Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

For all of Evelyn's fixation on the dress, tuxes, cake, on a minimal budget, my best guess is that the wedding budget is going mainly toward those things and not so much about things having to do with the guests. I am picturing a lavish ceremony complete with princess bride dress, an army of attendants in matching outfits, flowers all over the sanctuary. FF to the reception, it's cookies and punch in the social hall  of the church or in Evelyn's parent's back yard. Or the women get together and cook up a mass of sandwiches or pasta. I have been to weddings like this. Does anyone remember the show "four Weddings"? They had a super religious woman who was having a massive wedding at her church, complete with the groom dressing like a prince and she was wearing a crown and they sat on thrones on stage. For the reception, the bride loved desserts, so they had a desserts only reception and punch. After an hour, some of the guests were literally nauseous from sugar overload. The bride contestants called out for pizza and had it delivered to the reception. I can see Evelyn not giving a crap about the food, so no one eats. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 14

I don't think what Luis was doing was pervy - honestly.  I think he was talking about sex because the uncle and Olivia were the ones that brought it up. Clearly she's at least engaging in some type of sexual behaviors with the blond boyfriend (as evidenced by her uncle ratting her out when he spent the night) and Luis was awkwardly and in a foreign language at that expressing that she should do what she wants to do. From the TH later with Molly it's clear that he honestly believes that she should be able to engage in healthy sexuality - he kept repeating that it's her body and she can do what she wants to with it - and probably he's trying to get in good with Olivia about it by saying if that's what she wants to do then he won't tattle about it. Add to that the fact that he seemed to be asking some honest questions - is this a long term thing that will lead to marriage, etc. - and Molly's kind of oddly puritanical reaction at the restaurant at the mere thought that her almost 18yo daughter might be having sex, and I would say that he likely has problems getting where to draw the line (I mean she was discussing it with her uncle to some degree so why not with her stepdad) between honesty and TMI.  But I've had almost identical conversations with my teenage sons and their friends without accusations of being a pervert and preying on them. I think in this case Luis is being a little unfairly targeted because of his gender.

Andrrrrrrrei. Don't get me wrong - some straight up anger management/relationship with alcohol issues going on with this one. BUT I think there's some miscommunication and I'm pinning it on Elizabeth's weird obsession with showing him as an uberdominant male. He obviously thinks GNO is about drinking it up and grinding on guys in a club. Maybe he thinks that because he's a bouncer and he sees that. But from what they showed of her GNO it was pretty much like every one I've been to: food, drinks, gossip.  But she plays it out to him like it's possibly some nefariousness, with her faux ingenue "but BABY it's just a girls night" bullshit. I mean YES it absolutely IS just a girls night, but she likes that negative response from him cause it plays into her stereotype of him so she feeds the troll.  Can he straight up tell her what she can and can't do? Hell no. But she sure loves talking about how he tells her she can't do something.

I am honestly at a loss with Azan. Unless he's gay and trying to get the hell out of Morocco, I cannot fathom what he's doing with Nicole. I don't see any attraction, she bugs the crap out of him, and he doesn't trust her. Her continual need for positive affirmation seems to have cost him his job. 

Evelyn sucks. 

Poor David sucks.

Josh sucks.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I agree with this 100%. If it was a guy saying he wanted to go out and hit the club with his buddies there would be plenty of tsk tsking (I'd certainly be tsk-ing with the best of them) Elizabeth's insistence on going out to a club with her friends seemed off base. She's 27 and getting married. Clubbing shouldn't be looming so large. Unless, as Andrei clearly said, they went together. I smell producer meddling.

But Loren pissed Alexi off doing it, too. But the guys are being painted like the unreasonable, controlling prudes! lol

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

He's not terrible looking but he does look like he's done his fair share of meth. 

Frankly, I think he is terrible looking (and I suspect lacks his upper teeth).  Does meth do that?  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, sleekandchic said:

I don't think David wears scrubs.  The shirts look like Henleys to me, and his pants look like Aladdin harem pants.  Thing is, he really fills out those ballooning pants, in the ass, the stomach and thighs.  Very weird body shape.

I think it's something native to Thailand. They have little mandarin type collars. But yes, his body is bonkers. It's like had a failed gastric bypass. All the weight leaves he upper body in liquid form and just settles into the hips.

2 hours ago, sleekandchic said:

Evelyn/SpanishDavid/TheTroubleWithVirgins:     Evelyn is a spoiled, sheltered, overly-indulged 18-year-old girl.  She's naive and foolish and silly.  Definitely Not Ready for marriage.   But David?  He's not a good guy.  I don't like his attitude, not at all.

Is all the wedding-planning angst just part of their storyline, because they are THAT boring, otherwise?  I think that idea is very likely.  However, if the push and pull are the Truth of their relationship, then I think Evelyn should open her eyes. Imo.

I don't believe for a second that David Spain gives a shit about any of it. The guy wearing a too-tight sweater in July and denim joggers has that strong a preference for one tuxedo cut over another? Hardly.

• Love 5

I think there were two different parts to Andrei and Elizabeth's conversation. The first one was the general girls night out - which he said that if it was just her and her girlfriends hanging out and coming home at a reasonable time, he was fine with it.

The second part was specifically about the bachelorette party, which she wanted to celebrate with a GNO hitting the clubs and staying out late. That's where the cultural clash came in, because for her, she wanted to do the "American" bachelorette party (not that every woman does it like this, but in that it's something considered normal in general) where she and her friends have one night to celebrate that will be rowdier and later than usual - she clarified that it won't involve "dirty clubs" (strip clubs,  I'm assuming), but that she wanted to hit the clubs that night and not have a time that she has to be home. He shut that down quickly, saying that it was stupid and it meant that she was looking for someone that's not her husband-to-be.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

Frankly, I think he is terrible looking (and I suspect lacks his upper teeth).  Does meth do that?  

Ooh, you saw that too? Meth does some nasty things to teeth and skin.  I keep waiting for a big toothy grin from Josh.

Andrei seems a little dangerous, I do not see an attractive side to him, I see a future Elizabeth not having any friends and the pleasure of supporting Andrei while he does as he sees fit.  

12 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

I am honestly at a loss with Azan. Unless he's gay and trying to get the hell out of Morocco, I cannot fathom what he's doing with Nicole. I don't see any attraction, she bugs the crap out of him, and he doesn't trust her. Her continual need for positive affirmation seems to have cost him his job. 

I have always suspected his sexuality is a problem in his native country that is so short on human rights...he probably did not mind losing his job although a total bullshit reason like Nicole wanting to talk to him for 8 solid hours a day, what the hell do they talk about anyway? Now she will send him money out of guilt and hoping the money will make him beholding to her, like she is paying in advance for sex, Nicole is entering Danielle's way of thinking, I see this going very well, not.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

by the way, to those more worldly than me....is sheep head a real Moroccan dish?  Teeth and all?   They just shove the head in the oven and call it good?  I am truly appalled.  

I just googled.  It's a real dish, but Auntie Azan's presentation was a no no.

https://www.thespruce.com/moroccan-steamed-sheeps-head-2394801

https://www.meridian.net/morocco/2017/1/26/14372062/how-to-eat-a-sheeps-head-moroccan-food

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

I don't think what Luis was doing was pervy - honestly.  I think he was talking about sex because the uncle and Olivia were the ones that brought it up. Clearly she's at least engaging in some type of sexual behaviors with the blond boyfriend (as evidenced by her uncle ratting her out when he spent the night) and Luis was awkwardly and in a foreign language at that expressing that she should do what she wants to do. From the TH later with Molly it's clear that he honestly believes that she should be able to engage in healthy sexuality - he kept repeating that it's her body and she can do what she wants to with it - and probably he's trying to get in good with Olivia about it by saying if that's what she wants to do then he won't tattle about it. Add to that the fact that he seemed to be asking some honest questions - is this a long term thing that will lead to marriage, etc. - and Molly's kind of oddly puritanical reaction at the restaurant at the mere thought that her almost 18yo daughter might be having sex, and I would say that he likely has problems getting where to draw the line (I mean she was discussing it with her uncle to some degree so why not with her stepdad) between honesty and TMI.  But I've had almost identical conversations with my teenage sons and their friends without accusations of being a pervert and preying on them. I think in this case Luis is being a little unfairly targeted because of his gender.

Andrrrrrrrei. Don't get me wrong - some straight up anger management/relationship with alcohol issues going on with this one. BUT I think there's some miscommunication and I'm pinning it on Elizabeth's weird obsession with showing him as an uberdominant male. He obviously thinks GNO is about drinking it up and grinding on guys in a club. Maybe he thinks that because he's a bouncer and he sees that. But from what they showed of her GNO it was pretty much like every one I've been to: food, drinks, gossip.  But she plays it out to him like it's possibly some nefariousness, with her faux ingenue "but BABY it's just a girls night" bullshit. I mean YES it absolutely IS just a girls night, but she likes that negative response from him cause it plays into her stereotype of him so she feeds the troll.  Can he straight up tell her what she can and can't do? Hell no. But she sure loves talking about how he tells her she can't do something.

Evelyn sucks. 

Poor David sucks.

Josh sucks.

The problem I had with what Luis said was that he said she could "fuck" if that's what she wanted. He could have talked about it in a more mature manner considering she is still only 17. That's not how you go about talking about sex to a teenager. He may be all feminist, her body her choice, etc but he made it very creepy by talking about it dirty, making Olivia very uncomfortable. And Molly had already said she didn't want him talking about it. 

I had to agree with Andrei. There's no reason for a married woman to go to the club without her husband. He said the same for himself, which I appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

Yes, meth rots out teeth and kills the complexion. It really does a lot of permanent damage. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, sleekandchic said:

So not only die Auntie Azan try to make Nicole look like an ugly American (insert your own snark here) but she is a really bad cook to boot? Love it!

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

Andrei gets sexier and sexier in each subsequent episode! He's not here for the bullshit. I love it. And the irony - Elizabeth is the outspoken, independent rebel who needs her father and brothers' approval. I predict Andrei soon growing tired of Elizabeth's blustering and seeing her for the weak, inferior little girl she is.

After Olivia tattled on Luis, Molly kept saying "we're her parents and we shouldn't be talking to her about sex...we're her parents and we shouldn't be talking to her about sex..." I agree Luis shouldn't be talking to Olivia about sex.  But Molly definitely should be . Is she? Molly seemed so taken aback by this situation. But was she taken aback by the idea Luis is talking to Olivia about this? Or taken aback by the idea Olivia might actually be having sex. Molly looked mortified, as if Olivia were 10 yrs old. Luis needs to butt out. But Molly needs to wake up. Olivia is having sex. So get that weird look off your face, Molly!

Remind me plz never to eat again before an episode of 90 Day. Btwn the chicken feet, the pig carcass and the sheep's brain I'm still sick to my stomach today. Enough w/ this! If you want to expose sheltered Americans to your cuisine, start slowly. She couldn't make a shish kebab??

All the corner cutting Evelyn and David Spain are doing is making me sad. Just marry simply now and throw a big "hooha" (as Elizabeth says) later on when you have more money. No cake, no tuxes, lemme guess, pasta salads from the supermarket deli? Sounds like they just can't afford a reception.

So Chris just threw David Poor under the bus? Called him an alcoholic? Then why is he supporting (literally) this doomed marriage?

Andrei is so sexy! His body looks amazing. I love how straightforward he is. He doesn't take bullshit, but he has this tenderness for Elizabeth. He really cares about her. 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

So not only die Auntie Azan try to make Nicole look like an ugly American (insert your own snark here) but she is a really bad cook to boot? Love it!

I've fallen down the sheepshead rabbit hole.  Oy.  Ok, in Morocco, EVERY part of the head is eaten, except the eyeballs.  I'm skipping this treat.

http://noteatingoutinny.com/2008/01/30/eating-out-in-marrakesh-part-i-the-good-the-so-so-and-the-sheeps-head/

2229803446_634dcce3a8_b.jpg

Edited by sleekandchic
12 hours ago, Lemons said:

He said he doesn't think a married woman or an engaged woman has any reason to go to a club. He's not alone in that thinking. He's letting her know straight out so she can decide whether she could live with that or move on.

She made it sound like he wouldn't let her have a girls night out. He was fine with it until she used the word club. And you know he's picturing those clubs where every one dresses sleazy, drinks too much and there's a bunch of European men looking for cheap American women. He also said something about being concerned for her safety if she was out at 4 am. 

As for meeting her family he said that it wasn't all about meeting her family because she kept fretting about how her family will react to him, on and on and on. She's super annoying. 

I agree. What he was basically saying is that he didn't have any problem with her going out with her family or friends for a night out at the movies, a restaurant, etc. What he had a problem with was her going to a meat market type of club-a place where people go to basically pick up others. Even then, however, it sounded like it was fine as long as he was with her. The way in which she was framing this conversation, however, was definitely not the way it appeared (to me) that he intended his words to be taken. 

• Love 8

I have to say, I agree with the poster who thinks Andrei is hot. He's the best looking I've seen on this show by far. I can't really pinpoint what makes him so sexy but I have to admit, he's delicious. But I also get really bad abusive vibes from him more than any other character from any season. I'm afraid blondie might get a good beat down at some point. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Hero said:

Andrei is so sexy! His body looks amazing. I love how straightforward he is. He doesn't take bullshit, but he has this tenderness for Elizabeth. He really cares about her. 

I am not seeing the tender side of Andrei at all.  When she was excited about him meeting her family his comment was something like, "It's not my concern to meet your family," I sense something off with him.  I may be in the minority but his personality is a zero and I am not crazy over his looks either.

When they do get married I bet he will be wearing whatever tux he wants and to hell with what Elizabeth wants.

Time will tell.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I have to say, I agree with the poster who thinks Andrei is hot. He's the best looking I've seen on this show by far. I can't really pinpoint what makes him so sexy but I have to admit, he's delicious. But I also get really bad abusive vibes from him more than any other character from any season. I'm afraid blondie might get a good beat down at some point. 

As the episodes went on, Andrei became more attractive to me. I think it's his deep voice and accent. Plus, he seems really manly to me. Like he would keep you safe. It sounds weird written out, but that's the first thing that pops into my head. Also, I find Eastern European men to be very attractive. 

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

The problem I had with what Luis said was that he said she could "fuck" if that's what she wanted. He could have talked about it in a more mature manner considering she is still only 17. That's not how you go about talking about sex to a teenager. He may be all feminist, her body her choice, etc but he made it very creepy by talking about it dirty, making Olivia very uncomfortable. And Molly had already said she didn't want him talking about it. 

A lot of non native speakers don't know that f##k is an exceptionally vulgar word in English, especially as it is used so liberally in movies.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am not seeing the tender side of Andrei at all.  When she was excited about him meeting her family his comment was something like, "It's not my concern to meet your family," I sense something off with him.  I may be in the minority but his personality is a zero and I am not crazy over his looks either.

When they do get married I bet he will be wearing whatever tux he wants and to hell with what Elizabeth wants.

Time will tell.

I feel like he knows she bad mouths him to her family friends. My guess is that's why he doesn't want to meet them. Maybe he senses that they'll automatically dismiss him. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

For all of Evelyn's fixation on the dress, tuxes, cake, on a minimal budget, my best guess is that the wedding budget is going mainly toward those things and not so much about things having to do with the guests. I am picturing a lavish ceremony complete with princess bride dress, an army of attendants in matching outfits, flowers all over the sanctuary. FF to the reception, it's cookies and punch in the social hall  of the church or in Evelyn's parent's back yard. Or the women get together and cook up a mass of sandwiches or pasta. I have been to weddings like this. Does anyone remember the show "four Weddings"? They had a super religious woman who was having a massive wedding at her church, complete with the groom dressing like a prince and she was wearing a crown and they sat on thrones on stage. For the reception, the bride loved desserts, so they had a desserts only reception and punch. After an hour, some of the guests were literally nauseous from sugar overload. The bride contestants called out for pizza and had it delivered to the reception. I can see Evelyn not giving a crap about the food, so no one eats. 

Even as recently as the 60's a big sit down dinner at a wedding reception was kind of out there. Weddings were much more understated affairs--you had the ceremony at the church, then cookies and punch in the church hall, everyone was home in time for supper. When my friends started getting married in the 70's, you maybe went to the VFW or the Elks hall and there was a buffet, that was fancy! Weddings have gotten way over the top in the last 40 years.

36 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

Elizabeth is in love with the idea that her Andrei is a bad boy. I don't think he's as bad as he's being built up to be. He seems a little old fashioned (but no more so than Elizabeth's parents or brothers). He has a really nice smile. He seems to really love Elizabeth--he hasn't raised his voice to her or threatened her. i think TLC is enjoying painting him as a big, bad foreign man who can't break our American fillies.

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

So Chris just threw David Poor under the bus? Called him an alcoholic? Then why is he supporting (literally) this doomed marriage?

Probably because then he can control Annie to be his personal 'pool massage girl' while wifey is taking care of the kids...They're both scumbags and Annie, pro or not, should run away from this shit. DP is a slovenly, obese alcoholic. I didnt realize how gross he was until I saw more clearly in his white outfit, his barely able to walk waddle, and his ginormous stomach. Dude is lucky he could pay for someone to touch him.

I'm disturbed that people find Andrei attractive...he seems to me to be a very obvious chauvanistic pig of a man, and this idiotic woman seems to think he's worth giving in on everything to. Change in America because woman and men are equal here? Girl, get your head out of your ass! Women are not equal to men here...we're still not paid the same as a man doing the same day's work.

Basically, most of these people are flat out morons that should not be allowed to procreate. David Spain is about the only halfwit amongst a sea of nitwits in this cast, and I say cast because this shit is so scripted it's not even amusing anymore.

• Love 10
On November 6, 2017 at 9:47 PM, Sprockets said:

If he's talking about southern VA he's delusional as well.  Unless he's talking about the DC suburbs, he's delusional.  

No kidding.  I grew up in Kensington.  

Gaithersburg/Montgomery Village chiming in. VERY affordable here as far as MoCo goes, which is to say still not cheap cheap cheap. But VERY big Latino population so maybe David Spain would feel more at home here. As long as they don't move in next door to me (David is welcome, Evelyn and her voice are not). 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

"It's not my concern to meet your family," I sense something off with him.  I may be in the minority but his personality is a zero and I am not crazy over his looks either.

My take on this statement was that he is not "worried" about meeting the family.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I'm disturbed that people find Andrei attractive...he seems to me to be a very obvious chauvanistic pig of a man, and this idiotic woman seems to think he's worth giving in on everything to. Change in America because woman and men are equal here? Girl, get your head out of your ass! Women are not equal to men here...we're still not paid the same as a man doing the same day's work.

Thank you Ginerella! I am seeing red flags on the horizon.  

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Even as recently as the 60's a big sit down dinner at a wedding reception was kind of out there. Weddings were much more understated affairs--you had the ceremony at the church, then cookies and punch in the church hall, everyone was home in time for supper. When my friends started getting married in the 70's, you maybe went to the VFW or the Elks hall and there was a buffet, that was fancy! Weddings have gotten way over the top in the last 40 years.

Hmm, I got married in 1982 and went to a lot of weddings in the 70s and 80s. Many, including mine were in a  event hall or at a country club, with a big sit down dinner, a band, cake, open bar, etc.  What I have seen over the years is that weddings today have to have a damn theme. Country, rustic, winter wonderland, blech.    How about getting married as a theme?, she says in her best Dennis Leary voice.  

• Love 13
17 hours ago, For Cereals said:

Fun fact: would you not establish a budget prior to the wedding?  $5/serving seems like a lot for cake.  Why not just go the grocery store or Costco route.  They make decent cakes especially for large parties.  I almost did that when I found out a lot of bakeries here in Los Angeles don’t do buttercream.  Apparently I’m tacky.  It’s more “European” to have whipped topping.  Well, we ain’t in Europe.

When my wife and I got married, her grandmother made the cake (she does brisk business out of her home making wedding cakes to order). The icing had to be whipped instead of buttercream because buttercream is too sweet and will make me physically ill. When we go to weddings, we ask if the cake has buttercream for the icing. If it does, I just pass on the cake. We ask discreetly and don't make an issue of it and passing on the cake is, for me, no big deal. It's not the last cake on Earth, after all.

1 minute ago, poeticlicensed said:

Hmm, I got married in 1982 and went to a lot of weddings in the 70s and 80s. Many, including mine were in a  event hall or at a country club, with a big sit down dinner, a band, cake, open bar, etc.  What I have seen over the years is that weddings today have to have a damn theme. Country, rustic, winter wonderland, blech.    How about getting married as a theme?, she says in her best Dennis Leary voice.  

The bridal industry is a huge industry, more stuff like themes, destination bachelor and bachelorette parties etc...brides equate the perfect wedding with a perfect life, the perfect dress means the perfect husband and future kids...it's hard to avoid when planning a wedding these days. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, sleekandchic said:

Molly/Luis/TheElephant in the Room:   EVERYTHING about Molly is too much!  Her glue-on, inch-long nails, her arched-villain-brows, her exaggerated accent, her eating/drinking habits, her fantasy of being a fairytale princess who finally found THE ONE!  From the waist up, her breasts and torso, arms and shoulders look like they're imprisoned in some kind of bulletproof, mega super spanx underarmour torture chamber. How does she breathe?

Luis is the elephant in the room though.  He took pleasure in embarrassing Olivia and her gf with his suggestion. And when told not to talk about fucking again, he repeated himself over and over.  He was getting off on what he was telling Olivia.

Last week and this episode, I noticed Molly is now driving.  Yet the camera is careful not to show her behind the wheel.  We can see Luis in the passenger seat, and we can see Molly exit the driver's side. But no actual driving. Hope she's back on the road legally.

This is the brightest reg flag of all in a truly huge parade of them! There is something strongly bullying in the way Luis is so defiant in this perversion. When Molly got upset, and put on her actual mother pants, Luis was still defiant, undaunted, and taunting her. He clearly did not give a flying f*ck about what she thought or what she had to say about boundaries, or her daughter's sanctity, or any of it. And, NO, it is not a cultural thing! It is a predator thing!

I get that the producers may have prompted the whole, "I'm your dad" fiasco, but any man with an ounce of decency or sense would have shut that sh*t down almost immediately, but not Luis. He just pressed and pressed, and bullied the little girl, pounding at her psyche and sense of security. He went on and on and would not stop! Why? Because he has no respect for women or their boundaries.

Luis is letting his freak flag fly. He's also slowly taking over the house, and Molly may blister and rage, but in the end, she will do nothing. Her eunuch brother won't either because his endgame is to keep a roof over his head without really doing anything. So much for Uncle watching out for the girls.

Molly couldn't have done a worse job picking out a husband than if she had driven down I-75 at night and picked up the first male hitchhiker she saw in the shadows. 

Luis makes Mo look like a prince.

• Love 19
14 hours ago, mamadrama said:

So I tried making my joke about Andrei and the dead body over on the 90 Day FB group...it went over like a lead balloon with people totally ripping me a new one. I quickly deleted and scurried back here to the safety of you guys. Lesson learned. 

Mamadrama I was a part of those groups in the beginning back in 2015. I still have a cheat sheet hanging here on my cork board of who played what role. Our mission was Danielle/Mo back then. We started on twitter and then moved to facebook. It was fun at first but some were way too serious.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

This is the brightest reg flag of all in a truly huge parade of them! There is something strongly bullying in the way Luis is so defiant in this perversion. When Molly got upset, and put on her actual mother pants, Luis was still defiant, undaunted, and taunting her. He clearly did not give a flying f*ck about what she thought or what she had to say about boundaries, or her daughter's sanctity, or any of it. And, NO, it is not a cultural thing! It is a predator thing!

I get that the producers may have prompted the whole, "I'm your dad" fiasco, but any man with an ounce of decency or sense would have shut that sh*t down almost immediately, but not Luis. He just pressed and pressed, and bullied the little girl, pounding at her psyche and sense of security. He went on and on and would not stop! Why? Because he has no respect for women or their boundaries.

Luis is letting his freak flag fly. He's also slowly taking over the house, and Molly may blister and rage, but in the end, she will do nothing. Her eunuch brother won't either because his endgame is to keep a roof over his head without really doing anything. So much for Uncle watching out for the girls.

Molly couldn't have done a worse job picking out a husband than if she had driven down I-75 at night and picked up the first male hitchhiker she saw in the shadows. 

Luis makes Mo look like a prince.

Because Luis is a bratty child at the age of 26. Molly may not have picked up on that over Skype but now she has her hands full. She'll probably have to give him a curfew and I can see this turning into a mothering type of relationship, which can quickly become co-dependent. 

11 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Hmm, I got married in 1982 and went to a lot of weddings in the 70s and 80s. Many, including mine were in a  event hall or at a country club, with a big sit down dinner, a band, cake, open bar, etc.

Right. Certainly by the mid-to late 70's all the weddings I attended had all the trappings you describe in a fancier setting. When I first started attending weddings in the early, mid-70's, they were usually held at the local VFW hall or a similar venue. Band, cake, bar (usually cash, though!), sure. Meals were usually buffets, big sit down dinners were less common THEN. I am from a blue collar town and there was no country club, lol. Weddings were a party with catering, but nowhere near the huge fancy dos people seem to expect nowadays. So starting from when going to weddings first became a thing for me, to now, I see people spending a year's pay on a big splashy wedding that they can't afford, as opposed to the humbler affairs of my youth.

34 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I think he was trying to tell her that if her family didn't approve of him, it didn't matter because they love each other and are adults.  Elizabeth keeps droning on and on about her family not accepting Andrei, so he was trying to say, "Look, it's not a big deal.  We love each other and will get married regardless."  I think he would like to get along with them, but if they're going to be rude and not accept him based on nothing, then what else can he do.  I don't think he was trying to be disrespectful, just pragmatic in the fact that it's nice to have their blessing, but not necessary.

FYI -- I'm in the disturbing category as someone who finds Andrei attractive and I like him.  I haven't seen anything that really bothers me about him, yet.  I liked that he held men and women to the same standard with regard to going to clubs.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, balisticnikki said:

That was bizarre. I think Chris was just being matter-of-fact about it. Maybe he didn't realize that his friend was overdoing it with the booze again? Not sure.  Then he said something to the effect of, "If he keeps it up he's going to run this one off [too]." Something like that. 

I don't think David Poor would have lumbered over to apologize if Chris hadn't prompted him. Chris is sort of like his life coach.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

When my wife and I got married, her grandmother made the cake (she does brisk business out of her home making wedding cakes to order). The icing had to be whipped instead of buttercream because buttercream is too sweet and will make me physically ill. When we go to weddings, we ask if the cake has buttercream for the icing. If it does, I just pass on the cake. We ask discreetly and don't make an issue of it and passing on the cake is, for me, no big deal. It's not the last cake on Earth, after all.

seems chancey!  any piece of cake could be the last - that's my belief anyway.  No need to live on the edge.  (LOL).

David Poor, when he was drunk, accusing Anne (is that her name, this couple bores me so I'm not sure) of "you're not here for you?"  What does that even mean?  My only guess is that he KNOWS that he's just a vehicle to a better life and when drunk he admits it to himself and her.   Which, come on, is WHY he want to Thailand looking for love in the first place...because the bar is so low.     What do you all think?  

Edited by Granny58
punctuation
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Time will tell.

He said, "it is not my main purpose in life to meet your family." And I can't blame him with the way Elizabeth goes on and on like he is going to have to jump thru hoops and kiss their asses (which Andrei does not do! lol) to get their blessing. And there's something about the way she talks about her father and brothers makes it feel like a thinly veiled threat to Andrei that they're watching him and prepared to make life hard for him if he doesn't fall in line. A lot of girls/women mention older brothers in the form of a threat. And no one likes to be threatened. If you recall, Andrei offered to Skype w/ her father and brothers to introduce himself and reassure them that he's a decent guy but the father refused and said basically, he will only speak w/ Andrei on our home turf, ie., where he and his sons outnumber him. I can relate to Andrei being annoyed by the whole "you'll have to meet my family" stuff bc even as a woman, I have had to meet many bf's mothers/sisters/aunts over the years and be given the once over and sized up like a calf at the county fair. It's an uncomfortable position to be in and a 27 y/o woman should be more autonomous and less reliant of family approval.

Andrei is gorgeous bc he's just a really handsome guy...the big disarming Jason Bateman smile and the rakish, no-frills haircut, nice body and straight shooter personality. (And this is coming from someone who does not have a thing for Eastern European men.) Plus, he's funny and sarcastic. And charming. Every single word he's uttered about "Libby" (what he calls her) is an expression of total admiration, without being corny. I agree w/ his feelings on marrieds not loitering around clubs and bars. But I think a little of it is bc he has no friends to go out w/. It's rough to be all alone in a strange place..... And yes, as a bouncer, he sees the worst of it.

OMG, Eunice Kennedy! Missing top teeth! Folded towel! Rictus like a ballet dancer! I'm dying

bateman99.jpg

Edited by balisticnikki
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Speaking on the age difference because of maturity level. He is 27 and she is 18 and very immature and the relationship didn't start yesterday. I think it's gross that everybody pretty much agrees that it's not right for a grown ass man to date an underage girl but as soon as she turns 18 something magical happens and she's fair game to any age. Even old men, as we have seen on this show in the past. 

Fun fact, nothing magical happens the day of your 18th birthday except that you now get certain privileges like you mentioned above. Other than that they are still basically kids, teenagers. Let a girl turn 20 at least before luring her into your bed, old men. 

Im not talking about boys her age. I'm talking about men who should know better. Some of the men on this show probably wouldn't care if their future wife was 16. What's the difference? Physically and mentally there is no difference. If it was accepted by society they'd do it and that's why I think it's disgusting. Some men are just drooling in the corner waiting for the day a girl turns 18 so they can screw her and not get in trouble for it. 

I'm not really comfortable with men dating or marrying much younger women, especially when they are barely 18.  Noting magical happens at 18. But, that is the date society has chosen, as reflected in the law, where a person officially become an adult.  

For whatever reason, I don't have a huge problem with the age difference between Evelyn and David Spain.  I don't find her to be particularly immature.  She seems like a typical 18 year old to me.  She has a job and has probably gained some life experience in her "career" making those awful noises with her voice.   David Spain does not seem to be on that much higher level or intellectual and emotional development than she is.  I still think she would be better off waiting a few years to get married, but I would say that if the guy was 21 or 18.   

The fact that the relationship was not sexual before marriage probably makes it somewhat less problematic to me.   David Spain doesn't come across to me as some old guy trying to manipulate a young girl for sex.  They both seem to sincerely think they have found the husband/wife they want to spend the rest of their lives with.  Whether that is really the case, and whether they are both mature enough to make the marriage work remains to be seen.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I just got remarried and I joked about all the late 70' early 80's weddings I attended:  20 minute church ceremony, buffet dinner and dance at the local VFW with a DJ or band, lots of drinking and that was it.  No theme, just.....getting married.  For the record, the theme of my October 2017 wedding was......wait for it......Getting Married.

Back on topic:  Luis is just unsettling.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Normades said:

I think he was trying to tell her that if her family didn't approve of him, it didn't matter because they love each other and are adults.  Elizabeth keeps droning on and on about her family not accepting Andrei, so he was trying to say, "Look, it's not a big deal.  We love each other and will get married regardless."  I think he would like to get along with them, but if they're going to be rude and not accept him based on nothing, then what else can he do.  I don't think he was trying to be disrespectful, just pragmatic in the fact that it's nice to have their blessing, but not necessary.

FYI -- I'm in the disturbing category as someone who finds Andrei attractive and I like him.  I haven't seen anything that really bothers me about him, yet.  I liked that he held men and women to the same standard with regard to going to clubs.

I hadn't read this when I posted the above. But yes!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

NO JOSH, IT ISN'T FOR *THEM* TO DECIDE IF MODELING IS FOR HER, IT'S FOR *HER* TO DECIDE.  

Plus that whole 'agency' was a set-up to sell big bucks training and photography (head shots, etc.). They brought Josh in to assess the checkbook status. Did he and Aika really think what they were talking about was going to be FREE? Nope, fees would be paid; very little work will be booked.

This show is starting to feel retread: modeling (though this time the hubby is a fan and the wife isn't), interesting local food served up, controlling men, bratty brides. Can we have a nice real, sweet story mixed in to cut the ick factor a little? Please?

17 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Does Aika know Josh is in no hurry?

And she is correct -- at 36 she needs to get on that goal. I sense trouble in paradise over this issue (among others).

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I'm not really comfortable with men dating or marrying much younger women, especially when they are barely 18.  But, that is the date society has chosen, as reflected in the law, where a person officially become an adult.  

When I did our family tree I came to learn that my paternal GG grandmother got married at 16 to my GG grandfather who was 26 at the time.  Yes, it was early last century but apparently it was a good marriage according to newspaper accounts.   A younger woman with an established husband was a good idea then and presumably they had enough in common to make it work.  So some years between them doesn't skeeve me out but it does have its limits.....it's not like Hugh Hefner who was 60 (?) years older.  Now THAT is gross.  

@Mrs. Hanson   CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR MARRIAGE.  You seem very happy.  

• Love 2

Evelyn is quite the teen queen.  She wants what she wants and pretty much everybody tries to please her.  David is more educated than most of those coming over on the visa.  I was surprised his degree was in finance.  Surely he sees this wedding as one big financial mess.

She is 18 and I think he is almost ten years older than her.  Is he that in love with her in just the little time they have spent with her.  Will he bail out at the last minute.

Also I am wondering.  Did he graduate late or has he been working these last few years?  Surely he has some saved up cash???

This whole cast makes me wonder.

Andre and Elizabeth make me wonder.  Is he right or is he wrong.  If she wants to club why pick Andre?

She has very strange lips and when she puts that bright red lipstick on them and then outlines the top with a darker purple.  Uggg just ugg.  Her mouth looks deformed.  She looks so much better with no makeup on at all.

I wonder if he'll tell her that too!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

This is the problem with the purity cult.   It's all about the wedding.    Not about how a marriage works after that.    You are "saving" your self for your wedding night.    Then after that, well, who cares, the one important thing and worth you have is taken care of.   Until you start popping out babies.   So, of course Evelyn is making a big deal out of her wedding.   It's all she has to measure her worth.

I don't think that is true at all of most who believe strongly in not having sex outside of marriage.  I see Evelyn making a big deal out of her wedding as pretty typical North Eastern middle class bride behavior.  Plenty of brides  I have known who were not particularly religious (and definitely not virgins) saw their wedding as "their big day" and many had ones far more elaborate and expensive than Evelyn and David's.  

If anything, I think more devout Christians who believe in purity probably tend to have lower key weddings than the average American.  

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

So Nicole is used to chicken being in Saran Wrap?  And used to fresh veggies being packaged?

Not just packaged, in cans! 

To me, Nicole and David Poor are neck and neck for Most Repulsive. It’s not just their physical appearance, it’s a combination of personality disorders, pathetic demeanors, and irresponsibility. The fact that they look like a less-attractive Fiona and Shrek is icing on the ugly cake. 

• Love 12