I was so glad that Midge turned down Joel's suggestion that they try again. He cheated on her for months and then stormed out of their home in the middle of the night. Why should she take him back? He has shown no remorse for either of these things. When he suggested they get back together, he just said that things seemed crappy for both of them (because he was sleeping on Archie's couch and she needed $200 cash out of the blue). He didn't even apologize for sleeping with his secretary or leaving her and the kids!

But I continue to enjoy Susie and all the gorgeous costumes we get to see!

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Although Midge found Joel charming in the flashback scene at the party, I found him creepy and gross.

Part of me likes when we get scenes with Imogene and Midge because I feel like we need to see her interacting with people outside of Susie and her family. But I feel like the Imogene scenes usually suffer from a combination of Gilmore Girls-itis with all the fast talking and Imogene just talking about Joel.

I was so glad that Midge turned down Joel's suggestion that they try again. He cheated on her for months and then stormed out of their home in the middle of the night. Why should she take him back? He has shown no remorse for either of these things. When he suggested they get back together, he just said that things seemed crappy for both of them (because he was sleeping on Archie's couch and she needed $200 cash out of the blue). He didn't even apologize for sleeping with his secretary or leaving her and the kids!

But I continue to enjoy Susie and all the gorgeous costumes we get to see!

And not just any night - the night before they had the Rabbi and others over for the big breakfast. The timing that brought the most stress and humiliation for her. I don't think she should take him back either.

As for the creepiness, I agree. But I've found (in my aged years), that stuff I didn't find creepy in earlier days (but not so early as the 50's), I find creepy now because our culture has changed and we've made some progress. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

As for the creepiness, I agree. But I've found (in my aged years), that stuff I didn't find creepy in earlier days (but not so early as the 50's), I find creepy now because our culture has changed and we've made some progress. 

Oh, I totally agree. I think part of it is what you put up with in your youth and part of it is that we are slowly getting people to understand what is considered unacceptable behavior. When I was a freshman in college, there was a university employee who I worked with on campus. This guy was at least 35 years old and he asked me out to dinner, made inappropriate comments about my appearance, and wrote me super creepy "sexy" poems. I was 18 so I was like eh, that's just how guys are.

When I casually mentioned the situation to a friend of mine who lived in my dorm, he said, "Don't go anywhere." He walked down the hallway, knocked on someone else's door, brought her back to me, and had us tell each other about the same creepy guy. It turned out that he was doing this to every girl who worked there. Instead of reporting him for sexual harassment, we just laughed about how stupid he was and how bad his poetry was. I transferred to another school and before I graduated, I realized DAMN IT, I totally realized that should have reported him because he was being very inappropriate in the workplace! I had his poems and I had at least one other person who had experienced the same thing, so it would have been a pretty strong case for him at least being reprimanded. But at the time, just two years earlier, the thought never even crossed my mind to report it to my boss or HR.

Although I found Joel's behavior rude and creepy, I can understand how a college aged Miriam would have found it flattering that he was pursuing her and would have called him confident (rather than creepy).

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Oh, I totally agree. I think part of it is what you put up with in your youth and part of it is that we are slowly getting people to understand what is considered unacceptable behavior. When I was a freshman in college, there was a university employee who I worked with on campus. This guy was at least 35 years old and he asked me out to dinner, made inappropriate comments about my appearance, and wrote me super creepy "sexy" poems. I was 18 so I was like eh, that's just how guys are.

You are so right.

I remember at least a couple teachers in college who had a "favorite" every semester, and were physically involved. Never once thought of reporting them. I was going to minor in one field, but there was a professor there who was a known lech, from whom you had to take a number of classes to get the minor. I was warned off by another woman, so I decided against it. I think she might have reported him - but I don't recall him having to answer for anything.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I remember at least a couple teachers in college who had a "favorite" every semester, and were physically involved. Never once thought of reporting them. I was going to minor in one field, but there was a professor there who was a known lech, from whom you had to take a number of classes to get the minor. I was warned off by another woman, so I decided against it. I think she might have reported him - but I don't recall him having to answer for anything.

Once they're tenured, they seldom have to face any serious consequences. There are also so many instances where professors marry their grad students and they're never reprimanded for dating their students, despite the pretty obvious proof (heh, unless you believe that two people can work together, keep their relationship completely professional, and then just decide to get married out of the blue without ever going on a date).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Jo Stafford? God, I love the music on this show.

I found myself "Shazam-ing" numerous times in this episode!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I know that I am way late to the party but I just started watching this show today. I am up to episode 6 of season 1 so I'm reading all the episode topics up to 6 and then will continue watching but I just wanted to say that it was driving me nuts but I finally figured out that the lawyer for Midge was the kid who used to climb into Doogie Howser's window. I can't remember his name from that show.

Edited by configdotsys · Reason: spelling error
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, configdotsys said:

I know that I am way late to the party but I just started watching this show today. I am up to episode 6 of season 1 so I'm reading all the episode topics up to 6 and then will continue watching but I just wanted to say that it was driving me nuts but I finally figured out that the lawyer for Midge was the kid who used to climb into Doogie Howser's window. I can't remember his name from that show.

I'm only a few days behind and also very late

But I didn't realize that was Vinnie Delpino as the lawyer.  Never would have guessed.

That judge was a patronizing ass. 

I am much more interested in her stand up, the censorship angle and relationship with Lenny Bruce, the stand up scene at the time than I am her relationship with her ex, parents, in laws, pretty much anyone else. 

The sets, the wardrobe, the apartments, all exquisite and make you long to be able to travel back in time in New York.  Much the way Mad Men did. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The sets, the wardrobe, the apartments, all exquisite and make you long to be able to travel back in time in New York.  Much the way Mad Men did. 

As beautiful as all the clothes are, all I can think when I watch this and other shows (like Mad Men) is how no one, most particularly women, is wearing anything comfortable. But then, I'm not a fashionable person and buy for comfort, so I'm not the best judge.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

As beautiful as all the clothes are, all I can think when I watch this and other shows (like Mad Men) is how no one, most particularly women, is wearing anything comfortable. But then, I'm not a fashionable person and buy for comfort, so I'm not the best judge.

The clothes are gorgeous. I don’t think they are any more uncomfortable than what I would typically wear to work other than there was no spandex/Lyra then! 1-2% of a blend takes clothes to another level for me. But there was “lounge wear” a SAHM usually wore a house coat to do chores etc, and men had work clothes that were meant to get dirty.

 

The time was far more formal, when I look back at old photos around this time I’m amazed that black people dressed up to sit in the colored section. Makes me kind of proud, and sad. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

The clothes are gorgeous. I don’t think they are any more uncomfortable than what I would typically wear to work other than there was no spandex/Lyra then! 1-2% of a blend takes clothes to another level for me. But there was “lounge wear” a SAHM usually wore a house coat to do chores etc, and men had work clothes that were meant to get dirty.

 

The time was far more formal, when I look back at old photos around this time I’m amazed that black people dressed up to sit in the colored section. Makes me kind of proud, and sad. 

This just made me remember something I hadn't thought of in a long time:  we had school clothes, and Sunday clothes, and play clothes.  We took off the school or Sunday clothes after school or church, and changed into the play clothes.  Times have really changed to where kids are mostly always in play clothes.  Comfortable, can get dirty and it won't be a disaster; it makes sense. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

This just made me remember something I hadn't thought of in a long time:  we had school clothes, and Sunday clothes, and play clothes.  We took off the school or Sunday clothes after school or church, and changed into the play clothes.  Times have really changed to where kids are mostly always in play clothes.  Comfortable, can get dirty and it won't be a disaster; it makes sense. 

Yes I did too and I am only 33! Granted my prep school had uniforms so that might have had something to do with it. My great aunt was our nanny and she always used the phrase “street clothes” vs “house clothes” for adults and I do that! But I say “street clothes” and “lounge wear”(like leggings and sweats). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

 

4 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

This just made me remember something I hadn't thought of in a long time:  we had school clothes, and Sunday clothes, and play clothes.  We took off the school or Sunday clothes after school or church, and changed into the play clothes.  Times have really changed to where kids are mostly always in play clothes.  Comfortable, can get dirty and it won't be a disaster; it makes sense. 

Yes I did too and I am only 33! Granted my prep school had uniforms so that might have had something to do with it. My great aunt was our nanny and she always used the phrase “street clothes” vs “house clothes” for adults and I do that! But I say “street clothes” and “lounge wear”(like leggings and sweats). 

My mom would've used the same vernacular as Midge and Rose. I seem to recall after school it was "play clothes." If the show is still on when Esther goes to kindergarten, we might hear and see that. She might even go to preschool. 

I remember always having scabs on my knees from having to wear dresses and then having recess on the asphalt  "black top."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

As beautiful as all the clothes are, all I can think when I watch this and other shows (like Mad Men) is how no one, most particularly women, is wearing anything comfortable. But then, I'm not a fashionable person and buy for comfort, so I'm not the best judge.

   My mom used to dress like this in the 50s. Not all the time, of course, but on special occasions. I  just love the clothes on this show. Such nostalgia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

The clothes are gorgeous. I don’t think they are any more uncomfortable than what I would typically wear to work other than there was no spandex/Lyra then! 1-2% of a blend takes clothes to another level for me. But there was “lounge wear” a SAHM usually wore a house coat to do chores etc, and men had work clothes that were meant to get dirty.

They're definitely more uncomfortable than what I wear to work (spandex/lyra included). It's not that I'm slovenly, I just wear slacks that fit so I can sit with ease, and nice tops. I wear black athletic shoes because I have terrible feet. So I'm always completely comfortable. Now home clothes, that's where the truly cozy things come in.

My mom used to wear house dresses. In fact, they were the last Christmas gift I gave her. She loved them.

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My mom would've used the same vernacular as Midge and Rose. I seem to recall after school it was "play clothes." If the show is still on when Esther goes to kindergarten, we might hear and see that. She might even go to preschool. 

I remember always having scabs on my knees from having to wear dresses and then having recess on the asphalt  "black top."

I always had skinned knees, but what I remember most is having to crouch when there were dust devils and having to wear stupid snow pants because they wouldn't let us wear pants to school in the winter.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/1/2019 at 5:56 PM, Scarlett45 said:

The clothes are gorgeous. I don’t think they are any more uncomfortable than what I would typically wear to work other than there was no spandex/Lyra then!

The uncomfortable part starts with the "foundation garments" one had to wear underneath those clothes. Rubber girdles (including long-line panty girdles to wear under slacks) were horrible, and for many years a woman who went without one was considered just one step above a hooker. The bras were pretty armor-plated too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

The uncomfortable part starts with the "foundation garments" one had to wear underneath those clothes. Rubber girdles (including long-line panty girdles to wear under slacks) were horrible, and for many years a woman who went without one was considered just one step above a hooker. The bras were pretty armor-plated too.

I’m sure spanx are much more comfy. 

Share this post


Link to post

At one of my waitressing jobs while I was still in high school (graduated in 1969), I was REQUIRED to wear a girdle.  Couldn't have anything jiggling in front of the male customers!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size