Type keyword(s) to search

Larry & Jenny: Not Good Enough for the Pilot

• Start Topic

On 10/8/2017 at 11:19 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

You don't travel to  most countries without Imodium. Larry obviously has little or no sensibilities about anything.  

I bet Paul had a case of Imodium in one of his many plastic trunks.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

I bet Paul had a case of Imodium in one of his many plastic trunks.

I was just going to write that he should have called Paul! Larry is certainly out if his depth when he travels outside of Pinellas. Jenny is going to have a very dull life. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, chickenella said:

Re: Larry's vegetarianism...

Larry has stated on shousal media that he's vegetarian. I haven't seen actual evidence if he is or isn't, just what he claims.

Larry is a vegetarian and is a manager of a Macdonald's...I could see how he could not want to eat the burgers, (it's my once every blue moon secret junk food crave) but why didn't Jenny tell her family he does not eat meat?

• Love 5

OK, after reading all these comments (here and the episode page), and trying to put myself in a similar situation, I guess I would say that I would try to eat whatever somebody made for me, ESPECIALLY when I see the level of poverty and KNOW that they've made a huge effort for me.  But, if it was something that truly 100% disgusted me (again, eyeballs come to mind) I would apologize, express my gratitude, say the eyeballs look delicious  and eat everything ELSE.   Then I would express my appreciation again.  Also, if I was a vegetarian, that would have been part of my "getting to know you" discussions online months in advance.  "Oh yes, I am a vegetarian because....."  Hey, a way for somebody to get to know you.  Novel idea!!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chickenella said:

Re: Larry's vegetarianism...

Larry has stated on shousal media that he's vegetarian. I haven't seen actual evidence if he is or isn't, just what he claims.

sounds like he is pretending to be a vegetarian post filming in Phillipines. He did not state on the show that he could not eat the pig because he did not eat meat. He said it looked disgusting and he didn't want to get diarhea. Whatever crap he made up after he realized what a cafone he came off us I'm not buying.  Had he really been a vegetarian at the time of the pig he would have said it to Jenny and/or the cameras, which he didn't.  Anyone who believes being a vegetarian is not why Larry wouldn't eat the lechon,,,,well I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Bellalisa said:

sounds like he is pretending to be a vegetarian post filming in Phillipines. He did not state on the show that he could not eat the pig because he did not eat meat. He said it looked disgusting and he didn't want to get diarhea. Whatever crap he made up after he realized what a cafone he came off us I'm not buying.  Had he really been a vegetarian at the time of the pig he would have said it to Jenny and/or the cameras, which he didn't.  Anyone who believes being a vegetarian is not why Larry wouldn't eat the lechon,,,,well I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

I agree.  I don't truly believe he is a vegetarian because he would've said something to Jenny about it, especially when he saw how upset she got about him not eating the lechon.  I also don't believe something like that wouldn't have come up between the two of them before he traveled out of the country.  Being a vegetarian isn't always easy here so I would think that's a question he would've asked his love about her country.  I don't buy it. 

I was just so disgusted by his behavior.  It's not only that he wouldn't eat the pork, it's the disrespectful faces he made and the spitting it out after he barely let it touch his tongue and the complete cluelessness when Jenny was hurt by it.  She just finished showing him how humbly her family lives and they go out of their way to make you a big meal to show you a welcome and you can't act like a grown ass adult and just eat what they serve you. I'm horrified and disgusted by him.  I was feeling sorry for him but no more.  He's insensitive and ignorant.  How is it that you claim to love filipino women and yet you don't understand Filipino culture and make no effort to understand it?  I'm dumbfounded by it. 

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Granny58 said:

OK, after reading all these comments (here and the episode page), and trying to put myself in a similar situation, I guess I would say that I would try to eat whatever somebody made for me, ESPECIALLY when I see the level of poverty and KNOW that they've made a huge effort for me.  But, if it was something that truly 100% disgusted me (again, eyeballs come to mind) I would apologize, express my gratitude, say the eyeballs look delicious  and eat everything ELSE.   Then I would express my appreciation again.  Also, if I was a vegetarian, that would have been part of my "getting to know you" discussions online months in advance.  "Oh yes, I am a vegetarian because....."  Hey, a way for somebody to get to know you.  Novel idea!!!

Nobody in America is as disgusted by pork as they would be by something like eyeballs. Vegetarian or not, Americans have grown up seeing meat and watching people eat it. Even if we find it morally wrong to eat an animal, it still wouldn't be as gross to us as eyeballs or testicles or something else that we aren't used to seeing at the local deli. I do agree that there are some things that I would find it very very hard to eat, but family Jenny didn't serve anything weird. It was just pork. Sad to see the poor little pig like that but it's still not something that's overly shocking for Americans, and if he loves Jenny that fucking much, he could have acted like an adult for a few minutes and eaten what they served. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Nobody in America is as disgusted by pork as they would be by something like eyeballs. Vegetarian or not, Americans have grown up seeing meat and watching people eat it. Even if we find it morally wrong to eat an animal, it still wouldn't be as gross to us as eyeballs or testicles or something else that we aren't used to seeing at the local deli. I do agree that there are some things that I would find it very very hard to eat, but family Jenny didn't serve anything weird. It was just pork. Sad to see the poor little pig like that but it's still not something that's overly shocking for Americans, and if he loves Jenny that fucking much, he could have acted like an adult for a few minutes and eaten what they served. 

Yes, I agree.  I was actually thinking of the discussions about "eat whatever is served you!" and while I would like to say I would eat anything, I am sure there are things I simply couldn't eat.  Eyes and testicles, yes, and actually squid/octopus.   So even though I'm not a pork fan, yeah, it's not weird.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Granny58 said:

Yes, I agree.  I was actually thinking of the discussions about "eat whatever is served you!" and while I would like to say I would eat anything, I am sure there are things I simply couldn't eat.  Eyes and testicles, yes, and actually squid/octopus.   So even though I'm not a pork fan, yeah, it's not weird.

Right after watching Larry gagging on plain old pork, Mr. AZC and I caught an expanded episode of "The Last Alaskans."  These folks have to go out and hunt for their food - no caribou, no meat for the winter.  In one scene, one of the featured couples was very excited because they were going to cook and enjoy the biggest delicacies to be found on a moose - the liver, heart, and SNOUT.  They looked like people on the Food Network tasting the most amazing thing that had ever gone into their mouths.  And it was VISIBLY the moose's snout that they were cutting into delicate bite-sized pieces to savor.

Larry had better not hook up with any Eskimos.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

They spent several days together before the family get-together.  She'd have noticed if he were a vegetarian, and would have saved her family the expense of buying a pig that he c/wouldn't eat.

exactly, plus they showed him in that scene with his sons right before he left eating a hotdog. If this is what he is saying, then he realized he looked like a jackass and made up an excuse to defend himself AFTER the event. Not a bad strategy because some people will buy it. 

It also really irks Jenny when he starts shaking and sweating. She screams at him: RELAX. She realizes she has a real piece of work on her hands. But who can blame her for wanting to get out of that horrible poverty. I wish I could send this family something, money, a bed...a floor

My friend was in China with her future in-laws. They served her all kinds of mystery food. She had to eat it to show respect. They were all excited about their local specialties. If she would ask "what is this?" they would say "meat" lol. Some of it was on eyeballs level of unappealing. But she ate it and smiled and said it was good. She is not a rube. 

• Love 7

I found the actual quote: "I don't remember the last time I ate meat". He is not saying he is vegetarian. I eat very little meat and I can't remember the last time I ate it either, but I am not a vegetarian.  That explains it. 

Just now, Bellalisa said:

I found the actual quote: "I don't remember the last time I ate meat". He is not saying he is vegetarian. I eat very little meat and I can't remember the last time I ate it either, but I am not a vegetarian.  That explains it. 

If he hasn't eaten meat since, Larry could look at the video where he tells his sons he's going to the Philippines.  He's eating a hot dog.  That should jog his memory a bit.

• LOL 2
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

If he hasn't eaten meat since, Larry could look at the video where he tells his sons he's going to the Philippines.  He's eating a hot dog.  That should jog his memory a bit.

HA HA HA HA!!!

so funny! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Which is worse than eating lechon, in my book.

• Love 4

5 HOURS AGO, AZCHRISTIAN SAID:

Sorry, I can't quote correctly I'm posting from my phone (bored at work).

Larry is quickly losing points with me.  Being a vegetarian I was on his side,  but it seem he's just saying that he is  as a means of damage control. He seemed like a nice guy, a little weird but the lying and the lack is empathy when Jenny was upset, not good. Well, I'd still take him over Paul anyday.

• Love 3
On 9/4/2017 at 5:48 PM, Major Bigtime said:

He's a paranoid control freak. He will never be able to control her, I can tell that already. Shades of creepy Mark.

He showed his true colors by the way he handled the pork aversion incident.  He didn't feel the tiniest bit bad about it, he got mad at Jenny for being upset.   That says it all about what kind of a person he is.  Wimpy, tiny, not so bright as he is, he's not a nice person.  I feel sorry for Jenny.  I think she is under massive pressure to find an American husband so she can send money back to her family the way her mother does.   She's really just a slave hoping for the best slavemaster she can find.   It's tragic.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ScarlettRuby said:

She's really just a slave hoping for the best slavemaster she can find.   It's tragic.

It is tragic. 

23 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I can only hope her dad wanting them to wait was real & that he won't be giving blessings for any possible marriage with Larry.

I hope so as well.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2017 at 10:24 PM, orangeiguana said:

Too bad they didn't roast a "pretty goat." Those ain't for petting, Larry...

He probably doesn't know they are for eating.  It's on the menu at most Indian and definitely all Pakistani restaurants.  I live in Texas, and we have a large Mexican American community that love them some cabrito. 

Larry, you are such a sad sack bag of nerves. I really want to like you and see you happy because all you want is someone to love you, and in the grand scheme of things, it's really not too much to ask.  Refusing to eat the lechon was a horrible faux pas.  You weren't asked to eat balut or entrails, and for all my English politeness and sensibilities, I wouldn't have been able to do it, either.  Had you had any issue, you could have asked Jenny to make your excuses and partaken of other food offered and acted grateful for their efforts instead of sulking like a toddler. That's what Imodium is for.

• Love 6

So can we (normal people with common sense and the good fortune of viewing access to Trainwreck Larry) just assume that Jenny has a secret (half dozen) Filipino Cupid profiles?   This way Larry can see she hasn't logged in for a while... ON THE ACCOUNT HE KNOWS ABOUT. 

Or is it just assumed that she's got active accounts all over the place and Larry isn't smart enough to do a search?  

I can't believe she's even pretending to take part in this sham without throwing his name out there occasionally.  If she was really dropping all her other 'Murican men-frenz, she would use Larry's name once in a while.  This makes the "Yes love" thing just stand out more to me.  

Maybe I just want more from this relationship (which I don't really want at all, tbh) because it doesn't live up to the crazy we've all become so accustomed to.  (Thanks, Nicole. Thanks, Anfisa.  Thanks... well, anyone but Patrick and Miryam who are just too boring.)

Maybe I just need a Snickers bar because I'm actually quite cranky right now.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

So lechon is roasted pig?  Or am I missing something?  What was so offensive about eating a roasted pig?  Is it eating pork?  Why do I care?

Yes.  That’s the Spanish language name for it, and since there is a lot of Spanish influence in the Philippines , they call it that there as well.  It’s a very popular dish among Cubans and Puerto Rican’s, too.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Yes.  That’s the Spanish language name for it, and since there is a lot of Spanish influence in the Philippines , they call it that there as well.  It’s a very popular dish among Cubans and Puerto Rican’s, too.

Wondering to myself why I care......lol......Larry has never been to a pig roast?  Ever?  It can't be seeing the pig laid out, can it?  Is it that Larry is gunning for Lord Douchebag?  Did I just answer my own question?

PS - I am from Minnesota - we have big manners and big appetites.  You put food out that you saved for, labored for, presented in a loving manner.  We are going to 1) eat it as that is how we were brought up and 2) ask for seconds as again, we love to eat.  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 9

Do foreign fiancées who are not on TV shows have incredibly awkward exchanges with rude in laws who Skype them or meet them for drinks and tell them “We think you’re a gold digging whore” or “Don’t come to America with that attitude”?

Think of how many on this show got grilled by very direct, meddling  in-laws: Jenny, Alla, Noon, Anfisa, Devar, Pedro, there must be more.

Also, how many logo-less baseball caps did Larry bring with him? I count beige, blue, and of course white. And a grey flat cap.

Edited by gavinmac
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, gavinmac said:

Also, how many logo-less baseball caps did Larry bring with him? I count beige, blue, and of course white. And a grey flat cap.

You’ve got to match the outfit.  Larry is as bald as a cue ball either by genetics, alopecia, or history of chemo. Or he is one of those guys who shaves his head not to mess with hair.  Chemo made me lose my hair temporarily.  I had to keep my little bald head warm.  It’s surprising weird how much heat leaves your head.  He might like to keep his head warm.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MrHufflepuff said:

Here's a little ditty I came up with...

When you use your IRA

Just to get your fiancé

Diarrhea-r!  Diarrhea-r!

When your hat and shirt and shoes

Make you look like you're Calliou

Diarrhea-r!  Diarrhea-r!

You win the Internet today.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

You win the Internet today.

Why, thank you!

When they offer you some pig,

And you act just like a prig

Diarrhea-r!  Diarrhea-r!

When your fiancé calls you "road,"

But you think she called you "old"

Diarrhea-r!  Diarrhea-r!

Edited by MrHufflepuff
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 10/13/2017 at 1:49 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Larry, you are such a sad sack bag of nerves. I really want to like you and see you happy because all you want is someone to love you, and in the grand scheme of things, it's really not too much to ask.  Refusing to eat the lechon was a horrible faux pas. 

I like Larry and want him to find love.  The ones I hate are the old guys who think they are owed a beautiful young girl because they are American.  Never mind that they are poor, fat and old.  Larry tried and failed at home.  It looks like his cousin found a woman from the Philippines so maybe Larry decided to try that route.  Larry is certainly not evil or an awful person.  I hope it works out for him.  

As for the pig roast, for some reason he was terrified that he would get diarrhea and cramps.  If he had, I would imagine they would have taken that as an insult too.  I don't think Larry has an easy time winning at anything.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Lemons said:

I don't think Larry has an easy time winning at anything. 

No. It doesn’t appear so, which is why I really think out of all of them he deserves a bit of happiness for a change. He’s Stage 5 Clinger desperate and needy, but he’s basically harmless.  I don’t get creeper dirty old man looking for a trophy wife vibe, but someone who just decided to try his luck elsewhere.  

Jenny  could do much worse than Larry without even trying.

He gets my snark, because I love to snark, but out of all of this season’s crop, I’m hoping he finds happiness.

• Love 9
On 10/10/2017 at 2:16 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

Larry is a vegetarian and is a manager of a Macdonald's...I could see how he could not want to eat the burgers, (it's my once every blue moon secret junk food crave) but why didn't Jenny tell her family he does not eat meat?

Off topic but I love me a good Big Mac.  

• Love 4