Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Reeses pb cups must be cold. I hide them in the vegetable crisper drawer since I am the only one who goes in there (tip learned from The King of Queens). Non-refrigerated snacks are hidden in an empty tampon box. 

The tampon box as hiding place is pure genius.  I realize I've completely overlooked feminine-hygiene packaging as a stealth resource.  I recently had to hide a jar of fig jam in the fridge so my husband couldn't finish off the whole thing before I got even a taste of it (I bought it for myself, and he knew that, but it didn't seem to matter).  I hid it inside the shrink wrap covering a six-pack of this sparkling fruit soda he never drinks.  The one other option was to bury it inside a package of ground beef.  I always feel as if I hear the Mission: Impossible theme playing behind me while I'm scrambling to conceal something.

I adore Helen Mirren, but she holds the distinction of being in the only movie I've ever walked out on--The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover--not because it was shocking but because it was so boring.  She looked gorgeous, though.

Bye, Carolyn.  You annoyed me almost as much as you entertained yourself.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When Tom said, "Ivan" and Alex hesitated, I half expected Tom to say, "'Terrible' is in the clue." I know I did.

I thought Alex was hesitating because he wanted the number (Ivan IV, I think)! BTW, in the pronouns category, "more than two", I said "many" (the correct answer was apparently "several"). Do you think that would have been correct or incorrect?

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I thought Alex was hesitating because he wanted the number (Ivan IV, I think)! BTW, in the pronouns category, "more than two", I said "many" (the correct answer was apparently "several"). Do you think that would have been correct or incorrect?

I said "some" instead of "several".  I think our answers are just as valid as "several" - as mentioned above, several seems to be an adjective rather than a pronoun.

I also thought Alex was waiting for Tom to add The Terrible.

I liked Tom and was rooting for him - he is cool and it was cool having a connection to a Jeopardy! contestant:)

I've never heard the names of Guinevere's parents before yet her name was an instaguess for me.  I think the Camel part of the name led me to it.

It was a good game overall.  The new champ seems nice.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

The tampon box as hiding place is pure genius.  I realize I've completely overlooked feminine-hygiene packaging as a stealth resource.  I recently had to hide a jar of fig jam in the fridge so my husband couldn't finish off the whole thing before I got even a taste of it (I bought it for myself, and he knew that, but it didn't seem to matter).  I hid it inside the shrink wrap covering a six-pack of this sparkling fruit soda he never drinks.  The one other option was to bury it inside a package of ground beef.  I always feel as if I hear the Mission: Impossible theme playing behind me while I'm scrambling to conceal something.

I have a drawer of shame. I'm not that creative.

9 minutes ago, Trey said:

I said "some" instead of "several".  I think our answers are just as valid as "several" - as mentioned above, several seems to be an adjective rather than a pronoun.

IIRC, the clue specified that the word was based on an old (Greek? Latin?) word which had a root that "several" matched, but others did not.

According to Merriam Websiter, it is used both as an adjective and a pronoun. It seems more commonly used as an adjective. The word origin mentioned in MW is the Latin word: separalis. I don't remember if that was the word in the clue.

several - pronoun

pronoun, plural in construction

Definition of several : an indefinite number more than two and fewer than many, several of the guests

several -adjective sev·er·al \ ˈse-və-rəl , ˈsev-rəl \

Definition of several for Students

1 : consisting of more than two but not very many several people, several minutes

2 : separate or distinct from others : different federal union of the several states

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

IIRC, the clue specified that the word was based on an old (Greek? Latin?) word which had a root that "several" matched, but others did not.

I must have blocked that part out:)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Could you please post a picture of him on the Pets thread? His coat sounds amazing and I’d love to see it. 

There's a pet thread here???? OMG - must find! 

I love the trips with your grandchildren. You are making memories that will last a lifetime.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Helen M is in one of my all-time favorite movies: White Nights.

This is one of my favorite movies too, I could watch it every day. I didn't have a clue Mirren is in it, but then my eyes can't focus on anyone but Baryshnikov. *sigh* He's my dream man.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I used to have bunch (fewer than ten, more than 3, I don't remember) in a vase in my first home with my ex. Maybe the bad luck thing is right. ;)

"Several"?? ;-)

Tom says the bow tie was just a random tartan, not  Carnegie Mellon (which has a little more green.)  Similar, though!  I just knew it wasn't a MacInnes (McGinnis) tartan (we all have a MacInnes tie among other things tartan.)

He says he was thinking of Sleeping Beauty's spinning wheel -- a W.A.G.  -- but as soon as Alexandra's answer was revealed, he knew she was right.  It's knowable trivia, but you either know it or you don't.

He says he had a great time, and "no regrets!"  He says all his fellow contestants were great, and he hated to beat any of them.  He said Rex (beardy-guy from Monday) was scary-smart but just had trouble with his buzzer finger in the real game.  Tom should have run the Luther category (he went to Seminary for a while as a young'un!) -- but that nice Jewish girl on the end kept beating him on the buzzer!

• Love 13
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This is one of my favorite movies too, I could watch it every day. I didn't have a clue Mirren is in it, but then my eyes can't focus on anyone but Baryshnikov. *sigh* He's my dream man.

I was at the Victoria pool in Saratoga Springs, NY once (late 70’s I think) and he came in to swim with some fellow members of the NYC Ballet. Oh boy. What a body...especially in swim trunks. I was sunbathing and day dreaming. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was at the Victoria pool in Saratoga Springs, NY once (late 70’s I think) and he came in to swim with some fellow members of the NYC Ballet.

Oh, man color me jealous. A bunch of us went to Chicago specifically to see him dance as principle of American Ballet Theater. We were so excited .... then before the curtain came up, it was announced that his understudy would be dancing that night.

We were just not meant to be ...

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, man color me jealous. A bunch of us went to Chicago specifically to see him dance as principle of American Ballet Theater. We were so excited .... then before the curtain came up, it was announced that his understudy would be dancing that night.

We were just not meant to be ...

No Bette Middler!?!

(Any Seinfeld viewers here?)

• Love 4
23 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

I had 2 auditions (2006 and 2008) but never got the call (yet!)  Both boys tested and auditioned in 2017 -- I think I did well on this year's test (45!) so I'm still holding out hope for an audition -- don't know what cities have already held them.  Or maybe Jeopardy got sick of me 10 years ago and decided to never call me again!  Hey, J......??   I lost a bunch of weight, got a good haircut, and had my teeth fixed......I'm telegenic now!  Gimme another chance....pretty please??

I 'm guessing you made the comments about your appearance with tongue in cheek, but one of the things I've admired about Jeopardy! through the years is that "non-telegenic" people can get on the air. as long as they have some brains and personality.  Everyone is not required to be a hottie, at least not yet. We can complain about overly easy questions and shouty contestants, but the show hasn't gotten shallow enough to exclude the overweight, or people with bad hair or teeth.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

"Uh oh!" AT is a guest judge on RuPaul's Drag Race this Thursday, May 3, on VH1. Yep, "he's the one!" And don't tell me that "it's before your time!"

Thanks! I need to set my DVR.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I used to have bunch (fewer than ten, more than 3, I don't remember) in a vase in my first home with my ex. Maybe the bad luck thing is right. ;)

"Several"?? ;-)

Nice!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, opus said:

(Any Seinfeld viewers here?)

*raises hand* "Rochelle, Rochelle, the story of a young girl's journey from Milan to Minske." There is a town near me named Rochelle, and it never ceases to amuse me.

• Love 5
On ‎04‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, saber5055 said:

They can be quite spectacular, especially when they puff up, fan out the tail, drop their wings and do their "shake, rattle and roll" dance. They roost at night, which is usually when they call. They sound exactly like jungle birds. It would freak you if you heard one, not knowing what it was.

A restaurant near where I lived used to have some, and the first I was driving by at night and heard them, I swore someone was being murdered.

On ‎04‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, Clanstarling said:

Saw that many, many years ago. Like when it came out (or maybe it was in college at the art movie house - maybe I'm really not as old as I think). I remember liking it quite alot (but didn't remember the names for crap). For some reason, I was taken with the guy who played Merlin, I don't remember who that was. Helen and Liam were on Graham Norton recently (they used to live together), and Liam told a pretty funny story about him and Ciarian Hinds first laying eyes on Helen.

I made my mother take me to see it when I was 16.  I'm not sure she ever forgave me, lol.  And it was Nicol Williamson who played Merlin.

On ‎04‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:01 AM, Toothbrush said:

Helen Mirren is a goddess.

Indeed.  I'm not a lesbian, but if I was . . .

• Love 4

An ancestor of mine worked for a well-off farmer who kept some peacocks. She disliked them because they were so noisy. I don't know what happened to their tail feathers, but when a peacock died she plucked its other feathers to mix with chicken feathers to fill pillows. One of those pillows was still around when I was a toddler. When a feather poked through the ticking, I pulled it out and discovered that it was colorful, so I pulled out a lot more. Whoever came for me after my "nap" was not pleased.

• Love 5

The Yankees are on a central time zone road trip so I am very excited to watch tonight!

It’s actually been weeks since I’ve seen an ep, I have no idea about anything.  I know there was a tourney in there somewhere...?

• Love 2

What a fun night to get back in the saddle...Jamesville, where Osman is from, is about 20 minutes from my house.

Alex isn’t short for Alexander?  Huh.

I loved that state capital category so much, even if I didn’t get Phoenix and blurted out Baltimore when I know damn well Annapolis is the capital of Maryland.

I’m glad that Button was not accepted as an answer.  Thanks Kit!

Banzai! was a surprising TS.

I think my answer of “Amelia fucking Earhart” would have been ruled incorrect, but cod’s sack.  What a dumb clue.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I’m glad that Button was not accepted as an answer.  Thanks Kit!

Me, too!  That bothered me to no end when they initially accepted that.

I don't think I've ever heard Hiawatha pronounced "Hee-awatha".

I got Banzai and netsuke, and I think there was another one or two in there somewhere, but I got distracted by this crazy bird who has started pecking on my house when he's not attacking one of the windows.  I know, he's really attacking his reflection (it's a rival!  must kill!), but it's annoying.  And distracting!

FJ was an instaget.  But the bird attacking my house is not a raven...

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Alex isn’t short for Alexander?  Huh.

According to all the sources I found in the last minute, he is George Alexander Trebek.

Does anyone know the origin or meaning of the surname Trebek?  Sounds like three of something but I'm not sure what.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Driad said:

Does anyone know the origin or meaning of the surname Trebek?  Sounds like three of something but I'm not sure what.

There's a great joke in there somewhere.

13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I don't think I've ever heard Hiawatha pronounced "Hee-awatha".

Oh, I have. Unfortunately.

The wind started blowing AGAIN during this episode so my tv kept flipping in and out and I spent most of this episode straining to adjust the antenna, which is in the ceiling. So I missed pretty much everything except that the end was an astounding runaway and the two women spent their time clapping for the man. (So much "ugh" to that.) I'm not sure I care enough to look it up to watch online.

I never watched The Nanny but saw one today because the recap said Nanny gets on Jeopardy. It's from 1995, back when players won things like Rice-a-roni. It's episode S3 E2, "Franny and the Professor" (Michael McKeon is the professor) if any one wants to look it up on YouTube. Alex had greyish hair and that (disgusting) mustache.

• Love 4

Osman owned it tonight.  Congrats to him.  Leslye bugged me the way she stood there grasping her buzzer for dear life and was turned facing Osman the entire game.

I'm so glad they came back and took "Button" away from Alexandra.  I screamed, "Oh!  Now they're accepting just first names?  WTF??!! "  But to be fair, Alex should have said BMS instead of yelling, "Yes!  Button Gwinnett!"

I thought the first round was extremely easy.  I think I ran the board except for one answer.  I'm not that smart.

I got British Museum (I could, and have, spent days there) and banzai.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 14
(edited)

What an impressive performance by Osman! I hope he has a nice, long run. He's my kind of contestant. 

Actually, all three were fine, but he was most impressive. 

I had deism, Nagasaki, and banzai. FJ was an instaget. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 9

I really appreciated that there were no TS’s in the first round! Not my best game but a long shot but I enjoyed watching Osman. $33,333...what an interesting # to end up on! 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

My tv was in and out so badly, I missed everything. What was the "button" clue and answer that got taken away?

It asked about a Declaration of Indepence signer from Georgia whose name was like a shirt closure. Alexandra said Button, which Alex quickly accepted, saying "Yes, Button Gwinnett." He really should have either asked for the last name or ruled it wrong, especially since the category was B.G. names.

I got banzai, but not netsuke. The FJ was one of those where I got it so quickly, I started second guessing myself. But who else could it have been? Lovecraft, maybe, but he wasn't a contemporary of Whitman. So I stuck with Poe.

• Love 5

I got deism and the British Museum (which is, of course, spectacular).  FJ was an instaget, and I know nothing about poetry.

New champ was calm, sharp, and didn't bounce around the board.  We may have finally found the one who will bring balance to the Jeopardy! force.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Kathira said:

It asked about a Declaration of Indepence signer from Georgia whose name was like a shirt closure. Alexandra said Button, which Alex quickly accepted, saying "Yes, Button Gwinnett." He really should have either asked for the last name or ruled it wrong, especially since the category was B.G. names.

To elaborate a bit on that, the full clue was "This Georgia signer of the Declaration of Independence was as cute as a small clothing fastener." 

I realized the answer would have worked as a before and after too: Cute as a Button Gwinnett. 

I was yelling at my TV with the British Museum. That should be the go-to answer for, well, British museums.  

That was a very impressive victory for Osman. He just showed because someone watches a lot of cartoons, it doesn't mean they don't know anything else. Poe was an instaget for me. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

He just showed because someone watches a lot of cartoons, it doesn't mean they don't know anything else.

This makes me want to watch the episode online. I grew up on Saturday morning cartoons. Thanks everyone for the Button Gwinnett info.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was an instaget.  But the bird attacking my house is not a raven...

Hee. Would have been great if it had been.

Like everyone else, I was appalled when they accepted Button. 

The only TS I got was deism, and that came to me at the very last second.

I could not bring 'banzai' to mind. I was stuck on kawasaki, cowabunga, sayonara…

I've never heard of F is for Family.

• Love 4
Just now, saber5055 said:
Just now, Driad said:

There's a great joke in there somewhere.

I took this as a challenge.

Bec in French (and what other language would we go to?) most literally means "beak."  So that would make him Alex Three-Beaks.  Which is kind of a sissy Mafia name.

But there are a lot of secondary meanings, like "spout" and "nozzle" and "nose," and on and on.  My personal favorite, natch, is Alex Three-Peckers.  Maybe that could be a clue someday.

Osman did nothing to annoy me.  I must not be looking hard enough.  But both women got on my nerves by turning to him and clapping whenever he answered correctly, like they were Tony Orlando and Dawn or something.  You're not there to cheer him on throughout the game, you're there to compete with him.  Clap when he wins.  So I'm glad he did.

• Love 13
(edited)

Why did Alex say the one woman had just realized that Dante was not an American? Nothing in the clue said anything about the answer being an American. 

Category: Authors on Authors

”Whitman said this man’s poetry has a “propensity toward nocturnal themes, a demoniac undertone behind every page”

Where is the word “American” in that?

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 11
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This makes me want to watch the episode online. I grew up on Saturday morning cartoons. Thanks everyone for the Button Gwinnett info.

If I am remembering correctly, all the answers were about adultish nighttime cartoons.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I really appreciated that there were no TS’s in the first round! Not my best game but a long shot but I enjoyed watching Osman. $33,333...what an interesting # to end up on! 

I was wondering if that amount was intentional. Like maybe 3 is his lucky number so he purposely bet to get to that. It's possible he just bet as much as he could afford to lose and still win if the person closest to his score doubled theirs. I was too lazy to do the math there.

• Love 2

Osman is a kick butt player, but I thought all 3 DDs were extremely easy. As was the entire first round of play. 

I was glad they took back Alexandra's correct answer for Button. IIRC Lesley also answered just a last name in that category & was ruled correct, but I can't remember what it was. 

TS I got were British Museum, Deism, Nagasaki, bonzai. Kept 2nd guessing myself on FJ, but we could not come up with anyone else but Poe. 

I've never heard of netsuke but they were cute, if I may describe an intricate work of art as 'cute'

3 hours ago, Driad said:

According to all the sources I found in the last minute, he is George Alexander Trebek.

Wikipedia tells me that his father is from the Ukraine, and the name may mean someone of a reserved, serious nature. 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Different types of cartoons. No Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, or Yogi Bear in sight. 

1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

Why did Alex say the one woman had just realized that Dante was not an American? Nothing in the clue said anything about the answer being an American. 

”Whitman said this man’s poetry has a “propensity toward nocturnal themes, a demoniac undertone behind every page”

Thanks. I was thinking I had missed something. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

The less time spent trying to decipher Alex's inane comments the better. 

• Love 14
45 minutes ago, SHD said:

I was wondering if that amount was intentional. Like maybe 3 is his lucky number so he purposely bet to get to that. It's possible he just bet as much as he could afford to lose and still win if the person closest to his score doubled theirs. I was too lazy to do the math there.

He had $27,400 going to FJ. The highest possible total from Leslye would have been $12,400. Osman could have bet $14,999 and still won. I suspect 3 is meaningful for him.

That reminds of a couple of things: 3 is the number for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Also, in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Cause and Effect" Data received a message of 3 from the previous time loop telling him to follow Commander Riker's correct suggestion as had 3 pips on his collar. The number 3 had kept popping up throughout that loop as a result of that transmission. 

• Love 6

I liked Osman but I hope he gets a few decent competitors against him because I don't want a bunch of steamroller games this week. It'd be nice to have a little suspense.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I know, right? However, William Blake first popped into my head, but I thought it more likely that Whitman was referring to an American poet. Just an assumption, and like you said, there was nothing in the clue that suggested that. Of course Poe's work fits the quote better than Blake's does, but I'm just saying I figured it was an American poet.

No, I'm not defending Alex's remark. 

• Love 5