Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Someone upthread was talking about Carls Jr/Hardee's, speculating that the name Hardee's would go away now that they're advertising both. Out here they're Carl's Jr, and I'd only recently heard the Hardee's name attached. Last night I saw the first commercial with just one name - Hardee's.

That was me upthread. Back in "the day," Hardee's bought all the Sandee's restaurants in the Midwest which is when it appeared in my area. I worked for Hardee's regional ad agency in the '80s; headquarters were in St. Louis then. It was the fourth largest burger chain when California-based Carl's Jr. bought it (for $327 million!) in 1997. Carl's kept the menu and look so as not to make Hardee's regular customers upset, and only gradually introduced some of Carl's menu items and look/signage (the star). I'm surprised the Hardee's name is being used in the west, except everyone travels nowadays so Californians can feel safe eating at a Hardee's/Carl's Jr. in Indianapolis now.

Me, I'm waiting for In And Out Burger to broach the Rockies.

16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I heard "long and narrow" and said galley. Then when they mentioned railroads ...

Right away I thought "shotgun kitchen?" then the railroad thing gave me Pullman. There's a Pullman neighborhood in south Chicago, where Pullman built row housing for workers in his rail-car factory. I guess "Pullman" means anything long and narrow. In architecture, that is.

• Love 4
(edited)
28 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That was me upthread. Back in "the day," Hardee's bought all the Sandee's restaurants in the Midwest which is when it appeared in my area. I worked for Hardee's regional ad agency in the '80s; headquarters were in St. Louis then. It was the fourth largest burger chain when California-based Carl's Jr. bought it (for $327 million!) in 1997. Carl's kept the menu and look so as not to make Hardee's regular customers upset, and only gradually introduced some of Carl's menu items and look/signage (the star). I'm surprised the Hardee's name is being used in the west, except everyone travels nowadays so Californians can feel safe eating at a Hardee's/Carl's Jr. in Indianapolis now.

Me, I'm waiting for In And Out Burger to broach the Rockies.

That's pretty interesting, thanks Saber. The only burger chain I remember when I lived east of the Rockies (back in the early 70's) was Burger King. Maybe McDonald's. We usually stopped at diners when we went anywhere. Still love that diner smell.

They've only started adding Hardee's to the name out here on the west coast recently - within the last year, I think. And then, as I said, the other day there was an ad that was just Hardee's. I don't know what's going on. But I do love their burgers and breakfasts - though I have to eat them sparingly.

We just got an In and Out locally a few months ago (in Oregon). I'd eaten at one in California before, and my take is still pretty much the same. Meh, with the weirdest fries I've ever eaten. Fries I actually stopped eating before I finished them all. But lots of people love them, so mileage definitely varies.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I knew it as Bob's Big Boy in California  (at the time, the hamburger was so big - to me - that I'd squash it down and everyone would laugh at me). You know, back when the quarter pounder was a big burger.

I went to college in Columbus, Ohio, home of the first Wendy's. The Wendy's burger was square, with a hole in the middle, so it was "different." (Not sure if it's still square and holed.) The Wendy's single was so huge, you'd have to share, and the double or triple, no way could one person eat an entire one of either.

Hardee's breakfast biscuits used to be quite large and filling, too. I was surprised when I got one a while back: snack sized now!

I remember the first Burger King, the burgers would go through the "flame broiler" on a moving rack where everyone could see them. A Whopper was a delicious marvel of modern fast-food technology.

Yeah, times -- and fast-food -- change.

37 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Meh, with the weirdest fries I've ever eaten.

My vote for best fries is Checkers/Rallys and Popeye's. Both are coated with something delicious before being fried. Right now Checkers fries are $1, regardless of size. I need to take a trip to town.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Me, I'm waiting for In And Out Burger to broach the Rockies

Sadly, we only have 3 Hardees left in the Denver Metro area.  There are now Carl's Jr everywhere, though.

In and Out Burger is opening their first outlet in Colorado Springs by the end of the year.  They're planning on eventually opening 50 throughout the state.  I went to one once in California.  It apparently wasn't memorable because I can't remember if it was any better or worse than other fast food joints.

Wendy's are still square.  There isn't a hole, though.

Growing up, in Nebraska, we had Dog n Suds.  They had the absolute best chocolate malt I've ever had.  Now I'm totally jonesing for one.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Popeye's

When I go to Louisiana I have to get chicken from Popeyes. I’ve tried it in other locales but it never seems to have the right amount of spice. I wonder that because people in New Orleans love spicy, that they use more. 

@CarpeDiem54 Oh, now you have me jonesing for a chocolate malt. Carnation used to make a malted powder that when added to chocolate milk it would get the right flavor. I’m going to have to go in search of it. 

I just ate breakfast and this thread has made me hungry again. 

• Love 2

By "fry" do you mean deep fry? Because they do that now, and always have, as far as I remember, which is pretty far. I worked there in the 70's.

Last JITB taco I had used a preformed taco shell. Not worth the calories. This was in Washington State, so maybe there are regional variations

I totally ran the auto abbrev category, but I've been in the industry most of my adult life, and my husband was as well, and he was exclusively on the repair side. NEITHER of us remembered anyone ever using O2S as an abbreviation for oxygen sensor. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The Wendy's single was so huge, you'd have to share, and the double or triple, no way could one person eat an entire one of either.

I have no doubt that I could. When I'm hungry, no burger is too big. I could eat one the size of a dinner plate. :-)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Carnation used to make a malted powder that when added to chocolate milk it would get the right flavor. I’m going to have to go in search of it. 

It's still stocked in the stores around me in the Midwest. There also is a chocolate malted version which, IMO, is not as tasty as the regular. It is delicious eaten directly from the container. You know, like the rest of you eat Nutella.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, opus said:

No Hardees or Carl's Jr. here. I am, however, within walking distance of a White Castle.

You are so lucky. 

We called Dog 'N Suds Arf and Barf.  They sold their root beer in waxed cartons shaped like megaphones.  I buy the bottled root beer occasionally.   It's not as good as I remember.

• Love 2

Mmmmm animal style hamburgers from In-n-Out. I hope they travel further up Oregon some day. I have heard that the fries are better when ordered well-done, but I just opt for a second burger instead of fries whenever I go. 

• Love 2

I saw a Dog n Suds just last week, driving around somewhere in northern Arkansas.  There used to be a coin laundry/beer joint in Atlanta called Duds n Suds.

I can eat the malt-flavored Ovaltine (with the yellow label) straight out of the jar, too.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There used to be a coin laundry/beer joint in Atlanta called Duds n Suds.

There was one in Raleigh, too.  My fellow grad students and I would gather there to do our laundry occasionally.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It's still stocked in the stores around me in the Midwest. There also is a chocolate malted version which, IMO, is not as tasty as the regular. It is delicious eaten directly from the container. You know, like the rest of you eat Nutella.

Ha. Found it on Amazon. Also some birch beer! I just got the regular as I will add it to chocolate milk. Yum. 

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Last JITB taco I had used a preformed taco shell. Not worth the calories.

Unless they've changed since the 70's (I doubt it), you take a frozen folded tortilla that has meat in it, put it in the taco holder, then submerge in the fryer. When you remove it, you gently open the tortilla, insert half a slice of American cheese and some shredded lettuce.

2 hours ago, Pallida said:

Mmmmm animal style hamburgers from In-n-Out. I hope they travel further up Oregon some day. I have heard that the fries are better when ordered well-done, but I just opt for a second burger instead of fries whenever I go. 

That's my one complaint about In-N-Out, the fries aren't cooked enuf. I like them more crisp. I didn't know you could order them well-done. I do like them with Special Sauce instead of ketchup.

I tried animal-style but didn't care for it. Not my style. :)

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Pallida said:

If you're down in Southern Oregon - exit 58's where you want to go.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

That's my one complaint about In-N-Out, the fries aren't cooked enuf. I like them more crisp. I didn't know you could order them well-done. I do like them with Special Sauce instead of ketchup.

It must vary. The ones we had (both in CA and OR) were crispy enough to bear a vague resemblance to Potato Stix (those snacks in a can, not sure they exist any more) only not as juicy. Yes, I mean that the canned snack is juicier and tastier (which isn't saying much). So even more well done doesn't sound like a winning touch for me. But opinions vary wildly on this point. Give me Carl's Jr/Hardee's any day.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

One word: PLUMBUM!

HA!  I pre-called plumbum when the category was revealed!  LOL  The writers really must like that word -- and why not?  It's a great word.

Okay, Josh can stop with the tiger claw thing already.  And the waving.

My immediate thought for FJ was Cumberland Gap because that's where three states meet, and I live not terribly far from there, but then I read the rest of the clue, and got Harper's Ferry in plenty of time to write it down.

I also got Hell or High Water, gymnastics, Psalms, Jude, oysters, and Dutch Boy paint.

• Love 5
(edited)

Wasn't that the very same FJ category as last Friday's game? I didn't get it anyhow.

I preferred Gary to Josh but that doesn't matter because Josh won.

My ts's were Psalms, dining room and styrofoam.

It did look as though Gary had a stiff neck.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I did not understand why Gary kept his head tilted to the side for most of the game.....did he have a bad neck?  He could not see the board?  I found it distracting...

That and he seemed to have a small facial tic. Definitely distracting. 

I got herd/heard, crocodile, dining room, oysters, psalms and Dutch Boy paint. I guessed Dixie instead of getting styrofoam. Something came up so I only sort of heard FJ and didn’t get it.  I enjoyed the “Clue” category. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got herd/heard, crocodile, dining room, oysters, psalms and Dutch Boy paint. I guessed Dixie instead of getting styrofoam. Something came up so I only sort of heard FJ and didn’t get it.  I enjoyed the “Clue” category. 

Josh guessed Solo cups, but it was awkward because it asked for a brand, but what DuPont trademarked as Styrofoam is building insulation not the cups.

I can't believe they missed oysters. Pirates would look for pearls in oysters. I got Harper's Ferry from armory and what is now three states. 

Did they not see Peter Pan? 

• Love 3

I was so smug and confident in my FJ answer that I thought I instagetted. I just waited out the time and didn't reread or anything. I said Valley Forge, thinking PA/DE/NJ. Now that I am looking at a map, it's not that close to DE or NJ. Gah. Plus the year was off. Oh and to make this even more humiliating, I live in MD, one of the three Harper's Ferry states, and I've been there several times. Boo hiss.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

My nearsighted eyes thought one of the clues on the board said "indented servants." 

To paraphrase "Jaws" ... I'm gonna need a bigger TV.

You don't need a bigger TV.   That's what it said.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 7
(edited)

Damn you, Josh!  Will you ever get off my tv?  <wink, wink>

I still find his wave and tiger claw adorable.  Anyone else would get an automatic smack to the head.

Tonight I got gymnastics and oysters.  I said West Point for FJ, even though I had no confidence in my answer. At least I was right about something.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 4

I was worried about Josh in round 1. He seemed off his game. I'm sure it's difficult to repeat after a long break answer was happy to see him pull away in DJ. 

I didn't have many TS today. I missed FJ and was slapping my forehead after Josh's answer was revealed. 

My gets were Psalms, Jude DD, oysters, and Dutch Boy. 

• Love 6

I got gymnastics, oysters and Dutch Boy. I didn't get a lot of the answers that the contestants got.

What was with Trebek saying "That's unfortunate" to Kate when she didn't have a FJ answer. She was in last place and the game was a runaway for Josh.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I did not understand why Gary kept his head tilted to the side for most of the game.....did he have a bad neck?  He could not see the board?  I found it distracting...

That and he seemed to have a small facial tic. Definitely distracting.

I didn't see or notice anything about Gary. Not sure what that says about my viewing habits. But on the plus side, he didn't bother me either.

I had no idea for FJ, so I remain the Biggest Loser on this thread for not knowing FJ answers. I think I've gotten one in the last two or maybe even three (or more) weeks. Yes, of course I've heard of Harper's Ferry. But what and where is it? Got me. I guess in Trebek's opinion, I'm unfortunate too.

5 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Damn you, Josh!  Will you ever get off my tv?  <wink, wink>

I still find his wave and tiger claw adorable.  Anyone else would get an automatic smack to the head.

So much yes to both of the above. I just wish I didn't have to see him wave and tiger claw again tomorrow. <wink wink>

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

What was with Trebek saying "That's unfortunate" to Kate when she didn't have a FJ answer. She was in last place and the game was a runaway for Josh.

It's not that she could have won, it's that she could have come in second or Trebek was just patronizing. 

• Love 3

It was a good game for me. I got gymnastics, Psalms, Jude and Ecclesiates. Basically I ran the Bible category. My Masters of Divinity ought to be good for something. Also crocodile, dining room, pysters and plumbum (pre-guessed that one). FJ wasn't an instaget, but I was aiming for it, when the hubs came in and announced Harper's Ferry.

Here's a fun way to remember who wrote certain books of the Bible:

King David and King Solomon
Led merry merry lives,
With many, many lady friends,
And many many wives;
But when old age crept over them —
With many, many qualms! —
King Solomon wrote the Proverbs
And King David wrote the Psalms.

by James Ball Naylor (1860-1945) American physician, writer, poet, politician

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Wasn't that the very same FJ category as last Friday's game?

I think it was. Didn't get that one either.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I had no idea for FJ, so I remain the Biggest Loser on this thread for not knowing FJ answers. I think I've gotten one in the last two or maybe even three (or more) weeks. Yes, of course I've heard of Harper's Ferry. But what and where is it? Got me. I guess in Trebek's opinion, I'm unfortunate too.

Well, I'll join you, so we can be Winklevoss Losers. ;) My husband tried to give me a clue (John Brown) - but JB is so firmly planted in Kansas in my mind, that I couldn't get there.

• Love 3

Winklevoss Losers. :D

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

HA!  I pre-called plumbum when the category was revealed!  LOL  The writers really must like that word -- and why not?  It's a great word.

Yes, my new nickname. :) I'm sure everyone here got plumbum. When the category came up, that's the first thing that popped to mind, but I was sure they wouldn't use it again... Actually, they didn't really use it before, but close enough.

I got heard/herd, oysters, and Dutch Boy (although I said Little Dutch Boy -- Would that have counted?).

I couldn't remember the title of that Jeff Bridges film, Hell or High Water. It was good.

For some reason, instead of O. Henry, I said Saki.

I didn't have a guess for FJ. I considered West Point, but thought it existed before that time. DOH when Harper's Ferry was revealed. I visited there. Beautiful place.

• Love 3

I didn't see tonight's game, but read the clues via the archive.

I apparently don't watch very many Jeff Bridges movies.

The "What are the cows' cows?" wrong answer cracked me up.

Since I like the game Clue, and have the film memorized, I liked that category.

None of the TS stunned me tonight, but Dutch Boy, Styrofoam, and oysters did surprise me a bit.

My nearsighted eyes thought one of the clues on the board said "indented servants." 

It did (per the archive, and confirmed via an internet search that it is indeed how the governor's proclamation read).

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It did (per the archive, and confirmed via an internet search that it is indeed how the governor's proclamation read).

Thank you, @Bastet. I learned something new today; that makes it a good day. 

• Love 2

<singing> Crook, Crook, Crickety-Crockity-
Crickety-Crook
The Crock is after Captain-

Oops, sorry, couldn't resist!

Can these people not decipher a clue? I yelled DUTCH BOY so loud I scared my poor dog (and at age 13 she's partially deaf...or has selective hearing).

YAY...I mean boo Josh (heh!)

• Love 4

Josh won again - boo hiss <wink wink>  His waving & tiger hands would be annoying from anyone else, but to quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction, "personality goes a long way". 

TS I got were gymnastics, heard herd, beech beach, Psalms, Jude (Gary's missed DD; got it from the "Hey" - had no idea there was a Book of Jude), crocodile, Dutch Boy. I had no clue for FJ, but we sure got plumbum! Could not believe that was a response. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

So glad to see Josh's smiling face back again, but I had never noticed him doing the claw thing Alex imitated.....

I have, and it truly annoys me.  I’ll be over here at my table for one, hoping his claws go away soon.  No wink wink, either.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

Did anyone else see homophobic rather than homophonic?

raises hand

5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I got so excited with the Jeff Bridges category because he's right up there with Clint as far as my "men I'd like to meet."  I just wish they had picked some movies that weren't science fiction or the unfunny (to me) big Lebowski.  He's has done such fine work in so many things and I have loved him since The Last Picture Show.  I'm guessing he's also one of very few in Hollywood who has been married to the same woman for over 30 years.  Hell and High Water is really good (but I do love westerns)

So glad to see Josh's smiling face back again, but I had never noticed him doing the claw thing Alex imitated.....

I got a crush on Jeff as a young barely teen after seeing him in Rancho Deluxe. I love him, even if he is getting pretty mumbley these days. I had a crush on Clint when I was much younger and he played Rowdy. That crush faded away with time.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/21/2018 at 7:43 PM, DrScottie said:

I can't believe they missed oysters. Pirates would look for pearls in oysters. I got Harper's Ferry from armory and what is now three states. 

Interesting connection, oysters and Peter Pan.

On 5/21/2018 at 9:36 PM, Clanstarling said:

Well, I'll join you, so we can be Winklevoss Losers. ;)

Don't I wish, since they are the Winklevoss Bitcoin Billionaires now. I'm up for that.

On 5/22/2018 at 1:44 AM, dcalley said:

I'd never heard of a Pullman kitchen, but I had heard of a Pullman loaf (of bread).

How do you know this? This tidbit of information amazed me, so thanks! Watch for Pullman/Pushman category coming soon to a Jeopardy show near you.

On 5/22/2018 at 2:58 AM, tvaddict44 said:

I got so excited with the Jeff Bridges category because he's right up there with Clint as far as my "men I'd like to

Please forgive me for mentally finishing this sentence for you since the above sentence broke as shown and continued (boringly, I might add) on the next line.

On 5/22/2018 at 1:23 AM, Toothbrush said:

Josh won again - boo hiss <wink wink>  His waving & tiger hands would be annoying from anyone else, but to quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction, "personality goes a long way". 

This! I never noticed his tiger claws, although I thought once he was playing the piano. My tv screen is small and usually there's some weather scroll going along the bottom. I was worried about Josh at the beginning of yesterday's game, and was disappointed he pulled it out for a runaway. I guess we have to suffer through him again yet today. <wink wink sly smile>

On 5/22/2018 at 8:20 AM, Clanstarling said:

I had a crush on Clint when I was much younger and he played Rowdy.

Once again, we are the Winklevoss Twins. Every tv western had the hottie mc hot sidekick and I crushed on every one of them.

ETA: I studied up on Harpers Ferry last night, and found it very interesting. Only a few hundred (or "several" hundred) people live there. And now I'm good if Jeopardy ever wants to make it a full category. Bring it on, Trebek!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

How do you know this? This tidbit of information amazed me, so thanks!

I encountered the Pullman loaf pan while looking around online for some regular loaf pans that were made in the USA, and it just stuck with me. I didn't buy one, though. And the regular loaf pan I did buy was a disappointment (the nonstick coating didn't last long despite my best efforts), so I switched to good ol' Pyrex. You have to be careful to grease it well, but there's no concern about scratching and it can go in the dishwasher.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

ETA: I studied up on Harpers Ferry last night, and found it very interesting. Only a few hundred (or "several" hundred) people live there. And now I'm good if Jeopardy ever wants to make it a full category. Bring it on, Trebek!

It is small, and is mostly historic buildings and sites, but it's fun to walk around. There's some nice restaurants and ice cream places. It's more like a historic town/village center rather than a place where people live.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 3