Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can't even hate-watch this show anymore. Not for many seasons. I was interested (due to a commercial) in Nathan being instrumental in Jack's demise. Well. I guess Elizabeth is over her red-serge fetish now! Although, I do imagine her asking for a copy of the photo of Bill on his horse for, uh, personal use.

I think Fiona and Lucas are a better match, but I don't even want Elizabeth saddled with the insufferable Allie! Actually, this show is so "modern" she could easily just be the Widda School Marm for the rest of her life and Jack Jr. (and his life-partner) could take care of her in her old age.  Done.

🤢🤮

• Love 2
On 4/11/2021 at 10:47 PM, brighteyes said:

Unfortunately from the promo I think Lucas is going question their relationship and step back once he finds out what exactly she said to Nathan after he declared his love. And then it'll be up to Elizabeth to make a move. Meanwhile Nathan will try to get in with her but I really don't think she'll go for it after this reveal. Why would you want to be with the guy who essentially is the reason why her husband is no longer with her? It's weird enough that he's continuing to pursue her after revealing that.

As much as I wish this were true, I'm not sure we can hang our hat on it.  This is the same show that had Abigail seemingly begin to have a relationship with Gowan who was involved in the deaths of a lot of people including her husband and son.  I don't think it ever fully materialized but I believe that was because of Lori Laughlin's real life stuff and not because the show wasn't headed in that direction.  I most definitely believe Elizabeth should be with Lucas but, honestly, I just don't see that happening.  Elizabeth is probably going to be hurt that Nathan didn't tell her but before the end of the next episode I'm sure she'll be telling him it wasn't his fault and he shouldn't carry that guilt and it'll be swept under the rug.  I feel like all the signs point to her picking Nathan.  It's the classic fake out.  They want us to think it'll be Lucas but it'll be Nathan.  She has yet to tell Nathan that she doesn't have feelings for him.  If she really wanted him and Allie to move on from her, she'd tell them both that she's not interested in Nathan that way and that she doesn't have those kinds of feelings for him but she hasn't.  I'm sure the final episode of the season will be her finally really evaluating her feelings and realizing that the reason she could never say those things to Nathan is because she loves him too, she was just too scared to really go there with another man.  Lucas will be left in the lurch and I'll be an unhappy camper.  I just don't find any real romance in Nathan and Elizabeth.  It's a huge snooze fest mixed with anger at the petulant man-child and woman who can't see she should want better for herself.

Edited by Peper81
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Although, I do imagine her asking for a copy of the photo of Bill on his horse for, uh, personal use.

🤢🤮

Methinks she's taking care her own business by straddling Sargent and galloping at breakneck speed all over Hope Valley every episode...

Riding side saddle, doesn't ring her school bell...if you get my drift....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, treeofdreams said:

I wonder if, with all the modern anachronisms in the show, perhaps Hallmark is trying to make the series more accessible to people - especially younger people.

You mean they should pander for viewership for the risk of historical accuracy?  Eh - it's not like it's the History channel (which can still get things wrong)

I'm interested in where they're going with Joseph and his quest to be the pastor.  Because if there's anyone who needs couples counseling it's Jesse & Clara.  I get why she's mad - truly I do - and don't blame her, but she's acting like some teenage girl who caught her boyfriend making out with the head cheerleader.  You're married.  Crap happens.  Fights happen.  If this is how she's going to handle every marital issue by kicking Jesse out to sleep on his friend's couch rather than communicate like adults then I don't see them lasting.  But of course - they will because I don't see Hallmark going the divorce route with any couple

And if I had the urge to slap the smirk off of Allie's face in the past, I downright wanted to backhand her in this episode - especially after her little foot-stomping tirade when she ripped up the invitation for Elizabeth to join Nathan for dinner.  And doubly wanted to smack Elizabeth for calling after her and trying to appease her.  She's a little brat and Nathan should've given her some sort of punishment for what she pulled

As for couples with zero chemistry - looks like Ned & Florence are off to a great start with her 'mommying' him.

I think I'm the only one here who thought there was more spark between Rachel and Christopher (and not one but 2 kisses!) than all the couples combined.  Heck, even Rosemary and Lee give each other closed mouth pecks and they're married for Pete's sake.  Let's see if they decide to explore Molly and Bill some more.  I do like her, but the character of Bill just seems to be 'there' and not adding anything to the story

Edited by ctlady
  • Love 2

Something has bugged me about Jesse and Clara from the very beginning. They look like brother and sister.  Look at their mouths, especially how their lips are formed. They both have a thick, protruding lower lip and a thinner upper lip.  To me, their mouths look pretty much alike. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Peper81 said:

She has yet to tell Nathan that she doesn't have feelings for him.  If she really wanted him and Allie to move on from her, she'd tell them both that she's not interested in Nathan that way and that she doesn't have those kinds of feelings for him but she hasn't.  I'm sure the final episode of the season will be her finally really evaluating her feelings and realizing that the reason she could never say those things to Nathan is because she loves him too, she was just too scared to really go there with another man. 

Yep - I posted essentially the same thing in the episode where Nathan told Elizabeth he loves her. She very clearly didn't tell him she doesn't love him/can't ever seeing herself love him. Instead, she says she can't go through that again - or words to that effect. Basically, it's his *career* that makes her afraid to have a relationship with him. We'll have to see if she overcomes that fear, and how realistic it'll come across to the audience.

I know many on this forum expect Elizabeth will finally, at last, definitively choose Nathan over Lucas...but maybe the show *wants* us to think that, and will pull a twist, with Elizabeth actually choosing Lucas.  If this happens, won't be all chortle about being led down the wrong path...

8 hours ago, ctlady said:

I don't see Hallmark going the divorce route with any couple

Yeah, no way - no how will we see an actual divorce on this show.

Technically, Bill is divorced, but we didn't witness it, and he started out the show already divorced. I thought it was interesting that his IRL wife (are they still married?) portrayed his ex-wife. Anyone here old as dirt like me and recall watching both Jack Wagner & Kristina as Frisco & Felicia on General Hospital?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, ctlady said:

And if I had the urge to slap the smirk off of Allie's face in the past, I downright wanted to backhand her in this episode - especially after her little foot-stomping tirade when she ripped up the invitation for Elizabeth to join Nathan for dinner.  And doubly wanted to smack Elizabeth for calling after her and trying to appease her.  She's a little brat and Nathan should've given her some sort of punishment for what she pulled

I’d be right in line behind you to let Allie have it! I could not believe she had the nerve to pull that little stunt at the adoption ceremony in the first place. She has to be the most tone-deaf little brat ever if she didn’t pick up on exactly how awkward that was. Or maybe she just doesn’t care and thinks she can force the adults to do what she wants just because she wants it. I don’t think I’ve seen such a brazen manipulator since Delia on Ryan’s Hope! And then she throws a tantrum over the dinner invitation. Just wow. If this show was faithful to the time period, Elizabeth probably would have given her the ruler over the knuckles for that instead of pleading with her to come back and talk. I would never have dared talk to a teacher that way 50 years later, and respecting your elders was an even bigger deal in the show’s time period.

And don’t even get me started on Nathan. The show wants us to believe he’s such a great father figure for Allie, but he apparently hasn’t taught her how to behave (much less quit whining all the time). And it’s downright creepy that he would a) fall for Elizabeth when they barely know each other, b) wait so long to tell her he had something to do with Jack’s death, c) allow himself to fall for Elizabeth knowing how horrified she’d be when she finally found that out, and d) go tell Lucas he wasn’t giving up. I swear I’m just hate-watching at this point.

norcalgal - I remember Frisco and Felicia! GH back in the good old days...

• Love 7
8 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Anyone here old as dirt like me and recall watching both Jack Wagner & Kristina as Frisco & Felicia on General Hospital?

I'll go a bit further and say I'm even older that I remember watching Luke & Scottie get married before running off to Beechers Corners for their 'summer on the run"!

9 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

And don’t even get me started on Nathan. The show wants us to believe he’s such a great father figure for Allie, but he apparently hasn’t taught her how to behave (much less quit whining all the time). And it’s downright creepy that he would a) fall for Elizabeth when they barely know each other, b) wait so long to tell her he had something to do with Jack’s death, c) allow himself to fall for Elizabeth knowing how horrified she’d be when she finally found that out, and d) go tell Lucas he wasn’t giving up. I swear I’m just hate-watching at this point.

I will say this: I would love it if Hallmark decided to go full villain with Nathan.  How amazing would it be if they did this in true cheesefest soap opera/telenovela fashion, where he becomes the scheming, shady figure whose two main goals in life are power and the leading lady.  WCTH hasn't had a true villain since, like, Season One, with that guy who tried to frame Cat Montgomery for burning down the church (I think it was the church) and almost shot Elizabeth for finding it out.  Gowan was kind of a villain but he's been redeemed, and Lucas was shady for all of five minutes before it was revealed to just be a misunderstanding.  Because of course it was.

I actually think Kevin McGarry could pull off villain as well.  He's very tall and imposing and he never smiles on this show anyway so it's not a big leap for him to turn full on baddie.  It's never going to happen because this is Hallmark where the most villainous thing that ever happens is someone tries to take over someone else's family business/pumpkin patch/Christmas tree farm/etc., but damn would it be fun.

• Love 4

It is sad that a show that I once loved has devolved into the mess that WCTH is now.  As a viewer I should not want to shake Elizabeth and tell her how utterly stupid she is acting.  I should not hate that brat Allie(because she should not be written as a brat in the first place).  I should be able to enjoy the romance and romantic gestures of Lucas without the sinking feeling this show is going to throw mud all over him or just have the nitwit dump him for a sullen, immature jerk for no reason whatsoever.

Btw, I have officially quit watching as I cannot stand what I am seeing.

As hokey and saccharine as some find Hallmark productions, I do love a happy ending and all the movies have that.  In an ugly, selfish, criminal world it is a relief to watch shows that truly make me feel good.  What has happened to this show?  Lately I just feel hateful, resentful, annoyed and bored.  I also feel the actors misled us with all the hype about this season.  It is a dreadful story so far.  Do the writers just not care anymore?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

I will say this: I would love it if Hallmark decided to go full villain with Nathan.  How amazing would it be if they did this in true cheesefest soap opera/telenovela fashion, where he becomes the scheming, shady figure whose two main goals in life are power and the leading lady.  WCTH hasn't had a true villain since, like, Season One, with that guy who tried to frame Cat Montgomery for burning down the church (I think it was the church) and almost shot Elizabeth for finding it out.  Gowan was kind of a villain but he's been redeemed, and Lucas was shady for all of five minutes before it was revealed to just be a misunderstanding.  Because of course it was.

I actually think Kevin McGarry could pull off villain as well.  He's very tall and imposing and he never smiles on this show anyway so it's not a big leap for him to turn full on baddie.  It's never going to happen because this is Hallmark where the most villainous thing that ever happens is someone tries to take over someone else's family business/pumpkin patch/Christmas tree farm/etc., but damn would it be fun.

I love this idea! It would make a hell of a lot more narrative sense than having Elizabeth turn into a complete moron who decides she’s in lurrrrrrv with Nathan, who’s been basically a complete jerk to her, just because of the red uniform and a bratty niece who apparently needs more of a good influence.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Something has bugged me about Jesse and Clara from the very beginning. They look like brother and sister.  Look at their mouths, especially how their lips are formed. They both have a thick, protruding lower lip and a thinner upper lip.  To me, their mouths look pretty much alike. 

Glad to know I’m not the only one who noticed that!

What’s currently bugging me is that Jesse seems to be becoming a bigger and bigger jerk. His guilt-tripping comment to the guy who told him to go home to his wife was over the top.

• Love 3

Finally watched the whole episode and lord, I was not expecting the rage at Nathan’s entitlement and chest-beating. Ugh, the posturing with Lucas! I kind of love that Lucas isn’t playing along. I absolutely will quit this show if Nathan is the goal. 

And that exchange about Allie. “She’s afraid to talk to you alone?” 1. Um, what? 2. Good! Elizabeth needs to take full advantage of that and walk the hell away from both of them. Little brat.

I could not possibly care less about Rachel or Christopher, who continues to look like he’s one hit away from a cameo on Trainspotting. What is with the pasty, perpetually sweaty look? 

Dear god, give Faith and Carson something to do other than clutch their pearls over Baltimore. 

• Love 7

I wonder what unbelievable plot twists the show has in store for this Sunday.

I just wanted some sweet romance and good friendships.  This has been a season of frustration and unrealized pleasure.

Reading what may happen is so much better than the pain of watching.

• Love 3

Upon careful consideration of the romantic triangle, I just don't like Elizabeth.  She seems to think everything is about her and she is boring.

I like Lucas but he could use a backbone.  He does all the heavy lifting in this relationship for a woman who acts like a twit.  He needs to back away.  I also like Nathan but his communication skills need serious work.  I was surprised at how well he did in explaining himself to E but in general, dude does not talk except to issue proclamations of love.

But, BUT, at the minimum,  both men are engaged in actions to get someone they want. They are doing something.  E simply stares at her bellybutton and is frozen in place, for far too long. She is not worth it.  Move on, dudes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 4/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, ctlady said:

The same can be said on the flip side - Why does Nathan always just 'happen' to be riding by when Elizabeth and Lucas are talking in the middle of the street?

Why on earth did Lucas even suggest going to talk to Nathan about Jack?  that was overstepping imo   Lucas is even up in Henry's business.   control freak or God complex?  

1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

Nathan saying that he came to Hope Valley to "protect" Elizabeth, "to keep her safe" had me barfing

I kept trying to think of how they expected me to take that when it was so, so, so, so, so creepy and gross.  Apparently Rosemary thinks it is noble or honoroable or whatever it was she said... but it is just so ewwwww and overstepping and paternalistic and gross to me.   

• Love 8

If some random guy who treated me terribly for three years suddenly admitted to being the reason my husband and soulmate was dead, then had the nerve to tell me he felt he had to keep me safe and that he's loved me all along, I wouldn't say another word to him, I'd run straight to the police.  Oh wait...

This has gotten so bad.  Not even good-bad, the way that Hallmark shows and movies often are, where they're a guilty pleasure, a soft, fluffy escape from the real world.  This is actually getting offensive.  "Paternalistic" is right.

• Love 10

Well, land developers have appeared in the area. Are they EEEEE-VILLLLLL, with nefarious schemes afoot to permanently damage the Hope Valley way of life ...

... thereby giving the citizens no choice but to blow up the town ....

... and leave the rubble behind, singing Onward Christian Soldiers as they head to their new homes?

• LOL 6
53 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

They honestly treat Elizabeth like an object. Like a prize. It's disgusting. It's almost as if what she wants doesn't matter. 

Right.  Lucas telling Allie that he and Nathan will work it out between the two of them confirms that Elizabeth doesn't play a part in the decision.  How are Lucas and Nathan going to work it out?  A duel at sunrise?  A high stakes poker game?  A wrestling match? A horse race?  A spelling bee? Blindfold Elizabeth and have her hold one of their hands (never mind, that's already been done).

Edited by ShelleySue
Typo
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

I agree with so many of the above posts I can't quote them all.

I just can't see Elizabeth winding up with Nathan after this.

But I have a feeling that is just what they will do.  Lucas has been kind, loving and thoughtful with Elizabeth from the beginning.  Nathan has been a huffy, snarly, shadow with secrets and a bratty niece.  We were given sweet romance with Lucas but all that will be unimportant when Elizabeth does a neck-breaking 180 and just can't live without her red serge complete with annoying child.  Oh the thrills that are sure to come.

With each episode and what I read here, I think my decision to stop the pain of watching was the right one.  If I am wrong, I will be pretty happy but all I see is more nonsense that makes Elizabeth look like a silly fool and Nathan a man most women would avoid like the plague.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

If some random guy who treated me terribly for three years suddenly admitted to being the reason my husband and soulmate was dead, then had the nerve to tell me he felt he had to keep me safe and that he's loved me all along, I wouldn't say another word to him, I'd run straight to the police.  Oh wait...

This has gotten so bad.  Not even good-bad, the way that Hallmark shows and movies often are, where they're a guilty pleasure, a soft, fluffy escape from the real world.  This is actually getting offensive.  "Paternalistic" is right.

Yes.  It's just creepy that she's known Nathan for 3 years and this has just come out now.  It makes no sense that when he was previously asked in his first season if he knew Jack, he didn't explain his position then.  It's a total writing retcon.  Apparently the writers think the only way Elizabeth will accept a new suitor, is if it was in someway tied to Jack.

Lucas has been nothing but respectful and helpful to Elizabeth.  He's tried to sweep her off her feet.  But then there's pouty Nathan and his pouty niece in the corner...waiting for Liz to breakup with Lucas because Nathan and Ally are such a catch!  Whatever.  I think where the show erred big time was involving Ally in the triangle.  I think her trying to arrange a date was fine, but it should've ended when Liz said no.  This nonsense of only inviting her to the adoption, trying to return Lucas' gift, and still trying to set up Liz and Nathan needs to stop.  Nathan needs to tell her to stop, its ridiculous.  I get they needed a part for the girl to play, and with school out that's harder, but it's just manipulative to put the pre teen in the position of matchmaker.

I'm also seeing alot of speculation that Abigail (Lori) will be returning.  She was serving time in jail when the season wrapped up and I doubt she could get a visa to Canada that quickly anyway.  Hallmark prides it self on being squeaky clean and they reshot the remainder of the 6th season to write Abigail out after it was all shot and airing, that must've cost quite a bit.  I don't see them welcoming Lori back after 3 years at that point.

Edited by scenicbyway
  • Love 6

Nathan is the opposite of a catch. He is a throw.

Also, lately I've been thinking that Elizabeth's babysitter Laura, and Olivia Benson's (L&O SVU) babysitter Lucy must be related in some way. They truly are only there to Babysit(tm)

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I'm also seeing alot of speculation that Abigail (Lori) will be returning.  She was serving time in jail when the season wrapped up and I doubt she could get a visa to Canada that quickly anyway.  Hallmark prides it self on being squeaky clean and they reshot the remainder of the 6th season to write Abigail out after it was all shot and airing, that must've cost quite a bit.  I don't see them welcoming Lori back after 3 years at that point.

I had a sense of foreboding (in the negative way) with the Abigail talk.

This makes the 2nd?  3rd? episode where Abigail was mentioned, when there wasn't even a hint of a whisper of her name right after Abigail "left to take care of her mom".

The only way I could see the character returning is a recast. 

2 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Nathan is the opposite of a catch. He is a throw.

I legit LOL'd at this. I've never encountered this particular snark. It's quite clever. Hats off to you @allonsyalice!

WCTH Forum - please tell me the next episode is the last of the season (maybe the last episode ever...?)

7 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

They honestly treat Elizabeth like an object. Like a prize. It's disgusting. It's almost as if what she wants doesn't matter. 

But E seems to have no idea what she wants and all indications are that she will continue to float on the attention of two men without doing a thing about it.  Even if we just look at it ethically, without any emotions, she ought to use firm language and tell one guy that she is taken.  But she hasn't. 

Everyone can say that Nathan is not the good choice, but when he told her he loved her, did she stop him cold?  Did she tell him her heart was with another?  Nope, she told him she could not handle another loss, which to his ears, is that he might still have a chance.  

When Lucas asked her what she responded to Nathan's protestations of love, E said "nothing".  Time for Lucas to back away.  This woman is not the catch either of these guys think.

And Hallmark, channel king of the womanly romance, has put their leading lady in a really poor light.  She is never home, ignoring her child, always bouncing between two men, totally indecisive, arguing with her bff neighbor, and completely self-involved.  And the writers have let this go on so long that it is almost indecent.  That 'take the hands of your true love' was so hokey I almost gagged.  Do they need to hire more writers? I could do better than this.

• Love 9

Why do they keep floating the idea of Fiona and Hickam?  (I know it's probably because he is Erin's real-life boyfriend and Erin is a producer so she has some influence.)  But it's such a waste of Fiona. 

I agree that Elizabeth is not very likeable this season.  That tends to be the case when shows insist on going the love triangle route.  The woman in the middle always ends up looking fickle and self-absorbed.  But all I can think watching this play out is that both guys could do better. 

@norcalgal - I believe there are 3 episodes left this season.  I feel like a renewal is inevitable.  The ratings have been good, and I don't see Hallmark wanting to face the wrath of the Hearties right now. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Why do they keep floating the idea of Fiona and Hickam?  (I know it's probably because he is Erin's real-life boyfriend and Erin is a producer so she has some influence.)  But it's such a waste of Fiona. 

I agree that Elizabeth is not very likeable this season.  That tends to be the case when shows insist on going the love triangle route.  The woman in the middle always ends up looking fickle and self-absorbed.  But all I can think watching this play out is that both guys could do better.

Fiona is too dynamic for a guy like Hickam. I like him fine, but he's just not the guy for her. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if Lucas got tired of playing games with Elizabeth and Nathan and gave Fiona a good hard look. I think those two would make a great couple.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I believe there are 3 episodes left this season.  I feel like a renewal is inevitable.  The ratings have been good, and I don't see Hallmark wanting to face the wrath of the Hearties right now. 

Yeah I've said before, this show will end when Erin Krakow says it ends.  She'll be 50 and with her fourth mountie by then.  

• LOL 7

I think it's pretty clear that Lucas is the adult in the room.  He sees what's happening when Liz looks or interacts with Nathan.  It must've been so frustrating for him to hear Liz say that she said nothing to Nathan about his repeated love declaration.  I think we are headed for Lucas breaking up with Liz and sending her off to Nathan with his blessing. Ugh

Nathan still does nothing. "I came to protect Jack's wife and child." Really? He was suspended, why or how did he even know Jack died? Why did it take 3 years to say something? Because the writers knew this triangle wasn't working and needed to give Nathan an advantage, enter Nathan wanting to help Jack. Whatever.

I don't know why they are trying to make Fiona and Hickham a thing. The guy has been around for years, Fi's really supposed to interested in him?

Have the writers given up on Molly and Bill?  Perhaps, since Bill doesn't seem at all interested.

I think the conflict with Liz and Rosemary is supposed to show us how out of sorts Elizabeth is over Nathan keeping his secret.  They'll only make up when she decides to be with Nathan.  Which again, why? He done nothing other than say he loves her for no apparent reason.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

I think it's pretty clear that Lucas is the adult in the room.  He sees what's happening when Liz looks or interacts with Nathan.  It must've been so frustrating for him to hear Liz say that she said nothing to Nathan about his repeated love declaration.  I think we are headed for Lucas breaking up with Liz and sending her off to Nathan with his blessing.

This!  I came away with the same thinking as well watching Lucas's reactions in the last episode...

If show pivots to Lucas and Fiona, I wouldn't mind, as I think they would suit each other (esp. temperament) pretty well. And I'd consider that a "win" for Lucas since I feel Fiona is a better character (more dynamic & spirited) than Elizabeth. 

• Love 7

Here's my preference...

Elizabeth decides that she has been doing just fine on her own and that her heart isn't really with either Lucas or Nathan, so she chooses neither of them.

Lucas, fed up with having been led on for so long, turns his attentions elsewhere.  Maybe Fiona, or maybe someone new who comes to town (someone a bit spicier than Elizabeth).

Nathan is transferred elsewhere, taking Allie with him.  A new Mountie comes in, perhaps someone who is already married so we don't have a repeat of "Elizabeth and the Mountie".

The show has gotten tired, and could use some major changing up.

Any other ideas?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

Here's my preference...

Elizabeth decides that she has been doing just fine on her own and that her heart isn't really with either Lucas or Nathan, so she chooses neither of them.

Lucas, fed up with having been led on for so long, turns his attentions elsewhere.  Maybe Fiona, or maybe someone new who comes to town (someone a bit spicier than Elizabeth).

Nathan is transferred elsewhere, taking Allie with him.  A new Mountie comes in, perhaps someone who is already married so we don't have a repeat of "Elizabeth and the Mountie".

The show has gotten tired, and could use some major changing up.

Any other ideas?

I'd like to see Elizabeth and Lucas together, they are sweet together.

I 'd like to see Liz give Nathan a piece of her mind.  How dare he keep that secret, how could he possibly love her when they've never been alone for more than a few minutes and most of their conversations revolve around Ally.  How dare he constantly lecture her and then go sulk in the corner.  He's never pursued her, just waited for her to end up with him.   I'd like her to tell him that his connection (however distant) to Jack's death doesn't play a role in her decision and in fact, she doesn't love him (or really even like him as a friend).  Nathan and Ally then leave Hope Valley.

I think that's another failure of the "triangle..."  Nathan and Elizabeth are not friends.  She is his niece's schoolteacher and he occasionally lectures her.  Lucas and Elizabeth are actual friends with common interests.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Lucas, fed up with having been led on for so long, turns his attentions elsewhere. 

This is where I think it will go. 

Nathan has said he loves Elizabeth, Lucas has not. Elizabeth is noncommittal and Lucas will tire of that but she cannot see herself being with Nathan because of the past. 

2 minutes ago, bluemm said:

This is where I think it will go. 

Nathan has said he loves Elizabeth, Lucas has not. Elizabeth is noncommittal and Lucas will tire of that but she cannot see herself being with Nathan because of the past. 

Alas, those Hearties who are invested in the triangle (and have been these past few years) will have a conniption if the lame triangle peters out with Elizabeth unpartnered...(just my speculation since I don't read about WCTH on any other social media except this forum)

I know I have posted this before, but I do not see any signs that Elizabeth has real feelings for either man.  If she did, her choice would be clear.

Honestly, I don't see any chemistry with either of them.  Move on!

• Love 2

Here's a thought...

Elizabeth has an awakening and comes to the realization she doesn't need a husband, and doesn't want one.  She becomes a champion of women's lib.

Of course, that would require a re-wiring of her personality, but it would be more interesting than who she is now...

• Love 2
6 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Elizabeth has an awakening and comes to the realization she doesn't need a husband, and doesn't want one.

This is actually a big problem with this show.  The anachronisms are many, but all these single women wandering around running businesses and not being married would never have happened.  They'd have been married as teens, not running barbershops.

Back in the day, Elizabeth absolutely would have needed and wanted a husband.  A single mother in a mining and lumber town wouldn't have had the cushy life she has now where she has all the latest fashions, a job (as a widowed mother, no she would not be a school marm), and a magical, invisible laundry service that seems to wash, fluff and fold the dozens of nappies she'd be using daily, among other things.

She would be in exactly the forlorn situation that Nathan would have expected her to be in, as a widow with a baby.  He feels tremendous guilt for Jack taking his place on that mission, and tremendous guilt that Jack's wife is now alone and destitute with a child.  So yeah,  I could see why Rosemary would think his behavior is noble because his help would have very likely been gratefully welcomed if this story had any basis in reality.

She would not be dithering between two men.  She'd have jumped at the first one to offer to chop her firewood for her.

Edited by izabella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, izabella said:

This is actually a big problem with this show.  The anachronisms are many, but all these single women wandering around running businesses and not being married would never have happened.  They'd have been married as teens, not running barbershops.

You’re definitely right. Although apart from Faith and Fiona, all the women are single because their husbands died in  accidents. They probably were married as teens. The redhead, whose character’s name I never remember, actually has/had a daughter that has since disappeared.  I remember because an episode was dedicated  to finding her.

They really do treat the audience like we’re idiots. I doubt it’d be cool for the single school teacher to be hanging out with a man behind closed doors in a saloon. Also we know it’s wartime.  If you don’t want to film the war, then speed through it with time jumps like Downton Abbey did.  You don’t even have to do foxhole action scenes. Cliffhanger can be going to war and  they can do a time jump over the summer break.  At least it’d be something different because a lot of the romance is running on fumes due to every relationship/courtship being drug out forever. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, izabella said:

She would not be dithering between two men.  She'd have jumped at the first one to offer to chop her firewood for her.

I also feel like her super rich, overbearing parents would have dragged her home the moment they heard

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

I also feel like her super rich, overbearing parents would have dragged her home the moment they heard

I read a lot of historical fiction and nonfiction - sadly, during that time period, it was quite typical for someone in Elizabeth's position to give her baby to an orphanage at birth (men who lost wives in childbirth, such as Philip's dad, also). Then she would try to find a new husband as soon as possible, at which time she'd bring her child home.

Despite the wealth of Elizabeth's parents, I could totally see them trying to convince her to go the orphanage route - no doubt hoping that either she wouldn't find another husband in reasonable time or that she would simply allow him to be adopted by someone else, allowing for a "clean break" from her marriage to someone they absolutely didn't want her with.

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, izabella said:

She would be in exactly the forlorn situation that Nathan would have expected her to be in, as a widow with a baby.  He feels tremendous guilt for Jack taking his place on that mission, and tremendous guilt that Jack's wife is now alone and destitute with a child.  So yeah,  I could see why Rosemary would think his behavior is noble because his help would have very likely been gratefully welcomed if this story had any basis in reality.

Exactly, and this is another aspect of the Nathan-Liz thing that they've botched.  If Nathan had been reserved but showed hints of admiration for her, I might buy his sudden declarations of love.  And if this show had even an iota of historical accuracy it would at least make sense that he'd feel an obligation to a destitute and struggling widow.  If she didn't have any money and wasn't permitted to work, she'd jump at the chance to marry either of these guys.  But Elizabeth is definitely not destitute, nor is she struggling, so in the show it just winds up coming across -- once again -- as paternalistic and sexist.  Because no woman can raise a child alone, right?  And no woman's life is complete without a husband?

It reminds me of Bridgerton.  In Bridgerton, a young woman gets pregnant and her child's father dies (they're not yet married), and when she fails to trick a man into marrying her before her secret comes out, she has little choice but to marry her child's father's brother, who feels honor bound to provide for her.  She's not happy about it, but he's her only option at that point apart from ending up a beggar.  And Bridgerton actually owns its historical inaccuracy.  What does it say about WCTH that a show that features Ariana Grande songs playing at regency balls winds up being more accurate and believable?  

• Love 4