Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I've crossed at all of the bridges over the Niagara many, many times, as well as Port Huron/Sarnia, Detroit/Windsor

ABay, did you ever use either the Algonac or Marine City ferry to cross? I'm curious as to whether it would make for a more pleasant experience (although Marine City isn't running anymore)

How the hell did they gape at manicotti and the Niagara River? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I can accompany you on those songs on my upright piano. Do you know "Chopsticks"? It's my specialty song. Maybe you heard me practicing for The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra.

I wonder how many of us can get around one piano?  I should think quite a few of us know chopsticks.  Could end up a bit like Twister I suppose.

• Love 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I wonder how many of us can get around one piano?  I should think quite a few of us know chopsticks.  Could end up a bit like Twister I suppose.

Other members of the Alber Camoo Dance Troupe can fit/sit/dance on top of the piano. Just wear appropriate clothing. Plenty of room for everyone! Two can sit on the piano bench for dual playing. Perfect for "Chopsticks."

I looked at today's FJ and Magic 8 Ball said: "Saber is a dumbass. Try again."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, secnarf said:

Got Niagara river (how did they miss that?!) and resistance, but I don't think I've ever heard of the Surprise Symphony before.

I missed it - I had no idea that it was between two Great Lakes.  I might've heard of the Surprise Symphony but would never have gotten it from the clue.  I don't like Haydn so I wouldn't have thought of him anyway.

15 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Interesting FJ bet by Bob Seger.  Almost worked.

K = Strikeout.  How was that a TS?

Thank you to The Police for the Lolita answer (from "Don't Stand So Close to Me" - "Just like the old man in that book by Nabokov.")

I didn't know it but then, I haven't watched baseball since Peter Angelos bought the Baltimore Orioles.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Other members of the Alber Camoo Dance Troupe can fit/sit/dance on top of the piano. Just wear appropriate clothing. Plenty of room for everyone! Two can sit on the piano bench for dual playing. Perfect for "Chopsticks."

Can this be me?  Please?  Surely the clothing can be deemed appropriate depending on our theme, and I'm happy to share the space.

image.png.cfcbaa606955f9d5be9a42ba57822c50.png

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Can this be me?  Please?  Surely the clothing can be deemed appropriate depending on our theme, and I'm happy to share the space.

Brookside, that is EXACTLY what I had in mind, plus the clothing is absolutely appropriate ... you know, for the genre. Heh. Well done!

• Love 3
Just now, Clanstarling said:

Ah, man, you beat me to it. LOL

As I said, happy to share the space.

How many monkeys does it take to type Shakespeare.?  Or, how many Jeopardy! snarkers does it take to make a band?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Ah, man, you beat me to it. LOL

There's plenty of room for you up there, Clanstarling. My piano will accommodate numerous members of the Women Authors Singers. Just dress appropriately. You know, like Brookside.

• Love 3

@bad things are bad, fortunately, I don't do the drive to and from Michigan every year anymore but we always took the Blue Water bridge in Port Huron or the Ambassador bridge in Detroit. I didn't even know there was a ferry!

Ali misses a Gordie Howe question but gets one about the Lady Byng trophy? That is...something.

• Love 6

I lived in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan for a year and took the bus over the bridge to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario for a couple hours of wandering around and shopping ... got a grilling coming back into the US. Including about why we took the bus instead of a car (we didn't have one - it seemed like what the bus was for).

• Love 4
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

FANTASTIC photo ChicagoCita. You obviously live in the high-priced spread.

Uptown... so not really. The crime keeps the rents down. ;-) Love the views of our landlocked state, though.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Ali misses a Gordie Howe question but gets one about the Lady Byng trophy? That is...something.

He sounded pretty unsure of himself when he answered Lady Byng - like he had heard of it but didn't really know what it was, so just guessed that was it.

• Love 2

How many more times is Alex going to remind us that Ali is from Canada? I don't mind Ali, but I rooted for Justin tonight. I liked the story of him and his wife both working at the Florida School for the Blind and Deaf. Also, he looked like Woody Harrelson. He got a "good for you" from Alex also, I think.

I thought the "math problems" were funny, I just wish Alex hadn't eaten up time telling us how weird the category was.

No TS's for me tonight except for Funny Girl. Like Deb, I guessed Brisbane for FJ.

• Love 6

As a Detroit native with the last name Howe, if I had a nickel for every time I have been asked about Gordie, I wouldn't need to win Jeopardy.  Can't wait till the new bridge named for him from Windsor to Detroit opens. I will feel like a celebrity.

Also the Niagara river is one of my favorites - lovely from any bridge as some else mentioned.  Also the drive from the falls up to Niagara on the Lake is beautiful and leads to a great town.

• Love 10

For the clue Iain Armitage (Young Sheldon) gave, my closed captioning blipped out, and I wasn't sure if I had it right (Big Little Lies vs. Big Little Liars), so I IMDB'd him, and omg, he has the cutest/weirdest photo ever.  Not sure how/if I can link it, but look it up.  Stay cool, Iain, and be a Ronnie Howard/Jodie Foster, not a (I won't call out anyone, since some child stars crashed and then later redeemed themselves).

• Love 4

It's been a long day, and I'm tired, and I'm also tired of Ali.  So I didn't pay as much attention as I usually do.  Justin's swaying was a little annoying, although I did notice that it slowed/stopped when he got behind. 

Perth crossed my mind for FJ, but in the end I settled on Brisbane, which as we know, is wrong.

• Love 4

It seems they forgot the capital of Western Australia instead giving those of Queensland, South Australia, and the Northern Territory. At least they didn't guess Sydney. 

Maybe it's because I go to the Outback Steakhouse with my family on a regular basis and looked at Australian maps, but I got it. 

5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I wasn't sure if I had it right (Big Little Lies vs. Big Little Liars)  Stay cool, Iain, and be a Ronnie Howard/Jodie Foster, not a (I won't call out anyone, since some child stars crashed and then later redeemed themselves).

It was Big Little Lies. I wish the Young Sheldon actor success and also hope he avoids what often happens to child stars. 

• Love 5

Does anyone know if Ali is from Canada?  Anyone?  <sarcasm>

I still don't like him.

My only TS tonight was Big Little Lies.

For some reason, FJ was an instaget.

• Love 5

I like Ali.  It doesn’t bother me when he goes for the bottom clues.  He does it when the round is timing down, so he’s looking for the money.  No clue as to today’s FJ!  Perth isn’t on my Australia radar.  

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

It seems they forgot the capital of Western Australia instead giving those of Queensland, South Australia, and the Northern Territory. At least they didn't guess Sydney. 

Maybe it's because I go to the Outback Steakhouse with my family on a regular basis and looked at Australian maps, but I got it. 

It was Big Little Lies. I wish the Young Sheldon actor success and also hope he avoids what often happens to child stars. 

Right - it was getting conflated in my brain with Pretty Little Liars, I think (although I haven't watched either one).  I'm sure if I was on, I would have picked "the other one".

• Love 5

Congrats to Ali.  Why does Alex keep acting surprised when he knows things about America?  Quit being a douche, Trebek.

"Good for you!". Drink!  ??

I got Big Little Lies, Funny Girl, and plumeria.

I have no idea how I pulled Perth out of my brain for FJ, but I did.

• Love 14

I got Big Little Lies, Funny Girl and the Divine Mind. My stepfather was a Christian Scientist. When he and my mother married, I was already an adult, but we had some interesting conversations about his beliefs. He wasn't extreme when it came to medicine, which was good. He went to doctors when he had cancer and didn't discourage my mother from going to doctors. Where his beliefs came into play most was regarding routine illnesses. For example, he wouldn't take drugs for a headache or cold. He used natural remedies, which were actually pretty sensible.

For FJ, I guessed Canberra, which I knew was probably wrong, but I couldn't think of any other Australian cities. Ali is growing on me as a champ. He knows his stuff, despite the category hopping.

• Love 4

Weren't we talking about antipodes recently?  The antipodal points of much of the US are in the ocean, where the nearest city is Perth.  That's how I got it.

• Love 6

I don't know if I'm dense or if I just spaced out, but I didn't understand the "MALE MAN" category. I understand the mailman/male man play on words, but how did it relate to the questions other than that all the answers were men?

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I guessed Canberra,

I remember there was a question on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" looking for the capital of Australia.  The audience went 40-50 something percent for Sydney with the others split between Melbourne. Canberra, and Perth. That contestant went home.  

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, SHD said:

I don't know if I'm dense or if I just spaced out, but I didn't understand the "MALE MAN" category. I understand the mailman/male man play on words, but how did it relate to the questions other than that all the answers were men?

If you find out I'd love to know. 

Ali put his buzzer down too soon at the end, but he was impressive. He should've had a runaway. I had Big Little Lies and Funny Girl. FJ came instantly to me, but I'm a bit obsessed with Australia. I loved the word problems, which is probably the first time I've ever written that sentence. They were a little long, but I enjoyed them. 

I'm still really meh on Ali. He comes off to me as smug, but I didn't think the other contestant many of you called smug was smug at all, so what do I know? I'm not upset when he wins, but I wouldn't care if he lost, unless he lost to a real douche. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

How many more times is Alex going to remind us that Ali is from Canada?

And tell him that his payoff is in American money. It's worth so much more than those shekels they use for cash in Canada.

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought the "math problems" were funny, I just wish Alex hadn't eaten up time telling us how weird the category was.

I liked that category too. Although I think they stole the idea from Ellen.

2 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I heard/read the clue as southeast Australia so it was a big DUH moment for me when it really was southwestern. Perth is the only major city there. Again, it pays to pay attention. Which, I guess, is just a good rule for life.

2 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I wish the Young Sheldon actor success

One isn't suppose to rank on children, but I wish he would stop overacting and being precocious. We need to add him to our drinking game since he's on this show more often than Potent Potables.

I'm putting the Gypsy (Romani) curse on Ali: I hope he loses, he's been on the show long enough. *wink cough wink*

I don't find him smug in the least. Just the opposite. And I don't mean cough wink about that.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Big Little Lies, Funny Girl, and plumeria.

Those were my three gets, too.

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

I got Big Little Lies, Funny Girl and the Divine Mind. My stepfather was a Christian Scientist. When he and my mother married, I was already an adult, but we had some interesting conversations about his beliefs. He wasn't extreme when it came to medicine, which was good. He went to doctors when he had cancer and didn't discourage my mother from going to doctors. Where his beliefs came into play most was regarding routine illnesses. For example, he wouldn't take drugs for a headache or cold. He used natural remedies, which were actually pretty sensible.

My husband was a Christian Scientist, but for the life of me I couldn't remember Divine Mind. I mean, I couldn't bring it to... mind. *sorry*

I didn't know that a chipmunk was a squirrel.

For FJ I guessed Adelaide. I just checked a map, and boy was I mixed up. I was picturing the Indian Ocean being on Australia's eastern coast. DUH! I also thought Perth was on the east coast. In short, I don't know nothin'.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

There's plenty of room for you up there, Clanstarling. My piano will accommodate numerous members of the Women Authors Singers. Just dress appropriately. You know, like Brookside.

5b2c643d2d3bc_MAEWEST.jpg.b70a249fa3d4eb9db90c6c5553789b1d.jpg  Will this do?

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And tell him that his payoff is in American money. It's worth so much more than those shekels they use for cash in Canada.

LOL! They're actually loonies ($1) and toonies ($2) and the paper money is blue, purple, green, etc. Such purty stuff that's become more plastic than paper.

• Love 5
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Can someone explain the "male man" category? 

I don't remember any of the clues and have already played J6 so can't see the category there. And I'm too tired to watch the episode again. I thought it was just questions that had men for answers. I didn't find it odd at all, given the way this show likes to spotlight Women Authors (cough), Female Detectives and so on. So Male Men is a pretty cool category IMO.

Well, that was a lot of words that went nowhere.

Maybe tomorrow I'll watch the ep again, then dazzle everyone with my brilliant insight into the category. (cough wink)

4 minutes ago, SHD said:

So far the answer has been "no." 

That's what Magic 8 Ball said.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

My piano will accommodate numerous members of the Women Authors Singers. Just dress appropriately.

Is this appropriate?

I saw Streisand on B'way in Funny Girl and one of my stories is from a cat's viewpoint and starts out, "Hello gorgeous" and I'm married to an Aussie, so I got Perth.

a barbra.jpg

Shoot. Why didn't the picture go under "Is this appropriate?" And why is it so big (sorry, kids)?

• Love 7

I like Ali, and he seemed a lot more confident Thursday. He's not in wink, wink territory for me yet, but I have a feeling he will be sticking around for a while. I think Alex's 'good for you' <drink!> to Justin the swayer was genuine & not of the snarky variety.

The word problems were fun, but I scanned down to the relevant information after the 1st one. 

TS I got were Big Little Lies & Funny Girl. FJ was pretty much luck, because Perth was the only city I could think of on the SW Australia coast, but I had no idea if it was actually right. Dr. Toothbrush guessed Darwin, but then remembered it was far N. His parents went to Australia a few years after we got married, and one of the things they brought back for us was a really cool map that has been hanging in every house we've lived in since then. So evidently I've absorbed quite a bit about Australian geography in these past 22 or so years. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, SHD said:

So far the answer has been "no." 

I think they were all men who did something particularly daring, like climbing Everest, but it was pretty vague. The main point seemed to be punning on "male/mail" as a follow up to a category name about letters.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I think they were all men who did something particularly daring, like climbing Everest, but it was pretty vague.

I hope to God this was not the case; that would be far more egregious than women authors.  What's on tonight?  Girly men, ie, men who are famous for doing something safe?

• Love 2

I still have the recording on my DVR, so I'll have to rewatch the Men category, or whatever it was called. Maybe I was still hungover from the other night's Good-for-you's, but I completely missed what the category was about.

5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

The word problems were fun, but I scanned down to the relevant information after the 1st one. 

Me too. Yada yada yada then the meat of the clue.

• Love 3

The word problems reminded me of another type of clue that the J! writers like. Example, in Medieval History: "[obscure event] occurred in 1142 in this city, which is now the capital of France."

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Is this appropriate?

I saw Streisand on B'way in Funny Girl and one of my stories is from a cat's viewpoint and starts out, "Hello gorgeous" and I'm married to an Aussie, so I got Perth.

a barbra.jpg

Shoot. Why didn't the picture go under "Is this appropriate?" And why is it so big (sorry, kids)?

I struggled with that too. In a post I didn't share, it worked when I typed the first sentence, put in the picture, and then hit enter and typed the second. In the one I did post, I just put the picture in and typed the sentence (without hitting enter). Back when you could access html for the entire post, I could have positioned things properly.

As for the picture, if you hover your mouse over one of the corners (bottom left works best for me), you can drag the photo in and make it smaller. It's finicky, though.

• Love 1

I knew Funny Girl, but couldn't get it from my brain to my mouth.  My dad was stationed in Darwin during WWII and I knew that was north.  By the by, what IS the capital of Australia? 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Driad said:

In case this is ever a clue, a Darwin stubby is a "small" bottle of beer that holds around 2 litres.

Must it always be beer? Because I bought a Darwin stubby of lemonade yesterday.

12 hours ago, Brookside said:

Can someone explain the "male man" category? 

I think J writers are trolling here and have read our problems with all categories being about men, then they have to specify women/female in those category names. We should be happy that we are being recognized now in category heads, even if it is in sort of a snarky way. But we understand and appreciate snark here, right?

4 hours ago, Brookside said:
5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I think they were all men who did something particularly daring, like climbing Everest, but it was pretty vague.

I hope to God this was not the case; that would be far more egregious than women authors.  What's on tonight?  Girly men, ie, men who are famous for doing something safe?

See my comment above. J PTV is being recognized on the show now. So ... Good for US! *drink*

I was stunned that a man from Bahrain living in Canada knew Doug Jones beat Roy Moore in Georgia. How many Americans could answer that one? FIVE snaps up for Ali. I followed that election and couldn't get Jones' name to come up in time.

• Love 12
(edited)
58 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

By the by, what IS the capital of Australia? 

Canberra.

I was stunned that a man from Bahrain living in Canada knew Doug Jones beat Roy Moore in Georgia.

I couldn't remember his name either but that election was covered probably as much here in Canada as it was in US.  If you watched the news at all, you knew about it.

I've forgotten the question in whatever Religions category that was, but middle guy answered Hindu, which was wrong. Then Ali answered Islam, which was correct, and Alex waffled with yes, Muslim.  I expected Ali to respond with "It's Islam, Alex.".

Edited by Trey
Added stuff
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was stunned that a man from Bahrain living in Canada knew Doug Jones beat Roy Moore in Georgia.

It was Alabama. They were running to take over the seat vacated by our current Attorney General, Jeff Sessions. 

• Love 3