Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Battle for the South: New Marching Orders

The remaining six teams arrive at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola Florida. The highest grossing teams from the first leg of the race get to pick teams to work with to feed 50 service members. 

My dislike for the Brunch Breakfast Squad Club dude with the eyebrows from hell continues to grow. Proudly calling himself a diva...all that means is that you're obnoxious and self-centered. Half the time it seems like his own teammates don't like him.

• Love 13

Props to Tyler for not going all Gordon Ramsay about making lunch for service people!

It really bothers me that this show keeps showing people talking on their cell phones while driving.  Everyone with common sense knows that's not a good idea and it's illegal in many states.  Maybe they're not really driving while filming but it sure looks like they are so a bad example is being set.  

I was hoping that either the on-a-stick people or Papi whatever would go home with hyper Mama being my first choice.  I can't even remember what they fixed with the snapper but I was totally amazed that they made so much money from one fish.  I am glad I won't have to look at quarrelsome dad or daughter with a ring in her nose any more.  The guys who came in second last looked defeated already.  They won't last much longer if they don't psych themselves up before the next challenge.  I don't mind Mikey but he needs to back away from the make up.  Yike.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, mlp said:

It really bothers me that this show keeps showing people talking on their cell phones while driving.  Everyone with common sense knows that's not a good idea and it's illegal in many states.  Maybe they're not really driving while filming but it sure looks like they are so a bad example is being set.  

Thank you! That's always bugged me about this show.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I can't even remember what they fixed with the snapper but I was totally amazed that they made so much money from one fish.

IIRC, they turned it into some kind of fish cake and served it over grits - definitely a way to stretch a protein.

• Love 2

What's up with all the so-mo shots of them prepping?   It feels like it's being edited by someone who used to work on Top Shot--and while watching a bullseye hit shatter a glass target is interesting to watch in slo-mo, a carrot be chopped is not.  

Are empanda dough disks something Sam's Club stocks?  It doesn't seem like a generic enough item to be bought is bulk quantities and I've never seen it there, but then again I've never looked for it.  

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Maverick said:

What's up with all the so-mo shots of them prepping?   It feels like it's being edited by someone who used to work on Top Shot--and while watching a bullseye hit shatter a glass target is interesting to watch in slo-mo, a carrot be chopped is not.  

Was wondering that myself... also couldnt the Southern mom have written that recipe on something else? or at least put it in the car's glove compartment..

I now think the giveaway to a team being eliminated is when one of them says"I am NOT ready to go home!" lol

Edited by TDT
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

My dislike for the Brunch Breakfast Squad Club dude with the eyebrows from hell continues to grow. Proudly calling himself a diva...all that means is that you're obnoxious and self-centered. Half the time it seems like his own teammates don't like him.

His attitude is so dismissive.  I'm not why we are supposed to embrace an annoying young male who wears makeup and is a self proclaimed diva as a charming culinary expert or more likely media personality.  Be humble.

40 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Are empanda dough disks something Sam's Club stocks?  It doesn't seem like a generic enough item to be bought is bulk quantities and I've never seen it there, but then again I've never looked for it.  

Top Shot!!!!  Thank you!   That slo mo of stirred caramel actual made me laugh.

I suspect empanada discs are regionally common at sams or costco.  I think when you commit to it in your name and go on a tv show you might want to know how to make the dough, source the dough around the country or don't put it in your name.  This show has routinely gone to podunk-ville....you can't seriously have expected to find premade dough.   Calling a local authentic mexican grocer or restaurant for it would also be an option but time consuming and also risky.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I suspect empanada discs are regionally common at sams or costco.  I think when you commit to it in your name and go on a tv show you might want to know how to make the dough, source the dough around the country or don't put it in your name.  This show has routinely gone to podunk-ville....you can't seriously have expected to find premade dough.   Calling a local authentic mexican grocer or restaurant for it would also be an option but time consuming and also risky.

Yep, as soon as the couldn't get the discs & decided to serve tacos instead, I was pretty sure they were going home. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I think when you commit to it in your name and go on a tv show you might want to know how to make the dough, source the dough around the country or don't put it in your name.

In retrospect, they should've been called Dominican Fryers.

Although, given the "Brunch Squad-Breakfast Club" debate, who knows how much input they had in their team name to begin with?  We don't have kids, but if I were travelling around with my daughter and niece, I don't think I'd voluntarily pick "Papi Chulo" for my title/logo...  As for the empanadas, I would've at least put them on the board as "SOLD OUT."  Otherwise, the few times we've made them, we've just used the good ol' tube of biscuits - certainly not autentico, but an option.

Add me to the list of those who can't stand Mama Stick's screaming.  Her hissy fit about Po Boy parking next to her was childish.  At least the breakfast diva is quiet. 

I was so surprised that team wanted to take time off.  Yes you have $200 but so does the other team that you are now competing against!

• Love 3

So disgusted that Bitch-on-a-stick did not go home. The shrieking, the affected folksiness, the way she treats her sons--I cannot stand her. I actually don't mind the breakfast/brunch folks. They at least stand out more than the other unmemorable personalities and their food seems well-received.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Callasin said:

Add me to the list of those who can't stand Mama Stick's screaming.  Her hissy fit about Po Boy parking next to her was childish.  At least the breakfast diva is quiet. 

I was so surprised that team wanted to take time off.  Yes you have $200 but so does the other team that you are now competing against!

Every time the camera is on Breakfast Diva - he is always preening for the lens. I think the editing is specifically ignoring the Breakfast team so they come out as favourites. He still annoys me though and his team really don't seem to like him that much ! I still don't see how they are doing so well when their main dish is egg on nacho's  and for this one, red snapper on nacho's - for breakfast !!!

Mama's accent was cute at first but as the show gets on, it is just becoming grating and annoying.

I quite like the professional chefs as they are the most clued in so far and are not too in your face or screechy. Po Boys are also quite good too.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, mlp said:

Props to Tyler for not going all Gordon Ramsay about making lunch for service people!

I was hoping that either the on-a-stick people or Papi whatever would go home with hyper Mama being my first choice.  I can't even remember what they fixed with the snapper but I was totally amazed that they made so much money from one fish.  I am glad I won't have to look at quarrelsome dad or daughter with a ring in her nose any more.  The guys who came in second last looked defeated already.  They won't last much longer if they don't psych themselves up before the next challenge.  I don't mind Mikey but he needs to back away from the make up.  Yike.

Braised In The South? They're one of of two teams I like with my favorite being Mr Po Boys (liked them in that pilot for the other food truck show). Stick and Brunchfast Club grate, and Frenchie isn't long for this world.

• Love 3

Every time Eyebrows--now "Diva"--has had a talking head, it looks like one of the two women is ready to contribute her two-cents on that.  I want to hear her unburden herself, LOL.

I've decided they chose the name "Brunch Squad" and then some John Hughes fan in production--someone my age, heh-- wasn't paying attention and had the bus painted with the name "Breakfast Club."

I didn't pay much attention to this episode.  Each time I tuned in and looked up, Mama Stick was in a lather about something.  Good, bad?  Who knows?  Much WOOOOOOOOOO-ing.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, candall said:

Every time Eyebrows--now "Diva"--has had a talking head, it looks like one of the two women is ready to contribute her two-cents on that.  I want to hear her unburden herself, LOL.

I literally LOL'd at that talking head where Diva said people refer to him as a brunch aficionado and the two girls were like: "Uh.....nobody calls you that".

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I literally LOL'd at that talking head where Diva said people refer to him as a brunch aficionado and the two girls were like: "Uh.....nobody calls you that".

PEOPLE in the INDUSTRY calls him that! HA! He wishes people in the industry knew him.

• Love 4

These people have got to be the most inept, ever.  I just watched it last night, after being glued to the TV for three days watching weather radar...(I'm a bit north of Houston)  I really needed the comic relief provided by screaming/drawling Mama and Diva and the snark here.  My picture went fuzzy a few times...were those fish breakfast nachos?  (shudder)

Texas Strong!

• Love 2

Mama Stick, or Mama Shona as I like to call her, I can't stand her. She is just too much for me. She's out next week.

The 2 teams I really like the best are Mr Po' Boys and Braised in the South. I live in South Carolina, so I'm pulling for them two.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:52 PM, mlp said:

Well, he did give us the obligatory "thank you for service" and say something like "the least we can do is make you lunch." But I grant you he didn't yell "these people risk their lives for you and you serve them undercooked chicken. How DARE you?"

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, AmandaPanda said:

I literally cringe every time the Southern mom opens her mouth. I was so disappointed they got immunity. 

It's not just the overdone southern accent. Her voice has that grating nails on a chalk board quality. But she will probably be around for the finals, because Food Network obviously thinks that over-the-top southerners are entertainment gold.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, cameron said:

Once again they featured overhead footage of downtown Savannah Ga as a stand in  for New Orleans.

Really? If so, good eye. I saw a shot of a street in "Pensacola, Florida" with wrought-iron balconies on the buildings, which looked like New Orleans, so now I don't trust anything on this show.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:41 AM, Chyromaniac said:

In retrospect, they should've been called Dominican Fryers.

Good one. But as others have commented, they never seemed to actually make empanadas. Maybe once? Bad planning considering that's their name and concept. I personally love a good empanada, and it's probably something that could be a hit in a lot of places where Latin food is not common. There's an empanada truck each week at my local farmer's market and they have the longest lines of any vendor.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

That was a pretty good "bait and switch" the show pulled on us. "Here's a snapper you have to filet to serve on your menu!"

There is no way they cleaned all of the fish they used that day. Hell, I'm not convinced that Brunch Squad cleaned any of their fish. They all got a show fish and then a bunch of pre-cut filets.

• Love 2

Didn't they only have to clean and filet one fish? I seem to remember one of the teams (the empanada team, I think?) saying that it's usually someone else (her mom maybe?) who cuts the head off the fish but she would have to do it this time.  Granted, I don't remember if they actually showed any of the teams fileting the fish but it doesn't seem like it would be too much trouble for each team to clean one fish. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Didn't they only have to clean and filet one fish? I seem to remember one of the teams (the empanada team, I think?) saying that it's usually someone else (her mom maybe?) who cuts the head off the fish but she would have to do it this time.  Granted, I don't remember if they actually showed any of the teams fileting the fish but it doesn't seem like it would be too much trouble for each team to clean one fish. 

Yeah it was only one fish which is why it was a stupid challenge because when they showed the Po' Boy and one of the other teams the filet was so large that they clearly only got four dishes out of it and it showed them "selling out" early.

When they announced the winner the dude from the Southern French team wondered how the winners could have made so much money out of ONE fish.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Good one. But as others have commented, they never seemed to actually make empanadas. Maybe once? Bad planning considering that's their name and concept. I personally love a good empanada, and it's probably something that could be a hit in a lot of places where Latin food is not common. There's an empanada truck each week at my local farmer's market and they have the longest lines of any vendor.

I was rooting for the Philly teams! But,  Papi Chulo had to go because daddy Chulo was driving me nuts. Between the tears, the tantrums (Say yes to me always!)' and the dancing, he was an emotional rollercoaster!

But I don't understand how it was bad planning to not have empanada dough. They had no control over where they were sent or of the availability of supplies. All the teams seemed to shop in the same place, so perhaps they were instructed to go there for filming. I do remember other year's teams were able to procure speciality items. Perhaps that wasn't an option this time. They were done a disservice by having them shop at a generic wholesale club. I'm sure that if given a minute to do some research, they could have found decent dough.

I think they did the best with what they had. If those two girls ditch that dancing albatross, they'll do just fine!

I'd go for lunch.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

I was rooting for the Philly teams! But,  Papi Chulo had to go because daddy Chulo was driving me nuts. Between the tears, the tantrums (Say yes to me always!)' and the dancing, he was an emotional rollercoaster!

But I don't understand how it was bad planning to not have empanada dough. They had no control over where they were sent or of the availability of supplies. All the teams seemed to shop in the same place, so perhaps they were instructed to go there for filming. I do remember other year's teams were able to procure speciality items. Perhaps that wasn't an option this time. They were done a disservice by having them shop at a generic wholesale club. I'm sure that if given a minute to do some research, they could have found decent dough.

I think they did the best with what they had. If those two girls ditch that dancing albatross, they'll do just fine!

I'd go for lunch.

Most of these teams are too dumb to loom elsewhere for what they need. Braised and Po are the only two I would image to have gone look elsewhere.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

But I don't understand how it was bad planning to not have empanada dough. They had no control over where they were sent or of the availability of supplies.

The fact that they didn't make their own dough is ridiculous, it's flour, butter, eggs, milk or water, and comes together crazy quickly.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, biakbiak said:
27 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

The fact that they didn't make their own dough is ridiculous, it's flour, butter, eggs, milk or water, and comes together crazy quickly.

I know, but they only had a couple of hundred dollars. That was a wholesale club. They may not have enough to purchase all the items in bulk. I imagine a package of taco shells fit the budget. 

This is such an unnatural situation. Looks like they purposely hobble the teams to see how they roll with it. I doubt anyone would seriously attempt to stock a food truck with only $200 in the real world.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Thank you. Shows how much attention I was paying.

1 minute ago, Hockeymom said:

know, but they only had a couple of hundred dollars. That was a wholesale club. They may not have enough to purchase all the items in bulk. I imagine a package of taco shells fit the budget. 

All of the ingredients for the dough that would last you all weekend would be less than $20 at Costco in San Francisco and I assume it might be cheaper in other places.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

THIS! I was shocked when they said they couldn't make empanadas because they couldn't find the discs. I had just assumed they made their own dough. I mean, a good dough can make or break an empanada.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

THIS! I was shocked when they said they couldn't make empanadas because they couldn't find the discs. I had just assumed they made their own dough. I mean, a good dough can make or break an empanada.

When they first said it I thought they meant something like a tortilla press that helped them roll it out, I couldn't believe that they bought pre-made dough and that they thought that they would be able to source that everywhere they went.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

I suspect that they would normally make their own dough, but for the competition they were using pre-made disks. Typically, empanada dough is a dough that you need to refrigerate for a couple of hours. That's not something you can afford to do in this competition. They should have figured out an alternative solution with refrigerated biscuit dough, puff pastry, or refrigerated pie crust because those are available everywhere.

• Love 1

Well...that didn't last long.  My fondness for the Southern mama is gone.  It was only because she reminded me of my grandma, I swear.  I'm ashamed to admit that it's taken me this long to realize that she's not even from Kentucky.  She's just so over the top, with her screaming about that other team parking near her, and wailing over losing her precious recipe out the window (why on earth would she have it near an open food truck window in the first place?  Was she admiring it at stop lights?).  Whatever...the sooner she is off my tv, the better.  I'm actually torn if I want her or Mikey to go first, though.  She's annoying, but OMG Mikey wears more makeup then just about any girl I know!  This is probably going to sound shallow, but if I had a choice of food trucks, I'm probably not going to give my money to the one with they guy outside wearing lip gloss.   

About the empanada dough.  A simple google search gave me a recipe that could be used immediately, with readily available ingredients.  It was actually the very first one that came up.  No reason to have to buy it frozen.

• Love 5
On 8/30/2017 at 6:31 PM, Nessie said:

and wailing over losing her precious recipe out the window (why on earth would she have it near an open food truck window in the first place?  Was she admiring it at stop lights?).  

This!!  First of all, it's something she's made a lot from what she said, so it seems like something she would know by heart.  And second, why did she have it out? Was she reading it to see what they needed to buy maybe, along with talking on the phone and driving a food truck!?

• Love 5
On 8/30/2017 at 4:25 PM, Hockeymom said:

That was a wholesale club. They may not have enough to purchase all the items in bulk.

I was wondering about this. Do they have to shop at stores designated by the show? I seem to remember in earlier seasons, teams would often go to specialty stores or local restaurants to source specific foods they needed. I miss that. Now it seems like they're always at a Sam's Club or Costco or whatever.

• Love 1

I'm in Pensacola, and all of the shots there are legit downtown.  We have a beautiful historical district right on the waterfront and the balconies with iron railings are very prevalent and very traditional Southern, as is the architecture and city layout.  

I wish they had mentioned that NAS Pensacola is also home to the Blue Angels flight team, but they left that out.  

That really was our Mayor, Ashton Hayward (He was a few years behind me in high school).   The trucks shopped at Sam's Club, since it's the only warehouse club in town. The empanada people could actually have gotten the Goya brand discos at either Winn Dixie, or Publix.  We have quite a few of those.  

This were filmed back in May, so the town was pretty excited and had a lot of people turn out to watch the filming and try the food.  It's fun to watch and see all the places I drive by every day. 

Funny thing is we have a food truck area downtown with permanently parked trucks.  6 of them, not 1/4 mile from the courthouse where the show trucks were parked for the competition.  The permanent truck area has tables with umbrellas, public restrooms, etc.  It's a thing here already!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3
On 8/27/2017 at 10:53 PM, AmandaPanda said:

I literally cringe every time the Southern mom opens her mouth. I was so disappointed they got immunity. 

Me too, until I realized the immunity was meaningless. The immunity was for that leg, not the next one. It was very unlikely that whoever sold the most snapper was going home anyway, so immunity was kind of a given. 

On 8/27/2017 at 11:31 PM, Maverick said:

Count me among those who couldn't believe they just gave up on making empanadas when Sam's didn't have discos. The fact that they couldn't or wouldn't make their own dough tells me these people aren't real chefs. But then I think there are very few real chefs in the competition this year. 

On 8/28/2017 at 1:47 PM, jcbrown said:

So disgusted that Bitch-on-a-stick did not go home. The shrieking, the affected folksiness, the way she treats her sons--I cannot stand her. I actually don't mind the breakfast/brunch folks. They at least stand out more than the other unmemorable personalities and their food seems well-received.

Ha! Bitch-on-a-stick it is! Torn between wanting her gone now and wanting her around long enough for me to get to call her that a few times :)

On 8/30/2017 at 8:31 PM, Nessie said:

This is probably going to sound shallow, but if I had a choice of food trucks, I'm probably not going to give my money to the one with they guy outside wearing lip gloss.   

His makeup is probably the least annoying thing about him to me, apart from the way it screams "Me, Me, Me!" like everything else he does. 

• Love 2

Just curious why we're calling the southern mama Bitch on a Stick?

Her accent is annoying to me, but what did she do bitchy? She looks to have raised two young men who love her and support her enough to traipse around in a food truck to help their mom realize her dream. She must have been a pretty good mom to have raised such caring sons.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

Just curious why we're calling the southern mama Bitch on a Stick?

Her accent is annoying to me, but what did she do bitchy? She looks to have raised two young men who love her and support her enough to traipse around in a food truck to help their mom realize her dream. She must have been a pretty good mom to have raised such caring sons.

Cause Ediitng has shown a few bitchy moments From her.

• Love 1
On 8/27/2017 at 10:52 PM, mlp said:

I noticed the same thing. Not only was she driving while on the phone, she was turning around, looking out the window, fooling around with that slip of paper she lost and swerving when that happened. She was an accident waiting to happen. 

On 8/30/2017 at 0:37 PM, biakbiak said:

Yeah it was only one fish which is why it was a stupid challenge because when they showed the Po' Boy and one of the other teams the filet was so large that they clearly only got four dishes out of it and it showed them "selling out" early.

When they announced the winner the dude from the Southern French team wondered how the winners could have made so much money out of ONE fish.

I said the same thing when watching Po' Boys show those huge filets from a single fish. I said they just ensured they would only have 4 portions, yet somehow, they managed to do like Jesus, feed hundreds from a single fish. Must have been a divine miracle. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

If they are in Georgia and look at their phone, much less talk on it, they will get pulled over by the cops who don't mess around when it comes to giving tickets.

But a cop has to see them. I'm in MD where it is now a primary offense, and I still see people talking on their phones while driving. The police can't be everywhere. When I see people weaving in front of me during the day, and I see it often, I assume they are on their phone not paying attention to driving.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Yes, they have to see it. But if someone is driving around for 3 hours looking for a spot.... chances are....

Still don't buy it. I could spend 3 hours driving and never see a cop. Heck, I saw someone run a red light with a police car viewing it and ignored it.