Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Ko No Mono

Interesting that the wheelchair on fire is in the promo; I've never read the books but even I know that scene (wasn't it in one of the films). Kind of gives a fair amount away.  Oh well; network suits have never been one to do logical scenes from the next promos.

• Love 1
(edited)

So Hannibal really didn't notice the dead body wasn't Freddie?

i think not, and he ought to have -- as many things as the art/sfx folks do spectacularly on this show, the broad-shouldered burning man meant to be teeny tiny Freddie failed. Edited by lulee

Disappointed that the "dead Freddie" plot happened exactly as I predicted. Hannibal is so surprisingly dumb to fall for this kind of cheap trick. Guess it's another "Hannibal is so obsessed with Will he can't see it" reasoning, just like Alana was, oh wait, even Alana can outsmart Hannibal now!

• Love 1
(edited)

I know we've all said it before, but... This. Show.

I knew Freddie wasn't dead, so that reveal didn't do much for me.  On the other hand, the Will/Alanna conversation at his house?  Fantastic.  The only way to get Alanna to accept the truth is to put her in Will's place.  It's both "You betrayed me" and "I love you" in the same moment.  

And again, this show.  "It takes 9 mm shells.  Buy a box. Find a range. Practice." as delivered by HD in that broken voice = "People care about you.  I used to love you.  I might still.  Stop being an idiot."

I don't want to talk about Margot and Mason.  If Mason actually had a hysterectomy performed on Margot (or even an abortion), I think Bryan Fuller has -- for me, at any rate -- broken his vow.   

BTW, was this the most explicitly we've heard Hannibal confess?  If Will were recording him, wouldn't he have evidence re: Abigail?

Edited by mrsdalgliesh
  • Love 6

So what was that meal at the beginning of the episode? A songbird?

was that the songbird whose lost habitat he tree'd the city councilman over?
  • Love 1

I'm trying to figure out the timing here.  Will and Margot had sex how long ago for her to know she was pregnant?  It had to at least be a couple of weeks, right?  By that same token, I can believe Hannibal wouldn't have known the long pig wasn't Freddie, if enough time had passed for it to have been frozen and thawed.  Time is so hard to judge on this show.

That said, I am still finding the Margot and her brother stuff extraneous.  I know it will lead somewhere more.  And I know it was already used to illustrate how Hannibal manipulates people, especially when Will spelled it out for Mason.  Hannibal set all 3 of them up, only Will is aware enough to know *and* to fool Hannibal.  I don't think Will knew Margot wanted to get pregnant, but once she once and then once Mason hurt her he knew what Hannibal had set up.  That's why he waited for Hannibal before going off to Mason.  So Hannibal would think he's newly created murderer was off to kill again.

I don't care if it was predictable and predicted, I am so happy that Freddie is alive.  There are only 2 episodes left for us to get to the opening scene of this season.   

• Love 4

Mrsdalgliesh, your description of Will and Alanna's interaction on the porch was perfect.

I expected Freddie to be alive, but the show managed to keep me in suspense, and I think it did very, very well.  The Will-digo was frightening.  I do not think it is at all stupid of Hannibal to be taken in by this.  Will has played his part as only someone so righteously furious could.  He has been consistent, cold, and lost enough to be genuinely confused by what he is becoming.  I think he is more confused and more lost than he would like to acknowledge.  And he got Hannibal to admit, for the first time, that he took Abigail away from Will.  I enjoyed Alanna's confrontation with Jack, and her realization that absolutely everyone in her life from Hannibal to Will to Jack has been playing her.  They have mostly been playing Hannibal, but left her outside too.

Did Alanna refer to Chilton in the present tense?

And let me give acting nods to all the FBI staff for playing the good doctor, because they have done it with aplomb.  Even Price and Zeller, who are still mourning Beverly, were inspired not to break the cover.

Will is winning, but the collateral damage continues to mount, with every victim dearer.  In his confrontation with Mason at the end, he became the old Will again for a moment, letting the mask slip as he prepares to offer Lecter to another killer even though he cannot kill himself.

And Mason deserves everything that's coming to him.  He is a sick, sick pig.  I was nervous when he was speaking to the boy (also Franklin? seems to be a victim name)  and terrified on Margot's behalf later.  Poor, poor Margot. 

Fuller has still managed to make this subplot horribly disturbing in spite of what he chose to omit from the book, and this outcome meshes more with the later events than I expected it to, with Margot unable to have a child of her own. Now, if Mason, or parts of him, get eaten, the stage is set.

I think this is a wonderful examination of just what it would mean to be accepted into the fold by Hannibal.  The ortolan bunting was a disquieting rite.

I think that somewhere along the line it is going to occur to Hannibal that he is being duped, and when it does, everyone should watch out.

• Love 5

Disappointed that the "dead Freddie" plot happened exactly as I predicted. Hannibal is so surprisingly dumb to fall for this kind of cheap trick. Guess it's another "Hannibal is so obsessed with Will he can't see it" reasoning, just like Alana was, oh wait, even Alana can outsmart Hannibal now!

I agree. I was disappointed in the fake-out. Anyhow, I have to admit I couldn't watch them eating those poor little birds. Eating people, no problem, leetle birds, no!

Please let Mason peel off his own face soon. That guy is so disgusting. One of my favorite parts in the movie "Hannibal" was when he got dumped into the man-eating boar pen. Poor Margot. She should have gotten a medal for trying to kill him.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've eaten balut (and liked it), so the birds probably shouldn't have bothered me, but it did. Ick.

I'm sick and had trouble staying focused, but I was still on the edge of my seat most of the episode. I really enjoyed it. That said, sometimes I think the show gets a little too... cliche? I don't know. When Will and Hannibal were seeing themselves in each other it just seemed so very film-school and on-the-nose.

Edited by 90PercentGravity
  • Love 2

This show has its issues, but for the life of me, I love it and I love that it has been renewed. I have a super-crush on Margot and what Mason did to her was more than enough to put me in the 'feed him to the pigs' camp. Mason really is the Joker to Hannibal's Ra's Agul. His death cannot come soon enough. 

To help with continuity issues and logic problems, I like to think that this show takes place in a void, where proper policing, baby gestation and other silly issues are non-existent. 

• Love 3

If next season (yay! we get a next season), Hannibal is on the lam, I hope we get to see more cat-and-mouse mind shenanigans like we have this season.  I feel better after tonight's episode. Will hasn't been lost to us (at least yet) and Jack and he have a plan in general on how to prey on a pretty tricky predator.

I hated the thought of little Franklin getting caught in Mason's sickness, so I surfed away for a minute or two. When I came back and Mason was yelling about not getting to see some animals in order to take the tears, I was afraid Mason was going to strangle the poor guy. Glad that didn't happen, but despite the kid's "disadvantaged" status, is there no one who would say that Franklin didn't have to see the weird man again if he told? I understand that Mason's supposedly been terrorizing whomever gets crosswise with him (real or imagined) for decades, but surely there have been enough weirded-out kids that have either stayed close to their teacher/guide after meeting Mr. Verger or stopped coming all together? It's one thing to pay of a doctor ( and by extention his surgical team) for a shady hysterectomy, but to shut down why kids in a charitable program are (possibly) having unusual reactions to seeing horses, pigs, and other livestock? (Mason and Mr. Pitt have brought me to such anger and protectiveness for little Franklin and Margo, so kudos. Now die, Mason.)

Alana bringing her dog for an unscheduled doggie play date? She is pretty lost. Alana was pretty confident last season. About everything, yet she didn't come off as too obnoxious about her smarts. This season?  She should thank her lucky stars she isn't the one to have to seem like a murderer, though. Someone close to her might mistake her for a real one and she'd dry up and blow away, which wasn't the Alana I was presented with as BasicAlana. I get that being out of the loop and her blind faith in her former mentor are factors in her current 'Why is Will killing people and mean to me?' reactions. I hope we get an Alana that is closer to season 1 than what we have had this one. I want to see Alana get some of what was taken from her back.  Let's see the thickness of Hannibal's skin.

• Love 1

To help with continuity issues and logic problems, I like to think that this show takes place in a void, where proper policing, baby gestation and other silly issues are non-existent.

"Reality-adjacent" in the words of Bryan Fuller. I like to think of it as dream logic. Or nightmare logic, more appropriately.

I shed actual tears when Margot was on that operating table. Trust Bryan Fuller to (thankfully) steer a vague circle around the implications of rape in the story, only to crash right into a violation even more horrifying. It's like, with the rape and pedophilia stuff being obscured, and the gut-wrenching conversation between Mason and that foster kid ending BEFORE it did in the book canon, it seems like Fuller is taking the over-the-top shock value horror of the novel "Hannibal" and paring it down to a slick network-suitable core. And then he shows you what real horror is without shedding a drop of blood. Damn, I love him.

This show is so smooth and obscure... even though I was mostly convinced that Freddie was alive (though I will admit to not being 100% sure), and then vindicated when she made her appearance and was rejoicing that Will was playing Hannibal and that he really wasn't the monster that he was pretending to be, that shot of Will marching into Mason's barn at the end STILL made me gasp with a sudden fear that another reversal was upon us and that it was going to be Will rather than Hannibal to cause Mason's disfigurement. I loved the way that played out. Nothing is certain, no one really knows anyone, and people are capable of anything. "Hannibal" is a world that will never stop turning.

Well, not for one more season, at least ;)

• Love 5

Alana is the weakest link, and Jack is gonna regret letting her in.

I held my breath while Mason was talking to Franklin!

Poor Margot. That shit was brutal.

I'm ready for the pigs to eat Mason.

• Love 2

It is soapy but I do like how the show connected Will with Margott & Mason.  I think Will went too far telling Mason about Hannibal.  Tipped his hand there.  Alana has a brain!  Wohoo!  

That was a bad first burned body.  The second one that Hannibal posed looked more female.  I can believe he CAN be fooled.  Two guys there that he doesn't think are bright lied to him.  Successfully lied to him.  Hubris.

I wish Will  & Margot had more scenes.  I love them together.  I also love that Will just knew he would be a good father.  No hesitation.  

• Love 1
They have mostly been playing Hannibal, but left her outside too.

And she deserved it.  She's been pretty clueless.

Will is winning, but the collateral damage continues to mount, with every victim dearer.

His disturbed sleep just before Alanna arrived shows it.  When the scene opened, I got nervous, since that kind of sleep was part of Will's illness/manipulation by Lector.  And it's just that kind of ambiguity that makes the show so fascinating.

I shed actual tears when Margot was on that operating table. Trust Bryan Fuller to (thankfully) steer a vague circle around the implications of rape in the story, only to crash right into a violation even more horrifying.

Looking at what those who have read the books/seen the later movies have written, I guess I can see why they "had" to have this done to Margot -- and I can also see how it brings the audience into a rage towards Mason that would maybe forgive Will if he threw Mason into the green screen pig buffet...but still..  That's just a horrible violation.  

• Love 2

Congratulations, show. Last week, I thought I couldn't dislike Mason any more but you managed to push me past my previous disgust and hatred of him to a new level. Despite the fact that Hannibal manipulated Margot, Mason, and Will into this situation, I still wouldn't mind if WIll killed the crap out of Mason. He was so cruel and horrifying with that lttle boy.

I was thinking about the difference between the three of them being manipulated by Hannibal. To me, Mason is the worst of the three because he enjoys making his sister suffer so much that I have no problem imagining him finding a reason to sterilize her under different circumstances. Similarly, while I don't think that sleeping with a guy you barely know with the intent of getting pregnant is the most ethical thing to do, it's not uncommon so I don't think that Margot was manipulated much beyond the scope of her existing personality. But poor Will is the one who has been twisted the most by Hannibal. Yes, he killed Abigail's father but I don't think that makes him a killer (I know, I know, a killer is someone who kills but it was self defense). Hannibal has manipulated Will far beyond what he would have normally done on his own so I think he is the saddest victim of Hannibal's actions.

I love that Will and Hannibal talked about Abigail and how Hannibal took her away from Will. I think that Hannibal almost never regrets killing his victims because he tends to choose people who he thinks deserve to die per his morals and ideals. For that reason, he doesn't feel guilty about killing them and he doesn't feel bad for their families. That's why I'm glad Will made it clear how much it hurt and upset him that Hannibal killed Abigail. I still don't think that Hannibal regrets killing her per se, but I like that he was forced to see how it affected Will.

I love that the dogs have no agenda and that as soon as Will opened the door and saw Alanna's dog, their reaction was "Yipee! Doggie play date! Let's go run around while these dummies talk about their feelings!"

I remember reading about ortolan bunting in one of Anthony Bourdain's books but seeing it (even in a fictitious setting) was much more unsettling. Those tiny little birds drowning and then being eaten! For the record, I'm a meat eater so I know I probably have very little ethical ground to stand on here, but still. Heh, and part of me was grossed out by watching them eat the birds whole because all I could think about was how hard the beaks and feet must be in their mouths.

The very long shot of Will and Hannibal eating the birds reminded me of a scene from the first episode of My So-Called Life. Angela says, "I mean, if you stop to think about, like, chewing -- what it really is? -- how people just do it, like, in public." I don't have a problem with chewing but I can't imagine being told that someone was going to film me eating a tiny bird in slow motion.

I can't wait to see what Alanna's reaction is to realizing that everyone has been lying to her. I hope she doesn't go off the rails and totally freak out

• Love 5
(edited)

I think this is a wonderful examination of just what it would mean to be accepted into the fold by Hannibal. The ortolan bunting was a disquieting rite.

I think that somewhere along the line it is going to occur to Hannibal that he is being duped, and when it does, everyone should watch out.

All I could think about during the bird scene was this:

And also eating the "crunchy chicks " to become evil in Fable lol. So that scene didn't have the impact for me it could have.

I'm still not convinced that Hannibal is actually being fooled as opposed to playing along. We shall see. I hope Alanna isn't the one that blows the whole thing, but I fear she will be.

Maybe it's because I haven't read the books, but I'm still not feeling the Verger's storyline at all. The brother continues to be far too cartoony....I mean seriously....the tears thing? And even though I like Margot, I felt nothing for the whole lady parts scene. I actually was far more concerned about "Kitty" than anything else Verger related. I guess I'm supposed to feel bad for her, but losing the baby & baby making facilities when she only seemed interested so she can get her hands on the family fortune after offing her brother doesn't seem that sympathetic. I get it, he's a bad guy, but things would go much easier on that front if she'd get a job and forget the money. I'll be happy to have them off my screen, or at least the brother's role in the story.

I expected Freddie to be alive, but it was still nice to get the confirmation.

Will is a cold fish trying to set pig boy onto Hannibal, but obviously that isn't going to work, so kinda suspense less. Overall, not one of my more favorite episodes, but hopefully things will pick up next week.

What's the over/under on Alanna surviving the season?

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 2

I'm still not convinced that Hannibal is actually being fooled as opposed to playing along. We shall see. I hope Alanna isn't the one that blows the whole thing, but I fear she will be.

It is possible that Hannibal is playing along, but there are a few things that make me think he believes what Will is presenting.  First among them was opening up to Will about Misha.  In all their previous discussions of Abigail she was never mentioned, but now that Will appears to have crossed the threshhold into Hannibal's world he is allowed to know.  I think he talked about his sister to explain to Will why he would not lightly kill Abigail. 

The harsh reference to Will seeing part of Abigail again, and thus his wish having been partially granted, is an echo Misha's death and Hannibal's feelings too.

Hannibal agreed to lies of omission when Will returned to therapy, but this time he admitted that he was in some way responsible for Abigail's absense.  When Will said he dreamed of teaching Abigail to fish, Hannibal apologized for taking that away from him.  Also, Hannibal still wants the companionship that Will has the potential to offer, and that dampens his willingness to be skeptical of Will.

"Reality-adjacent" in the words of Bryan Fuller. I like to think of it as dream logic. Or nightmare logic, more appropriately.

^This.  Magical realism.

I'm not sure that Hannibal is completely taken in by Will and Jack's baiting, but he's not ready to jump ship yet. I was thinking that he displayed FakeFreddie's remains to show Will that he knew it wasn't her. Kind of a "look at what a mess you made and I see you" thing. I don't know, with this show I'm never 100 percent sure of anything--especially my own sanity.

So my axiom about not believing they are dead until we see the body displayed still holds true here, and sounds like it might hold true for next week as well. It's nice to know I there is something on this show I can be certain about...um...mostly?

It's interesting to me how appetizing the food was last season and how it has mostly not been so much so this season. I'm sure it's a deliberate choice, but man does it have me cringing mostly this season. The crunching of the bones of those wee little birds was just so...disturbing. I hope that Will goes on a complete purge when this is over! Better yet, I hope he goes home and pukes it all back up...I think bulimia might be preferable to some of the things he's forced himself to eat lately.

"Reality-adjacent" in the words of Bryan Fuller.

Ooh, I like that. I've not really had an issue with caring about how all Hannibal's hijinks get done, but this could be a helpful tool if I do.

The red scrubs! Argh! I still have nightmares over Dead Ringers, Mr. Fuller. That scene was horrific enough in its import --you didn't have to make the scrubs red!!!!!

[shudder]

All that said, I'm glad Freddie's still in possession of her corkscrew red curls, and I'm glad Jack's in on the whole shebang. In fact the last scene revved up the pace for the ep, which for all its ick-factor, was seriously languid.

I too remembered the bird-eating from Bourdain. Didn't he do the cloth-over-the-face thing that Hannibal eschewed?  I am curious, however, what the foodies on set used to play the birds. They almost looked like puff pastry!

• Love 1

I'm so "I knew it" right now... And I'm glad I wasn't wrong about Freddie because I don't want Will to become a murderer, that would have been too sad. 

There are a lot of ways of shooting a scene where two men are eating ortolans. If your chosen way are close shots where they slowly open their mouths and engulf the birds while looking at each other... well, yes, my mind goes there.

Mason deserves pain, lots of pain. Poor Margot. 

• Love 3
That's why I'm glad Will made it clear how much it hurt and upset him that Hannibal killed Abigail. I still don't think that Hannibal regrets killing her per se, but I like that he was forced to see how it affected Will.

Abigail actually had a closer relationship with Hannibal than Will (which actually played a role in Will's failure to see her darker side). And I think Hannibal does have genuine regret, which is why he actually apologizes to her.

• Love 4
And I think Hannibal does have genuine regret, which is why he actually apologizes to her.

IIRC, he didn't want to kill her. He had to, because she'd figured out what he was, but he actually did care about her as much as he is capable of caring for another human.

• Love 3

The red scrubs! Argh! I still have nightmares over Dead Ringers, Mr. Fuller. That scene was horrific enough in its import --you didn't have to make the scrubs red!!!!!

[shudder]

All that said, I'm glad Freddie's still in possession of her corkscrew red curls, and I'm glad Jack's in on the whole shebang. In fact the last scene revved up the pace for the ep, which for all its ick-factor, was seriously languid.

I too remembered the bird-eating from Bourdain. Didn't he do the cloth-over-the-face thing that Hannibal eschewed?  I am curious, however, what the foodies on set used to play the birds. They almost looked like puff pastry!

Fuller said the "birds" were made out of marzipan and hazelnuts, so they must have been quite tasty.

• Love 4
(edited)

Wow, the sculpting was very well done, with the 'beak' and 'bones'.  That's a lot of marzipan, especially if they did multiple takes.  I would have expected marzipan to burn if flambed.  Maybe they used something else for that part.

Edited by MisterGlass

I like that Alana might be a weak link.  That seems like a risk Jack would have to make eventually.  And it might explain why Hannibal became intimate with her.  She is his informant unwittingly.  I like how she answered his gun question.  Candid but not specific.  

I really need to see the scene when Will explains everything to Freddie.  Freddie is annoying but she asks uncomfortable questions.  And now Hannibal has more reason to dislike her.  Freddie actually has survived a lot of violence.  I'd give her good odds against Mason.  She is Lois Lane with dumb luck saving her.  And a bottle of mace.  I wish she had a taser like Veronica Mars.  

I like the visual callback to Abigail in the Margot/Hannibal/Will hospital scene.  And Will' s active anger.  No more brooding.  He acts.  

Kudos to Dancy for looking a sweaty mess in his scene with Alana.  No vanity in him. 

• Love 2

One last idea.  Hannibal manipulates but he is "bad".  What about what Jack is doing to Alana? He must believe Hannibal is dangerous if only in how he influences people.  But he saw how Hannibal killed the cello teacher last year.  Hannibal broke his arm.  Bella' s anger.  Dr DuMaurier' s coded warnings.  But he leaves Alana in "play", with no warning.  Will tries but he seems jealous & paranoid (payoff for their weird kiss last season).  

So is Jack such a good guy?  Is is arguably the sanest one in the room besides Freddie.

• Love 1

I don't think that Jack is going to leave Alana in play--just a guess on my part--I imagine that they won't allow her to go back to Hannibal. He's way to intuitive and that would just put Alana at risk. I imagine that she can be helpful to the team, but still be on lockdown somehow...maybe her and Freddie can become roommates and talk about how they were so wrong about things. ;)

• Love 1

She could go away to a conference.  But I meant in play this whole season.  Or after Jack started believing Will.  Jack let Alana get in deeper.  She was useful & he used it.   And Freddie is alive due to dumb luck of not going home and going to Will' s.

• Love 4

Ahh, I see what you mean, but I'm not sure there was anything Jack or Will could do about it. Actually, Will tried and she didn't listen. And I don't think Jack was full on the Hannibal's-a-serial-killer wagon until after she started sleeping with him. And even then she was really annoyed he was questioning Hannibal. Short of locking her up to protect her, I'm not sure what could have been done to stop her from getting in deeper.

And, I still don't find Alana annoying or foolish. When stacked up like this it sounds like I should, but I still see her as being unfortunate that she hasn't been able to see through his person suit yet.

• Love 3

Food stylist Janice Poon has her Episode 11 blog post up! 

There must be something that tastes neutral but can be sculpted to look like a little roast bird. I experiment: carved potatoes have promise but fall apart after cooking…gefilte fish has the wrong texture…gnocchi shows promise until the revised script comes in saying that Hannibal “lifts the bird by the head and puts the body in his mouth…then draws the head and beak into his mouth blithely crushing them between his molars.” None of the things I have been working with are solid enough for that. The slightest pressure would cause the head to crack off and roll across the table.

So with the deadline nearing, I decide that marzipan is my best alternative. Mads and Hugh will just have to act like they are enjoying it. I carve a little wooden cradle for forming the birds – so they won’t have flat backs – and cut up a square of fiberglass mesh from a window screen to press against the marzipan to make the skin texture. Pine nuts for eyes and spaghetti for the little legs. I make them hollow so they will be a little easier to eat.

I love that she does these entries. And she always includes lots of photos!

• Love 7

Alana referred to Chilton in the past tense.

I heard present tense, followed immediately by Jack saying the evidence "was overwhelming".  But of course, whether Chilton is dead or alive, the evidence for his arrest would be past tense anyways.  But I firmly believe that so long as Raul Esparza doesn't take a job that precludes him appearing on this show, Chilton ain't fully dead.

"Reality-adjacent" in the words of Bryan Fuller.

Or as he says in this week's AV Club Walkthrough, "we're tethered to reality, but it's a pretty long tether."

It's funny, I'd read the whole ortolan thing from Bourdain already but it never really clicked for me that the entire bird, including the contents of its guts, is eaten.  Eesh.  I'd rather have regular poultry prepared in regular ways.  And the hood part of the ceremony, sheeesh.  I'm actually half surprised Hannibal didn't do it.  He may feel no shame about anything he does, but on the other hand, the ridiculous theatricality of the hood seems right up his alley.

• Love 1

I heard present tense, followed immediately by Jack saying the evidence "was overwhelming".

Alana used a contraction that is technically unclear; "Chilton's the Ripper".  Technically it would work for both was and is (I think that contraction for was is less common usage but that could just be a regional thing). 

This is the most pedantic I've felt since the last time I got sucked into a wikipedia edit war.

• Love 4

I enjoyed Alanna's confrontation with Jack, and her realization that absolutely everyone in her life from Hannibal to Will to Jack has been playing her.  They have mostly been playing Hannibal, but left her outside too.

Unfortunately, Alana is in the position she is in because of Alana. She ping-pinged between batting her eyes over Will to batting her eyes and then becoming dickmatized by Hannibal. Everyone pretty near has tried to speak to her, but the dickmatization was too deep. I mean Freddie called it when she said Alana's illogical behavior had to partially be sex induced. I think like others that she is now the weakest link and that Jack's compassion towards her and her upset is going to come back and bite him (perhaps literally).

Will is winning, but the collateral damage continues to mount, with every victim dearer. 

That's the risk he took when he opted to play this game rather than simply taking Hannibal out when he had the chance, but the thrill of stroking his ego by outsmarting Hannibal mattered more than the greater good. I actually like this development because if my recollection of the books are correct, Will did have this level of a relationship with Hannibal. The connection fostered in the show makes book Will's decision to walk away more logical following the Hannibal capture (assuming Fuller sticks with this trope. He might choose not to because they don't own the rights to the Clarice character).

I think that somewhere along the line it is going to occur to Hannibal that he is being duped, and when it does, everyone should watch out

This is where I think the Jack scene that we saw during episode one of this season comes from, which also makes me think Alana will somehow blow this for them.

That's the risk he took when he opted to play this game rather than simply taking Hannibal out when he had the chance, but the thrill of stroking his ego by outsmarting Hannibal mattered more than the greater good. I actually like this development because if my recollection of the books are correct, Will did have this level of a relationship with Hannibal.

I disagree with the idea that Will is doing this out of ego.  This is about avenging Abigail and the other victims, himself included, and killing Hannibal does not accomplish that; it only makes Will a murderer, and Hannibal, of all things, a victim.  Imprisonment is a far harsher punishment for Hannibal, because it denies him the freedom to be his cultured, epicurean self. 

I do not recall Will and Hannibal having this deep of a relationship in the books due to differences in timing.

And, I still don't find Alana annoying or foolish. When stacked up like this it sounds like I should, but I still see her as being unfortunate that she hasn't been able to see through his person suit yet.

I agree.  It cannot be easy to see past at least a decade's worth of friendship and respect, especially when the people advocating her friend's guilt include Freddie Lounds, a terribly obnoxious person who was the first one insisting Will was a pscyhopath and deserved to be in prison.  She has a libelous history, and Will, Hannibal's other accuser, had a neurological illness when he began suspecting him.

Up to this point, I think Alana's belief in Hannibal's innocence has kept her safe, in conjunction with the fact that he does not like to kill people who have too close an association with him unless he has a scapegoat in mind.

As always, the food blog has great pictures.  I do love the giant peep idea though!

• Love 3

I just loved that we got Hannibal confessing that he had Mischa.  And the attendant conversation about how Hannibal took Abigail away from Will. And what a sickfuck Mason is.  Aborting the baby and...was that a hysterectomy, also?  In Dead Ringers red gynecology dressing gowns?  Nice visual shout out to Cronenberg, by the way.

Alana is...bothering me, for lack of a better word.  She was written so well initially and now, not so much.  Then again, she's getting psychically driven (or otherwise) by Hannibal too, so I'll give her a pass.

I can't wait to see how the last two episodes turn out, and cheers to the crew and cast for getting renewed.  This is the only show I consider a must since Breaking Bad went off the air.