Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: The Spoils of War

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, maydaymayday said:

I doubt Jamie is dead. But he'll have to lose his gold hand and slip out of the armour

I was yelling (in my head) "take off the damned hand" - I didn't even consider the armor.

21 hours ago, Daisy said:

My heart was breaking for Tyrion. That look of seeing people he must have known, etc just become eviscerated like that - no matter where you stand must have been so hard to watch. And then he caught Jamie and his whole "run away." like Dany would show him no mercy whatsoever. 

An excellent call back to Dickon talking about how hard it was fighting against men he'd hunted and been friends with. War is hell - always.

21 hours ago, Katalina said:

How did Jon know there were carvings at Dragonstone showing the children and men fighting the white walkers? Convenient exposition.

He was exploring the caves looking for dragon glass. So, seems pretty logical to me that he'd find them while checking out all the caves.

20 hours ago, CaptainTightpants said:

He distinctly said that the gold wagons had made it to KL. Right before his "we should flog the stragglers" line. 

I heard this differently. I heard something like "we need to get to [some landmark, a bridge or something] if we plan to get the gold to KL by [some timeline]." I deleted it, so I can't check. But that's what I thought I heard. Those of you who rewatch, let me know. :)

20 hours ago, TigerTimes said:

One thing I don't understand is why Dany kept going toward the "Dragon Killer" spear when Bronn had already fired a spear in mid-flight. Didn't it occur to Dany that it would hurt the dragon??!!!

I'm not sure she could see it as well as we did, she was coming in from awfully far up, and it would not look as formidable as she got closer. 

18 hours ago, rozen said:

Still don't understand why Brann is a vegetable man. The old three-eyed raven still had a personality, whereas Brann seems to have been obliterated by the sheer magnitude of memories he has available. Maybe actual Brann is in there frantically rifling through things and this is the equivalent of his voice mail. Meera definitely did NOT deserve that kind of send-off after all she did for him.

The old three-eyed raven had been doing it for years - Bran is new to it, and pretty overwhelmed at this point. My take is he's kind of like the little spinny wheel on the computer when there is too much processing going on. Though I like your take on his demeanor being the equivalent of voice male. :)

I always thought the three dragon riders would be Dany, Jon, and Tyrion. I don't know that I believe that at this point, but I've always seen them as the three most unwanted people who would overcome.

Though I think Jaime will round out  his story by killing Cersei - I think Cersei being burned up by dragon fire would also be a poetic and satisfactory end, given how she blew up the Sept and all in it.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, shirazplease said:

How far is Highgarden from KL?  When Bronn told Jamie that he was promised a castle, he pointed at the one behind them and said "How about that one?  It's vacant."  Wasn't that Highgarden?  Not arguing, just trying to figure out logistics.

Yes, the castle that Bronn asked for was Highgarden. In response, Jaime specifically told him, "You don't want Highgarden."

4 hours ago, Absurda said:

I do wonder why, when he first saw the dragon, Jaime didn't scramble his troops to get that crossbow out. What was he waiting for?

4 hours ago, Fen said:

It was implied when he talked to Robert and Brienne that Jaime saw terrible things in the Mad King's court, and is fairly traumatised by it.  

'Ever heard of Wildfyre?  The Mad King was obsessed with it.  Loved to watch people burn - the way their skin blackened and blistered and melted off their bones....finally the day of reckoning came....I urged him to surrender peacefully....he turned to his pyromancer ' "burn them all - he said - burn them in their homes, burn them in their beds"'

When he sees that dragon coming - he knows what it's going to look like when his men burn alive.

Which is why it makes even less sense that he didn't order his men to get out Scorpion as soon as he saw Drogon flying towards them. Instead, he was dicking around with regular puny arrows. As we saw, it only takes one man to operate Scorpion, which makes Jaime seem like he's not very smart for not dispatching just ONE of his men to ready Scorpion immediately. If he had, Dany and Drogon wouldn't have been able to barbeque as many men and supplies as they did.

15 minutes ago, Captain Stable said:

Arya was very cold in the meeting.
"I call you Lady Stark now?" You'll also notice that Sansa went to Arya and hugged her, but Arya never returned the hug - her arms remained by her side, not around Sansa.

Arya later went in for a spontaneous hug which Sansa ended by telling her about Bran's return, so I don't think that Sansa believes Arya is cold or that Arya dislikes her.

Sansa and Tyrion are both good at administrative stuff so I don't have a problem with them being part of the leadership in that capacity. As boring as it can be to deal with, that's necessary work to keep things running smoothly. Despite Arya's prowess as a fighter, I don't think that is necessarily what makes a good leader - but furthermore I don't think Arya would want the responsibility of being Lady Stark. As she told her father in S1, "that's not me." She would be very unhappy if her days were spent dealing with the stuff that Sansa is dealing with now (like grain rations, which Sansa was discussing with Littlefinger just before the Arya/Brienne sparring).

5 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I would just like Bronn and Davos to team up to provide commentary.

I'd add the Hound to the mix. After his remark about Man Bun, I know he would be great at non-combat shit talking.

• Love 10

What would he spit out then? A choice of cubed ice, shaved ice or filtered water? A mighty hail storm? I guess he could cause a major flash flood if need be.  

Liquid nitrogen. Instead of vaporizing things with fire it would freeze them instantly.

It should be pretty hard to aim but in this case, Dany had the Dragon go directly at it.  If she flew above it and came at it from a steep, almost vertical angle, that ballista wouldn't work, unless they tipped it vertical, in which case it's even harder to aim.

If they don't have 180° aiming range, why not fly in behind them? As we saw, whatever they're aimed at has to be pretty much sitting still or staying in a narrow range right in the path of the arrow.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:i

Though I think Jaime will round out  his story by killing Cersei - I think Cersei being burned up by dragon fire would also be a poetic and satisfactory end, given how she blew up the Sept and all in it.

I have zero expectation that this would happen. 

But I have to admit that I fleetingly thought during the conversation that Ned's statue should have been carved by someone who remembered his face about whether Arya could slip on Ned's face and murder Cersei.

How does the faceless man stuff work anyway?  Are the faces collected from their victims or could they appear as anyone?

If Jamie doesn't kill Cersei, I'd go for some hand waving that allows Arya to kill Cersei while cycling through guest star faces, like Joffery, Marcella, Tommen, Ned, Cat, Robb, etc.

• Love 7

I think it would be cool for someone unexpected to kill Cersei. IIRC, the prophecy said she'd be killed by a younger brother, but that doesn't necessarily mean her younger brother. Euron, Jon, Theon, and Bran are all younger brothers. IIRC, Ned's head was mounted on a spike, so I don't think there's a face left to take. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

When Jon told Theon that Dany was not at Dragonstone, for a second I thought he was doing that secretary/personal assistant/gatekeeper thing like Sue on Veep of just telling annoying people, "Oh, she's unavailable. I'll let her know you stopped by."

21 hours ago, CaptainTightpants said:

He distinctly said that the gold wagons had made it to KL. Right before his "we should flog the stragglers" line. 

20 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I heard this differently. I heard something like "we need to get to [some landmark, a bridge or something] if we plan to get the gold to KL by [some timeline]." I deleted it, so I can't check. But that's what I thought I heard. Those of you who rewatch, let me know. :)

In the opening scene, Jaime looks at the wagon full of gold, takes out one bag for Bronn, then locks the back of the wagon, hands the keys to a soldier, and taps on the wagon which then takes off for Kings Landing (without Jaime accompanying it - I know some people upthread questioned whether Jaime would trust anyone to transport the gold).

In the final scene, Lord Tarly tells Jaime: "All the gold's safely through the gates at Kings Landing. You need to get the last of these wagons over the Black Water Rush before nightfall. If the head of the line is ambushed, the tail will never be able to reinforce it in time." That is a word for word quote, not me paraphrasing.

• Love 9

When and if Dany finally turns her attention to her other 2 dragons, Jon should get to ride Rhaegal, since it's named after his father (not that anyone other than Bran knows that yet).

A conversation I'd love to see between Sansa and Arya:

Arya: "So, what have you been up to while I was gone?"

Sansa: "I fed Ramsay Bolton to his dogs. How about you?"

Arya: "I fed Walder Frey's sons to Walder Frey."

Sansa & Arya together: "Mother would be so proud."

I

think it would be cool for someone unexpected to kill Cersei. IIRC, the prophecy said she'd be killed by a younger brother, but that doesn't necessarily mean her younger brother.

If it didn't mean that Tyrion would have to be dead, I'd like Arya to kill her wearing Tyrion's face. But...I don't want Tyrion dead, so it will have to happen some other way.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 23
30 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Ned's head was mounted on a spike, so I don't think there's a face left to take. 

Could LittleFinger have delivered the face / scalp part of Ned's head to Braavos?  If he did (we never saw all the faces there),  Arya would have taken her Father home.  

28 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lord Tarly tells Jaime: "All the gold's safely through the gates at Kings Landing.

Why do we trust Lord Tarly?  I'd expect that one to take a percent for himself.  And pay off the guys who delivered it to his home with deaths for one and all.

2 hours ago, kieyra said:

Quick dumb question, and if you've been spoiled by various leaks I'll thank you to not weigh in. :)

Reading the last page of posts--are poeple really expecting Jon and Dany to hook up? I always thought it was just cutesy wishful thinking since she's his aunt or whatever. Now, I do know the following:

--Jamie and Cersei

--Targaryen history of sibling marriage or w/e

But Jamie and Cersei are at least nominally "villains", and for all that the books/show have attempted to de-program us from fantasy tropes, I believe viewers are still cheering for certain 'heroic' characters (Jon, Dany when she's not being insufferable, Arya, and lesser characters who still have a shred of humanity, like Brienne). (I'm intentionally not starting up Sansa controversy.)

So I can't help but question whether the typical viewer wouldn't be fairly put off by incest between two of the top-tier "heroes" of the show? 

I'm not asking whether it makes sense from a dynastic context, or how inter-marrying worked in the books or real life monarchy, I'm asking whether people think it would be a pretty big risk to the *average* viewer's goodwill.

Considering the number of  people on this thread, Ie people with a higher than average interest in the show, who missed the fact that the the gold made it to Kings Landing ..... 

I think the average viewer will never connect that they're aunt and nephew. 

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 5

As far as the Arya/Brienne/Sansa business, I'm just remembering that Sansa never even knew about Syrio in s1. She thought the water-dancing training actually was dancing lessons and couldn't understand why Arya kept getting scrapes and bruises. Since then, Arya's had even more training she doesn't know about. A normal person who hasn't watched Arya all this time would think she was crazy to go up against a much bigger woman with a much bigger sword. (And no way Brienne wasn't still holding back imo. It was the practice yard and she'd never fight to kill one of her sworn charges anyway. She looked worried just from knocking Arya to the ground before she jumped back up.) Suddenly finding out your little sister is a ninja killer is bound to cause some complicated emotions. 

Dickon 2.0 is hot and all but I have to nitpick that I don't buy this guy as a green soldier whose never been in battle before. Cormac McLaggen was unavailable but they could at least have re-casted with someone else smaller who actually looks younger than John Bradley, not older.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Lady S. said:

As far as the Arya/Brienne/Sansa business, I'm just remembering that Sansa never even knew about Syrio in s1. She thought the water-dancing training actually was dancing lessons and couldn't understand why Arya kept getting scrapes and bruises. Since then, Arya's had even more training she doesn't know about. A normal person who hasn't watched Arya all this time would think she was crazy to go up against a much bigger woman with a much bigger sword. (And no way Brienne wasn't still holding back imo. It was the practice yard and she'd never fight to kill one of her sworn charges anyway. She looked worried just from knocking Arya to the ground before she jumped back up.) Suddenly finding out your little sister is a ninja killer is bound to cause some complicated emotions. 

Dickon 2.0 is hot and all but I have to nitpick that I don't buy this guy as a green soldier whose never been in battle before. Cormac McLaggen was unavailable but they could at least have re-casted with someone else smaller who actually looks younger than John Bradley, not older.

But then we wouldn't have Tom Harper. 
Yum. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, paigow said:

Not sure how well you can see wagon details when flying fast & high, but gold is not usually packed in kegs / barrels...

I was really puzzled why she didn't save the food. But Dany now basically controls Highgarden and The Reach by extension. If they are alive the Tarly's are her prisoners. They'll either bend the knee or be fried I'm guessing. So she'll have chances to get more grain and food stores. Though a lot was lost last night. I doubt all the bannermen houses that betrayed Olenna gave all of their stores to Jamie. Dany can also raid those now.

1 hour ago, The Kings Foot said:

Considering the number of  people on this thread, Ie people with a higher than average interest in the show, who missed the fact that the the gold made it to Kings Landing ..... 

I've been assuming the show will spell it out more clearly for those who didn't understand the Tower of Joy scene, and god knows the writing ain't exactly subtle these days. But if they explain before a possible hookup, then the audience will be all "eww", and if they explain it afterwards, then they have to write in an awkward sitcom-esque scene when Jon finds out who he's sleeping with.

• Love 3

Add me to the list of people who were squealing through the battle. I was seriously on the edge of my seat! Finally, some real dragon action! She really needs to find riders for the other two through, that was a close call. 

Either way, Olena would be proud. It would be awesome if she were somehow still alive and got to see all that.

Burning all of those wagons is going to be a hard hit for Kings Landing. If I remember correctly, they were getting all their food from Highgarden.

Glad to see Arya back home but I was wondering, does she know Littlefinger sold Sansa to Ramsey Bolton? Littlefinger better sleep with one eye open.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Couver said:

I was really puzzled why she didn't save the food. But Dany now basically controls Highgarden and The Reach by extension. If they are alive the Tarly's are her prisoners. They'll either bend the knee or be fried I'm guessing. So she'll have chances to get more grain and food stores. Though a lot was lost last night. I doubt all the bannermen houses that betrayed Olenna gave all of their stores to Jamie. Dany can also raid those now.

but they (Lannisters) took all of this years harvest. 
which Dany burned. 
now that winter is hear they're kinda screwed 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Captain Stable said:

We (the audience) know that, but Sansa hasn't seen her for years, and Arya was very cold in the meeting.
"I call you Lady Stark now?" You'll also notice that Sansa went to Arya and hugged her, but Arya never returned the hug - her arms remained by her side, not around Sansa.

So from Sansa's point of view she may be thinking "Why does Arya seem to hate me?", thinks back to their last real interaction (the butchers boy incident), then learns Arya has a list of people who have wronged her and... That is why I put Sansa in that frame of mind.

We know it isn't true; but when she meets Bran SHE hugs him!  

Arya hugged Sansa at the end of the crypt scene.

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I have zero expectation that this would happen. 

But I have to admit that I fleetingly thought during the conversation that Ned's statue should have been carved by someone who remembered his face about whether Arya could slip on Ned's face and murder Cersei.

How does the faceless man stuff work anyway?  Are the faces collected from their victims or could they appear as anyone?

If Jamie doesn't kill Cersei, I'd go for some hand waving that allows Arya to kill Cersei while cycling through guest star faces, like Joffery, Marcella, Tommen, Ned, Cat, Robb, etc.

Oh my God. Killing Cersei with Ned's face would be AWESOME.

Can I just say, the constant assumptions that Sansa is still the petty snippy adolescent she was in Season 1 are annoying? Why would anyone's first assumption, upon viewing the scene where she watches Arya and Brienne sparring, be that Sansa is jealous? Sansa has seen her father beheaded by the fiance who promised to be merciful, was damn near gang-raped in King's Landing, was framed for murder by her sister-in-law, was threatened with murder by her aunt, was sold off in marriage and then was raped nightly by her psychopathic husband. I think she's grown up a bit since Season 1. Furthermore she's seeing that her sister is obviously extremely well-trained and it's entirely possible she's killed quite a bit. This is a jarring realization. No other character gets her casual, misogynistic dismissal and it's obnoxious. Reflexive Sansa Hate is soooooo '11.

• Love 23
40 minutes ago, The Kings Foot said:

3 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I've been assuming the show will spell it out more clearly for those who didn't understand the Tower of Joy scene, and god knows the writing ain't exactly subtle these days. But if they explain before a possible hookup, then the audience will be all "eww", and if they explain it afterwards, then they have to write in an awkward sitcom-esque scene when Jon finds out who he's sleeping with.

I think so too. Bran will reveal that to his siblings at some point in case people didn't understand what he (and us) saw in the Tower of Joy last season. By the way, I loathe that unappreciative little twerp.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I always thought the three dragon riders would be Dany, Jon, and Tyrion. I don't know that I believe that at this point, but I've always seen them as the three most unwanted people who would overcome.

I thought so too and I think both Jon and Tyrion are half-Targaryen. We already know Jon is  Tyrion managed to tame the dragons when he interacted with them and there is a lot of hints suggesting that the Mad King might be his father. Bran might warg one also, but I don't want him to be a hero after what he did to Hodor.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Can I just say, the constant assumptions that Sansa is still the petty snippy adolescent she was in Season 1 are annoying? Why would anyone's first assumption, upon viewing the scene where she watches Arya and Brienne sparring, be that Sansa is jealous? Sansa has seen her father beheaded by the fiance who promised to be merciful, was damn near gang-raped in King's Landing, was framed for murder by her sister-in-law, was threatened with murder by her aunt, was sold off in marriage and then was raped nightly by her psychopathic husband. I think she's grown up a bit since Season 1. Furthermore she's seeing that her sister is obviously extremely well-trained and it's entirely possible she's killed quite a bit. This is a jarring realization. No other character gets her casual, misogynistic dismissal and it's obnoxious. Reflexive Sansa Hate is soooooo '11.

Amen

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In the opening scene, Jaime looks at the wagon full of gold, takes out one bag for Bronn, then locks the back of the wagon, hands the keys to a soldier, and taps on the wagon which then takes off for Kings Landing (without Jaime accompanying it - I know some people upthread questioned whether Jaime would trust anyone to transport the gold).

In the final scene, Lord Tarly tells Jaime: "All the gold's safely through the gates at Kings Landing. You need to get the last of these wagons over the Black Water Rush before nightfall. If the head of the line is ambushed, the tail will never be able to reinforce it in time." That is a word for word quote, not me paraphrasing.

I was skeptical that Jaime would be traveling with the rear-guard instead of the gold, given the fact that poaching the gold was one of, if not the primary motives for raiding Highgarden.  

Also, I'd expect the bulk of the Lannister forces to be protecting the gold, which was much more important to Cersei than the food.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

but they (Lannisters) took all of this years harvest. 
which Dany burned. 
now that winter is hear they're kinda screwed 

I think they took the Tyrell's harvest for the year. I'm not sure about the Tarlys and others though. I know they swore to work with Cersei but I can't imagine they would send their own stores and crops to KL when they will have their own people to feed come winter.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

I was skeptical that Jaime would be traveling with the rear-guard instead of the gold, given the fact that poaching the gold was one of, if not the primary motives for raiding Highgarden.  

I'm hand waving that he's procrastinating about having to face Cersei knowing the truth of how Joffrey died.

• Love 4
Just now, Couver said:

I think they took the Tyrell's harvest for the year. I'm not sure about the Tarlys and others though. I know they swore to work with Cersei but I can't imagine they would send their own stores and crops to KL when they will have their own people to feed come winter.

hmmm this is true.  I just figured because everyone is so stressed about the food I assumed that most of the food was looted. (Because the Tyrells didn't have the time to make that years shipments)

[to be dead honest, I either forgot/didn't know that the Reach fed everyone. that's a WOOSH over my head]

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

That would almost be as good as Arya killing Littlefinger with Cat's face. 

Her wearing Tywin's face when/if she kills Cersei would be more poignant because Cersei sees herself as her father's true heir, and is trying to get his approval even now.  He knew she couldn't see the long picture and was focused on the short term. 

• Love 6

The sound of hoofbeats, first faint, then coming closer and closer.......

The battle, while magnificent, shouldn't have lasted that long......I don't care how good your battle discipline is, after the first flambayed soldiers everyone should have just run like hell; their horses certainly should have. (Presumably the Dothraki horses had gotten used to dragons.)

I was frustrated when the guards wouldn't let Arya in; c'mon, guys, at this point???

I thought Bran would stab LF the minute he gave him the dagger.

Jon, and everyone else, has got to learn of his lineage soon!!

I was scared for both Bron and Jaime, and horrified when Bron fired the antidragon weapon. I think at that point he was just worried about staying alive. I think the dragons' true purpose in this world is to battle the White Walkers, not to be used in battle against ordinary men; at least not until after the WW are dealt with.

Who will pull Jaime from the water?

I felt sorry for Tyrion; he really still loves his brother and just wanted him to get away. It's Cercei who's the problem, not Jaime.

Is it next week yet?

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

One would think that readily offering her rule at Winterfell to Bran would at least affect the power-lusting QitN business. I said after the finale that if that's what she really wanted/expected she wouldn't have refused the master bedroom from Jon, but apparently she's devious yet incompetent, demurring from offered symbolic status and trying to give away her power almost as soon as she finally has it. I guess she must just have trying to get Bran to challenge Jon for the kingship and is now hoping Jon will literally have a heart attack and die when he sees Arya, with no red witch to bring up back, right? She's the one initiating the hugs with every sibling she reunites with and yet it's still assumed she has no use for family. (What kind of story would it be to have multiple grown men who've murdered children on a redemption train while a young girl is never allowed to progress beyond early-teenage snottiness? I don't think it'd be a good story and I don't think that's the story we're watching.)

• Love 21
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Thanks. I watch  most of my shows while exercising, so I miss a thing or two now and then.

49 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I think so too. Bran will reveal that to his siblings at some point in case people didn't understand what he (and us) saw in the Tower of Joy last season. By the way, I loathe that unappreciative little twerp.

I thought so too and I think both Jon and Tyrion are half-Targaryen. We already know Jon is  Tyrion managed to tame the dragons when he interacted with them and there is a lot of hints suggesting that the Mad King might be his father. Bran might warg one also, but I don't want him to be a hero after what he did to Hodor.

Ohh, I'd entirely forgotten the hints - which is probably why I thought it would be the three of them.

44 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Also, I'd expect the bulk of the Lannister forces to be protecting the gold, which was much more important to Cersei than the food.

To Cersei, yes. But Jaime, with all of his flaws, can be a bit more practical. I didn't really think his bringing up the rear was much of a problem, as to the people, in any case, the food was more valuable than the gold.

• Love 1

The food supply from Highgarden was Jaime's argument to Cersei for taking it a few episodes ago. Cersei might have wanted the gold but Jaime wanted the food. To him that was the most important so makes sense he'd supervise gathering/taking the harvest and getting it to KL while sending a faster moving group on with the gold.

• Love 4

Beating potentially dead horses:

Remember 20 mule team Borax

The picture of the 20 mule teams, pulling a wooden wagon with Borax (a mineral) in it.  Actually two wooden wagons and a ?tractor.

20-mule-team-borax-logo-com_thumb.jpg

And the real thing

64741a.jpg

Note the much stronger wheels, 

Borax is a lot lighter weight than gold. 

One pound of borax weighs one pound, same as one pound of gold..    BUT.

one cubic foot  of gold    1,204 lb

one cubic foot of borax  approx 18 pounds which is about the weight of some cereal grains, etc. 

More horses to pull gold.  LOTS more horses.  

• Love 3
On 8/6/2017 at 10:36 PM, Katalina said:

I thought Jamie drank from one of them? However, I join you in hoping against hope that Olenna lives.

Jaime didn't drink anything. He watched Olenna drink and then stomped out upon hearing she killed Joffrey.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:50 PM, Hava said:

I really hope they don't take the whole Arya-is-an-emotionless-ruthless-killer thing too far and allow some of her old personality to come through. 

We've already seen it, from her emotion upon hearing that Winterfell is back in Stark hands, to her emotion upon seeing Winterfell again, to her realization that it's not exactly home any more because everything has changed, to her hugging Sansa and Bran.

23 hours ago, maystone said:

Davos is not hitting on Missandei. You guys. He likes her, and who doesn't, really? If anything, it's paternal, the way he was with Shireen. And also I'm sure that he's looking for different perspectives on Dany. Davos is a clever man, and a genuinely decent one, too.

This. Davos is the one I'm pulling for the most to survive.

17 hours ago, Gobi said:

Someone upthread wondered why Dany didn't bring all three dragons. She can only control one at a time, by riding.

She controlled all 3 when she defeated the slaver masters in Meereen.

11 hours ago, AlliMo said:

Actually, I'm thinking Jon and Bran. Bran is a warg, after all - he wouldn't even have to physically ride a dragon.

But the original TER said, when Bran asked if he would ever walk again, "No, but you will fly." So Tyrion needs to get cracking on a dragon saddle for Bran.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Couver said:

Dany doesn't control the Reach yet. This battle was outside Kings Landing. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, The Kings Foot said:

Dany doesn't control the Reach yet. This battle was outside Kings Landing. 

No it wasn't
Bronn said I want a castle - and they turned around and showed Highgarden.
Jamie said "Trust me, you don't want highgarden." 

so I think they were def. at the Reach - not KL.

Just now, Daisy said:

No it wasn't

That was at beginning of the episode.

At the end of the episode they were at Blackwater Rush with the tail of the caravan. The head of the caravan with the gold had entered Kings Landing. (where Blackwater bay is).

Several weeks passed from the beginning of this episode to the end. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

No it wasn't

"I want a castle" was at the beginning of the episode--so, outside of Highgarden, which they had just conquered.

The battle was at the end of the episode, so several days' march later and they'd had a chance to get the gold to King's Landing (the very first words in that sequence were Lord Tarly telling Jaime that the gold made it through the gates of KL). 

• Love 4
Just now, The Kings Foot said:

That was at beginning of the episode.

At the end of the episode they were at Blackwater Rush with the tail of the caravan. The head of the caravan with the gold had entered Kings Landing. (where Blackwater bay is).

Several weeks passed from the beginning of this episode to the end. 

Just now, CeeBeeGee said:

"I want a castle" was at the beginning of the episode--so, outside of Highgarden, which they had just conquered.

The battle was at the end of the episode, so several days' march later and they'd had a chance to get the gold to King's Landing (the very first words in that sequence were Lord Tarly telling Jaime that the gold made it through the gates of KL). 

this will remind me not to post at night (laugh). i forgot about the teleporting. thanks guys. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, kieyra said:

Except for the Stark kids and the three living Lannisters, I never know who's related to whom and how on this show. I do know that Jon and Dany have fabulous chemistry and should make out, though.

ETA: I thought Sansa looked stunned by Arya, not jealous or angry.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 5

Yeah I don't think Sansa is jealous of Arya, per se.

However, I think Sansa may envy Arya's physical skills.  Such that if Sansa had 1/10th of Arya's abilities, she might have killed Ramsey or Joffrey herself, and spared herself a lot of pain.    

Sansa has not been the flighty princess in a long time and has grown past petty emotions like jealousy.  

(PS. I hope Sansa never dies)

Also I wonder about the Dothraki's allegiance to Danaerys.  Not that they'll join the Lannisters, but how long can she keep them on-task, if you will?  This is a traditionally nomadic people, who don't really fit in anywhere, except in their plains.  Yes, she is the great Khaleesi; but what real meaning does that title have to a people who have never been truly united.  And Assuming she wins the Seven Kingdoms, does she send them back across the Narrow Seas or expect them to resettle to Westeros?

Edited by Haiti D
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, doram said:

Which makes his non-reaction to Cersei using wildfyre - "who cares how she built this world once she's done?" - hypocritical af. 

Exactly. That should have been a deal breaker for him. WTH was that "look" for at the end of last season? Of course he knows she did it.

And if Tyrion starts turning against Dany for his "Family" they have shit on his story arc. The Lannisters have always treated Tyrion like garbage. The exception is Jamie and even he never had the balls to truly stand up to Tywin and Cersei.

• Love 6

Tyrion: Well this isn't nearly as much fun as I expected. "They'll all be there," she said. "You'll be amazed at what they can do," she said. Bloody fucked up Dragonstone Castle accoustics! She said "Dothraki hordes," didn't she?

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

This battle had me shivering and nervous like I´ve never experienced before while watching something like this on tv. I´ve been loving all the battle scenes this season (although it´s not usually my cup of tea) and this one just had something extra. Seeing Dany come flying in on the dragon was glorious. I´m at the point where I don´t really care who lives or dies from now on except for the dragons (and their mum I guess) and the Stark siblings. I´ve got nothing against Bronn per se but I really wanted him to die. I will never forgive him for taking his dragon killing so f-ing seriously.

• Love 5

“I really thought Dany was going to propose to Jon in the dragon glass cave.”

Me, too.  Based on the way he was looking at her and she at him, I was certain Dany was about to say: "Take me. Take me now!" Which I shouted at the TV much to the annoyance of my husband.

“OMG, that was fucking fantastic. Where to begin? I am so glad that I restrained myself and waited to watch the episode in HD.

That has got to be best battle scene on tv evah! Drogon was amazing, the sounds, the CGI.“

This was so epic. When Drogon came flying in, I literally started crying.  The CGI is so realistic and the dragon flies so beautifully and so purposefully and aggressively that it just makes me awestruck. Also, that marvelously sad and emotive music they play whenever the dragons are in the scene always tears me up.  

You have to give Jamie and Bronn credit. Those two actors sure look like excellent horsemen in real life.  Jamie always looks so confidently masculine with his good posture and great haircut. Damn him.  How can he be both handsome and good, while also being bad?  

Those awesome Dothraki warriors swinging their legs up to stand in a crouch while continuing to gallop at full speed, and doing it in sync while riding and shooting arrows - man, that was impressive. Unfortunately, it made them easier targets to receive an arrow in the chest by Jamie's archers. : (  

The special effects were extremely well done. Several times we saw the freshly incinerated bodies literally turning into charred crisps, then blow away!  The scenes were so realistic I was constantly stressed about the poor horses and what they had to have gone through during the filming.  Just so well done, all of it!

….

“What vibe was Sansa giving off when she was watching Arya and Brienne spar?  It almost felt like ‘don’t take my friend Brienne.’  It was weird.”   

Yes.  I was not certain the exact reason why she seemed distressed and needed to exit the area quickly.  Was it because she realized her sister and her brother are nothing like they were? That everyone is so bent and damaged now, only a shadow of their original self.  And maybe Arya's crazy, wicked skills were simply too much to process along with everything else.

“I doubt Jamie is dead. But he'll have to lose his gold hand and slip out of the armor.”

Yes!  I was wondering to myself, 'Why is he just staring like that and sinking so fast? He's not even trying to swim or anything.  But then, uh oh.  50+ lbs. of armor and a 30 lb. gold hand is the reason. If not, he looks to have completely given up. Bye bye Jaime!

….

“Holy shit.  Be afraid, Littlefinger. Be very afraid.”

I had to watch his scenes twice to be sure of what his expressions were displaying, once with the sound on, once without. With Bran and the 'Chaos is a ladder', you see he is startled by the comment and concerned but quickly corrects his expression and leaves the room. Then with the Aryan/Brienne fight scene, he is really trying to put on a pleased, approving expression, but is clearly saying, 'Oh crap.' And then the way Arya just held his gaze afterwards with no expression on her face, he had to also excuse himself as he was rightly disturbed.

Arya’s sparring session with Brienne was outstanding and entertaining as hell. Boy, is Jon going to bet impressed and shocked by her transformation.

I thought Brienne's facial expressions were very well acted. First she was humoring Arya, then when Arya got the better of her she was taken aback, then she was really going for it, and became frightened in the shockingly brilliant way Arya battled her. Good job.

….

• Love 10
23 hours ago, candall said:

I have only to add that Bran had a distinct foreshadowing hesitation when he gave Arya the dragonstone dagger.  He was seeing something that gave him pause--maybe a flash that giving it to her saves her life or costs him his, or which heart that blade will pierce, something.

I saw that as well. The look on his face when she takes the dagger and the way he pulls his hand away-- very deliberately ---as if he "saw" something.

And can I say again the highlight of the episode was the sparring match between Brianne and Arya. Well done show.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, taanja said:

I saw that as well. The look on his face when she takes the dagger and the way he pulls his hand away-- very deliberately ---as if he "saw" something.

He saw Arya & Sansa taking turns sodomizing Littlefinger with the dagger...

• Love 4
9 hours ago, riley702 said:

But the original TER said, when Bran asked if he would ever walk again, "No, but you will fly." So Tyrion needs to get cracking on a dragon saddle for Bran.

Well, yes, but the original TER flew himself - though ravens. When he said "No, but you will fly." I took that as the simplest explanation - Brann is a Warg and he will fly with his mind in other flying creatures. But given that he's a warg - he might not need to physically fly on a dragon, but WITHIN the dragon's mind.

• Love 4

I felt sorry for Tyrion; he really still loves his brother and just wanted him to get away. It's Cercei who's the problem, not Jaime.

Is it next week yet?

Jaime is still part of the problem though. 

He stood up to his father at one point by refusing to go to Casterly Rock and by releasing his brother from prison

He never really has stood up to Cersei even though he can clearly see she is no more fit to rule than the prior Lannisters in charge.  And he did try to kill Bran because of what he saw in season one.  He murdered one of his own family to escape the Starks.  And all that ignores the fact he is having sex with his twin sister, for years and years and years. 

Jaime has taken the path of least resistance to keep himself safe and secure while ignoring for the most part the horrible things his family does.  ANd he COULD rule instead of them if he so chose.  he is the oldest Lannister son and rightfully should be in charge right now, not Cersei.  But he refuses to stand up to her. 

He is part of the problem. 

• Love 11
17 hours ago, TigerTimes said:

I must say, "no offense, your Grace," but I don't like Bronn as much as many people who are posting on here. Can I get a "whut whut" from any GoT homies out there? Bronn seems WAY too opportunistic to trust him, and even when he agrees to side with you, he asks for more stuff right away--case in point: wanting a castle and land from Jaime right after the first major battle. Plus, he is devious, unkemp, and has too much of the "I plan to stand on a street corner and ask for change when you roll up" although he has a Benz and nice house. Down with Bronn, I say! Any supporters in here?!?!

Bronn is a sellsword.  What did you expect??

Sorry, I disagree with you - I love Bronn.  He's one of the only bright spots of comedy in an otherwise dark and serious show.  

But also - he remained loyal to Jaime by saving his life.  Bronn could have returned for his dropped gold, then hightailed it the heck out of there, but he didn't.  He attempted to kill the dragon, and then saved Jaime's life, so... yeah.  He's all evil?  Nay.  

BTW, there's a thread for "unpopular opinions" and you might get more support over there.  :-)

• Love 7

I also thought it was sad that Arya asked for Sir Rodrick and Maester Luwin when she arrived at Winterfell. I thought it reminded us how much the Starks had lost since we met them due to Theon's betrayal and later the Bolton's treachery.

• Love 18