Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: The Sip-N-See Stand Off

• Start Topic

Baby Aspen had a helmet as early as April 2017 - similar to the one Dorit had for Phoenix.

dish-042617-meghan-k-edmonds.jpg

My cousin's son had one for about 11 months. Poor thing had to wear it 23 hours a day.

It stunk to high hell!!!!

I know because my cousin said you wanna smell and she stuck it near my nose before I could get out of the way. It is in my top 10 rancid odor list - sort of like dehydrated vomit, body odor and rotten cheese melded into one scent

• Love 5
4 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

; Megan hosts a Sip-N-See for baby Aspen.

Was it ATL Phaedra's Sip-n-See for her first child that had the quasi-ballet dancers whirlin' and (pre Kenya) twirlin' among the attendees?

• Love 4

That baby shower was an all-time Housewives moment. Ah, those were the days when I could still enjoy Phaedra, long before she revealed herself to be a spiteful, mean-spirited woman with almost no conscience to speak of...

• Love 17
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:41 PM, KungFuBunny said:

Baby Aspen had a helmet as early as April 2017 - similar to the one Dorit had for Phoenix.

My cousin's son had one for about 11 months. Poor thing had to wear it 23 hours a day.

I know because my cousin said you wanna smell and she stuck it near my nose before I could get out of the way. It is in my top 10 rancid odor list - sort of like dehydrated vomit, body odor and rotten cheese melded into one scent

Guys - Meghan's thumb to wrist.  That cave in.  This is not a good thing for an early 30 year old woman.  the veins going to ring finger.  these are they hands and forearms of a woman twice her age. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

Guys - Meghan's thumb to wrist.  That cave in.  This is not a good thing for an early 30 year old woman.  the veins going to ring finger.  these are they hands and forearms of a woman twice her age. 

Nah, I had veins like that in my 20's (as did my mother) and they look the same now that I am 60, they never changed. I/we got my great grandfathers hands, thin  and veiny (even when I was heavy they stood out). LOL

• Love 13
On Wednesday, August 09, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Mu Shu said:

Why does the baby have to wear a helmet?  Is she a stunt baby?

Because current best practices is to have babies sleep on their back which can create a flat back of the skull that can lead to other issues. It's also what leads to babies having "tummy time," helmets on babies is fairly common.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Because current best practices is to have babies sleep on their back which can create a flat back of the skull that can lead to other issues. It's also what leads to babies having "tummy time," helmets on babies is fairly common.

My kids never had the back of their skull go flat laying on their backs, but all of their hair back there did rub off.  I don't know if this is a thing people still do, but for a while stores were selling helmets for kids who were learning to walk in case (and of course) they topple over and bonk their heads.  With matching knee pads.  I was tempted to buy them for kid #1 until I realized that kids will eventually be old enough to climb trees and figure out the most dangerous way to play with every toy. 

How old was Aspen at the time these early episodes were filmed?  I thought 2 months but also thought I saw 5 months.  There's a fairly big difference there.  She looks more like 5 months (and she doesn't seem to need her head supported) but she also seems to spend a lot of time laying down in her stroller or bassinet (like a 2 month old) and I'd think at 5 months they'd have her propped up a little more.

Edited by TheVoicesToldMeTo
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

What?  Babies survived and thrived for millennia, and now we have to plunk helmets on them?  

Until recently (last 10 years or so)the best practices were to have them sleep on their stomachs, we are talking about babies young enough that they can't turn over on their own so it does make a difference. Again, it doesn't become an issue with all kids but it does with many and even those that it's not impacting development it can still be a cosmetic thing that can be easily helped.

• Love 4

Has anyone heard of a "Sip-n-See" in real life?  Why does booze have to factor in?

Having a party to introduce your newborn to your friends/family, after you've had time to adjust to being a new parent is one thing, but a "Sip-n-See" seems like a great opportunity to have a bunch of white-wine-drunk mothers (with much older kids) judge you, give you unsolicited or outdated advice, or have menopausal woman cry that they want more babies.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

Has anyone heard of a "Sip-n-See" in real life?  Why does booze have to factor in?

Because babies that aren't your own are boring as fuck? I have been to the equivalent though no one called it that and neither guests or the newborns parents got drunk. People came they saw, had a glass of wine or beer and had savory and/or sweet bite and then left.

• Love 23
30 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Because babies that aren't your own are boring as fuck? I have been to the equivalent though no one called it that and neither guests or the newborns parents got drunk. People came they saw, had a glass of wine or beer and had savory and/or sweet bite and then left.

Why attend an event that you pre-judged as "boring as fuck"?   My question was if anyone had attended a SipNSee.  Having a party to introduce your newborn is a thing people do.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

Having a party to introduce your newborn to your friends/family, after you've had time to adjust to being a new parent is one thing, but a "Sip-n-See" seems like a great opportunity to have a bunch of white-wine-drunk mothers (with much older kids) judge you, give you unsolicited or outdated advice, or have menopausal woman cry that they want more babies.

Yes - I have been to a few of them.  Some served alcohol and some only had iced tea and lemonade.  You can guess which ones I stayed at longer.  :) 

• Love 12

Sip-N-See is not unusual in the South. Usually grandmothers will invite their friends/relatives over to meet the new baby. Sometimes, alcohol is served and sometimes not. I was never in favor of them because I didn't want my very young baby passed around a bunch of women and subjected to possible germs, etc. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

. People came they saw, had a glass of wine or beer and had savory and/or sweet bite and then left.

LOL, didn't Kim Z say something like this many seasons ago in a TH re the idiocy of Phaedra's Sip n See? Something like: Who the hell does an event like this? Invite some guests, have a glass of wine and some cake, see the baby and split.

Kim Z actually made some sense. I would dig around for the link but work is bellowing. >:-(

Correct info directly below -- thanks BBHN! Dwight in a tiara -- I had forgotten that

Edited by steelcitysister
wrong event!!!
  • Love 3
On 8/9/2017 at 9:41 AM, KungFuBunny said:

Sounds like what old school hair extensions smelled like after taking them out (circa 1988).  I had to help take my coworkers out and ew!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

Why attend an event that you pre-judged as "boring as fuck"? 

I said babies are boring not the event. Typically you hold the child for a minute pass it on and then talk to your friends. 

I am already falling asleep at the notion of Vicki trying to find balance with her new shady dude who she clearly wishes was Brooks.

• Love 6

At least the shady dude has teeth and looks like he doesn't smell like 3 day old sweat, cheap cigars, and Pabst blue ribbon beer.  If you are going to pay a guy to be your fake BF, may as well get a decent looking one.

• Love 16
11 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

At least the shady dude has teeth and looks like he doesn't smell like 3 day old sweat, cheap cigars, and Pabst blue ribbon beer.  If you are going to pay a guy to be your fake BF, may as well get a decent looking one.

I chuckle every time I remember that Steve is Roger Lodge's brother.

On 8/11/2017 at 3:03 PM, BBHN said:

@steelcitysister

It was at the baby shower that Kim made the comment.

The Sip and See was a different event:

When Phaedra's pretension and lunacy were inwardly focused, the results were usually hilarious. Anytime she started focusing on someone else, she turned mean and sour.

• Love 8
On 8/9/2017 at 8:41 PM, KungFuBunny said:

My daughter had it.  I was told to use rubbing alcohol to clean it which normally did help.  So, the hour a day that it was off, I would scour the thing with rubbing alcohol and then leave it in the sunshine and it would usually smell fairly fresh after that. It also helped that as her head grew and filled out, they would shave off certain areas of the helmet which got rid of some of the stinkiness. 

On 8/11/2017 at 6:18 PM, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

My kids never had the back of their skull go flat laying on their backs, but all of their hair back there did rub off.  I don't know if this is a thing people still do, but for a while stores were selling helmets for kids who were learning to walk in case (and of course) they topple over and bonk their heads.  With matching knee pads.  I was tempted to buy them for kid #1 until I realized that kids will eventually be old enough to climb trees and figure out the most dangerous way to play with every toy. 

How old was Aspen at the time these early episodes were filmed?  I thought 2 months but also thought I saw 5 months.  There's a fairly big difference there.  She looks more like 5 months (and she doesn't seem to need her head supported) but she also seems to spend a lot of time laying down in her stroller or bassinet (like a 2 month old) and I'd think at 5 months they'd have her propped up a little more.

Man, my oldest (the one that had the helmet) was lucky.  Our house had really thick carpeting with good padding underneath so I didn't really worry if she fell down. My youngest was born in the Middle East and all of our floors are tile here. My nanny and I followed him around constantly when he was first learning to walk (and subsequently climbing on EVERYTHING) because we knew one fall and it would be BAD.

On 8/10/2017 at 11:20 PM, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

Enh, I have that. It might just be a thin person thing. I'm in my mid-30's now (I refuse to acknowledge that I'm quickly moving towards or might already be at late 30's) and have always had that. The thumb thing isn't really a cave in.  It is just the tendons when I put my thumb in a certain position. My veins do that primarily when I'm hot. 

On 8/11/2017 at 5:51 PM, Mu Shu said:

What?  Babies survived and thrived for millennia, and now we have to plunk helmets on them?  

Yep. We started putting them to sleep on their backs to prevent SIDS but the side effect was that some got misshapen skulls.  Insurance won't always cover the cost of the helmet (my daughter's was and I'm one of the few that I know of) because it is usually considered cosmetic (it can also be caused by torticollis and some other things that will lead to insurance covering the helmet). My daughter's flat spot on her skull was on the side of her head and actually pushed part of her face forward so they panicked and thought she had a brain tumor. 

• Love 2
On 8/10/2017 at 4:54 PM, WireWrap said:

Nah, I had veins like that in my 20's (as did my mother) and they look the same now that I am 60, they never changed. I/we got my great grandfathers hands, thin  and veiny (even when I was heavy they stood out). LOL

you don't look 60!

• Love 2
On 8/9/2017 at 11:41 AM, KungFuBunny said:

I am seeing more or more of this.  I believe it's because you are not suppose to let the infants sleep on their tummy any longer because of SIDS, etc.

• Love 1
Just now, Bronzedog said:

Lately I've been vacuuming during this show, but, after hearing about Kelly's "itchy, crusty woohaw". I'm going to start drinking heavily tonight instead.

Can't you do both? 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Amber and Jim Marchese2.01 are going to make me shoot myself.  It's really not adorable to not understand American sayings when you've been here for decades.  I don't understand why she wants to appear stupid.

My niece had 2 Sip and Sees.  We were the only two who were sober by the end.

Lately I've been vacuuming during this show, but, after hearing about Kelly's "itchy, crusty woohaw". I'm going to start drinking heavily tonight instead.

This show is one long Sip N See...

• Love 23
On 8/11/2017 at 8:51 AM, Mu Shu said:

I know what your saying, but my ex did have a really flat head in the back.  

• Love 1

With my first child they wanted me to put him in a helmet. I opted to get a CT scan done instead to see if there was any abnormalities before going that route. We are in the south and it was summer so if I didn't have to go the helmet route I didn't want to. CT scan came back absolutely normal so we didn't do the helmet. I was very viligant about rotating which end of the crib he slept on and tummy time. He ended up fine. That being said, Aspen definitely had a more obvious flat head than my son ever did but she's still cute as hell!

• Love 4

It kills me to say anything nice about Lydia, but I loved her outfit at the sushi place, especially the skirt.  I would wear that all the time in the Fall.

Rolled my eyes at her saying the magazine is her livelihood, what a joke.  Please - it's a stupid project for her to throw her money away on and have some kind of storyline (albeit a laughable one).

• Love 15

My son was a preemie and in the hospital for 2 months (back in the stomach sleeper days) and I remember his pediatrician telling me the preemies often had "toaster head," so I guess it happens!  He's 26 now and his head seems fine ... ?

• Love 3

Boring.....

These ladies better get their acts together and I mean that literally and figuratively!

I don't want to hear anymore about Shannon being hungry or Coto friggin insurance.

Thank you to everyone here who entertained me this evening, much more than the rhoc.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 11
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:20 PM, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

Who cares what Meghan's veins look like. NOT a big deal.The focus is on her baby.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

Gee...has this show gone downhill or is it just me? 

No, it's not just you, I was going to post the same thing. This show is such a snoozefest and I'm sick of them rehashing the same old story's from last season and none of these women are likeable. 

• Love 20