Type keyword(s) to search

Mike & Molly - General Discussion

• Start Topic

While I know it's a sitcom and everything usually ends up neatly resolved in the end, IMO it would have made for a more interesting story had Molly NOT managed to win back everything she lost in the end. 

Don't forget, this is a one-income couple, living with her mother, hoping to have a baby despite thousands of dollars in debt....and here Molly went and racked up nine thousand dollars more. In a single weekend! 

I can't quite figure out where TPTB are going with this storyline. As mentioned, it's a sitcom, and rarely are such huge issues addressed seriously upon them. Yet in truth, Molly does have a MAJOR problem with money, and because of that, this couple will likely be in debt all their lives. It's really hard to simply ha-ha and move on. It's like they themselves can't figure out how to deal with it, as the issue keeps coming up, but then it's dismissed or momentarily solved.

• Love 1

I loved this episode.  It was touching, but also very funny at times.  I thought the writers handled the subject very well, and I was pleasantly surprised that we got the backstory on Carl and his Nana.  I'd been wondering the past few seasons why he used to live with her and where his parents were.  I also liked that it was a true ensemble episode where everyone got nearly equal screen time instead of it being "The Molly Show". 

• Love 1

I had a balance of sweet, bittersweet, funny and touching.  Plus, we got to hear Nana sing again (and Carl can sing nicely too)!

I am ashamed that I thought about the going back to pay for the snacks before the joke was mentioned on-screen.  Still, the writers could have had Cecile( or Cecelia?) die a bit longer than an hour back; the guys would've still been on the road, but there would have been no easy, cheap laugh about Mike actually paying for food they actually stole. (Yes, it was unintentional, but having two Chicago cops nabbed over theft after those same cops busted a Kentucky gun-runner? Not a good thing.)

I did love Nana's "What are you doing now?" and Molly's "I was going to hug you!" 

I don't think I could ever get tired of hearing Samuel/ Nyambi's voice; it's very pleasant to listen to, for me. 

• Love 1

What's interesting is, once he gets over the shock and hurt, Carl shouldn't actually be that surprised. I think it was last season, Grandma made a reference to Carl's grandfather, and when Carl said, "I though he was dead!" she answered, "He's dead to me!"  Sounds like pretty much the same situation -- someone in the family leaves for selfish reasons, and Grandma writes them off and tells Carl they died to protect him.

The whole JC character might have been funny if they had just done it once and moved on; but a second one, and so soon after, was just kinda pushing it. 

And yeah, we get it, Molly's not a lesbian. Stop with the jokes of her getting hit on.

While it was admirable of Carl, being such a loyal friend as to want to loan Mike the money for a new car, WTF was he thinking??? He wouldn't loan to Samuel, yet he would to Mike, because Mike has steady income?? Is he totally in the dark about his friend's financial dark hole?

I also liked this episode - partly because it was a bit more serious than we usually get on this show, and partly because it's high time a side character had some real plotline.

BUT...am I crazy, or did they mention a few seasons back about Carl having a dad? I seem to recall an episode where Mike and Carl were at a baseball game, reminiscing about going to games as kids, all the junk food they'd get, etc...and Carl said he went with his dad...

Was this the season ender? I can never tell with this show. This was an Ok episode, and as it involved all of the characters, and and nothing of real consequence happened.

I wonder if they will drop this writing storyline next season as quickly as they dropped her pregnancy from last season.

The saddest part IMO was when Molly was in the kitchen with Joyce and Victoria, and one of them told her she could go on an eight-week orgy and Mike would still be waiting for her after, likely with a bouquet of flowers. I know it was supposed to be funny, but IMO it was just downright pathetic because it's TRUE. At least in this episode Mike finally grew a backbone enough to TELL her that he's supportive 24/7, but nothing much came of that. He's STILL supportive while Molly runs off to do whatever she wants.

On the contrary, I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that if MIKE were to go away for eight weeks - not even something of his own choice, but say, some kind of police training or something - Molly would be whining and stomping around and give him hell about it, make him apologize 24/7.

Whatever happened to Season 1 Molly, that funny, intelligent, reasonable woman? Bring her back ASAP!!

• Love 2

I know that Victoria's character is supposed to be centered on her not being able to be in a relationship, but come on...if she's going to be a regular or even semi regular character, they either need to finally let her get serious with someone, or else give her some other real storyline (for instance, what happened to her taking some classes? I remember her telling Molly last season she would, and then we never heard about it again...) She's almost as bad as Joyce, just sitting in the kitchen or living room, waiting to give advice or make wisecracks to Molly. What's the point of these characters??

That Iowa workshop is a real thing, though, a very prestigious thing, and any writer who got in would be a fool to turn it down. I don't think there's anything wrong with what she did, except that she should have told him when she applied. But even that is minor, and Mike should have been thrilled to hear of her success, and cheering her on. If mike had really tried to stop her from going, I would have thought he was an abusive jerk. Her professional development is important. It's not like she just decided to go on a joyride across the nation for funzies.

• Love 1

What a shame that this show has clearly jumped.  I have been watching the old epis in syndication.  It was laugh out loud hysterical.  The mother, sister and Carl's grandmother were sitcom gold.  They dumped it all for Melissa McCarthy to do  "fat girl falls down shit" LAZY WRITING.

And! ! am A Dallas girl that LOVES, LOVES Chicago. The earlier epis with the most beautiful Chi skyline were so beautiful!

i am out.

FX is showing the first season, which I hadn't seen. Such a cute show and so fun to watch them navigate dating. I watched a season or so after they were married, and I'm a little sad how characters devolved. Carl and his Grandma should've had their own show.

• Love 3

I agree. In the early seasons, Molly was awkward but sweet and well meaning. Mike was a hard worker and a nice guy. They made a nice couple you rooted for. Once they got married she became a strident, selfish bitch and he became a kicked puppy who handed over his gonads and was afraid to disagree with anything she did or said. The tertiary characters are great, which kept me watching so far, but if this new season is more of the same, instead of a likeable couple I can root for, I'm out.

I totally agree about the earlier episodes being the best.  I just caught part of the episode where Molly wasn't happy that Mike was content to just sit on the couch, eat dinner and watch TV every night.  She wanted to go out now and then.  Instead of fighting about it, Molly just decided to go out with Victoria.  Mike was a little hurt and didn't understand, but no one was being mean or angry about it.  Mike found her at the club and they ended up dancing together.  Just funny and pleasant with no shouting or over-the-top physical comedy.  I did think that the funniest part was when Molly and Victoria were riding around in Victoria's car with all of the toys along the back window (Beanie Babies and such) and when Molly yelled 'red light! red light!', Victoria slammed on the brakes and all of the toys flew forward and landed in the front seat.  Funny!

• Love 3

Me, too.  The first season is practically playing on a loop and at first I wasn't interested.  I'd forgotten how Molly was warm and smart and funny, but could still stand up to Mike's mom with the occasional zinger.  Mike was a little bit oafish, but also sweet with his devotion to Molly.  Carl and Victoria were hilarious.  I miss that show.

• Love 5

I just started watching this show so I have a lot to catch up on but so far I love everyone except Molly.  I think the character is so overbearing and I don't know if it's just Melissa who is playing her or how the character is written.  I'm beginning to think maybe if another actress was Molly I'd fee different but who knows.  My absolute favorites are Victoria (love the actress playing her), Mikes mom, and Molly's mom.  Best episode was Mike and Victoria's talk of aliens and bigfoot.  LOL  It still makes me laugh.  Katy was so great in that scene - she has the perfect timing of a stoner, lol.  I have to add this show to my list of favs.

• Love 1

I just started watching repeats on FX. They are so cute together. I catch myself smiling. I guess it's gone downhill from comments. So sad. The same thing happened to the Big Bang Theory. It's like the writers phone it in when the show becomes popular.

I just started watching repeats on FX. They are so cute together. I catch myself smiling. I guess it's gone downhill from comments. So sad. The same thing happened to the Big Bang Theory. It's like the writers phone it in when the show becomes popular.

Okay, good to know.  I have friends who are hardcore Bangers and I've watched one or two recent ones, befuddled as to the greatness.

It was after Melissa McCarthy's movie career got going that they turned Molly into a frantic goof who never made it through an episode without literally falling on her face.  In the early shows, she was the voice of reason in a family of stoner sister, blowsy mom and mom's dubious boyfriend--it was sweet when Mike came along and she got something good for herself after wrangling all the crazy at home.  Seemed a bit forced later on when she started stalking celebrities and crashing forklifts. 

Edited by candall
  • Love 3

Molly returns home after she completed an eight week writing [work] shop on the fifth season premiere.

OK episode.  Typical Molly - spend her advance before it's really earned.  She still has to write the rest of the book.  I was glad Mike put his foot down.

Other notes - too many people in that house!  I thought Victoria looked heavier than last season.  A few good one-liners which I can't recall at the moment.

When Molly's book inevitably becomes a New York Times best seller will they still live with Joyce and Vince? I also find it hard to believe a Chicago police officer has to drive a 30 year old rusted car because he can't afford his own. Where exactly does their money go?

I used to really enjoy this show but since last season's retool its gone downhill.

• Love 1

My opinion of Molly hasn't changed.  I find her a selfish character.  Didn't tell Mike about the class out of state and then with an advanced check goes ahead and spends it without telling him. And who is to say that her book sells.  I'm assuming it's a given that his checks are spent where both parties are aware of but Molly's is Molly's?  That's not fair.  Hers should be no different but since Molly, with all her debt, can spend anyway she wants is it supposed to be cute/funny?  Need a new car get one that is sensible.  I guess I just don't find Molly all that likable when she tells Mike he can't do things but yet she hides the fact she signed up for a class out of state and then neglects to tell him about a car purchase.  They have a lot of debt (it's mentioned it's hers) so she spends freely.  I'm sure he can afford a newer car but why not pay off debt if the car is still running ok.

• Love 1

When Molly's book inevitably becomes a New York Times best seller will they still live with Joyce and Vince?

Here's my theory: the book will be a bestseller, she'll sell the movie rights, and Mike and Molly will move to L.A. Everyone else will have a cameo appearance on special episodes.

I just started watching the reruns on FX. I love the characters. I know this show doesn't depict reality and I don't want it to. I'm just here for the laughs. Mike and Molly are great comedic actors. Molly even does physical comedy well. As long as I'm laughing, I'm in. But if it goes the way of The Big Bang Theory and just rehashes old jokes, I'm out.

Edited by Rhetorica
My opinion of Molly hasn't changed.  I find her a selfish character.  Didn't tell Mike about the class out of state and then with an advanced check goes ahead and spends it without telling him. And who is to say that her book sells.

On the coming attractions for the episode, the narrator is rhyming (a la "'Twas the Night Before Christmas"), and Mike is called a "jerk" because he yells at Molly to get to writing her book and she starts to cry. That told me all I needed to know about this show now. Molly is irresponsible with money, quits her job to become a "writer," goes on an 8-week writing workshop, and now won't settle down to write her book, but somehow he's the bad guy?

• Love 3

Molly's book advance is at risk as she tries to overcome writer's block; Mike worries he could be part of the problem.

Some funny bits, including Molly's incredulity that Mike was listening to advice from Carl.  Also the sight gag regarding the plunger and the hemorrhoid pillow.  Not enough Victoria, but Mike's mother with the erotic books was amusing.

I liked also how they showed Mike trying to get tough and yelling at Molly, then immediately backing down and comforting her because she was crying.  The moments that show they care about each other are too rare, but touching when they happen.

• Love 2

Mike assures Molly he'll be home in time for Christmas Eve dinner until he and Carl end up in the back of a stolen truck. Also, Molly is upset with Vince for trying to change the family's Christmas traditions.

What have they done to our Molly?  She used to be fun, responsible, caring, and not such a be-otch. I'm calling this character assassination! Enough already!

Liked Mike and Carl in the back of the truck, and Carl's Christmas confession was touching. Nerf numchucks was funny. Carl's Nana should have joined them for dinner; since everyone was a couple, maybe she could have brought a boyfriend.

I've watched this show with hope since the beginning, and I'll probably keep watching it when I can, but I fear it won't get any better. And that's too bad; it had such potential.

Anyone else think that we could do a season thread rather than separate episode threads?

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2

Nice to see Molly being Molly.  It's her mother's home but yet Molly gets to say how Christmas is and anyone who disagrees gets her wrath.  I'm kind of tired of her treatment of Vince.  Everything is about Molly.  Why is everything about Molly now.  An unemployed, unmotivated, debt-ridden person living in her mothers home (rent free).  Get a job, part time, while the writing thing is going on.  We see everyone afraid of her.  I'm sorry but all of this is from her dad being gone?  No not buying it at all. She's rude and selfish on her own, not her dad being gone.

I love comedies but when you have such a character like this how is anything she does funny.  I'm sorry, I just don't see it at all. I look forward to the scenes without Molly on this show because it's much more enjoyable and really funny.  No need to see Molly bitch to people and see her shop for her own self.

I loved Carl wanting to do Christmas for the kids.

• Love 1

Anyone else think that we could do a season thread rather than separate episode threads?

I wish, I keep forgetting to check for new episode threads.

I don't find Molly all that funny anymore either. I feel sorry for the people around her and I wait out her scenes in order to watch the B story, which is probably not what they were going for with this new manic bully they've created. I probably wouldn't watch it at all if it didn't happen to be all new episodes in a rerun time of year.

Thanks for making this topic!

OK episode last night.  I kind of liked how Victoria and Carl worked through her cheating in the relationship. 

I get why Carl wanted Victoria to come along on the trip, but I don't get why Victoria, Molly, and Joyce would want to go.  Other than it's a sitcom, and that's what sitcommy characters do.

• Love 1

I don't watch regularly, but there is one episode that I keep on my dvr because I stumbled across it once and it cracks me up every single time I watch it. It was an episode where Molly was stuck waiting for Victoria to finish work at the funeral home and she was scared of dead people. Victoria got her stoned and that solved Molly's fear of death (there's a bit with Molly and Victoria in caskets scaring the crap out of a maid that kills me). The B story of Mike reading one of Molly's sexy stories isn't quite as funny, but it was still good.

• Love 2

Not sure if this is the right thread,so I apologize in advance. I just started to watch this show on various channels showing repeats. I am enjoying it a lot but I have a question. When did Molly and Mike move from the basement to back in her bedroom? What happened? TIA

They decided to scrap the baby storyline, but they didn't explain it in the show, it was just dropped.  The scene where she tells Mike she's pregnant was cut out and it was never mentioned again.  Just so you don't wonder whether you missed something - because you didn't. 

I watched a season or so after they were married, and I'm a little sad how characters devolved. Carl and his Grandma should've had their own show.

I agree. In the early seasons, Molly was awkward but sweet and well meaning. Mike was a hard worker and a nice guy. They made a nice couple you rooted for. Once they got married she became a strident, selfish bitch and he became a kicked puppy

I didn't start watching until syndication and ICAM with both of these opinions, esp. the comments regarding Molly.  Once she dived out of the classroom window and quit teaching, her character became exceedingly unpleasant.  I'm not sure what provocated the change in direction for her character, but it was decision that did not help the show. 

Another mistake was showing Carl and his Grandmother less.  Those two were always hysterical and I've really come to miss their relationship, as well as references to Grandma and Brother Heywood's relationship. They were always a highlight.

• Love 3