Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Well they better set up a rather large table with lots of wine for all of us that guessed Romulus and Remus.  I did get”The butler did it”, Robert DeNiro, I guessed Woman in White for the Moonstone answer even though I knew it was wrong, but it was the only Wilkie Collins novel I’ve read. I also got Mercury. The boyfriend did better tonight than I did. He ran the category that had the element (forgot it now..sorry). Why did I turn him onto this lol?

I loved the FJ guess of Bert and Ernie. What a good sense of humor. More Josh...what a shame <wink wink>.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, opus said:

Are we sincerely not liking Josh? I'll join in.

I've chatted with him on another board; he seems like a great guy. For me, the gesturing is annoying, but it's more like an annoying thing someone I like does, as opposed to my not liking him because he does something annoying. I don't know if that makes any sense. It's the last day of school, and my brain is FRIED.

• Love 15
On ‎05‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:50 PM, peeayebee said:

I'm sure everyone here got plumbum

I knew the plum thing was in there, but didn't get plumbum exactly.  I was on the right track, though.  Harper's Ferry was an instaget for me.

• Love 2
On ‎05‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, saber5055 said:

Alex, it hasn't been the Sears Tower since 2009. Get with it.

But it was when it was the tallest building in the world, and a lot of us have never heard it called the Willis Tower.  It's Sears Tower to me.

I'm actually tired of Josh, and I'm not saying that to ward off a jinx.  He's quite intelligent, fast on the buzzer, and seems nice, but I dislike runaways games.

On ‎05‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, peeayebee said:

I really need to learn the difference betw Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. I think I've said that a few times here. When will I learn?!?

I almost always say the wrong one.  I usually forget about Joseph Smith.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Yet they STILL jumped all over the board! I was so freakin' annoyed by that. Trebek tells them that the one category should start at the top because each clue will help with the next one, and they...pick one, then move on to every other category, then do another, then jump around again. Holy shit. I was yelling at my TV. It was the most baffled I have been by contestant behavior on this show, honestly. I do NOT GET IT. That whole first round was ridiculous with the category-jumping.

And I wanted to see how the next answer would use Miller High Life too!

I had no clue on FJ.

8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I am, but I think you, @Mondrianyone and I are the only ones!

I don't dislike him, I'm just tired of him.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

The answer “the butler did it”had the word butler in the clue!  Sloppy writers.  Is there room at the Romulus and Remus table for me?

Of course there’s room at the R&R table for you. I’m making an antipasto to go with the wine. Italian theme. 

• Love 5

Didja notice my name was mentioned?  Yup. There was a clue with "prevailing wind" in it!!  WHooo Hooooo.

Now for the sucky part - I'm in yet another town that shows J! at 11 AM. Check in time is 3 PM - HOW THE HELL am I supposed to watch?  (I do not like watching J! on my computer.) At least, tomorrow night's hotel's town shows it at 7:30. And after that, I'll be home.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well they better set up a rather large table with lots of wine for all of us that guessed Romulus and Remus.  I did get”The butler did it”, Robert DeNiro, I guessed Woman in White for the Moonstone answer even though I knew it was wrong, but it was the only Wilkie Collins novel I’ve read. I also got Mercury. The boyfriend did better tonight than I did. He ran the category that had the element (forgot it now..sorry). Why did I turn him onto this lol?

I loved the FJ guess of Bert and Ernie. What a good sense of humor. More Josh...what a shame <wink wink>.

I read and loved The Moonstone as a kid, but have absolutely no memory of it.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And I wanted to see how the next answer would use Miller High Life too!

Life is a bowl of cherries - Cherries Jubilee

6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Their dad was Mars/Ares (for once not Jupiter/Zeus), so "Romulus and Remus" is a good guess. Everyone remembers the she-wolf, but she nursed them only for a short time before they were found by a shepherd, who took them home to his wife. 

And our large table thanks you. :)

• Love 5
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I dislike runaways games.

I prefer runaway games. (Unless it's a Cliff Clavin runaway.) I can't stand the stress if I have a favorite, like Josh. I mean, like anyone but Josh. *cough*

I'm so happy to have company at the Romulus and Remus table, AND a delicious antipasto to go with the fine wine. I'll bring a Caesar salad. It's not often (read: never) that I have company!

• Love 6

Isthmus be my lucky day!  Except for the part where Josh won again.  It took me a second to figure out what exactly they were asking in FJ, but once I did, it was an instaget.  I may or may not have forgotten the category in the time between when Alex read it and the clue.  Sometimes I have the attention span of a goldfish!

I also got hoax, Thompson grapes, plover, Indiana, and string theory.  I was surprised they all missed Indiana, and I probably knew string theory because of The Big Bang Theory.

• Love 9

I did not have a clue on FJ tonight; all I could think of was Baja. But I did get hoax, ersatz, currant, thunder, Matisse, Poussin (they practically gave the name!), Indiana, and Ted Kennedy. And Alex must have been in heaven with all those French names. I'm about ready for a new champ, though I do admire Josh's come from behind wins.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm so happy to have company at the Romulus and Remus table, AND a delicious antipasto to go with the fine wine. I'll bring a Caesar salad. It's not often (read: never) that I have company!

May I join you folx if I bring a Greek treat?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I did not have a clue on FJ tonight; all I could think of was Baja. But I did get hoax, ersatz, currant, thunder, Matisse, Poussin (they practically gave the name!), Indiana, and Ted Kennedy. And Alex must have been in heaven with all those French names. I'm about ready for a new champ, though I do admire Josh's come from behind wins.

I said Baja with zero confidence. 

Josh is stressing me out! He's lucky he finished im the lead since Kristin had FJ too. I continue to like all the contestants, so clearly the world is ending soon. 

I had Thompson, under the table, thunder, Indiana, and string. Not my best game. The physics and French artists categories kicked my ass; string was a guess based on the number of letters. 

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, Driad said:

May I join you folx if I bring a Greek treat?

To paraphrase Trebek: Bien sûr! Just your company is enough, but a Greek treat would be extra special!

59 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Isthmus be my lucky day! 

I see what you did there.  Well done!

I thought FJ was asking for a country and I kept recounting Panama's syllables hoping maybe one would disappear and I'd be left with the required two. But then, that would have ruined my championship run of Biggest FJ Loser. So there's the bright side! I never gave a thought that they were asking for isthmus, a thing, not a country.

• Love 7

I might have stolen that from the original Little Rascals.  I can’t remember who said it, though.  Maybe Alfalfa?  I remember that Stymie said of an artichoke, “Well, it might choke Artie, but it ain’t gonna choke Stymie!”

• Love 3

I was confused on FJ, should have thought of Isthmus.  For those interested, The Path Between the Seas is a very long and detailed book about the Panama Canal history.  You have to wade through a whole lot of minutia though

Close one for Josh tonight.  He really came on strong at the end while Kristin just sat there the last few minutes

Seriously, Dan Quayle from Massachussetttes (did I spell that right?) Come on.  I mean I know I am from Indiana, obvious for me, but still.....so far off. 

French artists.....ugghhh.  I got Monet, that's it. 

• Love 5

Josh is getting tiresome.  *? ?*  He was making me nervous with his few goofy guesses (he normally doesn't do that) and being quiet for so long.  I suppose he realized guessing wasn't the wisest move.

I got hoax (DD), thunder, Indiana, and Ted Kennedy (DD).

Yay!  I finally got an FJ!  It was an instaget and I spelled it correctly, as did Josh and Kirsten.  So there, Alex.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Seriously, Dan Quayle from Massachussetttes (did I spell that right?) Come on.  I mean I know I am from Indiana, obvious for me, but still.....so far off. 

You did not. It's Massachusetts. I'm from there and got Indiana. I don't think we want to be responsible for the guy who could not spell potato properly. 

I had no idea there was a Mexican isthmus as it doesn't seem like there would be as they are normally quite narrow, but I knew that an isthmus connects two bodies of water. 

43 minutes ago, teebax said:

I had Thompson, under the table, thunder, Indiana, and string. Not my best game. The physics and French artists categories kicked my ass; string was a guess based on the number of letters. 

I got those along with hoax, Ted Kennedy, and plover. We have had situations with protected lands on Cape Cod beaches because they were nesting sites for the piping plover. It is a problem for tourism. If you've seen an episode of "The Big Bang Theory" you'd know string theory.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

f you've seen an episode of "The Big Bang Theory" you'd know string theory.  

I've seen six years of The Big Bang Theory and I didn't know string theory. So a dumb person has ruined your hypothesis.

If the clue had been: "Sheldon Cooper specializes in this field," THEN I would have known string theory.

• Love 8
On 5/23/2018 at 8:22 PM, saber5055 said:

Josh scared me too, and I thought maybe he was giving up since he made the TofC.

That's exactly what I thought too. He seemed kind of checked out, and was making some random guesses that lost him a chunk of money at the end.

I think the only category that really pertained to was the "Take the Category in Order." The answers were "Pep", "Pepper Mill", and "Miller High Life" Therefore, each subsequent answer has a part from the previous one and why you would want to take them in order. I would presume the next clue would have been something starting with "High Life" or "Life", but we never got that far. Josh's answer didn't fit the pattern as Grinder would have had to have been in the next response so Trebek specified Pepper Mill in his query to the judges. "Grinder High Life" is not the champagne of beers. 

I love that kind of word play but this time it went right over my head, probably for the exact reason you said.

I'm so glad Luke didn't win.  There was some strange something about him I couldn't stand.

Ugh he bothered me so much. Thank goodness he's gone.

Today I got under the table, Cezanne, and Indiana. No clue on FJ -- I haven't gotten FJ all week. Yeesh.

I still like Josh, for real. I was away for the wink wink so I'm not sure if you guys are trolling me! LOL

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I still like Josh, for real. I was away for the wink wink so I'm not sure if you guys are trolling me! LOL

We would NEVER troll you, Urban! <wink wink>

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

And, it was Tom from Massachusetts who threw out that terrible guess!  For shame...

• Love 2
7 hours ago, teebax said:

For me, the gesturing is annoying, but it's more like an annoying thing someone I like does, as opposed to my not liking him because he does something annoying. I don't know if that makes any sense. 

Makes perfect sense to me, since I feel the same way.  He did tone it down tonight.

7 hours ago, teebax said:

It's the last day of school, and my brain is FRIED.

Congrats!!  15 to go here (stupid snow days).  10 full and 5 half.  Not that I'm counting or anything.  

Does it count if you get FJ as soon as Alex says it's not easy to spell?  No?  Fine, then I also guessed Baja, which I thought was way too easy.  My only gets tonight were thunder and string theory.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

We're trolling the Jeopardy Jinx Faeries who make someone lose the second too many of us are enthusiastic about a contestant.  For example, I have in the past said, "I really like so-and-so.  I hope they stick around." and the next day they lose.  So some brilliant poster decided we should pretend to dislike Josh to keep him around.

• Love 6

Did anyone else think of furries when the first category Josh went for was TV Animal Roundup? Just me?

I only got a couple of TSs: Thompson and plover.

I hated how Josh pronounced Madrid. Mah-DREED. It was like he was trolling Alex. But probably not.

The answer of Five Dollars really amused me.

I didn't know FJ. I was trying to get two words out of Panama.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Did anyone else think of furries when the first category Josh went for was TV Animal Roundup? Just me?

I hated how Josh pronounced Madrid. Mah-DREED. It was like he was trolling Alex. But probably not.

Kind of liked Josh on his first show.  Not so much any more.  Getting too skeevy.  Sorry.

(Was I dreaming, or did Alex Trebek apologize for his logorrhea at the beginning of the last show?)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 6
(edited)

I was worried for Josh, but he pulled it off. His guesses at the end were out of character for him. Another game of me liking all 3 contestants. 

TS I got were currant (thank you Great British Baking Show), Bangkok, under the table, thunder, Indiana, string. I guessed liquid instead of fluid, wonder if it would have been accepted. FJ took a few seconds, but I got it in time to write it down.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Not just you. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

(Was I dreaming, or did Alex Trebek apologize for his logorrhea at the beginning of the last show?)

I know, right? It made me wonder if he read this site or a similar one where viewers complained that the board wasn't being cleared because of his comments.

• Love 3

I was thinking Josh might be getting a bit tired from a full day of playing.  We'll see tonight if he has more pep, but I was getting the impression from a slower buzzer reaction and hesitation before some answers that he was tired.  If he can muscle through tonight, he will at least get some sleep, but a number of people have mentioned that the full day of taping is exhausting.  Ken Jennings even talked about it being a relief to lose just to get some rest.

• Love 3

I ran the Impressionists category.  Monet, Manet, Tippy Tippy Day Day for you Seinfeld fans.  No idea as to FJ!  Seems like there have been quite a few geography FJs lately.

• Love 1

I missed yesterday's show, but I can say with confidence that I know "string theory" from Quantum Leap.  Yes, that's how old I am.

And, to be fair, even though I didn't like the guy - Quayle was holding cards that had the words on them and the TEACHER had put the E on the end of potato. He was just reading the card.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I guessed liquid instead of fluid, wonder if it would have been accepted.

So did I. I don't know if there is a scientific difference between the two.

It was nice to see a more even game instead of a runaway.

Only three ts's for me last night, Matisse, plover and currant. But I did get FJ fairly quickly, my first FJ get this week.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know FJ. I was trying to get two words out of Panama.

Quoting myself -- don't tell anyone -- but I just realized that isthmus isn't two words. I mean, I knew that before, but what made me think that FJ was two words? What was the wording of the FJ clue?

• Love 1

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For a link between oceans, the U.S. signed an 1859 treaty with Mexico giving us rights to this 2-syllable strip of land “of Tehuantepec”

• Love 5

More Alex jerkiness before the start of DJ, when he said that "two contestants had a good first round", and then told Tom he'd have to pick it up in round two. Tom was behind at that point, but he wasn't in the red or anything, so I'm sure he enjoyed the snarky comment. 

Instantly remembering Quayle was from Indiana made me feel ancient. 

I thought Tom looked a bit like the actor Lee Tergesen.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I was thinking Josh might be getting a bit tired from a full day of playing.  We'll see tonight if he has more pep, but I was getting the impression from a slower buzzer reaction and hesitation before some answers that he was tired.  

That was my thought also.  He seemed extra relieved at the end of last night's game.

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I missed yesterday's show, but I can say with confidence that I know "string theory" from Quantum Leap.  Yes, that's how old I am.

That was such a good show.  Yes, I'm also old.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

To paraphrase Trebek: Bien sûr! Just your company is enough, but a Greek treat would be extra special!

I love rhyming foods! Should be a category - wait, I think it is...

14 hours ago, DrScottie said:

You did not. It's Massachusetts. I'm from there and got Indiana. I don't think we want to be responsible for the guy who could not spell potato properly.

Or who complained about Murphy Brown's single motherhood as if she were a real person.

14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I've seen six years of The Big Bang Theory and I didn't know string theory. So a dumb person has ruined your hypothesis.

If the clue had been: "Sheldon Cooper specializes in this field," THEN I would have known string theory.

As my husband said (both of us Big Bang Theory fans) - I know OF string theory, but I know F*** all ABOUT string theory.

13 hours ago, Brookside said:

Not so good at the Impressionists, were they?

Matissee, Monet, Gaugin, etc., I say them interchangeably (yes, I know they're not all Impressionists, at least I think so). My art history education was stuck in the Renaissance. I do a smidge better with those clues.

11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I loved the question for books on audible, the Grafton one.  So sad she died much too soon.  But I have a coffee mug that says, "The alphabet ends with Y."

I could not get her name out of my mouth. I read the series (liked it until they became basically historical mysteries, which I'm not fond of typically), but was sad she was unable to finish it before she died. So close.

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Loved Quantum Leap. Developed an unending crush on Scott Bakula because of that series (though not enough to watch him in NCIS: New Orleans). Forgot that it was about string theory.

• Love 4
On 5/24/2018 at 4:41 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Luke had some really goofy guesses. I shouted at the TV, "Use the Force, Luke!"  Didn't work.  I don't think the dudes in the next hotel room appreciated my yelling, either.

On the contrary, I imagine it gave them something to wonder about.

• Love 6

We have had situations with protected lands on Cape Cod beaches because they were nesting sites for the piping plover

Same here in Michigan. Apparently they like both salt and fresh water

I knew that Ted Kennedy speech because it played at the end of a ubiquitous PBS commercial some years ago.

I remember watching that speech and it was an amazing one. That and his eulogy for Bobby were remarkable. Too bad he ruined his chance to be POTUS

I like Josh well enough except for all that crazy gesticulating. 

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I did like Josh's enthusiastic response  to the Dr. ML King answer....Josh does get into his answers!

That actively made me dislike him, whereas I'd merely been indifferent before.  I didn't mind the pronunciation of Madrid because it was closer to how they actually say it in Spain (more like "Mah-Threed" but close enough).

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And, to be fair, even though I didn't like the guy - Quayle was holding cards that had the words on them and the TEACHER had put the E on the end of potato. He was just reading the card.

All right, I did not know that (or I forgot it if I ever did), but that is not really much better. "What a waste it is to lose one's mind." --Dan Quayle messing up the UNCF motto

• Love 5
17 hours ago, DrScottie said:

We have had situations with protected lands on Cape Cod beaches because they were nesting sites for the piping plover. 

The first time I saw, or heard of, a plover was when I moved to a new development in Virginia. Some parts of the community had streets but no houses, and when I'd walk there I'd often see plovers. I don't know how many times I saw them feign injury as they led me away from their nests.

4 hours ago, Trey said:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For a link between oceans, the U.S. signed an 1859 treaty with Mexico giving us rights to this 2-syllable strip of land “of Tehuantepec”

DOH! You say syllable, I say word. That's what I get for reading too fast. Pay attention, Plumbum!

• Love 5

I was gone for Thursday's show, but when I got home and checked YouTube, there was the episode already at 6 p.m. central. Woo hoo!

I thought Tom was a cutie. Plus I liked his pullover sweater/jumper.

D'etre as a category title was Trebek heaven. Drink! I might have known some of the French artists if I had seen them spelled and not Trebekian over pronounced so I didn't know who the heck he was talking about.

I'd like to see a Picasso tattoo.

Thompson grape was such a DUH moment for me. We used to call them Thompsons, now they are sold as "green grapes." Our store choices here are green or red. It's the dumbing down of America.

"Steal my thunder" eluded me. I could come up with that phrase, but the category was Over/Under. Then another DUH moment, thUNDER. Gah.

I about had a heart attack at FJ, and threw my hands up and yelled YES! when Josh pulled it off at the end. As said previously, I don't like stressful FJs.

• Love 7