Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E04: Ain't That a Kick in the Head

Bort
  • Start Topic

Jackson and Meredith's conversation about taking his name off of her surgery because she can't win a Harper Avery with his name on it is a glaring continuity error seeing as the reason why Cristina didn't win in season 10 was because Catherine said she works at a Harper Avery Foundation hospital and that none of them can ever win one while working at Grey Sloan Memorial. 

But anything for "the sun", I guess. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, flickers said:

I shipped April and Jackson but I've kind of forgotten what I liked about them together. They seem to have moved on from each other. 

Which the writers are probably going for considering they haven’t had any scenes together since the premiere and before thst the finale. Where Jackson barked at her and april moved out. 

writers are definitely sending a message about what they are aiming for this season. For this japril shipper, it hurts.

• Love 6

I dono I see them trying Jaggie and committing to it but I don't think it'll last past this season. The chemistry just isn't there. Plus Maggie is that type of character that it'll be funny for a few episodes but then he'll just spend every episode apologising to her for everything.

i also think they sucked everything good out of Japril in the last two years. The arguments (every episode) became redundant and exhausting. They need a season apart to become good characters again - April especially.

• Love 6

MVP of tonight: Jesse Williams.  He had at least three little, almost throwaway moments that made me LOL (fixing Alex's collar was genius).  Amelia's answer to the president question also made me LOL.  Did not love Alex joking about almost killing DeLuca, but I guess they're going to keep treating it like a joke, so...blech.  Overall, though, I'm loving the lighter touch this season.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I dono I see them trying Jaggie and committing to it but I don't think it'll last past this season. The chemistry just isn't there. Plus Maggie is that type of character that it'll be funny for a few episodes but then he'll just spend every episode apologising to her for everything.

i also think they sucked everything good out of Japril in the last two years. The arguments (every episode) became redundant and exhausting. They need a season apart to become good characters again - April especially.

I’m down for anyone’s positivity, lol

im loving this season except jaggie

im intrigued by what aprils journey will be like. She’s being shown as having a hard time dealing with her “new normal” and is definitely going through a process.

jackson has a crush. That much is obvious. But guess what, he has a type, you can’t tell me all the shiz out of Maggie’s mouth isn’t something you’ve heard out of aprils. 

• Love 3

Given what is going on in terms of medical care and repeals but not replacement, I can see why a doctor like Amelia would say she wished she didn't know who the president was.  The AMA has officially come out against all the replacement bills and the New England Journal of Medicine has published a number of editorials about how dangerous they could be.

Speaking of medical journals, I wish this show would stop treating medical journals like they are People magazine. I have never seen a photograph of a author of any article in any journal.  No one cares.

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

No, they're not related but Catherine feels like they are, and Richard (and others) might, too.  

Catherine scolded Richard that they had agreed that the dinner was to be "family only" so what was Maggie doing there.  I'd say Catherine feels no connection to Maggie other than someone Richard is in some way affiliated with.

• Love 12

Maggie reminds me of Lexie Moreso then April. Just not as likeable or funny as Lexie was which is harsh but I never felt they were trying to throw Lexie into the forefront as much as they have Maggie. Lexie was always treated as the outsider who earned her relationships whereas Maggie just arrived and was suddenly everyone's best friend.

• Love 12
Just now, Chas411 said:

Maggie reminds me of Lexie Moreso then April. Just not as likeable or funny as Lexie was which is harsh but I never felt they were trying to throw Lexie into the forefront as much as they have Maggie. Lexie was always treated as the outsider who earned her relationships whereas Maggie just arrived and was suddenly everyone's best friend.

It’s weird, they want Maggie to be so beloved and an underdog at the same time. Maggie has pretty much become this special person to so many...Meredith, Amelia, Alex, Jackson...in a short amount of time. But every so often she talks about her childhood where she was ostracized. Like this episode. 

Jackson and Maggie have gone through nothing together. She rambles on, in a very april like manner, about jacksons inheritance and Jackson is so enamoured with her, “I appreciate you”...he’s never said that to april and despite her misgivings she’s been there for him a lot, especially when he’s been a grade A dick to her. 

15 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

MVP of tonight: Jesse Williams.  He had at least three little, almost throwaway moments that made me LOL (fixing Alex's collar was genius).  Amelia's answer to the president question also made me LOL.  Did not love Alex joking about almost killing DeLuca, but I guess they're going to keep treating it like a joke, so...blech.  Overall, though, I'm loving the lighter touch this season.

I concur about Jesse Williams. He conveyed how heavy the burden is of being an Avery is when talking to Meredith very well. I felt so bad for him that he had to take his name off thst paper, but is Krista forgetting that cristina was robbed cause she worked at an Harper Avery hospital? 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I agree. I like Japril, but I’m all for giving them some time apart right now, especially since I assume they’ll put them back together at some point because they’re the only really big Grey’s couple left. Jaggie lacks chemistry but the awkwardness of it all could be good for some laughs. And I’m really down for solo journey for April.

• Love 5

Jackson def has a type because I see similarities between Maggie/Lexie and Maggie/April.  Idk it's early and I guess I'm willing to try it out because I've been ready for something new for Jackson (I've been over Japril for awhile and was never a big fan); and I actually think Maggie and Jackson could be good together; they certainly make sense on paper.  I will say that Shonda has made me fall for couples I never thought I would. I haven't cared about either of these characters well..ever..really...and now I'm finding them to be at least funny and pleasant.  As for chemistry, I think the actors have chem.  It is best when they dial down the awkward. Jesse and Kelly are both too grown for it. IMO

• Love 3

I 'd watch any combo of Miranda, Richard and Catherine engaging in weekly shenanigans. The three of them are comedy gold.

Ellen Pompeo has really grown into the anchor of the show.

Maggie remains fun but Jackson seriously bugs.

April is useless.

Ben is also useless. Pretty, but useless.

Do not care about Riggs & Megan.

Do not care about Owen & Amelia.

Do not care about Alex & Jo

Do not care about Arizona & Carina.

Greg Germann should be a recurring character.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, dirtypop90 said:

Jackson def has a type because I see similarities between Maggie/Lexie and Maggie/April.  Idk it's early and I guess I'm willing to try it out because I've been ready for something new for Jackson (I've been over Japril for awhile and was never a big fan); and I actually think Maggie and Jackson could be good together; they certainly make sense on paper.  I will say that Shonda has made me fall for couples I never thought I would. I haven't cared about either of these characters well..ever..really...and now I'm finding them to be at least funny and pleasant.  As for chemistry, I think the actors have chem.  It is best when they dial down the awkward. Jesse and Kelly are both too grown for it. IMO

The thing with "Jaggie" is that it should be awkward and has so far been written as such.  If the producers sincerely want to commit to it, it's up to the actors to make it work.  We'll see if they can.

They are doing such a great job this season of moving plots along at a decent pace.  Compared to last season, it seems way too fast.  They've basically done more in four episodes than all last season. 

I was beginning to wonder when a year will have passed since Arizona set up that stupid custody arrangement with Callie.  I figured since Jo still hasn't taken her boards that it's still less than a year since Callie left, but I'm not sure these people pay attention to such things.  It's at least good to know that they didn't completely forget about Sofia.

It seemed rather obvious to me that Riggs made that grand gesture for Meredith rather than Megan and that he might be the only one who doesn't know it.

I'm liking all these location shots of Seattle they did.  I don't know why Meredith would go to Gasworks Park when she lives on Queen Anne Hill, and works even farther away, but I can choose to believe that Ben lives nearby.

Edited by Starscream
  • Love 3

Really loving having Krista running things, and enjoying the season so far. Really like Megan with both Meredith and Owen, and would be fine with her staying. (I tend to like Owen fine in most non-romantic plotlines.) I can’t much bring myself to root for anyone in the situation with Riggs, but love how everyone is comporting themselves.

5 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

And a Trump dig, when Amelia said she wish she didn’t know who the president is....Enough is enough.  Regardless who you support....Hollywood needs to move on.  It’s unoriginal and people are sick of it.  

But the thing is that “who’s the president” is a DEFAULT, top-three neurological/orientation question - heard it every half hour during one of my mom’s episodes, and several times a day while my dad was in the hospital after a stroke. And television shows would want to avoid using the actual president’s name, because of how much it dates the show in reruns/netflix a decade from now. They moved past the dig quickly, so given both of those factors it just didn’t bother me. I don’t think this show would have gone that way with Obama in office at the time of first airing, but I think that particular quick politician diss would have just as easily been done during phases of Clinton’s presidency and much of Bush’s. (I’m excluding maybe the year or so after 9/11, when I think it would have been much less likely.) Some current little kid watching this in reruns or online in a decade - which *will* happen - isn’t going to immediately know who the current real-life president was when the ep aired, and the crack is so general-anti-politician and quick that it isn’t going to send anyone googling for the old meta joke.

4 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Jackson and Meredith's conversation about taking his name off of her surgery because she can't win a Harper Avery with his name on it is a glaring continuity error seeing as the reason why Cristina didn't win in season 10 was because Catherine said she works at a Harper Avery Foundation hospital and that none of them can ever win one while working at Grey Sloan Memorial. 

But anything for "the sun", I guess. 

Yeah, clearly she can’t win, but she (and anyone but Jackson) can get the career recognition and boost from being a nominee. Frankly, given Jackson’s early plotline removing himself from Webber’s diabetes trial, so it wouldn’t torpedo his chances down the line, I was wondering all along during Cristina’s nomination why anyone thought she *could* win, since the foundation owned most of the hospital by that time. It bugged me that Jackson/Webber/Owen never even mused about it, given they all knew about Jackson’s reasons for recusing himself years prior.

• Love 4

On a shallow note,  I personally don’t think Maggie is attractive at all, and Jackson is, so speaking by a physical stand point,  I just can’t find any reason he would be into her.  With April and Stephanie it was more realistic.   

• Love 5

I thought Greg Germann was a little too over the top on Once Upon a Time, but I love him as Tom. He has just the right amount of cockiness for a brilliant surgeon, but he still has a sense of humor. I also love his practicality - twice now he has told Amelia to shut up so they can get an MRI (something that no one else at Grey Sloan ever does), but he was also very straightforward and kind when talking Amelia down from her panic. I never thought he would find a role as great as Richard Fish, but Tom can stay! Bonus that Richard, who is usually so mature and confident, is so obviously rattled by his presence. I'm not a fan of jealous/possessive spouses, but it's cracking me up how Catherine and Tom clearly have a history and an easy relationship while Richard looks on awkwardly.

Re: Jackson and Maggie as incestuous stepsiblings or whatever - it doesn't bother me because they didn't grow up together. They met as adults so they don't think of each other as siblings. And even though I have no desire to see them as a couple, it does happen in real life. I know of more than one family where the parents divorced and married new spouses and then two of the adult kids/stepsiblings ended up getting married. One of those stepsibling marriages just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

I'm really curious about how April was okay with being given the responsibility of pulling the plug on Amelia but she wasn't okay with having a medical procedure when she knew their first baby was only going to live a very short and painful life.

4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Given what is going on in terms of medical care and repeals but not replacement, I can see why a doctor like Amelia would say she wished she didn't know who the president was.  The AMA has officially come out against all the replacement bills and the New England Journal of Medicine has published a number of editorials about how dangerous they could be.

Speaking of medical journals, I wish this show would stop treating medical journals like they are People magazine. I have never seen a photograph of a author of any article in any journal.  No one cares.

Catherine scolded Richard that they had agreed that the dinner was to be "family only" so what was Maggie doing there.  I'd say Catherine feels no connection to Maggie other than someone Richard is in some way affiliated with.

Yes to all of this! Most of the doctors I know have spoken out about the recent medical care issues so Amelia's response made sense to me, regardless of what her political affiliation may be.

And I have NEVER seen a scientific or medical journal that published photos of the authors. Give me a fucking break. I was shaking my head over that ridiculous moment.

I agree that Catherine doesn't see Maggie (or Meredith) as family, but more than that she said to her husband and son, "Let's have family supper tonight" which seems perfectly reasonable after going to Harper's funeral. Despite their complicated and combative relationships with him, I'm sure it was still emotionally exhausting to deal with his death and funeral, so wanting to have dinner with just Jackson and Richard that night seems totally normal. If Richard had invited anyone else, I think she would have reacted the same way, even if her ulterior motive hadn't been to talk to Jackson about his inheritance. On top of that, Richard didn't even call or text her to let her know ahead of time which was inconsiderate. What if Catherine hadn't made enough food? Or what if she just wanted to lie on the sofa and cry instead of playing hostess to a woman she barely knows?

• Love 7
7 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

You mean I was reading this part of New York laws wrong?

Persons known to be related to him or her, whether through marriage or not

Lol, it doesn't matter, the writers have made it know since last season that the viewers were going to be loving Jackson and Maggie, especially Maggie..... They are their new Merder, Slexie. Except Jaggie has no chemistry and portrays by two terrible actors.

I'm all for Jaggie for the the simple fact that it keep April away from that jackass

Regarding Maggie and Richard - I don't think he is stated as her father in any papers/documents/etc. Hell, they didn't even do blood tests to prove he is her father. So I don't think any law could apply, or?

Regarding Mer/Rigss/Megan - I hate Meredith and Megan talking about who should Riggs choose, as if it isn't his decision. Like he is some kind who can't decide for himself so one of them has to "sacrifice" herself so the other one gets him. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Callie and Penny must have broken up already if Sofia wants to come home - though I'm surprised they lasted this long.

Are they setting up something between Amelia and DeLuca?

Thanks to the dialogue of the awkward conversation at Webber and Catherine's, we know that Maggie knows quite well that her biological father is married to Jackson's mom. So someone please explain to me why she wants to date him!

I didn't feel that with Amelia and DeLuca. I got a Derek vibe from their scene at the end. He was saying the same things that Derek would have told her, and the hugging scenes where his face wasn't shown, but we saw the back of his head.

I like how fast paced things are. The tumor was diagnosed and everyone found out about it quickly and the surgery was over in the first 15 minutes. It was a good ensemble episode where everyone had something going on. 

• Love 6

Re: using the President's name-did they ever name the President when Derek was working with Washington and the President personally called him? I don't recall them doing so and that would support the poster up thread about dating the show in repeats and Netflix viewing. With the timeline of Grey's not always in sync with ours, Amelia could have been referring the the former President! 

• Love 1

During the scene where Meredith was sleeping in Amelia's room, all I could think of is who is taking care of Meredith's children. I think I worry about her children more than Meredith does!

I knew that Riggs had disappeared to go rescue Meagan's son. I kept yelling at Meredith to answer the phone.

And why was Meredith explaining the techniques of brain surgery to the other very competent surgeons around her? The residents maybe, but not to Alex and Maggie.

I did like this episode. It was a good blend of drama and humor. I shudder to think who the new interns are going to be.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I forgot about that.  But even so, Catherine could still feel that they're related, even though she feels no connection to Maggie. 

1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

Regarding Mer/Rigss/Megan - I hate Meredith and Megan talking about who should Riggs choose, as if it isn't his decision. Like he is some kind who can't decide for himself so one of them has to "sacrifice" herself so the other one gets him. 

I hate that, too.

• Love 2

What struck me about Amelia's president response was that it's not October 2017 on the show, is it? I know the Grey's timeline is rather wacky - I've never really paid attention to the many discussions about it, but after Derek died, and Mer went into seclusion and had her third child - wasn't that a leap forward in time? If so, it's hard to say what month and year it is in the Grey's universe, but to rebut myself, the current person in the White House is there for a few more years (assuming he's not removed?!?!?!?!?), so even if it's 2019 or early 2020 in the Grey universe, the person in office is likely the same as it is today. 

Anyway - I enjoyed much of this episode. Random thoughts:

- I liked Catherine's casual look at home...leggings, cute little sneakers - she looked like a "regular" person. 

- As Megan, Farouk, Owen, and Riggs were reveling in their good fortune, Mer quietly walked out of Megan's room and looked skyward for a brief moment, which to me was as if she was acknowledging Derek somehow (and I'm not a person of faith and don't believe in a heaven, but that's how it struck me).

- Riggs' little scruffy, salt-and-pepper beard looked really good, and I don't even like facial hair on most men.

- Jo's husband is SO going to make an appearance [not a spoiler, just what I think].

- I absolutely think April and Arizona are heading towards a relationship, and I'm all for it. I don't really care for Arizona much, but I like her with April.

- The various interviewees were such over-the-top caricatures that it wasn't comical at all; the only halfway normal candidate was the one who decided to become a doctor after having been wounded in service. Still, none of them seemed mentally capable of being physicians!

- I actually made an audible expression of amusement each time Maggie asked if there was more wine.

- As rapidly as both Amelia's tumor and Megan's reunion with her son were handled, I'm afraid that Amelia and Owen's marital status is going to draaaaaag out. Where is Teddy?? She's vanished.

Spoiler

- Ben - training for that firefighter's test - off you go! Enjoy your spinoff!

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 2

On a shallow note,  I personally don’t think Maggie is attractive at all, and Jackson is, so speaking by a physical stand point,  I just can’t find any reason he would be into her.  With April and Stephanie it was more realistic.   

And on a deeper note, forgetting looks,she is not an attractive person-shallow, self absorbed, humorless, lacking compassion, did I say self-absorbed.

Riggs may be in love with Meredith, but she clearly has not reached that level of "pick me" love for him. Do give kudos to Riggs for his plan to get his nephew future step son out but does that mean he is leaving the show...I'm ok with that, but just wondering where this all goes.

I absolutely think April and Arizona are heading towards a relationship, and I'm all for it. I don't really care for Arizona much, but I like her with April.

Why cant they just be friends? Arizona, for all her faults, is a compassionate person and she knew that April need some human contact and caring and that is what she gave.

Edited because it is Riggs' future step son, not nephew-thanks Biggie B-my bad

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 7

Do give kudos to Riggs for his plan to get his nephew out...

Farouk is Riggs' possible stepson - if he and Megan end up marrying.

Why cant they just be friends? Arizona, for all her faults, is a compassionate person and she knew that April need some human contact and caring and that is what she gave.

April and Arizona are indeed already friends and have supported each other various times. That's why, if it goes to a romantic level, I'd be OK with it. They are good together, whether it's as friends or possible lovers. Either way is good by me. 

• Love 2

Setting aside the Maggie/Jackson possible romance stuff... I did like the whole at home dinner thing.  Seeing Richard and Catherine at home so casual. Catherine cooking (that seemed like a lot of asparagus for three people).  Also the awkwardness of Richard and Maggie's relationship.  They both acknowledge his paternity, but they've been very tentative about forging it into a real relationship.  Maggie had never been to his home, which I found both realistic and a little sad.  My hope (oh please or please oh please) is that even as they toy with this possible pairing, that in the end it serves as only the mechanism to finally integrate Maggie into Richard's life as a real daughter and thus she does realize that she sees Jackson more as family than a romantic partner.

25 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

During the scene where Meredith was sleeping in Amelia's room, all I could think of is who is taking care of Meredith's children. I think I worry about her children more than Meredith does!

I see this coming up a lot.  I am in the minority, I guess, in that I really don't think about the minutiae of child care.  I just assume (in the back of my head because I am literally not even thinking about it) that her kids are being well taken care of and she manages their care like any other working person and we just don't see her with them during the time lapses on the show when obvious non-hospital stuff is occurring -- kinda like the time it takes everyday for people to do mundane stuff like eating, sleeping, shopping, dentist appointments, paying bills, shaving etc.  I am totally fine with glimpses of them once in awhile just to let us know they still exist.

• Love 11

I  was intrigued watching Amelia's recovery.  I started laughing when she was speaking French - basically because as my mother's Alzheimer's progressed, she stopped speaking English and only spoke in French (the language of her childhood).

• Love 8
12 hours ago, gator12 said:

Maggie and Jackson are related by marriage and in some countries that consider incest. 

Incest laws is not only applied to people with blood relation. 

Most people would consider it incest if they were raised as siblings, even though not blood relatives. But that's not the case here, so it's not incest at all.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I have the sense that if Ellen were to leave the show, then Maggie becomes the central character. Ellis's daughter's journey 2.0

53 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I see this coming up a lot.  I am in the minority, I guess, in that I really don't think about the minutiae of child care.  I just assume (in the back of my head because I am literally not even thinking about it) that her kids are being well taken care of and she manages their care like any other working person and we just don't see her with them during the time lapses on the show when obvious non-hospital stuff is occurring -- kinda like the time it takes everyday for people to do mundane stuff like eating, sleeping, shopping, dentist appointments, paying bills, shaving etc.  I am totally fine with glimpses of them once in awhile just to let us know they still exist.

And Meredith is financially secure -- she doesn't need to frantically call friends or family at the last minute for caregiving help.

• Love 3

I see this coming up a lot.  I am in the minority, I guess, in that I really don't think about the minutiae of child care.

Still, it would be so easy for Meredith to have a one-liner that dispenses with any question as to the kids. When Meredith was woken up in Amelia's room, having spent the night, she could've said, "Thanks for waking me, lemme just check in with my nanny before I go shower." I agree that it's understood that the three children are not ever left at home alone by themselves, and that we don't necessarily need to be assured of that, but...mentioning the nanny/caregiver once in a while is something that most of us would probably do ourselves. It might serve to make Mer even more relatable to viewers, as childcare is something so many of us have dealt or are dealing with. Mentioning it is a small detail, to be sure, but it's sometimes like a pebble in the shoe - annoying but easily resolved.

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 6

I enjoyed the episode, although I wouldn't have minded the Amelia thing to be divided into two episodes but only because there was too much Amelia(-related stuff) in this one for me.  The surgery also seemed over very quickly, almost thought that when we went to the black screen that they were discussing what to do while she was in surgery and was coming out of her anesthesia because they tried to keep it as light as possible due to her addiction issues. I really liked the part where Meredith was explaining the steps to the others though. I saw someone else comment about how the other characters should have known about it, but as far as I can recall, only Meredith, Lexie and Stephanie did a long stint in neuro and almost specialized in it. So, to me it made sense. Could have done without the Amelia voice-over through her recovery, although I suspect that's just because of my dislike for the character. I was kind of excited about the idea of her never regaining her voice and thus would either have to continue being a successful neurosurgeon who couldn't talk (no more whining!) or have to leave the profession because she couldn't talk/didn't recover well.

The part about Meredith's entry for the Harper Avery award seemed strange considering the Cristina thing, but maybe she thinks there's a better chance now that Harper Avery himself is dead? The request for photos was ridiculous though. Even if that was a thing for medical journals, I doubt they'd want glamour shots. Why couldn't Jo (and Mer) just submit a photograph of herself in scrubs, with a cap and mouth-thingy? Unlikely her husband would recognize her that way, especially if he's not even looking for her in the medical world. Don't care about Jo and her relationship with Alex. If she's so afraid of her husband, then maybe she should have just, oh I don't know, divorced him before going into hiding. Never liked the character, never will. Just badly written/conceived and acted.

I'm probably in the minority but I've grown to like Mer and Riggs together and I think the way they worked together to bring Megan's "son" to the US, just shows how well they fit together. He knew Meredith would play along and her reaction to seeing him with the boy and later everyone in Megan's room, told me her feelings for Riggs go beyond what she claims they are. But maybe I'm wrong/TPTB won't continue their possible romance.

Still hate Maggie. Didn't care for her story or her non-existent chemistry with Jackson. Thought it was extremely rude, inconsiderate and self-absorbed of her to gulp away the wine in quick succession and loudly ask for more several times from her (biological) father/stepmother when her (biological) father is a recovering alcoholic. But then that sort of fits with how I see her. It's all about Maggie. No wonder Avery is supposedly interested in her, April is all about herself as well. Begging/pleading with God to "not make me pull the plug" rather than for Amelia to come through the operation successfully? So selfish. It's all about how the outcome affects her, rather than her alleged friend's (or at least coworker she knows well) well-being. 

I think that was all.... still don't like Owen, don't care about his sister or his marriage. He, Amelia, Megan and Farouk can all go away, leave for Iraq or something to start a new life and help wounded civilians/military personnel or something. Oh and Bailey and her husband are boring too. Interns sucked. Why were they not legally allowed to ask about the dog? If that's because it's an emotional support dog, then maybe the interviewee should have told them its status beforehand, so they knew they couldn't ask more. How else are they supposed to know? Also, I don't know about Seattle/the US, but in my country specially trained dogs (like guiding dogs and emotional support dogs) have to be registered or they are simply considered regular pets and therefore wouldn't be allowed in a hospital (and an emotional support dog would be trained not to jump on the table).

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

I  was intrigued watching Amelia's recovery.  I started laughing when she was speaking French - basically because as my mother's Alzheimer's progressed, she stopped speaking English and only spoke in French (the language of her childhood).

I was surprised by the French speaking. I was expecting Amelia to burst out laughing as she was messing with them with the French speaking. 

• Love 1

I would happily trade Tom for Catherine any time.  She was good in the first scene when she came back but at dinner, she reverted to the judgemental shrew she usually is.

9 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

Still, it would be so easy for Meredith to have a one-liner that dispenses with any question as to the kids. When Meredith was woken up in Amelia's room, having spent the night, she could've said, "Thanks for waking me, lemme just check in with my nanny before I go shower."

But hasn't the show made clear that Meredith doesn't have a nanny and doesn't want one?

The lack of childcare for Meredith's three children is a pebble in my shoe about this show.  Sure she can be like Ellis in terms of being a brilliant surgeon but her mother screwed her up emotionally big time.  Those kids need someone who is going to be like Meredith's dad and it shouldn't be Maggie or Amelia.

10 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I hate it every time they bring up the Harper Avery because the rules keep changing to fit the current plot.  Why is Meredith and all her junior surgeons in contention because of one surgery that she didn't even pioneer but copied from something someone else has done?  If Meredith is in the running for Megan's surgery, why isn't Amelia for the jaw surgery?  If it has to be published, how is it going to be accepted in time?  It usually takes about a year to get an article accepted in a peer reviewed journal.

53 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

I've heard that happens a lot.  I think Caterina Scorsone knocked it out of the park when she was portraying Amelia's pain when DeLuca was trying to follow her pre-op orders and sit her up and her internal pleading to get him to stop but she could communicate externally.

It was heartwarming and all that Nathan brought Farouk to the US for Megan but it wrapped up too quickly and too fairy tale.  In reality, there are no easy solutions like that.  I know a Syrian refugee who went with his sister to UNHCR to become refugees.  She and her family went to Georgia, and he and his family to Canada.  They are a day's drive apart but cannot visit because he would not be allowed in the US and if she visited him she would not be allowed back.  Yesterday alone two news items were about the Canadian man who along with his American wife and three children were freed by Pakistani troops from five years captivity in Afghanistan and he was afraid to board the US plane (presumably because his ex wife is a Khadr and he was afraid he would be detained), and the ACLU taking DHS to court because of harassment of US permanent residents trying to get back into the US after a vacation in Canada.  While it was good to see the Muslim ban problem touched upon, it was too lightly resolved.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who wasn't amused by the string of possible interns?  It was like they played on every bad hipster stereotype...  would you really bring a dog to an interview and let it run all over the table?  Would you really answer your cell phone or ask for a snap during an interview?  Not all 20 somethings are stupid or vapid...  if this was supposed to be humor it fell flat for me.  

• Love 9

I would have totally asked to see the paperwork for that dog, if it was a support animal.  Guess that's why I'm not in HR.

Maggie does seem to have her moments, but for me, they are few and far between, so this stuff with her and Jackson is just filler until something new comes along.

To get a little personal, last Thursday, hours before the episode aired, I was at a doctor's appointment and got to see my own tumor that is in my face.  I've known about it for a little while but actually seeing it was strange.  I've been very flippant and jokey about the whole thing since having a 3 inch mass in my head is a lot to think about.  I've been reassured that there's nothing to worry about and it will be removed shortly.  Last night, I didn't think anything of the tumor storyline but as I sat down to watch, I started tearing up during the superman pose scene just before Amelia goes under.  As much as I hate that pose, I realized, that's going to be me soon and I guess it kind of hit home.  I don't know if it's the tumor talking (hahaha) but Amelia didn't bug me last night.

Regarding Jackson's inheritance, I figured it had to be billion and was glad you all on here was able to confirm that.

If I were Jo, I would have just told Meredith she wasn't getting a photo from me.  It's easy enough to put a little blurb that no photo was available. But then I remember that the rules change every episode.

As for the season so far, I am enjoying it.  It's more lighthearted and funny but the orgasm doctor can go. 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, berwoman said:

Am I the only one who wasn't amused by the string of possible interns?  It was like they played on every bad hipster stereotype...  would you really bring a dog to an interview and let it run all over the table?  Would you really answer your cell phone or ask for a snap during an interview?  Not all 20 somethings are stupid or vapid...  if this was supposed to be humor it fell flat for me.  

Oh, the dog thing is very real.  Maybe it's because I live in LA, but the "emotional support dog" concept has run amok and has been abused by people who don't actually need emotional support animals and who treat their dogs like accessories they must have with them at all times.  I love dogs, but it drives me crazy when people feel like they HAVE to take their dogs everywhere with them.  What they are is codependent with their dogs, and they need a 12-step program for their codependency.

This rant has been brought to you by a judgmental cat owner who doesn't need his two cats with him at all times.

• Love 21

Having interviewed lots of people for my office, I loved the intern interviews!  They were all too real, believe me - especially the TMI things ! You would also be amazed at what some people wear for professional position interviews.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Whether or not Maggie and Jackson get together-it is not incest. They are not related. Their parents are married. That's it. Does anyone remember the original One Day at a Time? Barbara and Mark got married then Ann and Sam got married, making Barbara and Mark step siblings. And it was OK, because they're not related!!

You are right, it is not incest.  However, I would say that it is incest-adjacent.  So, not physical/technical incest, but the emotional mess is there.  It makes me think of bad after school specials I saw as a kid.

Anyway, I am very firmly in the "Maggie and Jackson together is icky" camp for a couple of reasons.  The first is it came out of nowhere.  Secondly, I  don't see why those two characters would be attracted to each other.  I guess I could possibly see how Maggie might be attracted to Jackson, only because we haven't seen her character as fleshed out yet.  But I just can't see Jackson's character being at all romantically attracted to someone like Maggie's character.  I like Maggie, but she definitely has a needy streak that not even April had.  I know April comes off as naive and childlike (as Maggie sometimes does), but she does have an iron will in her that not many (any?) of the other characters have.  If you think back through the April/Jackson story, it was really April who was driving things and I just don't see that as something Maggie is capable of doing.  (I'm not saying this because I necessarily want a Jackson/April reunion--I'm rather ambivalent on that point.  Rather, I say it because I can see how some might think Maggie is April all over again and I think there is a real fundamental difference there).

That being said, I actually thought they do work well in a sibling relationship.  For some reason, Grey's does well with awkward dinner scenes and I did like that one with Jackson, Maggie, Catherine, and Richard and I liked how Jackson and Maggie were sort of a team against Catherine and Richard (well, mostly Catherine).  That sort of thing I'd like to see more of, not Jackson and Maggie as a romantic couple.

Other thoughts on the episode.  Was Megan's son really sick or was that something that Riggs made up to get him back in the US?  They may have said in the show, but I missed it.

"There have been other penises in my life that didn't belong to you" was probably my favorite line of the night.

This season is infinitely better for me for many reason, but probably the greatest is that I'm seeing more of DeLuca.  You know, I'd be okay with a DeLuca show. 

I would love to see Germann's character stick around more...he is very much in the same vein (or at least could be) as Mark Sloan and I really miss McSteamy.

It will be interesting to see how the show integrates the new interns, some of them actually seemed interesting.

14 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Are they setting up something between Amelia and DeLuca?

I got the feeling that they might be (and I'm not on board with that at all!), but then it seemed like they were trying to put Amelia and Owen back together.  Since Amelia now has a brand spanking new personality, I think they think they can try to get the Amelia/Owen thing to work. I'm not so sure.

I'm guessing, because this is Grey's, everyone needs to be paired up.  If so, I think I would rather see DeLuca with one of the new interns than with one of his superiors.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, BaseOps said:

I don't think there's anything between April and Arizona or DeLuca and Amelia... just like there was nothing to Alex / Mer. I think the writers are just making a better effort to explore friendships again, which Vernoff said she wanted to do. It's nice to see characters actually talk to eachother again. 

I agree with this.  Specifically with April and Arizona, they don't behave any differently than Meredith and Cristina did, and I don't recall there ever being the thought that those two should pair up.  Women can be friends with other women (and men with other men, and women with men), without it being sexual.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I agree that Catherine doesn't see Maggie (or Meredith) as family, but more than that she said to her husband and son, "Let's have family supper tonight" which seems perfectly reasonable after going to Harper's funeral. Despite their complicated and combative relationships with him, I'm sure it was still emotionally exhausting to deal with his death and funeral, so wanting to have dinner with just Jackson and Richard that night seems totally normal. If Richard had invited anyone else, I think she would have reacted the same way, even if her ulterior motive hadn't been to talk to Jackson about his inheritance. On top of that, Richard didn't even call or text her to let her know ahead of time which was inconsiderate. What if Catherine hadn't made enough food? Or what if she just wanted to lie on the sofa and cry instead of playing hostess to a woman she barely knows?

Contrived scene was contrived.

Jackson was at the funeral, probably was responsible for many of the arrangements, actually....he is an adult, and there's exactly NO reason why he wouldn't have been in the attorney's office as the contents of Harper Avery's will were disclosed to the family.  Jackson isn't a 10 year old.  This was really a stupidly written contrivance to give us a Jaggie "moment", IMO.   And then the KA patented dig (which was  hilarious) about advice from one's "sister".   (Great stuff!).

I like that they're playing this season for more lightness, and as others have stated, I hope they are going for more friendships than hook-ups.   That would get us back to the core reason we all loved Grey's in the first place.   The McDreamy & McSteamy escapades were fantastic and fun, but at the core we had the trials and tribulations of five people who became besties, and stood with each other through thick and thin.  The group finger-pointing "TUMOR!" scene reminded me of George's funeral, where they were laughing through their tears.  Classic Grey's.  I really hope they let Arizona & April find a super solid friendship, rather than a romance.  Most of the reason for Japril is that they were besties, even when apart, that the loss of that ability to be friends is what drove them back together as a couple.  We need more of these type of friendships.  Right now the only "I'd kill for you" one is Meredith/Alex. 

On the whole, really good episode, and the season is shaping up really well. 

Oh, and the intern interviews were hilarious..."you're not allowed to ask me about the dog"......as that bloody mutt was running around the conference table and jumping on Bailey & Richard.  Social media chick.  Doogie Howser.  Nervous Nellie.  Male Christina.  The patient whisperer.  Richard "I hate them all".

• Love 3
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Re: using the President's name-did they ever name the President when Derek was working with Washington and the President personally called him? I don't recall them doing so and that would support the poster up thread about dating the show in repeats and Netflix viewing. With the timeline of Grey's not always in sync with ours, Amelia could have been referring the the former President! 

Once that I recall.  They said something about how you can't turn down Obama.  I actually thought it was strange--both because of what was said above about trying to keep the show "timeless" and also because I thought, if they were going to mention a President's name, it would have been whats-his-name on Scandal.  

3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

And why was Meredith explaining the techniques of brain surgery to the other very competent surgeons around her? The residents maybe, but not to Alex and Maggie.

That didn't really bother me.  I saw it as a coping mechanism on Meredith's part.  She was talking out the anxiety.  I think that might be common among surgeons (we've seen it on this show before), so I don't think anyone else saw it as her talking down to them.

I liked Catherine Avery tonight- there's a first. I hope they don't go the route of April/Arizona. Can't people have friendship without the show trying to make it more.

I hope Amelia's new brain decides brain surgery is too risky and they write her out. I can't stand her.

11 hours ago, dirtypop90 said:

Idk it's early and I guess I'm willing to try it out because I've been ready for something new for Jackson (I've been over Japril for awhile and was never a big fan); and I actually think Maggie and Jackson could be good together; they certainly make sense on paper.  I will say that Shonda has made me fall for couples I never thought I would. I haven't cared about either of these characters well..ever..really...and now I'm finding them to be at least funny and pleasant.  As for chemistry, I think the actors have chem.  It is best when they dial down the awkward. Jesse and Kelly are both too grown for it. IMO

I was never a Japril fan, mostly cause I find April annoyingly screechy and tiresome, so I am open to anything that isn't about Japril. That said, I like the vibe between Jackson & Maggie in terms of it being something fresh/interesting to watch on the show but I'm not there - at least not yet - for anything romantic between them. My heart is still with Maggie reuniting with Deluca and Jackson finding someone else. I liked Jackson with Stephanie, so maybe someone similar to that character. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

There was one scene, where Meredith and Derek were arguing about him being away constantly in Washington DC doing the research or whatever for the President, and at one point, Meredith is like "I'm here doing blah blah while you're off playing doctor with Obama!"  That is not verbatim, but that was the gist of it.  So in the Grey's world, Barack Obama was President of the United States.  Which was actually a bit disappointing for me, as I was hoping for a Shondaland Grey's/Scandal crossover, where Fitzgerald Grant III was POTUS, and maybe a cameo by Tony Goldwyn would have taken place.  Oh well  :)

• Love 2

Two very touching moments for me. Amelia missing something, and Deluca realising it was the tumor. It just seemed so right.

When they open the door, and Farouk sees his mother. Well done Riggs

Maggie getting drunk was funny. 

Tumor humour was funny!

I'm not fond of Jo, but she's right, her husband still holds such power over her.

Glad Arizona and her girlfriend was kept to a minimum.! 

• Love 1
Just now, transitfan said:

There was one scene, where Meredith and Derek were arguing about him being away constantly in Washington DC doing the research or whatever for the President, and at one point, Meredith is like "I'm here doing blah blah while you're off playing doctor with Obama!"  That is not verbatim, but that was the gist of it.  So in the Grey's world, Barack Obama was President of the United States.  Which was actually a bit disappointing for me, as I was hoping for a Shondaland Grey's/Scandal crossover, where Fitzgerald Grant III was POTUS, and maybe a cameo by Tony Goldwyn would have taken place.  Oh well  :)

See, but if they did that, they'd have to explain how dead Ellis Grey was VP and Thatcher Grey was a political strategist with a husband (I only watched the first season of Scandal, so if that wasn't the situation going forward, forgive me).  I'm not against crossovers in shows, but it becomes tricky when the same smallish pool of actors is used over and over again.

• Love 4