Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Minotaur/ S03.E10: The Diviner

• Start Topic

In the aftermath of the Clark family's actions, new leadership assumes control of the Ranch. Daniel assists Lola in the distribution of water.

With the Ranch dangerously low on resources, Madison and Walker leave in search of a solution. Nick and Alicia struggle to keep the peace.

The show's been over for thirty minutes and no one can think of anything to say.  Ha, that was our problem in the live chat, too.  We were a herd of walking died-of-tedium.

Edited by candall
  • Love 5

We really need an "Adventures of Victor Strand" series... Can't wait for his reunion with nick and I'm sure he'll address the racial tension in a funny way when he gets to the ranch... Also nick needs to stay outta the sun before ppl start to wonder abt his parentage... All in all good epi looking FWD to future 

• Love 1

Oh, Fear the Walking Dead!  I'll give you this, you really do try to be important, bless your undead soul!

Why am I not surprised that even Strand's reaction to Travis' death was more emotional then Madison's was?  Seriously, I bet you once Daniel finds out, even he'll be more heartbroken.  Madison still acts like it's just a minor bummer like her favorite team losing or something.

No surprise that the Ranch is in all kinds of turmoil now.  It's almost funny how Jake and Walker clearly are trying their best to make this work, but everyone else is just fucking it up for them.  At least Troy finally got his ass booted from The Ranch, but I'm sure that is only temporary.

I knew Alicia telling everyone the truth was going to backfire, but I continue to like her more and more, because she has realized how much her mother sucks. They even more or less broke the 4th wall, by having her say that Nick is Maddie's favorite, because at this point, everyone but Nick knows that.

So, Maddie's big plan know is to have Strand take her and Walker to the damn that Daniel is currently at.  That should be a hell of a reunion!

I feel bad, but I laughed so hard when Ofelia tried to offer that girl water, and the girl just completely smacked it out of her hands.  Little girl ain't got time for Ofelia's guilt-ridden shit!

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

We really need an "Adventures of Victor Strand" series... Can't wait for his reunion with nick and I'm sure he'll address the racial tension in a funny way when he gets to the ranch... Also nick needs to stay outta the sun before ppl start to wonder abt his parentage... All in all good epi looking FWD to future 

Right. This show is now officially just like it's Mother show. A mess. An incoherent mess. Everything that was good about the show has been stripped away. 

Walker though? Is hot. I'll continue to watch for him and Strand at this point. Madison is legit now officially a worse leader than Rick Grimes. That's saying a lot. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 3

Oh dear. I haven't even been able to hate-watch this for a little while now. It is still on my PVR, but I haven't watched it. I stopped just before the Daniel centric episode (I was afraid they would find a way to screw that up and make me stop caring, so I decided to wait until I had a few episodes to watch back to back...and I didn't return).

Reading these reactions make me wonder whether I should bother...or just press delete. :( 

Why would the give half their guns to people who already had their own?

Why would they give all their guns to them?

Can you imagine being in the zombie apocalypse and being told you can't have a gun? And then finding out the only people allowed to have guns are the ones who you've been at war with for years.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, shanndee said:

Reading these reactions make me wonder whether I should bother...or just press delete. :( 

I'm seriously considering doing the same thing. I enjoyed a few episodes the first half of this season but mostly it was just boring. I fell asleep on the couch last night half an hour in. 

I watch out of some strange obligation that I can't really explain. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 3

Comparing this group's power to ruin everything when they show up to Rick's group's same power, I'd like to see them meet up just so we can know which group's power of ruination would beat the other.

About 80% of this show story is based on bumping into someone.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Carl Malone said:

Can you imagine being in the zombie apocalypse and being told you can't have a gun? And then finding out the only people allowed to have guns are the ones who you've been at war with for years.

That didn't make any sense at all.  I really can't see those people being willing to hand their guns over so easily. 

• Love 5

Just when I thought this show couldn't get any stupider...well, it did.  Every decision Madison made is the wrong one; I feel like at this point, the other characters should ask Madison what she thinks they should do, and then ALWAYS do the exact opposite, because they know she'll make the wrong choice every time. 

I'm still a fan of (and somewhat of an apologist for) the original TWD.  I don't see Madison and Rick as the same.  Madison only--and I do mean only--cares about herself and her children, and sees her other allies and any other humans as a means to her family's survival.  Rick is loyal to his entire group, and is willing to bring other allies into his group to strengthen the entire GROUP, not just his flesh and blood.  Rick is flawed...Madison is evil.  To me, there's a difference. 

Gah, this show.  I may have to finally quit, and I say that as one of the poor, deluded souls who tends to stick with any show I've watched for one season all the way through to the bitter end.

Edited by OhTheHumanity
  • Love 13
45 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am still trying to figure out why Victor didn't tell little  Miss Psycho (Madison) that Daniel was still alive and if they wanted to get water, they would have to get it through Daniel.

That would be logical.  But so much of the plotting in both shows in this franchise is built around characters failing to convey basic needed information that could have saved a whole lot of trouble or bloodshed.  The rest appears to be people who no longer have the means to call or easily locate each other randomly running into whoever they need to run into.  Strand didn't bother to tell Stoneface that they'll be going to see their old running buddy Daniel, who he didn't end things well with, just as Stoneface didn't bother to tell Walker that she was blithely trading away their means to pay for water, the whole point of their trip, for some guy he's never met.  How will they pay for water with this new unknown entity at the dam?  Don't bother Madison with details like that when she's staring off into space.

Of course Troy will wander back in at some point because of course he will.

• Love 6

Those two hours were really rough going.  It's hard to believe that a lot of talented people are working very hard to come up with this crap. 

The thing that's hardest for me to swallow is that all of these people, who seem to have BASIC intelligence, think that Madison and her brood are LEADERS.  How can anyone put their lives in the hands of Madison and NICK?  A few weeks ago, Nick was a useless junkie who covered himself with blood and simply walked away from his family.  Now, he's practically a deity to a group of SURVIVALISTS.  The only member of Madison's family who has a lick of sense is Alicia and she's the one who doesn't want to be a leader.  Instead of posing and preaching, Alicia just went out, picked up a shovel and started DOING SOMETHING to help her community.

I'm glad that Madison saved Strand because he's the only reason I'm still watching, but if Walker doesn't tell her to take her kids and go,...well, it will be just the latest in an apparently never-ending list of unbelievable plot points.

• Love 9

Yeah, any of these supposedly hardened survivalists or even the johnny come lately hangers on we learned about earlier in the season looking to Madison or her teenaged kids for leadership reads more like "welp, they're the named cast in the credits and I guess that means we follow them" rather than any organic storytelling or logic.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

That would be logical.  But so much of the plotting in both shows in this franchise is built around characters failing to convey basic needed information that could have saved a whole lot of trouble or bloodshed.  The rest appears to be people who no longer have the means to call or easily locate each other randomly running into whoever they need to run into.  Strand didn't bother to tell Stoneface that they'll be going to see their old running buddy Daniel, who he didn't end things well with, just as Stoneface didn't bother to tell Walker that she was blithely trading away their means to pay for water, the whole point of their trip, for some guy he's never met.  How will they pay for water with this new unknown entity at the dam?  Don't bother Madison with details like that when she's staring off into space.

Of course Troy will wander back in at some point because of course he will.

Not that I'm quibbling, because this show isn't worth it, but I have a more cynical view as to why people don't tell other people key things. I think the writers make this stuff up as they go along. Which means this: In this instance they have (as they are writing the script in which Madison bumps into Strand) no idea how they will introduce Daniel. I mean, they know they will and it will have something to do with water, but they haven't gotten past "Strand's episode." The writers don't want to write themselves into a corner (so to speak).

I remember watching a special on how Spielberg made Raiders (or one of his movies) and he had everything drawn out on 3x5 cards and put up on a bulletin board.  He knew where he was going and how he was going to get there. Yet, there was still room for improv. 

On another note: Why banish Troy?  I mean, I know why, but here's the thing: He has shown himself to be pretty good at moving stealthily, and he does know the area, and there don't seem seem to be a tremendous amount of walkers around. Which means, he's going to show up at the Ranch. And he's going to be REALLY pissed then. (And in the process, they lost what seemed to be a good man in the process.) So, they've made a bad situation even worse. They should have killed him. And definitely, Madison should have killed him. But the ONLY reason they didn't was because they have the actor under contract because they want him to come back as the Big Bad, so they are manipulating the audience. I call Bull Shit on that.

• Love 7

When the first commercial break started and I seen I've only been watching for 17 minutes. It felt like at least twice that. So boring. 

I'm trying to figure out if I have a shit TV or if the show doesn't know how to film in the dark and still actually make it possible to see whats going on. The whole Troy and Nick think fighting in the house and the militia meeting I couldn't see a damn thing. 

Yes Stand. Does he seem to be the only person Madison cares about. Sure she "cares" about her kids but it just seems like something more with Strand. I don't get why he didn't tell than about Daniel. How hard is it to say "you know who didn't die in a fire." But nope it needs to be a face to face surprise.

I want Alicia and the Indians looking for water to find it. Just so all the work Madison went through is for nothing. Riding in with a tanker full of water like a savior only to have no one need it anymore. 

Wonder how Daniel will feel when he finds out Walker turned his little girl into a murderer.

• Love 5

They should change the name of  the show to "Fear the Annoying, But Not Really Much of a Problem, All Things Considered, Walking Dead."

And Barter Town? Can't we all just get beyond Thunderdome?

• Love 10
13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Why am I not surprised that even Strand's reaction to Travis' death was more emotional then Madison's was?  Seriously, I bet you once Daniel finds out, even he'll be more heartbroken.  Madison still acts like it's just a minor bummer like her favorite team losing or something.

Even When Madison's head was lying on Strand it was looking fake.  One of the worst actress that I have ever seen and I'm not young...

• Love 8
3 hours ago, JackONeill said:

On another note: Why banish Troy?

I know...  And Nick being in a cage?  Because he stands in front of Troy's gun and try to save the others?  At first I tough that I was too tired to follow but no...  :-)

That brings me to Walker. 

At first I found him annoying but now he is more and more hilarious in the kind of stereotype he is.  He always wants to fight even without knowing why or with whom.  I hope he will be there for a while 'cause he makes me laugh,  I guess that when he will meet Daniel it will be epic.

• Love 1

From the first scene and for about the next 105 minutes I kept saying to myself "this shouldn't be happening". Why does this ranch have nearly invisible wires for fencing? Why does Madison have free reign to Otto's office? How could the whole tribe just drive in like that and how did anyone expect this forced marriage to work so simply? Where's the space? They went through the weapons check for the meeting, but I didn't see many Indians in attendance. Listening to Jake give speeches is embarrassing.

Nick told Troy about his father's death, but I don't recall it ever being mentioned to the Broke Jaw ranch that Travis wasn't their father. Since Maddy's referred to Travis as her husband, which he was not, so I thought they were playing a family ruse.

The Daniel uprising confused me? If they are passing out water to the people, why are they thieves? If that guy was part of the previous cartel, maybe he has a beef, but why does the crowd care? In fact, the previous water supply was granted without the approval of TPTB so why the uproar now? And if the whole crowd was supposedly turning on Daniel and the lady, how are we to believe they actually got away on that truck? It made no sense. 

When questioned about Ophelia poisoning the ranch, did Walker really pipe up and say she's a hero in the midst of Broke Jaw residents? Talk about tone deaf. But I guess the show is trying to suggest that's the essence of being Indian. March in the whole tribe, confiscate the guns, demand all keys to the supplies, and demand control over the water just because.

• Love 8

Is gold a useful commodity in the ZA? Do you leave your stash in the big water tanker for Maddy and anyone else to steal? I was supreised she had freedom of movement after bashing people with a shovel in this little Thunderdome. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Iguessnot said:

Is gold a useful commodity in the ZA? Do you leave your stash in the big water tanker for Maddy and anyone else to steal? I was supreised she had freedom of movement after bashing people with a shovel in this little Thunderdome. 

That was gold.i thought it was pills of some kind. But I was barely paying attention. But I do think it's dumb to leave the entire stash without any protection.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

That was gold.i thought it was pills of some kind. But I was barely paying attention. But I do think it's dumb to leave the entire stash without any protection.

It looked liked big coins. I hope to God those coins belonged to the tribe, because if the writers are suggesting Broke Jaw let the two outsiders skedaddle with their currency, they need to lay off the weed. 

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

1 hour ago, notcreative enough said:

50 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

It looked liked big coins. I hope to God those coins belonged to the tribe, because if the writers are suggesting Broke Jaw let the two outsiders skedaddle with their currency, they need to lay off the weed. 

No, those pipes were all full of bullets, not gold.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has hoped for at least two seasons that each and every single one of these main characters gets horribly eaten by zombies every episode.

I only watch this because my sadistic husband insists we watch.  I was so upset when I saw it was back after only a two month break.

I hate them all.  I want them all to die horrible deaths.  I root for the zombies every week. Why aren't they all eaten and zombies yet?!

• Love 9
1 minute ago, nodorothyparker said:

The show apparently only budgets for a handful of zombies every other episode or so.  It would take at least another two-hour episode just to eat through this expanded cast.

Nah.  A handful of zombies plus the regular cast in zombie makeup.  Easy peasy.  I could do it on a shoestring budget.  Dare me, show...I beg you.

• Love 1

So Madison leaves with her baby boy still in the dutch oven? Not her typical behavior. Handing the gun key over to Taco?  Why?? Banishement, what are they, the Amish, where one is shunned?  Madison gets in the face of everyone, every thug and guard and militia, and just has to hold up her hand in Mom pose and say "wait, hold on" and she gets her way, or gets to talk to a prisoner (Strand) or whetever else her bland slack jawed face wants at the moment??

So much poor plot & character development.......I am giving it one more try, after getting caught up on preacher and AHS....and then i am most likely going to peace out of this horrible show.

• Love 2

I've completely given up on this show. I barely watched any of the last half nevermind giving this one a chance especially based on the comments here. Not even the ever charming Strand was able to keep me hanging on after the 1st season. I wish the storywriters had gone the route of ZA origin/patient zero and spread out from there. I really wanted to like this show. Honest.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Nothing has ever made much sense when it comes to Madison's behavior.  I thought for sure that she would want to take revenge for the shooting of the helicopter/killing of Travis.  I don't think she ever did that.  Every now and then I get distracted when watching this show.  I really do have to concentrate just to try and comprehend what these characters are doing, and why.  It is a struggle.

People in this show seem to get over someone killing someone they're close to rather easily. 

• Love 2

Did all the lakes and rivers dry up in the zombie apocalypse? Or did those assholes decide to set up camp in the middle of the Mojave desert? There should be a little stream nearby called the Colorado River unless that dried up too. Maybe there is some kind of water zombie that we are unaware of?

• Love 2

So I started watching like the first 15 minutes and even Daniel couldn't keep me interested.  Decided to check in here to see if it gets better or is worth my time.

Obviously not.  I don't think I can even hate watch at this point...

• Love 1
On 9/11/2017 at 9:28 PM, Daryleena said:

Madison gets in the face of everyone, every thug and guard and militia, and just has to hold up her hand in Mom pose and say "wait, hold on" and she gets her way, or gets to talk to a prisoner (Strand) or whetever else her bland slack jawed face wants at the moment??

It is so ridiculous.  Jake and Taqa are arguing over the weapons cache and then Jake just hands over the key on Madison's say so.  It's really not a good idea to arm one side and not the other.  It's what led to Troy's shooting rampage (though he probably would have found another reason anyway).  So many issues with people doing things just because Madison says so.

I'm still disbelieving that Madison let Troy live, especially after he murdered the guy in the truck right in front of her, for no reason at all!  I watched it again to see if I missed something, but nope, Troy was just being psycho.  There is no reason to let Troy live, except for plot, for him to show up at a later time and cause trouble.  Then it (the killing of the guy) isn't even brought up when we see Taqa again!  The dead guy was one of his.  That was a really bad sequence.

Things I do like:

Alicia and Nick.  It's silly that the militia view Nick as in charge, but I'm amused by Nick's "what? who, me?" expression when they do.  Nick is a screw up, but realistic to me and I like Frank Dillane's portrayal.   I like Alicia trying to get shit done, especially after Madison and Taqa dropped the whole water shortage mess in her lap.  She cares about people.  There could be a story there about the two worlds trying to survive together at the ranch but I feel like we're always going to get bogged down in crap.

I like Taqa, especially when he's prickly and angry and arguing with Madison; plus he's easy on the eyes.  I like Strand when he's unbalanced and off his game a bit.  I've always liked Daniel.

Crazy Troy as a wild card character was interesting. 

The real weak link is Kim Dickens.  I think she's going for stoic but it's not working.  Kill off Madison and have Alicia in charge with Nick as her co-pilot and Jake as her boy toy.    Alicia has a good dynamic with different characters; Taqa, Nick, etc.    Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen.

• Love 3
On 9/11/2017 at 11:11 AM, notcreative enough said:

Wonder how Daniel will feel when he finds out Walker turned his little girl into a murderer.

Daniel and Walker will eventually get on like a house on fire. Don't forget that Daniel convinced Ofelia to lure the soldier claiming that he would trade him for her mother when his real intent was to torture him for information. Sound familiar? Daniel and Walker are essentially the same man; untrustworthy and ruthless which is exactly why Ofelia is attracted to Walker, well that along with his serious hotness. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
On 9/11/2017 at 0:39 AM, shanndee said:

Oh dear. I haven't even been able to hate-watch this for a little while now. It is still on my PVR, but I haven't watched it. I stopped just before the Daniel centric episode

Interesting, since IMO that's one of the few good episodes in the entire series.

On 9/11/2017 at 6:32 AM, Carl Malone said:

Yeah, made no sense.  Madison's play was she wanted to show her people were no threat.  It would make more sense if each group had their own guns (kept locked up in a separate area).  But I guess the idea is that if each side had guns things might quickly devolve into a shootout.

I thought that keeping Nick in the hot box was unnecessarily brutal.  I'm surprised Madison put up with that.

• Love 1
On 9/10/2017 at 11:17 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I feel bad, but I laughed so hard when Ofelia tried to offer that girl water, and the girl just completely smacked it out of her hands.  Little girl ain't got time for Ofelia's guilt-ridden shit!

Kid probably figured it was laced with anthrax.  You know - past history and all that.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:29 AM, OhTheHumanity said:

Just when I thought this show couldn't get any stupider...well, it did.  Every decision Madison made is the wrong one; I feel like at this point, the other characters should ask Madison what she thinks they should do, and then ALWAYS do the exact opposite, because they know she'll make the wrong choice every time.

Yep, it's now official - Madison is suffering from Kate Syndrome.*

* Kate Syndrome: A mode of behavior whereby a person follows their internal compass to make the absolutely, positively worst decision on any course of action, under any circumstance. 

Named after the most flagrant initial demonstrator of the syndrome - Kate, from Lost - although strong strains of the syndrome have also been observed in Revolution's Rachel, TWD's Lori, and (most recently) FTWD's Madison.

Noted symptoms of Kate Syndrome include the following:

1. When the decision affects a group, said course of action is followed even if - or especially if - the individual's decision runs 180 degrees counter to the group's consensus; in the Kate-afflicted individual's mind, their decision-making skills are by definition superior to all other persons or considerations.
  2. Imperilment of others in a group is given little or no consideration - their lives and well-being are a small price to pay, so long as the Kate-afflicted individual is proven right.  Which they aren't.  Ever.
  3. A tendency to find and/or appropriate all available firearms, after which the firearms are either (a) lost or (b) immediately surrendered to the nearest available enemy.
  4. Use of any fondness or kindly feelings as emotional blackmail material to achieve the Kate-afflicted's goals.  Which they won't. ever.

A person afflicted with Kate Syndrome can be very useful to a group - so long as they solicit the Kate-afflicted person's opinion on all things, then proceed to do the exact opposite.  This course of action has given strong appearance of being conducive to a long, happy, and peaceful life.  Groups attempting to utilize this approach should be forewarned to secure the Kate-afflicted in some fashion to ensure they have no access to firearms or other weapon of any kind - else they will escape, steal the weapon(s), and immediately go find an enemy to give them to.

• Love 4

I'm not saying I love the character but damn us there a serious hate -on for Madison on this board... I mean in the grand scheme of things she's done allright by the only people she really has to care for... Her and her kids are pretty safe and in relative positions of power.. If the guns stayed at the fingertips of the white folks in that camp there would have already been an attempted coup... Which woulda been bloody and costly... I don't always like her decisions like turning on the light at the hotel.. Or constantly trying to control that maniac Troy... But I get her reasoning... The only metric for a leader in this new zombie world right now at least in the timeline is are your ppl alive... Are they somewhat safe and do they have any control if the world around them... And to that end she's done OK... 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Nashville said:

Okay now - when Troy was wrestling with Madison immediately pre-exile, did anybody else get the impression he was also trying to cop a feel?

Yes and it was talked about on TD that there's that definite vibe there.  The whole thing is supposed to be icky and messed up.

3 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I'm not saying I love the character but damn us there a serious hate -on for Madison on this board...

In the beginning of the series I kind of liked what they were doing with her character; she acted quickly and wasn't always likable but overall got shit done.  I agree that at least her kids are alive and she's maneuvered them all into positions of power.  My major issues are that as the series has gone on, Kim Dickens is showing nearly no emotion about anything, so it is hard to see why everyone defers to Madison - she's not especially charismatic, smart or tough.  So the more the show sets up scenarios with her in charge and others doing what she says, the more unbelievable it is to me.  Old man Otto was a racist and awful but the actor was good and I could believe people following him.  Micheal Greyeyes as Taqa also shows natural leadership.  I think Alicia is coming into her own as a leader.

Nick doesn't strike me as leadership material but if I squint I can maybe see why the militia went to him.  I also like Frank Dillane in the role.  I can't squint hard enough to accept Madison in the leadership role though and I put that right on KD's performance.

• Love 5