Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 7/31/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I loved Sunny's response to Jed bringing up the Newsweek covers.  "He led with Dignity" Yes, Sunny, you are right. 

Newsweek magazine does not have an obligation to be equal and balanced.  Newsweek, like other magazines, publishes opinion pieces.  As long as they are not printing LIES,  they will publish stories that they want to publish. 

Maxine Waters is amazing.   I loved how she shut down Jed's question about giving trump credit for the economy - "Absolutely not!"  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Dammit, guys! I just read that Whoopi is staying on.

NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

On 8/2/2017 at 2:35 PM, atlantaloves said:

Yeah, seriously who was she before she got on the View...I don't watch Fox. Guys, help me on this...oh yeah, let's see, teacher, chemist, sex expert, famous author, actress, fashion, hair and makeup maven, shrink, an all around good time gal to Fox executives?

I agree...and probably 15 minutes in each "career."  It would be nice to see the REAL resume` including accurate dates.

• Love 3
On 8/2/2017 at 9:32 AM, OhioSongbird said:

Was wondering what the turbans were about.  He started wearing them while he was hosting America's Got Talent

I actually don't believe his explanation.  He's just another needy celebrity who does things for attention.   Soon his devotion to his culture will wane.

• Love 6

Maxine Waters said something that made sense to me. At least it's a viable explanation for why Trump and everyone is allegedly so caught up with Russia. She said that she believes that Putin wants to get the sanctions lifted so he can drill into the Arctic. She said there were trillions of dollars that could be gained by that. That makes sense -- why there would be so much interest in getting an ally (or many allies) in the White House. Trump of course cannot get American banks to finance his projects, due to five previous bankruptcies, so he gets Russian financing. I don't know if it's true, this theory of hers, but it's the first time I've heard anyone put forth a theory about the why, rather than the what.

I'm torn about Whoopi coming back. I've been very vocal that she drives me nuts in many ways -- the bathrobes, the bellowing of "Welcome to the View" so many times that I've taken to hitting the mute key the minute she appears, the accents, the "the thing is" hijacking of any differing opinions, the talking with her mouth full, the contrary "whatever view you happen upon" closing... oh, the list goes on.

But in the pro column, this show is better with a steady cast. There isn't the nervousness, the adjusting. The one change -- Friday -- is okay because they all know Paula. We've all seen the train wreck seasons when no one has any idea who will walk out on a given day. And whatever else Trump has done, he has reenergized Whoopi. Stoned, bored, mocking Whoopi makes me want to throw a slipper at the TV. At least now, with someone to engage against, Whoopi is awake and in fighting form.

(I'd still rather have Joy as moderator.)

Happy break, y'all! (Evil Me wants to type that 30 times to do my Whoopi impression, but I will spare you.)

• Love 20
8 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

Maxine Waters said something that made sense to me. At least it's a viable explanation for why Trump and everyone is allegedly so caught up with Russia. She said that she believes that Putin wants to get the sanctions lifted so he can drill into the Arctic. She said there were trillions of dollars that could be gained by that. That makes sense -- why there would be so much interest in getting an ally (or many allies) in the White House. Trump of course cannot get American banks to finance his projects, due to five previous bankruptcies, so he gets Russian financing. I don't know if it's true, this theory of hers, but it's the first time I've heard anyone put forth a theory about the why, rather than the what.

yes, it has been speculated that the collusion had to do with oil drilling, I wish Maxine Waters had more time to delve into that topic, and the connection to the denial of climate change, on the show.  She is a good person to follow on Twitter, she is very outspoken.

• Love 9

So much respect for Maxine Waters. She was on fire. Just her face whenever Jedilyingliarwholies was speaking had me rolling. I'm glad she defended the leakers in the face of her and Paula's BS.

Sunny defending Newsweek's differing coverage was great. Speaking of faces, the look she had while Jedi was reading her lit picks was another golden one.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
Extra word in there for some reason.
  • Love 13
14 hours ago, tribeca said:

Never noticed that joy looks like Bette.  

Does Joy not like Paula?

Yes! when Paula was a regular co-host, I think Whoopie got her banned from a regular gig on there, but, I digress.  Paula and Joy  had a nice bond. Joy was really there for her, when she tried her hand at standup comedy. It was really cute. For some reason, Paula was very hostile and questioned Joy's character on Friday's show. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I'm torn about Whoopi coming back. I've been very vocal that she drives me nuts in many ways -- the bathrobes, the bellowing of "Welcome to the View" so many times that I've taken to hitting the mute key the minute she appears, the accents, the "the thing is" hijacking of any differing opinions, the talking with her mouth full, the contrary "whatever view you happen upon" closing... oh, the list goes on.

But in the pro column, this show is better with a steady cast. There isn't the nervousness, the adjusting. The one change -- Friday -- is okay because they all know Paula. We've all seen the train wreck seasons when no one has any idea who will walk out on a given day. And whatever else Trump has done, he has reenergized Whoopi. Stoned, bored, mocking Whoopi makes me want to throw a slipper at the TV. At least now, with someone to engage against, Whoopi is awake and in fighting form.

(I'd still rather have Joy as moderator.)

Happy break, y'all! (Evil Me wants to type that 30 times to do my Whoopi impression, but I will spare you.)

Rachel Maddow talked about that, in depth (so to speak), a couple of months ago.

Yes, I agree that Whoopi is better since she found a "cause", but she still has waaaaay too much to say.

I'd rather have Joy as moderator.

First day of the August Long here in Calgary & it's cool & reeeeeeally trying to rain!!!  But, it's good because we need it!!

• Love 6

I guess we are officially on hiatus. My DVR is set to record The View, The Talk, and Jeopardy, new eps only. My upcoming daytime schedule looks very weird without any new episodes showing.

I shall work on getting the DVR down to single digit percentages before things start up again.

• Love 5
Just now, ChicagoCita said:

I shall work on getting the DVR down to single digit percentages before things start up again.

That's one of my goals too. I really need to get to work on it too. So much to watch that I'll probably look like ? when I finally get done.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I stopped reading at

"

"Her contract renewal is an important one for ABC, as Goldberg has been the glue that’s kept “The View” together since creator Barbara Walters retired in 2014."

Same. What a huge load. She tore the show to absolute shreds during the Rosie and Paula seasons. She would’ve been even worse with Sunny this year than she was if there weren’t bigger fish to fry in the news these days. The huge turnover of co-hosts goes back to her, too, since she ran off both Rosie's, made Nicolle insufferable (and since she didn't have a multi-year contract to protect her like Whoopi did, she got shown the door, thank God), pushed the show to hire duds like Raven, then got Paula downgraded to Friday's because she wasn't consulted in Paula's hiring. That last one especially annoys me because I still feel that's how we ended up with a former Bannon/Breitbart employee on this show. Don't get me wrong, Paula is unbearable in her own way, but I could bear her more than Crème Brule or Jedilyingliarwholies and she had chemistry with the other co-hosts. Whoopi lucked out though, because with Jedi there, Whoopi is no longer the weakest link in the chain.

Clearly ABC hasn't forgotten about Whoopi's role in what happened the past three years either considering they went with a 1-year contract. Keeps her on her toes, so they can easily dump her if she turns into a monster again.

Btw, I forgot to say last Friday that I think Joy was low-key referencing Star. They were talking about the Countess from Andy Cohen's trash empire's divorce, and they went on about whether you should tell a friend if you saw their spouse cheating, then Joy talked about some 'friend' whose husband was gay. I thought for sure she was describing Star, lol.

• Love 9

ABC just rewarded Whoopi for her bad behavior. All the hype about loving Disney is all crap. She is crass, overvalued and a bully. So, of course ABC loves her.

The View stinks with her. I will continue to watch when Joy moderates on Fridays and a certain segment during the week for a certain guest. Otherwise Miss Whoopi can go to hell.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, rcc said:

The View stinks with her. I will continue to watch when Joy moderates on Fridays and a certain segment during the week for a certain guest. Otherwise Miss Whoopi can go to hell.

Your serenity levels will go up rcc, I promise.  I haven't watched hot topics in months (save for the odd guest appearance) and I feel fine.  I check my cable guide for any interesting guests and DVR accordingly.

If I want to witness willful ignorance, rudeness and condescension I'll call certain family members!

• Love 3

LOL @ Woopi's bathrobes & hitting the mute key the minute she appears.  And even though I like Candice, Crème Brule is a funny nickname. 

Stoned, bored, mocking Whoopi makes me want to throw a slipper at the TV

More like a brick.  That being said, I do think the show would lose viewers.  As much as she can be a tyrant, know it all, buzzkill, she bring star power and a certain amount of energy to the show.  That's not easily attained. 

Does Joy not like Paula?

I don't remember any specifics about Friday.  For the most part, they seem to have a great rapport.  Paula can talk to much at times interjecting her jokes and comments.  That can get on the nerves, so maybe that's what it was.   

• Love 1

I wonder when ABC does focus groups about the View (and I'm sure they do) do they actually have members of the focus group be View watchers?  If not and it is just random people off the street they may have no idea what an obnoxious presence Whoopi is on the show.  They might just know her from movies and have a high opinion of her.

Do they still do Q ratings?  Star having a low Q rating is the excuse Barbara Walters gave for Star's firing.  If they are using Q ratings I'm sure Whoopi's is high just from name recognition.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

I wonder when ABC does focus groups about the View (and I'm sure they do) do they actually have members of the focus group be View watchers?  If not and it is just random people off the street they may have no idea what an obnoxious presence Whoopi is on the show.  They might just know her from movies and have a high opinion of her.

Do they still do Q ratings?  Star having a low Q rating is the excuse Barbara Walters gave for Star's firing.  If they are using Q ratings I'm sure Whoopi's is high just from name recognition.

I think that might be it. She is a movie star and her look and name are very recognizable. The groups have no idea how hateful and unwatchable she is on this show.

47 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I went looking for Q scores but you have to pay for it.

The conversations would have a better flow and the panel could breathe a little easier w/o Whoopi there but I'm sure the ratings/headlines she brings to the show trumps all of her bad behaviors. 

• Love 1

I finally had a chance to see the Auntie Maxine interview and enjoy her looks of disdain whenever Jed or Paula tried to justify Trump's actions.  Great way to end the season.

• Love 7

Lol ari333.  Welcome back to the Clinton era. We called for a do-over of the past 2 decades so get out your shoulder pads and N'Sync tee shirt.  Seriously, today is the actual 20th anniversary of the View's premier so for fun they ran the very first episode. 

I was distracted by other things and only half listened, but it was sad to hear them talk about John Kennedy Jr and Princess Di. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Lol ari333.  Welcome back to the Clinton era. We called for a do-over of the past 2 decades so get out your shoulder pads and N'Sync tee shirt.  Seriously, today is the actual 20th anniversary of the View's premier so for fun they ran the very first episode. 

I was distracted by other things and only half listened, but it was sad to hear them talk about John Kennedy Jr and Princess Di. 

BOO! I forgot to adjust my dvr to record repeats, so it probably didn't record!!!! And I doubt it will be available on demand! I'm also cynical enough to think they also aired this because this year is also the 20th year of Princess Diana's murder death.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

BOO! I forgot to adjust my dvr to record repeats, so it probably didn't record!!!! And I doubt it will be available on demand! I'm also cynical enough to think they also aired this because this year is also the 20th year of Princess Diana's murder death.

It was listed as a "new" episode in the Uverse listings so my DVR picked it up. Yours might have to depending on what listings your TV provider goes by. It's on YT if you search for it too.

• Love 1

Watching this made me miss Meredith so much and how truly awful Whoopi is. I hope Joy writes a book when she finally retires and gives us the real scoop on her view of the show and all the hosts she worked with.

8 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

I liked the one on one with Meredith and Tom Selleck. She really is a skilled interviewer. And I really didn't mind Debbie M that much and wonder why Babs found her so objectionable.

Didn't like Debbie much then but after watching some of the awful hosts like Jenny and Raven she wasn't too bad at all.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, merriebreeze said:

And I really didn't mind Debbie M that much and wonder why Babs found her so objectionable.

She was okay on the premiere episode, but she increasingly got more dumb and much more coarse, week in and week out.  I remember her arguing with Joy, saying oral sex is not sex, while Joy was countering, oral sex is sex, it's not intercourse.  I couldn't watch DM after that.

Edited by sugarbaker design
Of course it's coarse!
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

but she increasingly got more dumb and much more course, week in and week out. 

Do you mean "coarse" as in, much more vulgar, or how basically Whoopi talks? Know-it-thinks-it-knows-it-All-STOOPID-Autocorrect was at it again! ?

Otherwise, I'm confuzzled.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I noticed the mention of Diana. And it was murder imo. Also she was pregnant and  we cant have THAT. The doctor who spoke after her death said that "there was no viable fetus." Well of course the fetus was not viable. SHe was dead.

Having them talk about John John and Diana was kind of heartbreaking, to be honest. 

Other than that, I loved it. I didn't know this was going to be on today and when it started i felt like i walked into a strange little time capsule.

• Love 2

I wasn't watching in the early days.  What a difference from the show today.  Only 4 co hosts, no talking all at  once, and no interrupting.  I liked the interview with only one doing the interview, as opposed with all of them there with their blue cards waiting or interrupting to ask their question from the card.  It was so refreshing!!!!!

5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

She was okay on the premiere episode, but she increasingly got more dumb and much more coarse, week in and week out.  I remember her arguing with Joy, saying oral sex is not sex, while Joy was countering, oral sex is sex, it's not intercourse.  I couldn't watch DM after that.

DM is on The Home and Family Talk show on the Hallmark channel with a male cohost. It's a clean show(no sex talk), but it's boring. 

3 hours ago, marsha said:

Having them talk about John John and Diana was kind of heartbreaking, to be honest. 

Other than that, I loved it. I didn't know this was going to be on today and when it started i felt like i walked into a strange little time capsule.

Me too . I was shocked bc I hadn't watched in a while. It was heartbreaking

• Love 1

I liked the interview with Tom Selleck, but I was greatly annoyed by BaWa. I started watching in 2007, so I wasn't around for the first years. But I found her trolling for compliments ("I'm such a bad journalist that I kept his secret!") and the way she kept interrupting Debbie extremely annoying.

And Joy looked older than she does now. Funny to think she had already been living with Steve for nearly a decade when The View started.

I wonder what BaWa thinks of Whoopi's getting up to fart mid-interview these days. Honestly, trade Whoopi for Meredith and it would be such an improvement.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

The level of professionalism of then vs now is mind boggling. 

Right? It was refreshing to see them thoroughly discuss a topic with everyone getting the chance to give their view (hence the name of the show) without a certain someone hijacking the conversation. Today's rerun made me realize that the show lost its professionalism when Meredith left.

• Love 7