Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

I have another $20 that says that Larry is mentally sick.   If this is the case, it would explain a lot.

I reiterate that neither Nicole nor Larry get a "free pass" at doing dumb things because they are not playing with a full deck.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, millennium said:

My biggest fear would be tapeworm.   Third world country, no FDA, pig cooked outside of my supervision ... But I would have eaten it.  Because even in America, a country that produces legions of dumbasses too ignorant to remove their baseball caps when eating or in the presence of ladies, everyone knows that when you're a guest, you eat what you are served.  Anything less is an insult.

rB0U2gS.gif

Yes, my only concern would be tapeworms or trichinosis.  But the pork did seem to be very well cooked.  

In a more casual setting, I wouldn't mind a guest declining food that  he finds unappetizing or is afraid of for some reason.  But, this was a very special occasion and the family had spent a lot of money time preparing the pig to honor Larry.  

Also, if Jenny is really the woman he loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with, he needs to suck it about and eat whatever they give him.  I think his refusal to eat was an insult to her ("You're not important enough to me for me to eat a plate of pig.") in addition to an insult to her family.  That said, I do think Jenny could have communicated this more clearly to Larry, who as others have pointed out, does not seem good at detecting social cues.  

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

He very clearly said he was not going to eat the lechon because it looked disgusting and he didn't want to get diarrhea. He clearly said this was the reason. Now everyone is saying "oh he is Jewish" "oh he is a Vegan" oh he doesnt eat meat. NO, he was repulsed by the lechon. which he said a few times. He was grossed out and afraid of diarrhea.

No social skills at all. Clueless Asshole. He really had no idea he was insulted them. He could have pretended his religion didnt allow him to eat for example, and thanked them, but he is an idiot.

The only problem with Larry faking a religious objection could be that the family might be assuming he is of their faith or at least a similar one.  Over 80% of filipinos are Roman Catholic.  

16 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I can tell you in my culture (we are Indo Caribbean), it would be very offensive to treat the food my family spent time, effort, and money to acquire and make, and behave like Larry did that lechon.  Also, Larry lives in Pinellas....HOW HAVEN'T YOU BEEN TO A CUBAN'S HOUSE FOR CHRISTMAS LECHON BEFORE?!  I don't eat pork and I've been invited multiple times for lechon.  Come on, man.

Me too! I had one guy I brought home not eat anything my German family prepared and was called a " Peasant! Ill Mannered!"

27 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

He very clearly said he was not going to eat the lechon because it looked disgusting and he didn't want to get diarrhea. He clearly said this was the reason. Now everyone is saying "oh he is Jewish" "oh he is a Vegan" oh he doesnt eat meat. NO, he was repulsed by the lechon. which he said a few times. He was grossed out and afraid of diarrhea.

All he eats is MacDonalds so I guess we should have known. Another weird,awkward dude with no manners or social skills.

1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

Jenny cast a wide net and Larry was the first one she caught. She would like to throw him back, but she knows she can't do any better. She's probably been at this for quite some time. She'll definitely wear the pants in that relationship. And she can't wait to get rid of him.

That is also why she calls them all LOVE - so she doesnt have to remember names. The pics he has are not of her and I think she is desperate so no going back now.

• Love 1

My husband loves Peking duck, so one day I got him a whole roasted duck at an Asian supermarket, with the head and feet attached. He was repulsed at the sight of it!

However, when we were watching this episode, the moment he saw the pig unveiled, he was like "OMG, I would eat this whole pig if I was there, it looks amazing!" ?

Men are weird.

• Love 13
21 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Re: the bowing, I am so glad you went further than I did and googled it because I definitely got the feeling that at least he had tried to do some homework and that was his bumbling way of TRYING ...

And re: Sacre Coeur, totally with you there ... with all of the iconic sights and sites of Paris, for some reason sitting at the top of the Sacre Coeur steps and looking down at everything from there is the single most recognizable one for me! We're going back to Paris for a few days (actually bracketing a river cruise in Burgundy with a few days in Paris on either side) and while there are several places I want to go that we didn't get to the first time, that is one place I REALLY want to revisit (Sacre Coeur, Montmartre, etc.)

I was just there yesterday. Tourist trap nightmare these days and so much security that its hard to relax and enjoy. Try the Marais instead.  

I will be counting the shirtless joggers tomorrow for a full report. Lol

• Love 4

I would think that after a few phone conversations with Larry, you might be able to tell he was a dumbass. She looked so letdown and disgusted when she picked him up because he did turn out to be a "classless asshat". I know you like his big nose but throw him back and try again Jenny.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, spankydoll said:

I was just there yesterday. Tourist trap nightmare these days and so much security that its hard to relax and enjoy. Try the Marais instead.  

I will be counting the shirtless joggers tomorrow for a full report. Lol

SpankyDoll, you are in Paris (on vacation I assume) and you find time to come and rip it with us???!!!!!     

I think I want to be your BFF.

• Love 5

Larry said he didn't want to eat the pork because he was afraid of getting "die-rear". Some people, even non-Catholics, make the "sign of the cross" before doing something scary, like in a joking "well, here goes nothing" way. 

• Love 2

Ha Ha Antonio's friend: I am so surprised they are not having sex. Antonio usually has a big SEX sign drawn on his forehead!

You know he is only putting up with her because there is a TV crew. He must have signed a contract and has to see this whole thing through. If there were no show, he would have shown her the door by now. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ivanova said:

I'm mildly annoyed by how Patrick always says "Paris, France". I understand it's how you name places in the US, but come on. Not to be confused with Paris, TX?

No, it's how dumbasses name places that have so much renown that they don't need to be named in that way. When you say "Paris", people think "France". Just like when you say "London", people think either "UK" or "England" and not "Kentucky". This could be fun, you know. We could play some word association! "Versailles" ..... now did you think "France" or "Indiana"? "Berlin" .... did you think "Germany" or "Wisconsin" or "Connecticut" or "Massachusetts"? "Cairo" ... did you think "Egypt" or "Illinois"? LOL. There's so much fun to be had with this! :P

• Love 8

Re: Larry doing the traditional Filipino greeting with the dad's hand to forehead.

When my husband saw it, he said Larry is the reverse Borat ?

34 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

Ha Ha Antonio's friend: I am so surprised they are not having sex.

I agree.

Also, Antonio's friend reminds me of some character, but I can't put my finger on it ?

• Love 2

We could play some word association! "Versailles" ..... now did you think "France" or "Indiana"? "Berlin" .... did you think "Germany" or "Wisconsin" or "Connecticut" or "Massachusetts"? "Cairo" ... did you think "Egypt" or "Illinois"? LOL. There's so much fun to be had with this! :P

Ha, Ha I will play.

Norway.....Maine

Sweden.....Maine

Calais....Maine (pronounced Callas btw)

China.....Maine

I could go on but I will spare you.

• Love 9

What is wrong with Larry? He was starting to have an anxiety attack at the thought of eating the pig. He is missing out big time, I have been to a few pig roasts and its yummy and now he looks like an idiot to the family...talk about not knowing thing one about another culture let alone picking up on social cues. I think Jenny is crying because she just realized her stooge is an idiot, she hitched her wagon to an idiot. 

Why does Patrick have to make a spectacle of himself on the streets of Paris, France? The constant flipping just to prove he is wild and wacky is tiresome. 

Paul really thought he could have warded off the cell phone mugger? I bet he practices his karate moves in front of his bedroom mirror.

• Love 14
12 hours ago, millennium said:

I did not enjoy this week's episode of Patrick's Got Talent.

Worse than his backflips and mugging for the camera is the trick he's trying to pull on Myriam -- pretending to be a friend and confidante while shamelessly trying to undermine her relationship for his advantage.   I think it would be great if Boyfriend Myriam shows up next week and kicks Patrick's happity ass.

Yes, I agree. I didn't mind Patrick being all manic pixie boy, he clearly loves to show off and entertain, no harm in that. Some people enjoy it, some don't. Myriam seems to admire it so of course he's ramping it up. But I hate that he says he respects Myriam and respects that she has a boyfriend, but does all he can to get her to question her relationship. Stop it Patrick. 

1 hour ago, Drogo said:

For the love of pork, Larry - why haven't you given the family their candy yet?????

He should have launched some Snickers bars in the opposite direction and while they were all gathering them up he could have fed his plate to the goats and nature.  Missed opportunity.

I wondered about that too! WHERE IS THE CANDY, LARRY??

I don't think Larry is on the spectrum, or has a mental disorder, or anything clinical. I think he is just painfully awkward, not very bright, has no social skills, and so uncomfortable away from things familiar to him he's all discombobulated. He's never been out of his own circle, so he's never had to cope socially. He's weird about food. I've known people who won't eat anything green, who don't want their food to touch (people over three years old, too), who remove every molecule of fat from their meat, who have texture issues so won't eat beans or mushrooms; there are all kinds of weird food issues people have. I won't touch lobster tomalley, and I'm an adventurous eater from New England and think cherrystones and oysters are heaven on a plate. Larry is terrified of eating local food because he's afraid he'll get an upset tummy. He's stupid, and rude.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, shannew said:

Ok, I rewatched Larry segments I see why he's single.  He showed no compassion, nor understanding what Jenny was saying.  A normal man would have hugged, held your hand and gave a reason or even apology for his reaction.  He kept standing there like a deer in a headlight.  He was such a turnoff!   I'm not saying a man have to be your savior but good god grow a pair.

This exactly!!! I was surprised at his reaction to her being upset. My husband has pulled that clueless shit a couple of times and that in itself made the argument 1000x worse.

Something is fishy about this piggate, lol. If Larry is a vegetarian, why doesn't Jenny know already? She must have noticed when they had dinner (prior to the family feast) that there was no meat on his plate? I don't know how much time had passed between him arriving and their  visit with the family but the beginning of this episode had them sitting at a restaurant. Either she didn't notice that he didn't order meat, or doesn't care enough to notice and/or thought nothing of it.

4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Also, if Jenny is really the woman he loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with, he needs to suck it about and eat whatever they give him.  I think his refusal to eat was an insult to her ("You're not important enough to me for me to eat a plate of pig.") in addition to an insult to her family.  That said, I do think Jenny could have communicated this more clearly to Larry, who as others have pointed out, does not seem good at detecting social cues.  

Thats a lot to expect of someone, IF you know in advance that they don't eat meat. Perhaps Jenny hasn't met any vegetarians and doesn't understand the concept and thinks Larry is simply being selfish or immature.

That being said, I'm a vegetarian and if I was in Larry's shoes, first off, I would have stressed that I'm a veg well in advance of the feast. Then if that fell upon deaf ears I would have eaten the meat. Yeah, I'd probably spend the rest of the party in their outhouse but the last thing I would want to do when meeting potential in-laws is insult them and make a bad impression.

• Love 6

Antonio's friend is a true wing man, he was hooking a dude up telling Courtney that Antonio was going slow because she is important to him. What a load of crap but she totally bought it.

If Larry couldn't bring himself to eat pork how would he have lasted a night in Jenny's home? 

• Love 5

Larry needs to get married like he needs another hole in his head. Jenny isn’t into him, he refused to eat a meal that probably cost them a LOT of money. If I had walked into my prospective spouse’s family home and saw how poor they are.... I’d have eaten the head of that pig to show them respect and thanks.

I agree with the earlier poster, I want to drown Paul. I want to dunk him in dirty water and watch him get eaten up by snakes.

I once dated someone who was German, and the family laid out a feast of German delicacies. I’d never had most of them, but I was so appreciative of them trying to welcome me into the fold, I ate until I was stuffed. Larry’s sons must be so proud.

• Love 5

I'm a vegetarian also, and a vegan when possible. I have been invited to dinner and all I say is that I don't eat meat but please don't do anything special for me. However, a few years ago an elderly friend of my mother's invited us to lunch. The vegetable soup was DELICIOUS, turned out it was made with chicken stock (well, I guess it's not technically meat since there are no solids.) I smiled and ate it. I have not consciously eaten meat for several decades but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. (This happens a lot more than you would realize. Packaged rice mixes and the like usually contain some kind of meat stock.)

• Love 6

for the 100th time, Larry is NOT a vegetarian! He is just a clueless jackass!

He clearly stated that he thought the lechon was disgusting and would give him diarrear.

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 16
23 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

Larry is an embarrassment to mankind.    From his interactions with Jenny's family and his mindless chats with Jenny -- yes love, no love --  I bet my shoe collection that he suffers from a form of dementia.   This explains why he didn't date for 12 years.    Any adult, even a clueless jackass adult will have a moment to reflection later on and realize he made a fool of himself and should apologize.   Instead, he asks Jenny what's up with the face.   Larry should marry Nicole, they deserve each other.

Edited by AmyBre
  • Love 3

Why wouldn't Larry research,  "typical Phillipino dinners/gatherings/traditions," etc;  prior to spending his 401 K?     Just sayin'.   

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

I smiled and ate it. I have not consciously eaten meat for several decades but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. (This happens a lot more than you would realize. Packaged rice mixes and the like usually contain some kind of meat stock.)

Yeah sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Good for you not eating it for several decades! I'm only 3 years in.

Also, the part about the rice mixes and other things containing meat stock: the rice or whatever sides Jenny's family prepared might have contained meat stock or little bits of meat, not leaving much for Larry to eat. I have bit the bullet also and had my in-laws rice several times, it was delicious! (The little bits of meat go to the dogs patiently waiting at my foot).

24 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

Please see my post on the Larry and Jenny thread.

• Love 1

I am shocked at Nicole's father saying he will co-sponsor Azan, her referring to him as Daddy to her daughter and her shrug when asked if she thinks she maybe being used.  Clearly it's what she wants now (insert foot stomping, whining and breath holding) and her father has seen this behavior before and gives in before the hysterics start. I bet she will want a big wedding and expects Daddy to foot the bill for that too.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Me from ME said:

Ha, Ha I will play.

Norway.....Maine

Sweden.....Maine

Calais....Maine (pronounced Callas btw)

China.....Maine

I could go on but I will spare you.

Naples ... Maine

Paris ... Maine

Mooselookmeguntic ... Maine

(hmm, that last one doesn't really work, does it?)

• Love 5
8 hours ago, millennium said:

I'll stipulate to food restrictions and allergies as an exception.   Otherwise, the polite thing is to eat the food and not scrunch up your face or start gagging.   There are certain dishes I've tried once and only once, and only because they were served to me when I was a guest in someone's home.  

except eyes.  I don't think I could get those down.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, eggsnbacon said:

This poor family, truly poor family probably spent a month or more wages on that pig. It is disrespectful becuase of the situation this family is in and they spent money on somethign they themselves rarely get to eat. A celebration meal, they were honoring him.  It has nothign to do with food preferences, its disrespectful toward them giving him a true gift. Just eat the dang pig once. I've worked in some of these places and its possibly the worst thing you  could ever do is turn down the gift of food. 

And for some of us, "the worst thing you could ever do is" force somebody to eat something they are repulsed by. And it could be argued that it's disrespectful to presume someone has the same taste in food as you do and expect them to eat something they don't want.  My parents are an intercultural couple and thankfully neither side of in-laws stood on ceremony to this degree. The fact tears are being shed and feelings are being hurt over something so trivial, in the grand scheme of things, suggests incompatibility more so than bad manners.

55 minutes ago, jnymph said:

Why wouldn't Larry research,  "typical Phillipino dinners/gatherings/traditions," etc;  prior to spending his 401 K?     Just sayin'.   

He can research all he wants but if a charred pig's carcass isn't his thing, he's not going to at it. And ppl have to accept each other's references and sensibilities.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, millennium said:

My biggest fear would be tapeworm.   Third world country, no FDA, pig cooked outside of my supervision ... But I would have eaten it.  Because even in America, a country that produces legions of dumbasses too ignorant to remove their baseball caps when eating or in the presence of ladies, everyone knows that when you're a guest, you eat what you are served.  Anything less is an insult.

rB0U2gS.gif

You'd risk tapeworm to appease her father? Yes, that makes total sense! lol

1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I did not enjoy this week's episode of Patrick's Got Talent.

I  think everybody is hilarious and on fire today, but this line actually make me (literally) Laugh Out Loud.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Yes, I agree. I didn't mind Patrick being all manic pixie boy, he clearly loves to show off and entertain, no harm in that. Some people enjoy it, some don't. Myriam seems to admire it so of course he's ramping it up. But I hate that he says he respects Myriam and respects that she has a boyfriend, but does all he can to get her to question her relationship. Stop it Patrick. 

I wondered about that too! WHERE IS THE CANDY, LARRY??

I don't think Larry is on the spectrum, or has a mental disorder, or anything clinical. I think he is just painfully awkward, not very bright, has no social skills, and so uncomfortable away from things familiar to him he's all discombobulated. He's never been out of his own circle, so he's never had to cope socially. He's weird about food. I've known people who won't eat anything green, who don't want their food to touch (people over three years old, too), who remove every molecule of fat from their meat, who have texture issues so won't eat beans or mushrooms; there are all kinds of weird food issues people have. I won't touch lobster tomalley, and I'm an adventurous eater from New England and think cherrystones and oysters are heaven on a plate. Larry is terrified of eating local food because he's afraid he'll get an upset tummy. He's stupid, and rude.

That is me. I am a grown adult who does not want my food to touch. In fact, normally I only put one thing on my plate at a time. I will eat all of it and then move on to the next thing. No touching or mixing for me. I know it's weird, but I can't do it. I would never be able to eat that pig after seeing the head chopped off like that! I would have taken a bite while everyone was looking and hidden the rest under the rice.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Major Bigtime said:

Larry needs to get married like he needs another hole in his head. Jenny isn’t into him, he refused to eat a meal that probably cost them a LOT of money. If I had walked into my prospective spouse’s family home and saw how poor they are.... I’d have eaten the head of that pig to show them respect and thanks.

I agree with the earlier poster, I want to drown Paul. I want to dunk him in dirty water and watch him get eaten up by snakes.

I once dated someone who was German, and the family laid out a feast of German delicacies. I’d never had most of them, but I was so appreciative of them trying to welcome me into the fold, I ate until I was stuffed. Larry’s sons must be so proud.

The older son was joining the Army, their wasn't any college money left after you hook up on Filipino Cupid.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chickenella said:

This exactly!!! I was surprised at his reaction to her being upset. My husband has pulled that clueless shit a couple of times and that in itself made the argument 1000x worse.

Something is fishy about this piggate, lol. If Larry is a vegetarian, why doesn't Jenny know already? She must have noticed when they had dinner (prior to the family feast) that there was no meat on his plate? I don't know how much time had passed between him arriving and their  visit with the family but the beginning of this episode had them sitting at a restaurant. Either she didn't notice that he didn't order meat, or doesn't care enough to notice and/or thought nothing of it.

Thats a lot to expect of someone, IF you know in advance that they don't eat meat. Perhaps Jenny hasn't met any vegetarians and doesn't understand the concept and thinks Larry is simply being selfish or immature.

That being said, I'm a vegetarian and if I was in Larry's shoes, first off, I would have stressed that I'm a veg well in advance of the feast. Then if that fell upon deaf ears I would have eaten the meat. Yeah, I'd probably spend the rest of the party in their outhouse but the last thing I would want to do when meeting potential in-laws is insult them and make a bad impression.

Did he ever say he was a vegetarian?  I got the sense it was just that he was put off by seeing the whole pig, "from the rooter to the tooter" and was also a bit skittish about eating 3rd world pork in general.  

I don't think either Larry or Jenny did a good job communicating on the matter.  Not a good sign for a potential marriage.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MrSmith said:

h Andrew what's-his-name where he goes around the world trying various foods and dining with people in the countries he visits. It's like Anthony Bourdain's show, but without the pretentious-ass-as-show-host.

Anthony Bourdain had to eat warthog anus on one of his trips.  His take, "They are sharing what little they have with you! Be grateful!

• Love 9

Aaaaand, ordering calamari in certain places where it is not locally sourced or is especially inexpensive might just get you sections of a pig's anus. (Source: This American Life)

Before long cloned meat will be available. I'm not sure how I will react to that. It will be meat without a face, without the suffering and completely created in a lab from a set of cells that have been harvested from an animal with a face. I don't even know if I will try the totally vegan burgers that appear to "bleed" because I didn't like that feature when I did eat meat.

There was a pair of female physicians who won the Amazing Race a few years ago. I really admired them for how they went about doing the tasks. They were both vegetarians and had to each eat a whole sheep's head in one of the Scandinavian countries. Their million dollars was totally earned in my opinion.

I know Larry is not a vegetarian but if he eats at his own place of work he probably has consumed "red slime" which is far more grotesque. I believe the McRibs contain some offal. I guess "meat by-products" or, "natural flavoring" fools him as well.

Edited by Me from ME
Grammar
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, BravoAddict72 said:

That is me. I am a grown adult who does not want my food to touch. In fact, normally I only put one thing on my plate at a time. I will eat all of it and then move on to the next thing. No touching or mixing for me. I know it's weird, but I can't do it. I would never be able to eat that pig after seeing the head chopped off like that! I would have taken a bite while everyone was looking and hidden the rest under the rice.

Yup, me too. An ex jokingly bought me sectioned plates because I'm so fussy about food touching other food, but joke's on him because I still use them. That said, I would have eaten the CRAP outta that roast pig. YUMMMMM. 

• Love 5
On 10/8/2017 at 10:59 PM, Meowwww said:

Larry says he doesn’t eat meat.  That’s fine.  But share it with her family before getting there. His awkward bro hugs for the win  

Miryam is making up the “boyfriend”. 

Hubby and I noticed Karine and her phone that was supposedly stolen. 

I didn't hear Larry say he didn't eat meat. Didn't he have a hotdog with his kids before he left the US?

• Love 2
On 10/9/2017 at 1:16 PM, Granny58 said:

that's very interesting, I've never heard of that before.  And given that HFCS is in almost everything, that must be very difficult for you.  Gotta say...I did feel some satisfaction at the thought of you throwing the roll and then vomiting in front of your great aunt (not that you vomited, but that it then became an issue for great aunt to deal with), a sort of revenge.  

On 10/9/2017 at 1:22 PM, MrSmith said:

@Christina Oh. My. God. I think the fact you only made it two steps before vomiting was the perfect karmic result of your great aunt being such a horrible, demonic bitch. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to find foods you can actually eat. I avoid HFCS because I don't like the bitter aftertaste it leaves and because I don't like its effects on my body, though I don't have the problem you do. I'm sorry you suffer such anxiety over it, too. We've had guests who had dietary proscriptions and had no problem observing them. I can't understand people like your great aunt who do have a problem with it. You're a guest and I have a thing about not wanting my guests to get sick. Maybe I'm funny that way. :D

On 10/9/2017 at 2:35 PM, Sprockets said:

Like you, I have very severe food restrictions, to the point that I can no longer eat in restaurants, and I share the anxiety that accompanies it.  If Larry has something similar, he should have communicated it to his hosts in some tactful way, but he didn't.  

My great aunt just thought I was making it up and didn't want to admit that the food she claimed to slave over every Sunday was packaged. I even gave her an out on the bread by asking if she added honey or molasses to it, and she continued to deny it because she thought I was being ridiculous and rude.

Larry is everything he has been called in these threads, but his facial expression when he saw the pig, along with the way he put it in his mouth and immediately spit it out was all an anxiety ridden response. He didn't understand why it was rude because he is all those other things.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, millennium said:

Naples ... Maine

Paris ... Maine

Mooselookmeguntic ... Maine

(hmm, that last one doesn't really work, does it?)

This whole subthread is cracking my s%$# up ... I've always wondered what is it about Maine with all these town names? I actually went to sleepaway camp (do they even still call it that, asked the old lady?) in Naples, Maine. Rumor had it there was actually a pizzeria (not to be confused with Larry's "dia-rear") IN Naples where the counselors hung out on their nights off (at 13, we never got to go into town so I can't confirm or deny) ... I think it was called Mario's. And I think that was the only thing remotely Italian about the town. (That said, I adore Maine and its beautiful coastal towns/cities AND inland lakeside havens). 

• Love 2

Some thoughts on Forrest and Jenny. The first time I met my filipina wife's family, we were one minute from the house in the taxi and she said I need to greet them with this hand on forehead gesture. Say what? Never heard of it. I guess I gave it a shot and I'm glad nobody was filming it.

This will sound wrong but Jenny isn't that poor. They have a hollow block house, enough land for pretty goats, some furnishings. Most of them sleep right on the floor like her. My wife agreed they are several steps above poor and if you want to see abject, heartbreaking poverty over there it is easy to find. Their house is shocking by US standards but ok in the RP. 

Larry Lechon showed what an ass he is. All the Filipinos I know avoid undercooked meat. First time my wife saw me eating a bleeding rare elk steak she worried I was a vampire. We had a 2nd wedding there and had lechon. What a feast. They know how to cook. Another thing, there aren't refrigerators so that hog needs to be eaten by family and neighbors. Larry didn't help. I don't see him being much help with anything else in the future,  either.

• Love 21

By the way, it's not even a pig, is it? It's a piglet from what I understand. A suckling pig who has only been eating milk and not real pig food. The name suggests it, "lechon", "leche", "tres leches", milk. I'm curious if there's a big chance of parasites in a piglet.

10 minutes ago, Ivanova said:

By the way, it's not even a pig, is it? It's a piglet from what I understand. A suckling pig who has only been eating milk and not real pig food. The name suggests it, "lechon", "leche", "tres leches", milk. I'm curious if there's a big chance of parasites in a piglet.

No, it's a weaned growing pig, usually 60 or 80 lb live weight roughly. A suckling pig would be 8 or 10 pounds. They also lechon bigger hogs if the  party size calls for it.

A thought I had after this episode was that Paul is totally planning on isolating Karine.  I was wondering why he went to Brazil, when there would be women from other Latin American countries who might not have been in such remote areas for him to travel to meet them.  Then I realized that Karine speaking Portuguese would be less likely to find a community or friends near to Louisville that would be Portuguese speaking.  Someone who spoke Spanish would have more options for finding help or a translator.  By marrying Karine (if they go through with it), Paul will have a wife with far fewer options for getting help should she need it.  I think it is very planned on his part, just like his telling Karine about his criminal record AFTER they had sex.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, BravoAddict72 said:

I know where you're coming from. Until recently, I had very strict rules about what kinds of food could touch what other kinds of food on my plate. This would lead me to taking only certain things on my plate at a time. I've relaxed some of those rules for things my wife cooks because I know the flavors of those  things mixes well. When I'm at my parents or elsewhere, all those rules are in effect. What's truly amazing (and just one reason why I love my wife so much) is that my wife has actually learned all those rules over the years and knows which ones can be ignored  at home. No disrespect to anybody else, but my wife is the the best woman in the world! :D

• Love 6

I've always wondered what is it about Maine with all these town names? 

Maine started out as a colony of Massachusetts. There is a LOT of land and there were very few people. Most of the civilized world tends to name towns after the people who settled there. Although there are some towns named for the Native Americans who made it their home there aren't that many of them. Not only were atlases consulted for names but the Bible as well as other inspirational books. For example we have Liberty, Amity, Unity, Freedom, Harmony and when literary sources ran out we have Township __Range__ e.g. T7R10

Edited by Me from ME
Brain fart
  • Love 3