Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Well, that started off as a good game, but kind of crashed and burned there towards the end.  FJ was an instaget for me, and I was surprised that none of the contestants were even close. 

As a pedantic aside, Salmonella is caused by a bacterium, not a virus!  And the name of the bacterium is... Salmonella!  I got that TS -- cancer -- as well as edentate (thanks, Latin!), netiquette, Beethoven, and the extremely surprising miss of lederhosen. 

I was really hoping the woman would win.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Well, that started off as a good game, but kind of crashed and burned there towards the end.  FJ was an instaget for me, and I was surprised that none of the contestants were even close. 

As a pedantic aside, Salmonella is caused by a bacterium, not a virus!  And the name of the bacterium is... Salmonella!  I got that TS -- cancer -- as well as edentate (thanks, Latin!), netiquette, Beethoven, and the extremely surprising miss of lederhosen. 

I didn't understand her FJ bet. Either I suck at wagering or the contestants do. I'm often baffled by their wagers. 

I had netiquette, Beethoven DD, lederhosen in an oddly worded clue, Zubin Mehta which I learned from Jeopardy previously, and Charleston in an instaget.

Gone With the Wind is one of my all in categories. It's my mom's favorite book and movie, and my first and middle names come from it. I'm not a fan, but have read it and seen it more times than I've wanted to. 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

While I couldn't think of netiquette, it is good to see that we abide by it here. If it ends in -oma, it's a cancer.

19 minutes ago, teebax said:

lederhosen in an oddly worded clue

I normally don't associate mountain climbing with shorts, but then I thought of the yodely guy as Drew Carey calls him from The Price is Right Cliffhangers game who is wearing lederhosen. Then it hit me. 

I originally wanted Scott to win. After it was clear he had no shot, I wanted Erika to win too. 

As for FJ, Charleston popped into my head for some reason even though it's been years since I read the book or saw the movie. 

• Love 8

I don’t even remember what the lederhosen clue said, but I immediately recognized them in the photo.  It’s possible I was helped by recently having seen European Vacation, with Chevy Chase in his lederhosen, but I prefer to think I knew it from Denholm Elliot’s “drunken” observation that Jamie Lee Curtis was wearing lederhosen on the train in Trading Places.

• Love 4

I have never heard the word netiquette

Not a great game.  I liked the middle teacher and his comment about engaging his students before class though with questions. 

I would find that curious (and hilarious) if I were at the Superdome. I'd wonder just what was being sold. I got schooled on "soda" when a friend from California visited me in Illinois (when I was 30 something) and told me pop was really soda, so stop calling it pop. I loved your map, GenerationX, although I think it reflects how people move now. A map from 1950 would be more solid colors me thinks. Some years ago I went to Charlotte, N.C. to do a story on party rentals in that city. The store owner told me doing coming-out or deb balls used to be a huge Southern thing, but so many northerners have moved it, it's ruining the panache of "The Old South" and its traditions. And some of his business!

Very few in Charlotte are from Charlotte anymore.  Its all Midwesterners and east coast, especially NY/NJ. 

I just call soft drinks by the name.  I don't normally call it coke or pop or soda.  In fact I hate the words pop and soda generically used.  They bug me for some reason.  Sounds old fashioned to me. 

• Love 3

Steve! Thank goodness you stopped guessing and got out of the red.

Scott! "Good for you!" DRINK!

26 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I normally don't associate mountain climbing with shorts, but then I thought of the yodely guy as Drew Carey calls him from The Price is Right Cliffhangers game who is wearing lederhosen.

This made me laugh. Lederhosen are quite the rage lately. I was reminded of the Ancestry.com commercial where the guy says he's German, then found out through Ancestry that he's Scottish so traded his lederhosen for a kilt. Still, the clue was clumsy so the photo was helpful.

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Some years ago I went to Charlotte, N.C. to do a story on party rentals in that city.

How coincidental that I just posted about going to Charlotte and the FJ answer was CHARLOTTE! Yeay! Finally I answer FJ correctly.

Wait ... what? You mean it's NOT Charlotte? The heck.

I even saw GWTW at the theatre last summer and sat in the second row, I love that movie. So much for short-term memory.

• Love 8

Well, Hottie Scottie creepy/dreamy eyes certainly flamed out.  Why did both Erika and Steve wager so much?

I got netiquette (DD), lederhosen, Verdi, and Zubin Mehta.

I'm starting off the FJ week with a bang.  I guessed Charlotte.

• Love 8

I was only half-watching the game. Maybe even just a quarter-watching. I'll do better tomorrow.

I did get Zubin Mehta. I associate him with my school days, so I just assumed he wasn't alive anymore.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I did get Zubin Mehta. I associate him with my school days, so I just assumed he wasn't alive anymore.

He's been spotted having lunch with Fannie Flagg.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I was only half-watching the game. Maybe even just a quarter-watching. I'll do better tomorrow.

I was drifting in and out as well. Something about Steve annoys the hell out of me and I felt like his voice was all I heard so at some points the game just became white noise. Poor Hottie Scottie got creamed.

I'm just glad Erica didn't win; I'm still salty about her missing that James Meredith clue. Yes I'm petty like that.

For TS I got scholarship, cancer, and lederhosen. FJ was an instaget because I remember there was a similar clue about Charleston's name origin a while ago and it stuck with me because I didn't realize the Charles in Charleston was royalty #myjeopardyeducation

Oh and this, going into FJ, was so very unnecessary:  “Scott, still alive – believe it or not". Shut up, Alex.

• Love 7

I missed tonight's episode, as I did Friday's, but at least tonight I could go to the archive and "play" the game there (I didn't bother with Friday's as I'd already spoiled myself by reading here over the weekend).  I don't set a timer or anything, but I try to answer within a short time. 

The first round was a breeze for me.  The poetry clues were Poetry 101, so I actually knew them all (it's not a strong category for me), and other than one clue - the Dork Diaries one - I ran the round;  I even got the scholarship TS (not from knowing that there was such a song [or even having heard of the artist], mind you, but just from the wording of the clue; what else would it be?).

In the DJ round, I did almost as well, so it was a good game for me.  I'm surprised The Wiz took two wrong guesses to get to.  I got the Newsies TS, but that going unanswered surprised me far less in that category than the former garnering two incorrect guesses.

My big surprises for the game were the netiquette DD being an "I got nothin'" clue for the contestant who landed on it - since I only read, not saw, did he at least have an "Oh, duh!" reaction when Alex revealed the answer? - and the lederhosen TS; even without having the picture available, that was an instaget for me.

I hate GWTW, so for FJ I think that helped me put the book/film out of my mind and approach the clue from a geography/sociological standpoint; I am great with U.S. capitals, so I just ran through states infamous for being the worst of the south (Rhett probably meant his quote the opposite, but that's how I took it) looking for one with a name in the capital and it was an easy answer.

• Love 4

I was surprised by the netiquette miss. I’ve taken and taught too many online classes, so it was an instaget for me. I’m not a parent, but I thought many traditional classes have online discussion options now too. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

Bleh. Several questionable accents.

Yes, the Churchill one really irked. I really dislike the accents and impressions when they give away the answer. Alex tried to do a Southern accent for Huey Long but seemed to abandon it partway. And it seemed he was trying for some kind of Middle Eastern accent for Sadat.

I too was surprised by the TS in FJ. 

I just ran through states infamous for being the worst of the south (Rhett probably meant his quote the opposite, but that's how I took it) looking for one with a name in the capital and it was an easy answer.

It kind of depends in which part of the book he said it. He spent years getting away from Charleston, but ultimately went back there after he left Scarlett. Scarlett found the place boring and stuffy.

• Love 6

Being on my Road Trip, I'm in Thayer, MO - in between Branson to the north and Arkansas (within spitting distance) to the south. I'm smack in between the state line and the "Welcome to Missouri" sign. I go to the "When's Jeopardy! on?" site, plug in the zip code, only to discover Springfield, MO shows J! at FIVE in afternoon. As it was 6:54, needless to say, I missed Monday's show. But I did have a luscious coconut meringue pie at dinner (along with a big chef's salad).

Consider this an e-postcard.

• Love 10
(edited)

I already deleted the episode, but I think the lederhosen clue had the word leather in it. Not to mention the picture of leather shorts. Leather/leder - although a lot of Jeopardy questions rely on Latin word orgins (edentate, for example), English really is a Germanic language. Netiquette - people need to stop trying to make that word happen. No one ever knows what it is.

FJ was an instaget.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 3

I minimally had lederhosen and Charleston.

Alex, we know you love your accents.  And, yes, your French is spot on.  But, as my kids say when I'm making a dad joke or trying to use modern expressions:  Stop.  Please stop.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Yes, the Churchill one really irked. I really dislike the accents and impressions when they give away the answer. Alex tried to do a Southern accent for Huey Long but seemed to abandon it partway. And it seemed he was trying for some kind of Middle Eastern accent for Sadat.

I too really hate this when the accent or impression acts as a hint. I hated his Churchill, but his Sadat was even worse.

• Love 6

I liked all 3 players Monday, but I think there are only 2 semi-finalists who I don't necessarily care for, so no doubt they will be the other 2 finalists. 

I'm a little surprised that Long was not a BMS since Huey P.'s brother, Earl, was also a governor of LA in the '30s. But I guess since the state was not specified, no first name was needed. AFAIK, their cousin Kit was not in politics ;-) 

TS I got were cancer, netiquette (Scott's missed DD), Beethoven (Steve's missed DD), leiderhosen, Verdi, Mehta. FJ took a few seconds, but I got it in time. 

11 hours ago, forumfish said:

Have you found your bran cells yet, @Toothbrush?  Hee! So appropriate, given the discussion re: spelling!

LMAO!!!  

15 hours ago, DrScottie said:

If it ends in -oma, it's a cancer.

This. 

• Love 6
(edited)
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But the definition of "galop" is a lively ballroom dance in duple time, popular in the late 18th century. It has nothing to do with gallop, which is what a horse does, and not in a ballroom. I guess if you overlook the misspelling, then "galop" would give it (Hi ho Silver ...) awaaaaay. It's a case of a wrong making a right.

Yes, I know, but the tempo of the dance fits a galloping horse.  Which may be why the producers chose that bit for The Lone Ranger.

17 hours ago, teebax said:

Gone With the Wind is one of my all in categories. It's my mom's favorite book and movie, and my first and middle names come from it. I'm not a fan, but have read it and seen it more times than I've wanted to. 

Ah, a fellow GWTW hostage!  It is my mom's favorite as well.

I did surprisingly badly (to me) in the conductor category, saying Wagner for Beethoven even though the date was completely wrong, forgetting Zubin Mehta (Zubie!!) and blurting out Vivaldi, although I did correct it to Verdi.  I was disappointed that there was no Sir Neville Marriner and the Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields clue.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I was annoyed that they didn't make the contestant specify Huey Long versus Earl Long.  Or Kit Long.

I always answer Howie Long when I mean Huey Long. So I would totally try to get away with just saying "Long." I'm not sure why I keep doing that.

• Love 4

I just found out over the weekend that another Central New Yorker is on, please tell me she won’t be on tonight since I’m going to be getting my grey hairs did during the show.

I did watch last night and did not get FJ because I was stuck on royal and Louisville would not get out of my head, regardless how foolish that is.

The sarcoma - cancer miss was inexcusable.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I always answer Howie Long when I mean Huey Long.

That was still better than me yelling "Huey Lewis."

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

More complaining from the road...Little Rock airs J! at ELEVEN AM. Sheesh.

Those damn Razorbacks. "Woo pig sooie!"

• Love 7

Hooray for Claire! Glad she won, especially since she teaches a "dead" language that no one studies any more. (Ha) I loved that she will use her grant to buy Latin language books for her classroom. I loved reading modern stuff in Latin. We used to read "Asterix et Obelix" in Latin. And everyone's favorite, "Winne ille Pu," which she mentioned. Rachel would have been an OK winner, but I was really glad Judy didn't make it. As I recall, she only won her round because the other contestants crashed and burned in the FJ and bet stupidly.

Two easy FJs in a row. At least everyone got this one.

• Love 2

Yay the Latin teacher won (Clare?)! Rachel was smart but humorless and I can't even with that slow as molasses contestant. 

My TS were Dashiell Hammett (for shame. I LOVE the Thin Man movies!) and Bigmouth Strikes Again (shame again. I LOVE The Smiths!).

FJ was an instaget. I had to screenshot the clue since I'm studying Arabic and my classmates and I think it's fun to collect references like that for class. #nerds

• Love 6

FJ was an instaget. 

Got Cayenne, George III , and Tehran.  

A $1,600 DD for a double hyphenated Caribbean capital? Rachel wishes she had bet more, I'm sure. 

I too was glad Judy didn't make it. 

7 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Yay the Latin teacher won (Clare?)!

I wanted Claire to win too and I'm glad she did. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Yay Claire!  Yay Latin!  This game made me anxious.  Judy acted like she was swimming in molasses and Rachel was too brusque.  Claire was nice and normal.  I'd like to see her win the whole thing.

A picture of Jerry Lewis?  Gimme a break.

I got French Guyana and Dashiell Hammett.

FJ was an instaget.  Yay!

Edited by CarpeDiem54
Capitalization matters
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

How was Alan Shepard playing golf on the moon the highest dollar value answer in that category?

Maybe because it was Before Their Time?

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

Hooray for Claire! Glad she won, especially since she teaches a "dead" language that no one studies any more.

And, according to this show, stopped being taught in the '60s.

Did I hear Judy say "booger"? Ha ha if so.

My takeaway: Anne Hillerman is continuing to write her dad's Leaphorn and Chee novels. I'm so happy. I have all of Tony Hillerman's books; because of them I have a deep interest in the Diné and their traditions.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I too really hate this when the accent or impression acts as a hint. I hated his Churchill, but his Sadat was even worse.

I'm still annoyed about the final jeopardy a while ago - they were looking for "Eeyore" and Alex read the clue in an Eeyore voice and totally gave it away (not that it was super challenging to begin with).

FJ today was an instaget though.

• Love 4

Hooray for Claire!  Though, honestly, I would have been happy with anyone except Judy.  I don't recall her bugging me so much in her game last week, but perhaps that was the really bad game and everyone bugged me? 

I only got Hammett and basking shark, and FJ was almost an instaget.  I wasn't sure if Arabic was one of the six languages, but couldn't think of any other that fit the description that might be.  So, Arabic it was! 

4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

You did, and that's probably the only time I liked her.  Her voice grated, and she was way too slow picking clues.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

No kidding.  That was ridiculous.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I'm still annoyed about the final jeopardy a while ago - they were looking for "Eeyore" and Alex read the clue in an Eeyore voice and totally gave it away (not that it was super challenging to begin with).

I can understand why you would find this personally offensive and irritating.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Sometimes it pays to listen and not watch. I'm like, "What picture of Jerry Lewis?"

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe because it was Before Their Time?

And, according to this show, stopped being taught in the '60s.

My takeaway: Anne Hillerman is continuing to write her dad's Leaphorn and Chee novels. I'm so happy. I have all of Tony Hillerman's books; because of them I have a deep interest in the Diné and their traditions.

When did the show say that Latin stopped being taught in the 60's? I kind of get where that's coming from, since that was when the Latin Catholic mass was largely discontinued, but there have been enough Latin teachers on the show to clear up that misconception!

Add me to the viewers happy that Claire won and Judy didn't. In addition to her voice and slowness, it bugged that she kept making those sounds when she got a question wrong. And that includes saying "booger!"

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

When did the show say that Latin stopped being taught in the 60's? I kind of get where that's coming from, since that was when the Latin Catholic mass was largely discontinued, but there have been enough Latin teachers on the show to clear up that misconception!

It was a clue/answer on this show not that long ago. If you go back in this thread, you will find our discussion and our snark about it.

• Love 1

The Dashiell Hammett clue being worth $2000 had me grumbling at the show, and then it went unanswered and I switched my focus to the contestants.  That being a TS was my big surprise for the night.

I thought the Port-au-Prince clue was overvalued as well, as a DD in DJ, but at least that one was answered!

This was another great game for me, and an instaget for FJ.

• Love 4

I'm so glad Claire won. I really like her and her quick, confident responses.

I didn't get any TSs. I had forgotten that Hammett wrote The Thin Man.

I got Arabic. After reading some posts here, I didn't know it was a no-brainer.

Being really picky, I was bugged when Judy answered, "Who is Scotland Yard."

• Love 6

Yay Claire! Judy is too slow, and Rachel too humorless, but she sure has mad buzzer skillz. 

TS I got were Hammett & shark, and I had no clue for FJ. 

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yay Claire!  Yay Latin!  This game made me anxious.  Judy acted like she was swimming in molasses and Rachel was too brusque.  Claire was nice and normal.  I'd like to see her win the whole thing.

All of this

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I remember that one because the category was something extremely broad, like literary characters, and I pre-guessed Eeyore. The look on my daughter's face, then about 8 or 9, was priceless!

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

The clue on the show was worded badly (shocking, I know), and from what I got out of it, they were going for Latin no longer being commonly taught in schools, and in addition, the Catholic Church discontinued using it in the '60s. But the confusing wording could be construed to mean it was no longer taught anywhere, which is obviously not the case. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tvaddict44 said:

Glad to see so many of you are rooting for Claire along with me!  I don't recall that clue about Latin not taught since the 60's - I would have blown a gasket.  I didn't even start teaching it until 1967 and it was alive and thriving long after 1997 when I retired.  I think eastern USA  high schools still have robust programs.

If any of you who mentioned having books in Latin (I loved Claire's having books in Latin in her classroom) know where I could supplement my meager collection I'd apprciate getting the name of a publisher.  My Winnie Ille Pu is very valuable to me because my Latin teacher in college gave me her copy when I finished her class.

There's no one publisher, but here's a list: http://johnpiazza.net/latin/novels/

Try http://www.bolchazy.com/ also; they have a lot of English language book translated into Latin, although those aren't easy reading. (The interview with Claire mentioned Hobbitus Ille as one such example.)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I'm still baffled as to where Judy got the idea of King Alfred I, II, and III.

Yeah, I didn't get it right either, but at least I tried William and there have been several of those. The current William will be the 5th, assuming he uses that as his regnal name, which I think he will. I've read that Charles plans to use his own name, both to follow his mother's tradition and because changing it seems kind of old fashioned. I've been steeping in British royalty this week, leading up to Harry and Meghan's wedding this Saturday.

• Love 2