Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: Lost in Las Vegas

• Start Topic

The way the cursor is placed on that computer screen, it looks for all the world like "Brandork's Paper". Now that's something a lot of parents read!

But who makes a grocery list on a computer?

• Love 1

David is listed as 110 pounds on his driver's license?  Huh?  Well, that would explain why the sweatshirt and jeans were so damn baggy on him at the end.  It looked like it was going to swallow him whole.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

The way the cursor is placed on that computer screen, it looks for all the world like "Brandork's Paper". Now that's something a lot of parents read!

But who makes a grocery list on a computer?

Or has a jokes file?

Also, OMG with this sentence in the screencap: 

When the limit of human endurance has been passed, things start going wrong: rebellion, or crime, or corruption, or evasion of work, or depression and other mental problems, or an elevated death rate, or a declining birth rate or something else, so that either the society breaks down, or its functioning becomes too inefficient and it is replaced by some more efficient form of society.

What does "a declining birth rate or something else" even mean?

ETA: Wait a minute! I just googled that sentence, and it's from the Unabomber's manuscript!?! What were the editors/production assistants trying to tell us here?

Edited by StatMom
  • Love 7
(edited)

Actually, I did have a sort of jokes file back in the early days when a friend of mine would e-mail me six times a day with funny jokes and cartoons and photos. I'd cut and paste them onto a running Word doc before you could just google that stuff when you "needed" it. I'm old.

ETA: Holy shit, StatMom, I thought you  were kidding about the Unabomber quote. You weren't kidding. Please let whoever snuck that in get a Nobel.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 2

If I lived in a colder climate and had bad heating and didn't sweat like a skeptic in a tent meeting, I would seriously want that fuzzy bed. If it was easily cleaned and came in colors other than gray.

• Love 1

I find Brandon's continuing refusal to hold a mug or cup correctly to be infuriating and I wish he would have dropped on those on his lap, savagely scolding him.  It would teach him right but him being Brandon, probably not.

How could Visual Aids not take the opportunity to screencap Ray one final  time? ;)

On David's drivers license, good call on that being an old license so it could be using the old facts.  Thing is though, that looks like a newer picture of him on it so they would have likely updated those facts too.

• Love 4

Okay so I'm now just going to imagine that Bran the Man is actually the Unibomber and, in upcoming episodes, there will be a whole plot where the Feds arrest Steve for the crimes and he has to clear his name/they eventually realize he's too stupid to build bombs. Brandon will be arrested and spend the rest of his life in prison. And we never see him again!

Haven't quite figured out all the details in the David is actually trans plotline but I'll think about it.

These stories in my head are so much better than the actual show!

• Love 6

The picture of Tori actually looks good.  Not her hair, that's still a helmet, but whatever filter was on the camera was complimentary to her features.  Her smile is great, her tan looks natural, and the angle of her face is attractive.  Aside from the hair, I could understand why a guy would be interested in Donna if this photo was their first impression.  It all goes away in person, due to the excessive tanning, makeup and weird hair+clothes choices.

Sigh. Okay, I guess I should 'fess up. I hold coffee cups Brandon style. If I'm drinking coffee, it's probably chilly, and I like the warmth on my hand. There, I said it. But I would NEVER pour a white wine into a burgundy or Bordeaux glass, and never hold a glass, whatever the shape, containing white, with a full hand like a damn fool, warming it up and shit. God, I hate Brandon.

Amazing catch on the Unabomber manifesto. That explains so much. Now I want a follow up where his shitty paper about the history of lying bites him on the ass while he's running for city council.

I never cared about what kind of glass I used for alcohol and would grab whatever was closest.  I'm sure I mixed up wine and wineglasses all the time.  I didn't even know there are designated glasses for wines!  I was always more focused on whether it tasted good than what glass it was in.  Hmmm...maybe the wrong glass is why I've never liked red?  No, I wouldn't think the taste would change that dramatically so I'm sticking with my dislike of reds being due to the taste.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Silly Angel said:

Sigh. Okay, I guess I should 'fess up. I hold coffee cups Brandon style. If I'm drinking coffee, it's probably chilly, and I like the warmth on my hand. There, I said it. But I would NEVER pour a white wine into a burgundy or Bordeaux glass, and never hold a glass, whatever the shape, containing white, with a full hand like a damn fool, warming it up and shit. God, I hate Brandon.

Amazing catch on the Unabomber manifesto. That explains so much. Now I want a follow up where his shitty paper about the history of lying bites him on the ass while he's running for city council.

Heheh.  I don't wish for you to be scolded by coffee when you hold a cup like that.  But Brandon just has a way of making everything look so infuriating that I wish he would drop a scalding hot cup of coffee in his lap.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, StatMom said:

ETA: Wait a minute! I just googled that sentence, and it's from the Unabomber's manuscript!?! What were the editors/production assistants trying to tell us here?

A wonderful bit of trolling.

• Love 4

I liked Vegas David. The same thing kind of happened to my friend. He took two girls to his hotel room and they robbed him of cash and his watch. For some reason they didn't touch his phone and his credit cards. Lucky. 

That licence though. F, 1960's, Blond, 5'7, Geez. 

Well at least Brandon actually in the next few episodes has the right to bray at Steve. I would bray if someone copied my paper without me knowing and got me in major trouble. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SoupThrower said:

Well at least Brandon actually in the next few episodes has the right to bray at Steve. I would bray if someone copied my paper without me knowing and got me in major trouble. 

Doesn't this plot bring about the return of Coriolanus Randolph, too?

• Love 1
(edited)

The narrative in this episode is so weird, that David's longtime friend and two of his ex-girlfriends can't notice his change in personality or aren't that concerned about it, but Ray - who historically hated David - does and is.

And no wonder I didn't remember anything about Mark, he and Kelly are supes boring. 

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Silly Angel said:

Sigh. Okay, I guess I should 'fess up. I hold coffee cups Brandon style. If I'm drinking coffee, it's probably chilly, and I like the warmth on my hand. There, I said it.

18 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I never cared about what kind of glass I used for alcohol and would grab whatever was closest.  I'm sure I mixed up wine and wineglasses all the time.  I didn't even know there are designated glasses for wines!  

Thank you! I was listening to the podcast feeling very very bad about my beverage-handling skills. To be fair, also, I drink flat whites and if the milk isn't over-heated the cup should be warm but not scalding (and the coffee should be the same). Plus those cups have TINY handles. You can get maybe one finger into them, which makes for no stability.

The wine glass thing... I have no excuse. I know they're different. I've had the difference explained to me but I never remember which is which. I think the ones I have are for white, which is what I drink anyway, but I couldn't be sure. AND I don't hold them by the stem either. It's not a Brandon-hold but it's closer to that than I care to admit. 

And now I'm thinking about it I'm wondering if I watched 90210 at such an impressionable time in my beverage-drinking development that somehow Brandon Walsh is responsible for my transgressions... I don't spin water bottles though. I'm not nearly co-ordinated enough. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/25/2017 at 11:07 AM, TeeVee329 said:

The narrative in this episode is so weird, that David's longtime friend and two of his ex-girlfriends can't notice his change in personality or aren't that concerned about it, but Ray - who historically hated David - does and is.

And no wonder I didn't remember anything about Mark, he and Kelly are supes boring. 

Steve is always up for a party, so I can see him not being concerned. I guess the girls were just happy that he wasn't "being a bitch about it" for a few days.

Also, I wonder if they thought about getting Steve's car thieves to play the Vegas cons? That would have been kind of awesome. David's had the right hair colors and bangs but were not quite Playmate material. 

Edited by MCMLXXVII
Another thought.
  • Love 1

I think the writers also genuinely forgot by this point that David and Claire were an item. 

re: the friendliness with Ray, to a certain degree I think this speaks again to the point that the writers frequently wrote men as sympathetic even when they did something wrong - Ray may have thrown Donna down a flight of stairs, but hey, at least he didn't make Joe go to prison, so all's forgiven! Hearty handshakes and club performance deals all around! 

That aside, though, wasn't there a story back in the day that Jamie Walters's career tanked after 90210 fans saw him as a domestic abuser? It always seemed like his random guest stints after leaving the show were the show's attempts to redeem Ray for the sake of Walters. 

• Love 2

Thank you! Yes, I hold my coffee cup the same way. To be fair, when I am sipping it, I don't like my coffee steaming hot. I have poured a cup & then finished it after taking a shower. Wine? No comment
? Are there generic glasses?

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, atlanticslide said:

That aside, though, wasn't there a story back in the day that Jamie Walters's career tanked after 90210 fans saw him as a domestic abuser? It always seemed like his random guest stints after leaving the show were the show's attempts to redeem Ray for the sake of Walters. 

Yeah, I think there were stories about fans giving him grief at his concerts about pushing Donna down the stairs.  I too assume that's why his return late last season and this return went out of their way to polish him up.

But I believe, after this, We Never Saw Him Again, right?

For what it's worth, 1) I use stemless vintage juice glasses for wine at home because I live in NYC and ain't nobody got time/space for however many sets plus champagne flutes, and 2) if you are not Brandon, I don't care one whit how you hold a beverage container and encourage you to follow your drinking bliss, but if you ARE Brandon, it's just one more manlitude affectation that makes me want to punch you flatter than a prairie acre, because it's Brandon, and literally everything he does -- including walking and consuming hydration -- is the worst. 

tl;dr: ain't you I'm judging. It's that little cock-knocker.

(I believe the logic re: red-wine glasses being broader is to give the nose a bigger sample of the wine, which is important for reds? But I don't really drink red so idk. Again, I have poured white zin and peach seltzer over ice in a pint glass; I ain't better than anyone. Ehhhhhhxcept Brandon.)

• Love 9
(edited)

I thought it was because red wine benefits from the warmth of your hand as you hold it whereas white wine should be cooler and therefore you hold that glass by the stem.

But I don't drink.

Topic? I really should refrain from commenting until I've actually listened to the podcast but I find the Visual Aids irresistible.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1
On 7/24/2017 at 9:56 AM, Stowaway said:

I forgot about that! And wasn't vampire Elvis. . . simple?

IIRC he was turned by a vampire orderly who happened to be a big fan, at the hospital where he was taken after his "fatal" stroke, but he'd already suffered brain damage. She never outright says he's Elvis. Everybody just calls him "Bubba." But it's Elvis.

As for Jamie Walters- really? Times have changed; I don't think anybody who likes Jared Leto's band has been swayed by his Various Media Shenanigans.

I'm saving the actual listening of the podcast but need to chime in on beverage handling skillz. I love Sarah's preface that basically we can all do what we want, it's just Brandon that is always wrong. Now, as for me, my wine-loving husband HATES those stemless glasses since you really shouldn't be adding hand-heat to wine (unlike brandy). There are basic wine glasses that some wineries use that can be for both red and white, basically they aren't good enough for either but are a happy medium. But the red wine needs a wider surface area- there technically are different glasses for a merlot vs. cab vs. a pinot. The bordeaux glasses are amazing and if I didn't have kids I would have spent all my money buying those.

I am completely guilty of holding the coffee (or in my case tea that's in a coffee) mug incorrectly. I cradle it because I like to warm my hands. I guess Brandon and I have that in common. However, I don't bray, don't get in people's faces, don't cock walk, and or any of the other things he does that makes us want to punch him in the face. Btw, can I suggest we still do the challenge of how Brandon should be punched in the face? He's been pretty bad lately.

• Love 2

This season is such a slog. Everyone is acting either like a high school student (Steve stealing papers again? Yawn. Isn't that well dry now, considering how many times we've revisited it?) or a someone who's not in college (everyone else) or incoherently (everyone). Plus "Battlin'" Ray Pruit is the sole voice of reason.

A last word on wine glasses. I hate every show that depicts fancy people at fancy events coddling their champagne glasses like a toasty mug of hot cocoa. Hold the stem! You look tacky and it warms the champers. Also people forking in food like farmhands. Also Brandon. I hate him too.

• Love 3

I use glass tumblers (rocks glasses?) for all alcohol since I've embraced minimalism. They're nice and stable if nothing else. I managed to break at least 5 of the dozen pack of champagne flutes I got years ago when I was planning to be a "proper" drunk.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

One thing that struck me as odd was Donna's reaction to Val when she said "our room."  Donna and David were not a couple at this point, right?  Didn't she get mad last episode when he tried to kiss her?  

You're right. Donna is actually single now for the first time in years until Cliff returns. If these were real people I'd strongly side-eye the inability to be single more than a month.

Edited by MCMLXXVII
On 7/26/2017 at 0:54 AM, MerBearStare said:

Doesn't this plot bring about the return of Coriolanus Randolph, too?

I will always remember him as one of Mercury 7 in the Right Stuff. But yes

On 7/27/2017 at 5:13 AM, Earmuffs Mom said:

One thing that struck me as odd was Donna's reaction to Val when she said "our room."  Donna and David were not a couple at this point, right?  Didn't she get mad last episode when he tried to kiss her?  

Jealously I guess? She doesn't want to b David at that moment but didn't want him to be with Val? All I can think of.

On 7/26/2017 at 1:07 AM, TeeVee329 said:

Cause it is party David? They just wanna let him party even though he has a drug usage history. I still love that normally you would call family but Kelly is useless, so they wouldn't call her.

For someone who loved David and ended up marrying him , she sure got over him quickly after their break ups . I remember after their first big break up when David cheated , she was upset for a day but Kelly of course deemed it unreasonable for her being upset that her bf for over 2 years cheated on her  so naturally , she got over it . Then after they broke up in season 8, she moved on to Noah before her bed sheets dried from David 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

, she moved on to Noah before her bed sheets dried from David 

I think there is even some line from David about how he "waited" years for Donna and now that she wasn't a virgin, she just hopped on top of Noah.  It was super gross.   

1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

I think there is even some line from David about how he "waited" years for Donna and now that she wasn't a virgin, she just hopped on top of Noah.  It was super gross.   

Davids not wrong although when he said he waited 7 years to sleep with her , that was wrong . Sleeping with other people while you wait doesn't count 

• Love 2