Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

@Churchhoney  I think JB is the main reason his daughters have the husbands they do.  Gil Bates may be as fundy but he doesn't appear to be as obnoxious.  I can't imagine dealing with him in any circumstance, particularly something that is as life-changing as marriage.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, wilsie said:

@Churchhoney  I think JB is the main reason his daughters have the husbands they do.  Gil Bates may be as fundy but he doesn't appear to be as obnoxious.  I can't imagine dealing with him in any circumstance, particularly something that is as life-changing as marriage.

Yeah, I can't imagine dealing with him either. The idea of having him and Meeechelle as in-laws, and who knows what needy relationship with their giant horde of uneducated and neglected children would send plenty of people running, I would think. That's why I think that, for the most part, those who sign as Dugg adjacents are likely to have strong ulterior motives -- mainly getting some sort of religio-employment with the help of the Duggs' TeeVee fame and social-media followings. 

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I don't think Jana has found The One.  Lets leave her alone.  Heck nothing wrong in being single and HAPPY!

I see clearly how she’d still be single under those circumstances, but I just can’t see how she is happy about those circumstances .  If she had her own apartment and her own agency, and status as an older and wiser, then that would be different.  She has always had a lot put upon her, so I’m always wondering how happy she’s been about that. Though being married isn’t the be all end all goal, it’s one of the few escape options she has.  The problem with this whole thinking is that if you’re not married, you ain’t shit.

• Love 12

I think we've also got to consider that not everybody wants to be a reality tv star, especially not a controversial reality tv star.  I don't follow the Bates terribly closely, but it seems like they've managed to hit the wholesome, traditional family sweet spot that the Duggars, even before Joshly was exposed, were always a little too creepy and controlling to hit. If I had to choose (and running screaming into the night like the roadrunner wasn't an option) I'd rather marry a Bates than be exposed to both the world's snark and the unbridled narcissism of my in-laws chez les Duggars. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I think we've also got to consider that not everybody wants to be a reality tv star, especially not a controversial reality tv star.  

Not to mention, her parents signed her up for this show when she was a minor (not that she has any more say as an adult.) 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I think we've also got to consider that not everybody wants to be a reality tv star, especially not a controversial reality tv star.  I don't follow the Bates terribly closely, but it seems like they've managed to hit the wholesome, traditional family sweet spot that the Duggars, even before Joshly was exposed, were always a little too creepy and controlling to hit. If I had to choose (and running screaming into the night like the roadrunner wasn't an option) I'd rather marry a Bates than be exposed to both the world's snark and the unbridled narcissism of my in-laws chez les Duggars. 

Beep-beep!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I'm not sure I'd call them all romantic "successes." They simply found men willing to marry, that's it.

They do allow their daughters to attend "college," such that it is, so they are able to meet men there, unless the Duggar daughters.

I just couldn't think of another way to phrase it.

• Love 1

Jana has the funds to do anything her heart desires.  Years ago laws were established for minor's and funds were put away for them.  Nobody can touch those funds.

Jana is living HER faith.  She chooses to live in her family home.  It must be pretty nice because none of those kids, of age, chose to leave the nest!

And lucky for them they aren't asked to leave until they are ready!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

Wrong. Those laws apply to professional child actors, not children appearing on reality shows. I'm sure the Duggar kids were compensated, but as far as I can tell there's nothing to stop Michelle and JB from simply taking that money and doing whatever they want with it. None of the now-adult Duggars act like they're sitting on a substantial nest egg, so I don't think they came into huge trusts upon reaching the age of majority. 

Disagree!

• Love 1

At this point who knows—maybe Jana is settling with this guy so she can finally leave the compound. The kids are all old enough where they shouldn’t need a constant handler..that and they have two fully capable parents at home that need to get off their duffs.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

There are no laws in Arkansas protecting the income of minor children who appear on reality TV shows.  

California laws protecting child actors do not apply in other states.

Many, if not most, reality shows featuring minors are filmed in states where there are no laws protecting minors on set.  No mandatory trust funds, no limit on hours of filming, no on-set education.  That's the reason producers of these shows tend to film families living in states where they don't have rules protecting kids.  

Even if they were in California, my research suggests that child actor laws do not protect children appearing on reality shows. There have actually been Law Review articles written about this loophole and possible solutions. 

• Love 24
4 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

Even if they were in California, my research suggests that child actor laws do not protect children appearing on reality shows. There have actually been Law Review articles written about this loophole and possible solutions. 

I think you're right.  Children on reality TV are not considered to be actors.  Reality tv is a relatively recent development and the law hasn't caught up.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Yup. The youngest Roloff child from Little People, Big World apparently was quite upset that he had no money from appearing on the show for much of his childhood. They filmed in Oregon.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Jana was already an adult when the family got their first weekly show. 

Actually I think they became a series with 17 Kids and Counting, when Jana & JD were 17, and the specials started when they were 11 or 12. Anyway after Josh was married his and Anna's names began to appear in the credits as "special appearances" and I don't remember seeing JD's or Jana's name in the credits after they turned 18. And I remember a photo Jessa posted right after she was married in front of TLC headquarters, prior to 19 Kids getting canceled, which I'm guessing they were there to sign an independent contract.

They were still struggling financially prior to the show becoming a series and for some time after. I'm guessing that the unmarried adults 'opted' to remain in the original TLC contract from before they were adults. That's not to say that once JB & M had solid financial ground that they didn't open trusts for their kids though. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Actually I think they became a series with 17 Kids and Counting, when Jana & JD were 17, and the specials started when they were 11 or 12. Anyway after Josh was married his and Anna's names began to appear in the credits as "special appearances" and I don't remember seeing JD's or Jana's name in the credits after they turned 18. And I remember a photo Jessa posted right after she was married in front of TLC headquarters, prior to 19 Kids getting canceled, which I'm guessing they were there to sign an independent contract.

They were still struggling financially prior to the show becoming a series and for some time after. I'm guessing that the unmarried adults 'opted' to remain in the original TLC contract from before they were adults. That's not to say that once JB & M had solid financial ground that they didn't open trusts for their kids though. 

While they may have opened trusts for their kids, we've certainly seen no evidence that any of the adult kids have a nest egg of some sort to draw on.  If there were trusts opened, the amounts must be minuscule.  I don't think anyone doubts that JB and Michelle kept the vast majority of any income from the show for themselves and it is only since their show was canceled and Counting On started that, at least some of the older girls began receiving significant reimbursement for their work.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

The first episode of 17 Kids & Counting aired in September 2008, Jana turned 18 in January 2008. 

JimBob can’t legally act on behalf of any of his adult children unless they had formally delegated that authority to him.

I think the single Kidults did defer to someone’s (poor) advice and weren’t compensated properly as a result.

I don’t think Jana was being paid directly by the producers until Counting On began. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

While they may have opened trusts for their kids, we've certainly seen no evidence that any of the adult kids have a nest egg of some sort to draw on.  If there were trusts opened, the amounts must be minuscule.  I don't think anyone doubts that JB and Michelle kept the vast majority of any income from the show for themselves and it is only since their show was canceled and Counting On started that, at least some of the older girls began receiving significant reimbursement for their work.v

Agree 100%. No way in hell Boob set up funds for his children because children having their own money equals the potential loss of control. He wants every single one of them tied to the compound for life. Even if the kiddults sign independent contracts, it wouldn't surprise me if the money was somehow turned over to Boob and put into the family pot (minus Jinger). Otherwise, why the hell is Bin still scrubbing toilets and why hasn't Jana told Boob to kick rocks and leased her own apartment? 

Josh may have had some measure of independence with his FRC gig, but that's long gone now. He's back to selling used clunkers out of a trailer and making do with whatever allowance Daddy gives him. 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jana and JD were 18 when Josh married. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

With what? Facts? 

Humm didn't John and Kate have some kind of bally ho about putting away money for the kids?  I was remembering the child actors whose parents spent their money and they had nothing. 

12 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

12 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I think you're right.  Children on reality TV are not considered to be actors.  Reality tv is a relatively recent development and the law hasn't caught up.

6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Yup. The youngest Roloff child from Little People, Big World apparently was quite upset that he had no money from appearing on the show for much of his childhood. They filmed in Oregon.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't gone after them and made them put so much away for those kids under the camera light.  What a way to grow up.

I always thought those kids did ok because they all drive fancy cars and they all had quite expensive honeymoons.  Didn't this last daughter and her husband honeymoon in Switzerland?

They also have homes but I guessed that comes from the Dugger family business of flipping homes. 

1 minute ago, Jeanne222 said:

I always thought those kids did ok because they all drive fancy cars and they all had quite expensive honeymoons.  Didn't this last daughter and her husband honeymoon in Switzerland?

The tv network pays for that. It's part of what they're selling as entertainment, so it's part of the cost of creating the show for them. And it's almost certain that the show picks the destinations that are willing to give them the best deals. Countries and cities that are travel destinations make deals like that with media all the time, seeing it as relatively cheap publicity for their local tourism, since it'll be viewed by a million-plus Americans. So the honeymoons have nothing to do with the Duggar kids and their new spouses having money or not having it. And for the most part they probably don't even involve destinations chosen by the newlyweds. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Humm didn't John and Kate have some kind of bally ho about putting away money for the kids?  I was remembering the child actors whose parents spent their money and they had nothing. 

Kate claims to have set aside money for the kids, but there was no law compelling her to do so.  That is one of the reasons TLC went ahead with the show, there were no regulations safeguarding children on reality shows.  The kids were forced to appear at all hours and under all conditions, there is no on-set educational requirement. 

In California, child performers on TV and movies are covered by 'Coogan's Law'.  Jackie Coogan was a child actor back in the early days of film and appeared in a lot of blockbusters.  He is probably mostly remembered these days for playing Uncle Fester on the Addams Family TV show in the 60's.  Anyway, his parents received every dime he ever made as a kid and, when he reached adulthood and wanted to tap into the millions he had made; he discovered he was broke and deeply in debt, they'd squandered every dime.  A law was passed requiring a percentage of the money earned by child actors in California to be set aside until they were adults.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, floridamom said:

No on set 'education requirement"????That didn't bother the Duggars one bit.

No, it's too bad they weren't required to have actual licensed teachers on set and follow the appropriate curriculum for their ages.  That would've been a real benefit for those kids.

• Love 22

Pennsylvania passed a law requiring a small percentage of the proceeds from the show be put in trust for the kids.  The law was passed covering Pennyslvania only because of the Gosselin show.  Many, many people were involved in getting that passed.  That's the ONLY reason Kate put aside what she did.  

Arkansas has no such provision.  There is nothing really requiring participants on reality shows to be paid.  Many people are shown without monetary compensation and that is legal.  TLC frequently signs a contract with a family production company and pays that company.  Then it is up to the family members to work out who gets how much and participates how often.  

• Love 15

https://www.sagaftra.org/content/coogan-law

The Child Actor's Bill doesn't protect reality TV children and it only requires that the employer put away 15% for the child actor. So even if the law applied to reality TV kids, @15%, the Duggar kids would have around $30,000 each after about 10 years of filming 200 shows.  

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

TLC frequently signs a contract with a family production company and pays that company.  Then it is up to the family members to work out who gets how much and participates how often

JBoob has every angle covered. I'm sure he has a corporation set up that TLC pays. So, in the end, the master decides when and how much each child gets. He wont give up that control, ever.

TLC cancelled JBoob's show, but he is still in control of Counting On, and the family !

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Josiah seemed like such an idiot before Joe's wedding. Here he is, a grown man himself, telling his brother he's going to miss him in the boys' room. JD was sitting behind listening in. He's 27 for heaven's sake, a grown man nearing 30 years old.....sleeping in a childrens' bunk house.  Jim Bob and Michelle are in denial that their sons are actually MEN and need to live like MEN and be treated like MEN. How can their fans 'worship' those two who have truly held back all of their children from the possibilities in life?....that's nothing to emulate IMO.

I have the bad feeling that a surprising number of people would love to have full control over a bunch of adult children like this. If you're fearful of everything, and a control freak, I expect you can easily convince yourself that their entrapment is the best thing that could have happened to the Duggarlings. Nothing bad can happen to you if you just do everything that Daddy says! It's a happy fantasy for people like this, I think. And a lot of their preachers incite it with their "we're all being persecuted" and "everything worldly is evil, including high school English and science classes," and so on. 

• Love 7

In addition to the children not getting paid as minors, I'd be curious how the adult payouts are made.  The Kardashians' latest contract is for $150 million, but the breakout amongst the family is not determined by E.  I would assume the Duggars have a similar situation.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, luvbadtv said:

In addition to the children not getting paid as minors, I'd be curious how the adult payouts are made.  The Kardashians' latest contract is for $150 million, but the breakout amongst the family is not determined by E.  I would assume the Duggars have a similar situation.

Good gravy whoever would be watching their fat butts.  That's amazing.  $150 million.   Falls over.......

• Love 2

Damn.  And Mr. Xword & I raised our daughter to be an independent free thinker.  Just kicking myself.  I could still have control over a 30-something, wow!

Honestly, WHY would any parent think that's a good idea, to have their spawn in their back pocket, forever?  I can't even.  I love it that the Mr. & I raised a responsible adult.  Do Boob and Ma Kettle think they're never going to die?  Their family is FUBAR.  

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Do Boob and Ma Kettle think they're never going to die?

It's funny, I've seen this attitude with fervently religious people around me, including my own father.  He says he is religious, judges everyone else, but thinks he will live forever.  He seems to be really afraid of his own mortality and refuses to even talk about it (He's in his mid 80s).  It makes me wonder why would someone be so afraid if they truly have such  faith.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Damn.  And Mr. Xword & I raised our daughter to be an independent free thinker.  Just kicking myself.  I could still have control over a 30-something, wow!

Honestly, WHY would any parent think that's a good idea, to have their spawn in their back pocket, forever?  I can't even.  I love it that the Mr. & I raised a responsible adult.  Do Boob and Ma Kettle think they're never going to die?  Their family is FUBAR.  

I just don't get these people. The biggest joy I get out of parenting is watching my daughter become her own person. I love watching her assert herself and develop her own attitudes and opinions. I love her strength and her spirit. I love watching the interactions she has with others. I love telling her she can be anything she wants to be and knowing that she believes it. I believe my role as her parent is to nurture her, to teach her to treat others with compassion and tolerance and love, and to give her the skills she needs to operate in the world. I believe my role as a Christian, as hard as it is, is to let go of her when it's time and let her go out into the world and change it for the better. 

I think if Jesus could see the Duggar kids, dependent and needy with no self-confidence and no shreds of personality, and know that Jim Bob and Michelle purposefully raised them to be like that in his name, he would weep. I know I do.

• Love 20
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:13 AM, Janarella said:

Based on the Bonus Scene where Jana describes her ideal guy, I would be surprised if she took an interest in Caleb. She described her ideal guy as someone older with some life experience. Caleb doesn't strike me as an older, established guy with any life experience other than brown-nosing the Duggars. And IMHO, Jana seems the most savvy about spotting poor-intentioned Duggar wannabe guys given that when Jessa described Duggar wannabe guys as "weirdos," Jana piped in more forcefully, saying, "no, they're creeps."

The guy that Jana ultimately chooses will be a sanctimonious right-wing Christian fundamentalist (because they all are!), but other than that, I think she has decent instincts about people. It's the quiet ones who hang back and observe people, like I suspect Jana does, who usually know what's up. 

I agree with the bolded, so if Jana is courting this guy, I have a good feeling about it.  Caleb may not be "older", but he's surely more experienced if he goes places without a chaperone, and interacts with people without his father's permission.  I just don't find it as odd as others that he's suddenly around a lot.  If their families have been friends for years, and he's a famewhore, wouldn't he have shown up before?  It makes sense that he's present because he's interested in "someone", which is most likely Jana.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, pinesol said:

At this point who knows—maybe Jana is settling with this guy so she can finally leave the compound. The kids are all old enough where they shouldn’t need a constant handler..that and they have two fully capable parents at home that need to get off their duffs.

Fixed that for you! ;-)

Anyway, if this family were not so suspicious of healthy familial relationships, all the while hiding and accepting of rampant incest, Jana and J.D. could move out and live together.  I've known adult brothers/sisters who've lived together, and not one person judgmental of it being "weird" or "unnatural".  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Remember, that number is leaked to the media by good ole Kris. Believe what you want.

Exactly. Not to get too far OT, but their ratings have been in the toilet for years. I buy they just signed for $150 mil just as much as I buy any of their gelatinous asses are real. 

21 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

.  I've known adult brothers/sisters who've lived together, and not one person judgmental of it being "weird" or "unnatural".  

We have family friends with that arrangement. Brother and sister, both retired, divorced and sharing the house left to them by their parents. Nobody considers it odd in our circles either. It's too bad Jana and JD couldn't do something similar.

• Love 9

I share a house with my brother. He has the rooms on one side, I have the rooms on the other, and we share the kitchen & laundry. We do this because financially it makes sense, and since I've known him his whole life, I didn't have to get used to any weird roommate quirks, like I would have if I'd shared the house with a stranger. We are not some creepy patriarchal family with weird incestuous undertones though. We're just siblings who happen to get along as friends.

So yeah, the older kids could quite easily move into a house together, where they all get their own bedroom and live independently of their parents (provided the boys don't automatically expect Jana to do all the cooking and cleaning just because she's a girl).

• Love 14
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Trust me. You've never seen any people as upset as control freaks who accidentally create an independent free thinker. If I had nickel for every time I was threatened with being sent to the local hospital for the mentally ill or turned over to the police I'd be quite well fixed. 

Unfortunately, this sort of person exists in much greater numbers than we'd wish or expect, I imagine. 

• Love 13
On 10/28/2017 at 1:06 PM, Mya said:

Any idea how old this guy is? Not at all how I would picture someone with Jana.  That is if the rumour is true.

Caleb is 22, turning 23 soon

On 10/28/2017 at 0:40 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Yeah something about his looks really bothers me. I don't want to be mean, but Jana is way out of his league... but that alone wouldn't bug me too much. It's some other intangible quality that's not sitting right. He seems fake, or shady? All just based on those photos and captions, of course.* If I were Jana I wouldn't be too crazy about a guy who was buddy-buddy with Josh, of all people. Gross. 

*Don't @ me. I know. 

While yes, he's definitely out of her league, you're damn right about something else that isn't clear at first sight. I got the fake vibes exaclty like you did. After looking more into him and his social media, he seems like an individual that's trying way too hard to... well I don't know what his objective/purpose/goal is with being around the family so much. Not too long after his "15 min. of fame," he made a 2nd Instagram AND fb account with mostly all duggar related material. He has himself in both these accounts as "Public Figure" status. Seriously?! The vibes that I get from his activity is that he's immature about all the attention he's been getting because of the rumors that broke out and is enjoying all the publicity.

Jana has waited for so long and has turned down so many requests for a relationship. While I'm not omniscient, I highly doubt there is something going on with Jana. I can see Jana's ideal type being quiet and ultra conservative like she is, humble, mature, and with a real job. 

• Love 11