Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought Jesse was being really harsh and rigid about the drinking and how I would be insulted if someone told me I had to agree to never drink again or our relationship was over. In that tone. Everything about that tone made me scream "NOPE."

And then I remembered that Darcey was a belligerent drunken asshole who cried, mocked Jesse, and then ran off into the night, ignoring his phone calls and him yelling for her in the dark, surely disturbing the neighbors. Embarrassing. And, to be honest, that would be a deal breaker for me as well. It wouldn't even be a "stop now or we're finished" conversation, it would be a "pack your shit, we're done" conversation.

• Love 11

The dramatic scene between Darcy and Jesse was accompanied by tinkly piano music. As though, we, the gullible viewers,  needed reassurance that this dopey duo is real as real can be, and that Dutch truly CARES about Weirdass Lady on her fiftieth reality show.  I couldn't stop laughing.

Yes, Karine's hair alternated up and down throughout the thorny-briars scene of suicide prevention..  Come on! Try to show a smidge of respect for your viewers, TLC!

Paul?    Could it be that he is truly as manipulative as he came across tonight?  He decides to tell Karine that he's a bad person the day after they have sex? Then be ruuuuuunnnns away like a widdle wabbit? Where did he think  he was running to?  At first, I thought it was a machination to get Karine to say that she didn't care about his past.  But, no, I think he was saying he was finished with her?   STDegnancytess [sic] be damned?!

The mugging was staged, IMO.  I was thinking maybe Karine didn't know it was staged because she did seem upset.  However, she also did a good acting job in the suicide-prevention scene where her hair was a bun/down/a bun, so maybe she's Meryl Streep.

I would like to personally thank Paul for giving me some of the biggest laughs EVER!  Paul has been a constant source of hilarity in every episode he's appeared in.  The Classic episode with the penis-sheath-water-shoes-poop-water-romantic-interlude will remain forever in my heart.

I don't think Paul is mentally ill, or stupid, or clueless.  On the contrary, I think it's possible he is an honest-to-God, sociopathic con man-bad guy.

A real-life Keyser Soze?  I can picture, that once the TLC cameras switched off, Paul straightened up his pigeon-toed alligator walk, reached in and ripped off his penis sheath, then lit up a Marlboro.  So long, suckers!

Keyser_S%C3%B6ze_-_photo.jpg

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 18

Courtney is a pain in the ass. Get a clue, girl. She probably invited herself to Spain and Antonio figured he would have some fun with the cute American for a few days, then send her on her way.  That's it. 

I get the feeling Darcy agreed to not drink anymore just to shut Jesse up. If it was important to Jesse, wouldn't he have told her that from the beginning that he didn't drink and was looking for the same? Hey, Darcy, pot is legal in Amsterdam. Just substitute. I bet Jesse doesn't have a problem with that. 

20 year old Abbey is madly in love with 64 year old butt ugly Chris. Not buying it. Something is up with that shady bitch. Chris must be sending her money in exchange for her dropping everything every time he comes to the DR and that's why she doesn't want to let him go. I just can't figure out why she's dragging Sean in to her mess. 

Paul and Karine- I also noticed the inconsistencies with the hair up in a bun, then down, then up again, the color changing from red, then brown. That was all manufactured for the camera. How many takes did they have to do before the director said "That's a wrap"!

• Love 4

Pyrophillia involves sexual satisfaction from starting fires, talking about fires, observing fires as they burn, and especially observing fires that they themselves set.

In essence, they set their fire, go to a safe location to watch their handiwork, and they masturbate.

One very distressing example of this was the Our Lady of Angels school fire in Chicago in December 1958.  It was set by a student, Philip (Decker) Presti, who had a long history of setting fires.  The one he set that day killed nearly 100 people in the school: several nuns and many, many children who were trapped in the flames. When he was eventually questioned about his crime (he was never actually accused, due to connections his family had in Chicago), he was left alone in the interrogation room for a stint and was secretly observed.  Phillip had the photos that were taken as the school burned, and he was masturbating furiously.

Edited by bethster2000
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

20 year old Abbey is madly in love with 64 year old butt ugly Chris. Not buying it. Something is up with that shady bitch. Chris must be sending her money in exchange for her dropping everything every time he comes to the DR and that's why she doesn't want to let him go. I just can't figure out why she's dragging Sean in to her mess. 

In the first or second episode we learned that Chris sends Abby money for “school” because she has “potential.”  She would have potential’d him right in the taxi if the TLC cameras weren’t there. They certainly potential’d themselves blue once Sean flew back home. 

Abby wants Chris to commit.  Chris just wants to fuck women-children and took a liking to Abby because it’s easier/safer to have sex with her instead of starting fresh with a new woman-child each time he comes to stay. Abby finds dummy Sean online and tries to use the relationship to manipulate Chris into a commitment.  What she doesn’t realize is that Chris most likely learned the lessons from that game over 40 years ago.  She has to intensify the game to another level because an Internet relationship doesn’t force Chris into a relationship. So, she has both Chris and Sean come to Haiti. Chris would not have visited her without the promise of sex once Sean left (evidenced by the texts). 

Sean, be careful what you wish for. You wanted some cuckholdery — well, now you go it. He wanted to be the white knight/alpha in the love triangle but he is actually the one with the sloppy seconds. 

Reflecting back on Abby meeting Sean at the airport. She and her friend were giddy because Abby thought her “make Chris jealous” plan would work. 

2 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Pyrophillia involves sexual satisfaction from starting fires, talking about fires, observing fires as they burn, and especially observing fires that they themselves set.

In essence, they set their fire, go to a safe location to watch their handiwork, and they masturbate.

One very distressing example of this was the Our Lady of Angels school fire in Chicago in December 1958.  It was set by a student, Philip (Decker) Presti, who had a long history of setting fires.  The one he set that day killed nearly 100 people in the school: several nuns and many, many children who were trapped in the flames. When he was eventually questioned about his crime (he was never actually accused, due to connections his family had in Chicago), he was left alone in the interrogation room for a stint and was secretly observed.  Phillip had the photos that were taken as the school burned, and he was masturbating furiously.

I don’t believe Paul is a pyrophilliac — just narcisstic enough to believe that he could get away with insurance fraud.  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

Really, Smilin' Chris, So what did you think was going to happen. Couple rounds of shots, few games of pool, then you flip a coin to see who gets Abby first? 

Oh, Chris was well prepared for this and a myriad of other scenarios. I think Chris wanted to see how gullible Sean would allow himself to be. Abby wanted him to meet Sean so he was doing it for her, and he was staying a couple of extra days to spend time with her alone after Sean was gone and couldn't do anything about it.

Chris may be curious about who the other guy is. When he pretended not to know who "my Seanie" was when Abby mentioned him -- that was affectation for the cameras for Sean to watch and "enjoy" later. Chris is not without his sense of humor.

Again, Chris can be the way he is because he has the least invested emotionally. Also, he's smarter than the two of them put together.

I get that we're supposed to be calling Dr. Chris a big sleazoid and whatnot, but the dude's got game. Abby is completely enamored with him. It's a little unusual, and I doubt she would feel the same way when he's 85, but if she's genuinely attracted to him, then I really don't have a problem with it. Maybe Chris doesn't make his way through a series of unwilling prostitutes. Maybe he likes to seduce a young woman and have her enjoy him every bit as much as he enjoys her. The money element is still not good, but look at where she would be without him? Either married and poor or working as a street prostitute. (The former being acceptable and the latter being dismal.) 

Look at it from his standpoint. Sean stepped into his parlor, and Sean was rude.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

These Americans are so embarrassing. I hope they don't play this show in other countries. 

Oh, they do. I was overseas this summer in a rather remote country and I turned on the TV for the first time, flipped four channels, and there was a rerun of 90DF, I kid you not with Ambassador Danielle.

• Love 8

I don't think Paul is mentally ill, or stupid, or clueless.  On the contrary, I think it's possible he is an honest-to-God, sociopathic con man-bad guy.

I really thought the "big secret" was going to be that Paul "suffers" from same-sex attraction and used to have boyfriend or something. I didn't see the restraining order/Firestarter thing coming. I started laughing when he was running and trying to jump in the river. As someone said up thread, it did seem rather manufactured.

If Darcy's not an alcoholic, then Jesse is super controlling and she needs to get the hell out of there.

I think the mugging was real. I am of course going to hell because my first thought was welp....no phone there goes that, no mas translator app! 

My heart broke for Karine who is the most desperate for a shot out of poverty. She also has the purest heart and integrity of any of the foreigners . 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, RichiesOlderBro said:

Abby is not using Sean to make Chris jealous.  Abby already knows that Chris loves her, but will never marry her.  Chris knows a marriage would never work.

Everyone seems to hate Chris, but he seems like the only adult out of the 3.  He is the only one getting what he wants.  I'm sure he only came to Haiti to help out Abby with getting her green card. 

I believe our that Corny was not texting with the real Antonio, but he agreed to be on the show.  

Everybody hates Chris...lol! But you're exactly right. He really does seem to be the only adult out of the three and the only one getting what he wants.

I have no problem with people with a huge age gap having sex if it is consensual and enjoyed by both parties. That's the exception to the rule but it seems to be the case between Abby and Chris. 

Chris is not a decrepit Hugh Hefner handing disgusted women their $1000 every morning to live with them. And, he seems to want to help her get a green card. He was very civilized.

Chris might have even been willing to be hands off once Abby got married, but Sean needed to be prepared to handle her texting him and talking with him on the phone. It certainly would still have been a full blown emotional affair if nothing else.  

I get that Sean was not willing to share his future wife, but he should have picked a different one.

Good call on Courtney and Antonio!

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Oh, they do. I was overseas this summer in a rather remote country and I turned on the TV for the first time, flipped four channels, and there was a rerun of 90DF, I kid you not with Ambassador Danielle.

OMG, Danielle is an international '"star."  I don't know how they can accurately translate her bad grammar, mispronunciations, and garbled speech.  So, on the bright side, the foreign countries which air this show will not witness the full crazy of Danielle. 

• Love 5

Paul took off running like Jerry Seinfeld's friend Frankie Merman. rotfl......   Can we put Paul, Courtney, and Sean on dinghy and send them to a private island???    Courtney is such a wet blanket, and a fun snatcher!  I was like Antonio put her on the 1st thing smoking so over her. I'm so team Chris didn't play into the producers fake drama like Sean.  Paul Paul Paul how you have Karina jump thru hops to get all those test done, when your the one with a checkered past?

• Love 4

We all know that Sean will propose to Abby because he is that dumb and desperate, Chris will always be in the wings and Abby will always have secret contact with him.  

Paul, OMG, what the hell?  What was he chanting about the water?  Do we think a crocodile ate him and his giant shoes?  The machete wielding thieves was nuts, did that really happen?  Karine should be more worried about some dangerous personality disorder than his fire setting issue, he turned full on crazy.  I bet his mother will say something like I was afraid that might happen when she sees this footage, like this happens from time to time.  How is Karine going to communicate with Paul now that her phone has been stolen?  Do we think it was a set up since just a few minutes prior to the robbery happening she told Paul she wanted to keep her phone in her pocket.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, WhatsUpDummy said:

Ok, Paul is legitimately unhinged. Dropping a bombshell on this girl about your criminal past and then immediately and literally running away into the woods. He had crazy eyes when he was begging her not to let him jump into that water. He needs help, she needs to go home. 

He absolutely was unhinged.  I was afraid he was going to hit Karine or push her in the water when he was fighting with her about the phone.  So if he has PFAs and an arson conviction, well, it's pretty clear that he has anger issues.  Yep, meek, mild, droopy drawers turns into the Hulk when angry.  

• Love 9

Courtney can make a relationship out of nothing, like the Fedex man delivers a box to her door and she would think who is this man bringing me a gift, he must love me!  Latin Lover should send her packing, she will boil his bunny at some point. Courtney is just not right in her thought process, she has done nothing but nag at him about other women, how does she start out nagging about other women and expect this man to want to be her boyfriend?  Did Antonio even give her the impression that he was looking for a long term relationship let alone wanting to get married? Antonio should know what sort of crazy he is dealing with.  

• Love 16
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Courtney is a pain in the ass. Get a clue, girl. She probably invited herself to Spain and Antonio figured he would have some fun with the cute American for a few days, then send her on her way.  That's it. 

completely.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, gavinmac said:
12 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

"If" Abby is a sex worker, it has not beaten her down. She still looks very fresh faced and attractive.  I know shes very young, but that is a hard life and puts a lot of mileage on a vagina and on a face. Just sayin.

I still believe that Abby is a soft hooker.  Others have already commented on the part of the Dominican Republic where she met Chris.  That is known not only as a sex workers spot, but also one of the highest places for HIV and STDs in the world.   You don't see hardness in Abby's eyes because she's 20 and have probably only been in the track for 2 to 4 years and perhaps occasionally.    Give her two more years and you'll see a seasoned whore probably hooked on drugs or alcohol and with very poor health.

Edited by AmyBre
  • Love 11

Paul! He drops a bomb of information on his girlfriend, and then up goes his ridiculous hoodie, and into the woods he goes! I can't believe I just watched that. Would that poop water really kill him? Karine should have pushed him in. I did catch, "I hate you!" in the closed captioning. Sounds like a true love story, doesn't it though? I am sad for Karine, because she will attach herself to this loser in order to come to the US. 

Sean: It's me or him.

Abby: His name is Chris. 

Sean, she just told you everything you need to know. You are a fool to marry this girl. Chalk it up to a trip, an ipad, a laptop, and 190 pairs of panties and go home. 

• Love 13
12 hours ago, WhatsUpDummy said:

Cortney is so dense I'm irritated just listening to her talk. Antonio is certainly no prize, but all she's done is bitch and moan about everything  and snoop through his phone. "Are we boyfriend and girlfriend?" "Does your sister know we're dating?"  Girl, make up your mind! One minute you're complaining about him and the next you're demanding he call you his girlfriend. She cannot take a hint. It's extremely clear he is not remotely interested her. Cortney, if you're having such a terrible time then leave! You're supposedly a world traveler. Ditch him and enjoy the rest of your time in Spain.

Cortney remains gauche, charmless and stupid. Antonio is equally lacking in charm or anything that might make him interesting. What the hell do they talk about? Their conversations are so stilted. And Cortney, if that text was from his sister, I'm the Queen of England. She must only wear slip ons, since I can't imagine Cortney having sufficient power in her brain pan to master shoe tying.

3 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Oh, Chris was well prepared for this and a myriad of other scenarios. I think Chris wanted to see how gullible Sean would allow himself to be. Abby wanted him to meet Sean so he was doing it for her, and he was staying a couple of extra days to spend time with her alone after Sean was gone and couldn't do anything about it.

Chris may be curious about who the other guy is. When he pretended not to know who "my Seanie" was when Abby mentioned him -- that was affectation for the cameras for Sean to watch and "enjoy" later. Chris is not without his sense of humor.

Again, Chris can be the way he is because he has the least invested emotionally. Also, he's smarter than the two of them put together.

I get that we're supposed to be calling Dr. Chris a big sleazoid and whatnot, but the dude's got game. Abby is completely enamored with him. It's a little unusual, and I doubt she would feel the same way when he's 85, but if she's genuinely attracted to him, then I really don't have a problem with it. Maybe Chris doesn't make his way through a series of unwilling prostitutes. Maybe he likes to seduce a young woman and have her enjoy him every bit as much as he enjoys her. The money element is still not good, but look at where she would be without him? Either married and poor or working as a street prostitute. (The former being acceptable and the latter being dismal.) 

Look at it from his standpoint. Sean stepped into his parlor, and Sean was rude.

I agree with all of this. Chris was perfectly relaxed because he has nothing to lose. If Abby walks, he can easily find another young beauty to play with when he winters in DR.  Clearly he knows how to enjoy himself, and not at the expense of his partner's enjoyment either--remember that Abby had to teach Sean (Mr. Letting My Freak Flag Fly) how to treat her right? Abby can't keep up with his level of smooth. If she was a little slicker she'd be holding all the cards. But she's dumb. She'll still have Chris, who has everything he wants and no risk, but she'll be stuck in Haiti and back to turning tricks in DR once he gets tired of her. If she was serious she had be prepared to walk away. But she wanted to have her cake and eat it too.

2 hours ago, Granny58 said:

He absolutely was unhinged.  I was afraid he was going to hit Karine or push her in the water when he was fighting with her about the phone.  So if he has PFAs and an arson conviction, well, it's pretty clear that he has anger issues.  Yep, meek, mild, droopy drawers turns into the Hulk when angry.  

Did you see the look on his face when Karine tried to take his phone away? Pure rage.

It was cute that he remembered to pull up his safety protection hood before running off into the woods. Safety first!

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I agree with all of this. Chris was perfectly relaxed because he has nothing to lose. If Abby walks, he can easily find another young beauty to play with when he winters in DR.  Clearly he knows how to enjoy himself, and not at the expense of his partner's enjoyment either--remember that Abby had to teach Sean (Mr. Letting My Freak Flag Fly) how to treat her right? Abby can't keep up with his level of smooth. If she was a little slicker she'd be holding all the cards. But she's dumb. She'll still have Chris, who has everything he wants and no risk, but she'll be stuck in Haiti and back to turning tricks in DR once he gets tired of her. If she was serious she had be prepared to walk away. But she wanted to have her cake and eat it too.

Did you see the look on his face when Karine tried to take his phone away? Pure rage.

It was cute that he remembered to pull up his safety protection hood before running off into the woods. Safety first!

That shows how calculated he is. And yes, his rage was palpable. Karine will take out a restraining order on him before all is said and done. Paul avoids relationships because he's afraid of himself (also girls run in the other direction). However, in the past 14 years, he's done nothing to work on himself.

Karine will have real reasons for a restraining order (unlike Mo). And, it won't take her long to find a better man in the states. (Face it, there's nowhere to go but up.) She's foolish, but she's young and naive and deferring to Paul as if being American gives him some kind of status. That won't last long though. This cop's daughter will find a better guy. Let's just hope Paul doesn't ever seriously hurt her.

The only thing that may have surprised Chris was Sean's narrow-mindedness. (Well, hey, I'm monogamous, but he probably expected any guy pursuing Abby to be a bit more flexible or at least ready to put up with a lot of late night phone calls to the other man.) He realizes Sean has been a fool. Chris has the strategic advantage and the advantage of intellect (which let's face it, helped him gain strategic advantage). 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, EastCoast4Life said:

Sean, she just told you everything you need to know. You are a fool to marry this girl. Chalk it up to a trip, an ipad, a laptop, and 190 pairs of panties and go home. 

Sean could have spent a quarter of that money and stay in a nice resort in Puerto Plata where he would have met Abby or 20 like her.  For $100 bucks she would have spent the night with him.  For $500, she would have spent the entire two-week period and "service" him on a regular basis.

But when we see Sean crying on camera, crying for the love of his life, after we hear Abby defending Chris, we realize what a capital L Loser Sean is and that he is doomed.   The worst of this is that he is so infatuated bacause a young girl is in love with him and this had never happened in his hicktown.....much less a girl of color.  He has low self esteem and a very low sense of worth of himself (two separate things).   Abby and Chris met later that night, had drink and dinner and then wild sex and laughed at Sean-ny.   Even as hungry and poor as Abby is, I saw a look in her face last night that screamed "what am I doing with this ass#@le?".    The minute a woman thinks that of a suitor, there is no way he is making it back in.   She might let him take her to dinner and buy her things, keep her entertained, but she won't give herself to him or trust him.    I also think that there is no physical chemistry (as in good sweaty sex) between Abby and Sean and that by the body language of Abby in the taxi, Chris hits the spot.  Over and over.

The only reason Chris agreed to meet Sean was so that he could laugh hard when he was intimate with Abby later on.   A guy like that does not travel into Haiti to meet a suitor of his girl.   The producers probably paid his ticket and his transportation into Haiti and hotel.   Remember that he is used to meeting Abby in the Dominican Republic.

Edited by AmyBre
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, MrHufflepuff said:

I feel like this could be a whole reality show genre:

Scabied and Afraid

The Scabies House

Scabied at First Sight

Finding Prince Scabies

The Family Scabies courtesy of Pedro

• Love 14
13 hours ago, peaceknit said:

Paul is so disturbed, it's scary.  

He is seriously mentally ill.  It hurts to watch.  And yet I watched.  

11 HOURS AGO,  MRHUFFLEPUFF SAID: 

I feel like this could be a whole reality show genre:

Scabied and Afraid

The Scabies House

Scabied at First Sight

Finding Prince Scabies

Scabies, The Revenge: This Time It's Personal

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

OMG, Danielle is an international '"star."  I don't know how they can accurately translate her bad grammar, mispronunciations, and garbled speech.  So, on the bright side, the foreign countries which air this show will not witness the full crazy of Danielle. 

Danielle is a star because foreigners in certain countries LOVE to make fun of dumb Americans.   

CS26_0012_Hanson_OH_GCR[1].jpg

• Love 6

That was an excruciating episode.  Between Paul's meltdown, the assault, Abby's obvious preference of Chris, Jesse turning into Mini-David Miscavige and the snoozefest of Corny and What'shisface, I longed for a few minutes of Patrick doing his Watch-Me-Bounce-Like-Tigger schtick on the streets of Paris. just for a bit of relief.    

• Love 6

Check out this "documentary" by Lisa Ling on Americans looking for love in other countries.   Lisa worked with Oprah so obviously there was a lot of money, thought and planning put into this episode.   I wish 90F was more like this.  If the quality of the stories continue being as poor, simple, eventually, we will stop watching it little by little.   TLC and Sharp have a good product here but they are diluting it with BS participants and fake storylines.

Edited by AmyBre
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

These Americans are so embarrassing. I hope they don't play this show in other countries. 

It might provide comic relief considering the other things that are going on in the states. And other people, as you can see, accept the crazies to get away from not enough to eat, to get a roof over their heads and get the opportunities they cannot get in their own country. Embarrassing is probably the least thing they think about.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, RichiesOlderBro said:

Abby is not using Sean to make Chris jealous.  Abby already knows that Chris loves her, but will never marry her.  Chris knows a marriage would never work.

Everyone seems to hate Chris, but he seems like the only adult out of the 3.  He is the only one getting what he wants.  I'm sure he only came to Haiti to help out Abby with getting her green card. 

I believe our that Corny was not texting with the real Antonio, but he agreed to be on the show.  

IMO neither Chris loves Abby, not Abby loves Chris . They both use each other and they know the terms of their liaison. 

Abby loves Chris money and the fact that he is a doctor, if he would marry her, she would be set and traveling everywhere. 

Chris will never marry her, he will bang her and use her but will never marry him. Abby is not the only one he is doing, he probably has a lot of different side pieces everywhere he goes. 

Abby used Sean to force Chris to propose, it didn't work and now she is going to use Sean for the green card to to come out of Haiti to the U.S. and hope and pray that Chris will take her as his mistress when he is not traveling. 

Abby and Sean are both heartless, they have not one shred of emotion invested in this so it is easy for them to disengage. Sean OTOH has been stupid enough to have fallen for Scabby and so now he thinks he can make it work. Sadly he will learn his lesson the hard way. Abby will use him and then discard him as fast as she can. Worse yet, everybody will tell Sean, you know she didn't love you so suck it up. 

It is sad for me to see a 20 year old girl that has more mileage and has learned to play these dangerous games with men at this short age. I know life is very hard in Haiti, but Abby is smart , her English is pretty good, there are so many more things she could have done with her life but she decided long ago that her only way up was through someone old enough to be her grandfather (Chris) or her father (Sean), she is selling her beauty and her body to the highest bidder and she will never change, this is the life she has chosen. Really sad. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

That's what I think, too. Poor thing!

TLC producers wouldn't be that disingenuous.

Producers pray every night and twice on Sundays for on-camera atrocities.   I'm sure the crew high-fived afterwards.

• Love 4

"I've been very badly burned by past relationships."

Interesting choice of words coming from you, Paul!

46 minutes ago, AmyBre said:

Check out this "documentary" by Lisa Ling on Americans looking for love in other countries.   Lisa worked with Oprah so obviously there was a lot of money, thought and planning put into this episode.   I wish 90F was more like this.  If the quality of the stories continue being as poor, simple, eventually, we will stop watching it little by little.   TLC and Sharp have a good product here but they are diluting it with BS participants and fake storylines.

Agreed. Watching the real thing play out is more interesting. However, the game of it becomes figuring out what's real because there's still plenty of real there.

Another good one is called "Love Me" about brides from the Ukraine. It's absolutely the bottom-of-the-barrel loser-y guys go over there to "score."

Thanks for sharing this. I will check it out.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, AnnaL said:

It is sad for me to see a 20 year old girl that has more mileage and has learned to play these dangerous games with men at this short age. I know life is very hard in Haiti, but Abby is smart , her English is pretty good, there are so many more things she could have done with her life but she decided long ago that her only way up was through someone old enough to be her grandfather (Chris) or her father (Sean), she is selling her beauty and her body to the highest bidder and she will never change, this is the life she has chosen. Really sad. 

It's the sad truth about whores and hustlers and drug dealers everywhere.  Under the right guidance or under different circumstances, they will develop to be productive and successful people, but somewhere along their route, they took a shortcut to what they thought was the easy life and now they are stuck on it.   I agree that Abby is smart and can probably have a great life if she goes straight.  She's very street smart.

She needs moral and spiritual smarts, which she completely lacks and she needs formal education smarts, which she hasn't shown much aside from selling panties.

I sincerely hope she finds a way out of that hard and sad life of prostitution.

Edited by AmyBre
  • Love 6

Whatever Abbi does has not led me to call her names. If she is a sex worker then it is due to the conditioning of her environment that has been devastated not only by natural disasters but invaders, etc. She doesn't seem to have it as badly as the majority of Haitians. People who cannot even seek refuge or asylum in one of the countries it has often helped in the time of war (real history, here). The United States escorted boatloads of Haitians away from here. 

One of the things that has stuck with me all these years was the Haitian Mud Pie. Some are made with shortening and some are made with butter (which is surprisingly easy to get) but all are made of dirt. When there is no food these mud pies fill the stomachs of those too poor to get food.

And I've seen babies, toddlers, teens and young woman in other countries who could not afford to eat or no one would feed them yet someone always made them available as sex workers. Even the men of these poorest of countries seem to have enough to pay for sex but not enough to feed their families.

My wish for Abbi is that she can manipulate her way out of whatever she is doing and into something more stable for herself.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/01/080130-AP-haiti-eatin.html 

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 17
43 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

The Family Scabies courtesy of Pedro

Bwaahahaha any of the Pedro_isms get me each and every damn time.

Thank you reality tv gods for Sunday night.

Never ever drinking ever again? Just NO Jesse. 

“I like champagne .” Her hints about champagne and how she wants to be swept off her feet as as bad as Darcys heavy proposal hints. Cortney really thinks she is in Cinderella’s castle like a dancing candelabra and a personified mop bucket singing is the only standard she will accept in a relationship. Orlando has done this midwestern girl in. You’re  NOT A DISNEY PRINCESS, CORNY. Oh and also I could listen to Antonio’s nasal cartoon character broken snide English ALL DAY long he is the best.

I cracked up when Sean shook Chris’ hand then Sean flung it apart ....half releasing half brushing it off like “oh FFS this fucking guy I give up” . I rewound it like 8 times. I promise you. Do it. I cracked up. Her body language with Sean is dead eyes. She has all eyes for Chris. Why isn’t Chris scared of the scabies? Reference for the Bigfoot and Stern fans (“I have the scabies, it is.” Lol ]

Paul. What more can be said? He is not well. Someone and I’m looking at all of us needs to get out our translator app and send it telepathically to Father Karine that Paul is one scary mofo. Save Karine ! Maybe she can come back on a future season like they do on the Bachelor. 

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Agreed. Watching the real thing play out is more interesting. However, the game of it becomes figuring out what's real because there's still plenty of real there.

Another good one is called "Love Me" about brides from the Ukraine. It's absolutely the bottom-of-the-barrel loser-y guys go over there to "score."

Thanks for sharing this. I will check it out.

I have watched those also on Youtube. Lisa Ling and then a couple of guys who run these match-ups as a business. Not all come home with a bride, though. Some are very open about their lack of success. So if you want something less producer manipulated try doing a search for online brides on youtube.com.

11 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I find the fact that Abby has Scabies absolutely disgusting. What is wrong with either one of these men that they have no problem wanting to touch her?  That shit is infectious. 

yes, they were all so nonchalant about the scabies. I was eating  snack of homemade salsa and chips and completely lost my appetite thinking of them sharing scabies. So disgusting.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Dobian said:

No I'm not controlling, you just can't have a single cocktail or glass of wine for the entire rest of your life.  Totally reasonable

I'm not controlling, but it certainly would have made my childhood easier if my father did not have a DROP of alcohol.   My children's lives would have been easier if their father could have abstained.  Some people can't handle just "a single cocktail or glass of wine."   Sadly, I understand Jesse's request (wasn't it done kindly?) too well.   Darcey's a snotty, needy woman...without alcohol.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Or he could have set his house on fire to collect the insurance money. I know a couple who did that. It wasn't because they had an attraction to fire, they wanted $$$. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I'm not controlling, but it certainly would have made my childhood easier if my father did not have a DROP of alcohol.   My children's lives would have been easier if their father could have abstained.  Some people can't handle just "a single cocktail or glass of wine."   Sadly, I understand Jesse's request (wasn't it done kindly?) too well.   Darcey's a snotty, needy woman...without alcohol.

Getting drunk once doesn't make you an alcoholic.  That kind of demand is one you make when your partner appears to be drinking a lot regularly and it's affecting your relationship with them.  While I appreciate that he has some family history of dealing with alcoholism, it really wasn't his place to be dropping such a heavy restriction on her based on one night at a bar.  "Drink responsibly" would have been the better initial message.

• Love 20
51 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

Whatever Abbi does has not led me to call her names.

I agree strongly about this.   It has been bothering me all morning.  I don't think anyone seeks out or wants to be a prostitute, so calling especially a young woman in a country like that a name (other than prostitute) is very unnecessary.

I am 100% sure that Abby if she could would be living a happy and healthy life in her own country, never having to meet any disgusting unattractive loser American men.

Edited by Cherrio
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, AmyBre said:

I also think that there is no physical chemistry (as in good sweaty sex) between Abby and Sean and that by the body language of Abby in the taxi, Chris hits the spot.  Over and over.

I agree completely with your post, but the sentence above both horrifies and saddens me. Abby is 20 years old. When I was 20 I thought men in their 30s were "old". What a life she's had.

• Love 5

I don't expect much of TLC, but I would think they would at least run a background check on their participants. The fact that Paul was in prison for arson and has/had a restraining order from another relationship would be enough to scratch him as a candidate. But I guess TLC saw a ratings goldmine and decided that crazy people acting crazy for ratings is #1. 

As far as Jesse and Darcy, again, I would hope that TLC uses some of it's resources to make sure these people aren't just making shit up to get on TV. There has been enough reported  on the Interwebs about these people to make it easy to figure out who is faking it. 

I guess TLC don't care, as long as the ratings...well you know.  

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 2

Paul has been wearing the same jacket, pants and shoes since he arrived. His ass is just as swampy as that damn body of water. 

10 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

I thought Jesse was being really harsh and rigid about the drinking and how I would be insulted if someone told me I had to agree to never drink again or our relationship was over. In that tone. Everything about that tone made me scream "NOPE."

I would see no issue if Jesse requested Darcy to never drink in excess to the point of drunkenly crawling thru bushes but to never drink again. Gurl, get your LV bags (with the makeup) and go!! 

LightheartedFineAuk-max-1mb.gif

• Love 5

Jesse is controlling and Darcy is desperate to get married and have a baby. This can only end well.

My parents sometimes went to parties and drank when I was little. They weren't alcoholics and I turned out just fine. Jesse doesn't know enough about Darcy yet to judge whether she has a problem with alcohol or not. And yes, Darcy is horrible, but we don't know if she has a problem with alcohol. And Jesse is no prize from what has been shown on the television.

I feel bad for Abby. She's a young woman with no options but an American sugar daddy. I wish someone would offer her an education so she could find opportunity outside of Haiti.

• Love 7