Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: The Venue

• Start Topic

The always unwelcome Vulture pops back into Jake and Amy’s lives, threatening to swoop in and take something important away from them. Meanwhile, Boyle and Rosa must track down "Sergeant Peanut Butter," the kidnapped NYPD horse that Charles envies, and Holt challenges Terry to be less image-conscious.

I really enjoyed all 3 storylines and it was fun seeing the Vulture again. I also really liked how connected everyone was this episode. The opening gag of Rosa throwing mini donuts in Jake's mouth appeared again within the episode and the way they brought the Terry/Boyle storylines together, with the party at the end, was really sweet.

• Love 14

"Your continual referral to yourself in the third person finally has consequences" 

"Terry knows" 

The set up to that whole plot was better than the payoff of Terry needing to be liked, but at least it didn't feel quite to tacked on as last week. 

Crafting the Vultures Catfish was too good, as was the messaging him. "oh God it's a penis!" 

• Love 11

"Loose nups" makes me laugh.

Me too! It sounds like an uncomfortable digestive situation. It's so rare that the show puts Jake & Amy's relationship front and center that it's actually a treat when they do - to see them operate so well as a team during the quick run through all the vendors was really cute. I both loved that they ultimately came clean to the saintly fiancee whose name I already forgot *and* that the Vulture held onto the venue for pudding wrestling out of spite. I'll be interested to see if their wedding day is the air date for the season (NOT SERIES, FOX) finale in May.

Now excuse me while I go reclaim all of my crossword puzzles for future floral arrangements.

• Love 8

I laughed so hard at scullys "its finally happening!!!!" Raining donuts like hes been preparing his whole life for that so thats why he was ready when it fell from the sky! Of course Boyles nemesis is a horse lol. It was pretty funny how jake and amy had to pretend they were trying to break them up to help "the saint" and them getting the venue was an "added bonus" ha!

It was funny how awful "the eagle's" party is gonna be but that was gonna be the after party since its within the budget doesnt matter (i know the feeling of going to crap just cause it was cheap/free).

• Love 6

One little detail bugs me the next day: Amy had her verbal agreement with the venue that she had until the end of the day (EOD!) to pay her deposit and secure it. So what kind of crappy supervisor/administrator/representative (what's the title?) chooses to ignore that and give it away to someone else before the deadline? I know The Vulture can be threatening and/or persuasive, but it still seems like a gross violation of civilized behavior. Or, as a never-married person, am I just being naive, and classy venues renege all the time?

Jake & Amy's opening hold-the-date announcement cracked me up, because even though they had agreed between them not to get into the gruesome details behind how they got the venue, he just can't resist going into the gruesomeness, with a hint of glee, even as he knows he mustn't.

• Love 3

It's been a long time since we've had a Jake and Amy story. I appreciate that the relationship hasn't eaten the show the way it would have in a lot of other shows, but this episode was really nice. It was refreshing to see how well Jake and Amy work together and how well suited they area to each other.

I'm struggling to remember if we've seen Sergeant Peanut Butter before. I seem to have a vague recollection of the scene Charles was describing - getting an award at the same time as the horse did. Did that actually happen in-show? I loved the headline Rosa showed him that read "Horse saves small man."

Seems to me like Jake and Amy could have gone along with the Vulture just long enough to secure the rights to the venue before spilling the beans to his fiance. She's been fooled by him this long, a few more days wouldn't have killed her.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

I'm struggling to remember if we've seen Sergeant Peanut Butter before. I seem to have a vague recollection of the scene Charles was describing - getting an award at the same time as the horse did. Did that actually happen in-show? I loved the headline Rosa showed him that read "Horse saves small man."

Way back in Season 1. Charles got the award when he took the bullet for Rosa at the end of initial episode order. Sgt. Peanut Butter was only featured in the Cold Open which was the medal presentation. Charles was already being shown up there.

• Love 8

I LOVE a good Jake and Amy episode, and this one completely delivered. I just love how the show has found a way to make them work as a couple, and keep their stories both funny and sweet. Too many sitcoms will have all their couple related story lines filled with stupid misunderstandings and jealousy and constant mean "jokes" towards each other. Then they break up and get back together three hundred times until the finale where they end up together again, despite often having nothing in common and not even liking each other much. With Jake and Amy, even though they're opposites in many ways, you can totally see how they work together, and their plots are usually about them working as a team or dealing with couple stuff in relatable but funny ways. 

I think my favorite thing though is how much they clearly love and appreciate each others quirks and passions, even if they dont fully get it themselves. Like with Jake asking if they can wrap their flowers in crossword puzzles and Amy getting a Die Hard cake. They're just so adorable! Even though I do wish they had gotten their perfect wedding. It was fun to see The Vulture again, and I am glad they told the charity lady the truth about what a dick he is. 

The other plots were good too, and I like how they tied together at the end with Terry throwing a party for Charles. 

"Its finally happening!!!" 

• Love 16

The Vulture!  Always get a kick out of him and all of his skeevy, slimy glory.  Dean Winters really is awesome in this role.  I'm not surprised that Jake and Amy ended up telling Jean at the end, because both of them are people who probably couldn't live with themselves for long knowing The Vulture is cheating her, but keeping quiet for the venue.  Really enjoyed the actress playing Jean.  As for Jake and Amy, I doubt the new "venue" in the gymnasium will be permanent.  I'm thinking it will either end up in the prescient or they will end up eloping.

Boyle's jealously of Peanut Butter was hilariously, although I do have my sneaking suspicions that the horse is kind of a dick!  But I enjoyed seeing the Boyle/Rosa team again.  What of the best thing this series ever did was quickly drop his creepy crush on her, because their friendship has become one of the highlights of this show.

Ha, I love that they addressed how Terry referring to himself in third person can end up backfiring.  Also is need to be loved by everyone, which is understandable since he truly seems like a guy who just wants to be friends with those around him, but Holt is right that he has to accept that some won't like him for whatever reason.  After-all, it worked out for Holt!  He's now the police captain, while the popular kid from his school is a "sociologist."  Hee!   

That Die Hard cake was the best.  Really, Amy is the best and Jake knows it!

• Love 12

I love that they addressed how Terry referring to himself in third person can end up backfiring.

"Terry's going to regret this." "Are you threatening me?"

The beauty of this show is that's it's just one hilarious one-liner after another. Honestly, I don't know how the writers manage to pull it off week after week. You'd think after five seasons some of it would start to feel stale, but Holt's monotone schtick is just as hilarious as ever. Like his reaction to being asked if anyone ever calls him Ray. "How. Dare. You."

• Love 16

As someone with a number of friends who are sociologists, Holt’s utter disdain with his “A sociologist, Terry” was extra delightful to me. 

God, I wish this show’s numbers were better. Very few sitcoms are consistently this funny and this endearing. 

• Love 20
5 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Way back in Season 1. Charles got the award when he took the bullet for Rosa at the end of initial episode order. Sgt. Peanut Butter was only featured in the Cold Open which was the medal presentation. Charles was already being shown up there.

Wow. Great memory. All Sgt Peanut Butter made me think of was Mr Peanut Butter from Bojack Horseman.

3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Really enjoyed the actress playing Jean.

Where have I seen her before?

As for Jake and Amy, I doubt the new "venue" in the gymnasium will be permanent.

I love when Amy said it was going to be a gymnasium, Jake then said, "Squeak squeak!" like tennis shoes.

Such a great ep. All the plots worked. The cold open with Rosa throwing donut holes to Jake -- "Hole me!" -- was awesome.

Amy and Jake working in tandem on everything was so good. The NYT crossword puzzle-wrapped flowers and Die Hard cake were perfect. Loved every time either one of them said "toight" or "noice" or "nups" not because I'm a big fan of those kinds of words, but because of how normal the usage is betw these two lovebirds. 

Amy made some great disgusted and disturbed faces during the ep.

When the Vulture's phone first made that 'boing' sound, I thought that was just the douchey ringtone he'd chosen for his texts. I thought that was a nice little throwaway joke. I didn't expect anything more from it.

I didn't keep track of all the great jokes, but as usual the Vulture had a bunch of rapid-fire gross statements.

"Research burn!"

I noticed the name of the restaurant where Amy & Jake met with the Vulture and Jean was called Chez Colbert. A shoutout to Stephen? If so, why?

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5

Great episode. Oops I mean "toit ep"!  

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

You can check on IMDb but I know her as the blind girl Kenneth had a crush on in a 30 Rock Episode. And she and Kenneth (aka: Jack McBrayer) played a newlywed couple in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. 

14 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Jake & Amy's opening hold-the-date announcement cracked me up, because even though they had agreed between them not to get into the gruesome details behind how they got the venue, he just can't resist going into the gruesomeness, with a hint of glee, even as he knows he mustn't.

C'mon!  They were "meat pancakes"!  How can you not share that!

12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Amy getting a Die Hard cake.

With the groom hanging by a fire hose!

• Love 3
On 11/15/2017 at 10:49 PM, peeayebee said:

I did check out her IMDB page earlier, and I've seen her in many things. (Never saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall) Reading thru her credits, nothing jumped out at me as the One Big Role.

She played Jody's girlfriend on The Mindy Project. She visited Princeton with them.

On 11/16/2017 at 4:07 AM, peeayebee said:

Wow. Great memory. All Sgt Peanut Butter made me think of was Mr Peanut Butter from Bojack Horseman.

I love when Amy said it was going to be a gymnasium, Jake then said, "Squeak squeak!" like tennis shoes.

Such a great ep. All the plots worked. The cold open with Rosa throwing donut holes to Jake -- "Hole me!" -- was awesome.

Amy and Jake working in tandem on everything was so good. The NYT crossword puzzle-wrapped flowers and Die Hard cake were perfect. Loved every time either one of them said "toight" or "noice" or "nups" not because I'm a big fan of those kinds of words, but because of how normal the usage is betw these two lovebirds. 

Amy made some great disgusted and disturbed faces during the ep.

When the Vulture's phone first made that 'boing' sound, I thought that was just the douchey ringtone he'd chosen for his texts. I thought that was a nice little throwaway joke. I didn't expect anything more from it.

I didn't keep track of all the great jokes, but as usual the Vulture had a bunch of rapid-fire gross statements.

"Research burn!"

I noticed the name of the restaurant where Amy & Jake met with the Vulture and Jean was called Chez Colbert. A shoutout to Stephen? If so, why?

What does "Toit" and "Nups" Mean. I just dont get it.

On 16/11/2017 at 2:50 AM, laserlady said:

I loved the Harry Potter reference, where Amy compares herself to Hermione (which makes sense) and Jake compares himself to Snape (which totally doesn't).

Snape was played by Alan Rickman. Rickman of course also played Hans Gruber in Die Hard, so he would be the one Harry Potter character that would be memorable to Jake.

On 15/11/2017 at 11:08 AM, Rinaldo said:

One little detail bugs me the next day: Amy had her verbal agreement with the venue that she had until the end of the day (EOD!) to pay her deposit and secure it. So what kind of crappy supervisor/administrator/representative (what's the title?) chooses to ignore that and give it away to someone else before the deadline? I know The Vulture can be threatening and/or persuasive, but it still seems like a gross violation of civilized behavior. Or, as a never-married person, am I just being naive, and classy venues renege all the time?

The father of the bride was a billionaire. Not to much of a stretch to figure that he has some kind of pull in getting his daughter any venue she wants.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Snape was played by Alan Rickman. Rickman of course also played Hans Gruber in Die Hard, so he would be the one Harry Potter character that would be memorable to Jake.

And now it makes total sense. Thanks!

• Love 2

Thanks, Sonoma. I didn't read the profile. I guess I was too busy staring at Hitchcock's pic.

23 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Ohhhh. I didn't pick up on that. Thanks.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:18 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

OMG, that is soooo awesome!

• Love 1
On 11/15/2017 at 8:08 AM, Rinaldo said:

Dunno on the reneging, but what did surprise me is that Amy wouldn't made a beeline to hand over that check first thing, THEN gone to see cakes and flowers.  I'd never have put down deposits on vendors without a confirmation and deposit down on the venue! And Amy is a lot more uptight and organized than I am.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, snarktini said:

Dunno on the reneging, but what did surprise me is that Amy wouldn't made a beeline to hand over that check first thing, THEN gone to see cakes and flowers.  I'd never have put down deposits on vendors without a confirmation and deposit down on the venue! And Amy is a lot more uptight and organized than I am.

Definitely, since the venue is the most difficult item to book.  An appropriate and affordable venue on a specific date is not a given.  You can always find a caterer, florist and photographer, even if they're not your first choice, and they can travel to your venue. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
On 11/20/2017 at 0:01 PM, snarktini said:

And Amy is a lot more uptight and organized than I am.

My personal explanation for this is that she worked a route out on a map, so there was no waste of time or distance when seeing all the vendors. And being upright and truthful herself ("most appropriate" after all) she never dreamed that there was any urgency in getting to the venue first, as they had a verbal commitment and who would ever go back on their word?

• Love 7
On 11/15/2017 at 4:37 PM, peeayebee said:

She was on the 4th season of Arrested Development. She played Nick's college girlfriend on New Girl. Blind Girl on 30 Rock. Mindy Project, as what's his name's girlfriend. She's the "on set doctor" if you watch Comedy Bang Bang. I always think she is blind because I saw her on 30 Rock first. 

And I guess this is why you always book the venue and put down the deposit before preparing for any other wedding errands. The other stuff can be pulled together quickly; the venue is always tougher and the reason why people book months in advance. I did love the errands they did run, like the florist (Jake suggesting wrapping the flowers in something Amy loves), and then the cake (Amy creating a cake that Jake loves). It's small details like that which make the couple more likable. When they can compromise and add the little details about each other into the wedding, to show that they pay attention and care.

Jean Munhroe (odd spelling, by the way) was a fun character. I laughed at the piling on off good deeds she does when Jake/Amy went to confront her. I agree that her interest in The Vulture was questionable. Speaking of, The Vulture is always a fun character. He's such a douche, but he never fails to entertain me. 

Oh, the return of Peanut Butter. That's such a neat character to bring back, especially since the horse last appeared in season 1 for only one scene. I like when showrunners actually pay attention to their own show. 

• Love 2

As with any wedding on TV, this made little sense, as nobody (certainly not somebody as up tight detail oriented as Amy) would be buying a cake without locking down the venue first (I know she had a verbal agreement, but as Henry Ford once said, A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on). I guess The Vulture overbid at the venue to steal it from them? I also didn't understand why Jake & Amy didn't excuse themselves from the meeting with the Vulture ("People are always criming!") and, if their consciences are bothering them, let her know later when they've definitely got the venue (not that that's the important thing, it's about making sure she's fully informed, of course).