Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, Brookside said:

All I would ask is that when you try it you pronounce it as Sage "Darby" (British pronunciation), not the American way (as in hat, horse race, etc). 

Isn't that a little...Trebekish? ;)

10 hours ago, Pallida said:

Fruit or no fruit in your stuffing/dressing? (I like stirring the pot!)

I've been meaning to try dried cranberries (true cranberries, not sweetened). Seems like they would be perfect.

• Love 4

Webster's says dressing is "a seasoned mixture usually used as a stuffing (as for poultry)."  We always called it stuffing in our house, but I learned pretty early on that the stuffing/dressing nomenclature seems to be a regional thing.  I think it's just two names for the same stuff (so to speak).

My grandmother used to make a stuffing whose main ingredient was ground beef.  I've never been able to find a recipe that duplicates it.  It was so delicious, but you didn't need to eat it again till next Thanksgiving, because once consumed it lived there in your gut for the rest of the year.

ETA:  Clearly should've read earlier posts before making the brilliant bolded observation.  Just to say something that hasn't already been said ten times, I thought both Tristan and Alex were wearing really nice ties.  I love a floral tie on a man.  And Alex's pairing of the green plaid tie with the blue shirt was an audacious touch.  Thumbs-up.  Also, he may be pretentious, but I think it's fair to say he's pretty well educated, too.

Edited by Mondrianyone
lack of originality
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Brookside said:

Nah, educated as opposed to pretentious 

"That's what he said." I say speak American, not Trebekish-stan. Dur-bee cheese.

I cook the giblets (heart, liver, gizzard), chop and add to my stuffing. Bread cubes, onions, celery plus all the right spices (including Poultry Seasoning, it comes in a can!), moisten, mix, stuff. I think mushrooms might be a good addition, and I think Clanstarling's dried cranberries would be tasty in there as well.

I've heard about sausage in stuffing and would be happy to try that. I'd also be all about some oyster (seafood!) stuffing from NOLA.

It all sounds good to me, I like trying new and different things.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I've heard about sausage in stuffing and would be happy to try that. I'd also be all about some oyster (seafood!) stuffing from NOLA.

Oh the Bar-B-Q’d oysters from the Red Fish Grill in NO are the best, but I’m sure Alex has eaten in better places (probably goes to an oyster farm when he’s hungry for them). Oysters Rockefeller were invented at Antoine’s Restaurant in NO. 

• Love 2

I've been to some oyster bars in NO but couldn't tell you the names. I can barely remember my own name. BBQ oysters sound wonderful. I can tell I haven't eaten anything yet today. Off to make something so I'll stop posting about food.

• Love 2

LOL... stuffing vs dressing... dinner vs supper... couch vs sofa... hotdog vs wiener...

Just don't get me started on why we call it a driveway when it is where we park our vehicle - and the parkway is where we drive!

No wonder we're such a crAzy bunch. Speaking only for me, of course.

• Love 10

LOL Mondianyone. I just ate breakfast/lunch/dinner while watching Friday's Jeopardy! It was fun to see after reading comments here. So here goes mine:

First, when Trebek opened the game, he said "today is get-away day." What is that? Is it Canada speak for Friday?

I thought too bad all three players were men, but they recently had three women so it was okay. Then Trebek calls Lynn "she." The heck. I've worn ties and vests before so her outfit didn't bother me, but gosh, she fooled me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The clue about some place was closed to help stop the place from subsiding ... answer, Leaning Tower of Pisa. I've never heard of a building "subsiding." But I guess if coffee grounds can subside (settle) to the bottom, so can a tower.

TREBEK CHEESE ALERT! AT read the clue for the sage cheese and said DERBY. Pronounced the American way. I know, it surprised me too.

After the answer of "dressing" was given, Trebek said it was "good stuff." LOL at that. Only saying it was "good stuffing" would have been better.

Smudging: The clue was for cleansing a new house, so I took that as getting rid of the bad spirits before moving in. So it doesn't literally "clean" the house, it just gets rid of evil juju and bad karma.

Captain Kidd in the FJ clue made that answer easy for me. Finally. I've been missing FJ all week until a pirate clue helps me.

I felt badly for Lynn. One dollar. That'll take a while to get over.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, you mean the davenport?

Please, Chesterfield.

(Editing to add, just saw your reply, ABay.  Great minds and all that.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Is that giblets with a hard g (like go) or a soft g (gem)?

I had to think a minute ... soft g, like "gem." Or: Jib-lets. Again, my mom was raised in Arkansas if that makes a different. Before they were cooked, she kept the giblets in the ice box.

• Love 3

But the drink, Gimlet, is a hard G.  Dresser, etc = bureau.

Zevon used to write his songs frequently while sitting on that large piece of furniture.  He was very meticulous and songwriting was sometime agony for him, so he referred to the piece of furniture as the Davenport Of Despair or the Couch Of Pain.  (I like to think of it as the Couch of Ouch.)  Yet he used the word Divan in the song Mr. Bad Example - mainly so it would rhyme with Spokane.

• Love 4

I have an inkling.

My favorite Yogi Berra story has one of his schoolteachers getting exasperated with him and saying, "Mr. Berra, don't you know anything?!?"  And Yogi supposedly said, "Ma'am, I don't even suspect anything!"  Probably not true, but I hope it is.

What was our topic here again???

• Love 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I had to think a minute ... soft g, like "gem." Or: Jib-lets. Again, my mom was raised in Arkansas if that makes a different. Before they were cooked, she kept the giblets in the ice box.

Better inside the ice box than inside the bird - unhappy memories here of cooking a turkey with the giblets still inside, plastic bag, metal tie and all.  Have since learned to use them for gravy.

• Love 3

Loved the "Time: Person of the Year" question for "2014:  Health care workers fighting this deadly virus in west Africa."  

Dr. Thomas Geisbert is featured in that issue with a picture of him and a friend of mine who works with him, all suited up in his BSL-4 gear, at the Galveston National Laboratory.  

So, it goes without saying, I got that one right.  Besides, the clue seemed pretty obvious anyway.  

Edited by GalvDuck
  • Love 9

After watching Friday's game, I decided that what caused my visceral reaction to Lynn was her resemblance to a former supervisor who tried to get me fired while I was out on medical leave.  Not Lynn's fault, obviously, but I'm glad she's gone simply because I don't think I could've continued watching her.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Giblets are catfood at our house.

My cats don't like them. Neither do the humans.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I cook the giblets (heart, liver, gizzard), chop and add to my stuffing. Bread cubes, onions, celery plus all the right spices (including Poultry Seasoning, it comes in a can!), moisten, mix, stuff. I think mushrooms might be a good addition, and I think Clanstarling's dried cranberries would be tasty in there as well.

And that is why I only eat Stove Top stuffing - no nasty giblets.

I lost my previous post, but it's stuffing in my family even though we haven't actually stuffed the bird since 1975.

I got hyper, Ashley Judd, and bellicose.  Only got scorpion after spider was eliminated.  FJ was an instaget because Treasure Island is one of my favorite books.  Tehre was other stuff, but it's not like it was the cure for cancer or anything.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Sometimes I tell my cat "do not use the davenport as a scratching post."  I also say "icebox."  I guess I'm old-timey some days.  I think of chifferobe as a southern word, from To Kill A Mockingbird.  "Boy, I'll give you a quarter to bust up my old chifferobe."  That phrase occasionally comes out of my mouth, apropos of nothing.

Back to the real topic of Jeopardy!  Saturday I participated in the annual Trivia Bee for Literacy with 2 co-workers.  I was able to come up several correct answers due to my love the the game, and this board.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Wasn't that the dwarf in Lord of the Rings? 

That was Gimlet's brother, Gimli. But good catch. "Give me a GIM" could be a J! category some day. (Or: "GIMme a GIM."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
On 3/20/2018 at 9:11 PM, teebax said:

Alex always has to one-up everybody. If I make the show, I promise to give him shit if he does that to me. 

Lisa must have been an interesting child. (I say interesting when I really mean annoying.) Both her interviews have been about letters she wrote. I genuinely enjoy her reactions to winning but wouldn't shed a tear if she lost. BTW, her board jumping doesn't bother me because it makes sense. She sticks with bottom clues, which I prefer to wildly jumping all over, a strategy that only works for excellent players to keep opponents off guard. I also like Lisa's gutsy DD wagers, but I wish she'd speed up.  

I've been traveling so just caught up on almost a week's worth of Jeopardy. It was also March Madness and two shows didn't record/were cut off.  

I have heard people talk about Alex and the way he treats contestants, but boy, it really jumped out at me this week. Because it didn't seem like he was ha-ha just trying to be funny. For me, it started when Lisa won on the first day and had a runaway going into FJ. Alex said nothing at the end of DJ, which it seems that he usually does. Then before revealing the FJ questions, again, he doesn't say anything about Lisa having a runaway game. I'm not an overly sensitive person, but was it because she was a woman? It seemed very odd that he didn't mention it at all.

Then, ok, maybe she was a precocious child but I'm sure the show picks out the topics they want to discuss with her and for the show runners/Alex to choose to talk to her about her emails and Big Bird and then call her "weird?" As nervous as I imagine I would be if I were ever on the show, if Alex then called me weird, I might just start crying.

• Love 2

Well, at least Tristan was a one-and-done, but Johnny is insufferable.  I hope he's a one-and-done, too.  Vicky just looked lost, bless her heart.

I hated this game so much that I have no idea whether or not I got any TS.  I know there were a couple I didn't get -- and no one got them because they didn't understand the category/clue because they started in the middle!  There is a reason (other than my preference) to start with the easier clues at the top!

FJ should have been, well, maybe not an instaget, but certainly gettable, but I missed it!  Probably because I hated the game so much.

• Love 7

So do Vicki and Tristan each get $1000 because they both finished with 0, or does Vicki get $2000 because she at least made it to FJ? Silly of her to bet the whole thing, because Johnny made it a runaway and there was nobody to play against for second place.

I’m OK with Johnny, but he needs to pay closer attention if he’s going to last as champ. How could he forget twice that he needed to spell his answers in the Geography category? I don’t remember if it was he or Tristan who forgot that the O No category needed two words.

I also thought the table in FJ was the Round Table. I couldn’t see the people well enough to tell that they were a more diverse bunch than the Knights.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

So do Vicki and Tristan each get $1000 because they both finished with 0, or does Vicki get $2000 because she at least made it to FJ?

Their boards at the end showed Tristan's with $1000 and Vicky's with $2000.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Well, at least Tristan was a one-and-done, but Johnny is insufferable.  I hope he's a one-and-done, too.  Vicky just looked lost, bless her heart.

I hated this game so much that I have no idea whether or not I got any TS.  I know there were a couple I didn't get -- and no one got them because they didn't understand the category/clue because they started in the middle!  There is a reason (other than my preference) to start with the easier clues at the top!

FJ should have been, well, maybe not an instaget, but certainly gettable, but I missed it!  Probably because I hated the game so much.

Co-sign!  And between Tristan’s ever-present guessing and his flailing about all over the board I'm not sorry to see the back of him.

I wasn’t much of a fan of most of the categories today.  And FJ could have been written in Mandarin for all I knew about it.  Although King Arthur did come to mind, but it seemed like the year in the clue was too early for that.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Either I'm brain dead or I disliked this game so much I wasn't fully paying attention.  I didn't get any TS or FJ.  At least I didn't flame out on national TV like Tristan.  That's what you get for beating Lynn by a dollar, you board jumping goon.

Oh, and I don't know what Alex was going for but it's not pronounced Denvuh, Coloraduh.  It pissed me off because it's almost as if he was trying to sound like a backwards hick.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 13

I feel like In Living Color's Men on Film: HATED IT! 

It's criminal to me that we only saw one of those Emmy clues. I guess none of them are tv fans. I also yelled at the TV that they'd have had no trouble with the removing an O category of they'd started from the top. Ugh. 

My gets were Grest Britain, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the 17 DD, groove/grove, Mediterranean (spelled correctly), and Google/Gogle (never heard of Gogle but figured it out based on the category). FJ was an instaget.

Off topic: The streets in my sister's neighborhood are all Canterbury Tales. She lives on Franklin Tale. The main drag is called Chaucer Lane. I always thought that was pretty cool. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 15
4 minutes ago, teebax said:

I feel like In Living Color's Men on Film: HATED IT! 

It's criminal to me that we only saw one of those Emmy clues. I guess of them are tv fans. I also yelled at rhe TV that they'd have had no trouble with the removing an O category of they'd started from the top. Ugh. 

My gets were Grest Britain, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the 17 DD, groove/grove, Mediterranean (spelled correctly), and Google/Gogle (never heard of Gogle but figured it out based on the category). FJ was an instaget.

Off topic: The streets in my sister's neighborhood are all Canterbury Tales. She lives on Franklin Tale. The main drag is called Chaucer Lane. I always thought that was pretty cool. 

A shout out for In Living Color? Snap!!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 4